Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 105 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 105 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


made a success of his business and is counted
among the substantial men of his township.
He is a member of St. James Lutheran Church,
and has been sexton in that church. In politics
he is a Democrat.

JOHN REESER, for a number of years
one of the prominent farmers of Conewago and
Manchester townships, and for thirty years a
justice of the peace, had lived retired from the
spring of 1871 until his death in 1892.

Mr. Reeser was born in Manchester town-
ship, Jan. 8, 1812, son of William Reeser, and
was reared in his native place, where he re-
ceived his education in the public schools and
academy. After his marriage Mr. Reeser pur-
chased a farm of 160 acres in Conewago and
Manchester townships, making his home on the
Conewago side. He was a prominent man in
his time, and took a deep interest in all that
promised to benefit his community. For thirty
years he was justice of the peace, and served
one term as auditor of York, representing the
Democratic party. In his later 3'ears he was a
member of the Reformed Church.

Mr. Reeser married Miss Elizabeth Hake,
who was born Feb. 16, 181 6, and who died
June 26, 1883, the mother of the following
children : Mary Ann, born Dec. 29, 1835, died
April 16, 1838; Louisa, born April 30, 1837,
died June 29, 1837; Sarah Ann, born Jrme 'Z"],
1838, died Aug. 13, 1841 ; Eliza, born Sept.
12, 1840, died Sept. 26, 1840; one born Jan.
27, 1842, died on the same day; Emma, born
July 12, 1843, married William H. Kochenour
and died Dec. 19, 1904; Jacob, born June 25,
1844, is a resident of York; Elizabeth, born
вЦ†June 26, 1846, married George Dick, of York;
Ann, born Dec. 24, 1848, married John Bahn.
of York; Franklin was born March 19, 1851:
Susan, born Sept. 19, 1853, died at the age of
six years, six months and twenty-six days ; anr!
John, born July 7, 1856, is a resident of Adams
county.

Frank Reeser was born on the okl home-
stead where he spent his boyhood days. He was
educated in the public and private schools and
the academy, and then taught twp winters in
the district schools. In 1871, he went West to



BIOGRAPHICAL



549



Decatur, 111., where he was employed in the
boot and shoe business for two years, and th-en
and there, for a period of eleven years, engaged
in the line of leather and findings, saddlery and
hardware. He then engaged in the tiling busi-
ness at Litchfield, conducting a large and profit-
able trade. In 1888, he returned to Pennsyl-
vania, and located at York, where he engaged
in the shoe business for some eight 3'ears, and
subsequently dealt in real estate. Mr. Reeser
was a charter member of the York Silk Manu-
facturing Company, of which he and Mr. Mus-
ser were at one time sole owners. He sold out
and became a charter member of the Monarch
Silk Mills, of which interest he has also dis-
posed. Mr. Reeser has always been identified
with any enterprise that proves itself beneficial
to the city.

Mr. Reeser was married Jan. 15, 1878, to
Miss Louisa H. Hake, daughter of Hemy and
Emma E. (Vandersloot) Hake, born in Cone-
wago township. They are the parents of Ar-
thur H., who, on Jan. i, 1903, became a mem-
ber of the wholesale grocery and drug firm of
C. W. Brant & Co., having a full half interest
in the business. He is a thorough young busi-
ness man, having received his education in
the public schools of York, and at Patrick's
Business College. Mr. and Mrs. Reeser are
members of the Union Lutheran Church of
York and reside at No. 422 \\'est ^Market
street.

PHILIP HENISE, who was for twenty-
three years engaged as a merchant in Zions
View, Conewago township, was born April
II, 1841, in Dover township, son of David
and Lydia (Ilgenfritz) Henise.

Barnett Henise, great-great-grandfather of
Philip, came from Germany and settled in
Dover township, and our subject still possesses
the original deed of 1762 to the tract of land,
then comprising 196 (now 113) acres. Bar-
nett Henise died in Dover township, and at
his death his son John inherited the farm,
which he worked until his death in Dover town-
ship.

Philip Henise, son of John and grandson
of the emigrant, came to the property through
his father, and like his parents followed agri-
cultural pursuits all of his life. Mr. Henise
M-as the father of these children : Hannah,
Louisa, David, Magdalena and Elizabeth.
David Henise was born in Do\'er township,



and purchased the old farm, upon which he
worked until a few years before his death,
when he went to the borough of Dover and
spent the balance of his days in retirement.
Mr. Henise married Lydia Ilgenfritz, who died
in Dover borough, and both husband and wife
were interred at Strayer's Church, Dover town-
ship. Their children were: Philip; Peter, liv-.
ing ill York ; Sarah, who married Edward Kee-
sey; and Amanda (deceased), who married
Martin Hamm.

