Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 108 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 108 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ministrator and executor in the settling of es-
tates, tie owned 225 acres of farm land, and
a large tract of wood land on the mountain,
and died on his homestead Sept. 16, 1833,
firm in the faith and communion of the Men-
nonite Church. His children were as follows :
(i) John, born July 23, 1790, married a Miss
Strickler, daughter of John Strickler, and sis-
ter of the John Strickler who is still living
,at the age of ninety-two, near Sprenkle's mill
in Hellam township. John Stoner died on his
farm adjoining the homestead in 1824. (2)
Anna, born Jan. 5, 1792, married Samuel
Newcomer, and lived in Mechanicsburg, Cum-
berland county, where she died. (3) Maria,
born Oct. 9, 1793, married Daniel Dietz, and
lived and died in Cumberland county. (4)
Miss Elizabeth, born Jan. 23, 1796, died in her
native township at the age of ninety-four.
(5) Miss Lydia, born Jan. 9, 1798, died on the
old homestead in Y'ork county. (6) Susan, boni
Oct. 8, 1799, married James Kerr, a school
teacher of Hellam township. This was a run-
away match, as the parents opposed the mar-
riage. Mrs. Kerr died in Wrightsville. (7)
Henry, born Dec. 18, 1800, became the father
of Emanuel, of this sketch. (8) Joseph, born
Sept. 5, 1802, married Barbara Sprenkle, of
West Manchester township; he was a
farmer in Hellam township, and is buried in
the family graveyard on the farm of Eman-
uel Stoner. (9) Christian, born June 16,
1804, married a lady from Lancaster county,
and died a year after his marriage. (10) Ja-
cob, born Jan. 23, 1806, died at home, unmar-
ried. (11) Catherine, born Feb. 2, 1808, mar-
ried Peter Sprenkle, and lived and died in
West JManchester township. (12) Sarah,
born March 2, 181 1, married Jacob Strickler,
of Hellam township, where she died. (13)
David, born Nov. 8, 1814, married Susan,



daughter of John Strickler ; he was a well-
to-do farmer, and a Dunkard preacher, and
died on his farm two miles west of the old
home.

Henry Stoner, father of Emanuel, was
educated partly in the neighborhood subscrip-
tion school, and partly at home by a teacher
employed by his father. He was reared to
farm work, and was always industrious and
ready to adopt new and impro%'ed methods.
He inherited a portion of his father's land,
and on the death of his brother Jacob bought
the remaining interests of the heirs. He mar-
ried Anna, daughter of Jacob Strickler, a
blacksmith at Stonj' Brook — also a Dunkard
preacher and in later life, a farmer. Mr.
Stoner was brought up in the Mennonite
faith, but some time after his marriage he
and his wife joined the Dunkard Church, with
which they were connected the balance of their
lives. Mr. Stoner never took an acti\"e in-
terest in politics. He died on his farm ]\Iarch
22, 1872, his wife having passed away Sept.
29, 1869. They had the following children:
(i) Miss Mary died unmarried Oct. 12, 1859,
aged thirty-two j^ears, seven months and six-
teen days. (2) Sarah married David Detwiler,
and died at Wrightsville, Dec. 13, 1901, aged
seventy-two years, ten months and seven days ;
she was the mother of D. S. Detwiler, who is
mentioned elsewhere. (3) Henry, born Nov.
28, 1830, a farmer, married Sarah Fahringer,
and lives at the old homestead. (4) Samuel died
Feb. 15, 1858, unmarried, aged twenty-five
years, two months and four days. (5) Jacob,
died Jan. 11, 1853, at the age of eighteen.
(6) Anna, married John Strickler, and died
March 27, 1883, aged fort3'-six years, six
months and twenty days. (7) John, unmar-
ried, died Dec. 21, 1884, aged forty-six years,
four months and fourteen days. (8) Eliza,
married George Dietz, and died in Hellam
township, June 24, 1896, aged fifty-six years
and seven months. (9) Rudolph, born May
10, 1841, married Fanny Forry, of Hellam
township, and now lives in York. (10)
Emanuel is mentioned below.

