Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 100 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 100 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Democratic party, but his large practice and
his devotion to books have left him little time
for public afifairs, and he has never found it
convenient to accept any of the many official
honors which have been tendered him.

GEORGE F. SHIVE. president of the
Codorus Canning Company, of Jefferson bor-
ough. York county, is one of the substantial
and representative business men of this section.
He was born in Dover township, in 1851. son
of George F. Shive. Sr.

George F. Shive. ■ Sr.. was a tanner by
trade, which he followed in Dover and North
Codorus townships, until his death in his sixty-
eighth year. He married Rebecca Sheaf¥er,
who died aged sixty-four years, and they are
both interred at Prospect Hill cemetery. They
had children as follows : Albert. Samuel. John,
Amos. Henry, Ellen (deceased), George F.
and Daniel.

George F. Shive attended the schools of
North Codorus township, and when a young
man began his business career as a clerk in the
store of Henry Bott, at Seven Valley. There
he remained three years, after which he went
to York New Salem with Schwartz & Sons,
with whom he continued four years. His first
business venture was at York New Salem,
where he engaged in mercantile pursuits, con-
tinuing there three years, after which he lo-
cated in Jefferson borough, and opened a gen-
eral store, becoming one of the leading busi-
ness men of the borough. He retired from this
business April i, 1902. turning the business
over to his sons, who are operating it under the
old name, George F. Shive & Sons. A full
line of goods of all kinds is carried by these
enterprising young men. and' the trade extends
for many miles around.

George F. Shive married Miss Maggie
Snyder, 'daughter of John B. Snyder, and to
this union these children have been born : Mil-
lard, the head of the firm, married Lizzie Myer,



BIOGRAPHICAL



523



and has one child, George Niles ; Elwood, also
a member of the firm, is single ; and Fred, the
yonngest, is with Fulton Mehring & Co., of
New York. The postoffice was formerly sit-
uated in the Shive's store, and George F. was
postmaster. Mr. Shive was one of the pro-
moters of the Codorus Canning Co., and was
elected its president, a position he has since
held. This company cans corn, beans, toma-
toes, apples, pumpkins, catsup, etc., and the
plant is 40x212 feet, two stories high, and is
fitted out with the latest and best improved
machinery. It is situated along the Western
Maryland railroad. From seventy-five to one
hundred and fifty hands are employed, and the
daily capacity of the factory is 4,000 cans. Mr.
Shive is also on the board of directors of the
Drovers" and Mechanics' Bank of York.

In politics Mr. Shive is a Republican, and
he served his borough as chief burgess, council-
man and school director. He is a Lutheran,
in religion, and in the work of the church he
takes an active part.

DANIEL IMMEL (deceased), for many
years very prominent in business and financial
circles of York, Pa., was born in that city in
1 810, and was a descendant of an old family
of good old German stock.

John Leonard Immel was born Nov. 17,
1702, at Wernetz, Rothenburg-on-the-Tauber,
and his wife Margaret was born July 5, 1714,
at Watzendorf, Germany. He came to Amer-
ica in 1732, locating in York county, where
she settled in 1733. On November 26th of the
latter year they were married, and eight chil-
dren were born to the union : George Michael,
in 1735; Anna Margaret, 1736; Barbara,
1738; Christian, April, 1742; John, March 25,
1744; Sybilla, March 25, 1748; Maria M.,
April 4, 1745; and Eva Maria, Dec. 4, 1756.
Of the above family five children were mem-
bers of the Moravian Church of York, with
which the parents were also connected. John
Leonard Immel died Dec. 29, 1777, and was
buried on the 31st of the same month.

Daniel Immel, the father of the York con-
tractor and builder, was a farmer in Spring
Garden township, near York, and a highly es-
teemed citizen. He married Elizabeth Streber,
daughter of Peter Streber. Mr. Immel died
■\-ery j^oung, his wife surviving until her sev-
entieth year. They had a family of three chil-
dren : John, Alexander and Daniel, all de-
ceased.



