Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 12 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 12 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


sional career. The Lewises have ranked among
the old and influential residents of this section



58



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



of the State for many years, and many of the
family have become eminent as jurists, and
made their mark in the business world.

Melchinger Robert Lewis, father of Rob-
ert J., was perhaps best known as a manufac-
turer of agricultural implements, although he
was also interested in a shoe factory and had
other business interests. He was born at
Dover, York county, and lived there until 1871,
in that year removing to York, where he died
April 29, 1888, before he was fifty years old.
He was active in the affairs of his day, and
while York was still a borough he was nomi-
nated for the position of chief burgess. Being
a strong Republican he was defeated, but only
by a small vote, though the town was over-
whelmingly Democratic. Mr. Lewis was the
last sealer of weights and measures for York
county under the old law.

Melchinger R. Lewis married Justina Maul,
daughter of Jacob Maul, a farmer of Jackson
township, York county, whose ancestors came
from the Palatinate. Mrs. Lewis, who sur-
vives her husband, was born Jan. 19, 1842.
Eight children were born to them, five of
whom survive, the deceased being Elmer Clay
and Rebecca Mary, who died in infancy, and
Rush Webster, who died Dec. 24, 1893, in his
seventeenth year. Of the living: Samuel S.
is an attorney at law and postmaster of the
city of York; Melchinger O., is assistant super-
intendent of the York Manufacturing Com-
pany ; Laura J. is at home ; Anna J. is a grad-
uate of the York high school and of the State
Normal School at Millersville, and is now en-
gaged in teaching; and Robert J. is the subject
of this sketch.

Robert J. Lewis was born Dec. 30, 1864,
in Dover, and received his early education in
the public schools there and in the York high
school. His legal training was gained in the
Yale Law School, from which he was gradu-
ated in 1 89 1, being first admitted to practice
in the courts of Connecticut. He was admitted
to practice in the York county courts Au,^. 3,
1 89 1, and later to the Supreme court, and un-
til December, 1900, he maintained an office
with the late A. N. Green. He has always been
interested in local affairs, as well as in the
broader matters affecting the general wel-
fare, and in 1893 was elected a member of the
board of school control from the Ninth ward
of York; he was re-elected in 1897 and again



in 1903, and at present is serving as chair-
man of the teachers' committee. From 1895
to 1897 he served as city solicitor of York. In
1896 he was the Republican candidate for
mayor of the City of York, and was finally de-
clared defeated by a vote of 17, although un-
prejudiced people were free to assert that he
had been elected. Two and a half years later,
in the fall of 1898, he was partially vindicated,
the city (although then Democratic) giving
him a majority of 896 against Hon. E. D.
Ziegler, by whom, however, he was defeated
in the district, for Congress, Mr. Lewis hav-
ing been put on the Republican ticket only six
weeks before the election. In 1900, with H.
N. Gift as an opponent, Mr. Lewis was elected
representative in Congress of what was then
the Nineteenth Congressional District, com-
posed of Adams, Cumberland and York coun-
ties, by a majority of 986, though President
McKinley lost the district by 1,495 votes. In
this campaign the city of York, which be-
tween 1898 and 1900 had added to it the
Twelfth and Thirteenth wards having Demo-
cratic majorities aggregating about 250, gave
Mr. Lewis a majority of 1,257, and a full
vindication.

In addition to meeting the demands of a
large legal practice, Mr. Lewis is interested
in a number of business enterprises. He is
prominent in the fraternal orders, belonging
to York Lodge, No. 266, F. & A. M. ; he also
belongs to Codorus Council, Jr. O. U. A. M. ;
the B. P. O. E. ; Knights of Malta ; Knights
of the Mystic Circle; Knights of Pythias;
Heptasophs; M. W. A.; P. O. S. of A.; and
other organizations.