Emanuel Stoner was born June 21,, 1S43,
on the family homestead, and as a boy at-
tended the neighboring public schools during
four months of each year. His first teacher
was Alexander Blessing, and his last school
days were passed with Senator Harvey
Haines. He also attended the Millersville



BIOGRAPHICAL



565



Normal school for a short time, and taught at'
inter\-als. His entire life has been spent in
farming", with the exception of seven months
when he was employed as a clerk in the store
of Alexander Blessing. As a young man he
was not strong, and was obliged to leave the
normal school on account of his health.
Thinking the heavy farm work would be too
hard he entered a store, but his duties proved
too confining, and he returned to an out-of-
door life. He lived on in the old home where
he was born, and, after his father's death, re-
cei\-ed as his share of the estate, 114 acres
which he has since successfully cultivated.
The house in which j\Ir. Stoner resides and in
which his father lived before him, was built
in 181 5 by his grandfather opposite the orig-
inal mansion. In those days a distillery was
an essential adjunct to every farm, and one
was operated by his grandfather. When this
home was being" built the last bottle of whiskey
from the still was handed out to the masons,
which, after emptying, they imbedded in the
masonr}-, neck out, where it may been seen
today.

jNIr. Stoner cast his first vote for Gen.
McClellan in 1864, but later joined the Repub-
licans and voted for Grant. On national is-
sues he has ever since voted the Republican
ticket, but in State and local affairs reserves
the right to use his own judgment as to the
best men for office. He has served a number
of terms as township auditor. In the Repub-
lican convention held at York in the fall of
1904, ^Ir. Stoner was nominated for director
of the poor, and at the election held in No-
vember he was elected to that office for a term
of three years. Mr. Stoner was brought up
in the Dunkard faith, but is not a member
of any church. He has never married. He
is a man of progressive ideas, who takes an
intelligent interest in public affairs.

ADA^I R. \MT^IYER, a prominent cit-
izen of Fairview township, York county, who
is serving his second term as assessor, has
lived retired in Newmarket since 1897. Mr.
Witmyer Avas bom Nov. 9, 1835, in West
jManchester township, son of John Witmyer.
John Witmyer, his grandfather, died before
the birth of Adam R., and little is known of
him save that he was a farmer of West Man-
chester township and had the following chil-
dren : Jacob, Simeon, Daniel, John, Mrs.



Stouch and Airs. Evans, all of whom are de-
ceased.

John \\'itmyer, the father, was born July
20, 1803, in West Manchester township,
where he was a farmer and day laborer. He
died in York, April 5, 1876. and is buried in
Prospect Hill cemetery. He married Barbara
Rupert, born Oct. 7, 1804, who died Aug. 9,
1894, and is buried beside her husband.
Mr. \\'itmyer was a Democrat, and a
faithful and active member of the Lutheran
Church of York. The children born to John
and Barbara Witmyer were as follows : Annie,
born July 26, 1826, died at Baltimore; Eliza,
born Aug. 25, 1827, is living in Dover town-
ship, the wife of William Sweitzer, Elizabeth,
born Nov. 17, 1828, married Jacob Kiing, and
died April 2, 1904; Israel, born June 7, 1830,
died in Lancaster county, near Mount Joy,
(he served in the 17th Ohio Batter)-) ; Car-
oline, born March 5, 1832, married David
Hoke, now "deceased, and lives in Baltimore;
John, born Nov. 6, 1833, is living in Colum-
bia, Lancaster county ; Adam R., whose sketch
follows; Frederick, born April 30, 1837, was
a member of the 87th Reg. P. V. I., and is
now deceased; Jacob A., born Feb. 3, 1839,
lives in York; Barbara, born Oct. 14, 1840,
died young; Daniel M., boi"n March 21, 1842,
was a soldier in the Civil war, and lives in
York; Edward F., born Aug. 5, 1841 ; Samuel
L., born in November, 1842, was burned to
death in an accident; William H., born !May
10, 1847; and Emanuel, who died young.

