Copyright
George Henry Tinkham.

History of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres online

. (page 96 of 177)
Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 96 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Stanislaus County and took charge of a large grain ranch on the West Side — now the




^Vr (^.^C^u^e



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 855

Day Ranch — north of Crows Landing. He had the supervision of 2,000 acres for
seven years and then took up farming on his own account, working a ranch north of
Crows Landing, which he leased for a number of years.

In 1886, he bought 100 acres of the Winter Ranch near the river and due north
of the Brad Crow Ranch ; and he had one of the first alfalfa ranches in Stanislaus
County, upon which he raised mules and horses. There he farmed until 1900. when
he sold out and came to Hughson, where he bought thirty acres of unimproved land
northwest of the town. This he developed to alfalfa, and now he intends setting out
ten acres of it to peaches and apricots.

At Crows Landing, on September 4, 1882, Mr. Carson married Miss Amanda
Thompson, the daughter of John E. Thompson, who was born on April 26, 1838, at
Bowling Green, Ky. He married Miss Mary Oldham, a native of Pike County, Mo.,
the ceremony taking place at Benton, Wis., in the fall of 1860. Four children have
blessed their union: Mabel, now Mrs. Appling, of Richmond; Ethel, who is Mrs.
Collives of Sacramento ; Nina, or Mrs. O'Brien of San Francisco ; and William T. J.

Mr. Carson, who is a Democrat and can talk instructively by the hour on notable
political events in the past, recalls vividly the dry year of 1877, when the fields were
literally covered with dead stock, cattle would become so weak that they would fall
by the wayside, and the supervisors passed a law requiring all cattle and sheep men who
drove their herds from one part of the state to the other to drag from the highway the
animals too weak to travel and unable longer to stand up.

GEORGE W. SQUIRE.— A citizen of California for over thirty-three years, -
George W. Squire has become a resident of Hughson, well thought of for his years
of strenuous, honest labor and the substantial fruits of his toil, gathered entirely by
his own hands. He was born at Barnstable, near Liverpool, England, on October
13, 1864, the son of Philip Squire, a farmer, who had married Miss Elizabeth
Hutchins. He came to America with his wife and family when George was nine
months old, and settled at Paw Paw, Van Buren County, Mich.; and there for a while
• he worked for others at farming, and when he was able to do so, bought a farm,
raised grain and ran a dairy. He died in 1904, his widow having preceded him six
years, leaving behind them an enviable reputation for intelligence and integrity.

With little over three and a half months of schooling a year, available only dur-
ing the winter months, George Squire started to work for wages on a farm when he
was fifteen years old, and nine years later he came to California, in 1887. He stayed
only a short time in San Francisco, and then he took the steamer for Eureka, in
Humboldt County. He tried the hard work of the lumber camps in the woods -.but
at the end of three months gave that up and then hired out as a laborer on a farm.
Once more he went into the woods, and for eight months felled redwood timber, and
then, returning for a short time to San Francisco, he came inland to Modesto, but
finally settled at Waterford, in 1890. He worked for wages for John Roen, an
early settler, and remained on his farm for six months.

This was followed by various short terms on different ranches, and one winter
he spent on Lewis Hickman's ranch. In 1892 he went to San Luis Obispo, and
worked for a season. Then he returned to Stanislaus County and went to work for
E. V. Coggswell at Hickman, and remained there for two and a half years. Returning
to San Luis Obispo, he worked for Mr. Scott on a ranch for two and half years;
and there, on September 1, 1898, he was married to Miss Margaret Paulsen, a native
of Schleswig, Germany, a daughter of Peter N. and Anna K. (Anderson) Paulsen,
who brought their family to Santa Rosa, Cal., arriving July 4. 1878. Later they
moved to Pismo Beach, San Luis Obispo County, where they engaged in general
farming until their death. Mrs. Squire received a good education in the Santa Rosa
public schools, removing to San Luis Obispo County, where she met Mr. Squire.

After his marriage, Mr. Squire purchased a ranch of thirty-six acres, seven miles
from San Luis Obispo and farmed there until 1917, when he sold his ranch and came
to Hughson. Here he bought forty acres on Tully Boulevard, south of town ; he
made the deal in 1912, but he did not move onto the land until 1917. In August,
1919, he purchased thirty-six acres north of the new high school, about a mile from



856 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

town, and this he now has in alfalfa and peach orchard, while the forty acres are
devoted to alfalfa and barley, and a dairy with nineteen cows. He has erected there
a modern house and garage, and made many improvements greatly enhancing the
value of the estate. Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Squire; Elmer who
was educated at the San Luis Obispo Polytechnic and then the Hughson high school from
which he was graduated, now gives valuable assistance on the ranch ; Earl is a high
school student.

