Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 107 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 107 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Rebecca, Mrs. D. F. Hannigan, of East Pros-



BIOGRAPHICAL



559



pect; Agnes I., Mrs. Lee Detweiler, deceased;
Barbara E., Mrs. John W. Blake, of York;
and ]\Ioses M., of Loganville, who married
Annie Hiklerbrand. Of the above family,
Jesse, Jacob H. and William R. served in the
Civil war. Jesse was a private in Company
C, 87th P. V. I., for two years, re-enlisted in
the same company and regiment, and was
killed in the battle of Monocacy, Md., and was
brought home for burial. Jacob H., deceased,
served three years in Company C, 87th P. V.
I., re-enlisted for one year in Cook's Veteran
Corps, and was captured by Mosby's guerillas
while on his way home, but escaped and made
his way into the Union lines ; he married Eliza-
beth Portner, migrated to Ohio and resided
near Mifflin.

William R. Snyder lived in his native lo-
cality until the age of seven years, when his
father moved to the farm just south of Win-
terstown in what is now North Hopewell town-
ship, and there he remained until manhood.
He was educated at the local schools, his first
teacher being Anthony Bowman, and his last,
his brother, Henry H. Snyder. His family
was an intelligent one, all of them being fond
of books, and it was often remarked that the
Snyder children stood at the head of their
classes. Although reared as a farmer he
learned the carpenter's trade and worked at it
for a few seasons. He then taught school in
the township for three winters, working as a
carpenter in the summer seasons. Mr. Snyder
was teaching- school at the outbreak of the
Civil war, and, as his brothers were in the
army, he remained in that occupation and in
charge of the family at home until his own en-
listment for one year, Aug. 31, 1864. On that
date he was enrolled in Company B, 209th
P. V. I., under Capt. H. W. Spangler and Col.
T. B. Kauffman, with First Brigade Col.
Devens, Third Division. Gen. Hartranft,
Ninth Corps, M'aj. Gen. Parks. The regiment
was sent directly to the front without previous
drill, going by vessel from Harrisburg to Balti-
more, and Mr. Sn3rder participated in the bat-
tles of Port Steadman, the second day's fight
at Petersburg and Bermuda Hundred. He was
honorably discharged May 31, 186^, at Alex-
andria. Ya., and has a record to which he can
refer with pardonable pride, as a brave and
faithful soldier. After his return from the
army, Mr. Snyder farmed for his father-in-law
for a short time, and when his father became



ill he took charge of the home farm. After
the death of his mother he bought the home-
stead which he had been operating. He con-
tinued to work the place until the spring of
1893, when he sold the property and retired
to spend the balance of his days in a pleasant
home at Winterstown. He is a leading mem-
ber in the Union Evangelical Church, and
formerly was class leader and steward.

In politics Mr. Snj'der is a very strong
supporter of the Republican party. His first
vote was cast for Abraham Lincoln while he
was in a blue uniform at Bermuda Hundred,
voting at a point from which the enemy's
forces could be plainly seen. Mr. Snyder was
twice elected supervisor of his township and
once inspector, and since coming to Winters-
town he has served as judge of elections.

Mr. Snyder was married, Oct. 4, 1866, to
Sarah A. Fulton, born in Hopewell township,
daughter of the late James and Eliza (Meads)
Fulton. Eleven children have been born to
this union, namely: James F., of Hopewell
township; William M., of Winterstown, who
married Clara Grove; Ruth E., wife of W. N.
Carman of Winterstown; Arthur F., of ^^''■in-
terstown, who married Claudia Strayer; Jacob
N., of Hopewell township, who married Flor-
ence Althouse; Ivy Pearl, wife of Garfield
Mundis, of Winterstown; Sanford Clyde, of
Hopewell township, who married Susan Kib-
bler; Irving C, of that township, who married
Daisy Waltemeyer; Miss Orpha J.: A\'ilfred
Ray, at home; and Sarah E., who died aged
twelve years. These children were all given
careful rearing and excellent educational ad-
vantages, and have grown up to be respected
members of society. Mr. and Mrs. Snyder
have made many warm friends since coming
to town and still retain the deep friendships
formed in earlier years. They are hospitable,
kind, friendly people, who are respected and
beloved wherever known.

SAMUEL URICH, a retired farmer of
Wellsville, Warrington township, York coun-
ty, was born July 12, 1832, in "W'arrington
township, son of John and Catherine Urich,
and a grandson of John and Catherine (Lam-
bert) Urich.

