George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 114 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 114 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

in his having served for three terms as a mem-
ber of the city council. As superintendent of
the York Carriage Company he held prestige
as a representative member of the business cir-
cles of the city, and in all of life's relations he
ever merited the esteem which was accorded

Mr. Cox was a native of the old Keystone
State, having been born in Lancaster countv,
Oct. II, 1850, son of the late Major Benja-
min F. and Amanda (Funk) Cox.

Major Cox was a valiant soldier in the
Union army during the war of the Rebellion,
being major of the 47th P. V. I. and serv-

mg in the field during practically the entire
perior of the great internecine conflict through
which the integrity of the nation was per-
petuated. For thirteen years he was steward
of the Lancaster County Almshouse, and he
died honored by all who knew him. Major
Cox married Amanda Funk, sister of Amos
Funk, a well known and popular farmer and
hotelkeeper of Lancaster, being a member of
a family which was founded in Lancaster coun-
ty in the pioneer days.. Major and Amanda
(Funk) Cox became the parents of five chil-
dren, of whom William T. was the last sur-
vivor, those who had previously died being
Charles, Elizabeth, Ida and Benjamin.

The name of Cox has long been identified
with the carriage-making industry in the city
of Lancaster, the original firm having been
Cox & Suydam, and the successor in the busi-
ness, Samuel B. Cox, uncle of William T., who
learned the trade in the former's establish-

AVilliam T. Cox duly availed himself of the
advantages, afforded in the public schools of
his native city, and at the age of fifteen years
entered his uncle's carriage works as an ap-
prentice. He continued to be identified with
this business for the long period of sixteen
years, at the expiration of which he entered the
service of Samuel E. Bailey, who conducts his
flourishing enterprise under the title of the
York Carriage Company. Mr. Cox became
superintendent of the works in 1889, and for
eight years had a monetary interest in the busi-
ness. The concern sends its products into all
sections of the Union, while a large export
trade is controlled, goods being shipped to Eu-
rope and even to South Africa. The extent of
the industry may be understood when it is
stated that the capacity of the plant is fully
14,000 vehicles annually, while employment is
afforded to 250 persons. The entire establish-
ment was practically swept away by fire April
6, 1904, but by the 25th of the following
August a new plant had been completed and
equipped, but such had been the growth of the
business that it was found practically im-
perative to further increase the output of the
concern by the erection of a second plant, of
larger capacity, in East York. Both are now
in active and effective operation. In his
capacity of superintendent Mr. Cox had up to
the time of his death, the general supervision
of the business.

In politics I\Ir. Cox was a stalwart Republi-



can, being- elected for three consecutive terms
a member of the city council from the Third
ward. He was a most progressive and valued
member, serving as chairman of the Finance
committee and secretary of the Light com-
mittee. In a fraternal way he was identified
with both the lodge and encampment of the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

On Nov. 24, 1880, Mr. Cox was united in
marriage to MSss Mary L. Channel, a valued
school teacher and daughter of the late Joseph
C. Channel, who was a native of Lancaster
county and who was killed by the explosion of
a locomotive boiler, he had been for many
years a trusted and faithful employee of the
Pennsylvania Railroad Company.

WILLIAM ZELLERS, owner of what is
known as the Maple Valley Farm, situated
near Stewartstown, was born June 13, 1843,
in the old log house which still stands near
the present family mansion. His parents were
Levi and Lavina (Lucky) Zellers, and his
grandfather was Bartholomew Z£llers, who
was the original purchaser of the farm named.

