George Langston.

History of Eastland County, Texas online

. (page 10 of 10)
Online LibraryGeorge LangstonHistory of Eastland County, Texas → online text (page 10 of 10)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ground on which to build a school house. When this
was completed the Sunday School went there, and at the
end of Mr. Eeeves' second year there were eighty-seven
members. The church building was erected during the
pnstorate of Rev. Maxwell. The present pastor is Rev.
J. H. Walker.

CHAPTER IX.

The Baptist Chukch. — This church crganization
might be truthfully compared to a mighty oak, whose
roots dig down deep through the soil^ drink in and trans-
mit the food to the trunk, limbs, branches and
leaves, and forage for the minerals that help color
the foliage and make it a thing of joy and beauty, as
well as a protection from the sun's fierce rays and the
storm's beating rain. Nor is this all, it affords the song-
sters of the forest a sheltering place for their young.

As this mighty oak has grown from a tiny acorn and
is now able to withstand the terrible wrenchings of storm
and tornado, so the Baptist Churches have grown in
Eastland County.

Away back many vears ago- -Mr. M'cGough does not
remember the date —under a brush arbor, the Rev. W.
H. Brashears organized the first Baptist Church in East-
land witl) seven members, C. Brashears, J. R. Higgins,
Enoch Dawson. Amanda Dawson, W. C. McGough and
wife and the preacher. This was known as Providence
Baptist Church, and was one of four in the county when
the Rev. C. G-. Stevens of sainted memory projected and
accomplished the organization of that wonderful body
known as the Red Gap Baptist Association, which not



HISTORY OF EASTLAND COUNTY. 207

onlv inclndec! the churches in this County, but finally
embraced all the territory to El Paso and N"ow Mexico.

There now exists a Cisco Baptist Association which
includes all the organizations in the County with two or
three exception-. The locations, names of pastor and
present membership follow:

Carbon— W. B. Cobb, 83.

Cisco— G-. W. Shermaii. 239.

Corinth— E. M. Hunt, 67.

Curtis— G. P. May, 46

Eastland — eT. L. Mayes, 115.

Elm Creek— J. H. Vinson. 78.

Gorman — J. H. Vinson, 182.

Harmony — J. L. Mayes - 48.

Jewell — W. L. Ayers, 59.

Liberty Hill— S. C. Steel, 34.

Long Branch — E. M. Hunt. 114.

Meriman — J. L. Mayes. 59.

Midway— J. J. McCord, 91.

Monroe— D. G. Wells, 113.

Mount Olive— J. J. McCord, 49.

New Hope— E. M. Hunt, 35.

Pleasant Hill, No. 1— George W. Parks, 56.

Pleasant Valley— E. M, Hunt, 68.

Hanger — Z. H. Eeagan, 41.

Eich— I. Lamb, 10.

Rising Star— D. G. Wells, 29.

Round Mountain— G. W. Parks. 61.

Union— G. P. May, 41.

Union Grove— D. G. Wells, 29.

There is an organization at Desdemona, one near



208 HtSTORY OF EASTLAND COUNTY.

Pioneer and one at Ellison's Springs. Rev. C. Brash-
cars is pastor of the last named.

One interesting feature of the work of this associa-
tion is that it keeps a missionary continually in the field.
Rev. I. D. Hull, the present Associational Missionary,
has served several years. Last year the amount reported
paid to missions — home and foreign — was $875.31.
This did not include the $295.18 paid to the Buokner
Orphans' Home, $52 foi ministerial education, nor
$29.30 for the poor.

Rev. J. M. Reynolds, one of the Missionary Evangel-
ists appointed by the State Board of the Baptist Conven-
tion, lives in Cisco.

CHAPTER X.

Other Cpiurches.*

The Rising Star Cumberland Presbyterian
Church was organized by Rev. D. A. Knox in July,
1885, with fourteen members.

Conspicuous in the early history of the church ap-
pear the names of L. M. !Mar shall, J. T. Winfield, H.
W. Joyce, Maxwell brothers and Uncle Georsre and Mila#
Wood. Services were held in the public school building
and in the Methodist Church until 1893, when a house
which is well situated in the northern part of town, was
built. A comfortable manse is situated on the ad-
joining lots.

The church is well officered by a board of six elders
and one deacon, and has a Sabbath school under the ef-

*'See Preface,



HISTORY OF EASTLAND COUNTY. 209

licient management of Prof. G. C. Barnes. The contri-
butions for the different enterprises for the year 1903
exceeded all amounts for previous years together. Mo
public collections are taken.

