Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 113 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 113 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Joseph Black, Jr., who is also a member
of the company, was born in England in 1866,
and learned the hosiery business in his father's
mill, of which he is now the secretary and
general manager. He was married in 1894
to Lillie Gfay, of Liverpool, England, and
three children have been born to this union,
one of whom died in early childhood, the sur-
vivors being Clara and Joseph, Jr., both at
school. Mr. Black, like his brother Walter,
is an Episcopalian. He is a Republican, and
he also is identified with the Masons and the
Elks.

The output of the Joseph Black & Sons
Co. for 1905 was the largest in its history,
every year showing phenomenally large in-
crease, and the goods not only find a ready and
extensive market throughout the United
States, but through the Canadas as well. In
fact the goods manufactured by this company
are in a class of their own and the demand for
them is limited only by the capacity to manu-
facture them.

ANDREW ZELLERS was born April
14, 1841, on the homestead farm near
Stewartstown, a son of Levi and Lavina
(Lucky) Zellers. Bartholomew Zellers, the
grandfather, was of German ancestry. For
a number of years he was well known in the
saddlery business at Stewartstown and later
bought the homestead farm, but died before
moving to it. He married Rose Ann M'iller,
who survived him and later became the wife of
Jacob Daly.

Levi Zellers, father of Andrew, was born
in 1 81 7, in Stewaftstown, being reared on
the farm purchased by his father and now oc-
cupied by his son William. After the death
of his wife he lived some years in Stewarts-



town and then returned to the homestead,
where he died Dec. 25, 1888. In politics he
was a Democrat, ancl in religious leanings,
a Presbyterian. The children of Levi Zellers
and his wife were : Lydia Ann, now deceased,
formerly the wife of Amos Shaw, of Stewarts-
town ; Andrew ; William, now farming the
homestead, who married Esther Jane Ander-
son ; Sarah Jane, who died unmarried ; Mary,
Mrs. Jesse P. Leib, who died in Hopewell
township; Samuel S., a farmer in Hopewell,
married to Anna Mary Duncan ; and Louisa,
wife of William Carlisle Smith, of Oswego,
New York.

Andrew Zellers was educated in the public
schools of Hopewell township under excellent
teachers, Henry and John Fulton, Perry Beard
and others, and was about twenty-one when he
enjoyed two terms at the Stewartstown Acad-
emy under Prof. James A. Murphy and Prof.
Jones. He .intended to prepare himself for
teaching, but the outbreak of the Civil war
caused such unsettled conditions that he re-
linquished this ambition. When he reached
his majority he started out for himself, hiring
out as a farm hand for several years, but at
that time wages were low, good hands getting
only $16 a month. He spent some seasons in
Delaware assisting to harvest the peach crops.

In March, 1865, Mr. Zellers removed to
Illinois and was engaged there as a farm
laborer at $35 a month, remaining thus em-
ployed eighteen months, when he returned to
work the home farm. Later he engaged at the
carpenter's trade with his brother-in-law,
Amos Shaw, and with John Richard, John
Falkner, James Gemmill and John Fishel, com-
pleting his apprenticeship under the last named.
Then he purchased a few acres of land at The
Cross Roads, and there built a home and raised
truck on his land for the next seven years.
After selling this property he bought his pres-
ent farm of no acres from the widow of
George Hedrick, and there he has carried on a
general line of farming ever since.

Mr. Zellers was married, March 14, 1878,
to Jane Elizabeth Smith, who was born at
Cross Roads borough, Aug. 10, 1850, and was
reared there, attending school in the vicinity
and later a private institution conducted by
Rev. Mr. Watson. Her parents were Samp-
son and Ellen Anderson (McAlister) Smith,
and her grandparents, Sampson and Elizabeth
(Duncan) Smith. Mrs. Zellers is the second



BIOGRAPHICAL



591



of five children, the others in order of birth
being-: \\'iniam Carlisle, husband of Mr. Zel-
lers" youngest sister; John Andrew Livings-
ton, a graduate of the Princeton Theological
School, who married Mary E. Johnson, and
is a Presbyterian minister at York; Samuel
Owen, on the home place, and John Thomas
McAlister, married to Ellen Norris and re-
siding- at Stewartstown.