ARTHUR G. CROWELL.— A rancher who has the full confidence and good-
will of his fellowmen, is A. G. Crowell, who lives a couple of miles northwest of
Turlock. A native son, proud of his association with the great California common-
wealth, he was born near Hanford, in Kings County, on February 5, 1883, the son
of Abner Buel Crowell, a native of Ohio, who had married Miss Abigail Kanawyer,
of Iowa. Both of these devoted parents are now living, retired, at Oakland, enjoying
the fruits of years of strenuous exertion. In company with his father, Abner Crowell
came out to California, by way of the Isthmus of Panama in 1858, and two years later
returned to Ohio. In 1865 he came west again, this time alone, and settled at Marys-
ville ; and five years later he removed to Hanford, in Kings County. His wife, on the
other hand, crossed the great plains when a girl of nine, accompanying her parents,
who belonged to a party travelling with ox-teams. Abner Crowell was the first mer-
chant at Hanford, and he was also one of the earliest farmers and stockmen of that
country. He established a reputation for exceptional integrity, and he has never
wanted for the esteem of those who know him.

A. G. Crowdl's boyhood days were spent on his father's farm and in his store,
while he attended the local school, and in 1902 he was graduated from the Hanford
high school — an ordinary incident, mayhap, but of more interest owing to Abner
Crowdl's work, as a member of the board of trustees for years, in behalf of the public
schools. Later, the young man was engaged with his father in the manufacture of
cheese; but a disastrous fire caused such loss to the family that, at the age of twenty,
he had to push out into the world on his own resources.

That year he came to Turlock and purchased eighty acres in the Roger Williams
tract, and today he is owner of the sixty-acre farm in a highly developed stage of
agriculture. It was decidedly uphill work at first to make the needed improvements,
but Mr. Crowell is one of those fortunate men who look far ahead and hopefully into
the future, and then — work and work. Since 1912, he has been engaged only in open,
general farming, although prior to that he was dairying; but in whatever he has
attempted, it is not surprising that he has been invariably, in the end, successful.

On July 18, 1906, Mr. Crowell was married to Miss Esther Hall, a native of
Minnesota and the daughter of E. W. and Ingaborg Hall, now among the leading
residents of Turlock. Mrs. Crowell came to Turlock in an early day and was secre-
tary and stenographer to Reverend Hultberg, who was the colonization agent and
brought the Swedish settlers to this section of the country, and she has been an eye-
witness to the development of the country roundabout. Three children were born to
them: Leila Joyce, Gladys Marion and Arthur Verne. Mr. Crowell is a member of
the board of trustees of the Turlock Union High School, and he is also a chairman
of the Turlock board of the Anti-Japanese League. He is a stockholder of the T. M.
& G., incorporated in 1915, is a Republican, and belongs to the Knights of Pythias
and the Modern Woodmen of America.

CHARLES H. AUSTIN. — A progressive, industrious rancher, whose foresight
together with steady labor have enabled him, operating on a broad and thoroughly
up-to-date basis, to attain an enviable prosperity, is Charles H. Austin, a native of
Emporia, Kans., where he was born on December 7, 1880. , His father was G. H.
Austin, a native of Vermont, who had married Miss Florence Washburn, of Wis-
consin. As a genuine Yankee, the elder Austin made his mark in contract building,
and did much in his- time to improve the living conditions of others, as well as to
establish higher architectural standards. Both Mr. and Mrs. G. H. Austin have
joined the silent majority of those who rest from their labors. Eight of their ten
children have survived them, and among these Charles is the third son of the family.




C/ 6, C&A^^S



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 857

When seventeen years of age, Mr. Austin entered the employ of a carpenter, and
after that he spent his life in Kansas as a general contractor and farmer at Emporia.
In 1910, he came out to California and settled at Modesto; and two years later, he
purchased a sixty-acre farm near Keyes, where he has since engaged in general farming.
He is a stockholder and director of the Cooperative Warehouse at Modesto, and as
one of the former local directors of the Farmers Union, he has made many true friends
through his untiring efforts to advance the interests he represented. He is also a stock-
holder of the Cooperative Garage at Modesto.