Daniel Immel received a common school
education, and learned the carpenter's trade.
Lie engaged in the contracting and building
business for many years in York, being em-
ployed in that line at the time of his death in
1884. He married (first) Susan VVeiser, by
whom he had two children, Albert W. and
Catherine. His second marriage was to Anna
Miaria Peififer, daughter of Christopher and
Elizabeth (Hyde) Peiffer, and she died at the
age of sixty-three years. Both were buried at
the Prospect Hill cemetery. Of their children
George, who married Ida Herman, is a printer
of York; and Miss M. Florence resides at No.
538 West Market street, York.

LEONARD WALLER, a genial and
well-known hotel-keeper of Hellam township,
York count3^ has had an extensive and varied
business experience, and is a large property
owner, having many interests besides his hotel.

Mr. ^Valler was bom Feb. 17, 1840, in
Marietta, Lancaster Co., Pa. His father, John
Waller, was born in Germany, and came to
America as a boy, locating in Marietta, Pa.,
where he worked in a distillery and was vari-
ously employed for many years. He married,
in Marietta, Sarah Shields, daughter of Leon-
ard Shields, a native of that place, ot Scotch-
Irish descent. John Waller died at the age of
fiftj'-four, and his widow survived six months.
They had children as follows : Frederick, who
is now a retired butcher of Marietta; Susan,
who married Thomas Cummings, of Lancas-
ter, Pa. ; John, who was a soldier in the Civil
war, was wounded in the hip at the battle of
Chancellorsville, and died at Harrisburg, Pa. ;
Leonard, who is mentioned below : Sarah, who
married George Rudesill, of Marietta; George,
who served in the Civil war, in the I22d Penn-
sjdvania Regiment, was wounded in the leg
at Chancellorsville, and died at Lykens, Pa. ;
Catherine, who married John Deichler, and
lives in Philadelphia, a widow ; and Emma,
widow of John Huberg, who lives in Lancas-
ter.

Leonard Waller grew to manhood in his
native place, and obtained his education in the
common schools. His parents died when he
was sixteen. After leaving school he began
to learn the trade of butcher, but giving- that
up became a pilot on the Susquehanna river,
between Lock Haven and Peach Bottom. He
followed that calling for over thirty years, and
then went into the liquor business in ]\Iarietta,



524



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



where he continued live years. He then began
his career as a hotel man, in which business he
has since been successfully engaged. For four
3'ears he was proprietor of the "Indian Queen;"
then he retired to private life for two years,
and in 1895 nioved to his present hotel. This
delightful summer resort known as "Acco-
mac," is situated on the York county side of
the Susquehanna river, directly opposite Ma-
rietta, and has direct communication with Ma-
rietta by steam ferry. Mr. Waller bought this
property in 1899, and has built up an enviable
reputation as the genial landlord of a comfor-
table house. Fine bass and salmon fishing- is
to be had here, and Mr. Waller has a shad fish-
ery on the place, one of the largest along the
river.

[Mr. \\'aller is a veteran of the Civil war,
and saw service at Chancellorsville and Wash-
ington. He enlisted Aug. 12, 1862, at Harris-
burg for nine months' service, becoming cor-
poral in Company H, 135th P. V. I. His
brothers, John and George, were also in the
Union armv, John in the same company with
^Ir. Waller.

AMien twenty-three years of age, Mr. Wal-
ler married Mary Jane Pearson, of Chestnut
Hill, Lancaster county, daughter of William
Pearson. They have two children : Emma
Frances, Mrs. Robert Gift, of Harrisburg-; and
John M., in business with his father, married
to Tillie Hogendobler. Mr. and Mrs. Waller
attend the Methodist Church. Mr. Waller is
a RepLiblican in political faith.

