Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 102 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 102 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the middle of the eighteenth century, but at
that period was identified with Lancaster
county, and it was not until after 1800 that it
was first represented in York county by John
Gehly, grandfather of John C. Gehly.



BIOGRAPHICAL



533



John Gehly was born in Lancaster county,
near Ephrata, in 1777, but migrated to York
county in early manhood. He located in \\'ind-
sor township, married Annie Lehman, whose
father, Frederick Lehman, also came originally
from Lancaster county, and became a farmer
of prominence, also following his trade as a
cooper. He was a ^Vhig in politics, and a
Mennonite in religious belief. He died June
18, 1846, and was buried on his farm in the
Gehly burying ground, which he had himself
located there. The children born to him and
his wife were : Lydia, Mrs. John Wallick, who
died in East York; David, wdio lived only six-
teen years ; Daniel L. ; Mary, Mrs. John E.
Beard, who died in lower Windsor township,
aged thirty-nine. Frederick Lehman, ]\Irs.
Gehly' s father, moved to York county when a
young man, married there, and settled on the
farm now occupied by John C. Gehh-. where
Mrs. Gehly was born.

Daniel Lehman Gehly was born in Windsor
township, Oct. 15, 1807, and was brought up
on his father's farm. He was sent to private
schools and made the most of his opportunities,
being naturally a student and deep thinker.
He learned the process of making woolen goods
which was then used, worked at mills in dif-
ferent places and became both well known and
highly esteemed. He was active in public af-
fairs, was a colonel of militia, and in 1846 was
elected on the Whig ticket to the Assembly,
where, however, nearly all his colleagues were
Democrats. He was an ardent Whig until the
Republican party was formed and then adopted
its principles, having always been opposed to
slavery. In religious belief he was a Mennonite.
Daniel L. Gehly was married in 1834 to JMar-
garetta Ann Dosch, who was born in Lower
Windsor township in 1834, her father being
John C. Dosch, a prominent farmer there and
a colonel in the militia. The children born to
this union were: Benjamin D., deceased at
sixteen years ; Mary M., Mrs. John Forry, of
Philadelphia ; John C. ; Jacob, who died in in-
fancy; Sarah Ann, deceased; Daniel W., of
Freysville; Amos L., deceased at the age of
twenty-nine; and Theodore H., who operates
a carpet establishment in York. The father
of the family passed away at his home in 1890
and his wife died ten years later.

John C. Gehly was born on a farm adjoin-
ing his present home, Oct. 16, 1839, He was
sent to the common schools at first, and wa.s



taught by Daniel G. Kaufman and by Rev.
Benjamin Hengst, of York. Later he entered
the Millersville Normal, then directed by Prof.
James Wickersham, and was graduated at the
age of twenty. One of his fellow students
was an ex-Senator, Harvey Haiiies. ]\Ir.
Gehly began teaching while still a normal stu-
dent, and was only eighteen years of age when
he took charge of his first school in Hellam
township. He taught the Hellam school for
two terms, and then one each at Windsor and
Levergoods, in Hellam township, and in his
home district. Meantime, his vacations from
the time he was ten years old, had been spent
abovit his father's woolen mill and he had also
helped on the farm during haying and harvest-
ing seasons. In the mill he gained- experience,
later of much value to him. At that time the
neighboring farmers all raised sheep, brought
the rolls of wool to the mill where they were
carded and woven into yarn, and then the yarn
was made into dress goods by the farmers'
wives.

At the age of twenty-one Mr. Gehly re-
moved to Clark county, Ohio, and worked on
a farm and in a flour mill from the spring of
1862 until the fall of 1864, during which
period he married. Returning home, he went
into his father's woolen factor}' at a, time when
the business was greatly enlarging, and has
been connected with it ever since. After his
father's death he took entire charge of the
mills and farm for his mother, and since she
too died, in 1900, they have been his own prop-
erty and have absorbed his entire attention.
At the time of his mother's death he was serv-
ing as deputy revenue collector, a position he
held one year and three months. Mr. Gehly
has always been an active Republican, and cast
his first vote for Abraham Lincoln. He filled
the office of school director for one term, but
has had little time for public service. Reared
in the ilennonite Church, he is not a memjjer
of any denomination.

