Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 118 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 118 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


died in infancy ; Isabella born April 30,
1828, married, Sept. 4, 1856, William Rey-
burn, and died in 1882; Margaret Mitchell,
is deaeased; Ann, born July 24, 1833, died
unmarried : Andrew Fullerton is mentioned
below; John Patterson, born Aug. 19, 1838,
married Lydia Kempton, and located at Santa
Rosa, .Cal. ; Nathan William, born March 25,
1841, died in boyhood; Agnes, born Dec. 12,
1846, died in childhood.

Andrew Fullerton McCIearie was reared to
agricultural life and attended the old log
school known as the Chanceford school. The
desks were built around the walls, of rough
boards, and the seats were also made of unfin-
ished pine boards. The studies were reading,
writing, spelling and arithmetic, the reading be-
ing principally from the Bible. The teachers



were sometimes efficient, but the majority
were not, and Mr. McCIearie recollects that
they were the kind that did not spare the rod.
At the age of twenty years he spent three
months learning the carpenter's trade with
William Howett, of Fawn township, with
whom he remained six years. The first wages
Mr. McCIearie received were $6 per month,
from that sum being advanced successively to
$11, $16 and $19, the last named being the
top notch of wages paid at that time.

Mr. McCIearie was drafted into service
in the Civil war, and was mustered in Nov.
12, 1862, to serve a nine months' term in Com-
pany I, i66th P. V. I., served his full time,
most of which was spent stationed at Suf-
folk, Va., and was discharged at Harrisburg
with an honorable record. After his term of
service had expired Mr. McCIearie returned
home, and resumed his trade of carpentering,
in his spare time attending to his farm. In
1878 he abandoned his trade and devoted his
whole time to farming, working but once at
carpentering after that year, when he built a
barn for John Kilgore.

In 1872 Mr. McCIearie married Miss Ellen
Grove, daughter of Thomas and Mary
(Thompson) Grove. Mrs. ^McCIearie was
born in 1835, and died in 1901. She had been
a devoted member of the U. P. Church at Air-
ville from girlhood, and was a good Christian
woman. Mr. McCIearie joined the Chance-
ford Presbyterian Church before marriage,
and later became a member of the Pine Grove
Presbyterian Church. In politics he is a
stanch Republican. One child was born to
Mr. and Mrs. McCIearie, Mary J., who re-
sides at home with her lather.

EDWIN S. MINNICH. The enterprise,
industry and determination essential to a suc-
cessful career in any field of human endeavor,
are possessed in a significant degree by Ed-
win S. Minnich, who conducts a large and
prosperous business at Brillhart, where he is a
dealer in agricultural impleynents and ma-
chinery, and also retains a general supervision
of his fine York township farm. He was born
on a farm in Spring Garden township, York
county, Dec. 7, 1852, son of Reuben F. Min-
nich, who was one of the honored and influen-
tial citizens of that section of the county.

The first representative of the Minnich
family in York county was Simon Minnich,



BIOGRAPHICAL



617



the great-grandfather of Edwin S., and the
name has been identified with the annals of the
State from a very early period in its history,
as is evident from the fact that this Simon
Minnich was born in Berks county, Pa., about
the year 1756. It is ascertained that he made
his advent in York county on or about the 7th
of April, 1786, and settled in Spring Garden
township, where he took up- a large tract of
wild land and forthwith reclaimed it from the
wilderness. A portion of this land is still in
the possession of his descendants. He also
became the owner of a large tract in Manches-
ter township, where he passed the closing years
of his life. Of the children of this worthy
pioneer ancestory his namesake, Simon, Jr.,
was the grandfather of the subject of this
sketch.