The present pastor is Eev. Z. T. Blanton. Perfect
harmony prevails and it is hoped that this body may
occupy its place as a persistent factor in the spiritual
uplifitin^- of Rising Star and the surrounding country.

Sa:banno Cumberland Presbyterian Churgil —
This church was organized about 1886 by the Pev. D. A.
Knox. For several years the congregq^tion worshipped
in the school house, holding its revival meetings under a
brush arbor. In the summer of 1896 a house was built,
and since then a tent has been provided for revivals,
which are held annually.

C. C. Bullock is the present pastor, with Messrs. Yv .
A. Erwin, B. F. Shell and J. S. Exwin elders and W. P.
Porter and J. Robert Kincaid deacons.

Liberty Cumberland Presbyterian Church. —
This congregation was organized in 1898 with ten mem^
bers as the result of a revival meeting conducted by the
Rev. W. E. Green.

As a church organization would not be allowed to oc-
cupy the school house, Messrs. S. A. Fleming ( Cumber-
land), Sam Webb (Baptist) and ,W. T. Boyd (Metho-
dist) met and decided to build a union house for these
denominations. THais wsm done. Several revivals have
been held, these dejiominations always co-operating.

The Cumberland Presbyterian Church now has about
forty members. Mlessrs. B. L. Marshall, Louis Mar-
shall, G. B. Kelley, S. A. Flemings and John D. Walker
are the present elders, with Rev. C. C. Bullock as pastor.



MiSTOtlY OF EASTLAND COUNTT. 2ll

The Raxger Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Rev. J. A. Williams, pastor, is in a thriving condi-
tion, with a fine Sunday School and an active Woman's
Foreign Missionary Society. The organization has its
own church building.

In Cisco the Presbyterians have an excellent church
building, well furnished.

The Disciples of Christ have several organiza-
tions and church buildings in the County. Eev. Mc-
Kuight is the pastor of the Cisco congregation. P. C.
Maddox is pastor of the congregation at Rising Star.

Mrs. Mc. D. Hjunter is pastor of the Holiness Church
at Rising Star.

.^

SCHOOL DIRECTORY OF THE COUNTY.

School District No. 1. — Y^ellow Mound, J. H. Jace;
Bedford, F. M. Anthony; Dark Hollow, R. B. Evans;
Pleasant Valley, D. H. Stoddard. Trustees: R. T.
White, J. H. Harbin, J. H. Robbins.

School District Xo. 1 A. — Central, J. F. Dean,
teacher. Trustees : J. B. Short, W. M. Eppler, W. C.
Hazel.

School District ^o. 2.— Freedom, T. E. Payne;
Union, Lillian Hatten; Lone Cedar, Sam Poe. Trus-
tees: L. J. Spann, J. R. Higgins, H. Braohears.

School District Xo.3. — Pleasant Valley, Maude Mur-
phy; High Point, E. Lafoon; Grapevine, E. C. Mur-
phy; Flat Woods, L. D. Harlin. Trustees : D. H. Col-
lins, J. H. Bransford, J. W. Robinson.

School District No. 4. — Conner, Miyrtle Medearis;
Owen, J. A. Brashears; Cross Roads, C. P. Webb ; Mer-



212 EI8T0R T OF EASTLAND CO XJNTT.

riman, W. C. Higgins; Colony, H. C. Pelphrey. Trus-
tees: W. k. Hise, Floyd Brewer, Charles Barker.

School District No. 5. — Triumph, Mattie G^atewood.
Trustees : S. D. Shugart, Z. Z. Butler, W. A. Davis.

School District No. fi. — Eush Creek, J. E. Ervin.
Trustees : W. D. Messimcr, A. P. Barton, J. F. Myers.

School District No. 7. — Tuder, J. W. Harmon.
Trustees: 0. W. Pollard. D. A. Harris, S. H. Boggus.

School District No. 8. — Lone Star, Emma Mahan.
Trustees : Ed Parker, J. T. Jobe, H. F. Thomas.

School District No. 9. — Nash Creek, J. B. Jordan;
Nash Creek, IVCrs. Jessie Sawell. Tl-ustees: E. N.
Echols, J. T. Earnest, E. A. McDonald.

School District No. 10. — Alemieda, E. E. Boucher;
Young Springs, Fannie Koonce. Trustees A. J. Will-
jams; A. S. Chauncey, Joe Jones.

School District No. 11. — Eogers, F. E. King, Pearl
Brabbin. Trustees : E. P. Nix, A. T. Lowe, Hue G-uy.

School District No. 12. — Jewell, H. M. Hayes, Pearl
Mayes. Trustees: E. F. Simms, W. M. Mane, W. J.
Newell.

