George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 103 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 103 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

same family name. His first twenty-two years
were spent at home where he helped his father
on the farm, but at that ag-e he married and
started in life for himself. He bouglit 105
acres of land from his father, but at the end
of a year sold the place to Jacob Shenberger,
and bought instead a part of his present farm.
Beginning there with sixty-five acres, Mr.
Wise added to it until he owned 120 acres;
twenty-five acres of this lay within the tr-
ough limits of Red Lion, and later he divided
it into town lots and sold them. Mr. Wise has
been very successful in his enterprises, possess-
ing both good judgment and industry, and his
present position is due entirely to his own

In 1862 Mr. Wise married Catherine A.
Blouse, daughter of Jacob Blouse, a farmer
near Brogueville, now deceased. Her mother
was Mrs. Lizzie (Mitzel) Craley, the widow
of ]\Iartin Craley. Mrs. Wise, after nearly
forty years of married life, passed away in
February, 1901, and was buried in the ceme-
tery of the Lutheran church at Freysville, as
she was a member of that congregation. She
was the mother of seven children, viz. : John
A., at home; Sarah E., Mrs. John Gebhard;
Annie Amelia, Mrs. John Taylor; Edward
Franklin ; Ida Catherine, Mrs. Noah Stabley —
all of Red Lion; Minnie May, at home, and
William. The family is one well known in the
township, where Mr. Wise is held in high re-
gard for his many substantial and estimable

PETER H. MENGES (deceased). Among
the old and venerable residents of Heidelberg
township, York county, who in past years bore
an important part in the de\'elopment of that

section of the State, was Peter H. Alenges, who
was born in North Codorus to.wnship, York
county, Nov. 27, 1835, son of Peter and Nancy
(Hershey) Menges, of German and Swiss de-
scent, respectively. His great-grandfather
came from German}^ when c]uite young, and
settled about five miles west of York, some time
before .the Revolutionary war. His burial place
is at Wolf's church, in W'est ]Manchester town-

John Menges, the grandfather, was a
farmer, who settled in that part of the home
section now owned by Henry Menges, in Jack-
son township. His family consisted of thir-
teen children, and he died at the .age of sixty-
nine years, deeply esteemed by a wide circle
of friends who recognized his sterling traits
of character.

Peter Menges, father of Peter H. and the
fifth child in the family, was born July i. 1802,
spending his early life on the farm and later
learning the trade of a miller, being thus em-
ployed in Cumberland county. Pa. After his
marriag-e, he moved to the farm of his father-
in-law, in North Codorus township, operating
it for eleven j-ears and then coming to Heidel-
berg township, where he purchased a farm and
the property known as the Menges mill. There
he passed the remainder of his life; his death
occurred Oct. 10, 1883, and he was buried at
Lisch3''s church, of which he was elder for
twenty years. During that period he devoted
much time to church work, and was very de-
vout, accomplishing much good: Throug'nout
the entire community he was known as "Old
Father Menges" and was generally beloved.
Two children were born to his marriage, Peter
H. and John. The latter, born in 1824, was
a minister of the Evangelical Lutheran Church.
He was educated at Mt. Joy, Lancaster county,
and was received into the ministry by the "Old
Pennsylvania Synod" in 1851, having filled
after that time various charges in Lancaster
and York counties. In 1880 he became pastor
of Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church at West
Philadelphia. With a few members, he built
a mission church, and from that small begin-
ning had developed his charge, until he had a
large membership and a flourishing Sunday-
school. Flis work was very successful, and he
was a devout, good man, greatly beloved by
his people.

Peter H. Menges worked upon the farm and
in the mill, and at the same time attended the



subscription and public schools of Columbia
and Mt. Joy. After completing his education,
lor eleven years he was a teamster, haviling
lumber and general merchandise between Lit-
tlestown and the Susquehanna river. After his
marriage in iS6o, he removed to the home-
stead farm (first renting it) and there re-
mained ten years. He then embarked in the
business of milling and the handling of pro-
duce, and, after the construction of the H. &
Y. railroad, purchased and built the property
known as the Menges mills, store and ware-
house, creating- thereby an excellent market for
produce, and dealing largely in it. Mr. Menges
was largely instrumental in securing the rail-
road through that section, and was actively en-
gaged in its construction. In 1863 and 1864
he held the office of internal revenue collector
of the Fifteenth division of Pennsylvania, and
had also been upon the school board.