Mr. Austin was married on March 4, 1903, at Harlan, Kans., to Miss Alma
Coffin, a native of Kansas, and five children have blessed their happy union. Leslie
Irene attends the high school at Turlock; and the others are Charles H. Austin, Jr.,
Robert Dale, Doris Margaret and Mary Lea. A Socialist in politics, Mr. Austin
finds pleasure in serving as president of the board of trustees of the Keyes district
school, and he was also a very active committeeman on the successive Liberty Loan
drives in the Keyes precinct. He belongs to the Masons, where his integrity, unselfish
devotion to ideals, and his genial personality are appreciated at par value.

CHARLES E. CAMP. — A Californian in his native spirit and large-hearted,
broad-minded way of viewing things, through and through, Charles E. Camp exercises
an enviable influence as deputy county assessor of Stanislaus County, and an influence
making for better things. He is another example of the Iowan who has adopted the
Golden State and has contributed toward its development, having been born in the
Hawkeye section of the West, at Belle Plaine, on June 15, 1866. His parents were
James E. and Estella (Burnison) Camp, well known to the people of Iowa, where Mr.
Camp, who operated extensively in trucking, was a deputy sheriff. He came out to
California in 1872, bought 275 acres on American River, in Sacramento County, and
was a farmer in the Sacramento Valley, where he raised stock, hogs and alfalfa.

Charles went to both the grammar and the high schools of Sacramento, and later
attended the College of the Pacific at San Jose, and then took a course at Bainbridge
Business College at Sacramento, from which he was graduated in 1889; after which
he taught bookkeeping in the college for a time, and he also spent a part of his youth
and early manhood on his father's farm, and after his marriage leased a part of the
home place until the fall of 1895, when he removed to Martinez, continuing farming
until 1897, when he came to Stanislaus County, and near Montpellier he farmed a
ranch of 820 acres, planting to grain and maintaining a dairy. After thirteen years,
he sold out his interest and purchased a half-interest in a ranch of 120 acres on the
Stanislaus River near Salida. He had a dairy, and he raised alfalfa. Having rented
out this ranch land, he accepted a position as deputy assessor in 1910, and he has filled
that responsible office ever since. He has also done expert accounting for the county,
and for the Modesto Irrigation District. He holds on to his ranch and to his home,
and so maintains a closer touch with this favored part of California, and feels a deeper
interest in its future than he otherwise would or could.

Mr. Camp was married at Sacramento on June 21, 1892, to Georgiana E. Hall,
who was born near Escalon, in San Joaquin County, Cal., the daughter of Ed. A.
Hall, who had married Miss Mary E. Jones, the daughter of John W. Jones of
Escalon, a pioneer stockman and large landowner in San Joaquin and Stanislaus coun-
ties. Both the Halls and the Joneses were leaders in stock raising in pioneer days and
deserve, as they are sure to receive, proper recognition at the hands of the" historian.
Three children crowned this union: Jessie Elizabeth is Mrs. J. E. Evans of Modesto;
Clarence A. is assistant cashier at the Modesto Bank ; and Frederick A. is with the
Modesto Lumber Company. Mr. Camp joined Wildey Lodge No. 149, I. O. O. F.,
Modesto, and is also a prominent member of the Modesto Encampment of Odd Fel-
lows, having passed through all the chairs and has been representative to the Grand
Encampment of California, and with his wife he is a member of the Rebekahs. He is
also a member of the Knights of Pythias, where he has made the same triumphal prog-
ress and is now keeper of records and seals. He is, besides, a member of the Modesto
Moose, and is a trustee of the lodge.



S58 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

JONAS S. WALLIN. — A Swedish-American who has succeeded well in America,
thereby stimulating others to try their fortune in this favored land, is Jonas S. Wallin,
who came to the Hilmar Colony nearly twenty years ago. He was born in Jemtland,
Northern Sweden, on August 25, 1865, the son of Swens Swanson, who had married
Miss Carrie Olson, of the same province, and he grew up on his father's farm, alter-
nating school with hard work, and getting confirmed, like the rest of the Swedish boys
of Lutheran families, in the middle of his teens. He was one of six children, but
with good parents, each child had all the advantages possible.

In 1893, Mr. Wallin came out to the United States, just in time to see the
World's Fair at Chicago, and located for a while in North Dakota, where he worked
out on farms. Five years later, he went back to Sweden and his home to see his
mother, who had become aged and infirm; and there he remained until 1900.

