George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 111 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 111 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

for many years and has ser\'ed on its official

The business house of Mr. Oermann is sit-
uated on the rear of No. 450 West Phila-
delphia street and from Nos. 446 to 472 Clark
alley. The work of the firm covers all kinds
of building and contracting, and a large force
of men is constant^ employed. Personally
Mr. Oermann is an honorable, upright man,
fair in all his dealings with others and well
represents the best class of business men in

the paternal mansion farm in Lower Windsor
township, just to the rear of the Canadochley
church, April 29, 1839, and there he was
reared to the age of eighteen, assisting in the
work of the farm and availing himself of the
educational opportunities offered in the lo-
calit}^ At the age of six years he became a
pupil in the Canadochley school, over which
Henry G. Kauffman presided over as in-
structor, and there he continued a pupil during
the winter terms until he reached the age of



eighteen years, his last teacher being David
Keller, who is now engaged in the coal business
in the city of York. At the age noted he
entered upon an apprenticeship at the black-
smith's trade, under the direction of Matthias
Reigart, of Stony Brook, with whom he i"e-
mained two years, after which he served an
equal period with Michael Beockle, near Hel-
1am. His father then erected for him a shop
on the home farm and he there began business
for himself in 1861, gaining a wide reputation
as a skillful and reliable workman and secur-
ing a large and representative patronage. He
continued operations there until 1884, and for
the ensuing seventeen years was engaged in
agricultural pursuits on the farm of his father-
in-law, in Lower Windsor township. He then,
in 1901, returned to the old home farm and re-
sumed his trade, in which he was actively en-
gaged up to a comparatively recent date, while,
for the accommodation of his old customers,
he still does considerable work in his shop. Mr.
Leber has throughout life devoted much time
to the reading of substantial literature, while
also keeping in touch with the cjuestions and
issues of the hour, and he is a man of broad
and exact information. He has been for many
years a constant reader of the Bible, and its
goodly precepts and lessons he has not failed
to teach' at the home fireside. When a youth
of sixteen years Mr. Leber became a member
of the Reformed Church, having been cate-
chised by Rev. Daniel Ziegler, of Canadochley
Church. In his boyhood he first attended
Sunday-school at Mai'garetta Furnace, one
and one-half miles distant from his home, but
when the Sunday-school was established at
the Canadochley Church, in the immediate
vicinity of the homestead, he joined that or-
ganization. He has ever since been identified
with the latter church, and for several years
has been a teacher in its Sunday-school. For
six years he was a deacon in the church, and
for the past ten years has served as elder,
taking an active and zealous interest in all de-
partments of the religious work, including its
collateral benevolences.

Mr. Leber is well fortified in his political
views and has been a stalwart supporter of the
Republican party ever since attaining his legal
majority, casting his first Presidential vote
for Abraham Lincoln, in i860. He has been
prominent and influential in local public af-
fairs and is recognized as a public-spirited and

loyal citizen. He served two terms as county
committeeman and twice as delegate, while he
has also been an incumbent of the offices of
election inspector and judge, assessor, township
clerk and school director, having held the last
mentioned position one term, and being at the
time of this writing in the midst of his fourth
term of service as township clerk. He was a
charter member of the Lower Windsor Mutual
Fire Insurance Company, of whose directorate
he has been a member since its organization,
while he has been president of this well-con-
ducted institution since 1891. In a fraternal
way Mr. Leber is affiliated with Winona
Lodge, No. 944, I. O. O. F., at East Prospect,
and is a past grand of that body.

In Lower Windsor township, on Nov. 27,
1862, was solemnized the marriage of Mr.
Leber to Welmina Leiphart, who was born
and reared in that township, daughter of John
and Catherine (Dellinger) Leiphart, the latter
of whom is deceased, while the former, one
of York county's oldest and most honored
pioneers, celebrated his ninety-third birthday
anniversary in October, 1905, Of the children
of Mr. and Mrs. Leber we have the following,
record : Anna, who became the wife of James
A. Fry, died in Lower Windsor township in
1897; Mary Jane is the wife of Clayton
Thomas, of the same township; Leah is the
wife of Jacob Forry, of Windsor township;
Lydia A. is the wife of Howard F. Crumling,
of Lower Windsor township ; Katy May is the
wife of Moses Dietz, of the same township ;
Maggie is the wife of John Hengst, of Hellam
township ; Samuel A. and John E. were twins,
the latter dying in infancy, while the former,
who married Laura Jacobs, is a successful
farmer of Hellam township; Caroline and
Emma Rebecca remain at the parental home.