On Jan. 24, i860, Mr. Menges was united
in marriage to Kate Hinkle, daughter of Isaac
and Elizabeth Hinkle, of Lancaster county.
Pa., of Irish and German descent. Seven chil-
dren have been born of this marriage — three
sons and four daughters : John ; Alvin ; Willie ;
Annie, Mary and Pacie, deceased ; and Minnie.
He was a prominent member of the Lutheran
Church at Lischy's and later of Spring Grove
Church, in which he was deacon eight years
and Sunday-school superintendent for nearly
twenty. In fact, he became so prominent that
in 1875 he was selected as a delegate to the
Sunday-school convention at Philadelphia. He
died Oct. 27, 1904.

John Menges, the eldest child of Peter
H., was born Feb. 28, 1864. Educated in
the common schools of Heidelberg township
and at Baugher's Academy, Hanover, Pa., he
worked around the mill and farm owned by his
father for two years. In 1886 he established
his present, store at Menges ]Mills, where he in-
stalled a complete line of general merchandise
and has successfully conducted it ever since.
In 1888 he married iNIaggie Faust, daughter of
^^'illiam Faust, of Springfield township, York-
county, and the children born to them are :
In 1888 he married Maggie Faust, daughter of
Henrietta; Catherine and Alargaret, both de-
ceased, and Elizabeth, a bright little girl of five
years. In politics he is a Republican ; was
census enumerator in 1890, and has held the of-
fice of postmaster at Menges Mills since !May,
1900. He is a member of the Lutheran Church
at Spring Gro\-e, Pennsylvania.

DAVID A. FREY (deceased), for many
years the editor and proprietor of the York
(Pa.) Weekly, was born in that cit)- in 1826,
son of Jacob and Catherine Frey.

Jacob Frey was a tailor by trade and had
his place of business for a number of 3'ears at
the corner of Market and Duke streets, York,
where he enjoyed a good patronage. He lived
to the age of seventy years, and was buried in
the Prospect Hill cemetery, where his wife was
also interred. Their children were as follows :
John, a hatter by trade; David A.; Benjamin;
Alexander, also a hatter ; and Sarah, who mar-
ried John Hunter and died in 1854, seven years
before her husband's demise.

David A. Frey was educated in the York
County Academy, and for several years after
finishing his own studies taught in Hellam
and Dover townships. On relinquishing the
profession of a teacher Mr. Frey entered upon
the field of journalism, and in 1851 estab-
lished the York. (Pa.) JVeekly, with his of-
fice at the corner of Market and Duke streets.
This was his vocation during the whole of his
active life, but for his last ten years he lived
retired. His death occurred July 11, 1900,
and he was survived by his widow, ]Mrs.
Mary Jonston (King) Frey. Mrs. Frey was
a daughter of Henry and Leah King, and she
died July 16, 1905. She was buried beside
her husband in Prospect Hill cemetery.

Six children were born to David A. and
Mary Frey. David E., the eldest, a dealer in
hides in York, married Miss Fannie J. Fisher.
Mary Grace became the wife of Samuel H.
Bechtel, who is in the implement business in
Hanover. Victor K. rtiarried Miss Flora
Baker, formerly of L^niontown, Md., and he
is in the publishing business at his father's
old stand on South George street. Edgar A.,
who married Miss Ella Thomas, is one of
the firm of Frey & Thomas, wholesale dealers
in grain and hardware, located on North
George street, York. Horace King died when
thirty-five years of age. Ralph \\'. is the

P. H.. HERSHEY, chief burgess of the
borough of Spring Grove, and one of the lead-
ing business men of that community, was born
in York county, in the vicinity of Spring
Grove. Oct. 31, 1865, a son of Andrew !M. and
Magdaline (Hoke) Hershey. Andrew !M.
Hershey was born in the same township and
county as his son, in .April, 18 17, and died in



]\Iarch. 1904. He was one of the prosperous
farmers of his neighborhood, having owned
fine farms of 87, 117 and 125 acres respective-
ly, which he had brought to an exceUent state
of cuhi\ation. All of the improvements upon
them consisting of a comfortable dwelling,
bank barn, and necessary sheds, etc. were built
by him, and he was throughout life, a hard
working, thrifty man. ' In politics, he was a
Democrat, and was honored by election to sev-
eral township offices. In religious faith, he
was a member of the old Mennonite Church,
while his wife was a member of the Reformed
Church. Mrs. Hershey was a daughter of
Solomon Hoke, and she was born in York
county, near Spring Grove, in 1821, dying
in 1 886. In disposition, she was a sweet.
Christian woman, aird held the warm affection
of all who knew her.