Philip Henise attended the schools of Dover
township until he was eighteen years of age,
and then engaged in farming for ten years. In
1867 he removed to Zions View, Conewago
township, where he bought property and en-
gaged in mercantile pursuits, in which he was
eminently successful, carrying on the business
for about twenty-three years. Mr. Henise re-
sides at home, making improvements, and owns
the old family tract, having two farms, of
100 and 113 acres, respectively, in Dover town-
ship; also a magnificent farm of 150 acres in
Conewago township, upon which he is superin-
tending the work. Besides all these Mr. Henise
is the lortunate owner of a fine piece of timber
land.

Mr. Henise married Catherine Eisenhart,
daughter of John Eisenhart, who died in 1895
and is buried at Strayer's Church. The chil-
dren born to this union were : Elsie, who mar-
ried John Shettle (deceased), of York; and
Violetta, who married Frank Irvin (deceased).
Mr. Henise's second marriage was to Leah
Mary (Mechling) Boyer, daughter of Henry
Mechling. Mr. Henise is a member of the
Lutheran Church, in wdiich he is an elder. In
political matters he is a stanch Democrat, at
present serving as auditor of the township. His
standing in the community is that of an honest,
upright and public-spirited citizen, ready to
support and preserve good government.

ERANKLIN EVANS, of Lower Windsor
township, who has passed practically his entire
life in York county, was born on a farm in Hel-
1am township, York county, Feb. 7, 1842, and
is a son of Samuel and Sarah (Hetrick) Evans,
the former of \\dTOm was born in this county in
1814, while the latter was born at Seven Val-
ley, York county, in 1820. The father passed
his enrh- life in Hellam township, where he was
reared to maturity on a farm, receiving limited
educational advantases. He eventuallv en-



55'3



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



gaged in farming on "nis own responsibility and
continued to be identified with the agricidtural
affairs of Hellam township for many years,
finally removing to a farm eight miles from
Baltimore, Md., where he passed the remainder
of his life, his death occurring in 1885, at the
age of seventy-one years. His widow survived
until January, 1904, and her death occurred in
Red Lion, York county. Both were devour
Christians and in every relation of life com-
manded general respect and esteem. In poli-
tics the father was an unswerving Democrat,
being a man of strong mental traits and well
fortified in his convictions and opinions. Of
the three children Franklin was the first-born ;
William, who married Miss Amanda Landis,
is engaged as tobacco stripper at Red Lion,
York county ; and Emanuel, the youngest child,
died in early youth.

Franklin Evans was afforded the educa-
tional privileges of the common schools of Hel-
lam township, which he continued to attend at
intervals until he had reached the age of eigh-
teen years, while on the farm he was early in-
ured to the labors of the field. He remained
at home until his marriage, June 29, 1865, at
which time he was twenty-three years of age.
After assuming the new responsibilities Mr.
Evans and his father located on the Henry
Flory farm, in Hellam township, where they
were engaged in general farming for the en-
suing two years, after which Franklin individ-
ually continued operations for an equal period.
He then rented a house and for a number of
years worked on various farms by the day. lu
1872 he purchased his present farm from
Moses Emenheiser, the tract comprising forty
one acres of excellent land, all of which is
available for cultivation. On the place he has
made many improvements, especially in vhe
erection of minor farm buildings for the storage
and protection of produce and live stock. He
erected his present commodious and attractive
residence in 1899, the former dwelling on the
place having been destroyed by fire in that vear.
His wife has proved an able coadjutor and has,
by her counsel and her active co-operation,
greatly contributed to the success which has
so significantly crowned his efforts. The farm
is devoted to general agriculture, special atten-
tion being given to the raising of tobacco.

In politics Mr. Evans is found stanchly ar-
rayed as a supporter of Republican principles
and policies, and though never ambitious for



public office, he has never failed to do his part
ni upholding those enterprises and measures
which tend to conserve the general welfare.
Both he and his wife are valued and zealous
members of the Canadochley Lutheran
Church.

