George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 112 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 112 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

his worth as a man and a loyal citizen. He was
a stanch advocate of the principles of the Dem-
ocratic party and was a prominent and valued
member of the United Brethren Church, in
which he held the various official positions ; his
loved and devoted wife was likewise a sincere
and earnest member of the same church. Mr.




^\'ineka was summoned to his reward March
15, 1901, at the age of seventy-tive years, ten
nionths and twenty days, and the resting-place
of himself anrl his wife is marked by two of the
most beautiful monuments in the United Breth-
ren churchyard at Spry. The maiden name of
Mrs. \\'ineka was Mtary Flinchbaugh, and she
was born and reared in this county, daughter of
Frederick and Sarah (Kindig) Flinchbaugh.
The date of her nativity was March i, 1832,
and she was summoned into eternal rest FeJj.
28, 1 89 1. Of the children of this union it is
fitting that brief record be here entered :
Amanda is the wife of Franklin Nevel, a
farmer of York township ; William died at the
age of fourteen years; Benjamin died when
eleven years of age ; Eli passed away when ten
years of age; Henry A. is the subject of this
sketch; Sarah A. died at the age of one year
and Mary Alice at the age of eight years ; Fred-
erick, who married Lillie Stauffer. is a pros-
perous farmer of York township ; Milton, like-
wise a successful farmer of the same township,
married Alice Lecrone.

Henry A. Wineka secured his early educa-
tional discipline in the district schools of York
township, where he continued his studies dur-
ing a portion of each year until he had attained
the age of seventeen. In the meanwhile he had
assisted his father in the work of the farm, and
after his marriage he assumed charge of the
home place, which he operated for his father on
shares, receiving half of the returns from the
products of the place. Thus he continued until
the death of his honored father, when he pur-
chased the interests of the other heirs and be-
came sole owner of the fine farm, which is one
of the best in the county, not only in the mat-
ter of fertility but also in the superiority and
attractiveness of the buildings and other per-
manent improvements. Mr. Wineka is essen-
tially enterprising and progressive, brings to
Ijear scientific methods in carrying on his farm,
utilizes improved machinery and other facili-
ties, and thus gains the maximum returns from
his labors, being one of those who significantly
demonstrate that the great basic art of agri-
culture is worthy of the attention of able busi-
ness men and that it offers an attractive field
for action when correct methods and business
principles are brought to bear. Mr. Wineka is
one of the loyal and public-spirited men of his
township and is ever ready to lend his aid in the
promotion of worthy enterprises for the gen-

eral good, while his political support is gi\'en
to the Democracy. He has never been ambi-
tious for official preferment, but served one
term as auditor of York township. Both he
and his wife are valued members of the United
Brethren Church at Sprj^.

On Feb. 8, 1885, Mr. ^^''ineka was united
in marriage to Miss Ellen Flinchbaugh, who
was born and reared in York township, daugh-
ter of Daniel and Mary (Grimm) Flinchbaugh,
the former being one of the representative
farmers of the county at the time of his death,
while his wife likewise has passed away. Mr.
and Mrs. Wineka have four children, all of
whom still remain beneath the home roof-
tree, namely : Abbie May, Mary Iva, Harry
William, and Paul Raymond.

ored and well known farmer of East Hopewell
township, York county, has followed the pur-
suits of an agriculturist since boyhood. He
was born in Hopewell township, at the Jacob
Grove mill (which his father was operating at
the time), Oct. 10, 1849, son of Jacob and
Catherine (Hyson) Keesey. Until 1865 he re-
sided in Hopewell township, when his parents
removed to Chanceford township, on the
Shenks Ferry road, two miles from Brogue-
ville. In 1872 he went to live with Dr. B.
F. Porter at Brogue vi lie, whose farm he
worked for one year at $18 per month. At this
time Joseph's father decided to purchase a farm
in Hopewell township, provided that his son
would assist him. This he did, although Dr.
Porter offered him $300 per annum as an in-
ducement for the young man to remain with
him. Mr. Keesey continued to assist his father
at home for seven years, and then married and
located on a twenty-six acre farm at yit. Pleas-
ant, East Hopewell township, which he bought
from John Rechard, of York. He remained
on that place until 1894, when he sold to
Frank Kurtz, purchasing his present farm of
fifty-seven acres, upon which he has erected
buildings of the most modern and substantial

Mr. Keesey is a member of Hopewell U. P.
Church, haviuig joined that body in 1868, and
he has always taken an active part in its work,
serving as trustee and secretary of the Sab-
bath school. He is a stanch Democrat and
well posted on political questions. Mr. Keesey
was married, Nov. 26, 1879, to Sarah Jane