Samuel Leber, father of Jacob H. Leber,
was born in what is now Lower Windsor
township, May 15, 1800, a son of Conrad and
Maria Leber. Conrad Leber'was likewise born
in the present township of Lower Windsor,
on Dec. 24, 1751, and this date would indi-
cate that the family was among the early set-
tlers in York county. This worthy pioneer,
who was a man of influence and affairs, died
Dec. 2, 1 814. He was a farmer by vocation
and owned what was known as Butcher's ore-
bank farm, comprising at least 200 acres and
located in Lower Windsor township as at pres-
ent constituted. His first wife, Margaret, was



born Aug. 13, 1758, and died Oct. 18, 1797.
His second wife, whose maiden name was
Maria Hammer, was born Dec. 4, 1773, and
died Dec. 4, 1821. All were laid to rest in, the
cemetery of the Canadochley Church, to which
they had been devotedly attached. Mr. Leber
had been a member of its building committee
when the original edifice was erected, in 1801.
The children of his first marriage were as fol-
lows : John, who was a wagonmaker by A'oca-
tion, died in York; Jacob died near the
present town of Ephrata, Lancaster Co.,
Pa., where he was engaged in the hotel
business for many years (his wife, Nancy,
was a daughter of Colonel Wright, who
rendered gallant service as a Colonial offi-
cer in the war of the Revolution) ; Eliza-
beth, the third child, married a Mr. Paules
and both died in Lancaster county ; Pefer, who
was thrice married, died at East Prospect, and
Conrad, who married twice, died in Lower
Windsor township. The children of the sec-
ond marriage were as follows : David, who
died in Windsor township; and Samuel, father
of Jacob H. Philip and Jacob Leber, brothers
of Conrad, Sr., were soldiers in the Continental
line during the Revolution, being captured by
Hessian soldiers and held prisoners for some

Samuel Leber was a mere bo}- at the time
of his father's death, and inherited a consid-
erable patrimony, but this was dissipated by
his unfaithful guardian before he had attained
years of maturity, so that he was practically
compelled to become the architect of his own
fortunes. He was reared on a farm and re-
cei\-ed such educational advantages as were
afforded in the common schools of the place
and period. He became the owner of a good
farm of 120 acres, portions of which he sold
at various times, however, until his home-
stead comprised only thirty-five acres. When
he came into possession of the farm the dwell-
ing on the place was a log house of the primi-
tive type, and this he twice remodeled dur-
ing his life. This ancient dwelling is still
standing in an excellent state of preservation,
being more than one hundred years old and
now regarded as one of the landmarks of the
county. In politics Mr. Leber was originally
a Whig, but identified himself with the Re-
publican party at the time of its organization,
ever afterward remaining a stalwart advocate
of its principles. He held various local of-

fices, such as tax collector, township assessor
and auditor and member of the election board.
He was a devoted adherent to the German Re-
formed Church, and was a member of the com-
mittee which had charge of the building of the
second edifice, in 1867, while for many years
he was an elder and deacon in the church. He
was a man of spotless integrity and universally
commanded the highest respect. He died on
his old homestead Nov. 30, 1880.

On Aug. 6, 1 82 1, was solemnized the mar-
riage of Samuel Leber to Lydia Hetzel, who
was born in Lower Windsor township, Dec.

11, 1802. She was a Lutheran in her re-
ligious faith and was a woman of noble at-
tributes of character, being held in affectionate
regard by all who came within the sphere of
her kindly influence. She was summoned into
eternal rest May 15, 1869. Samuel and Lydia
Leber became the parents of the following
named children : Leah, who was born Jan. 7,

1823, died Oct. 6, 1840; Eliza, born Nov. 18,

1824, was married to John Keller May 9,
1844, and they reside in Holtz, York county;
Henry, born June 27, 1827, married, Nov. 8,
1844, Catherine Beaverson, and he died Feb.
4, 1863 ; Rebecca, born March 2, 1830, died
Jan. 3, 1905; Samuel, born Feb. 24, 1832, died
Nov. 30, 1863; David, born July 19, 1834,
was married, Oct. i, 1857, to Magdalena
Hengst, and he died on the old homestead,
in Lower Windsor township, in November,
1898; Susanna, born Dec. 29, 1836, died Oct.

