Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 115 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 115 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


for his services and thus resigned his position
in order to find some remunerative employ-
ment. He was examined by Superintendent
Kirk to determine his eligibility for the position
of teacher in the common schools, and was suc-
cessful, securing his certificate and teaching
during- three winter terms, in the meanwhile
assisting his father on the farm during the
summer seasons.

On Sept. I, 1856, Mr. Burg was married
to Rebecca Gilbert, daughter of Samuel Gil-
bert, who for many years was a justice of the
peace in Lower Windsor township, as well as
a major in the State militia. His wife, Re-
becca, was a daughter of Peter Keller, one of
the pioneers of the county. After his mar-
riage Mr. Burg engaged in farming on one
of the places owned b}' his father, thus continu-
ing for four years and being similarl}^ engaged
for the succeeding two years on a farm owned
by his father-in-law. He then engaged in gen-
eral merchandising at the corner store in East
Prospect, continuing there for six years and
meeting with marked success. Later he pur-
chased his present fine farm, locating on the
property and there giving his undivided atten-
tion to its cultivation for a score of years. The
farm originally comprised 363 acres, but he
has sold a large portion, retaining 125 acres.
In 1 89 1 Mr. Burg left the farm and took up
his residence in East Prospect, where he has a
pleasant home. In the same year he was ap-
pointed justice of the peace, at the request of
citizens of the borough, in place of George
W. Ferree, who did not accept the commission,
and thereafter he was thrice elected to the
office, refusing to accept his commission on the
third occasion. He made an excellent record
as an official, having sent but one case to the
higher court. In 1899, against his vigorous
protest, Mr. Burg became postmaster at East
Prospect, a petition having been sent in asking
for his appointment and signed by numerous
leading citizens of the section. He at first re-
fused to permit the consideration of his can-



BIOGRAPHICAL



Go I



didacy, but the position was finally conferred
upon him, this being one of the few cases
where the office has assuredly sought the man.
He has served many times as township asses-
sor and for twenty-nine years was a school di-
rector of the township, his record in this con-
nection having been exceeded by only one man
in the county. Mr. Burg cast his first Presi-
dential vote for the candidates of the Know-
Xothing party, but has been a stalwart suppor-
ter of the Republican party since its organiza-
tion. He is affiliated with Winona Lodge, No.
944, I. O. O. F., in which he has twice passed
the various official chairs. When eighteen
A-ears of age Mr. Burg united with the United
Evangelical Church, and he has ever since been
a zealous and consistent member of that body,
as is also his wife. He was for twenty years a
trustee of his church and has also served as
class leader and in other official positions. He
is well known in this county and, because of his
many attractive qualities, one has only to be-
come an accjuaintance in order to be a friend.
The following is a brief record of the chil-
dren of Mr. and Mrs. Burg : Malinda, who
was born Sept. i, 1858, died Sept. 31, 1866;
Harris Winfield, born Nov. 27, 1859, remains
at home; Edwin McClelland, born Sept. 3,
1 86 1, died April 9, 1862 ; Samuel Wesley, born
Jan. 12, 1863, married Clara Heim, and his
death occurred, in East Prospect, Sept. 16,
1903 : Annie, born Aug. 4, 1865, is the wife
of John F. Gilbert, of Lower VVindsor town-
ship; Katy, born Jan. 12, 1868, is the wife of
Samuel Martin, of the same township ; Eliza-
beth, born Nov. 28, 1869, is the wife of Har-
vey Dietz, of Hellam; Helen, born Dec. 17,
1 87 1, is the wife of Jesse Zearfoss, of Lower
A\'indsor township; Oscar, born July 4, 1877,
married Eneda Thomas, and they live in East
Prospect.

JOHN ANDERSON, one of the highly
respected retired citizens of East Hopewell
township, York county, was born ]\Iay 20,
1829, in the vicinity of Mt. Pleasant, Hopewell
township, son of Andrew and Eleanor (McAl-
ister) Anderson.

John Anderson, the founder of the Ameri-
can branch of the family, was born either in
Scotland or the north of Ireland, and his mar-
riage to Agnes Duncan took place about 150
years ago. He emigrated to America and set-
tled on the land upon which his descendants



have since lived, and which has always been
known as the Monmouth tract. His children
were: James, who established a home and
family at Covington, Ky. ; Robert, who was a
member of a volunteer company in the war of
1812-15, and who married Nancy Thompson
and with four children went to Springfield,
Ohio, where he followed the carpenter's trade ;
John, who married Sarah Brooks and located at
Greenfield, Ohio, where he died ; David, also
a soldier of the war of 1812-15, who settled in
Illinois and married there ; Joseph, who became
a resident of Fawn township, York county, and
who married Betsy Wilson; Andrew, who was
the father of the present John Anderson ; Wil-
liam, who lived and died in Fawn township ;
and Esther, who married Thomas McAlister,
and settled in Hopewell township.