On June 29, 1865, Mr. Evans \\as united
in marriage to Sarah Abel, who was born in
Lower Windsor township Dec. 17, 1844,
daughter of John and Mary (Keller) Abel.
Her father was one of the honored and influ-
ential farmers of the township, where he died
in 1865, at the age of sixty-four years. He
held various township offices, and both he and
his wife were devoted members of the Can-
adochley Church, in whose cemetery both were
laid to rest, the devoted wife and mother hav-
ing been summoned to the life eternal in 1894
at the age of eighty-five years. Of the chil-
dren of this worthy couple it is recorded that
John removed to Missouri, where he died a
number of years ago ; Hannah is the widow of
a Mr. Hudson of Missouri; Sophia, also re-
sides in that State, being the widow of Ru-
dolph Flory, who died there; Mai-y is the wife
of Samuel Winters, of Lower Windsor town-
ship ; George likewise removed to Missouri,
where he married and where he passed the re-
mainder of his life; Samuel, a bachelor, is also
a resident of Missouri ; Henry, who married
Miss Mary Fouth, resides on the old home
farm, in Lower Windsor township ; Peter, who
married Elizabeth Fouth, is also a farmer of
that township ; and Moses, who married Celina
Hengst, is a farmer of Hellam township. Mrs.
Evans was reared in her native township, and
her early educational training was secured in
what is known as the Kline school. Concern-
ing the five children of Mr. and Mrs. Evans
the following brief record is given : Samuel,
born Feb. 17, 1866, died Aug. 5, 1866; John
Edward, born May 17, 1867, married Mary
McCann and they reside in Baltimore, Md. ;
Mary Matilda, born Sept. 10, 1869, is the wife
of Nelson Sheets, a cigarmaker, and they re-
side in Martinsville; Sarah Ann, born Jan.
21, 1871, is the wife of Daniel Fry, of Chance-
ford township; and Emanuel, born March IQ.
1875, died Sept. 20, 1875.

WTLLIAM H. YOST, of North York bor;
ough, was born in Dover township, in 1847,
son of Charles and Sarah (Lauei^) Yost. The
Yost family is of German origin, and Abra-



BIOGRAPHICAL



ham Yost, the grandfather of William H., was
born in York county, being a farmer of Do\er
township. He married a ^liss Feiser, both he
and his wile dying in Dover township, where
they were also buried.

Charles Yost was born in Dover township,
where he received a common-school education,
and worked upon his father's farm until his
marriage to Sarah Lauer, of Dover township.
Mr. Yost first bought his father's fine farm,
and in the spring of 1849 purchased the old
Andrews farm, which is now owned by his
son, ^Vi^iam H. Yost. Charles Yost built a
fine residence here, but for some years prior to
his death lived in York City, retired from ac-
tive labor. His death occurred in 1887, and
he is buried at Prospect Hill cemetery, where
his wife is also interred. Mr. Yost was a Re-
publican, and while in Manchester township
served as school director; he was a consistent
member of the Reformed Church, in which he
held all of the offices. The children born to
him and wife were : Eliza and Ellen reside in
York: Sarah Ann, died young, and William H.

\\'illiam H. Yost came with his parents
from Dover township to Manchester' township
when he was two and one-half years old, and
received his education in the public schools,
the York County Academy and the Millersville
Academy, subsecjuently teaching school for
three years in ]\Ianchester township. In 1873
he married Amanda E. Sprenkle, born Oct. 1 7,
1 85 1, in Manchester township, daughter of
George and Sarah (Emig) Sprenkle, the par-
ents of Mrs. Yost being residents of Manches-
ter township, where Mr. Sprenkle died in 1905.
After his marriage Mr. Yost located on the
family farm, a tract of ninety acres to which
he fell heir at the time of his father's death,
and another fine property of 115 acres in the
same township; he also owns a farm of 119
acres in Dover township. Mr. Yost remained
on the family homestead about thirty years,
building a fine residence in North York bor-
ough. He removed thither in 1901, and buy-
ing a small tract. of land from Harrj' L. King
built thirty-one houses, most of North York
borough standing on his farm. Mr. Yost is
prosperous and enterprising, and has hosts of
friends in the communitv. To himself and wife
these children have been born : Harvey L.,
born Dec. 7, 1874, died at the age of six years,
Jan. 9, 1880, and is buried at Prospect Hill
cemetery; Sadie, born July 10, 1877; Charles



Edward, born in August, 1879, atten.'cd the
York County Academy and the Mil!ers\ille
Normal School, graduated from the Shippens-
burg school in Cumberland count)-, attentled
schools in the West, taught school five years
in North York borough, was principal ot
schools there for three years, was a councilman
of North York and is at present teaching in
Bradford, Pa.; William Albert, born Aug. 13..
1881, died Nov. 13, 1889; Clayton S. and Net-
tie S. were born Dec. 19, 1883, but the foriuer
died Feb. 13, 1885, while Nettie is a graduate
of Patrick's Business College of York ; Allen
W^infield, born April 5, 1886, is attending the
academy at York ; Susie Ellen, born July 1 1 ,
1888, is attending school in York; Paul S.,
born Dec. 17, 1891, and Flossie Maria, b.orn
March 3, 1894, are both at home. In politics
Mr. Yost is a firm supporter of Republican
principles, and in religion is affiliated \\ith the
iMoravian Church.