Adam R. Witmyer spent his school days
in West Alanchester township, and attended
school in Lancaster county for one term, after
which he learned the miller's trade, which he
followed near Mount Joy. He then located in
Clark county, Ohio, where he remained from
1857 to 1862, and then enlisted in Company
A, 94th Ohio V. I., for service in the Lnion
army. He participated in the battles of Per-
ry ville (Ky.), Stone River (Tenn.), Chick-
amauga, Mission Ridge, Lookout ^Mountain,
Resaca and Peach Tree Creek, and in the
mo\'ements to Atlanta and Savannah, and
thence to South Carolina. At Bentonville, N.
C, he was wounded in the left shoulder, after
Avhich he was sent to New York and to Den-
nison hospital in Ohio, where he was mustered
out. May 24, 1865, by general orders.

After the war ]NIr. ^A'itmyer settled in
Spring-field, O., and thence again located in



S'ob



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Lancaster county. Pa., in 1866, during which
year he married Annie Brenneman, a daugh-
ter of Henry and Mary (Miller) Brenneman.
After his marriage he went to Indiana, where
he remained one year, again returning to Lan-
caster county and locating in Conoy township,
where for six years he followed farming and
milling. In 1873 Mr. Witmyer located in
Y^ork county and bought a farm in Fair\-ie\\'
township, which was located near Marsh Run
and consisted of forty-four acres. Part of this
tract he sold to the Pennsylvania Railroad, and
he is now the owner of thirty-eight acres of
farm land and thirtj'-six acres of timber. Mr.
Witmyer located in Newmarket in 1897, since
which time he has lived retired. He is a
stanch Republican, has served as school direc-
tor, is now in his second term as assessor of
Fairview township, and while a resident of
New Cumberland was supervisor. In his
younger days ]\Ir. Witmyer w-as a Lutheran,
but later joined the LTnited Brethren Church,
in whose work he is very active. He was
superintendent of the Sunday school for four
years. He is a member of B. F. Eisenberger
Post No.- 462, G. A. R., and of the Springfield
(O.) Lodge No. 23- I- O. O. F. Mr. Wit-
myer is an honest, upright man, and is well
liked and highly respected in the commitnit)^.

To Adam R. Witmyer and his wife the
following children have been born: John A.,
born Sept. 29, 1867, is ticket agent at New
Cumberland, and married Margaret Diehl;
William G., born March i, 1869, married
Annie Melcheor, and is a railroad man living
at Harrisburg; Harry F., born April 21, 1871,
married Caroline Hess, and is living at York,
where he follows railroading, and Mary Ann
Barbara, bom Feb. 27, 1877, married Harry
Bixler, and lives in New Cumberland.

Mrs. Witmyer's great-grandfather, John
Miller, was a native of Germany, who settled
early in Strasburg, where he was a carpen-
ter, and was killed by Indians who had con-
cealed themselves in his barn. His son, John
Miller, died in September, 1874, aged ninety-
eight years, and his wife Betsey (Cramer)
Miller, passed away in 1876, at the age of
ninety-seven years. The latter couple lived
at Lancaster Junction, where he worked as a
carpenter and builder until he had acquired
sufficient means to purchase a farm. In farm-
ing he was very successful, and at the marriage
of his children presented each $1,000.



He and his worthy wife were devoted mem-
bers of the ]Mennonite Church. They were the
parents of these children : John, born April
27, 1805; Joseph, died in Manheim; Sallie,
who married Ulrich Strickler, and died in
Salunga; Mary, Mrs. Witmyer's mother, born
April 16, 1 81 7, who married on Sept. 28,
1858, Henry Wittmer, who was born Sept.
II, 1819 (Mrs. Wittmer is now living with
her daughter, Mrs. Witmyer, at New Mar-
ket) ; Hattie, the widow of Joseph Sowder;
Jacob, a retired fanner of Manheim ; Eliza-
beth, born May 27, 1825, the widow of Dan-
iel M. Grove.