The grandparents were both born in Leb-
anon county. Pa., and the grandfather was a
farmer all his life. He settled in \\'arrington
township, where he purchased land, and be-



;6o



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



came quite successful. He reared the follow-
ing family of children : Jonas, David, Emanuel,
John, Elizabeth, Polly and Sally. In religious
belief Mr. and Mrs. Urich were Lutherans,
while in politics he was a Democrat. His
death occurred in 1842, while Mrs. Urich died
in her eightieth year. John Urich was highly
respected in Warrington township. His re-
mains rest in the cemetery at St. John's Church
in that township.

John Urich, the father of our subject, was
born in Warrington township, and like his
father followed farming all his life. He ac-
quired a piece of property of 190 acres, and
was one of the substantial men of his time.
He and his wife, Catherine Benedick, were the
parents of the following children : Harriet,
Samuel, Lucinda, John, Matilda, Templeton
M., Henry, Sarah, and Catherine. In religion
the family were Lutherans, and like his father
Mr. Urich was a Democrat. Mr. Urich died
at the age of forty-six, April 17, 1848, while
his wife survived until 1857, being fifty years
old at the time of her death.

Samuel Urich received his education in the
common schools of Warrington township.
After completing his schooling he worked upon
a farm for eight years, after which he pur-
chased a farm of fifty-four acres. In 1861 he
located upon this property, which he cultivated
until 1879, and then sold it and purchased a
farm of sixty acres on the State road, which
he cultivated until 1902. This he sold to
Richard Young, of New York City, together
with a farm he had purchased in 1885, which
was known as the Bushey farm, and consisted
of eighty acres. Mr. Urich now owns a small
home on the State road and the property in
which he resides in Wellsville.

Samuel Urich married, in 1856, Miss Lydia
Furrer, daughter of Henry and Harriet
(Sprenkle) Furrer, who was born in Dover
township. Mr. and Mts. Urich have never
had any children of their own, but they have
reared the following children : Catherine
Urich, a sister of Mr. Urich, was nine years
old when taken in the family, remaining with
them until she was eighteen years old ; she is
now the wife of E. L. Apple, a manufacturer
of leather fly nets of Wellsville. Grant
Sprenkle came to Mr. and Mrs. Urich when
five years old, and remained with them until
the age of fourteen. Anna Snellbaker was
given a home at the age of five, and remained



with them until she was twenty-seven years
old, when she married Jacob Stough, and after
marriage they remained on the farm until ]\Ir.
Urich disposed of it, when Mr. Stough was re-
tained by Mr. Young as farm manager.

Mr. and Mrs. Urich are members of the
Evangelical Church. Mr. Urich is a Demo-
crat, but has never taken an active in-
terest in politics. Mr. Urich is noted for his
kindness of heart, and he is very highly re-
spected in the community, in which he has
made his home.

BENJAMIN F. STRICKLER stands at
the head of one of the leading industrial enter-
prises of York county, Pa., being the manu-
facturer of the "Success" tobacco-scrap ma-
chines, cigar-mold presses and various cigar
manufacturers' supplies and specialties, and
having a well-equipped plant in the village of
Benro}'. He is one of the representative busi-
ness men of his native county, controls a large
and far-reaching trade, and is a citizen who is
markedly public-spirited and progressive, well
meriting the high esteem in which he is held
in the community. He was born in Windsor
township, York Co., Pa., Nov. 9, 1844, and
is a scion of one of the sterling pioneer fam-
ilies of the count)'.

Christopher Strickler, grandfather of Ben-
jamin F., was likewise born in York county,
where his parents settled in an early day, being
of stanch German lineage, and he became one
of the influential and successful farmers of
Spring Garden township, where his death oc-
curred, and his mortal remains rest in the old
Strickler cemetery at Stony Brook, that town-
ship. Of his children, Daniel died in Wayne
county, Ind. ; Llenr}' becaine the father of Ben-
jamin F. ; Magdalena and Susanna married and
passed their entire lives in York and Cumber-
land counties : David, Lena and Mary were
triplets, and all attained venerable age, the first
named having died at the age of eighty years,
Lena at the age of eighty-two, and Mary at
the age of eighty-four, and all of them died in.
Manchester township, the daughters being
buried in the old cemetery at Manchester, and
David at the Bear school house in Manchester
township.

lienry Strickler. son of Christopher, was
born in Spring Garden township, Feb. 12, 1809,
and was reared under the conditions and in-
fluences of the pioneer era, receiving a common-



i



WM


^I^^^^SS


ifci^i ^^





(






1






W^M


H




%^^. :