P. H. Hershey passed his youth upon his
father's farm, and attended the district school.
Later, he had the advantage of a course at a
select school and a training at the Millersville
State Normal school; the latter consisted of
a three-years' course, after which he began
.teaching. His first school was in the country,
but so efficient did he prove, that he was
selected to teach in the Spring Grove Grammar
school. Thei-e he continued for ten years, giv-
ing uni\-ersal satisfaction and endearing him-
self to pupils and patrons alike. About this
time, he decided to engage in farming, and
turned his attention to that pursuit and the
breeding of fine stock. For years he bred
some of the finest short-horned cattle and
Poland China and Berkshire hogs in the coun-
ty, and also has taken a great interest in select
horses, breeding from thoroughbred mares.
Mr. Hershey owns a fine farm, near Spring
Grove, which is well stocked and conducted
under his supervision. In addition to his agri-
cultural interests, Mr. Hershey is a stockholder
of the People's National Bank of Spring
Grove, of which he was one of the organizers.
It was through Mr. Hershey's untiring efforts
that the Spring Grove Canning factory was
established in 1905, the new enterprise meet-
ing with much opposition ; notwithstanding
which, he carried it to a successful conclu-
sion — which was but characteristic of Mr. Her-
shey. Lie is also one of the organizers of the
Spring Grove Box factory, which was char-
tered in njo^, and of which he has been chosen
president. Lie has represented several of the

leading insurance companies of the county for
the past twelve years, among which is the
Farmer's Mutual Fire Insurance Co. of Para-
dise, York county. Pa., for which he has done
a large amount of business.

On Jan. 29, 1888, Mr. Hershey married
Miss Lucy Hoffman, of Spring Grove, and
they have one son, Chauncey A. In politics,
Mr. Hershey is a Democrat, and takes a lively
interest in local, county and State politics. For
three years, he was a member of the school
board, and owing to his long experience as an
instructor, rendered very efficient service. In
1897, he was elected chief burgess of the bor-
ough of Spring Grove, and held the office con-
tinuously , with the exception of three years,
until March i, 1906, and he is justly regarded
as an official who has the best interests of the
borough at heart. In 1904 he was his party's
choice for the State legislature, but was de-
feated through the Republican landslide which
occurred in that year. For the past eighteen
years, Mr. Hershey has been a member of the
Spring Grove Musical Association. Mr. and
Mrs. Hershey are consistent members of the
Lutheran Church, of which Mr. Hershey was
choirmaster, and for fifteen years past has been
principal cornet player. They are prominent
in church and social circles, are hospitable peo-
ple, and highly esteemed by all who have the
honor of their accjuaintance.

DANIEL D. EHRHART, senior member
of the Ehrhart, Conrad Company, of Han-
over, York county, was born in Shrewsbury
township, York county, Feb. 13, 1849, the son
of Henry and Julia (Diehl) Ehrhart. The
Ehrharts, as the name (presumably "hearts
of honor,") indicates, are of German origin.

William Ehrhart, the paternal grandfather
of Daniel D. Ehrhart, was born near the town
of York, York township, and farmed during
his entire life. In politics he was a Democrat,
and in religion a member of the Lutheran
Church, the nearest congregation of which was
in the town of York, and it was to that place
that William Ehrhart went, summer and win-
ter, to attend worship. Soon after attaining
his majority he married, taking as his wife
Nellie Runk, a daughter of John Runk. By
her he had six children : Emanuel, Henry,
Marie, William, Louisa and Eliza.

ITenry Ehrhart, the father of Daniel D.,
was born during the residence of the family



in Slire\vsl)ur_\- township, and was reared u])nn
liis father's farm. After attending the rural
schools and securing an education, which in
those days rec|uired the perfecting influence
of experience to render it useful, except in the
most ortlinarjr callings, he learned the trade
of a carpenter, and, in connection with farm-
ing, engaged in that occupation throughout
life. Although the Ehrharts were bred Demo-
crats, Henry Ehrhart became a member of the
Republican party, and the fact that he held
local offices is evidence of his activity in
political affairs. He grew up a member of the
Lutheran Church and took an active part in
its affairs, for many years holding the various
church offices in the congregation of which he
was a member. In 1848 he married Julia, a
daughter of Adam and Catherine Diehl, who
became the mother of Daniel D.- and five other
children: Charles; Samuel; Louise, wife of
H. A. Young; Elsie, wife of W. D. Bortner,
and Williann, wife of John Bomm. Mr.
Ehrhart died in 1877; his wife still survives,
aged eighty-one.