Mr. Gehly's first wife to whom he was unit-
ed Nov. 24, 1863, was Mary C. Brewer, born
and reared in Clark county, Oliio, daughter of
Peter J, and Kesiah (]Mowdy) Brewer. Her
father was born in Clear Spring, Washington
county, Md., in 1818, and in 1840, with his
wife, who was a native of the same place, he
started by wagon for Ohio, and there all their
children were born. He was the son of Jacob
Brewer, who married a ^Miss Herr and prob-



534



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY', PENNSY^LVANIA



ably migrated original!}' from Lancaster
county. Mrs. Mary (Brewer) Gehly died at
the homestead in 1896, and is buried in the
family graveyard on the farm. She was the
mother of the following children : Mary M.,
Mrs. Morris T. Olewiler, of Red Lion ; Nora
B., unmarried; D. Brewer, secretary of the
Cambria Iron Co. at their offices in Phila-
delphia ; John L., proprietor of the Palace
Horseshoeing Shop, of Fairmount aventie,
Philadelphia; Elmer E., a carpenter in that
city. On Aug. 28, 1S98, Mr. Gehly again
married, his second wife being Mrs. Savilla
Staufifer, widow of David F. Stauffer; her
maiden name was Wanbaugh. By her former
husband she was the mother of sixteen
children, of whom nine are living, as follows :
William F., of Lower Windsor township;
Anna, who married Leander Kissinger, of East
Y^ork; John, of York county; Martha, Cora
and Elizabeth, all unmarried ; Nettie, who
married William Ellicker, of Dillsburg, Pa. ;
Charles E., of Venango county; and Silas, at
home.

CHARLES KOFILER is recognized as a
representative business man of the county, with
whose history the family has been prominently
identified since the latter half of the eighteenth
century, when its pioneer members located in
the wilds of that section and identified them-
selves with the development and upbuilding of
what is now one of the most attractive and
favored divisions of the old Keystone State.
Mr. Kohler stands at the head of the firm of
Charles Kohler & Co., manufacturers of cigar
boxes, Dallastown, and is one of those alert,
progressive and public-spirited citizen's who
have made the borough one of the important
commercial, industrial and civic centers of his
native county, while his course has been such
as to firmly retain the confidence and good will
of all who know him, or have had dealings with
his concern.

The Kohler family has been influential in
York county for more than a century, and the
name has ever stood for integrity of character
and for marked business acumen and loyal citi-
zenship. George and Catherine Kohler, grand-
parents of Charles, were born and reared in
York township and there passed their entire
lives, the former having been a farmer by vo-
cation. Jacob and Mary (Seachrist) Kohler,
parents of Charles, likewise passed their entire



lives in Y'ork township, the father a farmer
and miller and one of the influential citizens
of the township. He died at the age of sixty-
six years, and his wife passed away in May,
1 86 1, aged fifty-three years. Both were de-
voted members of the Lutheran Church, and
the father was a stanch Democrat in his po-
litical proclivities. They became the parents
of eight children, of whom our subject was the
youngest, while of the others it is recorded
that Adam died Nov. 27, 1904, a well
known cigar manufacturer of Dallastown;
Jacob is engaged in the same line of enterprise
in Nashville, York county ; John is a prosper-
ous farmer of Chanceford township; Eli and
Georg-e are deceased ; Leah became the wife of
Henry Neff, and is deceased, as is also Cas-
sandra, who was the wife of Henry Myers.

Charles Kohler was born on the home place,
one and one-half miles south of the present
borough of Dallastown, York township, Sept.
3, 1846, and there he was reared to maturity,
having duly availed himself of the educational
advantages afforded by the common schools
of the locality, which he attended until he was
eighteen years of age, when he secured a cler-
ical position in the general store of Geesey
& Barshinger, of Dallastown. an incumbency
he retained for two years, and later for two
)'ears was with Barshinger & Kohler at Felton.
In 1873 he located at Dallastown and engaged
in the carriage business, establishing an excel-
lent trade in the sale of vehicles and continu-
ing the enterprise until 1880, when he sold
out and engaged in the manufacture of cigar
boxes at that place. He began operations upon
a somewhat modest scale and gradually devel-
oped the splendid business which he today con-
trols, the firm of Charles Kohler & Co. being
kno\\-n to every cigar manufacturer of this sec-
tion as one of the most reliable in its line, so
that the supporting patronage is large and ap-
preciative. The firm has a well equipped plant,
in which about thirty individuals are employed,
while the output capacity is 3,000 boxes per
day. Mr. Kohler takes a deep interest in the
progress and material prosperity of his home
borough and has served as a member of the
Dallastown council, while he has ever stood
ready to lend his aid and influence in support
of enterprises and undertaking's for the general
good. In politics he gives a stanch allegiance
to the Democratic party, and both he and his
wife are memljers of the Lutheran Church,



BIOGRAPHICAL



535



while they enjoy unequi\-ocal popularity in the
soeial circles of the community.