Simon Minnich, Jr., was born in Spring
Garden township, York county, in 1786, and
was reared amid the environments and influ-
ences of the pioneer era, early beginning to lend
his aid in the task of developing and cultivat-
ing the home farm, while his educational ad-
vantages were, of course, limited, owing to the
exigencies of time and place. He became a
successful farmer of Spring Garden township,
continuing to reside on the old homestead
until the close of his life and ever retaining
the high regard of his fellow-men. His re-
mains rest in the Prospect Hill cemetery, in
his native township, as do also those of his
beloved and devoted wife, whose maiden name
was Lena Geiselman. They had three sons —
George, Simon and Reuben F., all of whom are
now deceased. The daughters were Harriet,
Lena and Susan, all being deceased except
Lena.

Reuben F. Minnich, father of Edwin S.,
was born on the ancestral homestead, in Spring
Garden township. May 14, 1824, and there
was reared to maturity, receiving a good com-
mon-school education and in due time making
for himself a place among the prominent and
successful farmers of the county, while he so
ordered his life in all its relations as to gain
and retain the confidence and esteem of all
Avith whom he came in contact, being a man of
sterling integrity and one who stood as an
exponent of the highest type of citizenship.
He eventually purchased the old homestead
upon which he was born, and there continued
to reside until he was summoned to that "un-
discovered country from whose bourne no



traveler returns," his death having occurred
on Oct. 14, 1894, while interment was
made in the Prospect Hill cemetery, where rest
the bodies of his honored parents. In 1851
was solemnized the marriage of Reuben F.
Minnich to Miss Elizabeth Spangler, who was
born in Jackson township, York county, in
the year 1829, being a daughter of Zacharias
Spangler, who was a member of one of the
prominent pioneer families of the county. Mrs.
Minnich survived her husband and now resides
in the city of York. She is a devoted member
of the Lutheran church, while her husband be-
longed to the German Reformed church. In
his political afiiliations Mr. Minnich was a
Democrat. Of their children Edwin S., of
this sketch, w^a-s the first born; Emma is the
wife of Aaron F. Loucks, of Spring Garden
township; Agnes married Abraham Kauf?-
man and is now deceased; Leander, who mar-
ried Clara Illyes, resides on the old liomestead
in Spring Garden township, having inherited
the property after his father's death ; Ezra P.
married Miss Mary Seigle and they reside in
the city of York; Priscilla and Simon died in
childhood ; Flora B. and Rosa E. are twins, the
former being the wife of Newton Glatfelter,
of York, while the latter is unmarried and re-
sides with her mother jn York.

Edwin S. Minnich secured his early edu-
cational discipline in the public schools of his
native township, while he continued to be as-
sociated with his father in the work and man-
agement of the home farm until he had at-
tained the age of twenty-seven years. Shortly
after his marriage he located on his present
place, which is one of the model farms of York
township, comprising seventy-seven acres of
most arable and productive land, while the im-
provements are of superior order, including a
commodious and attractive residence and other
substantial and well equipped buildings. Mr.
Minnich gave his undivided attention to the
management of his farm until 1897, when he
embarked in the implement business at Brill-
hart, a station on the line of the Northern
Central railway, and in the immediate vicinity
of his homestead farm. There he erected a
large warehouse, which affords accommoda-
tion for his extensive stock of farming imple-
ments and machinery of the best standard man-
ufacture, while his business shows a satisfac-
torv increase in scope and importance each
successive year. The enterprise is one of the



6i8



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



largest of its kind in this part of the county,
and its proprietor is known as a progressive,
rehable and enterprising business man. In
addition to the farming implements of minor
order he also handles all kinds of farm ma-
chinery, including grain drills, binders, mow-
ers, rakes, tedders, horse powers, threshers,
separators, grain fans, farm wagons and other
vehicles, plows, spring harrows, spike har-
rows, rollers, corn planters and shellers, feed
cutters, silos, etc. During a portion of each
season also Mr. Minnich is on the road as
traveling salesman for one of the leading silo
manufactories of the Union. In politics he is
a stanch advocate of the principles of the Dem-
ocratic party, while he has ever shown a loyal
interest in public affairs of a local nature, hav-
ing served as township auditor and county
committeeman, of which latter office he was
an incumbent for three terms. He was reared
in the faith of the Lutheran Church, but is not
formally identified with any religious body;
his first wife was a consistent and active mem-
ber of the Lutheran Church.