Grove, born in Hopewell towuiship, near the
Hopewell U. P. Church, daughter of Jacob
and J^Iargaret (Collins) Grove. One child
was born to this union — Roy W., Oct. 4, 1885,
who, after attending the public schools, spent
two terms at Millersville State Normal school.
The children born to Jacob and Catherine
(Hyson) Keesey were as follows : Elizabeth,
who married J. A. Bailey, of East Hopewell;
John, who married Agnes Hyson, and lives
in East Hopewell ; Joseph M. ; William, who
married Sarah Bacon, and lives in Chance-
ford township; Catherine, who married S. C.
Edgar, of Hopewell township ; Jane, who mar-
ried William Thompson, East Hopewell ; J.
R. W., who married Effie Hyson in East Hope-
well township; and Miss Annie. All of these
are living.

member of the firm of Oermann & Blaebaum,
contractors and builders, has progressed to his
present position from a humble beginning as
an employee.

Frederick Blaebaum was born in West-
phalia, Germany, Oct. 4, 1862, son of Henry
and Elizabeth (Westerholt) Blaebaum. The
parents are now both deceased, and of their
family only the one son ever left Germany. He
crossed the Atlantic when he was seventeen
years old, having previously received a good
education in the schools of his native land and
a three years' training as a carpenter. On
landing in America ^ iUaebaum went di-
rectly to York, and at unce ^.ecured employment
in the establishment of which he is now a part
owner. He came with \ery little money, but
by industry and good management has achieved
a large measure of success. The business was
established in 1880, by Menauch & Co., and
the present firm succeeded to the management
March 14, 1899. In 1903 they met with re-
verses, the plant being destroyed by fire, but
the firm at once rebuilt on a more modern and
extensive scale, and are again operating most
successfully. The senior partner is Casper
Oermann, and the firm's location is from Nos.
446 to 472 West Clark Alley. They do a gen-
eral contracting and building business, have
large lumber yards and operate an extensive
plant for the manufacture of all kinds of fit-
tings, such as, doors, blinds and interibr
decorations. In all their operations they em-
ploy from fifty to sixty men, and their custom

work is far-reaching, as they ship their mill
products to Columbia, Lancaster and other
outside points. Among the many important
contracts taken by the firm may be mentioned
the Rosenmiller building, on West Market
street, and the residences of George E. Neff
and John Eimerbrink, all proving that Oer-
mann & Blaebaum stand in the very front rank
of the city's builders.

Mr. Blaebaum's domestic life has been as
fortunate as his business career. He was mar-
ried, in 1884, to Miss Emma Honzmyer,
daughter of Charles and Mary Honzmyer, "of
York county. Three children have been born
to their union, as follows : Charles, who mar-
ried Miss Mazie Julius, and is employed by his
father; William, a stuclent at Concord College,
N. Y. ; and Harvey, at home. Mr. Blaebaum
and his wife are members of St.' Matthew's
Lutheran Church. The family residence is at
No. 472 West Philadelphia street.

BARNABAS B. RUBY maintains his
residence in the attractive village of Delroy.
The Ruby family is of stanch French origin,
and the original representatives in the Key-
stone State located in Lancaster county, in
the pioneer epoch, and from that section at an
early day came members of the family to York

John Ruby, grandfather of Barnabas B.,
was .a prominent and influential farmer of
Lower Windsor township, where he owned
more than 700 acres of land along the banks
of the beautiful Susquehanna river. He
erected a stone residence, which is still stand-
ing and which figures as one of the landmarks
of that section, being in an excellent state of
preservation. His mortal remains were laid
to rest in the family cemetery on his farm.
This sterling pioneer was a firm adherent of
the Democratic party, and was prominent in
local affairs of a public nature, while both he
and his wife were consistent members of the
German Reformed Church. His children
were : ( i ) Henry was a prominent citizen and
successful agriculturist of Lower Windsor
township, and his death occurred on his farm,
along the tidewater canal, a number of years
ago. One of his sons, Prof. George Ruby,
was at one time a member of the faculty of the
York County Academy. (2) Michael, father
of Barnabas, was the next in order of birth.
(3) Joseph^ (4) David, (5) Peter and (6)



John were successful farmers and honored
citizens of Lower Windsor township, where
they continued to reside until death.