ALENANDER DIEHL, proprietor of
the Diehl Candy Company, of York, is a rep-
resentative of the fifth generation of the fam-
ily in York county, a fact which indicates that
the name has been linked with the history of
this section of the old Keystone State ever
since the pioneer era.

Adam Diehl, his grandfather, was of Ger-
man extraction, and was a successful and
highly honored farmer of Shrewsbury town-
ship, where he passed his entire life. There
his son Adam followed in his footsteps in a
business way. Both were born in the old
ancestral homestead. Adam Diehl, father of
Alexander, was a man of marked energy and
ability and of noble attributes of character, so
that it was his fortune to hold the uncjualified
confidence and esteem of the people of the
community in which his entire life was passed.
He was an influential farmer of his native
township, where he died in 1898, at the age of
seventy-six years. In his early manhood he
wedded Miss Annie Tyson, who was likewise
born and reared in York county, daughter of
Benjamin Tyson, a well known farmer of
Springfield township. She resided in Shrews-
bury township at the time of her death in
1885. The record of the eight children of this
union is as follows: Emeline died in infancy;
Isabelle is the wife of Noah Brillhart, a farmer
of North Hopewell township; Agnes lives at
Glen Rock, York county ; Harrison has charge
of the old home farm; Emma is the wife of
James Grove, a prosperous manufacturer at
Glen Rock ; Adam is engaged in general mer-
chandising at Hametown, York county, and
Ezra is in his brother's employ ; Alexander
is mentioned below.

Alexander Diehl was born on the old



BIOGRAPHICAL



56/



liomestead in Shrewsbury township, Nov. 2t„
1864, and his boyhood days were varied in the
usual way, Ijy work on the farm, a due c|uota
of recreation and by attendance at the puljhc
schools of tlie locality. He continued his
schooling until he was seventeen years of age,
and thereafter was associated with the work
and management of the home farm until he
had attained the age of twenty-four years.
He then located in the village of Jacobus, York
county, where for the ensuing three years he
conducted a general store, and in 1891 re-
moved to the city of York and established a
flourishing enterprise in the manufacturing
and jobbing of candy, the business being con-
ducted under the title of the Acme Candy
Company. In the spring of 1898' J^Ir. Diehl
took possession of his present line quarters, at
No. 26 North George street, where he has
continued to be successfully engaged in the
wholesale and retail confectionery business,
having abandoned the manufacturing depart-
ment at the time of removal. He controls a
large trade, and is known as a progressive and
reliable business man and a loyal citizen. In
politics he is a stanch Republican and both he
and his wife are devoted members of St.
Luke's Lutheran Church, in which he has
served as deacon since 1896. In a fraternal
way he is affiliated with the local organization
of the Improved Order of Heptasophs.

On Dec. 14. 1889. ^Ir. Diehl wedded Miss
Emma Beck, daughter of John F. Beck, a well
known farmer of Springfield township, and
of this union have been born four children,
namely: Grace E., a member of the class of
1906 in the York high school; Nona E., and
Ruth M., who are pupils in the public schools ;
and Miriam.

LEVI BAKER, whose home has laeen in
York countv ever since his birth, resides in
Windsor township on the farm where he was
born, July 10, 1843.

Peter Baker, his father, was born in Ger-
many, near Berlin, where he was reared and
educated, receiving the ordinary education
given to e\-ery German boy. After leaving
school he learned distilling, and made that his
occupation as long- as he remained in Ger-
many. He married Margaret ^Miller, a native
of the same locality, and a young lady finely
educated. One child born to them there died.
In 1836 they embarked on the sailing vessel