On Dec. 2T), 1879, Mr. Minnich was united
in marriage to Miss Ellen A. Henry, who was
born in Springfield township, July 29, 1854,
being a daughter of John R. and Lydia Hemy.
No children were born to this union. Mr.
Henry was a member of one of the old and
prominent families of the county and was an
influential citizen and prosperous farmer of
Springfield township. He was at one time
county poor director, while he also served with
marked acceptability in the various township
oifices. Mrs. Minnich was summoned to
eternal rest Dec. 22, 1902, and her remains
were interred in the Schusters Church ceme-
tery, Springfield township. She was a woman
of gracious personality and had a wide circle
of friends in her native county. On May 14,
1905, Mr. Minnich was joined in the holy
bonds of matrimony to Mrs. Ida C. (Smith)
Gotwalt, widow of William Gotwalt, and a
native of Washington township, York county.

JOHN HENRY ANDERSON, of Fawn
township, was born on the old homestead near
Fawn Grove, York county, at present the resi-
dence of Reed W. Anderson, Sept. 9, 1835,
son of Joseph Reed and Elizabeth (Wilson)
Anderson. The paternal grandparents were
John and Agnes (Duncan) Anderson, both of
whom were born near Felton, York county,



and always lived in that section. Their chil-
dren were ; James and Robert, of Illinois ;
David, of Kentucky; William, who died in
Fawn township, unmarried ; Easter, who mar-
ried Thomas McAllister ; and Joseph Reed.

Joseph Reed Anderson, who died in 1873,
chose for his wife Elizabeth Wilson, and to
their union were born children as follows :
John H. ; Joseph W., of Stewartstown, a di-
rector of the York County Agricultural So-
ciety, president of the Stewartstown railway,
and a director of the Stewartstown First Na-
tional bank; Reed W., of Fawn township;
Agnes M., wife of J. A. C. Gailey; J. Ellen,
wife of D. A. Wilson, of Gatchellville ; Sarah
E., Mrs. Zenas Dougherty, and Rachel A.,
wife of John M. Brown. Mrs. Elizabeth
(Wilson) Anderson, who died in 1882, was a
daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Wilson, the
latter of whom belonged to the well-known
Manifold family. The other children of Mr.
and Mrs. Wilson were : four sons, who died
in early manhood ; Rachel, Mrs. John Wiley^
of Fawn Grove; Jane, wife of Jacob Gladden,,
of Rocks, Md. ; Mary, Mrs. Robert Kilgore;-
Sarah, wife of Samuel Wallace, of Pylesville,,
Md., and Martha, wife of James Galbreath,
of Highland, Maryland.

John H. Anderson was educated in the
public schools of Fawn township, and after
finishing his education engaged in farming,
which has since been his main occupation, al-
though of late he has given over the manage-
ment of his farms to one of his sons. He has
since been a figure in the local business world,
and was one of the founders of the First Na-
tional Bank of Delta, of which he is still a di-
rector. He is also an active worker in the
Center Presbyterian Church, in which his
father was an elder for many years and where
he serves as a trustee. In 1867 Mr. Anderson
was married to Elizabeth, daughter of David
and Jane (Manifold) Wilson, and to their
union have been born : Joseph Clay, who mar-
ried Emma Lanius, and is in business in Stew-
artstown; Harry M., who has entire charge
of his father's farming interests, and D. Ross,
who holds a clerical position with his brother,
Joseph Clay.

Both the Wilson and Manifold families,
with which Mrs. Anderson is connected, have
long been well-known in Pennsylvania. David
Wilson, Mrs. Anderson's father, was one of
three sons — David, John and James. His wife.