William Zellers was reared on his father's
farm and very early took an important part
in its agricultural development. When he was
six years old he attended his first school, his
teacher being Henry Fulton, and he continued
his education, during the winter seasons, until
he was seventeen. Among his other instructors
he recalls Henry Downs, Perry Baird, Andrew
J. Fulton, James Fulton and Nicholas Amos.
He was not of a particularly studious turn of
mind, preferring to work on the farm; and
in his lifetime he has done a very large share
of agricultural labor. He remained with his
father until the latter removed to Stewarts-
town and then took the farm which he has
operated ever since. He has made many im-
provements upon it, building a beautiful
residence in 1892 at a cost of about $3,000;
the substantial barn his father had built in
1869. The farm contains 130 acres of choice
land and it is considered one of the most pro-
ductive of the township. Since 1901 he has
liad the farm under rental.

Mr. Zellers was married April 15, 1875,
to Esther Anderson of East Hopewell town-
ship, a daughter of James and Mary (Miller)
Anderson (both deceased) and a sister of
James Anderson of East Hopewell township.
Mrs. Zellers died in 1898, leaving one child,

James L. of Stewartstown, an engineer em-
ployed in a furniture factory. He married
Mary Patterson and they have one child,
Hazel. Mr. Zellers is a member of the
Stewartstown Presbyterian Church, as was his
late wife, who was a noble. Christian woman.
Her death was a great loss to her family,
church and community. Mr. Zellers is a
strong supporter of the Democratic party.

THE IRWIN FAMILY. One of the old-
est names associated with Pennsylvania's his-
tory is that of Irwin, which was first identified
with Lancaster county, but is now fully as
well known in York county. The Irwins in-
termarried with the Murphys and a fairly com-
plete genealogy of the two families is here pre-

The first of the Irwins to settle in Amer-
ica was (I) Samuel, who was born in County
Cork, Ireland, and was there married, but em-
igrated to America and settled in Lancaster
county. His children, the elder of whom were
born in Ireland, were Samuel, James, John and
Isabella. The daughter died May 7, 1837.

(II) Samuel (2) had a family of eight
children, (i) Christopher was born Feb. 16,
1807, and was the father of Price, Clarence,
Samuel, Frank and Virginia. He resided in
Ohio. (2) Robert was born March 20, 1809,
and died in October, 1882. His children were:
Mrs. Mary Murphy and Mrs. Jane Manifold,
deceased; Mrs. Bella Manifold, of Hopewell,
and Samuel, deceased. (3) John James Dun-
can Irwin was born Oct. 30, 181 1, and died
Oct. 14, 1838. C4) Isabella Orr Duncan Ir-
win was born Sept. 14, 1814. She married
Thomas Wiley and they had three children:
Mrs. John H. Wilson ; James B., of York, anc'
Sallie, who died in childhood. (5) Joseph,
born July n, 1817, died April 13, 1894. He
married (first) Nancy Galbraith, of Peach Bot-
tom township, and they were the parents of
two children — Samuel and Annie, of whom the
latter died in infancy— and (second), Sept. 28,
1864, he married Mary Jane Murphy, daugh-
ter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Smith) Murphy,
they being the parents of Elizabeth S. and ]\Iary
Bella. The two daughters were educated at
Wilson College, Chambersburg, which was
founded by Sarah Wilson, a granddaughter of
Joseph Irwin, and they reside upon the old
Irwin homestead, which has been in the pos-
session of the family since 1812. Many Indian



relics have been discovered on their land, one
portion of which contained burial mounds of
a prehistoric race. (6) Esther Reed Irwin,
born Aug. ii, 1819, died in infancy. (7)
Jane Irwin, born Aug. 25, 1822, married Wil-
liam Galbraith, and had the following children :
Samuel, Eliza, Nettie and Mary, all deceased;
Alexander and Irwin, of Baltimore, Md. (8)
James Duncan Irwin, born Aug. 25, 1825,
'died Sept. 7, 1834.