"Felix," from Bremen for Baltimore, buv
were ninety days on the voyage, as the ship
was delayecl by striking a rock soon after leav-
ing Bremen. After landing, Mr. Baker and
his wife came directly to York, and thence
mo\'ed to Windsor township, where he rented^
a small home and began life in America as a.
day laborer. Before long he was able to buy
a tract of five acres, which he cultivated in
addition to continuing his work for other
farmers. He was industrious and saving and
later purchased twenty-live acres adjoining
his first piece, where he farmed on his own
account until 1870. In that year he sold the
farm and moved to Lancaster city, where he
passed the remainder of his life employed in-
gardening. He died in 1891, aged eight3'-four,
\\hile his wife had passed away many years
before, in 1873, at the age of fifty-nine. They
were Lutherans in religious faith, and ilr,.
Baker was a Democrat in politics. The chil-
dren born to them in America were as follows :
Da^'id, a market master at York, married to
Mary Reichley; Peter, a farmer in ^^'indsor
township, who married (first) Susanna Emen-
heiser, and (second) Mrs. Amanda (DiHinger>
Herr; Margaret, who married (first) Joshua
Oberdorf, and (second) Benjamin Craley:
Levi ; Henry, of Lower Windsor township, who
married JMary Ann Klinestiver ; Angeline, ^Irs.
John Chillas, of the same township ; JNIatilda,
wdio died unmarried ; and Reuben, deceased
in infancy.

Le\'i Baker attended the home schools until
he was sixteen, but for two years before finally
leaving he had been hired out most of the year
to farmers. He worked first for John Irvin,
wdio paid him from $4 to $4.50 a month, and by'
the time he was eighteen he was earning $15
monthly. At that age he began working for
the Northern Central Railroad, as a brakeman,,
running between Holmesburg and Baltimore,
and continued at that employment fi^r two
years, earning finally $45 per month. lie gave
up railroading, however, learned to mold bricks,
and was so employed for two years in York and
then in Chanceford townships; the bricks for
St. Luke's Lutheran Church in Chanceford
township were molded by him. At the end of
that period Mr. Baker decided to return to
farming, and buying- his father's homestead.
he has since been engaged in cultivating that
and in milling-. In 1900 he bought a .small
place of eight acres, which he rents. He is a



S68



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



wide awake practical fanner, ami lias been
successful in all his undertakings.

In 1874, in Chanceford towTiship, Mr.
Baker was married to Annie Schoff. daughter
of Frederick and Eva (Arnold) Schoff. Mrs.
Baker died in 1875, leaving one daughter,
Emma, now Mrs. William Emenheiser, of
Windsor township. Mr. Baker's second wife
was Ellen McKenzie, daughter of Thomas
and Margaret (Butcher) McKenzie. The only
child of this marriage was Bertie Clinton, born
Feb. 9, 1887, who has been educated in the
township schools and is living at home. Mr.
Baker has always been an ardent Democrat,
but has never held public office. He was
reared in the faith of the Lutheran Church.

D. FRANK KALTREIDER, a successful
young business man of Red Lion, York county,
who is extensively engaged in the manufacture
of cigars, was born Oct. 19, 1878, in Red
Lion.

Mr. Kaltreider received his education in the
public schools of Freysville, finishing his school-
ing at the age of twelve years, one year after
his father had returned to Red Lion. He made
his first money by raising and selling pigeons
in his boyhood, and later worked with his
father in various capacities, packing cigars,
driving a team and working in his father's liv-
ery stable. At the age of twenty years he
started out in life for himself, packing cigars
for Daniel Spangler, and by September, 1900,
he had saved enough to start in the cigar manu-
facturing- business for himself. He bought a
factory from his brother Daniel C, by whom it
Avas built in 1899, and there he remained from
the time he began business, in 1900, until 1905,
when he converted it into a dwelling house
and moved it from Charles street to Broad-
way; it is one of the finest in Red Lion. He
is now erecting a three-story brick building,
with basement, 66 x 40 feet, and equipping it
with all modern improvements, including elec-
tric light. Mr. Kaltreider employs thirty-four
hands, and has, l^esides, the control of six other
factories, doing a large business both as a man-
ufacturer and as a dealer in leaf tobacco. He
is an excellent example of the self-made man,
having started at the tottom, with practically
nothing, for he has earned all he now owns
by his own exertions, and merely by the force
of his own industry has advanced himself to
his present sound condition. He is the owner



of two fine driving horses which promise to be
very fast, and was formerly the owner of "Joe
K.," 2:2ij4, which he sold in 1905. All his
life he has been an enthusiastic lover of good
horseflesh. He is considered one of the sub-
stantial business men of the township, thor-
oughly competent in his business. The esti-
mated value of his real estate holdings in Red
Lion, \\diich include one of the finest homes in
that place, is at present $19,500.

