Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 104 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 104 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and particularly as relates to Bernhart Henry,
father of Samuel, are given in the sketch of
Henry Burg, appearing elsewhere.

Samuel Burg was born in the home which
he now occupies, Sept. 20, 1829, the place be-
ing the old mansion farm or homestead of his
father, and one of the finest to be found in
Lower Windsor township. He was reared
to the sturdy discipline of the farm, and his
early educational training was secured under
the direction of a man named Ringgold, at
Margaretta Furnace, and under Emmanuel
Benson, a well known educator in this section
in the early days. He left school when sixteen
years of age, but had the good judgment to



devote as much time as possible to reading use-
ful books so that he laid an excellent founda-
tion for the knowledge he was to gain in con-
nection with the active duties and responsibil-
ities of life. At the age of fifteen years Mr.
Burg began driving mules on the canal tow-
path, being thus employed one season by his
brother-in-law, Jacob Sitler. At the age of
seventeen he entered upon an apprenticeship
at the carpenter's trade, under the direction of
George Kise, with whom he remained one year,
after which he passed one year in the same line
of work under the instruction of Samuel Fox,
■\\dio owned and lived upon the farm now oc-
cupied by Samuel Boll. Mr. Burg then gave
up the work of his trade, and began farming
the old homestead on shares. He continued to
be thus identified with the cultivation of his
father's farm for a period of eight years, at
the expiration of which he purchased a tract
in Chanceford township, where he resided one
year. In i860 he let- a contract for the build-
ing of two canal boats, at Long Level, one be-
ing christened "Alohah" while the other bore
the title of "Mary Jane & Rachel." After the
completion of his boats he rented his farm and
located at Margaretta Furnace, while he con-
tinued to operate on the canal until after the
close of the Civil war. He sold the "jMary
Jane & Rachel" in 1861, and continued to
operate the other boat until 1866, in which
year he gave it into the charge of others; he
then entered into partnership with Daniel
Leber and engaged in the burning of lime at
Leber's mill, continuing to be thus engaged
for one year, in the meanwhile selling his other
boat. For one year he was engaged in the
butchering business, and in 1868, he returned
to the old homestead farm near East Prospect,
where he continued to follow agricultural pur-
suits until 1873, when he purchased the old
mansion farm of seventy-five acres upon which
he now lives, and which has been the family
home for many years. In 1866 he disposed of
his farm in Chanceford township. The old
homestead, which was secured from the gov-
ernment by his grandfather, is one of the at-
tractive farms of York county, is under a high
state of cultivation, and is improved with ex-
cellent buildings, these including a com-
modious and pleasant residence, the house in
\vhich the present owner was born.

]\Ir. Burg has been stanchly arrayed as a
supporter of the principles of the Republican



544



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



party from the time of its organization to the
present, and he has heen called upon to serve
in various offices of public trust and responsi-
bilit}'. He was assessor of Lower Windsor
township for three years, was judge of elec-
tions one year, and for the past twenty years
has held the office of justice of the peace, in
which he has made a most excellent record.
He is one of the prominent and valued mem-
bers of the United Evangelical Church at East
Prospect, having been for many years a mem-
ber of its board of trustees, as well as class
leader and exhorter, and having taken an
active interest in all departments of the church
work.

On April i, 1852, Mr. Burg was united
in marriage to Rachel Fry, who was born in
Windsor township, York county, Sept. 8,
1828, daughter of John and Julia Ann
(Haines) Fry, and granddaughter of John
Fry, Sr., one of the pioneers of the county.
She was summoned into eternal rest Jan. 16,
1897, having been a true and devoted wife and
helpmate, and a zealous member of the Evan-
gelical Church. Of her eight children the fol-
lowing is a brief record : Sarah A., is the wife
of Aaron Kise, of Harrisburg, Pa. ; Henrietta
is the wife of Henry Dietz, of Red Lion, York
county; Henry W., who married Lydia Gil-
bert, is engaged in the manufacturing of cigars
at East Prospect; Charles S., who married
Lydia Norris, resides in Wrightsville ; Amanda
is the wife of Joseph Strickler, of that village ;
Minnie is the wife of Charles Detwiler, of Red
Lion ; Marcus H., who married Miss Ella
Klein, has charge of Mr. Burg's farm; and
Naomi is the wife of Moses Heindle, of Red
Lion. Mr. Burg has twenty grandchildren.