12, 1840; Jacob H. was the next in order of
birth; Maria, born May 4, 1840, was married,
Nov. 2, 1865, to Philip Stine, and they reside
in Windsor township; George W., born July
4, 1843, married, Oct. 22, 1868, Henrietta
Reisinger, and they reside in Windsor town-
ship; Sarah, boi-n Nov. 8, 1846, died July 30,

spending his declining years in the peace and
comfort of a retired life upon his fine farm of
102 acres, located along the Harrisburg turn-
pike, was formerly engaged in agricultural
pursuits in Manchester township, where he
spent nearly his entire life. He was born in
]Manchester township, on the old homestead, in
1823, son of Charles and Sarah (Myers)
Lightner, and a grandson of George Lightner.

Nathaniel Lightner, the great-grandfather
of George, was of German origin, and was



bom in York county. He took up a tract ot
165 acres of fine land along the Harrisburg
turnpike, and was one of the earliest settlers
of that section of York county, where he died.

George Lightner, son of Nathaniel and
grandfather of our subject, was born in 1768,
in Manchester township, and bought the old
homestead which he farmed until his death.
He married a Miss Campbell, who died young.
Mr. Lightner's death occurred in 1830, and
they were both buried at the old George street
cemetery. The children born to George Light-
ner and wife were : Julia Ann, married John
Lehr, who died in Manchester township; An-
drew died at Harrisburg; Leah died single on
a part of the old homestead in Manchester
township ; Nehemiah died in Ohio ; George died
in York ; Mary died when an infant ; Charles is
mentioned below.

Charles Lightner was born in 1798, at the
old homestead, where throughout life he was
a farmer. In 1820 he married Sarah Myers,
daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth Myers.
Mrs. Lightner was born in 1800 in Manchester
township and died on the Lightner homestead
in Manchester township in 1846, aged forty-
six years, two months and five days. Charles
Lightner survived her until July 23, 1866,
and both he and his wife were interred at the
Prospect Llill cemetery on the family lot. Mr.
Lightner was a school director and a stanch
Republican. In religion the family were
valued members of the Lutheran Church. To
Charles and Sarah Lightnej- the following
children were born: Eliza married Heni-y
Leber, and died in York ; George ; Sarah died
on the old homestead, Sept. 30, 1851, aged
twenty-six years and seven days ; Samuel mar-
ried Malinda Herman, and died at the old
home; Charles married Annie Herman and
lives retired in North York, and Lucinda died
unmarried aged fifty-eight years.

George Lightner received a good education
in the subscription schools of his township,
and supplemented this with a course of study
at the York County Academy. He remained at
home on the farm and cultivated it for thirty
years, removing to West Manchester township
where he spent a number of years, and then
returned to the old home, built a beautiful
residence along the Manchester road, and re-
tired to enjoy the rewards of a wisely spent
life. He was very successful and now owns a
fine farm of 102 acres along the Harrisburg

turnpike and Manchester road, up to the bor-
ough of North York. Mr. Lightner is a man
of strict integrity and high sense of honor, and
has gained the confidence and respect of all
with whom he has had business dealings. He
takes a great interest in the growth and im-
provement of the community of which he has
so long been a resident, and during the time
he served his 'community as school director,
his public-spirited efforts were directed to the
upbuilding of the common schools. In politics
Mr. Lightner is a Republican and, although
never consenting to accept public office except
the school directorship, has always shown great
interest in the success of the party.

In 1852 George Lightner married Anna
Mary Ebert, the estimable daughter of Col.
Michael Ebert, of Spring Garden township,
York county. Her death occurred in 1857,
and came as a severe ■ blow to not only her
family, but her numerous acquaintances, who
knew her as an honest friend in time of need,
and a kind, charitable neighbor. The children
born to George Lightner and his most estima-
ble wife were: Samuel, who married Sarah
Kauffman, and died on the old homestead;
and Albert, who married Isabella Sprenkle,
and died in Manchester township. Both boys
were interred at the Prospect Hill cemetery.


JACOB H. HUBER, a large land owner,
who died in 1876, was born in Wrightsville,
York county, in 1845, son of Jacob, a success-
ful farmer and extensive land owner in Hellam

The common schools afforded Jacob H.
Huber his literary education, supplemented by
a course in the old York County Academy,
and his father's farm gave him practical train-
ing along agricultural lines. He devoted his
time and attention to the careful superintend-
ence of his farms in Hellam township, although
his home was in a fine residence which he
had erected at No. 200 East Market street.
There his death occurred, and his remains rest
in Prospect Hill cemetery.