ANDREW J. HAACK (deceased). Few
men of York were better known in business cir-
cles than the late Andrew J. Haack, a veteran of
the Civil war, Avho for twenty-five years was
engaged in the oil business. Mr. Haack's death
occurred June 20, 1898, and he was buried at
Prospect Hill cemetery. Of his brothers,
Lieut. Charles Haack was killed in the Civil
war: and William A., a carpenter of York, and
Lewis R., a painter and paper hanger in the
West, were also participants in the great con-
flict.

Andrew J. Haack received a common
school education and learned the shoemaker's
trade, which he followed six years, and then
engaged in the oil business, both wholesale and
retail, his establishment being on South Duke
street for a period of twenty-five years.

In 1863 Air. Haack was united in marriage
with Cassie FTartman, daughter of Jonathan



and Cassie Ann (Innerst) Hartman, and to
this union these children were born: Ida, the
wife of Henry Schaale, a tailor of York;
Charles F., who married Armeda Hassler, and
continued his father's business; Minnie, wife
of Edward Spangler; Clara, wife of Charles
Alexander : Sadie, wife of Jacob Reigart ; Mag-
gie, wife of Henry Drayef ; Annie, married to
Charles Levernite; and Grace B., living at
home.

So closely has the Hartman family been
identified with the business life of York coun-
ty, that towrite the history of one is practically
to write the history of the other, and among
the members of this family are to be found
many of those energetic industrious men who
have transformed the possibility of a busy,
prosperous York county, into the reality.

The maternal grandparents of Mrs. Haack
were Christian and Mary Innerst, and her
paternal grandfather was Lewis Hartman.
Jonathan Hartman, the father of Mrs. Haack,
died Nov. 13, 1880, while his wife passed away
Jan. 6, 1873. He had three brothers and one
sister — George, Peter, Lewis and Leah. She
also had three brothers and one sister — John,
Jesse, Isaac and Mary, the latter of whom was
the wife of ex-Sheriff James Peeling. Jona-
than and Cassie Ann Hartman had a large
family of children, namely: Hayman and
Gideon, deceased ; Enoch : Cain, deceased ;
Abel : Aquilla ; Paris ; Peter and Oreb,
deceased : Julia Ann, the wife of Frank-
lin Geesey; Sarah, the wife of William
Grim, and Rebecca, the wife of William Bly-
mire, both deceased ; Lydia, the wife of Isaac
Minnich, deceased ; Cassie Ann, the widow of
Andrew J. Haack; Lavina, the wife of Chris-
tian Eberly: Priscilla, the wife of Samuel
Conaway ; Barbara, who married Charles Fix,
and Abel Van Buren, Jonathan Hartman was
one of the best known citizens of York county,
and at the time of his death was holding the
position of justice of the peace for Dallastown,
a position he had filled there and in York town-
ship for forty years.

Mr. Haack was a Republican in his politi-
cal sympathies, but never entered the political
field, and although very popular with his fel-
low townsmen would never accept public oflice.
Mrs. Haack resides at No. 428 South Duke
street, York.

MICHAEL S:\IYSER, deputy collector
of internal revenue, was born in York, Aug.



BIOGRAPHICAL



7, 1840, son of ^Michael and Eliza (Lanius)
Smyser.

Jacol3 Sm3'ser, the grandfather of JNIichael,
was born, in the city of York, and there Hved
and died. His tannery was a well-known
land-mark.

Michael Smyser, son of Jacob and father
of Michael, was a farmer of York county,
where he died in 1874, aged seventj^-five 3'ears.
His wife was Eliza Lanius, an aunt of Capt.
W. H. Lanius. To Michael Smyser and his
wife nine children were born, of whom the fol-
li iwing are deceased : Jacob, who died at the
age of twenty-nine years; Dr. Henry L., wdio
died in 1902, at the age of seventy-one years;
Ellen, who married Rev. Hagen, a Moravian
clergyman of New York ; and Eliza, wdio mar-
ried S. B. Barnitz and died in York. The sur-
vivors of this family are: Annie M., widow of
D. F. Williams, of York; Albert, a retired
lumber merchant and tanner of York ; Thomas
C, a retired tanner of York; Lewis E., a coal
and lumber merchant of York; and Michael.