Andrew Anderson, father, of John, was
born on the Monmouth tract, March 20, 1800.
Like other farmer boys belonging to pioneer
families, his boyhood and youth were spent in
hard work, with few amusements, such as chil-
dren of the present day demand, and very lim-
ited educational opportunities. Yet he grew
into a self-reliant, sensible man, one in whom
public confidence was placed and to whom pub-
lic trusts were given. For forty years he was
an elder in the Hopewell Presbyterian Church.
He faithfully served in township offices and
left behind an honorable, unstained name. He
died Dec. 15, 1865, the death of his wife hav-
ing taken place on the 28th of the previous
August. The season saw the passing of many
venerable residents of the township, old
friends not being long separated, viz. : x^n-
drew McAlister and wife, Robert Bell and
wife and ■ Frederick Flinchbaugh and wife.
Andrew Anderson married, Aug. 27, 1822,
Eleanor McAlister, the ceremony being per-
formed by Rev. S. Martin ; she was a native of
Hopewell township. They had three children,
namely: Elinor Eliza, iDorn Sept. 9, 1826,
married Samuel P. Wiley (deceased), and lives
in East Hopewell township : John : and the
twin brother to John died in infancy.

John Anderson has lived on his present
farm since April i, 1830, the date of his
father's removal thither. He attended the old
Cross Roads School, this being first a subscrip-
tion school. He recalls Nellie Duncan, Eliza-
beth Ellison, Polly Branyan and a ^Ir. Tyson
as early teachers, these instructors not \'entur-
inp- further than the rudiments. \Vhen the



602



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



public school was established, Mr. Anderson
attended three months each winter until he was
about sixteen years of age. The next two
years he assisted on the farm, and at the age
of eighteen he began to drive team for his
father, hauling wood and grain to York and
Baltimore, and bringing back lime and other
necessities. The clothes for the family were
made from flax spun by the busy hands of the
faithful and thrifty mother, wool from the
home raised sheep in a like manner supplying
warm clothing with which to face the rigors
of a Pennsylvania winter. Mr. Anderson con-
tinued to make himself useful after the mannei
of the young men of his day in the vicinity,
neither paying board nor receiving wages
until within one year of his marriage. When
the father died he took the farm of 120 acres
(paying his sister her share), devoting it to
general farming and sheep raising. The east
end of the family residence was built in 1809
by Robert Anderson, an uncle; it was of hewn
logs, and the two stories on the west end were
added forty-nine years ago, the barn bemg
built fifty years ago and the spring-house forty-
eight years ago.

When Mr. Anderson joined the old Hope-
well Presbyterian Church, sixty years ago,
Rev. Samuel H. Smith was then pastor, who
has long since passed to his reward. For
nearly fifty years Mr. Anderson has been an
elder. In all the church improvements he has
taken a very active part, assisting to excavate
for the foundation of the new church building
and contributing to its erection. Mr. Anderson
entered life a Whig, and when the Republican
party was organized he adopted its principles
and has since supported its candidates. He
has never sought political office, but has served
three terms as school director. He is a well
informed man as to township afifairs and turns
his influence in the direction of law and order.

The settling of Robert Anderson (the
uncle of John), at Springfield, Ohio, as early
as 1818, procured John Anderson introduction
to the lady who later became his wife. She
was his cousin, Sarah Jane Anderson, whom
he met on a visit to Springfield, and whom he
married on Nov. 18, 1856. They have two
children, viz. : Elinor E., who is Mrs. Thomas
Ryder, of Prairie du Chien, Wis. ; and Agnes
Emma. The latter first married George Briggs
and they had two daughters — Nellie and Car-
rie Irene; second, James E. Plerr, and one



daughter has been born to them — Hazel Jane
Anderson.

Mr. Anderson is a man well preserved both
in mind and body and he attributes the vigor
which he enjoys, in great measure, to his ab-
stinence from an intemperate use of tobacco.
Until the weed was prescribed by a physician,
he never smoked, and then only after he was
fifty years of age; otherwise he has never
used it.

VALENTINE J. TROUT is one of the
prominent men of East Hopewell township,
York county, being identified with its agricult-
ural interests to a very large degree. He was
born on the home place in Chanceford town-
ship, Aug. 30, 1850, son of Hon. Valentine
Trout, whose sketch appears elsewhere.