Mr. and Mrs. Zellers have the following
children: William Homer, born April 15,
1880, living at home; Mary Eleanor, Dec. 14,
1882; Bessie Louise, April 22, 1886; and Earl
Smith, Aug. 29, 1890. Mir. Zellers united with
the Presbyterian Church when a young man
and has continued his relations with it ever
since. His wife joined the Round Hill Pres-
byterian Church when twelve years old, re-
maining with it until her marriage, when by
her request she was transferred to Stewarts-
town, \\here she is a devoted and useful mem-
ber. She has been a teacher in the Sunday
school for the past three years and is the ob-
ject of high regard.

Mr. Zellers has been a life-long Democrat.
He has served as school director in his town-
ship for nine years and while living in
Stewartstown was elected tax collector.

GEORGE W. FRY. engaged in the real
estate and fire insurance business, in York,
is the son of the late Charles H. Fry, who died
Jan. I, 1895, in his sixty-third year, one of
the most prominent citizens of York county.

John Fry, grandfather of George W., was
born in York county, where he \\'as a well
known farmer. His wife, whose maiden name
was Julia Haines, was also a native of York
count}'.

George W. Fry was born May 24, 1859,
at East Prospect, York county, and was edu-
cated in the York County Academy and at
Bryant and Stratton's Business College at
Philadelphia. After finishing his studies he
became deputy recorder of deeds for York
county, and so continued for a period of ten
years, leaving that office in 1891 to engag"e
in business with his father, the firm being
Charles H. Fry & Son, real estate and insur-
ance. Among the fire insurance companies
represented by them was the Spring Garden
Mutual Fire Insurance Company, of which
Charles H. Fry was one of the organizers,
and for many j^ears secretary, his son, George
W., now holding that office. The last named



is also prominently connected with the Spring
Garden Building & Loan Association and the
York County Agricultural Association, of
which he is a life member; is a director of the
First National Bank of York and the Eastern
Market Company, and is a member of the
York County Historical Society, the Good
Will Fire Company No. 5, and the York Club.
He affiliates with the Knights of Malta, the I.
O. R. M., and the Spring Garden Relief Asso-
ciation. In religion he is a Methodist, and
belongs to the Ridge Avenue Church. In poli-
tics he is a Democrat. Like his father, who
was a director of the City Bank of York, and
also a director and secretary of the Eastern
Market Company, Mr. Fry is of a progressive
and liberal spirit. The Spring Garden Mutual
Fire Insurance Company, of which Mr. Fry
is secretary, was organized in 1864, and from
that date until his death. Mr. Fry's father held
the position now occupied by the son. The
Spring Garden Building and Loan Associa-
tion was organized in 1868. and of that con-
cern also the elder Mr. Fry was secretary.

George W. Fry was married Jan. 17, 1877,
to Mary C. Abreght, daughter of William
Abreght, of York, and two childreh were born
to them : Arthur G., clerk in the employ of the
Pennsylvania railroad service at York ; and
Charles W., a bookkeeper with the First
National Bank. Mr. Fry's brothers and sis-
ters are as follows: Horace H., a clerk; Wil-
liam F., a clerk and surveyor; John H. ;
Sophia; Elizabeth M., who married Prof. F.
M. McClary: Hattie. wife of Lloyd Miller, a
shoe clerk ; and Emma, who married Claude
C. Graver, of the firm of McClellan, Gotwalt
& Co., of York.