Mr. Lewis was married May 17, 1893, to
Miss Anna C. Beeler, daughter of George D.
Beeler, a farmer of West Manchester town-
ship, who now lives retired in York. Mr.
Beeler married Elizabeth Sultzbach, daughter
of Frederick Sultzbach, an ex-member of the
Legislature. Three children have been bom
to Mr. and Mrs. Lewis: Elizabeth, Aug. 29,
1897; George Robert, Aug. 31, 1900; Marian
Justina, March 5, 1902. Mrs. Lewis is an ac-
tive member of St. Paul's Lutheran Church.

MELCHINGER O. LEWIS, consulting
Sanitary Engineer, is also engaged in the
plumbing, steam heating and tinning business
at No. 255 West York street, York, Pa. He



BIOGRAPHICAL



59



is a native of this county, born in Dover, July
14, 1868, son O'f Melchinger R. and Justina
(Maul) Lewis.

Mr. Lewis received his education in tl'e
public schools of York city, and upon leaving
scb.oo] he apprenticed himself to Hantz & Jes-
sop to learn the trade of plumbing, steam fitting
etc. He completed his apprenticeship and re-
mained with that firm until 1890, when he en-
gaged in business in the same line for himself
in ptirtnership with H. H. Haker, the firm do-
ing business under the name of Haker & Lewis.
This partnership lasted for two years when Mr.
Haker withdrew, and Mr. Lewis continued
alone until 1898, when he closed out to accept
a position as foreman of the sheet metal de-
partment of the York Manufacturing Company
— a position he held but one year when he was
promoted to the position of assistant superin-
tendent, thus continuing until April 28, 1906,
when he resigned. He had determined to en-
gage once more in business for himself, and
his many years of valuable experience have
thoroughly equipped him for first class work in
his chosen line. He employs seven experienced
workmen, and his place of business is a model
up-to-date plant, where all work entrusted to
him receives careful attention. He is energetic
and progressive, and a most successful future
is a safe prediction for him.

On Jan. i, 1891, Mr. Lewis was united in
marriage with Sarah J. Ammon, daughter of
William and Mary (Hawkins) Ammon. Two
children have blessed this union : Melchinger
J., born June 2, 1892, and Mary R., born Dec.
8, 1893. Mr. Lewis was made a Mason in
1891, and is past master of Zeredatha Lodge,
No. 451, F. & A. M.; is a member of Howell
Chapter, No. 199, R. A. M. ; a charter member
of Gethsemane Commandery, No. 75, K. T. ;
member of Harrisburg Consistory; and of
Zembo Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. On Dec.
18, 1890, he was made a member of Humane
Lodge, I. O. O. F. ; and he is a charter member
of Linden Camp No. 5375, M. W. A. He has
been active as a member of Vigilant Fire Com-
pany No. I, York, and is in every movement
■for the good and well-being of his city. Mrs.
Lewis is an active worker in Union Lutheran
Church, and is one of the popular teachers in
the Sunday-school.

i

SAMUEL S. LEWIS, attorney at law and
postmaster of the city of York, was bom in



York, Feb. 17, 1874, son of Melchinger R. and
Justina (Maul) Lewis. He received his edu-
cation in the public schools of his native city,
graduating from the York high school in the
class of 1893. Immediately upon his gradu-
ation he secured a civil service position in the
York (Pa.) postoffice, which position he held
until Oct. I, 1898, serving under Hiram Young
and D. A. Minnich. He was then transferred
to the Money Order division of the Washing-
ton (D. C.) postoffice, and within a short time
was promoted to one of the most responsible
positions in the division. Meantime he entered
the Law Department of the Columbian Univer-
sity, in 1898, and graduated from that school-
after a three years' course in June, 1901, on
September 4th of the same year being admitted
as a member of the Supreme Court of the Dis-
trict of Columbia; in the following January
(1902) he was admitted to practice before the
several courts of York county.

Mr. Lewis acted in the capacity of private
secretary to his brother, Hon. R. J. Lewis,
when he represented the 19th Pennsylvania
District in the LVIIth Congress and in a like
capacity to Hon. D. F. Lafean, who repre-
sented the 20th Pennsylvania District in the
LVIIIth and LVIXth Congresses.