On returning to America he stopped for two years at Anaconda, Mont., then
came out to California, and after seeing San Francisco and concluding that it did not
offer him, as a city, what he wanted, he came inland and located in Stanislaus County,
where he began to farm on his own account. In 1905, at San Francisco, Mr. Wallin
was made a citizen, and since then has espoused the Republican platform.

Mr. Wallin is the owner of nine acres in North Turlock precinct which he
devotes to a vineyard and intensive farming, and he takes a live interest in the work
of the Cooperative Marketing Association. He is also a member of the United
Growers Association of Turlock, and of the California Associated Raisin Company.

In 1907, he was married to Miss Agnes E. Anderson, a daughter of the late Louis
Anderson, who had married Miss Maria Caroline Carlson, like himself a native of
Vermland, Sweden, where he was born on April 28, 1839, and she on June 5, 1842.
In the old country, Mr. Anderson was known as a skillful carpenter; but on coming
across the ocean, he preferred to follow agricultural pursuits. Hence he farmed, for a
while, in Chisago County, Minn., and after nearly a decade removed with his wife
and family to Kandiyohi County, where they remained until 1902. Then they came
to California and Turlock, and finally settled in the Hilmar Colony. About the
middle of January, 1907, Mr. Anderson was killed through injuries received in a
runaway accident; and eight years later, on July 8, Mrs. Anderson died. At the
time of his death, Mr. Anderson owned about 200 acres, which were willed to his
wife; and when she died, the property was divided among the heirs. Mr. and Mrs.
Wallin are members of the Swedish Mission Church at Turlock, and Mr. Wallin is
a member of the male choir. They have adopted the child of some San Francisco
friends, Ureil Verona, as their own, and enjoy life in their handsome modern residence
which Mr. Wallin erected on his ranch in 1918.

WILLIAM JOHNSON.— A native of Vermland, Sweden— where he was born
on April 6, 1862 — who has made good in California, is William Johnson, the rancher,
who lives one and one-half miles northwest of Turlock, having come to Stanislaus
County nearly twenty years ago. He is the son of Jonas and Sarah Segelson, both
natives of the same province, and the youngest of their five children. Having lost
his mother when he was two years of age, William was reared on his father's farm;
and since his father was an expert carpenter and blacksmith, the lad learned the car-
penter's trade. His schooling was not neglected, however, and according to the custom
of the country and the denominational preferences of his parents, he was confirmed
in the Swedish Lutheran Church when he was fourteen years of age.

When nineteen years of age, William set out into the world for himself, and
coming to America, he located at Minneapolis, where he found plenty of work until
1903. During 1895, he tried farming for nine months in Idaho Falls, Idaho, but
owing to the heavy frosts there he abandoned the effort and resumed carpentering. In
1903 he came to the Pacific Coast. What he saw here led him very soon to purchase
a farm of thirty acres northwest of Turlock, where he commenced farming in 1905;
but after a while he sold a strip of ten acres to his sister-in-law, Mrs. E. M. Rissell,
so he now has twenty acres, which he devotes to a vineyard and an orchard. He belongs
to the United Growers Association, the California Associated Raisin Company, and
the Stanislaus Farmers Union.



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 861

At Turlock, in 1905, Mr. Johnson was married to Miss Julia Anderson, who
was born in Kandiyohi County, Minn., the daughter of Louis and Maria Caroline
(Carlson) Anderson, both born in Vermland, Sweden — the father on April 28, 1839,
and the mother on June 5, 1842. Mr. Anderson was a carpenter by trade, but follow-
ing his marriage and coming to America, in 1869, with his young bride, he took to
farming and located first in Chisago County, Minn., where he followed agriculture
for nine years. He and his wife then moved into Kandiyohi County, where they
farmed prior to coming to Turlock in 1902. Reaching California, they located in
Hilmar Colony, and there he owned 212 acres at the time of his death, which was
caused by a runaway accident, on January 14, 1907.

Mr. Anderson's property was all willed to his widow, who died on July 8, 1915,
and the property was then divided among the heirs, and has since been subdivided and
most of it sold off. So passed, at Turlock, two of Stanislaus County's most highly
respected citizens. Mrs. Johnson was reared in Minnesota, and has certainly proven
the best of wives and mothers. Three children have been granted Mr. and Mrs.
Johnson — Louis Laverne, Doris Caroline, and Leola Juliette.