School District No. 13.— High Knot, Pearl Chas-
tain. Hall Mark, J. E. T.anier; Center Point, Mamie
Lovett. Trustees: T. J. Hilton, J. T. Brown, Will
Greer.

School District No. 14. — Eockwell, W. J. Justice;
Bluff Branch, W. P. Caldwell; Sandy, Bessie Gray;
Liberty Hill, H. W. Gotcher. Trustees, J. W. Stamps,
James Caradine, Eobert Cove.

School District No. 15.— Wood, H. C. Overby; Eeich,
Miss Ulala Howard; Cozart, W. D. Hazel. Trustees:
J. P. Montgomlery, J. P. Leverage, J. H. Ward.



HISTORY 0^ EASTLAND COUNTY. 213

School District No. 15 A. — Mmrod, Adelle Keith;
JVCitchell, Dora Stewart; Hobart, Alice Davidson. Trus-
tees: B. B. Hogan, E. C. Pass, S. L. Yeage.

School District No. 16. — Cook, W. Bashabranner:
Curtis, Will Allen; Ballard, P. P. Holbrook. Trustees:
A. J. Woodyke, K H. Pearce, J. F. jSTichoI^.

School District No. 17.— Long Branch, N. F. Brit-
ton; Eom'ney, W. J. Moreland; Pleasant Hill, E. P.
Moreland; O-riggs, Charles Parker. Trustees: Henry
Milligan, W. L. Brayden, W. L. Barnett.

School District No. 18. — Hickman, Eva Crume
Trustees: G. B. Mullings, W. H. Hughs, S. W. H.
Bushee.

School District 18 A. — Macedonia, Ola Little. Trus-
tees : E. C. Lane, H. B. Anderson, J. A. Haynes.

School District No. 19.— Pioneer, F. W. MuUins,
Julia Mullins. Trustees: S. P. Stovall, F. C. Mc-
Brlde, W. E. W. Smith.

School District No. 20.— Wheat, Mi-s. May Harri-
son. Trustees, J. W. Adams, J. A. Porterfield, F. M.
Hutton.

School District No. 21.— Burnley, M. D. Mullings;
Sabano, W. F. Walker. Trustees: W. T. Boyd, J. T.
Blackwell, J. S. Erwin.

School District No. 22. — ^fountain, Ollin Kinnison.
Trustees : C. H. Gunoway, E. S. Hoon, J. L. Fonville.
School District No. 23. — Howard, Bascomb Mor-
ton. Trustees, W. S. Prater, J. B. Kizer, J. H. Little.
School District No. 24. — Leon, J. T. Singleton.
Trustees: W. E. Yaughi. J. W. Blair, J. iW. Watson,
J. W. Pitman.

School District No. 25.— Elm, J. S. Purdy. Trus-



k4 itiSTOR f 0# ^A STLAND CO UNTf.

tees : W. P. Orr, R. M. Gaun, J. HI Prichard, W. H.
Mancill.

School District No. 26. — Grigsby, Janiiep H. Bat-
man; Jett, 0. A. Fleming. Trustees: J. G. Burgess,
D. P. Taylor, Gus Payne

School District No. 2?. — Glrand View, C. P. Jones,
Mrs. Lassie Jones. Trustees: W. H. Westmoreland,
J. D. Barton, J. W. Carter.

School District No. 28.— Peak, J. B. McEntire.
Trustees : Bill Dill, J. 0. Harris, J. R. Tune.

School District No. 29. — Desdemona. J. H. Hankins,
Mrs. J. H. Hankins. Trustees: J. E. Brown, J. A. Cope-
land, F. E. Terry.

School District No. 30. — Okra, J. 0. Bashaw.
Trustees : D. M. Jacobs, H. E. Shiley, W. H. Mimms.

School District No. 31. — Union, Gypson Crossland,
Mjiss Lillian Hatton. Trustees: S. H. Code. J. L.
Brown, H. D. Marshall.

School District No 32.— Salem, W. T. Skinner.
Trustees : W. N". Hickey, G. R. Hamilton, J. M. Moore.

School District No. 33.— New Hope, M. H. Per-
kins. Trustees: J. L. Brown, W. S. Martin. W. D.
Kinnison.

School District No. 34.— Delmer. J. S. Bond. Trus-
tees : Will Conn, J. E. Duneway, J. H. Kyle.

School District No. 35. — Bullock, J. A. Sander-
ford. Trustees : J. S. Williams, L. M. Cook, A. J. Al-
lison, C. L. Hodges,

School District No. 36.— Oak Grove, H. C. Poe.
Trustees : J. R. Lanier, I . N. Poe.

School District No. 37: — Yellow Branch, R. E.