George W. Fry has added to the material
improvement of York by building the fine resi-
dence in which he lives (one of the handsomest
in the East End), almost directly opposite the
old home of his father. It was eminently fit-
ting that ]\Ir. Fry should have succeeded to the
secretaryship that his father had filled, and it
is conceded on all sides that the mantle of the
father fell on worthy shoulders.

ALBERT GREIDER EMIG is the owner
of beautiful Brookleaf Farm, one of the finest
and most beautiful homes in Hellam township,
the homestead having been in the possession of
the Emig family for a period of nearly
one hundred years. Brookleaf farm is
historic property. It was originally pur-



592



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



chased from AA'illiam Penn lay a j\lr.
jMorgan, who settled it and built a stone
house in the midst of its forest trees. Mr.
jNIorgan was shot by Hessian soldiers, and his
widow married a widower, Mr. Bahn. Mrs.
Morgan's daughter finally married Mr. Bahn's
son, and the farm descended to them and their
heirs. It was purchased from the Bahn fam-
ily in 1835, the present fine stone mansion hav-
ing been built some time previous to that date,
by Jacob Bahn. The house, surrounded by
fine old trees, stands as it was built by Mr.
Bahn, with the exception of a kitchen added
by Mr. Emig in the summer of 1903. The old
barn, built in 1805 or 1807, 100x140 feet in
dimensions, was struck by lightning and
burned in 1879, a few years after the death
of Mr. Emig's father, who had re-roofed it.
The present barn, 50x85 feet, was erected, by
the heirs. John Emig, grandfather of Al-
fred Greider, was a native of Manchester town-
sihip, and a county commissioner.

Alfred Greider Emig was born on the farm
in Hellam township, Jan. 8, 1857. He had
good educational opportunities ; his first school-
ing was under Messrs. Elliker, Peeling and
Gable — at Miisser's school, a mile away from
his home, and he continued to attend that in-
stitution until he was twenty years old. He
began work on the farm in early life, and as
his father died in March, 1877, he remained at
home to carry on the place for his mother.
The latter died in 1896, and a sister, Mary A.,
bought the farm : but six months later Mr.
Emig purchased of her a half interest in it,
and at her death, in 1901, bought the other
half. His whole life has thus been passed
on the old place.

On April 22, 1890, Mr. Emig married
Mary Jane, daughter of William, Sr., and
Catherine (Bahn) Dietz, mention of whom ap-
pears elsewhere. The children born to this
union are : Clarence D. ; Raymond G., de-
ceased ; Howard M. ; and Morgan Bahn. ^/[r.
Emig is a prosperous and highly esteemed citi-
zen, a man honored in his own community.
He and his family are members of the
Reformed Church. Mr. Emig is a member of
the school board, and is a Republican in
politics.

MILTON \Y. WINEKA is a worthy and
popular representative of one of the old and
honored families of York covmty, and is one of
the successful exponents of the advanced agri-



cultural activities of this section, his attractive
farm property being located in York township.
Inasmuch as on other pages of this work ap-
pear individual sketches of the caixers of Mr.
Wineka's brothers, Henry A. and Frederick
S., with full and authentic data in regard to
their parents and the ancestral history, it will
not be necessary in the present connection to
again enter into the details, since ready refer-
ence may be made to the two articles men-
tioned.