I


M


^^^> 9L


/^


1


m J


fc^.'^W




■R


ly






E



BIOGR.VPHICAL



5'5i



school education, antl early becoming inured to
the strenuous work of the home farm. He be-
came a 5uccessful farmer, having followed this
\'Ocation in Spring Garden, Windsor and York
townships, and he finally removed ti_> Wayne
county, Ind., where he remained but a short
time, and then, being dissatisfied with the out-
look and conditions there, he returned to his
native count}' and purchased a tract of more
than two hundred acres in York township,
where he continued to be engaged in general
farming until his death, Afarch ii, 1898. when
he was aged eighty-nine years and twenty-sev-
en days. He was one of the leading farmers and
most honored citizens of this part of the county,
and. having made his life count for good in all
its relations, he commanded the unc|ualified es-
teem of all who knew him. The remains of
this sterling citizen were laid to rest in the
family cemetery. In the year 1837 was solemn-
ized the marriage of Henry Strickler to ]\Iiss
Catherine Bahn, who was born and reared in
York county, daughter of Adam Bahn and sis-
ter of Rachel Bahn, of Hellam township, who
is specially well-known throughout the county.
Mrs. Strickler was summoned into eternal rest
Feb. 18, 1894, and is interred by the side of
her husband, at Stony Brook. Both were con-
sistent members of the River Brethren church,
and in politics Mr. Strickler was a stanch Dem-
ocrat. The children of this honored couple
were as follows : Aaron, who married Sarah
Hartman, is a retired farmer, residing in the
borough of Manchester, this county ; Israel died
Feb. 6, 1854, at the age of fourteen years, four
months and eight days ; Mary is the wife of
John Sechrist, and they reside near Yoe, Wind-
sor township; Henry, born in 1843, ^^ a repre-
sentative farmer of York township, and has
been twice married, first to Emeline Reicliart,
who died March 24, 1871, and second to Eliza-
beth Everhart ; Benjamin F. was the next in
the order of birth; Rachel is the wife of Jacob
H. Sechrist, of York township, who is indi-
vidually mentioned elsewhere ; Annie is the
wife of Rev. Peter AYilliams, a Dunkard clergy-
man, and they reside in York township ; Emma
is the wife of IMichael Hosan, of Dallastown,
this county; Cassandra, the wife of ]\Iilton Ar-
nold, died in York township, Aug. 7, 1900;
Adam, who married Susanna Horn, resides in
Windsor township, where he is engaged in
farming and in the manufacturing of cigars ;
and Sarah is the wife of John Garner, of York
township.



Benjamin F. Strickler recei\-ed his early
education in the common schools of York
county, continuing his attendance until he had
attained the age of eighteen years, and making
good use of the advantages thus afforded him.
He then entered upon an apprenticeship at the
trade of millwright, becoming a thonjughly
skilled artisan in the line, and continuing to
follow his trade as a vocation for nearlv a
score of years, though during the major portion
of this period he was engaged in business on
his own responsibility. As a boy he established
a machine shop in his father's wood house, and
he here manifested such distincti\-e mechanical
ability that his father showed his practical ap-
l^reciation by erecting and ecjuipping f(jr him a
good shop on the home farm, and there he
turned out a great deal of excellent work.
Later he erected for himself a larger shop, with
better facilities, the same having been located
a short distance west of his present plant, and
there he carried on business for nine years,
within which time the enterprise had grown to
such scope and importance as to render it ex-
pedient for him again to increase his facilities.
He accordingly sold the shop last mentioned,
and purchased of Peter Williams a tract of
fifteen acres of land, with a good water power,
upon which he erected his fine plant, the build-
ing being 56 x 45 feet in dimensions and three
stories in height. In the manufacture of the
various products of the factory he gives em-
ployment to a corps of ten skilled mechanics,
and the superior excellence of the patent ma-
chines and devices turned out has gained to
the concern a trade that extends into the most
diverse sections of the Union.

It is consistent that special reference be
maile to the "Success" tobacco-scrap machine,
which was in-\'ented and patented by ]\Ir.
Strickler, and which is a great improvement
on all other devices utilized for the handling of
scrap tobacco, being economical in operation,
and turning out the best class of work with
maximmn facility and expedition. For a full
decade ^Ir. Strickler worked to perfect this
machine and secure his letters patent, and on
]\Iarch 5, 1901, he received his patent. The
machine is manufactured in various sizes, for
operation by steam or hand power, and it has
met with the highest indorsement wherever it
has been introduced among the manufacturers
of cigars, being used in the largest and niost im-
portant factories in the Union and in Canada.
Mr. Strickler also manufactures cigar mold-



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



presses and various other supplies and special-
ties demanded by the manufacturers of cigars
and other tobacco products. The plant includes
a well-equipped foundry, which has recently
been enlarged, and general machine shop, and
the equipment throughout is of the most mod-
ern and improved type. There is also a saw
mill and a grist mill on the property which are
being conducted in connection with the manu-
facture of the specialties already mentioned.
Mr. Strickled' has traveled extensively through
many States in the interest of his machines,
and has always been successful in introducing
them — their general excellence being quickly
seen — on the demonstration of their practica-
bility.