Michael Smyser was edvicated in York and
at John Beck's celebrated school at Lititz, Lan-
caster county. His first occupation was in the
drug business at Pittsburg, and later five years
at Baltimore. In August, 1861, he enlisted for
a term of three years, as a member of Com-
pany F, 87th P. V. I., and was made commis-
sary sergeant. Mr. Smyser's record as a sol-
dier was one to be eminenth' pi'oud of. On
June 24, 1863, he was made prisoner at Win-
chester and for two months was confined at
Libby prison and at Belle Isle. At the close
of the war, Mr. Smyser went West, but re-
turned to York and engaged in the lumber and
planing mill business. He then entered the
hardware business, engaging in that occupa-
tion from 1870 until 1888, when he entered
the internal revenue service as deputy collec-
tor, and has continued in that capacity to the
present time, with the exception of the period
covered by President Cleveland's administra-
tions.

Mr. Smyser was married Jan. 10, 1857, to
Annie E. Straughn, daughter of James
Straughn, of Cambridge, Md., and six chil-
dren have been born to this union : James S.,
a salesman; Clara L., at home; Willis L., a
druggist ; Edmund P., shipping clerk at Black's
Hosier)' Mills ; Annie Grace, a school teacher
at York; and Elsie May, a music teacher. Mr.
Smvser is a member of the Union Veteran Le-



gion, No. 65, of York, which he is now adju-
tant, and is a past colonel. He is an earnest
member of the M. E. Church, and has been
steward antl superintendent of the Sunday-
school of the Princess Street Church. In poli-
tics Mr. Smyser is a stanch and unflinching
Republican, and he stands high in public es-
teem, his views being given consideration in all
public matters.

JOHN H. COOVER (deceased), for
many years one of the substantial farmers of
Monag'han township, York county, was born
on the old Coover farm, near Farley's Church,
in Monaghan township, Oct. 9, 1821, son of
Jacob and Elizabeth (Morett) Coover.

The Coo\-er family are of German descent,
the grandfather coming from Germany, and
settling in York county at an early date. He
reared a large family, among wdiom was Ja-
cob, the father of John H.

Jacob Coover settled in Monaghan town-
ship when a young man, and purchased a tract
of 300 acres or more, near Farley's Church,
where he had the following children :
Levi ; Susan, married to Christian Bow-
man ; Michael ; Mary, married to John Lei-
dich; Jacob; ]\Irs. Eliza Mumber; John H. :
Mrs. Sarah Harman; Samuel; Mrs. Catherine
Hyde; and Daniel. In their religious views
Jacob Coover and his wife were members of
the Lutheran Church, while in politics yir.
Coover was a stanch \Vhig.

John H. Coover remained at home until
he reached his majority. He chose farming as
his life pursuit, working- upon the home prop-
erty until i860, when he purchased the farm
now owned by his widow. There he farmed
with success until his death, Sept. 11. 1897. his
burial being in Monaghan township. INlr.
Coo\'er was a man highly respected in his com-
munity, and in his death the township lost a
useful citizen.

On June 30, 1859, Mr. Coover married
Mary Ann Mioser, daughter of Jacob i\Ioser.
Mrs. Coover was born in Amity township.
Berks county, and as her father died when she
was about ten years old she went to live with
her brother. Judge Henry G. Moser. The chil-
dren born to Mr. and Mrs. Coover were as fol-
lows : Anna E., born July 18, 1861. married
John Beisline, of Mechanicsburg, and they
Iia\-e one child. May; Elizabeth J. and Henry
M. (twins) died when they were eight months



526



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



old: John ^[.. born April 25. 1874, educated in
the common schools of JNIonaghan township,
remained at home until 1896, when he went to
Illinois, and engaged in the warehouse busi-
ness until 1903, in that year removing\to Lou-
isiana, where he continued that line, but is
now at ]\Iorse, La., in the rice business (he
married Cora Hutton who was born in Shep-
herdstown, Cumberland county). In religion
Mrs. Coover is a member of the Lutheran
Church. She is a woman of marked personal
charms, and enjoys the friendship of a large
circle who love her many estimable traits of
character.