If Mr. Lafean has a hobby it is the im-
provement of the postal service in his district,
and as his secretary Mr. Lewis acquired such
intimate knowledge of the conditions at the
York postoffice, that his selection for the post-
mastership was almost inevitable when the time
for a change came. He was not a candidate
for the position, but his practical experience in
the work, together with his thorough under-
standing of the needs of the office gained in
his several years' association with Mr. Lafean
in Washington, made his appointment, on Feb.
7, 1906, particularly appropriate. The York
Dispatch of Feb. 7th had the following to say,
regarding his appointment : "It was Mr.
Lewis who aided Congressman Lafean in giv-
ing the people of York and Adams counties
such excellent mail facilities in the rural dis-
tricts as they enjoy to-day, and next to Con-
gressman Lafean Mr. Lewis is resfarded by the
rural mail carriers and the patrons of each
route as having done more for them than any
other one man in the Twentieth Congressional
District."

Mr. Lewis is the youngest postmaster York
has ever had, he havin? been onlv thirtv-one



6o



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



years old when he was appointed, and the
young RepubUcans of the county and district
were much gratified over the choice. More-
over his many friends among the old soldiers
were also -well pleased, for in his capacity of
private secretary he met many of Mr. Lafean's
constituents, whose universal good-will he ob-
tained by his unfailing courtesy and sincere
work in their behalf. He entered upon the
duties of the office feeling that he had the re-
spect and good wishes of a large following.

EDWARD W. SPANGLER, a leading
lawyer and journalist of York, was born in
Paradise (now Jackson) township, York coun-
ty, Pa., Feb. 23, 1846. While a lad in the
country he performed boy's work on his wid-
owed mother's farm, and during four months
in the winter attended the free school of the dis-
trict. Never relishing agricultural labors, he
abandoned them at the first opportunity, and at
the age of thirteen became a student in the
York County Academy, of which the Great
Commoner, Thaddeus Stevens, was once the
principal. After a year's study he entered as a
clerk one of the leading dry-goods houses of
York. In August, 1862, at the age of sixteen,
lie responded with others to the call of Presi-
dent Lincoln for nine months' volunteers, and
enlisted, becoming a private in Co. K, 130th P.
V. I. After six weeks service in the Army of
the Potomac, he received his first baptism of
fire at the battle of Antietam, in which his com-
pany lost in killed and wounded one-third of
the number engaged. Mr. Spangler fired the
eighty rounds with which he was equipped, and
finding use for more, took ten rounds from the
cartridge box of a dead comrade, eight of
which he discharged before his regiment was
relieved. During the engagement the stock of
Iiis rifle was shattered by a Confederate bullet.

At the battle of Fredericksburg his division,
the Third of the Second Corps, made the initial
and sanguinary charge on Marye's Heights,
■where his colonel was killed at the first fire. At
Chancellorsville his Division was thrown into
the breach to arrest the victorious Confederates
in their headlong pursuit of the routed Elev-
enth Corps. During that terrible Saturday
night, May 2, 1863. his company was fighting
in the front line on the plank road on which
Stonewall Jackson, the same night, was mor-
tally wounded. The following morning Gen-
eral Berry, of Maine, who commanded a Divis-
ion of the 3d Corps, was killed in his Company,



and General Hays, the commander of Mr.
Spangler's brigade, was taken prisoner. Al-
though in the forefront of every battle, Mr.
Spangler was unharmed in each. The term of
enlistment having expired, the regiment re-
turned home and was disbanded.