Michael Ruby, the father of Barnabas B.,
was bom April 30, 1802, and it is practically
assured that the place of his birth was the old
ancestral homestead, in Lower Windsor town-
ship. He was reared to the hardy discipline
of the farm, and acquired what was considered
a liberal education for his day. In his youth
he learned the blacksmith's trade, which he
followed, in connection with farming, for
many years. After his marriage he located
on a part of his father's landed estate, in
Lower Windsor township, eventually becom-
ing the owner of a finely improved farm of
fifty-five acres, and there continuing to reside
until his death, March 15, 1848. He was an
old-line Whig in his political adherency, and
was an influential factor in local affairs, hav-
ing served for a number of years as justice of
the peace, and having also been an incumbent
of other offices of local trust. Mr. Ruby was a
zealous and active member of the German Re-
formed Church, while Mrs. Ruby was a
Lutheran. He married Elizabeth Keller, who
was born in Lower Windsor township, York
county, Jan. 16, 1807, and there her death oc-
curred Jan. 10, 1868. The Keller family early
settled in that county, and is mentioned in the
sketch of James Keller, nephew of Mts. Eliza-
beth Ruby. To Michael and Elizabeth Ruby
were born children as follows : John, born Feb.
25, 1827, married Nancy Flury, and both are
now deceased, the former having died in Lower
Windsor township, March 15, 1901 ; Henry,
born Dec. 14, 1828, was a farmer of York
county, and died Dec. 13, 1879; Julia Ann,
born Dec. 22, 1830, is the wife of George
Kinard, of Red Lion ; Sarah, born May 9,
1833, became the wife of Michael Paules, and
died Feb. 3, 1875 ■ Rudolph Harrison, born
Oct. 14, 1837, died April 2, 1869; Elizabeth,
born Feb. 29, 1839, is the wife of Henry
Fisher, of Marysville, Perry Co., Pa. ; Barn-
abas B.; Agnes, born Oct. 12, 1845, ^s the
widow of Hiram Bixler, and resides in Hel-
1am township; and Elnora, born Oct. 12, 1847,
resides in Yorkana, York county, being the
widow of Heni-y Fry.

Barnabas B. Ruby was born on the little
homestead farm of his father, in Lower Wind-
sor township. July 8, 1843, ^""^ ^^s early edu-
cational training was secured in the township

schools, being supplemented by a course of
study in the York County Academy, in the city
of York, where he had as instructor his cousin,
Prof. George W. Ruby. He made good use
of the advantages thus afforded him, and
when twenty-two years of age began teaching
in the schools of his native township, proving
successful in his efforts, aiid continuing to
teach for three winter terms, at the same time
assisting in the work of the farm. He was
but five years of age when his father died, and
from the age of seven until that of sixteen he
lived with his brother John, who, with true
fraternal solicitude, enabled him to secure a
good education, while from this brother he
received adecjuate pay for his services during
the latter portion of the period when he was
assisting in the work of the farm.

In 1867 Mr. Ruby married and shortly
afterward purchased a small farm in his native
township, the place comprising twenty-four
acres and being located a short distance from
Delroy. There he engaged in farming", market-
gardening and tobacco-growing, meeting with
marked success through his well directed ef-
forts, and continuing to reside thereon for a
quarter of a century, while for fifteen years
of this period he also carried on a profitable
enterprise in the manufacture of cigars, util-
izing the product of his own farm and build-
ing up a profitable trade. He retired from
business in 1902, when he took up his residence
in Delroy, where he has since maintained his
home, still retaining possession of his farm, '
which he rents.

Mr. Ruby has been firm in his support of
the Republican party from the time of attain-
ing his legal majority to the present, and he
has been active as a worker in its local con-
tingent, while he has been called upon to serve
in various offices of public trust. In 1884 he
was elected justice of the peace of Lo\Mer
Windsor township, satisfactorily performing
the duties of the office for a period of ten
years. He also served as township assessor
and clerk, as a member of the election board
and as school director, proving faithful to the
responsibilities devolving upon him. He is one
of the influential members of the Canadochley
Lutheran Church, in which he is serving as
elder at the time of this writing, while he was
formerly a deacon therein and has held other
official positions. His wife likewise is a de-
voted member and active worker in the church.