Mr. Strickler is a man of marked business
acumen and of progressive ideas, and he has
not confined his ambition to the furtherance of
mere personal ends, but has taken a marked in-
terest in all that has tended to conserve the
general welfare of the community, giving his
aid and influence in support of all worthy meas-
ures and enterprises. In politics he accords an
uncjualified allegiance to the Democratic party,
and while never a seeker of official preferment
he has been called upon to serve in various
township offices, including those of assessor
and inspector of elections, while in 1886 he was
appointed postmaster of Benroy (a town which
he himself founded), an incumbency which he
has ever since retained, under both Republican
and Democratic administrations. In 1889 he
Avas a candidate for the office of jury commis-
sioner, and later was again urged to ac-
cept nomination for this office, but refused
to consider the overtures. Since 1886 our sub-
ject has acted as station agent for the Mary-
land & Pennsylvania Railroad at Benroy. He
is not identified with any religious denomina-
tion.

On Oct. 6. 1869, was solemnized the mar-
riage of Mr. Strickler to Miss Sarah Garner,
who was born and reared in York township,
daughter of Solomon and Catherine . (Holt-
zinger) Garner, and of the children of this
union we enter the following brief record : Dal-
las F. married Miss Fannie Forry, and he is
employed in connection with his father's busi-
ness; Mary and Rachel are twins, the former
being the wife of Nathan Herljest, of Windsor
township, and the latter the wife of John Hilde-
brand, of York township: Oscar Peter married
Miss L'illie Heindle and resides in Windsor



township; E. ]M. is deceased; and Ezra D.,
Charles E., John H. and Anna May remain at
the parental home, the family being prominent
in the social life of the community, and the
pleasant home being a center of gracious hos-
pitality.

WILLIAM HENRY RAAB, ex-post-
master of Dallastown and a prominent business
man, is himself an American, but comes of
German-French ancestry. He was born in
York township. April 15, 1853, to Aaron and
Mary (Blouse) Raab.

Mr. Raab worked on his father's farm until
he was twenty-one, attending school during
that time for two months out of each year. In
1874 he located at Dallastown and engaged in
business for himself as a cigar manufacturer,
in which line he has since remained. In these
thirty years his trade has steadily increased
until he now employs over 100 people and has
a business that is highly remunerative. He
was one of the incoqDorators of the First
National Bank of Dallas, and is at present a
director. In politics Mr. Raab is an active
Republican and has filled a number of local
offices, his service as postmaster covering four
full terms. He has been for many years a
trustee of Emanuel Church (United Brethren)
and fraternally belongs to the Independent
Sons of America and P. O. S. of A.

In 1873 Mr. Raab was married to Miss
Mary Ann Olp, who is a member of one of
the oldest families in York township. To
them five children have been born, namely :
Iva, wife of Charles F. Heizler, D. D. S., of
Dallastown ; Sterling F. ; Harry M. ; Wilmot
and Spurgeon G.

JACOB A. SECHRIST (deceased).
Among the well known and highly respected
citizens of York borough, York county, was
Jacob A. Sechrist, whose death occurred at his
home No. 306 South Queen street, May 17,
1 90 1. He was born Dec. i, 1822, son of John
and Elizabeth (Grove) Sechrist. John Se-
christ was a tanner by trade, and died while
living with his son, Jacob A., with whom he
had been residing for eighteen years. The
birthplace of Jacob A. Sechrist is not known,
but it is recorded that during a portion of his
boyhood he lived with a Mr. Hengst in Spring-
field township. He then married Mary Snyder,
of that township, and the couple moved to



BIOGRAPHICAL



563



Baltimore, Md., where the husband clerked in
a store, afterward locating at his wife's home
in Loganx'ille, where he kept a general store.
There Mrs. Sechrist died, leaving three chil-
dren ; Charles F. ; Emma, Mrs. Ben Frick, of
York city; and Mary (now deceased), Mrs.
Justus Frisby, of Indianapolis, Indiana.