Upon his return -to civil life he was ap-
pointed Deputy United States Marshal of York
county. He held this office but a few weeks,
when his leg was broken by the kick of an
abandoned Confederate horse, and being inca-
pacitated for active duty he resigned. Upon
convalescence he resumed his studies at the
York County Academy, and also registered as
a student of law. After attending a course of
lectures in the law department of the Univer-
sity of Pennsylvania at Philadelphia, he was
admitted to the York Bar, March 4, 1867. He
soon acquired a very lucrative practice, which
he has since retained. He has practiced in the
neighboring county courts, in the United States
District Court, and in the United States Circuit
Court of Appeals, and is an active practitioner
in the State Supreme Court during the week
appointed for the argument of York County
cases. He has studiously eschewed politics,
save his filling the office of president of the
York Republican Club in 1881, to which he
was elected without his knowledge, and which
position he subsequently resigned, having
joined the independent wing of his party. In
1 88 1 he was one of the principal promoters in
the building of York's beautiful Opera House,
and superintended its first year's management.
He has been active in furthering local progress
and developing home industries. He has also
taken an acti\'e part in the suburban devel'op-
ment of York, and laid out his real estate with
streets extending from North George street
to Cottage Hill, which section is known as
Fairmount. and is now made accessible by two
handsome iron bridges spanning Codonis
Creek.

In January, 1882. Mr. Spangler purchased
the York Dailv and York JVcekly and the ex-
tensive job-printing establishment connected
therewith. With the assistance of his two able
publishing partners, he at once introduced new
features and methods into the conduct of the '
business and infused new life into the publica-
tions, resulting in a very large increase in their
circulation, carrying them to the front of suc-
cessful inland journals. He is president of the
publishing company and owns a controlling in-
terest.




cdu^iiA. //,




BIOGRAPHICAL



6i



In January, 1886, he organized the Span-
gler Manufacturing Company, of which he is
president, a corporation organized under the
laws of this State. The company manufact-
ures a general line of agricultural implements,
which on account of their superior excellence
are sold generally throughout the United
States.

In September, 1873, he married Mary
Frances Miller, and the union has been blessed
with two sons and two daughters. He pos-
sesses great energy and executive ability, is a
sound and able counsellor, and a witty, pun-
gent and forcible writer. [The above from the
Biographical Album of prominent Pennsyl-
vanians, 188Q.I



Mr. Spangler was principally instrumental
in procuring, after a bitter contest with a trio
of graft conspirators, the adoption of the beau-
tiful and classic design of the stately shaft
erected in Penn Park to the memory of the
Soldiers and Sailors of York County engaged
in the great Civil war. He is attorney for the
First National Bank, York, ex-director of the
Farmers' National Bank, York, a member of
the Grand Army of the Republic, of the York
County Historical Society, of the York Society
of the Alumni of the Pennsylvania University,
of the Pennsylvania German Societ3^ of the
Pennsylvania Society of the Sons of the Revo-
lution, vice-president of the York Athletic As-
sociation and president of the York Automo-
bile Club. His children are : Louise M., wife of
Charles C. Frick, vice-president of the Security
Title & Trust Company, York ; Juliet S. Span-
gler ; Edward W. Spangler, Jr., dealer in build-
ers' supjplies and materials ; and Robert S.
Spangler, attorney at law.

In addition to the above sketch, it is fitting
to pay a deserved tribute to Edward W. Span-
gler as a lawyer, journalist, author, soldier and
private citizen.

Besides the "Spangler Annals," with local
historical sketches (pp. 700), of which he is
the author and publisher, and which is every-
where acknowledged to have been the most
valuable local historical publication ever issued
in York county, Mr. Spangler is the author of
a well-printed, profusely illustrated and ex-
ceedingly interesting book entitled "My Little
War Experience, with Historical Sketches
and Memorabilia." The book not only' gives
a modest recital of the experiences of Mr.



Spangler, who enlisted when only sixteen years
of age and weighing ninety-two pounds, as a
private in Company K, 130th P. V". I., but gives
glimpses of Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chan-
cellorsville, and analyzes the causes of the
Civil war, and gives the genesis of the war. All
that appears in the 270 pages of this very in-
teresting volume appeared in serial stories
which were published in the York Daily, and
so generous was the reception of these articles
that Mr. Spangler felt impelled to publish them
in book form. It is a book that ought to find a
place in every home in York county.