On Dec. 17, 1901, Mr. Burg contracted a
second marriage, being united to Mrs. Mary
Elizabeth (Kocher) Shultz, widow of Isaac
Shultz and daughter of Christian and Mary
ilagdalena (Auble) Kocher. By her union
with Mr. Shultz she was the mother of three
chilcren — Garfield, Annie and Emma. Mr.
and Mrs. Burg are genial and hospitable, and
their pleasant home is one in which a cordial
welcome is ever assured. Mr. Burg has re-
tired from active labors in connection with
the farm, but still gives much of liis time to
the supervision of his place, while he is also
occasionally called upon to superintend the
erection or repairing of mill dams, having had
much experience in that line. He is one of the
worthy and popular men of his native county.



HENRY BRUNHOUSE, a prosperous
and enterprising hotel-keeper of York county,
who is engaged in that business at Dover bor-
ough, was born in Prussia, Germany, Aug. 14,
1849, son of Charles and Catherine (Myers)
Brunhouse.

Charles Brunhouse, the grandfather of
Henry, was born in Germany, where he was a
farmer and large land OAvner, farming some
300 acres, near Lubbecke, Province of West-
phalia, and there he died. Three sons were born
to him, Frederick, Charles (2) and Henry, all
of whom died in Germany.

Charles Brunhouse (2), son of Charles and
father of Henry, was born in Germany, where
he followed farming and trucking. He mar-
ried Catherine Myers, who was born in that
country. Both died in Germany. The follow-
ing children were born to them : Frederick W.,
of York, who first engaged in burning lime,
and was later in the mercantile business in
York, now being street commissioner there ;
Mary, who married Henry Ivlamma, and died
in Germany at the age of forty-six years ; Eliz-
abeth, residing in Germany ; Henry ; and Hen-
rietta, who married Herman Snyder, and lives
in Germany.

Henry Brunhouse worked for his father
in Germany until eighteen years of age, and
then came to America, landing at New York
June 27, 1867. He remained there thi-ee days,
and then came to York, where he followed
teaming for fifteen years. In 1882 he engaged
in the restaurant and saloon business on South
George street, and in 1897 removed to Dover,
wdiere he bought the hotel known as the "White-
hall Hotel," and there he has since con-
ned.

In 1876 Mr. Brunhouse married Louise
Smith, daughter of Henry and Catherine
Smith, who was born in Germany and came to ■
America at the age of nine years. Children as
follows were born to this union : Charles Hen-
ry, residing at home; Augustus, who died in
York at the age of eight years and is buried
there ; and Henrietta, at home. In politics Mr.
Brunhouse is a Democrat and greatly inter-
ested in the success of his party. He is a
valued member of the German Lutheran
Church of York, of which he is a liberal sup-
porter. Mr. Brunhouse is a representative cit-
izen of Dover borough, one of the solid, sub-
stantial and enterprising men whose good
judgment and public spirit continually contri- j
bute to the advancement of the town. I




^^yCryy^ /^^0''^^y>y/^J^^^<^^y



L/



BIOGRAPHICAL



545



BENJAMIN FRANKLIN FRICK, ex-
city controller of York, was born June 9, 1841,
in the county of that name. His term as city
controller expired in April, 1905, and he left
a record of which any man might well feel
proud.

One of ]\Ir. Frick's ancestors, Henry Frick,
w'ho was an officer in one of the cantons of
Switzerland, was born in 1621. He had three
children: Barbara, born May 8, 1683; Jacob,
Nov. 12, 1684, and John, March 20, 1688.