Daniel D. Ehrhart spent his earlier years
on his father's farm in Shrewsbury township,
and secured his education in the public schools
and at the Shrewsbury Academy. He left
school at an early age and worked for a few
years on a farm. At the age of nineteen he
entered upon his profession of teaching and
for six 3'ears was connected with the schools
of York county. He then located at Hanover
as a retail grocer, his trade, in 1883, being en-
larged into a wholesale business, now con-
ducted by the firm of Ehrhart, Conrad Com-
pany. Since his location in Hanover Mr. Ehr-
hart has risen to prominence in that town,
partl}^ through his business relations and partly
through his activity in politics and public af-
fairs. He is a Republican and votes at every
election. For eight years he was a member
of the school board of Hanover. At present
he is an active member and a trustee of St.
Matthew's Church, and a teacher in its Sunday-
school. He is a member of the Home Build-
ing & Loan Association, now holding the re-
sponsible position of treasurer of that organi-
zation, whose success is greatly due to his ef-
forts. Mr. Ehrhart is connected with four of
the secret societies of Hanover, being a mem-
ber of the Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks ; of McAllister Council, No. gSo, Roj'al
Arcanum ; of Washington Camp, Patriotic

Sons of America, and of Alinnewauki Tribe,
No. 250, Improved Order of Red Men. ;\Ir.
Ehrhart is one of the most popular men of
Hanover and has attained the esteem of his
fellow townsmen not only through his busi-
ness, fraternal, religious and civic associations,
but through that display of enterprise and
energy which has done so much to encourage
the growth of the town and foster the splendid
civic spirit for wdiich Hanover people are
noted. Once the able and experienced teacher,
he is now the superior and trained man of busi-
ness. In his personality he is agreeable, his
integrity is conceded and his reputation and
character are alike of a high order.

On Feb. 11, 1872, Mr. Ehrhart married
Martha, a daughter of Samuel A. and Delia
Frey, of York, by whom he had four chil-
dren : Harry Samuel, and Rol:tert Leroy. liv-
ing; and Alma B. and Donald Frey, deceased.
Mrs. Ehrhart died June 4, 1898, and for his
second wife he married, Nov. 25, 1899, Jose-
phine Wolf, daughter of Prof. John AI. \\'olf,
a prominent teacher at Flanover.

GEORGE W. BAHN, M. D., physician
and surgeon of Spring Grove, and one of the
leading men of that locality, was born in Co-
dorus township, York county, Oct. 21, 1S56,
a son of Samuel L. and Susan (Tyson) Bahn.
The Bahn family originated in Weimar, Ger-
many, the American founder emigrating to this
country at an early date, although his place of
settlement is not known. The first member of
the family of whom there is any definite record,
is the grandfather of Dr. Bahn, Adam, who
was a native of York county.

Samuel L. Bahn, father of George W.,
was born in Spring Garden township, York
county, in 181 7, and died in 1900. He was a
farmer, and devoted the best years of his life
to tilling the soil. As a citizen he was well
known as a man of progressive ideas, and he
left his mark upon his community, residing
upon his farm in Manchester township, until
his death. His wife, Susan, daughter of Daniel
Tyson, an old resident of York county, was
born in 1822, and is still living, in possession
of all faculties, although now eighty-two years
of ag-e. She became the mother of ten children :
Susan and Amanda, deceased ; Mary A. ; Dan-
iel F. ; John A. ; Samuel F. ; Franklin, de-
ceased; George W. ; William M., deceased, and
Elmer E.


Dr. George W. Bahn received the rudi-
ments of his education in the district school of
his township, and then attended the Emigs-
ville Academy, a private school, and the York
County Academy at York, Pa., later teaching
school for two winters. Dr. Bahn then read
medicine with Dr. J. H. Kain, of Manchester,
Pa., and when fully prepared entered the med-
ical department of the Maryland University
at Baltimore, from which he graduated on
■March 3, 1881. After graduation, he located
at Spring Grove, where he has since practiced
and is in the enjoyment of an excellent busi-
ness. Dr. Bahn is a member of York County
Medical Society, the State Medical Society and
the American Medical Association, as well as
of the International Association. Fraternally
he is a member of Mt. Zion Lodge, No. 997,
I. O. O. F., of" Spring Grove. He takes a deep
interest in educational matters, and for a num-
ber of years was a member of the school board,
serving as its secretary. He was one of the
organizers of the First National Bank of
Spring Grove, and is a man* of substance, as
well as one of the best physicians in York
•county, his services being widely sought.

In 1880, Dr. Bahn married Alice E. Sitler,
of East Prospect, York Co., Pa., a daughter
of Jacob and Mary (Burg) Sitler. After his
marriage, he took up his residence in Spring
Grove. Dr. and Mrs. Bahn are consistent mem-
bers of Spring Grove St. Paul's Lutheran
Church, and take an active part in its g^ood

EMANUEL EURICH, a prominent and
highly respected citizen of York, who was for
some years engaged in business in that city, is
now living retired from active life. • Mr.
Eurich was born Sept. 14, 1844, near Berlin,
in Adams county, son of Emanuel, Sr., and
Catherine (Hoffman) Eurich.