Valentine J. Trout attended the home
school at Guinston, until the age of eighteen
years. He remained at home until his mar-
riage, and' after that event, for seven years,
he farmed the home place for his father. In
1879 he purchased his present place, which
consists of 118 acres, originally part of the
Gemmill property. This was almost entirely
in the woods at the time, but Mr. Trout has
made it one of the fine farms in a township
noted for its valuable property, and on it he
carries on general farming. Mr. Trout joined
the Guinston U. P. .Church soon after mar-
riage, and is a devout and' faithful member
there, now serving in his ninth year as titis-
tee. Although his father is a Democrat, Mr.
Trout is a dyed-in-the-wool Republican.

On Jan. 16, 1873, Mr. Valentine J. Trout
was married to Miss Mattie Martin, of Lower
Chanceford township, daughter of Samuel
Martin, and to them have been born these chil-
dren : Clarence was born April 21, 1876;
Thomas M., of East Hopewell township, mar-
ried Miss Flahart ; Mary E. married Samuel
D. Lutz, of East Hopewell township; W. Ar-
thur, born Aug. 6, 1880, on the home place,
attended the public schools until sixteen years
of age, and is now a student of the business
college at Spring"field, Mass. ; he is a member
of the U. P. Church, and is a Republican;
and Nellie Ida is at home.

EDWARD WITMER, in whose death,
which occurred in 1904, the city of York lost
one of its most progressive and public spirited
citizens, was born at Stony Brook, York coun-




^ d, tCt - ^^-^^-^^



BIOGRAPHICAL



605



ty, where he received a common school educa-
tion. For. short periods he was a farmer and a
carpenter, learning the latter trade in Windsor
township. In 1881 Mr. Witmer located in
York and engaged in the hotel business at Cen-
tre Square. In 1894 he bought the George
Sheaffer hotel, and in 1904 erected the "Spring
Garden Hotel," one of the most uprto-date hos-
telries in York, located at the corner of Frank-
lin and East Market streets. It has forty
rooms and is equipped with all modern im-
provements.

In 1888 Mr. Witmer was united in mar-
riage with Miss Ellen J. Winemiller, daughter
of Francis and Sarah (Waltimire) Winemiller,
of Hopewell township, and to this union were
born these children : Ferdinand, a machinist
in the employ of the A. B. Farcjuhar Company,
married Martha E. Bush ; Agnes M. resides at
home; El wood B., who is managing the hotel
for his mother, at the age of sixteen years
joined Company A, 8th Regiment, National
Guards, and served throughout the Spanish-
American war, being promoted from the ranks
to be successively corporal and first sergeant;
and Mazie E., resides at home.

In politics Mr. Witmer was a Democrat,
and always took an active interest in all mat-
ters beneficial to his city. He was highly re-
spected in the community, the entire family
standing high in the esteem of the people of
York. Mrs. Witmer is a member of the Trin-
ity Reformed Church.

SAMUEL B. HOFF (deceased) became
a resident of New Cumberland, Cumberland
county, in 1900, where he lived retired in his
fine home on Bridge street. It is supposed
from surrounding circumstances that this
venerable gentleman and highly esteemed citi-
zen met his death by being injured by some
of his cattle, as his body was found, Sept. 6,
1903, badly mutilated, in the field by the fence
on one of his farms in Fairview township.
His remains were laid in Mount Olivet ceme-
tery in Fairview township.

Samuel B. Hoff had the following brothers
and sisters : Jeremiah, who died in Missouri ;
Elizabeth, the widow of Jacob Barber ( who
for eight years was commissioner of Cumber-
land county), residing at Lisburn, Cum-
berland county; Magdalena, who also lives
at Lisburn, and Henry, in Alaska. Mrs. HofF,
the widow of S. B. Hoff, resides in New Cum-



berland, and she belonged to a family of chil-
dren as follows : Sarah A., deceased, who was
the wife of Daniel Stouffer; Caroline, the
widow of Samuel Billette, living at Lewis-
berry ; Joseph who married Mary A. Boak, and
lives on the old Anderson homestead in Mon-
aghan township; George W., of Harrisburg;
Mrs. Hoff; William, of Kansas, and Emma,
the wife of Samuel Schaefer who lives also in
that State.

Mrs. Hoff's father died Dec. 25. 1883, her
mother having passed away in March of the
same year, and both are interred at Anderson-
town, Monaghan township. The children born
to Mr. and Mrs. Hoff were as follows : Charles
A., who married Eflie Hetrick, a daughter of
Dr. Hetrick, of Warrington township, is in
the hardware business at Lykens, Dauphin
county, Pa. ; Leroy married May Greenfield of
Fairview township, where he is farming; and
Morris A., at home, is learning the under-
taking business at New Cumberland. Mr. Hoff
was a prominent member of the Masonic fra-
ternity and many attended his funeral, which
was conducted by the Masons of York and
Harrisburg.