HISTORY OF EASTLAND COUNTY. 215

Sprawls. Trustees: A. G. Yaunoy, M. M. Doyle, Eli
Gentry, M>. G. Eobertson.

School District No. 38. — Britton, Annie Brooks,
Mamie Brooks. Trustees: A. C. Brown, H. B. Bne,
R. L. Eowe, F. M. Stone.

mDEPENDEN^T SCHOOL DISTRICTS

Cisco. — Superintendent. E. L. Abbott; A. V Britton,
W.T. Bachelor, E. Jung, Miss Bettie Harbison, Miss An-
na Lee Fisher, Miss Annie Laurie Brown, Miss Frederic
Mosley, Miss Sadie Yarnell — Miss Martha Conner
Green^ Primary. Trustees. L. E. Brannin, President; W.
L. Armstrong, Vice President; Dr. W. P. Lee, Secre-
tary Arthur Grist, Treasurer; J. M. Williamson, Judge
D. K. Scott, T. J. Worthington.

Gorman — Superintendent. A. C. Ferguson; A. H.
King, Alex Allen, Mrs. Tranquil McDanieL Miss Claire
Eush; Art, Miss Bailey. Trustees : J. Q. Eppler, Pres-
ident; T. L. Gates, Secretary and Treasurer; W. S.
AVood, J. A. Jones, W. L. Terry. W. F. Burleson, E. F.
Nelson.

Carbon. — J. Speed Carroll, Superintendent; W. J.
Allison, Binkley Drake, Miss Eebecca White. Miss John-
nie Reed. Trustees: S. P. Finley, President: E. H.
Boyett, Secretary; J. F. Edmondson. Treasurer: E. L.
Littleton, T. L. Tucker, J. E. Foster, A. B.ston.

Scranton. — 0. C. Britton, Superintendent; C. C,
Bullock, Mrs. J. S. Bond; Miss Lillian Bell, Music.
Trustees: A. M. Sprawls, President; F. G. Boyd, Sec-
retary; W. T. Eutherford, Treasurer; W. T. Gattis, As-



216 HISTOR Y OF EA STL AN V CO VNTY,

sessor and Collector: W. D. Clinton, J. J. Ray, J. R.
Sprawls.

Ranger. — C. D. Judd, J. E. Peters, Co-Principals;
Miss Ira Maxwell, Miss Jessie Cooper. Trustees : F. W.
Melvin, President; B. P. Davenport, Secretary; W. R.
Hodges, Treasurer; R. L. Page, J. H. Harrison, H. W.
Hilliard, J. M. Rice.

Rising Star. — E. H. Jones, Geo. F. Barnes, Prin-
cipals; Miss Osie Hickman, Miss Minnie Brewer. Miss
Erie Rich; J. E. Wells, Music; Miss Harmon Barber,
Elocution. Trustees: H. E. Anderson, President; A.
J. Rhone, Secretary; W. S. Michael, Treasurer: F. B.
Weaver, Collector; W. C. White, J. A. Terrel, R. Garner.

Eastland. — W. A. Bynum, Superintendent; Miss
J osie Garner, Mrs. Julia Mayes, Miss Minnie M'ood.
Trustees: C. U. Connellee, President; E, Roper, Sec-
retary; M. Hill, Treasurer; J. R. Frost, J. J. Morgan,
S. J. Day, J. T. Morton.

OFFICIAL DIRECTORY.
County Judges.
J. H. Calhoun, April, 1876; resigned October, 1877.

A. Lawrence, 1877-78.

J. T. Hammons, 1878-1888.
R. M. Black, 1882-8t;.
J. T. Hammions, 188^.-88.
D. K. Scott, 1888-1892.
W. G. Davenport, 1802-94.
G. W. Dakan, 1894-90.

B. F. Chastain, 1896-98.
G. W. Dakan, 1898-1900.

J. R. Stubblefield, 1900-1902.



mSTORY OF EASTLAND COUNTV. 21^

Present County Officers.
S. A. Bryant, Judge.
Ed T. Cox, Clerk.
G. W. Redford, Sheriff.
George Davenport, County Attorney.
D. E. Jones, Tax Collector.
W. C. MJoore, Tax Assessor.
Walter Clegg, Treasurer.
J. H. Calhoun, District Judge.
Mr. Cunningham, District Attorney.
R. L. Davenport, District Clerk.
Homer P. Brelsford, Eepresentative.
Mr. Sebastian, Breckenridge, Senator.
Judge W. E. Smith, Colorado, Congressional Repre-
sentative.

GEOLOGY OF EASTLAND COUNTY.