On Dec. 19, 1867, Mr. Ruby was married
to Malinda A. Stahley, who was born and
reared in Lower Windsor township, daughter
of Peter Stahley, who died about forty years
ago. His widow, whose maiden name was Re-
becca Sloat, subsequently became the wife of
John Leiphart, who still resides in that town-
ship, at the patriarchal ag-e of ninety-two years,
his wife having passed away Aug. 6, 1904, at
the age of seventy-seven years, two months and
twenty-three days. The following record per-
tains to the children of Mr. and Mrs. Ruby :
(i) Edward C, born Oct. 14, 1868, married
Carrie Bailey, and they reside in New Free-
dom, York county. After completing the cur-
riculum of the public schools Edward C. con-
tinued his studies in'the York County Academy
and the normal school at Millersville, after
which he took a course in the Northern Indiana
Normal school, at Valparaiso, Ind., and then
entered Pennsylvania College, at Gettysburg,
Pa., where he was graduated as a member of
the class of 1902, being valedictorian of his
class. He then entered the theological semin-
ary of the same institution and after graduat-
ing with the class of 1905, accepted a charge
at the Hanover Lutheran Church. For eleven
years he was a popular and successful teacher
in the public schools, having been engaged in
various counties of his native Stalte. (2)
Elizabeth R., born Jan. 25, 1870, remains at
the parental home. ( 3) Henry A., born March
18, 1871, married Cordelia Gehley, and they
reside in Lower Windsor township. (4)
Agnes, born Nov. 15, 1872, is the wife of
John E. Spiker, of that township. (5) Ma-
linda J., born March 6, 1874, remains with
her parents, as does also (6) Sarah Ellen, who
was born June 4, 1875. (7) Julia A., born
Dec. 5, 1876, is the wife of Charles E. Kline,
of Wrightsville, York county. (8) Mary
May, born Feb. 14, 1878, is the wife of George
E. Cooper, of East Prospect. (9) Laura Kate,
born Dec. 28, 1881, (lo") Peter Michael, May
17, 1885 and (11) Nettie Alberta, Feb. 3,
1890, are still members of the home circle.

DANIEL F. BRENNEMAN, deputy col-
lector of the Fifth division of the Ninth dis-
trict, was bom in Ho]5ewell township, in
what is now Winterstown jjorough. May 8,

David Brenneman, grandfather of Daniel
F,. was a native of England, and came to the

L^nited States when he was a young man, set-
tling in Lancaster county. Pa., and later re-
moving to North Hopewell township, where
he bought land. He was a wheelwright by
trade, an occupation which he pursued in con-
nection with his farming operations.

Joel Brenneman, father of Daniel F., and
son of David, reached maturity on his father's
farm, and spent his entire life there, with the
exception of several years when he lived re-
tired in Felton, prior to his death at that place.
He was one of the organizers of the borough,
and was chief burgess for a number of terms,
besides holding other offices of importance,
and was a stanch Republican. He was a mem-
ber of the Reformed Church. Mr. Brenneman
married Catherine Stabley, born in Hopewell
township, daughter of Geoi'ge and Susan (Se-
christ) Stabley, and to this union were born:
Susanna, Mrs. John F. Tyson, of Windsor
township ; Catherine, Mrs. P. M. Mitzel, of
Winterstown ; Ellen, Mrs. George Sechrist, of
Chanceford township ; Daniel F. and Amanda.
Mrs. John W. Sheffer, of North Hopewell

Daniel F. Brenneman received his educa-
tion in the common schools of the township,
his teachers being S. E. Miller and A. F.
Strayer. He left school at the age of eighteen
years, and was reared to the life of a farmer,
remaining at home with his father until his
marriage in 1882. He then assumed charge of
the home farm, which he rented for two years,
at the end of which time he purchased it from
his father. Since he has operated the farm
Mr. Brenneman has built two barns, the one
belonging to his father having been burned
Feb. 15, 1 89 1. He built the first barn directly
after, and this was struck by lightning June
17, 1897, after which he erected his present
barn at a cost of $1,500, the other having cost
$2,000. Mr. Brenneman's farm consists of
1 75 acres. He is a stanch Republican in poli-
tics and was appointed revenue collector in
1897, serving four years and eight months
under H. L. Hershej^ He also served as street
commissioner of the borough and school
director, and has held minor offices. He is a
member of the Lebanon Lutheran Church, and
fraternally is connected with the I. O. O. F.,
of Dallastown.

Mr. Brenneman was married in 1882, to
Maggie Herbst, of Sprin,gfield township,
daughter of David (deceased) and Lena



Hei'bst, and to this union have been born :
Murray C, of Philadelphia, a teacher for four
years in Hopewell township ; Millie, a clerk in
a store; Tilly, at home; Amanda, died in in-
fancy, and Hathaway Shindle, living at home.
Mr. Brenneman was one of the organizers of
the First National Bank of Red Lion, and has
served on its board of directors since its or-
ganization in 1899.

ASAHEL STEWARD, M. D., who en-
joys the distinction of having practiced his
profession longer than any other physician in
southern York county, was born on his father's
farm in Peach Bottom township, York county,
March 10, 1841, son of Nehemiah and Amelia
(Cooper) Steward.