On Aug. i8, 187^, was solemnized the mar-
riage of Mr. Kohler to Miss Emaline Geesey,
who was born and reared in York township,
being a daughter of Jonathan and Sarah
(Flinchl^augh ) Geesey. Mrs. Kohler is one of
seven children, and it may be stated that her
brother Adam F. is a resident of the city of
York; Jonathan and Pius reside in Dallas-
_ town ; John F. died in 1902 ; Mary is the widow
of Henry Barshinger and resides in York ; and
Sarah is the wife of David Peters, of York.
Mr. and Mrs. Kohler have one child, Phineas
Latimer, who was born Feb. 20, 1879, and who
is now associated with his father's business,
being one of the popular young men of the
borough.

\VILLIA?iI T. BAHN is a representative
farmer of York township, where he has a well-
improved place which bears the unmistakable
evidences of thrift and prosperity, and being-
a scion of stanch old pioneer stock in York
county, is also specially worthy of considera-
tion in this historical compilation. Mr. Bahn
was born on a farm in York township, York
county, on June 17, 1850, early became inured
to the invigorating work of the home farm and
duly availed himself of the advantages offered
in the common schools of his native township.
When about sixteen years of age he began what
was essentially an apprenticeship at the car-
penter's trade, in due time becoming a skill-
ful artisan. In the meanwdiile he was able to
further satisfy his ambitions in the matter of
securing more extended educational discipline
by becoming a student in the York County
Academy, where he remained for a short term.
Here he made himself specially eligible for
pedagogic honors, putting his scholastic at-
tainments to practical test by successfully teach-
ing for nineteen terms in North Codorus,
Springfield and York townships. In 1890 he
purchased what was known as the Gladfelter
property, comprising eighty-eight acres of fine
land in York and Springfield townships, and
there he was successfully engaged in agricul-
tural pursuits for the ensuing eleven years,
when he disposed of that tract and purchased
his present fine farm, known as the old Kohler
homestead,. This comprises 151 acres, the lo-
cation in York township being most eligible
and attracti\'e and the soil of exceptional fer-



tility. The residence on the place, constructed
of wood and stone, has been greatly improved
since he came into possession of the property.
In its original form it was built in 1833 ^^Y
Adam and Eva Leicht, who then owned the
place. ^Iv. Bahn has brought distinctive en-
ergy and discrimination to bear in conducting
the various departments of his farming in-
dustry, and has found the great basic art ot ag-
riculture well worthy of the attention which
he has bestowed upon it, since through the
goodly benefices thereof he has gained inde-
pendence and prosperity of no equivocal order.
He is a loyal and enterprising citizen, taking
an intelligent interest in the afifairs of the clay
and especially in local matters of a public na-
ture ; he has never abated his strong hold on
the confidence and esteem of the people of his
native county, being there considered an ex-
emplar of honor and usefulness in all the rela-
tions of life. In politics he accords allegiance
to the Democratic party, and has been called
upon to serve in various positions of public
trust, including those of township assessor and
clerk, and inspector and judge of elections.
Both he and his wife are valued and active
members of the Lutheran Church.

On Nov. 25, 1875, ^'^'^^ solemnized the
marriage of Mr. Bahn to Miss Sarah Ellen
Ness, who was born in Springfield township,
York county, on the i6th of April, 1851, she
being a daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth
(Cox) Ness. Mr. and Mrs. Bahn have five
children : Joseph E., who is associated with the
Dallastown creamery ; Ada V., the wife of
Charles ScheafTer, who resides on the Fahs
farm, in York township : Mary Ellen, the wife
of Latimer Innerst, who resides on the Glad-
felter farm in York county owned by William
T. Bahn, and Sue Elizabeth and Mabel Grace,
who remain at the parental home. The family
are prominent in the social life of the com-
munity, while their attractive residence is a
center of unreserved hospitality.

CHARLES R. KRUG, general manager
of the Hanover Bending- Company, Hanover,
ranks as one of that borough's leading and in-
fluential business men. Mr. Krug is a native
of Adams county, born near the York county
line Sept. 22, 1865, son of Rufus and Ellen
( Glass ) Krug', and grandson of George Krug,
who was born in Adams comity, near Han-
over.