Milton W. Wineka was born on the old
homestead farm, in York township, June 7,
1865, a son of William and Mary (Flinch-
baugh) Wineka, both of whom, now deceased,
were numbered among the most highly es-
teemed citizens of York township, while of
them special memorial tribute is made in the
sketch of Henry A. Wineka, above mentioned.
The subject of this sketch passed his boyhood
days on the home farm, and diversified his
time between work and study and play, like the
average farmer boy of the locality. He secured
a good common-school education, having con-
tinued his studies in the public school at Ore
Valley until he had attained the age of six-
teen years, and thereafter he continued to as-
sist in the work and management of the home
farm until 1886, when he took up his residence
on his present well-improved farm-, which his
honored' father purchased for him, while in the
meantime he had taken unto himself a wife
and assumed the responsibilities of a man of
family. Mr. Wineka's farm comprises fifty-
seven acres of excellent land, the place being
well improved with buildings and ecpiipped
with modern facilities for the proper carrying
on of its cultivation. Our subject raises the
various cereals best adapted to the soil and
climate, also producing' a considerable tobacco
crop each year, while he makes somewhat of a
specialty of market gardening", finding a ready
demand for his vegetables and produce in the
city of York. In 1901 he purchased a fine
modern threshing outfit, and this he has since
operated during the season, making the en-
terprise a profitable one and gaining a support
throughout York and adjoining townships.
Fle is a stalwart Democrat in his political pro-
clivities, and both he and his wife are enrolled
as members of the L'nited Brethren church at
Spry.

On June 10, 1886, Mr. Wineka led to the
marriage altar Miss Mary Alice Lecrone, who
was born and reared in York township, this




czMpJ^^^^^^'^^a^



BIOGRAPHICAL



593



county, a daughter of Barnhart and Nancy
(Kauffman) Lecrone, the former of whom
died Feb. 24, 1900, being interred in the cem-
etery at Dahastown, and his widow now makes
her home with her daughter, Mrs. Wineka.
To Mr. and Mrs. Wineka have been born eight
children, all of whom are living and remain at
home except Mazie Leona, the seventh in or-
der of birth, who died at the age of three years.
The other children are here named in order of
nativity: William Frederick, Eli F., Mary
Ellen, Daniel Curwin, Alvin Eugene, Laura
May and Esther Viola.

GRANT S. TINSLEY, druggist of
Wrightsville, where his father was a well
known contractor and mason, is a native of that
town. The Tinsley family is of English origin,
and the American branch goes back to four
brothers, who left the ancestral home and set-
tled near Hagerstown, Md. One of them came
later to York, Pa., and became the progenitor
of the Pennsylvania branch of the family. The
other brothers and their descendants went
South and West.

Absalom Tinsley, grandfather of Grant S.,
was born in Hellam township, and was by trade
a stone-mason and brick-layer. He married,
• and spent his later years in Wrightsville, where
he died. He had three children, as follows :
John, father of Grant S. ; and Sarah and Mary,
who both died unmarried.

In January, 181 7, John Tinsley was born
in Wrightsville; there, also, he died. He
learned his father's trade of masonry and brick
laying, and he and Jacob Flury went into part-
nership as stone contractors. He was elected
chief burgess of the town council and was
many times councilman. He was a member
of the I. O. O. F. He married Elizabeth
Mlatthews, also a native of Hellam township,
who died in 1887, at the age of sixty-seven.
Her father, Samuel Matthews, was a farmer.
The Matthews family is of Irish descent, and
the first comers to America settled in Chester
county. Pa., whence they removed to Hellam
township.

Mr. Tinsley and his wife were members of
the Methodist Church. Their children were
as follows : William G., of Wrightsville, who
married (first) a Miss Albright, and (second)
Mrs. Nace; Sarah Jane, who is unmarried;
Grant S., mentioned below; Marcia C. and
Phoebe (twins), the former of whom is un-
married and the latter, Mrs. R. A. Glatfelter ;



Mabel, who is Mrs. William Zorbaugh, of
Wrightsville; and Blanche, who is unmarried.

The birth of Grant S. Tinsley occurred in
Wrightsville, Sept. 4, 1863, and he received a
common school education under the teaching
of Prof. Gardner. At seventeen he left school
to enter the drug store of C. W. Wilson, where
he was a clerk for two years. He then went
to Philadelphia, for a year was a clerk for
the drug firm of H. C. Blair & Sons in that
city, and spent another year in their store at
Atlantic City. He took a great interest in the
business, and on leaving the Atlantic City
branch returned to Philadelphia, took a course
in the College of Pharmacy, and later returned
to Wrightsville to establish a business for him-
self. His only capital was twenty dollars, and
he was not much over twenty years old, but he
was able to buy a stock of goods on credit.
He opened his first store under the town hall
in Wrightsville. He remained there a year and
a half, and then bought his present property
at the corner of Hellam and Second streets.
He has built up a large business, and is one
of the popular merchants of the town, having
a fine store, large, well stocked and attractive.

