Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 117 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 117 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


thus winning the esteem and confidence of his
fellow-citizens. He will be greatly missed in
the little congregation at the New Market
Church, but above all will he be missed in the
home circle. Who can take the place of a be-
loved husband and affectionate father? He
will be missed in the community, as a life of
integrity and honor can be illy spared in the
community ; but he is gone. Our loss we trust
is his eternal gain.

"Politically he was a firm and sterling Dem-
ocrat, yet was never so blind to party lines as
to forget the welfare of his country. We shall
greatly miss him in the party's council."

JACOB LICHTY, a merchant of New
Holland, York county, and assistant postmas-
ter at Saginaw, East Manchester township,
was born Dec. 4, 1828, son of Michael Lichty.
and was one of a family of three children, the
others being: Abraham, a farmer, who died
in York county, and Henrietta, who married
Mathias Coleman and resides in Illinois.

Mr. Lichty received his early education in
the township schools and supplemented this
with two terms at the York County Academy.
Until 1863 he was employed in farming pur-
suits, at that time engaging in the mercantile
business at New Holland, which he still contin-
ues. In 1857 Mr. Lichty married Mary Wolf,
daughter of Adam and Anna Mary (Demuth)
Wolf, who was born in 1833 in New Holland.
After marriage he located on his farm in East
Manchester township, in the house built
(1807) by Frederick Day and his wife. The
house was torn down in 1904 by the railroad
company while the line was being built to York
Haven, and Mr. Lichty and his family removed
to his fine new residence in New Holland,
which he had built in 1903.

The following children have been born to
Mr. Lichty and his wife : Annie married
Frank M. Kain, a veterinarian of York ; Mary
H. died at the age of twenty-one and was
buried in New Holland ; Susan married Anson
C. Hartman, and died in Middletown, Dauphin
county : Hannah died at the age of twelve, and
was kn-ied in New Holland: Sarah resides
at home ; Fannie married Dr. H. A. Free, and
resides in York ; Ada married Jacob Doll, post-



master at Saginaw, and resides at New Hol-
land; James A. is connected with Fry &
Thomas, in York; Jacob W., who married
Carrie Copenhaffer, assists his father in the
mercantile business. Nellie Lichty Hartman,
a granddaughter whose parents died when she
was six years old, has since been a member of
Mr. Lichty's family.

Besides being assistant postmaster at Sagi-
naw, Mr. Lichty has teen school director, audi-
tor, assessor, county committeeman and an in-
cumbent of numerous township offices. He is
connected with the Lutheran Church, of which
he is a liberal supporter. Mr. Lichty has hosts
of friends in every section of the county who
have been attracted to hin-wby his strong, fear-
less and resolute character, and by the un-
swerving integrity of his conduct.

JOHN H. COPENHAFER. a retired
farmer of East Manchester township, was born
in 1835 in Conewago township and is a son
of Martin Copenhafer. Little is known of
Simon Copenhafer, his great-grandfather, ex-
cept that he came from Germany and settled
in York county, where he spent his life in
farming.

Michael Copenhafer, son of Samuel, was
born in 1761 in Newberry town and combined
tanning and farming as his life work. He died
in 1836 and is buried with his wife at
QuickeFs church, Conewago township. His
wife's maiden name was Gutwalt, and to them
the following children were born : John and
Jacob, who died in Lancaster county ; Henry,
who died in Newberry; Martin, the father of
John H. ; Katie, who married James Rankin
and died in the West, and Elizabeth, Mrs.
Hoffman, who died in the ^^'est.