BIOGRAPHICAL



619



ivho was Jane ^Manifold, was one of a family of
ten, as follows : Jane; Eliza, Mrs. Salem Mani-
fold; Ellen, Mrs. John Manifold; Mary, wife
of David .Collins; Sarah, wife of Robert
Smith; Amanda, Mrs. Matthew McCall ; Al-
exander and Joseph Wilson (twins), Clarkson
and Samuel, who are all deceased. David and
Jane Wilson were themselves the parents of
Elizabeth, Mrs. Anderson ; James, of Minne-
sota ; Henry, deceased ; Alexander ; John H. ;
Amanda J., wife of William N. MCi\lister,
of Laurel, Pa., and Helena, who died in child-
hood. The Wilsons and Andersons alike are
of Scotch-Irish ancestry and inherit in a
marked degree the sterling qualities of that
sturdy race. Many of them have been dis-
tinguished both in peace and war; James,
Henry and Alexander Wilson all served in the
Civil war, and the very names carry with them
the assurance of genuine manliness, honor and
ability.

For several years Mr. Anderson has been
interested in the project of building a line of
railroad between Stewartstown and Fawn
Grove, and in February, 1905, the New Park
& Fawn Grove Railroad Co. was organized
and incorporated with the following officers :
John H. Anderson, president; John C. Wiley,
vice-president; J. A. Gailey, secretary; and A.
M. Strawbridge, treasurer. The board of di-
rectors consists of Simon G. Low, H. C. Mc-
Elwain, A. M. Strawbridge, B. F. Morris,
Milton E. Smith, N. A. Manifold. J. A. Gailey.
J. Wiley Norris, J. W. Anderson, R. W. An-
derson, W. R. We])b, Maurice Davis, R. S.
McDonald, H. S. Merryman, John C. Wiley,
A. W. Webb and M. W. Bahn. The road
was to be completed early in 1906.

DAVID H. STROMINGER, a retired
farmer of Fairview township, was born there
March 25, 1833, and is of German origin, be-
ing a son of John Strominger and a grandson
of Michael Strominger. Jacob Strominger,
the great-grandfather of David H., married
Magdalena Haas in 1761, and was one of the
early settlers of Hellam township, York county,
where he followed farming all of his lite. His
son, Michael, was born in that township, and in
1802 located near Lewisberry borough, Fair-
view township, where he bought a tract of
land, consisting of about 300 acres, upon
which he followed farming and distilling.
With Dr. Lewis, of Lewisberrv. Mr. Strom-



inger purchased a tract in Xewberry townships
for which they paid $10,000. After 'Sir.
Strominger had bought the interest of Dr.
Lewis he was offered $5,000 for the land,
which offer he refused, and was later obliged to
accept $2,500 for the property. Michael
Strominger married Rachael Peterman, of
York, and died at the age of seventy-seven
years, his wife surviving him until her eighty-
seventh year. She was buried at St. John'-i
Lutheran cemetery at Lewisberryi, Fairview
township, and he was interred in the old Lu-
theran cemetery opposite Lewisberry. The
following children were born to them : Jacob,
who died in 1849; Michael, who died in 1873;
Daniel, who died at the age of seventeen years ;
John, who died young; John (H), the father
of David H. ; Henry, who lived to the age of
sixty-eight years; Elizabeth, married Benjamin
Millard and died in Fairview township ; Mary,
married Henry Grissinger, and died in Fair-
yiew township; Catherine, married George
Traver and died in the same township ; Re-
becca, married Henry Drorbaugh, and died
there, and Sarah, who married John Millard,
died in Conewago township.