536



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Rufus Krug, the father, was a native of
Adams count}-, born about the year 1830. For
many years he was engaged in the milhng bus-
iness and later as a wholesale dealer in tobacco.
In connection with those business engagements
he also operated his farm of 65 acres. In poli-
tics Rufus Krug was an old-line Whig and
later a Republican. He died in 1901. His
wife was a native of Maryland and was born
in Carroll count)^ near the Pennsylvania line,
in 1825. She is still living and makes her
home with her daughter, Mrs. David Trone.
Charles R. Krug was one of eight children, five
of whom lived to mature years, namely :
George S., cashier of the People's Bank, Han-
over; John E., a farmer of Adams county;
]\Iilton G., unmarried ; Charles R., and Cath-
erine, who married David Trone and resides
in \Varren county, Pennsylvania.

Charles R. Krug was educated in the pub-
lic schools of McSherrystown, which he at-
tended until his sixteenth year. He then learned
cigarmaking with his Ijrother, George S., which
trade he followed about three years, when he
engaged in the lumber business. For a time he
operated a sawmill, manufacturing hard lum-
ber in Adams county. He also owned and
operated a sawmill in ■ Washington county,
Md. In 1900 Mr. Krug bought a manufac-
turing property, forming an association with
Louis Mizell, under the firnr name of the
Hanover Bending Co. They occupy a building
which is especially adapted to the business.
The product of their factory consists of wheel
rims and bows, and from fifteen to twenty
men are employed. The lumber used comes
largely from the States of Maryland, Virginia,
and Kentucky, and the completed product, se-
curely packed, is shipped to various sections of
the Union. Extensive improvements have re-
cently been made at the bending works, and
the entire plant has been remodeled and
equipped with modern machinery, the growing"
trade demanding not only the latest and most
improved machinery but a constantly increasing
force of men.

Mr. Krug was married in his twenty-first
year to Miss Addie M. Masemore, of Hanover,
the daughter of John and Lucy (Shue) Mase-
more. To Mr. and Mrs. Krug have been born
five children, as follows : Lillian A., Mildred
R., Treva, Pauline and Vera. He and his
family are members of St. Matthew's Lutheran
Church, and reside at No. 119 East Middle
street. Mr. Krug is a member of Hanover



Lodge, I. O. O. F., the Brotherhood of the
Union, and the Woodmen of America.

GEORGE C. EMIGH, one of the prosper-
ous business men and enterprising citizens of
York Flaven borough, who is superintendent of
the York Haven Paper Co., was born in 1858,
at Roaring Springs, Blair Co., Pa., son of
Jacob C. Emigh.

Jacob C. Emigh in early life was a school
teacher, but later took up the study of medi-
cine at the Jefferson Medical College in Phila-
delphia, from which he was duly graduated.
He followed his profession at Roaring Springs
until his death, which occurred in 1891. Jacob
C. Emigh was twice married, both of his wives
now being deceased. The children born to Mr.
Emigh and his first wife were : Lloyd, de-
ceased ; George C. ; E. E. Emigh, who was su-
perintendent of the York Haven Paper Mills
for eight years, and now resides in A\^est Vir-
ginia ; Ariminta ; and Katie, deceased. By his
second wife Jacob C. Emigh had these chil-
dren : Edwin, employed at the York Haven
Paper Mills ; Myrtle ; and three others who
are deceased.

George C. Emigh spent his early life at
Roaring Springs, Blair county, attending the
public schools until he was thirteen years of
age, when he began to learn the paper-making
business, in which line he has since been very
successful. In 1877 Mr. Emigh married Han-
nah Mosel, daughter of William and Angeline
(Ott) Mosel, and went to Lock Haven, where
he was employed for four years. Mr. Emigh
then spent some time in New York and Penn-
sylvania in paper making, engaging with the
York Haven Paper Co., in 189-I., as machine
foreman. He then went to the Codorus Mills,
where he was employed as superintendent of
the mills, remaining there three years. In 1901
he was induced to return to the York Haven
Paper Co., where he has since held the posi-
tion of superintendent. The mills are among
the largest in the State.

The children born to 'Sh. and ilrs. Emigh
were: Oliver R., who is also a superintendent
at the York Felt and Paper Co.'s Mills; and
Fannie D., who married \\'illiam J. Reichley,
and resides in York. Mr. Emigh is a Demo-
crat, but is not actively interested in politics.
The family are devout members of St. Paul's
Lutheran Church of York. Mr. Emigh is
much esteemed in the community, and enjoys
the confidence of his employers.





'm .^, (r2<^^^^^^



BIOGRAPHICAL



537



ADAM ROLLER FREY, who for years
Avas engaged in business at Collinsville, was
born Dec. 21, 1837, on the home farm in
Shrewsbury township, son of Henry and Sarah
(Roller) Frey.