To write the record of the Steward and
Cooper families, the ancestors of Dr. Steward,
is almost to narrate the history of southern
York county, for from the Indian days their
lives have been interwoven with the progress
of that section. Thomas, Alexander and
John Cooper located in what is now York
county during the first half of the sixteenth
century, and until they had built their log
cabins lived for a time in a hollow tree. John
Cooper was the great-great-great-grandfather
of Dr. Asahel Steward. He had a number
of descendants, among them being John, Dr.
Steward's grandfather. The Steward family
is of Irish origin, the first member to
come to America being Asahel Steward, who
spelled the name Stewart. He settled in York
county, married, and his son Asahel (2) mar-
ried Elizabeth Morris. Asahel and Elizabeth
Steward were the parents of Nehemiah
Steward, the father of Dr. Asahel, born April
22, 1810, in Chanceford township. Asahel
Steward (2) was a miller by trade and oper-
ated the old John R. Donald mill at Wood-
bine, York county; at the time of his death,
in 1823, he was proprietor of the Wilev mill
in the same county. His widow died in Peach
Bottom township in 1847.

The children born to Nehemiah and Amelia
(Cooper) Steward were as follows: Dr.
Asahel ; John, a merchant of Red Lion ; Stock-
ton; Elizabeth, the wife of Robert Ml Moore;
Susan, the widow of Jefferson Stanley ; Ellen,
the wife of Charles E. Berk, of Delta; and
Martha, the wife of William Tarbert.

In youth Dr. Steward attended the pub-
lic schools of Slatedale, and later entered

Ste\A-artstown Acadeni)-. In 1S66 he matric-
ulated at Bellevue Hospital Medical College
and graduated from that institution in 1869.
His medical preceptor before entering college
had been the late Dr. James Y. Bryan, Dr.
Steward's uncle, who for over a half a cen-
tury before his death, in 1873, was the best
known medical practitioner of lower York
county. After graduating Dr. Steward prac-
ticed his profession at Bellevue Hospital, New
York, wdiere he remained until 1870, and then
removed to Pleasant Grove, Lancaster county,
where he resided until 1875. In that year he
located at Slate Hill, near Delta, remaining
there until 1888, in which year he moved to
Delta, where he has since practiced.

In 1875 Dr. Steward was united in mar-
riage to Cassandria IMcCullough, daughter of
Robert K. and Frances (Scott) McCullough,
of Lancaster county, and these children have
been born to this union : William J., M. D.,
who graduated from the University of Mary-
land in 1904; Amelia, the wife of William
Bay; Montgomery; Latimer; Jennette; Na-
poleon Bryan; Elizabeth, and Roswell. In
political belief the Doctor is a Democrat, but
not an aspirant to office. He is a member of
the Masonic and Odd Fellows fraternities.

WALTER BLACK. One of the most
substantial business houses of York, Pa., is
that of the Joseph Black & Sons' Hosiery Mill.
of which industry Joseph Black was the orig-
inator and head. His birth occurred in Eng-
land, and he came to America in 1854. Re-
turning to England in 1857, he remained until
1879 when he again located in America, set-
tled in Philadelphia and established a hosiery
mill there, which he conducted for nine years.
Coming to York in 1899 Joseph Black estab-
lished his hosiery plant, and how well the en-
terprise has prospered may be judged from
the fact that the firm employs 400 people, and
has a daily capacity of 1,500 dozen pair of
hose. The mills manufacture hosiery for men,
women and children, and find a ready market
from Maine to California. The father, with
his sons Walter and Joseph, Jr., after estab-
lishing the plant in York, had the company in-
corporated, and capitalized at $150,000. It
was and is known as the Joseph Black & Sons
Co. The father died, universally lamented, in
September, 1904, aged seventy-three years.

Walter Black was born in Loughborough,



England, Jan. 9, i860, and recei\-ed his edu-
cation in the schools of his birthplace. At an
early ag-e he entered his father's mill, master-
ing ever}^ department, and he now occupies
the position of president of the company. He
was married in No\-ember, 1878, to Emma A.
Skeffington, of England, and eight children"
have been boi-n to this union : Florence, a grad-
uate of the Philadelphia High School; Mary;
Clarence ; Ralph ; Walter, Jr. ; Emma and Lil-
lian (all students at York) ; and Myrtle. In
religious belief Mr. Black is an Episcopalian.
In politics he is a Republican, and in fraternal
circles affiliates with the ]\Iasons and the Elks.

Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 112 of 201)