DAVID :\IURRAY COLLINS, one of
the well kno\\n citizens and prosperous farm-
ers of East Hopewell township, York county,
was born Nov. 12, 1848, on the farm he now
owns, and on which he has passed the greater
portion of his life. His parents were John and
Margaret Jane (Wilson) Collins.

John Collins, the father, was born March
22, 1795, on the farm in East Hopewell town-
ship now known as the Robert AVilson place,
and on which his father settled. He farmed all
his life. After his marriage he located on the
farm where David M. Collins was born, and
there he died Dec. 12, 1885. He was an edu-
cated man for his day, and was prominent in
township and church affairs. A Whig in early
life, later he became a Republican. He took
much interest in the U. P. Church in which he
was an elder. He married Margaret Jane Wil-
son, born in Fawn township close to Gatchell-
ville, and she died in 1891, aged eighty-five
vears. The children of John Collins and wife
were: John H., deceased, who married Eliza-
beth Anderson ; Elinor, wife of Archibald Hy-
son, of York township ; Margaret Jane, un-
married : James W., of Fenmore Station, a
veteran of the Civil war, in which he served in
Company B, First battalion, and later (second
enlistment) in the 21st Pa. Cavalry (he mar-
ried Anna S. M'ilson) : Elizabeth G., Mrs.
Aquila Bartel, of Hopewell township: and
Da\'id M.

The grandfather of 'Sir. Collins was also
John Collins, and he was born in Fawn town-
ship and later came. to Hopewell, now East
Hopewell township, and settled upon a farm of
about 300 acres, where he passed the balance
of his life. A brother served in the Revolu-
tionary war. John Collins, the grandfather.



married Margaret Gemmill and they had chil-
dren, as follows: James, and William, soldiers
of the war of 1812 ; John, father of David M. ;
Samuel, ^vho died in East Hopewell township ;
Margaret, Mrs. Gemmill, who died in York
township : David, who lived and died in In-
diana: Alexander, who died in Philadelphia;
Grace, who married William Liggitt and died
in York township ; Jane Ann, who married
.Jackson W. Grove, and died in East Hope-
well : Cornelius, who died near Shrewsbury,
and who was the father of the present cashier
of the Shrewsbury bank. The family was
founded in America by William Collins, the
great-grandfather of David M., who came
from the North of Ireland.

David M. Collins was reared a farmer's
boy, and attended the public schools until
about seventeen years old. He was a very apt
student and took advantage of every opportu-
nity to increase his knowledge. He recalls as
among his early teachers familiar names to
many residents of East Hopewell township —
David P. and W. N. McAlister, Mary Cul-
mary, Eugene Elderdice (who later became a
preacher), Matthew H. McCall (now president
of the First National Bank of York), John L.
Grove (now a U. P. minister), Sarah M.
Smith, James and Andrew Ramsay and An-
drew G. Collins. As stated Mr. Collins was
reared on the farm, and under his father's ca-
pable training he learned the many secrets of
agriculture. After the death of his father, in
1886, he bought the home farm, which em-
braces 123 acres of fertile land of a rolling
character. He has it well-cultivated and well-
stocked, and has erected sheds, barns and other
buildings useful in the growing and curing of
his various crops, including tobacco.

Mr. Collins was married March 13, 1890,
by Rev. John Jamison, pastor of the Hopewell
L^ P. Church, in Lower Chanceford township,
to Miss Catherine Mary Wallace, daughter of
John T. and Millicent (Gibson) Wallace, the
"former of whom died in the fall of 1890, and
the latter, in 1903. The children of this
union are : Robert Murray, born July 14,
1893: John Thomas, Nov. 27. 1894: Margaret
Jane, Jan. 9, 1896: Samuel Jamison, Dec. i,
1900; Elinor Elizabeth Gibson, June 7, 1902,
and Martia Grace, born July 6, 1904. IMr.
Collins is a member of the Guinston U. P.
Church of Chanceford township and has been
one of its trustees for the past eighteen years.