Mrs. Mary Jane (Murphy) Irwin, wife of
Joseph, was the daughter of Thomas and Eliz-
abeth (Smith) Murphy, and on both sides
came from old Pennsylvania families. Her
maternal grandfather was John Smith, of Eng-
lish ancestry, who was born Dec. 27, 1758, and
died Feb. 11, 1826. By his wife Agnes, who
was born March 2, 1757, and died Jan. 29,
1841, he had the following children: Mary,
born Jan. 20, 1786, deceased Aug. 22, 1864;
James Hume, born Oct. 23, 1789, de-
ceased Feb. 2, 1858; Elizabeth, born April
8, 1794, died April 11, 1864; John, Jr., born
Feb. 27, 1796; William, a physician, born
March 28, 1798, deceased March 24, 1847;
and Charles, born May 18, 1800, deceased Oct.
12, 1825.

On the Murphy side Mrs. Joseph Irwin's
grandfather was Joseph Murphy, a native of
Scotland, who settled in Lancaster county. His
son Thomas was born July 11, 1792, and ched
March 24, 1871. He and his wife Elizabeth
had a large family. ( i ) Joseph, born May 26,
1820, was twice married. The children by his
first wife were: Elizabeth S., Dec. 25, 1844;
Thomas J., May 18, 1846, and Stephen C,
May 9, 1848. Mr. Murphy married Alice
Cunningham for his second wife, their union
occurring Jan. i, 1852. They had one daugh-
ter, Mary Alice, born June ii,- 1882. (2)
John Smith Murphy, born July 5, 1824,
died Dec. 3, 1885. (3) James A., born March
22, 1826, died Aug. 3, 1895. He was one of
the best known and most successful educators
of his day. He was graduated from Jefferson
College, Washington, Pa., in 1845, 3-"cl for
many years was principal of Shrewsbury
Academy, in which many men who afterward
became famous were his pupils, among them
John Livingstone Smith. Prof. Murphy was
a contributor to many newspapers and his serial
articL; '"Exhumed Memories" was widely
copied by publications throughout Pennsylva-
nia. He was also noted as a mineralogist and

had a fine collection of minerals. (4) Charles
Smith Murphy, of Peach Bottom township,
was born Aug. 18, 1827. (5) George Murphy
was born Feb. 10, 1829. (6) Mary Jane, Mrs.
Joseph Irwin, was born Dec. 13, 1830. (7)
William Hume Murphy, of California, was
born Dec. 21, 1832. (8) Samuel M. Murphy,
born Sept. 28, 1834, died Nov. 16, 1864. Sev-
eral of these brothers went West to reside.

DANIEL SEITZ, who died in Springfield
township, Jan. 16, 1853, was for a number of
years a prominent farmer of that township,
where he also conducted a mercantile business.
He was born April 26, 1803, in Shrewsbury
township, York county, son of Rev. John and
Eva (Stabler) Seitz.

Rev. John Seitz was born March 22, 1778,
and became a local minister in the Evangelical
Church. He also followed farming in Shrews-
bury township. On March 10, 1801, he mar-
ried Eva Stabler (now Stabley), who was
born March 18, 1785, and who died Oct. 3,
1856, aged seventy-one years, six months and
sixteen days. Fler husband died July 4, 1856,
aged seventy-eight years, three months and
twelve days, and they were both buried at the
Mount Zion cemetery, in Springfield township,
near the Shrewsbury township line. They had
children: Samuel, born Jan. 30, 1802; Dan-
iel; Jacob, born Feb. 21, 1805; Catherine, born
July 4, 1806; Elizabeth, born Sept. 14, 1808;
George, born Oct. 20, 1810; Samuel (2), born
Dec. 28, 181 1 ; Christene, born' July 4,
1813; John, born Sept. 24, 1814; Jos-
eph, born March 16, 1816; Noah, born
May 22, 1817; Magdalena, born June 16,
1 819; Catherine, born Aug. 24, 1821 ; Adam
S., born Feb. 5, 1826; and Benjamin, born
May 15, 1827.