By Phof. W. F. Cummins

The geology of Eastland County is very simple, as
the strata belong to only two of the great geological
series, the carboniferous and cretaceous. The cretaceous
is found only along the southern border of the County,
This formation forms no very great nor conspicuous
area in the County, and consists principally of "san(i
roughs." The areas were once covered by beds of lime-?
»!tone, which has long since been eroded and the sands
are the remnants of a once continuous bed that covered
the whole eountry to the foot of the mountains west of
the Pecos River. The beds belong to the Trinity sand
fonnation, and forms a part of the catchment area that



318 HISTORY OF EASTLAND COUNTY.

supplies with water the great artesian water belt lying
to the southeastward. This area was originally cov-
ered with a dense growth of dwarf oaks. The surface
is generally level, very few of the hills being promi-
nent. The term rolling i? very applicable, to this phase
of topography. A friable sand of variable thickness
deposited upon a hard floor of Paleozoic rocks, and
subjected to the action of the prevailing atmospheric
agejicies, has given this character of topography.

The remainder of the County belongs to the carbon-
iferous period. In describing the carboniferous in
Texas I divided the strata into these divisions :

5. Cisco. 4. Canyon. 3. Strawn. 2. Millsap.
1. Bend.

The Cisco division is the highest and most recent
of the divisions. One traveling westward alon.i: the
Texas and Pacific Eailroad goes off the cretaceous on to
the Millsap division of the carboniferous about two
miles east of Millsap. He would go off to the carbon-
iferous about half way between Baird and Putnam. The
Bend Division does not occur at the surface anywhere
in this part of the State, but has been found in deep
wells at Thurber and Fort Worth.

The following sketch will show the relative posi-
tion of the divisions as they occur in this part of the
State:

It is unnecessary to give a description of any of the
divisions except that of the Canyon and Cisco. The
Canyon division occurs in the eastren part of the Coun-
ty, and was so namied from the prominence with which
gome of the strata are seen at Canyon, in the western



HISTORY OF EASTLAND COUNTY. 219

part of Palo Pir.to County, along the line of the Te;?as
and Pacific Eailway. This division is composed very
largely of massive limestone, and may be easily recog-
nized by this fact, the limestone in the other divisions
being much thinner bedded.

The beds of the Cisco division are well exposed in
the vicinity of Cisco, and the, division was so named for
this reason. The strata are mostly composed of con-
glomerates, sandstones, clays and shales. This division
extends from northeast to southwest through the en-
tire county. It is distinguished by its stratigraphic
position below, it being found always in the heavv beds
of the Canyon division.

The strata of the cretaceous dip to the southeast,
while the strata of the carboniferous dip to the north-
west, in an exactly opposite direction. The dip of the
carboniferous is at the rate of about sixty feet to the
mile. This fact will preclude the notion that flowing
artesian water can be found at Cisco or vicinity, the
recurving area being lower than any point to the west-
ward, and water will not rise higher than its source.

There are nine coal seams in the, carboniferous
formation in Texas. Wlien I made ray report on the
coal fields of Texas, the first section of the coal measures
ever published in Texas, T numhered these beds from
one to nine inclusive. Only two of these seams are
thick enough to be of any commercial value. These
are numbers two and seven. Number two is found at
Thurber, Eock Creek and Bridgeport. Number seven
is found in Eastland, Young, Jack and Montague Coun-
ties. Some attempts have been made to develop the
coal in the vicinity of Cisco, in Eastland County, but



S20 MISTOR Y OP EASTLAND GO UNTY.

without any very great success. The outcrops of this
seam in the northern portion of this County are nu-
merous. The seam is twenty inches thick, with a band
of slate above it, followed by a seam of coal four inches
tliick. The band of slate is from four to ten inches
thick between the coal seams. At another place where
I examined this seam are nine inches of coal and twentv
inches of bituminous shale. This shale will burn when
put on the fire, but loses none of its bulk in burning,
and is absolutely worthless as a fuel. The difficulty
in working this seam of coal in this vicinity is the fact
of the thinness of the seam, and the further fact that
if both seams are mined the stratum of bituminous shale
will have to be taken out of the mine, for it is so
highly impregnated with sulphuret of iron that when
the material is exposed to the atmosphere and it slacks,
the sulphuric acid escaping will set the whole mass on
fire.

There are no other minerals in this County of any
economical value. Gold and silver have been reported
at several places, but the amount has always been so
small that it would not pay to develop. Iron occurs
at many places in several forms, but it is always of
too small a percentage of metallic iron to be of any
commercial value.



9 872





1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 10

Online LibraryGeorge LangstonHistory of Eastland County, Texas → online text (page 10 of 10)