Mr. Hubeir married Susan Lochman,
daughter of the Rev. Augustus H. Lochman,
D. D., a Lutheran clergyman, who preached
in Christ church for forty-six years. One
daughter, Annie L., lived to bless this union,
and two children died in infancy. Mr. Huber
was a member of the First Presbyterian Church :
at York, and actively participated in its work,



being the youngest man who ever held the hon-
ored office of deacon in that parish. At the
time of his death he was trustee of York Col-
legiate Institute. Mrs. Huber and Miss Anna
L. reside in the family home and are highly
respected by all. '

Rev. Augustus H. Lochman, D. D.,
father of Mrs. Huber, was born Oct. 5, 1802,
in the parsonage of Salem Church, Lebanon,
Pa., being the son of Dr. George Lochman, its
pastor, and Susanna (Hoffman) Lochman. In
181 5 his father moved to Harrisburg, Pa.,
when the son entered the academy there. In
1822 he became a Junior at the University of
Pennsylvania, from which he was graduated
in July, 1823. He then studied theology with
his father, and on Jtme 16, 1824, was licensed
to preach. In 1825 he became pastor of a
charge in Cumberland county. In July of that
year he was married to Anna Maria Parten-
heimer, of Philadelphia, and they took up their
residence in Mechanicsburg, then a village of a
dozen houses. In 1826, upon the death of his
father, he became his successor at Harrisburg.
In April, 1836, he was called to York, where
he remained as pastor until his resignation,
June 12, 1880. During his entire ministry he
was greatly beloved and eminently successful.

Dr. Lochman took an active part in all the
general movements of the Lutheran Church in
America; was a member of the first board of
trustees of Pennsylvania College and a trustee
of Franklin College ; was for a long period one
of the board of directors of the seminary, and
for many years its president, and was president
of the synod of Pennsylvania, as well as of the
general synod. The honorary degree of D. D.
was conferred upon him in 1856, by Pennsyl-
vania College. He made a number of valuable
translations from the German. He retired from
the active pastorate, full of years and labors,
after faithfully and ably serving this church
for nearly half a century. It is recorded that
during the first year of his service, the Second
Lutheran Church of York (St. Paul's) was
formed. In September, 1841, the old town
clock was placed on the steeple by the county
commissioners. In 1850 Zion Lutheran Con-
gregation was foi-med. On Oct. 31, 1867, the
jubilee of the Reformation was celebrated with
much enthusiasm by the churches in York, in
the afternoon all the Lutheran Sunday-school
children of the city, "1,500 in number, assem-
hVmg in this church. In 1874 the building was

JAMES McCLURE, of Fawn township,,
residing near Muddy Creek Forks, is descended
from the McClure family of County Armagh,
Ireland, who were originally of Scotland, and
were distinguished there among those who re-
sisted religious and political persecution alike.
Thereby they suffered much for conscience's
sake and were compelled to flee to Ireland,
where they took up a tract of 200 acres and.
during the "piping times of peace," devoted
themselves to farming.

The paternal grandparents of James Mc-
Clure were William ancl Rachel McClure, and
their children were : James, Sr. ; John, of
County Monaghan, Ireland ; Jane, ]\Irs.
Thomas Maffet ; and Rebecca, i\Irs. Robert

James McClure, Sr., married Mary Jane
McComb, who lived to be ninety years old.
She was one of a large family, having eight
sisters besides the following brothers : John
and David, deceased; Thomas, who emigrated
to the United States ; William, \\'ho migrated
to Canada; and James, who died in Ireland.

James McClure was born in County Ar-
magh, Oct. 17, 1 841, and at the age of sixteen
left his Irish home and went to England, where
he entered the employ of a Scotch farmer in
Cheshire, within two miles of the city of Bar-
ton Head; there he worked for two years, and
at the end of that time his employer gave him
letters of recommendation to a Scottish gen-
tleman of Oxen Hi n'ith whom he engaged
as under-steward •■ ''or nine months filled
that position at a s.dar}- of three shillings per
day. He then took the position of head-
steward at a daily remuneration of four shill-
ings, which was subsequently increased to five,
owing to his cpalifications for the position.
In March, 1869, James McClure sailed on the
vessel "Henry Clay" to the land of the Setting
Sun and after a voyage of five weeks landed
in New York, where in a short time he secured
employment with Mrs. Skomakei" in Long
Island. There he remained three months and
then journeyed to the home of his brother
Thomas, in Chanceford, who had emigrated
to the United States seven years previously.
He worked upon various farms near Muddy
Creek Forks for about nine months, and bought
a tract of thirty-nine acres one and a half miles
west of that place. The tract was then a for-
est, but, with true Irish perseverance, young
McClure erected a house and other buildings
and in a few years acquired by purchase addi-



tional property, which increased his holdings
to 130 acres, on which he now resides and
which is one of the best tihed farms in a sec-
tion noted for its prohfic agricultural properties.