Martin Copenhafer was born in Newberry
township and learned the tanning and mill-
wright trades, which he followed for a number
of years in Conewago. Later he farmed there
for about fifteen years, and subsequently re-
moved to Manchester township, where he en-
gaged in farming until his death, in August,
1864, at the age of seventy-two years. His
wife was Anna Mary W^entz, a daughter of
John and Catherina (Jacoby) \\'entz: she was
born in Manchester township, AA'here she died
in 1 89 1, being buried in Paradise township.
To them the following children were born :
Anna Mary married John Spotts and died in
Pennsylvania; Jacob was killed in York; Reu-



6l2



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



ben lives in Spring-field, Ohio; Elizabeth died
unmarried in \\'est Manchester township;
Catherine married Henry Stover and lives in
Paradise township; John H. is mentioned be-
low ; Malinda married Andrew Hake and died
in Hagerstown, Md. ; Ellen died j'oung.

John H. Copenhafer attended the public
schools of Manchester township until the age
of twelve years, when he learned the carpen-
ter's trade which he followed for seven years.
In, 1856 he married Mary Ann Shindel. daugh-
ter of George and Kate (Shriver) Shindel, who
was born in Manchester township. After mar-
riage they located in Manchester township,
where he was engaged in agriculture for six
years. Later M'r. ^and Mrs. Copenhafer re-
moved to Alexander Hay's farm, in Conewago
township, where they remained four years,
then returning to Manchester, where he bought
a fine farm of sixty-one acres, erected a sub-
stantial residence and other good buildings
and lived for twenty-six years. In 1893 he
bought a fine home in Manchester borough,
where he now lives retired. Children as fol-
lows were born to Mr. and Mrs. Copenhafer :
Stephen Albert, who married Emma Duhling,
is a millwright with the card and paper mills
at York ; Ellen Catherine married F. P. Lauer,
and lives in York, and they have four children
— Daisy E. and Lottie K. (twins), Anna M.
and Steward; Anna Bell married Edward
Bear, lives in York, and has three children
living — Clark L., Paul E. and Robert; Carrie
Jane married Jacob Lichty, lives at New Hol-
land, York county, and has one boy, Jacob C.

Mr. Copenhafer is a Republican and has
served as councilman of Manchester borough.
In the Lutheran Church he is a deacon and
elder.

SAMUEL E. BAILY, at the head of the
York Carriage Company, was born on a farm
in Susquehanna county, to which section his
people had moved from Chester county, his
grandparents having been natives of that sec-
tion of the State.

Joseph B. Baily was a contracting carpen-
ter, and died when his son, Samuel'E., was
but eleven years old. His wife was Diana
Carlin, daughter of Peter Carlin, a farmer of
Springville township, Susquehanna county,
and the children born to this union were as
follows: Emily C, who married John L. Rit-
ter, of Philadelphia; Anna Mary, widow of



E. O. Archer, of White Plains, N. Y., and
Samuel E.

Samuel E. Baily has been twice married.
His first wife was Agnes Dadow, of Pottsville,
by whom he had the following children :
Arthur W., connected with Strawbridge &
Clothier, and Edith M., wife of George W.
Ryan, of the York Carriage Company. After
the death of his first wife, Mr. Baily married,
Oct. 5, 1898, Clara Bolland, of Portland,
Maine. Two children were born of this union,
Clara Louisa and S. E. Baily, Jr.

After the terrible conflagration which re-
duced his magnificent York factory to ashes,
in the spring of 1 904, Samuel E. Baily not
only rebuilt the works with an annual capacity
of 8,000 vehicles and employing over 300 peo-
ple, but erected another factory in East York,
near the Diamond Silk Mill, which has a ca-
pacity of 10,000 vehicles a year. In addition
to all this, Mr. Baily is at the head of the
firm of S. E. Baily & Co.'s immense carriage
works in Lancaster, Pa., where Mr. Baily
spent the years of his younger manhood, and
wdiere he has hosts of friends, these works
being efficiently managed by the resident part-
ner, J. C. Schutte. The Lancaster factory em-
ploys 120 skilled workmen, with a capacity of
2,500 vehicles per annum, the markets for its
products being in all sections of the world.
The carriage concerns in which he is inter-
ested have an office and repository at Nos. 203
and 205 North Broad street, Philadelphia, a
branch house at No. 36 Warren street. New
York City, another at No. 7 Water street,'
Boston, and an agency in London. In fact
they ship their goods to every civilized coun-
try on the face of the globe, and no industry in
York carries the name of that great industrial
center to more foreign countries than the
York Carriage Company.