Daniel Seitz received a thorough common-
school education, and first engaged in the
cooper's trade. He later embarked in the mer-
cantile business in Spring-field township, an oc-
cupation he carried on for a number of years,
in connection with farming. Mr. Seitz was
buried at Mt. Zion cemetery. He married
Annie Dice, daughter of John Dice, and after
Mr. Seitz's death she married Henry Myer.
They are buried at Mt. Zion cemetery. There
Vv'as no issue by the last marriage, but to Mr.
and Mrs. Seitz were born : Leah, widow of the
late Daniel Ludwig, living in Baltimore : An-
nie, deceased, wife of Adam L. Reeser; Mary.



who has the old homestead in Springfield town-
ship consisting of seventy acres, and makes
her home near Potosi postoffice ; and Christina,
widow of Jacob Herbst, living in Baltimore.
Mr. Seitz was a fine business man, and in every
venture in which he engaged met with remark-
able success. He was well known and highly
respected in Springfield township.

AUGUST SONNEMAN. The record of
the business and civil life of York has held
many prominent names, and for more than
a third of a century has appeared that of Au-
gust Sonnepian, packer and dealer in leaf to-
bacco, several times member of the city council,
a loyal friend and useful citizen.

Mr. Sonneman was born near Eimbeck, in
the town of Sievershausen, Hanover, Germany,
May 12, 1842, son of Carl and Antoinette
(Wedekind) Sonneman. Carl Sonneman was
sexton of the Lutheran Church, and besides
his duties in that position, followed the trade
of linen weaver. Mrs. Antoinette (Wedekind)
Sonneman was a daughter of Carl Wedekind,
of Sievershausen.

August Sonneman passed his boyhood and
youth in the Fatherland, accjuiring the excel-
lent school training characteristic of German
institutions, and learning habits of industry
and economy. At the age of seventeen he came
to America, landing at Baltimore, Md., in
1859, and there he soon found employment
in the tobacco business. He held his first posi-
tion two years, and at the end of that time
came to York, here following his trade for
four years. He was thrifty of his means, and
had accumulated sufficient capital to enable
him to go into business for himself, and ac-
cordingly began the manufacture of cigars.
This he carried on successfully until 1867,
when he enlarged the scope of his operations
by adding the packing of leaf tobacco. The
latter showed such excellent returns that little
by little it advanced in importance until it far
outclassed Mr. Sonneman's original venture,
and today the packing of leaf tobacco is his
chief industry.

Mr. Sonneman has had interests outside of
the tobacco trade, and he was one of the orig-
inal stockholders and builders of the City Mar-
ket. He has been ecjually prominent in many
other progressive movements of the town, and
he has ever lent his aid to worthy causes. As
a consistent Lutheran he has been active in

St. John's parish, where he has served as a
trustee for some years. He also represented
his church on different occasions as lay dele-
gate to the Synod. In municipal affairs he has
played a prominent part, and was a member of
the first city council of York. In 1893 he was
elected assessor for the First ward, his term
expiring in 1896. As a public official his serv-
ices cannot be over-estimated. Gifted with
wisdom and practical judgment, and having'
by his long experience a thorough knowledge
of business affairs, he has been able to lend
valuable assistance and to give sound advice
to the local government. His ability is so well
-known, and his public spiritedness so open and
free that men in all walks of life have sought
his counsel. It is given to but few men to so
merit the high esteem of their fellow men.

Mr. Sonneman has been twice married. On
March 18, i86%he wedded Charlotte Wauker,
daughter of Francis and Julianna Wauker, of
York. Eight years later the wife died leaving
besides her husband, one son and three daugh-
ters : Antoinette Julianna, born Feb. 27, 1867,
married, Nov. 5, 1890, William Grothe, of
York ; Wilhelmina Charlotte, ' born June 3,
1869, married Ferdinand Bloom, of York;
Charlotte Augusta, born Dec. 7, 1870, mar-
ried Gustav Mehl, of York; and Carl August
Franz, born April 28, 1873, died in childhood.
On Oct. 27, 1874, Mr. Sonneman was married
to Catharine Smith, who was born in Lub-
becke, Prussia, Germany. Two sons and two
daughters have blessed this union, namely:
Anna Katharine, born July 25, 1875, who was
united in marriage, April 26, 1900, to Charles
A. Givler, of York ; August Carl Heinrich,
born Nov. 5, 1878; Carl Wilhelm Franz, born
Alarch 10, 1880; and Louise Marie Katharine,
born Jan. 21, 1892.