John Frick, the great-grandfather of Ben-
jamin F"., was a son of Jacob Frick, who mar-
ried Anna \\'itmer, Nov. 19, 1780.

Jacob Frick, son of John, was born Nov.
26, 1782, and Dec. 3. 181 1, married }ilagda-
lena Pifer, who was born Nov. 12, 1793, and
who died Oct. 8, 1822, in York county.

John Pifer Frick, the father of Benjamin
F., was born Dec. 6, 181 2, in Lancaster coun-
ty, removing thence to York county, where he
married Hannah Hershey, daughter of John
Hershey, a farmer of York county. He, in
turn, was descended from Andrew Hershey,
a native of Switzerland, born in 1698, who
came to America in 1719, being followed by
his brothers in 1739. Andrew Hershey died
in Lancaster county. Pa,, Dec. 25, 1754. John
P. Frick died in Y"ork, Dec. 7, 1891, aged
seventy-nine years. He w^as connected with the
Farmers' Insurance Company, of York, and
was a man of sterling integrity. His children
were: William H., deceased; Benjamin F. ;
John J., cashier of the York National Bank;
Abraham, deceased, who was the father of C.
C. Frick; Mary E., widow of Martin Skin-
ner, a banker of York; Daniel Brandt, who
died in childhood, and Joseph Hershey, de-
ceased.

Benjamin Franklin Frick was educated in
the common schools of Y'ork county, and in
the York County Academy. His first busi-
ness was that of machinist, which he followed
for three years. He served for four years and
three months in the Civil war, in Company
A., 87th P. V. I., and was made sergeant Aug.
21, 1861, and was promoted from sergeant to
second lieutenant in the 39th Colored Regt.,
U. S. A. He was captured by the Rebels at
Carter's Woods, and was taken as a prisoner
of war to Richmond, Libby and Belle Isle.
Sergeant Frick -was a prisoner for only one
month, when, July 7, 1863, he was paroled,
and rejoined his regiment, having- been ex-
changed at City Point, Va. Fie was mustered



into the 39th as second lieutenant in the spring
of 1864 and became first lieutenant of Com-
pany H, Aug. 12, 1865; during the summer
and fall of 1S64 he was in command of Camp
Birney, in Baltimore; was discharged at Wil-
mington, N. C, and mustered out of service
with his regiment, at Baltimore, ]\ld., Dec. 4,
1865.

After the war, Mr. Frick Ijecame connected
with a commission house in Baltimore, Md.,
and thence removed to York, securing a posi-
tion with Bilmyer & Small, car builders, where
he remained ten years. He then became en-
gaged in the coal trade and afterward in the
insurance business. He was elected prothono-
tary of York county on the Republican ticket,
having been the only candidate of that party
elected against a united Democratic party.
After serving his term of three years as pro-
thonotary with fidelity and intelligence, Mr.
Frick resumed the insurance business, which
he has since conducted with great success.
His office is with Spangler & Woltman, on
East Market street.

Mr. Frick was married, in 1871, to Emma
Sechrist, daughter of the late Jacob A. Se-
christ, who was a well known merchant of
York. Seven children have been born to this
union, of whom three are deceased : one died
in infancy; Flattie, at the age of' fourteen
years ; and an only son, John Jacob, in his
twenty-first year. The survivors are : Clara
E., Hannah Hershey, Frances Snyder and
Susanna Wesley, the latter of whom graduated
from the York High School in the class of
1904.

^Nlr. Frick is a Master Mason. He belongs
to Sedgwick Post, No. 37, G. A. R., and to
the Union Veteran Legion. He is a member
of the Junior Order of American Mechanics,
the Heptasophs, the Royal Arcanum and the
Knights of Malta. He belongs to the First
Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he has
been a trustee for many years, being as popular
in the church as he is in the business and polit-
ical circles of York.