Mr. Baily maintains his residence in Phila-
delphia, but to York belongs the magnifi-
cent industrial plant which he has established,
where is given employment to hundreds of
skilled mechanics, and whence many thou-
sands of dollars are annually sent through the
avenues of trade. It would be impossible to
write a complete industrial history of York
and omit the name of Samuel E. Baily, or
the story of the great industries he has con-
trolled and does control.

The York Carriage Company, however, is
not the only important industry in York which



BIOGRAPHICAL



613



Mr. Baily has established. In partnership
with A. P. Broomell trading as the York Auto-
mobile Company, I\Ir. Baily has established one
of the best equipped automobile plants in
United States, with a capacity of 150 touring
cars per annum. More orders were received
than could be filled for the season of 1905, and
this added industry to York is strictly in a class
of its own, and will not only do much toward
making the name of York still more familiar
to the people of other and distant sections, but
will be another substantial evidence of the en-
terprise and energy of S. E. Baily.

EMANUEL SNYDER is actively en-
gaged in cultivating his 150-acre farm, in
Fair-\'iew township. He was born Nov. 2,
1834, in Manchester township, son of Henry
and Mary (Frey) Snyder.

Christian Snyder, the great-grandfather of
Emanuel, came from Switzerland with two
brothers, and located on the spot on the Sus-
quehanna river where the capital of the State
now stands, he being the owner and builder of
the first house ever erected on the site of Har-
risburg. In this house Christian Snyder, the
grandfather of Emanuel, was born Oct. 27,
1768. Christian Snyder (II) followed agri-
culture in Manchester township, and owned
a large tract of land near the well known
Brillinger mill, dying here Sept. 20, 1839. His
wife, Annie Lehman, was born Oct. 13, 1769,
and died July 21, 1834, at the age of sixty-four
years, and they both were buried on the old
family burying place in Manchester township.
Mr. and Mrs. Christian Snyder were the par-
ents of these children : John, born Feb. 8,
1793, died April 10, 1863; Christian, Jr., born
Sept. 15, 1795, died in April, 1877; Jacob,
born Feb. 4, 1798, died July 20, 1882; Abra-
ham, born July 22, 1799, died at the age of
seventy-two years; Peter, born Jan. 5, 1801,
died at the age of twenty-one 3^ears; Henry,
the father of Emanuel; Daniel, born Sept. 10,
1805, died Jan. 20, 1873; Elizabeth, born May
18, 1808, died May 3, 1891, and Magdalena,
born Aug. i, 1814, died Jan. 19, 1900.

Henry Snyder was born Oct. 30, 1802, in
Dauphin county, being two j^ears of age when
his father moved to Manchester township, where
he was reared to manhood and followed farm-
ing. He bought a fine farm in Fishing Creek
Valley, upon which he located, and here he
died July 12, 1887, Mr. Snyder was a char-



ter member of the Fairview Mutual Fire In-
surance Company, and was prominent in busi-
ness affairs. He married Mary Frey (born
March 8, 1816, died Aug. 20, 1856), and both
she and her husband are interred at the Salem
Church, in Fairview township.