ANDREW SCHWENK. In the death of
Andrew Schwenk, who' passed awa,y at 5 :25
o'clock on the morning of March 20, 1903, the
city of York lost an adopted son who had indi-
vidually done much for it. .At all times he was
in the forefront in everything that tended to the
general municipal welfare and improvement;
in business he was characterized by strict integ-
rity, and socially possessed an innumerable cir-
cle of friends drawn to him through his genial
nature and warm-heartedness.

Mr. Schwenk was a native of Germauy,
born in September, 1848, at Burdenberg, where
his trade of filemaker was learned under his
father. When twenty-one years of age he
came to the United States, and followed his.
vocation in the southern States, chiefly at New
Orleans. After being thus employed for nine^
years he located in York, where he resided up
to the time of his death, during which period
he pursued his trade as a file manufacturer and
file cutter, his skill as a workman being evi-
denced by his continuous and increasing suc-
cess. His interest in municipal affairs was
thoroughly recognized by the citizens of the
Third ward, who for three consecutive terms-
returned him as one of their representatives to
the common council. While a member of that
body he served on the Water committee for two
years, and at other periods of his aldermanic
career was connected with several of the im-
portant committees, being ever on the alert to



552



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



advance leg'islation that tended to tlie perma-
nent betterment of the city and also to the
Avise expenditure of the municipal revenues.
INIr. Schwenk has always been a steadfast Re-
publican, ready to render his party a service,
and at the same time mindful of the welfare of
the city, regardless of politics. In line with his
knowledge of city affairs the Republicans
nominated him as one of their candidates for
the short term of the city assessorship, t(_i which
office he was elected. In his official capacity
Mr. Schwenk made a decidedly favorable im-
pression with property owners, regardless of
their political belief. His honest and fearless
attitude iii the work of assessing properties was
characteristic of him as a holder of other posi-
tions of trust, and it was these sterling quali-
ties that made him a good councilman, re-
spected alike by Republicans and Democrats.
In 1903 he was renominated to the office, for
the long term of three years, and the best proof
of his ability and the regard in which he was
held by the people lies in the fact that he was
the only man recorded in the history of Y'ork,
who had ever been elected to succeed himself
as city assessor; that too, by a good majority.
In 18S2 Mr. Schwenk was married to ]^Iiss
Mary Bergman, daughter of John and Anna
Bergman, of York. To this union were born :
Amelia, a stenographer for C. C. Spalir ; Laura,
a teacher in the Garfield school of York ; and
Annie. The widow and her three daughters
reside at No. 324 Noi"th George street, where
they have lived since Mr. Schwenk's death.
Fraternally Mr. Schwenk was connected with
the Harmonia Lodge of Odd Fellows, Sandi-
lands Commandery, Knights of Malta, and in
his religious views was a member of Zion Re-
formed Church. Mr. Schwenk's body was
placed in its last resting place in Prospect Hill
cemetery, surrounded by a host of sorrowing
friends and relatives. The Rev. George Sti-
bitz, pastor of Zion Reformed Church, con-
ducted the services, pa3'jng a glowing tribute to
the deceased and speaking comforting words
to the family. At the conclusion of the relig-
ious rites, the Knights of Malta took charge
and rendered a short service. Ma3'or Gibson
and memljers of the common council attended
in a body and acted as an escort to the cemetery.
During the day, the family residence was vis-
ited by numbers of friends and former associ-
ates of Mr. Schwenk to take a last look at their
departed friend, and as they gazed nt the life-



less form lying in the casket, with not a trace
of the terrible suffering through which he had
passed, many a tear was shed and great regret
expressed for the untimely death of one of
York's most progressi^x citizens.

J. W. ANDERSON belongs to an old
family of Hopewell township. He was born
Feb. 5, 1837, in Fawn township, York county,
a son of Joseph R. and Elizabeth (Wilson)
Anderson.

John Anderson, the paternal grandfather,
was a native of York county where his life
was passed iti agricultural pursuits. He mar-
ried Agnes Duncan, and they had children as
follows : David, John, Robert, Andrew, Wil-
liam, and Joseph R. John Anderson was an .
elder in the Center Presbyterian Church.