In his religious connection Mr. Kaltreider
is a member of the U^nited Evangelical Church.
In politics he is a Democrat. He has served
in the borough council, first filling out the unex-
pired term of J- T. Gemmill, and in the spring
of 1900 he was elected to the council, of which
body he has served as president. He has been
a director of the Red Lion Band Association
for the past five years, and is a trustee of the
Red Lion Fire Company. Fraternally Mr.
Kaltreider is affiliated with the Knights of
Pythias, the Odd Fellows and the Red Men,
having been throug'h all the chairs in the latter
society..

Mr. Kaltreider was married in Red Lion,
April 27, I902, to Miss Vergie Idella Olewiler,
daughter of Rudolph and Amanda (Smith)
Olewiler, and two children have come to this
union: Janet Merriam.born June 26, 1903, and
Nolan Levi, born March 7, 1905.

EPHRAIM R. MILLER, for many years
a farmer at Smoketown, whose death occurred
in his later home in Goldsboro, was born in
Strinestown, Conewago township, in 1835.

Christian- Miller, father of Ephraim R.,
was for the greater part of his life engaged in
the hotel and mercantile business in Strines-
town, although in his later years he removed to
Smoketown. Newberry township, and devoted
himself to farming-. He was twice married,
first to a Miss Rinehart, and second to a Miss
Jacoby. The latter is also deceased, and both
are buried in Smoketown, where the remains
of Mr. Miller are likewise interred, his death
having occurred in 1895. There were two
sons : Eli, of Glen Rock, York county, who
married Malinda Sehriver; and Ephraim.

Ephraim R. Miller enjoyed a common-
school education and then assisted his father
in carrying on the farm. In i860 he married
and began farming on his own account in
Smoketown, but after four years vt)lunteered
for service in the army, and Feb. 17, 1865,




Jm< x^^^^^ - ^ A^oM^^i'^Ui^



BIOGRAPHICAL



569



enlisted in Company K, ig2d P. V. I. Plis
term of enlistment was one year but he did not
complete it, being mustered out Aug". 24, 1865.
During the five succeeding years he was an
in\'alid, almost helpless, and his wife had not
only the care of the husband, but the general
responsibihty. In 1890 Mr. Aliller removed
to Goldsboro, where he Hved in retirement until
his death, Feb. 28, 1904. His remains were
interred in the old Fetrow cemetery. Mr.
Miller was a well known citizen, one alwavs in-
terested in public matters- and during his few
years in Goldsboro, served on its council. He
was a Democrat in political faith. Greatly re-
spected by all who knew him, his death was
felt to be not only an irreparable loss to his
family, but one which affected the best interests
of his community.

The domestic life of Mr. Miller was a
happy one. His wife was Elizabeth Fetrow,
daughter of John and Lydia (Brubaker) Fet-
row. To their union the following children
were born : Ella, Mrs. Milton Mickey, resid-
ing at Smoketown ; Harry, of Newberry town-
ship, who married (first) Vera Pro well, and
after her death, her sister, Sadie Prowell ;
Lydia, Mrs. Charles Fisher, of Goldsboro ;
Sadie, ]\Irs. John Shuller, of the same town;
and Howard F., a dealer in confectionery and
cigars in Goldsboro, married to Mary, daugh-
ter of Henry \\'riter. Mrs. Miller, who is still
residing in Goldsboro, belongs to a family
prominent in Fairview township.

SAAIUEL LEHR, whose tragic death
both shocked and grieved the whole commun-
ity, was one of the best known citizens of
Conewago township, York •count}^ He was
born in 1838, in Manchester township, York



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 108 of 201)