The children born, to Henry Snyder and
his worthy wile were: Emanuel; Eliza, born
Dec. 8, 1835; Samuel, born Feb. 18, 1837,
married Lydia Ginter, deceased, and they were
residents of Ohio, living near Springfield ;
Maria A., born Dec. 4, 1838, died in child-
hood; John F., born Dec. 28, 1839, married
Annie S. Free, and is living in Fairview town-
ship, where he is a farmer (he was a soldier in
the Ci^•il war) ; Susan, born Dec. 6, 1842, mar-
ried John Sheelly, deceased, and she is living
in Cumberland county ; Peter, born March 14,
1844, married Jane Sultzenberger, and they
live at Lewisberry, Newberry township ; Mat-
tie, born Jan. 13, 1846, is the widow of John
Rupp, who was a soldier in the Civil war;
Elizabeth, born Feb. 13, 1848, died in in-
fancy; Annie, born June i, 1849, <^^is'l '^^ the
age of twenty-four years; Henry, born Jan.
10, 1850, married Ellen Ebersole, and lives
in Fairview township, and Amanda, born Nov.
10, 1850, wife of John Ryan, died at the age
of twenty-four years.

Emanuel Snyder attended the pay and free
schools until he was nineteen years of age and
remained at home until his thirty-fifth year.
In 1862 he married Barbara Keister, daughter
of Michael and Margaret (Kreger) Keister.
of Newberry township, and at the death of his
father bought the old home in Fairview town-
ship, which consists of 150 acres of finely
cultivated, productive farm Irnd. The resi-
dence on the farm was built in 1810 and is
still in good condition. Mr. Snyder's fdier
bought the farm in 1851.

These children have been born to 'Sir. and
Mrs. Emanuel Snyder : Mary, born JMarch 25,

1865, married John Kautz, and they live in
Newberry township; Jacob K., born Sept. 15,

1866, married Clara Struck, and they live in
Fairview township: Henry K., born May 21,
1869, married Catherine Means, and they re-
side in Wilmington, Del., where she was born :
Michael K., born Oct. 14, 1872, married
Sarah Fisher, and they make their home in
Fairview township; John K., bom Sept. 14,
1876 married ]\Iiriam Prowell, and they are
living at Emigsville; Franklin K., born Dec.



6 14



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



13, 1S81. married Effie Kunkle, of Lewis-
berry, Pa., and resides at home, assisting his
father: and Charlotte, Margaret and Edward,
who all died young.

Air. Snyder has been director of the Fair-
view Mutual Fire Insurance Company, for a
period of twenty years. In politics he is a
Republican and in the' service of that party
has always been active, and has served as in-
spector of elections. Plonest and upright in
all of his dealings, Mr. Snyder is highly es-
teemed in Fairview township.

GEORGE LICHTENBERGER, one of
the venerable, highly respected and retired
farmers of East Manchester township, who be-
longs to one of York county's old families, was
bom Sept. 8, 1829, in Manchester township,
son of George and grandson of Caspar Licht-
enberger.

Caspar Lichtenberger was born in York
county on the old homestead, the deed for
which bears the date of Sept. 12, 1745, was
signed by Thomas and Richard Penn, and is
now a precious relic in the possession of
George Lichtenberger. It is a matter of his-
tory that Caspar Lichtenberger took the con-
tract to construct the Harrisburg turnpike. He
married Magdalena Neiman, and his death oc-
curred in 1834; both he and his wife were
buried at the cemetery adjoining Quickel's
Church, in Conewago township. To himself
and his wife were born the following children :
George, Sr., the father of our subject; Ru-
dolph, who died in East Manchester town-
ship; Benjamin, who died in East Manches-
ter township and was buried there; Henry,
who died in East Manchester township ; Sam^
uel, who died young; and Eve, who died in
Manchester township. Caspar Lichtenberger
was a man of energy and courage, accom-
plished much good work and was able to leave
a large estate to his family.

George Lichtenberger, Sr., was born in
1794 in Manchester township, and received a
common-school education. He was a farmer
all his life, buying the old homestead, adding
another 145 acres of land to the original tract,
and later buying of Jacob Strickler 224 acres
of land known as the River Hill farm, which
our subject improved and upon which he built
fine, substantial buildings. During his life
Mr. Lichtenberger was also a distiller. His
death occurred July 15, 1854, and he was



buried in Ouickel's cemetery at Conewago. In
1820 he married Mary Ann Loucks, a
daughter of Jacob Loucks, and when she
died in 1889 she was buried beside her
husband. The children born to them were ;
Henry died in York; Sarah Ann died when
nineteen years of age; Margaret died at the
ag'e of seventeen; George; Elizabeth, de-
ceased, married Henry Bear; Samuel married
Susan Rutter, who died in 1905, and was
buried at Prospect Hill cemetery; Mary mar-
ried George Wolf, died at Mt. Wolf and is
buried at Manchester; Leah married Allen
Litzenberger, and lives in Decatur, 111. ; and
Jesse died young.