CAPT. HUGH W. McCALL. The :\Ic-
Call family has had intimate and hnnorable
connection with York county history for o\-er
one hundred and fifty years. Through one of
the public institutions of the county, known as
"McCall's Ferry," the name has Ijeen kept fa-
miliar to each succeeding generation in the
county, as well as by the prominent place in



1



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



affairs always occupied by the members of the
family. Intensely patriotic and loyal, there
has never been a time when the flag needed de-
fenders but that some members of the family
have distinguished themselves by faithful ser-
vice on the field. A word to note briefly the
facts concerning the history of the "McCall
Ferry" will ser\-e to introduce the family
sketch proper.

McCall's Ferry was established under the
name of White's Ferry in 1748. The ferry
derived its name later from the ancestors of
Hugh W. McCall, who were of Irish origin,
the earlier ones having migrated from the
North of Ireland to America, some time be-
tween the years of 1730 and 1760, taking up
their residence in York county near what was
later called "McCall's Ferry." In 1757, Joshua
Hedley secured control of the ferry, but was
later succeeded by George Stevenson. In 1772,
three years before the Revolution, John and
]\Iatthew McCall became its owners, and gave
to it the name by which it has since been known.
The ferry continued in the possession of the
family until 181 1, when it was purchased by
the }iIcCall Ferry Bridge Company. Then it
passed through the hands of different parties,
among them being Joseph Bailey, of Chester
county, who was president of the Bridge Com-
pany; his son-in-law, Mr. Marshall, being the
next OAvner, sold his interests to William Rich-
ardson, who retained possession until after the
War of the Rebellion, when Elias Frey pur-
chased it, and owned and operated it until re-
cently when it was sold to the McCall Ferry
W^ater Power Company.

The McCall family is one of the oldest in
the county, the head of the original three fam-
ilies being the great-grandfather of Hugh W.
McCall. The grandfather, Matthew McCall,
was a farmer of Lower Chanceford township,
as was also the father of our subject, James L.
]McCall, who was one of the promoters in the
building of shad fisheries in the Susciuehanna
at Cully's Falls. Among others the family
owned "Jackson Battery," named after "Old
Hickory," and where, in 1830, it is said that
twenty thousand shad were caught in two days.
This battery is still in the possession of the
family.

James L. McCall married Miss Sarah Dean
Whiteford, daughter of William Whiteford, of
Harford county, Md. The latter was captain
of a military company in the war of 1812, and



disting'uished himself at the battle of Havre-
De-Grace, where he was captured by the Brit-
ish and taken aboard a British warship. Later
he was paroled, and, tradition saysj was lib-
erated because he was a Mason.

Capt. Hugh W. McCall was one of nine
children, and was born on the Hill Head farms
a part of the old McCall homestead in Lowei
Chanceford township, York county. He was
educated at the Chestnut Level Academy, Lan^
caster county. Having chosen law as his proj
fession, he sti*died under Judge Thomas WJ
Bartley, of Ohio, and later was fortunate
enough to read law with Hon. Thomas El
Cochran, Auditor General of Pennsylvania.

At the opening of the Civil war, almost al
the first call for defenders, Mr. McCall rel
sponded, and was made Captain of CompanJ
A, 2 1 St Pennsylvania Cavalry, in which capac
ity he served two years, during that timl
participating in more than fifteen battles. Af-
ter the war he resumed the study of the law;
in 1867 was admitted to practice in the courts
of his home county, and later to the Supreme,
Superior and United States District courts.