BIOGRAPHICAL



527



He is a stanch Republican in politics and lias
served two terms as township auditor. He is
a man of upright character and one of East
HopewelTs representative citizens.

WILLIAM H. PETERS, of Dallastown,
is a member of one of the old and influential
families of York county, where he is a repre-
sentative of the third generation of the family.
He was born on the old homestead in York
township, York county. Pa., June 23, 1849,
son of \\'illiam and iNIary (Wilhelm) Peters,
both of whom were likewise born and reared
in that county.

William Peters, the father, devoted the ma-
jor portion of his active career to agricultural
pursuits, having" been one of the prominent and ,
influential citizens of York. township, where he
ever commanded the unqualified esteem of all
his associates. He.died in 1892, at the age of
sevent3 - six years, and his widow has (1905)
attained the venerable age of eig'hty-nine
years, being- a resident of the village of Spry,
where she resides with her elder daughter.
Her parents were Henry and Catharine
(Schrock) Wilhelm, the former having been
a captain in the war of 18 12 and well known,
under his military title, throughout that sec-
tion of the State. He died in 1882, well ad-
vanced in years, and his wife was ninety-six
years of age at the time of her demise. The
paternal grandfather of William H. was David
Peters. ^^'iIliam and Mary (Wilhelm) Peters
became the parents of seven children, as fol-
lows: Eliza J., single; JMoses died in boy-
hood; Mary is the wife of William H. Cona-
way, of Spry, York county ; William H., our
subject, is a twin to Mary; Susan, the wife of
Lewis Ahrens, of York ; Elizabeth died aged
six, and another child died in infancy unnamed.

William H. Peters was reared to the invig-
orating discipline of the farm, while his edu-
cational advantages were such as were af-
forded by the common schools of his native
township. He continued to be identified with
agricultural pursuits until he had attained the
age of twenty-three 3-ears, when he secured a
clerical position in a general store in Dallas-
town, \\-here he remained until 1874, and
throug"h this association gained valuable busi-
ness experience. In the year mentioned he
removed to Baltimore, ]\Id., where he was em-
ployed until 1876, when he returned to Dal-
lastown and accepted a clerkship in the mer-



cantile establishment of Charles H. Keesey,
with whom he remained for the ensuing six
years. In 1886 Mr. Peters commenced his in-
dependent business career by engaging in the
manufacture of cigars in Dallastown, where he
also became a wholesale dealer in baskets of
local manufacture. He built up an excellent
trade in the cigar department of his manufac-
tory, but so rapidly did the scope and import -
ance of his basket industry increase that he
found it expedient after a few years to dispose
of his cigar business and devote his entire at-
tention to the basket enterprise: this he
still continues, making shipments to di-
verse sections of the Union and realizing ex-
cellent financial returns. In 1899 he again
identified himself with the cigar business,
which he handles on an extensive scale in a
wholesale way, utilizing the local product but
not maintaining a factory of his own. He is
known as an energetic, far-sighted and pro-
pressive business man, while his personal in-
tegrity and his loyalty as a citizen have ce-
mented the respect and good will of all with
whom he has been variously associated. In
political allegiance he is identified with the
Democratic party, and has served in various
local positions of trust, having for the past fif-
teen years held a school directorship in Dal-
lastown, and previously for nine years, a simi-
lar position in another district of York town-
ship. In 1873 lie was assessor of that town-'
ship and in the following year served as tax
collector, while for fifteen years he was justice
of the peace in Dallastown, retiring from the
ofiice in 1901. I\Ir. Peters is identified with a
number of local enterprises of importance,
aside from that of which mention has already



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 100 of 201)