George Lichtenberger attended the town-
ship's schools and the graded schools in York
for three sessions, until the age of twenty-four.
He taught school in this township, one term
te the Sipe's school, and one term at Bril-
linger's. In 1858 he married Phoebe Prowell,
daughter of Samuel and Ann (McGary)
Prowell, born in Fairview, Manchester town-
ship, then called Liverpool. At the death of his
father Mr. Lichtenberger fell heir to the River
Hill farm, which for many years he con'tinued
to operate and improve, but latterly has re-
linquished it to other hands, considering that
the weight of advanced years has earned him
relief from such burdens.

To George Lichtenberger and his wife the
following children have been born : Carrie,
who died at the age of eleven years; Edward,
who married Nellie Henry, and is a jeweler
at Reading; William, who married Carrie
Gardner, and is in the tinning business at Red
Lion, York county; Margaret, who married
E. S. Eyster, and lives in York; Annie, who
married C. R. Koop, and died in Baltimore;
and George, who died at the age of four years.
Mr. Lichtenberger is a Dunkard in faith,
while his wife is a member of the United
Brethren Church. He is well and favorably
known, and is regarded with high esteem
throughout York county.

GEORGE MUNCHEL (deceased), who
was well known in the business world of York
county, was a native of Oberwaesting, Ba-
varia, Germany, born Dec. 12, 1823. His
parents were poor, and he early commenced to
learn a trade that he might become self;-sup-
porting. He completed his apprenticeship as
a shoemaker, and on July 2, 1847, came to



BIOGRAPHICAL



6r-



'America. For some months after his arri\'al
he was located in Baltimore. In that citjr, at
St. Alphonsus Catholic church, Aug. 20, 184S,
he was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth
Elsesser, who was bom in Bavaria, German)-,
July 12, 1823, and whom he had met on his
voyage to the United States.

In the fall after their marriage the young
couple came to York, and their first home was
on South Peon street, later at No. 244 West
Market street, the latter place being now
known as the "Alveni." Mr. Miunchel applied
himself to his trade with great success until
about 1876, W'hen for some few years he en-
gaged in the hotel business, conducting the
"Ninth Ward House." During the years he
was engaged in the shoe business he had the
largest establishment of its kind in the town,
employing a number of hands in the manufac-
ture of boots and shoes. He also carried a fine
line of custom-made shoes. Although quiet
and reserved in his manners, he was one of the
best known men in the town, and he had warm
friends all over the county. His business
methods were above reproach, and it was his
upright character and genial manners that
earned for him the popularity and honest re-
spect in which he was held. In 1890 he re-
tired from active business, and his lamented
death occurred Aug. 17, 1902. His good wife
had preceded him some years before, passing
away June 4, 1893. They were faithful mem-
bers of the Catholic Church, and Mr. Munchel
had assisted in the erection of the first Catholic
church in York.

To George and Elizabeth Munchel was
born a family of nine children, (i) John, born
Sept. 20, 1849, died at the age of two and one-
half years. (2) Mary, born July 23, 1851,
died aged eight j^ears and four months. (3)
Margaret, born July 19, 1853, married Con-
stantine Bittner, of Columbia, Pa., and died
Feb. 12, 1876. (4) Anthony was born Sept.
I, 1855. (5) x\gnes, born Jan. 20, 1858, died
unmarried March 4, 1881. (6) John, born
Jan. 8, i860, was a cigar-maker and was fore-
man in the shop of his brother Anihony. He
had also learned the barber's trade. His death
occurred July 3, 1900, his wife, formerly Mol-
lie Meter, and six children surviving and resid-
ing in York. (7) Albert, born Feb. 2y, 1862,
resides in York, where he is employed in the
postoffice. (8) Rosina E., born June i, 1864,
married George Mann, of York, senior member



of the firm of Mann & Co.. contractt rs and
dealers in stone. (9) Francis Xa\ier, Ijoni
April 19, 1867, died Sept. 22, 1878.