DAVID F. HANIGAN was born in Hope-
well township, York county, Feb. 17, 1851,
and is a member of one of the pioneer families
of that section of the Keystone State.

Ramsey Hanigan, his father, was likewise
born in Hopewell township, and was there
reared to maturity. He principally followed
charcoal burning up to the time of the Civil
war. In September, 1861, he enlisted in Com-
pany C, 87th P. V. I., with which as first ser-
geant he proceeded to the front, continuing
in service until the close of the war, and being
second lieutenant of his company at the time
of his discharge. He was woimded in the
groin at the battle of Cold Harbor, and among
the other important engagements in which he
participated were the battles of the Wilderness,
Cedar Creek, Chancellorsville and Petersburg,
besides many others of minor importance.
After the close of the war he returned
to York county -and engaged in farming
in Hopewell township, where he passed the
remainder of his life, his death occurring in
1870, when he was about fift}^ years of age.
The wound which he received in battle, as
noted above, never healed and finally caused a
dropsical condition which resulted in hi? death.



6o4



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



He was a Republican in his political adherency,
and during the administration of President
Johnson served as mercantile appraiser and
g'auger. He was a consistent member of the
Lutheran Church, as was also his wife, whose
maiden name was Susan Hildebrand ; she was
born in Springfield township, York county,
in 1 82 1, and her death occurred in 1892, in
Hopewell township. She was a daughter of
John and Catherine (Raj^mer) Hildebrand,
who were sterling pioneers of that county.
Ramsey and Susan Hanigan became the par-
ents of six children, namely : John, whO' mar-
ried Amanda Ream, and is a resident of Hope-
well township ; David F. ; Jane, wife of Joseph
Rickard, of Hopewell township; Elizabeth,
wife of John Ream, of Upper Chanceford
township ; Agnes, wife of Christian Newkirk,
of Philadelphia ; and Ramsey O., residing in
Upper Windsor township.

\Mlliam Hanigan, the paternal grand-
father of David F., was born and reared in
Ireland, whence he emigrated to America when
a young man, landing in Baltimore and finally
taking up his residence in York county. Pa.,
where he followed various vocations as a day
laborer. He married Miss Fistle, of Hope-
well township, and there they continued to re-
side until death. The Hanigans have been
men of fine physique and much strength, save
when impaired by disease. Of the children of
William Hanigan the following record is
made : Jacob died at the same time as his
father, both having been taken ill after return-
ing from a fishing trip ; John, who died in
Stewartstown, was a soldier in the Civil
war and severely wounded at Peters-
burg; Oliver, who was likewise a valiant
Union soldier, died in Hopewell town-
ship ; Jeremiah died soon after the close
of the war, at Glen Rock, York coun-
ty, as a result of disease contracted while serv-
ing as a Union soldier; William, who likewise
was a soldier in a Pennsylvania regiment, died
in Hopewell township ; Barbara, who became
the wife of Henry Mitzel, died in the same
township ; Malvina, the wife of John Standi-
ford, died in Baltimore county, Md. ; Ramsey,
father of David F., was the second in order
of birth.

David F. Hanigan obtained his early educa-
tional training in the common schools of York
county, attending the Mt. Zion school, at
Springfield, for several winters, and being en-



gaged in school work at the time when his
father went forth to do battle in defense of
the Union. When the latter came home to
recuperate from his wound David besought his
permission' to enlist, but owing to his im-
maturity the request was refused. The boy,
however, was determined on his course, al-
though he was at the time little more than
fourteen years of age. He surreptitiously left
home and went to York to see Capt. Murray
Cross, who failed to have him passed by the
examiners, though he was of fine physical de-
velopment and looked older than his years. The
zealous young patriot then pushed on to Har-
risburg, where he was refused the privilege of
enlisting; but he determined to try once n?Qre.
He proceeded to the barracks at Carlisle, where
he succeeded in passing, much to his joy and
satisfaction, and he was duly enlisted March
4, 1865, when he became a member of Com-
pany C, I02d P. V. I., under Captain
Matthews. He joined his regiment in front
of Petersburg and thereafter proceeded with
his command through North Carolina, where
he was taken severely ill, being sent to the
hospital at City Point. Three weeks later he
was sent to McKinn's hospital, in the city of
Baltimore, and thence to Pittsburg, where he
received his honorable discharge on Aug. 18,
1865. He took part in the engagement before
Petersburg, where he received his "baptism of
fire," and was one of the youngest soldiers in
the Civil war. After Lee's surrender his com-
mand lay at Berksville Station, and to his bunk-
mate he said, "My father is in this corps ; let's
hunt his regiment." This they did, and the
meeting of the boy and his father may be
imagined as a joyful one.