James Wilson, Mr. Anderson's grand-
father, resided at ]\Iine Branch, and was
known as "Mine Branch James" to distinguish'
him from numerous others of the same name
in that locality. He owned farms in Hope-
well township. Pa., and in Harford county,
Md., was- an elder in the Presbyterian Church
of the latter county, and was in all regards a,
hig'hly respected man. He married Elnoraj
Manifold, and they had these children : James 1
and Benjamin, both of whom died in youngs
manhood ; Elizabeth, who married Joseph R.
Anderson; Rachel A., who married Jacob
Gladen ; Elnora, who married Robert Kilgore ;
Sarah Ann, who married Samuel Wallace, and
^Martha, who married James Gilbreath.

Joseph R. Anderson was a farmer in Fawn
township, where he was also an elder in the
Presbyterian Church, and a highly respected
citizen ; he was buried in Center Church ceme-
tery. He married Elizabeth Wilson, and their
children were: James. W.: John H. ; Joseph
W. : Reed ^^^ : Agnes, who married John
Galley : Ellen, who married Alexander D.
Wilson ; Rachel, who married John Brown,
and Martha (deceased).

J. W. Anderson, in all essentials, is a self-
macle man. His educational opportunities were
only those afforded b}- the common schools,
the greater part of his intellectual training be-
ing obtained at the Blue Ball log schoolhouse
in Fawn township. He continued to work the
home farm and carry on a fertilizing business
until thirty-four years of age, when he settled
on his own homestead in Hopewell township.
Here he continued to farm and to conduct a



BIOGRAPHICAL



553



fertilizing business in connection witli it for
several years. In 1872 he enlarged his in-
terests, entering upon the manufacture of lum-
ber, the bailing of hay and the threshing of
grain, being for some years extensively en-
gaged in all these enterprises. He is yet in-
terested in the lumber business, being president
of the Stewartstown Lumber Company, a posi-
tion he has held since its organization. He is
also a stockholder and one of the directors of
the Stewartstown Furniture Co. : a chartier
member and one of the directors of the First
National Bank of Stewartstown : one of the
stockholders and managers of one of the best
weekly papers in this part of the county, the
Sfczi'arfsfoii'ii N'civs; one of the charter mem-
bers of the Stewartstown Railway Company,
of which he has been president (succeeding
the late James Fulton, whose death occurred
in 1895) : and is also one of the charter mem-
bers of the Stewartstown Water Company, and
for the past ten years has been a member of
the board of managers of the Agricultural So-
ciety of York county. It will thus be seen
that ^Ir. Anderson is closely identified with
the leading and successful business enterprises
and public-spirited movements of his section.
No man could have arisen to such prominence
without possessing a high order of business
ability and the standing and reliability inspired
by sterling traits of character.

]Mr. Anderson was married Feb. 28. 1871,
to Louisa Gemmill, daughter of Benjamin
Gemmill. Three children were born to this
union, namely : Marian E., who married John
]\Ianifold; Howard W.. who married Jennie
Liggett: and Joseph R., who married Mar-
garet Manifold. In addition to carefully man-
aging his own affairs, which consequently have
prospered to an unusual degree, Mr. Ander-
son has always found time to attend to matters
pertaining to the welfare of the community.
His interest has continued undiminished in
the public schools and his children have been
afforded advantages far in excess of his own.
He is known as a strong supporter of temper-
ance and was one of the organizers of the lodge
of Good Templars, filling all the offices in that
body during the life of the organization. He
is also a liberal supporter of religious work,
and has long been a member of the Presb)'-
terian Chiuxh and a member of the board of
trustees.



EMMANUEL B. GOOD was born June 28,
1835, in Manchester township, son of Jacob
Good.

Jacob Good was born Dec. 15, 1790, at
the old home in Manchester township, and
received a common-school education, working
on \'arious farms until he was able to bu_\- a
part of the homestead upon which he resided
for several years. Later he removed to Lower
Windsor township, near Prospect, where he
engaged in farming for six years, at the end
of that time returning to Manchester town-
ship and buying- 100 acres of fine land, lo-
cated about two miles south of Manchester
borough on the old Board road. There he
remained until his death, which occurred in
1863. Jacob Good was a type of the class
of men who succeed in life, one who knew how
to join a working- arm to a thinking head,
and one who also had the ability to make and
keep warm friends. He was very warmly es-
teemed throughout Manchester township.

Mr. Good married Catherine Bear, whose
father was Jacob Bear and whose mother was
before marriage a Miss Shelley. The chil-
dren born to this union were : Rudolph, born
April 15, 1822, died in this township: Jacob,



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 105 of 201)