In 1897 Mr. Johnson received the coveted documents attesting to his full Ameri-
can citizenship; and ever since, as a Republican advocating constitutional prohibition,
he has been demonstrating his quality of "100 per cent American," winning thereby
the esteem and confidence of his fellow citizens.

MERTON W. DEMAREST.— An upright man of much native ability who is
very satisfactorily filling the important post of assistant superintendent of the Modesto
Irrigation District, is Merton W. Demarest, who was born in Michigan, January
20, 1883, the son of George Demarest, a native of New York and of old Knicker-
bocker stock. He came to Michigan when he was sixteen years old, and from there
enlisted in defense of the American Union and served for four years in the Civil
War, as a member of the Ninth Michigan Infantry. He campaigned under General
Thomas, as headquarters guard, and was wounded ; and after the war he returned to
Michigan, where he farmed for a while and then went into the livery business. He
had a first-class livery at Tustin, Osceola County, but was eventually able to retire in
comfort at Grand Rapids, Mich. He had married Miss Julia Baird, a native of Ver-
mont, but of Scotch descent, and she died in Michigan in 1898. They had four chil-
dren, two boys and two girls, and among these Merton, the third oldest in the family,
is one of two in California.

He was brought up and educated at Tustin, enjoying the advantages of both the
grammar and the high schools, although as early as his eleventh year he went to work
in the lumber woods for W. B. Miller & Company. At first he did the tallying, then
he drove the big teams, and finally, in the nine years in which he worked for that firm,
he became foreman. Then he spent five years with the Grand Rapids & Indiana
Railroad Company, and served them faithfully as construction foreman.

At Reed City, Mich., September 18, 1901, he was married to Miss Mabel
Michael, born in Cadillac, Mich., a daughter of George and Mary (Wright) Michael,
born in New York State. They engaged in farming near Cadillac, and there the
mother died in 1895, while the father now makes his home with Mrs. Demarest. In
1908, Mr. Demarest and his wife came out to California and Modesto, where a
brother-in-law, Ernest Michael, had preceded them. Here he was employed at the
carpentering trade, and then he took contracts for building irrigation boxes. After
that he built houses in Turlock, and then he was with the Modesto Lumber Company
as clerk, leaving them to go to the Stanislaus Lumber Company as yard clerk. After
that for A. L. Cressey, he made irrigation boxes for 480 acres.

In 1910, he entered the employ of the Modesto Irrigation District, beginning at
the bottom by tending ditches and working up, and three years later he was made
assistant superintendent and was put in charge of the system, which then had about
14,000 acres under control, whereas it is now serving over 60,000 acres. He manages
165 miles of main canal, and 100 miles of private ditches. When Mr. Demarest ioined
the service there were 250 cubic feet of water, and now there are 1,600. He directs
the labors of from forty-five to fifty men, and keeps every detail of the work under



862 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

absolute control and thoroughly up to the minute. The headquarters of the main-
tenance department of the district has lately been moved to a new site comprising ten
acres on the corner of Woodland Avenue and the State Highway, where Mr. Dema-
rest will reside with his family. The added space gives room for sidings from the
Southern Pacific Railroad, and the concrete pipe works and yards, where they manu-
facture all the concrete pipe used for the district, as well as for commercial use, for
which there is a large demand by the ranchers of the district. There is also plenty of
room for warehouses and barns for the stock as well as garages for autos and trucks.
Seven children blessed the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Demarest. Harold R.
was attending the Annapolis Preparatory School at Goat Island when, by competitive
examination, he was appointed a cadet and now attends the U. S. Naval Academy at
Annapolis. The others are Blanche, Paul, Reva, George, Lola and Lois — the latter
twins. Mrs. Demarest is a member of the First Baptist Church of Modesto, and Mr.
Demarest marches in the ranks of the Republican party, although he gives the heartiest,
nonpartisan support to all sensible measures likely to be of benefit to the community.

THOMAS W. CHENEY.— The son of a California pioneer, and himself a
native son of the Golden State, Thomas W. Cheney has made a prominent place for
himself in industrial development through his activities as a breeder of Jersey cattle
and standard-bred horses, and his extensive interests in the poultry business. His
father, Edward Cheney, was born in Vermont and grew up in the sturdy environ-
ment of the Green Mountain State, afterward being interested in the operation
of cotton mills in Massachusetts. Later he migrated to California and became one
of the pioneer settlers at Bodega Bay, Sonoma County.



Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 96 of 177)