John Strominger, the father, was born in
1807, in Fairview township and received a
common-school education. At the age of
eighteen years he drove a team to Baltimore
for his father, and followed this occupation
for a few years. At the age of tw-enty-five Mr.
Strominger married Rachel Kilmore, a daugh-
ter of David and Elizabeth (Malone) Kilmore,
and for a time after that event he farmed on
the homestead on shares. At the death of his
father, Mr. Strominger boug'ht the home-
stead, where he remained until his death, in
1876, in his sixty-ninth year. Mrs. Strom-
inger was born in 1810, and lived to the ripe
old age of eighty years. Both she and her hus-
band are buried at the St. John's Lutheran
cemetery. In politics he was a Democrat. The
children born to this worthy couple were : Da-
vid H. ; Harriet, who married J. F. Zinn, lives
in Fairview township; Ehzabe)h, [living in
Upper Allen township, Cumberland county, is
the widow of Samuel B. Timmer; Alichael K.,
married Catherine Hobaugh, and died in York
in 1886, being buried at St. John's Lutheran
cemetery; Catherine Ann, lives at Lisburn,
Cumberland county; Jacob, died at the age of
fourteen years ; Rebecca, married William B.
Laird and died in Fairview township ; Rachel,



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



married J. A- Kann and lives at Lisburn, Cum-
berland county, and John Andrew, who mar-
ried Adehne Eichelberger, hves on the old
homestead in Fairview township.

David H. Strominger received his educa-
tion in the township schools, attending them
until twenty-one years of age. He then as-
sisted his father for five years; then farmed
on shares for his father seven years, after
which he bought the homestead of seventy-
seven acres which he now owns. He rebuilt his
barn in 1882, and his house, which is one of
the finest 'Stone residences in the county, he
erected in 1884. In 1858 Mr. Strominger mar-
ried Elizabeth V. Hart, a daughter of Isaac
and Elizabeth (Moore) Hart, and the follow-
ing children have been born to this union :
John C, who died at the age of twenty-five
years : Elizabeth, who resides at home ; Elmer
E., who married Ellen Troup, lives at Me-
chanicsburg, Cumberland county; Jacob H.,
David H., Joseph H., and Clyde, all died
young; and Mary H., who lives at Jamison
City, Columbia county, married Gordon Gray,
a ^Methodist minister of the Danville district.
Mr. Strominger has always lived on his farm,
with the exception of two winters, when he
went to Mechanicsburg in order to secure for
his daughter, Mar}' H., the best of educational
advantages. He has been very successful, and
in 1902 was able to retire from active labors,
since which time he has lived a quiet, domestic
life. He has, however, many financial inter-
ests, being a director of the Mutual Fire In-
surance Company, which office he has held for
six years. In politics Mr. Strominger is a
Democrat, favoring Prohibition, and officially
has served three years as school director. He
is identified with the M. E. Church of Lewis-
berry, in which he is 'steward, trustee and
class-leader.

JACOB KIRK SEACRIST, carpenter ;;nd
builder, and chief of the fire department of
York, Pa., is the junior member of the firm of
Adam W. & Jacob K. Seacrist, contractors
and builders, conveniently located at No. 238
South Duke street. In connection with their
constructive operations, the firm operate a
planing mill, engage in stair-building and man-
ufacture all kinds of house furnishings, and
interior decorations for dwellings and churches.
Jacob K. Seacrist is a native of York, born
Dec. 2, 1859, son of Jacob and Mary E. (Kil>
lerj Seacrist.



Jacob Seacrist, the father, was born in
York county, Manchester township, in 1828,
and died in 1892. He was a son of Henry
Seacrist, a native of York county, who was
one of the prosperous farmers of his day. Mrs.
Seacrist was born in Baltimore, Md., but her
parents were natives of Germany. About
i860, Jacob Seacrist embarked in the business
of contracting and building, and continued in
that line until within three years of his demise.
He was a skilled workman and a man of prom-
inence, popular and universally respected.

Jacob K. Seacrist finished his education in
the public schools of York, and at the age of
sixteen commenced to learn the trade of a car- ■
penter under his father. He continued with
him until he was twenty-one years of age,
when he married, and began working as a
journeyman. In 1890, Mr. Seacrist formed a
co-partnership with his father, under the style
of Jacob Seacrist & Sons, which continued
until the death of the former in 1892, when the
present name was adopted, his brother, Adam
W., becoming the senior member. The planing
mill, built in 1878, is 50 x 60 feet, two stories
in height, and fully equipped with the latest
and most improved machinery and appliances,
a large force of men being employed in season.
Both the partners are excellent mechanics and
practical business men, and give their personal
supervision to their work. The volume of their
business shows a healthy and steady increase,
and the firm is numbered among the leaders
in the building trade of York.