On Dec. 31, 1869, James McClure mar-
ried Mary Jane, daughter of Robert and Jane
(]\IcKee) Taylor, of Chanceford. To them
the fcllowing- children were born : Cassie,
wife of Charles Morrow, of Iowa; Elizabeth
(deceased), who married John Adams; Rachel
(deceased), who married Elsworth High, of
Philadelphia; Sarah, wife of Thomas Mc-
Comb, a native of Ireland, who now resides
upon the State farm in Media, Delaware
county, Pa.; Henry W., of Kansas; Andrew,
at home; Margaret, wife of John Arnold, of
Chanceford; and William J. McClure, who
married and resides in Chanceford. Mrs.
Mary Jane (Taylor) McClure had the follow-
ing brothers and sisters : James, of Maryland ;
William, deceased ; Robert, of Iowa ; John, of
Chanceford; Letetia, deceased ;and Agnes, who
married John McClure, brother of James. Da-
vid McClure, a brother of James, served in
the English army and is supposed to have died
or been killed in the service of the Crown.

In 1900 James McClure bought the Grove
property adjoining his farm and increased his
holdings to 400 acres. For many years he has
bought and sold stock, tobacco, phosphate and
other agricultural commodities, and in all his
dealings has been the soul of honor. He has
also long had dealings in that well known
financial institution the First National Bank
of York, as well as in the Farmers' National
Bank of the same city. Mr. McClure is highly
esteemed by all who know his .sterling worth,
and inherits, in a marked degree^, the strong
characteristics of his Celtic ancestry.

HENRY A. WINEKA is another native
of York county who has. never abated his alle-
giance to the place of his birth or to the voca-
tion to which he was reared, and he is now one
of the leading farmers and representative citi-
zens of York township, being the owner of the
fine old homestead place of seventy-five acres.
He was born in York township, on the 14th
of September, 1852, and is a representative of
the third generation of the family in America
and in York county.

Henry Wineka, his grandfather, was born
in Germany, where he was reared and educated,
there learning the trade of papermaking. He

became a very skillful mechanic. On emigrat-
ing with his family to America he landed in the
city of Baltimore, Md., where he made his
headciuarters for a time, and not being able to
secure w'ork at his trade he devoted his atten-
tion to peddling for a short interval, after
which he came to York county and located in
West York. Here he secured employment in
the line of vocation to which he had been so
thoroughly trained. He remained there about
five years, and then took charge of the Ehrhart
mills, in York township, where he remained for
a long term of years, being prominently con-
cerned in building up the business and continu-
ing in supervision of the operation of the mills
until his final retirement from active labor, a
few years prior to his death. His remains rest
in the cemetery at Spry, York township, as do
also those of his devoted wife, whose maiden
name was Caroline Voss. Of their children
we record that Henry became a prosperous
farmer of York township, near the village of
Spry, where he died; one child died in Ger-
many, at the age of two years ; William was the
father of Henry A. Wineka.

William Wineka was born in Germany,
April 25, 1825, and there received his early
educational discipline in the excellent national
schools. Being a lad of only ten years at the
time of the family emigration to America he
attended school for some time after coming to
York county, and finally entered the employ of
P. A. & S. Small, of York, as a teamster, re-
maining with them until the time of his mar-
riage, at the age of nineteen years. Thereaf-
ter he located on the homestead now occupied
by his son Henry A., having purchased the
property of his father, who early made invest-
ment in lands in this county. The farm com-
prised 130 acres, and here William Wineka
gave his attention to the improvement and cul-
tivation of his land, developing one of the best
farms in York township and erecting substan-
tial buildings of the best type, while he so
ordered his life in all its relations as to com-
mend himself to the confidence and high regard
of his fellowmen, who had high appreciation of

Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 111 of 201)