Mr. McCall married Miss Rachel E. Kell,
daughter of Samuel Kell, a school-teacher. To
this union four sons were born : ( i ) James St.
Clair is mentioned below. (2) Hugh Clark is
a machinist and resides in York. (3) Samuel
K. is a member of the York county Bar. (4)
John is deceased. Hugh C. and Samuel K.
both served in the Spanish-American war,
the former as a member of Company M,
5th Infantry, and the latter in Warburton's
Battery of Philadelphia. These are sons to
be proud of, and their success is very gratify-
ing to the family and friends, none more ap-
preciating their efforts, which so add honor to
the old family name, than their father, Capt.
Hugh W. McCall. A peculiar fact about the
birth of these sons is that James St. Clair was
born Aug. 15, 1872, on the same day of the
month as Napoleon; Hugh Clark, on St. Pat-
rick's Day, March 17, 1874, while Samuel K.'s
birthday occurred April 9, 1876, the date of
Lee's surrender.

The foregoing facts clearly set forth the
important part which Capt. McCall's family
has played in the annals of the county.
The record is one of service — honest, upright
men, and brave, tender, noble women, all seek-
ing the good of the State and the welfare of
the nation. As to the generations now playing



BIOGRAPHICAL



547



their parts on the stage of hfe, no word of
conmiendation is too strong in speaking of tlieir
citizenship. Always alert to ally themselves
with the forces of law and order, giving voice
and material aid to every movement which
has outlook for the uplifting of humanity, they
deserve, as they receive, a large measure of
respect and esteem.

James St. Clair McCall, a well
known lawyer of York, who was triumphantly
elected mayor of York on the Republican ticket
in February, 1905, for a period of three years,
is the youngest incumbent of that position.
He received his early education in the public
schools of York; graduated from the York
high school at the head of his class in 1889,
and afterward attended Yale Law School,
where he graduated in 1893, again as the leader
of his class. At Yale he received the degree ot
Bachelor of Laws, Magna cum laiide, and was
also awarded the Frederick H. Betts prize of
$50 for leading his class in his Junior year, and
the Jewell prize of the same amount for being
at the head oi the Senior class. The class
numbered seventy-eight, only four of whom
were younger than Mr. McCall. In 1893 he
was admitted to practice at the bar of his native
State of Pennsylvania, and is now in active
practice in the city of York, before the courts
of York county, as well as the Appellate courts
of Pennsylvania. James St. .Clair jMcCall mar-
ried Miss Anna Fluhrer, daughter of William
Fluhrer, a merchant of York, Pa. Their only
child died in infancy.

ADAM NEIMAN (deceased) was born
in 1 83 1, in Conewago township, York Co., Pa.,
son of George, his grandfather and great-
grandfather also bearing the name of George.

George Neiman, the great-grandfather,
was born in Germany, and his son George {2)
settled in Conewago township, where he erected
the buildings and made the improvements on
the Neiman farm. At death he was buried at
Quickel's church in that township.

George Neiman (3), son of George (2),
and father of the late Adam Neiman, was, like
his ancestors, an agriculturist. He married
Mary Ruppert, and they both died in Cone-
wago township and were buried in the old cem-
etery at Ouickel's church. They had issue as
follows : Catherine, wife of Jacob Hake, died
in Manchester township ; Eliza, wife of Jacob
Shettel, died in Cumberland county, and is



buried at Ouickel's churcli ; Elizabeth, wife of
Samuel Shettel, lives at York; Sallie, wife of
David Maish, and mother of Col. 2\Iaish, of
York, died in Manchester township ; John mar-
ried Catherine Heilman, and died at York;
George married Caroline Gross, and died in
Manchester township ; Mary married Solomon
Shettel, and lives at Princeton, 111. ; Rebecca
is the wife of Peter Altland of Manchester bor-
ough ; Lovina married Henry Hoffman, died in
Manchester township and was buried at Ouick-
el's church; Samuel married Elizabeth Fer-
rence, and died in Dover; Adam; Susanna is
the wife of Jacob Rudy, of Steelton ; and Leah
married William Metzger, of Steelton.