In 1858 Mr. Sechrist married Mrs. William
Grove, who before her first marriage had been
Elenora Caslow. About two years after his
second marriage Mr. Sechrist removed to
York, where he engaged in a general merchan-
dise business at George and Princess streets,
continuing at that locality for many years, and
retiring from active business, in 1888, on ac-
count of the death of his wife's mother. Mr.
and Mrs. Sechrist then cared for Mr. Caslow
at his home, corner of Queen and College ave-
nue, living there until the time of his death.
After his demise ^Mr. Sechrist located in a res-
idence on ]\Iain street, in July, 1896, moving
to the home where Mrs. Sechrist now resides,
at No. 306 South Queen street, where he died.
Mr. and Mrs. Sechrist were members of the
King Street Evangelical Church, in which he
was a class leader for forty years. Originally
Mr. Sechrist was a Republican, but in his latter
days was a strong Prohibitionist. To him and
his wife these children were born : Harry
Caslow, of York, who married Mary Lentz;
and Lena, who died in infancy.

Mrs. Sechrist is a daughter of Henry and
Helen (Houseman) Caslow and was born in
1834, near Livingston, York county. She was
reared at Springwood, coming with her father
to York, where the latter kept the "Seven Star
Hotel" on South George street. Later Mr.
Caslow kept a grocery store on the corner of
College avenue and South Queen street, where
he died about 1890, aged eighty years. Mrs.
Sechrist first attended subscription schools, and
as a girl learned to spin and knit. Her first
marriage was to William Grove,- who was killed
in a runaway accident, at a point just beyond
the old reservoir, only a few months after mar-
riage. Mrs. Sechrist's grandfather was John
Caslow, who died near Dallastown, leaving a
widow. Miary ( Flinchbaugh). The maternal
grandfather of Mrs. Sechrist. Christian
Houseman, was born in Germany and came
to America . at the commencement of the
Revolutionary war, enlisting in the patriot
army and serving until its close, when he re-
ceived an honorable discharge. He passed



through man}^ hardships, and, upon one occa-
sion, as he could not eat the army bread which
had been baked with lime water, he made a
trap with which he caught mice and, wrenching
off their heads, drank their blood. Mr. House-
man was the owner of a farm near Freysville,
York county, and had come to America with a
family, to one of the daughters of which, Bar-
bara Harshimer, he had been engaged before
the war, and whom he married after the close
of hostilities.

Mr. Sechrist was a very prominent man in
the affairs of York, being one of the original
promoters of the Farmers National Bank and
a charter stockholder, as well as one of the pro-
jectors of the old York city market ; also a
trustee of the orphans' home from its incep-
tion until his death, doing much to advance its
interests. Mr. Sechrist was widely esteemed
for his charitable traits, and was known as the
father of the King Street Evangelical Church.

EMANUEL STONER (or as the name
was formerly spelled, Steiner) belongs to a
family whose members have resided for gen-
erations in Hellam township.

The Stoner family originated in Switzer-
land ; they were of the Mennonite faith and
fled from religious persecution. Christian
Stoner. great-grandfather of Emanuel, born
June 28, 1733, was brought to America by
his parents when he was four years old, the
family settling on what is now the pike in Hel-
lam township; he died June 28, 1786. and is
buried on the farm now owned by his great-
grandson, Emanuel. He was a prominent
citizen and held many township offices, in-
cluding that of tax collector. His family com-
prised the following children : Catherine, born
Jan. 20, 1759; Christian, grandfather of
Emanuel, born Feb. 9, 1762; Elizabeth, born
No\'. 6, 1764, who died in childhood: John,
born Oct. 13, 1766. who died in childhood;
Robert, born Jan. 6, 1769, who settled in
Westmoreland county. Pa. ; and Susan, born
Jan. 15, 1771, who died in childhood.

Christian Stoner (2), grandfather of
Emanuel, was born in the old stone house on
the pike, on the land settled by his forefathers.
He inherited the place, which was one mile
square, the pike being cut through it in 1803.
The old house has many historic associations.
During the Revolutionary war a company of
soldiers on their wav to join \\'ashington at



564



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



A'alle}- Forge stopped there and bought feed
of Great-grandfather Cliristian. The receipt
given is preserved in the Historical rooms at
York. The old house was always hospitable,
and once sheltered a number of congressmen
on their way from Philadelphia to York. Mr.
Stoner married a Miss HeiT, daughter of
John Herr, a large land-owner and farmer
of Hellam township. He was the owner of
the present Ebert farm, on the pike, one and
a half miles west of Wrightsville. Christian
Stoner (2) was a prominent man in his part
of the country, and much in demand as ad-



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 107 of 201)