HENRY BURG, of East Prospect, bears
a name which has been linked with the annals
of York county from the early pioneer days.

The name was originally spelled Burgholt-
house, and the original progenitor in America
was George Christian Burgholthouse, grand-
father of Henry. This worthy ancestor emi-
grated from the German Fatherland to Amer-
ica in 1803, being accompanied by his wife and
family of four sons and setting sail for the
new world from Amsterdam. Of the four
children Barnhart Henry, father of Henry,
was the youngest, being two years of age at



the time. The family landed in New York
City, and soon afterward settled in the imme-
diate vicinity of Canadochley church, in Lower
Windsor township, York county, their abid-
ing place being on the church property. The
grandfather was a talented musician, and for
many years he was organist in the church. In
his youth his father had given him a certain
amount of money, all of which he expended in
securing a literary and musical education, being
a man of fine intellectuality and a successful
teacher in the schools of York county for many
years. These schools were maintained on the
subscription plan, German being the language
used, as the greater portion of the early set-
tlers in the locality were of German birth or
lineage. He finally became heir to the property
of his brother, who died in Germany, having
had no children, while his wife preceded him
into eternal rest. The estate was worth about
$300,000, but owing to improper management
on the part of its custodians, the grandfather
of Mr. Burg realized from it only about
$70,000. He finally purchased the farm now
owned and occupied by Samuel Burg, who is
mentioned elsewhere, and there he continued to
be engaged in agricultural pursuits until his
death. He devised his entire estate to his wife,
who retained possession during her life, re-
maining on the old homestead, which was op-
erated under the supervision of the father of
Henry Burg.

Grandfather Burg was a Whig in politics,
and both he and his wife were zealous members
of the Lutheran Church. Of their children
the following record is offered : Frederick,
who married Elizabeth Will, removed to
Adams county, Illinois, where he was engaged
in farming until his death ; Daniel removed to
Indiana and there passed the residue of his
life ; William, who married a Miss Dosch, died
in Lower Windsor township ; Barnhart, father
of Henry, was the next in order of birth ; Cath-
erine, who became the wife of John A. Jacobs,
died in Chambersburg, Pa. ; Rebecca became
the wife of George Thomas and they located
in Freeport, 111., where she died ; Helen, be-
came the wife of Dr. Abraham Bittner, of
Lancaster county, where both died ; all of the
daughters were born in York county.

Barnhart Burg was born March 12, 1801,
in Dover, England, the supposition being that
his father was there engaged in teaching at the
time. He was reared to manhood in York

county, receiving his early educational train-
ing in the German school taught by his lather,
in Lower Windsor township, and making good
use of the somewhat limited opportunities thus
afforded him. After the children had attained
maturity his father engaged in the manufact-
uring of cigars, and Barnhart learned the
trade. The products were all long-fillers and
designated as "twist-heads," while a market
for the cigars was found in Marietta, Lancas-
ter county, whither they were taken in a mar-
ket-basket. On one occasion the children in
the family made a competitive test of skill in
the manufacture of cigars, and in the one day
William turned out 3,000, while the lowest
record was over 2,000. After the purchase of
the farm Barnhart continued to be identified
with its work until the death of his father,
when he assumed the management of the place,
as has already been noted. He there continued
to be successfully engaged in farming until
about 1859, when he retired from active la-
bors, passing the remainder of his days in the
residence now owned by his son Henry in East
Prospect. He was the owner of 500 acres of
the best land in Lower Windsor township, the
property being later divided among his chil-
dren. In his early yeai's he was a stalwart
Whig, but later supported the Know-Nothing
candidates, and finally gave his allegiance to
the Republican party, in whose ranks he re-
mained until his death, which occurred April
2, 1872. He was a devoted member of the
United Evangelical Church and a veritable
pillar of strength in the organization at East
Prospect, being for many years a member of
its board of trustees and also serving as class-
leader and exhorter, having been consecutively
in office for a long term of years and up to the
time when he was summoned to his final re-
ward. He was a close and appreciative Bible
student and his conversation gave evidence of
his marked familiarity with the Scriptures,
from which he often cjuoted at length and with
absolute accuracy. He was a man of large
physic|ue, weighing 240 pounds, and was genial
kindly and tolerant, so that he enjoyed not
only the unciualified confidence and esteem of
all who knew him, but was also looked upon as
a generous and true-hearted friend.