John Eurich, grandfather of our subject,
was a farmer of Washington township, along
the Conewago Creek, and was the father of
these children : Sallie, Polly, John, Uriah,
David and Emanuel, Sr.

Emanuel Eurich. Sr., was born at Ross-
town, York county, and was a lifelong farmer,
following agricultural pursuits in both York
and Adams counties. He died in the latter
county at the age of fifty-one years, being
buried at Berlin. His widow, who was Cath-
erine Hoffman, died at the age of seventy-two

years, and is buried at Strayers Church, Dover
township. This couple were the parents of
these children : Louisa, widow of George Har-
bold. is living in York; Leah, widow of Levi
Gross, resides at Dillsburg; Aaron, a farmer
of Franklin township, married a Miss Smith;
Emanuel ; Catherine married Alfred Arnold,
and they are both deceased ; Matilda married
Rev. Reuben Rawhauser, a Reformed clergy-
man, and they are both deceased ; Cecelia mar-
ried William Weigle, and lives in Dover town-
ship; and Mary Ann, Samuel and Matilda
died young.

Emanuel Eurich attended the common
school until he was twelve years of age, when
he was put out among the neighboring farmers
to make his own way in the world. In 1869
he married Anna Maria Brooks, daughter of
Eli L. and Rebecca (Hengst) Brooks, of West
Manchester township, both now deceased.
After marriage Mr. and Mrs. Eurich located
on Jacob Louck's farm in Manchester town-
ship, where they remained one year. They
then remo\'ed to ^^'est Manchester township
for two years, and then came to York city,
where Mr. Eurich was employed with S. M.
Smith in the machine business. He also spent
one year in that line at Leesport, Pa., after
which he returned to York, being first em-
ployed by John F. King, and later for eleven
years by H. S. Myers. Subsequently he
formed a partnership in the implement busi-
ness with E. S. Brooks, the firm being known
as Eurich & Brooks. This association con-
tinued for eleven years, Mr. Eurich's business
travels embracing York, Adams, Lancaster,
Cumberland and all adjoining counties. He
was then in business one year for himself,
but in 1902 retired from active life. He is
the owner of a great deal of property in York,
and built his present fine home in 1897, being
also proprietor of a farm of forty acres in
Conewago township.

Mr. Eurich is a Democrat, and is a mem-
ber of Christ Lutheran Church of York. He is
a self-made man, and a widely known and
highly respected citizen. One child was born
to Mr. and Mrs. Eurich, Oliver B., who died
at the age of eighteen years. .

SAMUEL BURG is now living practically
retired, in Lower Windsor township, where
for the past score of years he has been an in-
cumbent of the ofifice of justice of the peace.



He has passed his entire life in York county
and has been closely identified with its civic
and material progress.

George Christian Burg (or Burgholthouse,
as the name was originally spelled) was born
in Osnabruck, kingdom oi Hanover, Germany,
Dec. 27, 1757. Coming to America the family
li\ed for a time in New York city, then coming
to York county and numbering" themsel\-es
among the early settlers of Lower Windsor
township. The mansion farm is that now owned
and occupied by Samuel Burg, a representative
of the third generation in York county. George
Christian Burg, who was the grandfather of
the latter, married Anna Maria Elizabeth
Koenig, who was born in the same town of
Osnabruck, Germany, July 17, 1765, and her
grandmother was Anna Sophia Meyers, who
later became the wife of A. D. Horn, in Osna-
bruck. Of the children of George C. and Anna '
M. Burg all but the two youngest (who were
born in York county,) were born before the
parents reached America. They were as fol-
lows : Anna Christina Elizabeth, born July 18,
1786; Johanna Margaretta, born Sept. 27,
1788; Anton Frederick, born Sept. 5, 1791 ;
Anton Daniel, born Sept. 13, 1793; Susanna
Wilhelmina Elizabeth, born July 20, 1796;
Philip William, born April 27, 1798, was
justice of the peace at Longlevel, York county,
for twenty-seven years, 'was a miller by voca-
tion and owned what is now known as the Fry
tnill; Bernhart Henry, father of Samuel, born
March 6, 1801, in Dover, England, his parents
being at the time enroute to America ; jNIagda-
lena Fredericka, born Feb. 18, 1804; Catherine
Elizabeth, born Sept. 24, 1807; and Helena
Margaretta, born Oct. 17, 1809. Further and
detailed data in regard to the family genealogy,

Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 103 of 201)