The late- Adam Neiman received a common-
school education and worked for his father like
a good, industrious, dutiful son until his mar-
riage, which took place in 1857, to Elizabeth
Bear. Mrs. Neiman was born in 1836, in
Conewago township, daughter of Jacob S. and
Elizabeth (Stover) Bear, the former of whom
was born in Manchester township, York coun-
ty, where he followed farming and later dis-
tilling, in Conewago township. He married
Elizabeth Stover, daughter of Henry and Su-
sanna (Bott) Stover. Mr. Stover was also
prominent. Mr. Bear owned about 600 acres
of land, and later bought a mill at Strinestown.
His last days were spent on his farm in Cone-
wago township, where he died aged iifty-sevec
years, and both he and wife were buried at
Ouickel's church. At one time he was a colo-
nel of the State militia.

After Mr. and Mrs. Neiman's marriage
they settled in Conewago township, where he
bought a farm of 140 acres, operating it until
1 88 1, when he purchased a comfortable home
with twelve acres of land, and resided on it
until the close of his life, being retired for some
years. He died April 5, 1899, aged sixty-se\-en
years, eight months and three days, and was
laid to rest with his ancestors in the old church-
yard at Ouickel's church. Of this church he
was a faithful member, holding many oiificial
positions in it, and giving very generously to
its support.

Mrs. Neiman still resides in Conewago
township-. The family consisted of these mem-
bers : Martha, who resides with her mother ;
Alice, wife of George Bupp, of York; Alvin,
who married Lillie Shettel, and is in business in
Philadelphia; Elizabeth, wife of \\'illiam Kline-
dinst, of York; and Annie, who married Albert



54S



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENXSYLVANLA.



Rawhouser, died at the age of thirty-five
years and is buried at Green Mount cemetery.
The famil}^ is one of prominence in this towr.-
ship, and no man was held in higher esteem
than Mr. Neiman. In poHtics he was a Repub-
lican. For a long time he served the people of
the township on the school board, and was al-
ways ready to do everything in his power to
improve his community and to make his fam-
ily happy.

JOHN FERTNER, proprietor of the
Hopewell Poultry and Fruit farm, was born
in Baltimore, ^Id., July lo, 1863, son of John
Sr., and Lizzie (Geisel) Fertner.

John Fertner, Sr., was born in Germany,
in 1833, there obtaining an ordinar}^ education
and learning the tanner's trade. He married
Miss Lizzie Geisel, and they came to America,
landing at Baltimore, Md., in 1853. In Balti-
more Mr. Fertner was engaged as a furnace
hand, then kept store for a time, and about
1865 removed to East Hopewell township.
There he rented a farm for several years, after
which he purchased a homestead from Robert
Wilson, on which he died in the fall of 1900.
Mrs. Fertner still resides on the farm. Their
children were : Katy, Mrs. George Bock, died
in Baltimore; Gussie, Mrs. Phil Myers, lives
in Harford county, Md. ; John ; George, on the
home farm, married Maggie King; and Lizzie
resides in Philadelphia.

When a small child John Fertner, our sub-
ject, was brought to East Hopewell township
by his father, and there he received his educa-
tion and was reared to manhood. His first
teacher was Lizzie Hyson, and when he left
school, at fourteen years of age, he had been
under the tuition of Lydia Kurtz. He was
reared to the life of an agriculturist, and at the
age of fotu'teen years began work among the
farmers of his section, receiving at first six
' dollars and a half per month. He received
these -wages for two years, and then went to
work by the day, continuing thus until he was
twenty-four years of age. He then farmed
tobacco on shares until he was twenty-six years
old. On April 30, 1890, he married Miss Gus-
sie Pomeranning, daughter of Fred Pomeran-
ning, of Chanceford township. To Mr. and
Mrs. Fertner these children have been born :
John (deceased), George, James, Carl and
Harry. After his marriage Mr. Fertner pur-
chased his present place of thirty acres and en-



gaged in the poultry business, and for the last
six years has made a specialty of White Wyan-
dottes. About 1900 he added horticulture to
his poultry business, and now raises fine crops
of pears, apples, plums, etc. Mr. Fertner has



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 104 of 201)