Mr. Seacrist married Susan Spangler, who
was born in York, daughter of Adam Spang-
ler, and they are the parents of one son, George
Kirk. Mr. Seacrist has been connected with
the fire deJDartment since his seventeenth year,
and has filled all its offices. For some years,
prior to 1902, he was the assistant chief, -and
when he was chosen in that year to become its
head, the people of York felt that great wis-
dom had been displayed ; and he has proved a
most, efficient official. Fraternally Mr. Sea-
crist is a member of Zeredatha Lodge, No. 451,
A. F. & A. M.; Howell Chapter No. 199, R.
A. M. ; Gethsemane Commandery, No. 75, K.
T.; and Zembo Shrine A. A. O. N. M. S.;
and the Council. Mr. Seacrist is also connected
with York Lodge No. 213,- B. P. O. E. ; the
Improved Order of Heptasophs; the Keystone
Fire Chiefs Association; the York Guardian
Trust Company, and the York City iMarket
Company, as well as other organizations both



BIOGRAPHICAL



621



fraternal and commercial,
he has made his influence
Seacrist are prominent
Street Methodist Church,
esteemed peoi^le. In his
Mr. Seacrist is a valued
publican party, and in Apr
city controller of York.
First ward.



and in all of them
felt. Mr. and Mrs.
members of Duke
and are very highly

political affiliations
member of the Re-

1, 1905, was elected

He resides in the



JOHN F. SNYDER, of Fairview town-
ship, York county, was born Dec. 28, 1839.
in Manchester township, son of Henry
and Mary ( Frey) Snyder. The great-grand-
father of John F. Snyder was Christian Sny-
der, who came from Switzerland with two
brothers, and, coming up the Susquehanna
river, located at the place where the State
capital now stands. Mr. Snyder erected and
owned the first building built there and here it
was that Christian Snyder, the grandfather of
our subject, was born Oct. 27, 1768. He fol-
lowed farming in Manchester township, where
he owned a large tract of land near the well
known Brillinger mill, and there he died Sept.
20, 1839. He married Annie Lehman, born
Oct. 13, 1769, who died July 21, 1834, at the
age of sixty-four years, and both she and her
husband were buried in the family burial
ground in Manchester township. The children
born to this worthy couple were as follows :
John, born Feb. 8, 1793, died April 10, 1863;
Christian, Jr., born Sept. 15, 1795, died in
April, 1877; Jacob, born Feb. 4, 1798, died
July 20, 1882; Abraham, born July 22, 1799,
died at the age of seventy-two years ; Peter,
born Jan. 5, 1801, died at the age of twenty-
one years ; Henry, the father of John F. ; Dan-
iel, born Sept. 10, 1805, died Jan. 20. 1873;
Elizabeth, born May 18, 1808, died May 3.
1 891; and Magdalena, born Aug. i, 18 14, died
Jan. 19, 1900.

Henry Snyder was born in Dauphin county,
Oct. 30, 1802, being two years of age when
he was brought to Manchester township, where
he reached manhood and engaged in farming.
He later removed to Fishing Creek Valley,
Fairview township, where he bought a fine
farm, upon which he died July 12, 1887. Mr.
Snyder was one of the charter members of the
Fairview Mutual Fire Insurance Co., and was
well known in business circles as a man of
honesty and integrity. He married Marj^
Frey (born March 8, 1816), and died at mid-



night, July 12, 1887. His wife passed
away Aug. 20, 1856; both are buried at Salem
Church, in Fairview township. The children
born to Mr. and Mrs. Snyder were as follows :



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 118 of 201)