Henry Frey was also a native of Shrews-
bury township, York county, where he
was engaged as a cooper for some years,
and then turned his attention to agri-
cultural pursuits, in which he became
well known and prosperous. He died
^lay 21, 1858. In politics he was a stanch
Democrat. His religious views were in ac-
cordance with the teachings of the Reformed
Church, in which he held office. He married
Sarah Roller, born in Shrewsbury township,
daughter of John Roller, a farmer there. She
died on the family homestead, April 19, 1840.
The children of this union were : Celinda, Mrs.
Henry Seitz, of Glen Rock; and Adam R.
The grandfather of Adam R. Frey was a
cooper by trade and he also died in Shrews-
bury township. The family itself is an old
and honored one in York county.

Adam R. Frey was educated first in the
township schools, then at an academy and still
later at a special normal school at York, com-
pleting his course in 1858, at the age of twenty-
one years. His first teacher was Martin Heth-
cote, and his last, Augustus Gring, who was
then a theological student. Mr. Frey began
to teach school at the age of twenty-two, being
thus employed in the home school for three
years and lor a like period in the Hickory
Grove school of Hopewell township. In 1862
he embarked in the mercantile business in
Hopewell township, which he continued until
1865, and then sold it and moved to Shrews-
bury township, where he taught school during
the following winter and prior to his location
at New Oxford, Adams county. There Mr.
Frey was in business in partnership with H.
R. Schnell for two years, removing then to
Brogueville, Chanceford township. At that
point Mr. Frey pursued his mercantile career
for five years and then sold to James W. Ril-
gore and moved to Baltimore. There he was
engaged in' a produce commission business for
one year, but in 1876 removed to Collinsville,
where he was a merchant for a period of thir-
teen years. In 1889 he sold his business to
Jacob Clayman, after which, until 1894, Mr.
Frey retired, but in that year resumed business
at the old stand in Collins^•ille. There he con-



tinued until 1 901, when he disposed of his
stock to Gemmill & Andrews, and has since
been retired from active eflfort. In addition
to his mercantile interests, Mr. Frey has car-
ried on agricultural pursuits, owning three
farms in Chanceford township — one of 150
acres, one of 100 acres and the third of seventy
acres — and another good farm of 125 acres
situated in Lower Chanceford township. All
are valuable properties.

Mr. Frey has been identified with the
leading business interests of this section of
the county. He is a director in the First Na-
tional Bank of Red Lion, and in the Southern
Mutual Fire Insurance Company, and has
served on many township boards. He is a
strong Democrat and cast his first Presidential
vote for John C. Breckenridge. He was reared
in the Reformed Church, but later united with
the New Harmony Presbyterian Church at
Brogueville, soon after locating in Chanceford
township, and he has been an elder in the lat-
ter for over fifteen 3'ears. His name represents
in this section of York county, not only a man
of large means, but one honored for upright-
ness of character and who has gained a high
measure of public esteem.

Mr. Frey was married March 11, 1861, in
Hopewell township, to Elizabeth Winemiller,
daughter of Joseph and Mary Magdalena
( Souder) Winemiller, of Hopewell township.
They have no children.

JOHN WISE, a farmer living on the bor-
ough limits of Red Lion, was- born in Chance-
ford township on a farm near Brogueville,
Nov. 6, 1840, son of John and Elizabeth
(Warner) Wise.

Henry Wise, grandfather of John, came
to- York county from Adams county and made
his home near AirY-ille, Lower Chanceford
township, where he was both farmer and black-
smith. He married a Miss Ellis, and both lived
and died on their home farm.

John Wise, son of Henry and father of our
subject, was born on his father's farm, and,
as he reached manhood, followed the trade of a
blacksmith. Later he moved to Chanceford
to^vnship, commenced farming near Brogue-
ville, and in his declining" ^'cars lived in retire-
ment in Winterstown, spending his last days
at the home of his son John at Red Lion. He
was eighty-one years old wdien he died. His
first wife died in 1844, leaving the following



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



children : Christley, who Hves near Freys-
A'ille; Henry, residing on the farm in Chance-
ford; Mary, Mrs. Adam Kaviffman, who died
near Dallastown; Sarah, Mrs. Andrew J. War-
ner, a widow, living in Chanceford township,
and John. Two other children lived only a
short time. Mr. Wise's second marriage was
to a Miss Dipple, of Dallastown, who died there
also. By her he had one son, Albert, now liv-
ing in that town.

John Wise, our subject, attended school
until he was nineteen, first near Collinsville,
then near Brogueville, and then at Thomp-
son's, all township schools ; his first teacher
was Jane Campbell, while the last one bore the



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 102 of 201)