Barnhart Burg- was twice married, having
first wedded Helen Dellinger, of Lower Wind-
sor township, who died in the township named
in 1831, leaving four children, namely: John,



Avho -was born Nov. 21, 1821, died in 1889, in
Y'ork, where he was engaged in the insurance
business; his first wife was Anna Hively, and
his second Lydia Oleweiler. George, who was
born Dec. 14, 1823, died in Lower Windsor
township, in 1901 ; he had been thrice mar-
ried, the maiden names of his wives being
Leah Handle, EHza Kinard and Mary Ann
Gilbert, the last named still surviving. Eliza-
beth, born May 3, 1827, became the wife of
Jacob Sitler and died in Lower Windsor town-
ship, in May, 1877. Samuel, who was born
Sept. 20, 1829, resides on the old homestead
and married successively Rachel Fry and Eliza
Shultz, the latter still living. In 1833 Barn-
hart Burg was again married, his second wife
being Catherine Anstine, who was born in
Lower Windsor township July 3, 1808, a
daughter of George Anstine, a prominent
farmer and pioneer of that section of the coun-
ty. Mrs. Catherine Burg was summoned to
rest Jan. 30, 1890, and this brief record of her
children is herewith given : Henry is men-
tioned more in detail below. William, born
April 8, 1836, has been thrice married — to
Delia Ruby, Leah Gilbert and Mary Gilbert;
he is now a resident of Lower Windsor town-
ship. Mary Jane, born Oct. 20, 1837, is the
wife of Abraham Detwiler and they reside in
Winter Park, Fla. Simon AVesley, born Feb.
12, 1841, 'died in May, 1886, being survived
by his wife, whose maiden name was Delia
Shock; he was graduated at a leading medical
college in Philadelphia and was engaged in the
practice of his profession at New Berlin,
Union Co., Pa., up to the time of his death.
Moses, born Oct. 7, 1843, lived for a number
of years in Kansas and thence removed to Ore-
gon, where he died in 1897; he is survived by
his wife, whose maiden name was Henrietta
Woodmansy. Reuben, born Dec. 31, 1845,
married Elizabeth Heim, and they reside in
Columbia, Lancaster county. Milton, born
Feb. 26, 1848, first married Delia Fry, and
after her death wedded Emma Fry ; he is now
a resident of Lower Windsor township. Wal-
ter, born Dec. 14, 1850, married Emma Bentz,
and they reside in York.

Henry Burg was born on the old homestead
farm, in Lower Windsor township, Aug. 11,
1834, and, owing to the exigencies of time and
place, his early educational advantages were
hmited. He attended the township schools
until he had reached the age of fourteen, but,

although he was able to take advantage of but
three of the winter terms, he laid a foundation
on which to build from the lessons gained in
the school of experience. At the age of four-
teen years-he became a clerical assistant in the
general store of his brother John, in East Pros-
pect, receiving no compensation but his board
and clothing. When he had attained the age of
eighteen he felt that he ought to receive pay

Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 114 of 201)