Anthony Munchel has spent his entire-
life in the city of York, and there where he is
so well known, he stands high in the estimation
of his friends and acquaintances as a man of
sterling integrity and business sagacity. He
learned the shoe trade with his father at an
early age, but, finding that the work was not
conducive to his health, abandoned it after
some years and learned the cigar-maker"s trade.
He began for himself in a small way, grad-
ually increasing his business until his estab-
lishment and his goods were known all over
this part of the country. He gave his atten-
tion to the manufacture of the best quality of
cigars, and some twenty-three years ago
opened a store in connection with his factory,,
there carrying a complete line of cigars, to-
bacco and smokers' supplies and doing both
a wholesale and a retail business. He has
been identified with various enterprises in the
city, and has always had the best interests o£
his town and county at heart, being ever ready
to give of his time or means to further their
interests. He was a member of the first city
council of York, representing the Ninth ward,
and has always been a stanch Democrat.

In May, 1881, Mr. Munchel was married
to Miss Annie Louisa Palmtag, of York, and
they have two children : Beata E. and Flor-
ence R. Mr. Munchel has been a lifelong
member of St. Mary's Catholic Church, which
his family also attend. He has been connected
with the choir for thirty-two years, and his
daughter, Beata E.,, is the organist. Fra-
ternally he is a member of the Knights of St.
Paul, Knights of Columbus and St. Patrick
Association.

ANDREW F. McCLEARIE, the owner .
of a 106-acre farm in Lower Chanceford town-
ship, was born March 7, 1836, on the old Mc-
Clearie homestead about one-half mile from his
present farm.

Andrew McClearie, the great-grandfather
of Andrew F., was born in County Tyrone,
Ireland, and came to America prior to the
Revolution. He first settled near Guinston
church, and acquired 400 acres of land, some
of which he took up as government land and
some of which he bought outright. The land
is now included in the Showalter, the Nelson



6i6



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Gemmell and the William Gemmell farms, as
well as Mr. McClearie's property of io6 acres.
Eighty-three acres of this land has always been
in the JMcClearie family. Andrew Mc-
Clearie's first home, which was built in
1788. was burned to the ground, and in 1800
he re-built. It was a stone house, which
stands on the farm of Roy Showalter, and
there Andrew McCIearie lived until his death.
One of his older sons, Andrew (2), received
part of this land — a tract of 159 acres — and
followed farming all of his life. He married
Ann Fullerton and died on his farm, where
his wife also passed away. They were both
buried at the cemetery at Chanceford church,
in which the family had worshipped. They
had children as follows : Andrew, who died
in his j'outh; William, the father of Andrew
F. ; Isabella, who died single ; and Mary, who
married Samuel Kirkwood.

W'illiam McCIearie was born in a small log
house, which stood on a hill on his father's
farm, in 1796. He was reared to a farmer's
life, but learned the trade of cooper and mill-
w-right, the latter of which he followed most
of his life. He married, Oct. 25, 1826, his
wife being a daughter of John McCIearie, who
was a brother of Andrew, the grandfather of
Andrew F. Mrs. McClearie's mother's name
was Patterson. Mr. and Mrs. William Mc-
CIearie were members of the Chanceford
Presbyterian Church. Mr. McCIearie was a
Democrat in politics and served for a term as
constable of the township. He died in 1873,
while his wife survived until 1876. The chil-
di-en born to this couple were as follows : One



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 117 of 201)