After his return home Mr. Hanigan was
disqualified for active labor of any sort for a
year, owing to the effects of his illness, which
had been caused by drinking polluted water.
After sufficiently recuperating his health, Mr.
Hanigan removed to Missouri, and secured
work in a steam sawmill, twenty miles from
Hannibal. At the end of six months he was
again taken ill, being incapacitated for the fol-
lowing half year, at the expiration of which
he was able to return to his home. After his
recovery he secured employment as a day
laborer, and after his marriage turned his at-
tention to agricuhural pursuits, beginning
operations in Hopewell township, where he re-
mained until 1880, when he came to Lower



BIOGRAPHICAL



60s



Windsor township. There he had charge of
the cultivation of the Detwiler farm, which
he operated on shares during the ensuing thir-
teen years. He then purchased his present
place, which comprises fifteen acres, while he
also purchased sixty-two acres of woodland
in Lower Windsor township, which he is re-
claiming to cultivation. He remodeled the
house and made other excellent improvements
on his place.

Mr. Hanigan is a prominent and popular
member and has been commander of Lieut. R.
W. Smith Post, No. 270, G. A. R., at Wrights-
ville. In politics he accords a stanch allegiance
to the Republican party and he was reared in
the faith of the Lutheran Church, though not
now formally identified with any religious
body. He served one term as school director
in the borough of Winterstown and also for
one term as supervisor of Lower Windsor
township.

On Sept. 15, 1869, Mr. Hanigan was
united in marriage to Anna R. Snyder, who
was born in Hopewell township, York county,
daughter of Jacob and Sarah Snyder, both of
whom are now deceased ; her father was a
farmer by vocation. Children as follows have
been born to Mi', and Mrs. Hanigan : Barbara
Alverda is the wife of John Kline, of Lower
Windsor township ; Odessa Blanche is the wife
of Burman Fife, of East Prospect : Rutherford
Burchard, who married Miss Elizabeth Dritt,
is a resident of the city of Lancaster; Chester
Garfield is in the first class in the L-nited States
navy, stationed at Norfolk, Va. ; Carrie, Myrtle
and Roscoe S. are at home : Matthew Stanley
Quay died in infancy.

WILLIAM CARNES CONWAY, the
present proprietor of the Hermitage Cottage
farm, in Hopewell township, was born in
Shrewsbury township, York county, Nov. 25,
1844, son of Henry and Catherine (Hedrick)
Conway. The Conways are of Irish descent,
the first one to come to America being John,
who emigrated from Ireland when a young
man, sometime between 1812 and 1815. He
located in Baltimore, Md., married a lady from
Philadelphia, and finally died in the city in
which he had made his home. He left three
children, namely : John, a sea captain, who
sailed to foreign ports and is supposed to have
lost his life in a shipwreck ; Louise, who mar-
ried and removed to Boston, and Henry.



Henry Conway was born at Baltimore in
the year 1809. Left an orphan at an early
age, he was reared by the father of the late
Miajor Ruhl, of York, and from him learned
the blacksmith's trade. Mr. Ruhl's shop was
on the old York Pike, in Shrewsbury township,
and there Mr. Conway received a thorough
training. In time he started for himself in the
same township, after a while moved to Glen
Rock, thence to Deer Creek, and eventually
to Stewartstown, where he opened a shop, in
the spring of 1845, on the spot where the
academy now stands. Later his eyesight
failed, and giving up his trade Mr. Conway
bought a thirty-acre farm, now a portion of his
son's property, built a house there and made it
his home until his death, in July, 1865, at the
age of fifty-six years. Mrs. Conway, whose
maiden name was Catherine Hedrick, was born
in Shrewsbury township; her father, Henry
Hedrick, had married a Miss Kraut. Mrs.
Conway passed away about 1885, "^vhen nearly
seventy years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Conway
were both members of the Methodist Episco-
pal- Church, and in politics the former was first
a Whig and then a Republican, holding the
office of township supervisor.

Seven children were born to Henry and
Catherine Conway, (i) John, the eldest, was
a carpenter by trade. He married Miss
Amanda Smith, of East Prospect, settled first
at Stewartstown, then successively in East
Prospect, Columbia, Pa., and other places in
that State, and now resides in Michigan. In
Stewartstown he enlisted in the 12th Pa. Re-



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 115 of 201)