Mr. Tinsley is well known in fraternal cir-
cles; he is a member of Riverside Lodge No.
503, F. & A. M., Wrightsville, where he is
past master ; Chapter and Commandery at Co-
lumbia; the Mystic Shrine in Harrisburg; the
Jr. O. U. A. M. ; I. O. O. F. and the Royal
Arcanum. In politics he is a Republican, and
he has served his town as chief burgess and as
school director.

SIMON LAUCKS is now living retired
in the village of Bittersville. He was born on
the farm now owned by Philip Laucks, in
Lower Windsor township, Feb. 23, 1839, and
is a son of Levi and Elizabeth (Myers)
Laucks, both natives of York county.

Levi Laucks was born in Lower Windsor
township in 181 5, and during the greater por-
tion of his active career was engaged in agri-
cultural pursuits, finally taking up his resi-
dence in the city of York, where he resided
for a quarter of a century. At the time of his
death, in 1903, when he was eighty-eight years
of age, he was residing with his son, Simon
Laucks. The deceased was a stalwart Demo-
crat in his political proclivities, but never a
seeker of public office, though he was for a
time school director of Windsor township.
His wife, who was born in Lower Windsor



594



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



township, and is now deceased, was a daugh-
tei- of Benjamin Myers, who was a prominent
farmer and honored pioneer citizen of Lower
A\'indsor township, where he died at a vener-
able age. Both Levi Laucks and his wife
early identified themselves with the Lutheran
Church, in whose work they ever continued
to manifest a deep interest. Of their children
Simon was the first born ; David M., wdio mar-
ried Miss Emeline Peeling, is a resident of
Paradise, Lancaster county, and is an e-x-mem-
ber of the State Legislature; Kate is the wife
of Samuel Daron, of Columbia, Lancaster
county, and is the youngest of the children.

Daniel Laucks, grandfather of Simon, was
one of the worthy and influential farmers of
Lower Windsor township, having, as a young
man, settled upon the farm now owned by
his grandson, Philip Laucks, which he re-
claimed from the forest and upon which he
resided until his death. Of his sons the fol-
lowing data are preserved : Henry, who mar-
ried Kate Shenberger, died in Chanceford
township ; Samuel, who married Peggy Mc-
Ouiggan, died in Lower Windsor towaiship,
as did also Daniel, who never married; Ben-
jamin, who married a Miss Beaverson, lived
in the vicinity of Freystown at the time of
his death, and Levi, father of Simon, has al-
ready been mentioned. Of the daughters it
is recorded that Kate became the w'ife of John
Paules; Polly, the wife of Frederick Emen-
heiser. and Susan, the wdfe of Benjamin
Woods. All three daughters died in Lower
Windsor township.

Simon Laucks passed his boyhood days on
the home farm and under the conditions com-
mon to the farmer's lad of the locality and
period. In the little schoolhouse of his native
township he secured his early educational dis-
cipline, his first teacher being an Irishman
named Whittaker, who was employed for a
number of years in the school, which was two
miles distant from the Laucks homestead. As
soon as he w-as old enough to assume the re-
sponsibility the boy began to aid in the work
of the home farm, and his services were in
such demand that his attendance at school be-
came very irregular. He made good use of his
opportunities, however, and continued his
school work at intervals until he had attained
the age of twenty-two years. He remained
upon the family homestead until he had
reached the age of twenty-four years, and then



engaged in farming on his own responsibility,
renting a place in Lower Windsor township
and finally becoming the owner of a substantial
property. To the supervision of this tract,
which consisted of fifty acres, he gave his
attention for a score of years, selling his farm
in 1904, since which time he has lived retired
in the attractive village of Bittersville, where
he has a comfortable and pleasant home. At
times he assists, in a clerical capacity, in the
general store of his cousin, George ^V. Laucks,
of that town. He is a charter member of the
Lower Windsor Mutual Fire Insurance Com-
pany, of whose directorate he has been a mem-
ber for the past decade. In his political alle-
giance be is identified with the Democracy,
and, while he has never been an aspirant for
office, has taken a lively interest in local affairs
and given his aid and influence in support of
all worthy enterprises for the general good.
He was reared in the faith of the Lutheran
Church, of which his wdfe is a member.

In Lower Windsor towaiship, in June,
1 86 1, was consummated the marriage of Mr.
Laucks to Miss Rebetca Walk, who was born
and reared in that township, daughter of John
and Lydia (Zarfous) Walk. She has been all
that a good wife and mother could be, and she
is held in high regard by her wide circle of
friends. Mr. and Mrs. Laucks have but one
child, John F., who lives in the West.

DANIEL AND THOMAS STUBBS. The
Stubbs family is presumably of English origin,
although the records extend no further back
than the grandfather of the present genera-
tion, Vincent Stubbs. Vincent Stubbs was
born in Lancaster county. Pa., and w"as a
farmer by occupation. He married Priscilla
Cooper, daughter of John and Hannah
(Wheeler) Cooper, and had seven children,
as follows : John, of Lancaster county ; Daniel,
a farmer in that county ; Isaac ; Thomas and
Vincent, farmers in Lancaster county ; Han-
nah, who married Israel Reynolds, a farmer in
Chester county; and Ruth, wife of ^^'illiam
Bernard, also of Chester county.

Isaac Stubbs was born in Fulton township,
Lancaster county, in 1799, w-as given a com-
mon-school education, and made farming his
lifelong occupation. He married Elizabeth,
daughter of Reuben Haines, of Cecil county,
MU., and their family consisted of the follow-
ing thirteen children : Reuben, who married



BIOGRAPHICAL



595



Miss Hannah Swayne, and died in Peach Bot-
tom township; Vincent G., a resident of DeUa ;
Mary, who died at home, unmarried; Saraii,
Mrs. Jacob Swayne; Emihne A., Mrs. Samuel
Passmore; Albert, who married Phoebe Ann
Hickman; Joseph H., who married Deborah
\\'alton ; Daniel, who died in childhood ; Daniel
(2); Thomas; Priscilla, who died aged six-
teen ; Henry, who married Helen SchaeiTer, of
Albany, N. Y., and Priscilla (2), who died
young. The family were originally Quakers.
Daniel Stubbs was born in Chester county,
near Oxford, Nov. 24, 1840. With his parents
he removed to York county and there grew to
manhood, attending the public school in Peach
Bottom township until he was twenty-two.
After leaving school he worked on the farm
with his father, and after the latter's death,
when Daniel was thirty-five, he and his brother
Thomas took the management of the place,
where they have remained ever since.

Thomas Stubbs, who was born at the
homestead July 19, 1843, received the same
educational advantages as did his brother, and
has passed his life in the same employment.
They are engaged in general farming and
stockraising, and deal largely in Short Horn
cattle. On Jan. 9, 1902, Thomas Stubbs was
united in marriage to Viola Glackin, daughter
of Jacob and Amanda (McCleary) Glackin,
the former a farmer in Chanceford township.
One child has been born to them, Elizabeth H.
Daniel and Thomas Stubbs are both Republi-
cans, but take no special interest in local
politics.

WILLIAM T. COX, who died Feb. 10,
1905. aged fifty-four years, was one of the pro-
gressive business men of the city of York, and
the high regard in which he was held in the
community was indicated in no uncertain way



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 113 of 201)