After a journalistic career of twenty-two
years, during all of which, however, he was
primarily devoted to the practice of his honored
legal profession — he is a hale, hardy man, en-
dowed with a fine physique and strong men-
tality, devoting himself to his profession and
to his business affairs, of which he has many.
While he will be long remembered as lawyer
and jovirnalist, the tokens by which he will be
known for the longest time will be his two
books — "The Spangler Annals," and "My
Little War Experience," both of which have
elicited highly complimentary notices and re-
views from the press of the Eastern States.

["W. K."]

JOHN S. HIESTAND, a prominent
farmer and fruit grower, and leading citizen
of Springetsbury township, was born at the
Hiestand homestead^ three miles east of York,
May 8, 1837. He obtained his education in
the private schools near his home and at the
York County Academy. He spent the early
years of his life on his father's farm and at the
"Hiestand Hotel," one of the most popular
hostelries in southern Pennsylvania. In 1870
Mr. Hiestand moved to the large brick man-
sion built by his grandfather, Abraham Hie-
stand, in the year 1828. He has since devoted
most of his time to the cultivation of his fertile
and productive farm. This valuable land has
been owned by himself and ancestors for nearly
a century. It is situated in the heart of the
great York valley, known far and wide for its
rich alluvial soil and the growth of abundant
crops. About twenty years ago Mr. Hiestand
began to devote his attention to fruit culture.
On his farm he has one of the finest and most
productive orchards in the county of York. He
owns a large apple orchard containing several
hundred) trees, which yearly bear abundant



62



HISTORY OF YORK CO;UNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



crops of the famous York Imperial and other
varieties of apples. He has raised as many as
.3,CXX3 bushels of apples in one year, growing
the largest crop — of 3,200 bushels — in the year

^^9- . . ,,

Soon after he attamed his majority Mr.
Hiestand became active in Democratic politics.
From 1857 to 1900 he was a prominent figure
in the county Democratic conventions, which
-on numerous occasions he served as the presid-
ing officer. He has several times been a dele-
gate for his party to the State conventions.
In the fall of 1877 he was the nominee on the
Democratic ticket for the office of register of
wills, and owing to his personal popularity he
received the highest vote on the ticket. He
•served in this office with ability and credit from
January, 1878, to January, 1881. Mr. Hie-
stand held a position in the United States
Revenue service at York for a period of five
years. Since his retirement from this posi-
tion he has devoted his entire attention to
agricultural pursuits, enjoying the compan-
ionship of a large circle of friends in his de-
lightful rural retreat. He has always been in-
terested in public education and served for
nineteen years as a school director in the town-
ship where he resides.

On Nov. 17, 1857, Mr. Hiestand was mar-
ried to Annie M. Oldweiler, daughter of Philip
and Mary (Gish) Oldweiler. They have two
•children : T. B. G. Hiestand, a prominent citi-
zen of York, and Katie, married to Elmer E.
JFrey, coal merchant of York. T. B. G. Hie-
stand and his wife have two children, namely :
John Fallon and Frances Mary. Elmer E.
Frey and wife have also two children, namely :
S. Hiestand Frey and Helen L.

Jacob Hiestand, the first American ances-
tor of John S. Hiestand, came to this country
with his brother, Johannes Hiestand, in Octo-
ber, 1727. They originally lived in Switzer-
land, belonging to the Swiss Mennonites.
William Penn had made a visit to this region
and invited the Mennonites to settle in his
province. This invitation brought to Penn-
sylvania Jacob and Johannes Hiestand, the
ancestors of the Hiestand family in America.
Jacob Hiestand took up a large tract of land
near the present site of Salunga, between Lan-
caster and Mount Joy. One of his sons, Abra-
ham, married Barbara Landing, April 10,
1764. Their children were: Johannes, born
Nov. 27, 1766; Annie, Nov. 29, 1768, and
Abraham, Nov. 16, 1771. Abraham Hie-



stand was a farmer by occupation and died at
the age of thirty-three, one year after his son
Abraham was born.

Abraham Hiestand, grandfather of John
S. Hiestand, grew to manhood at the Hiestand
homestead near Salunga, and in 1792, at the
age of twenty-one, moved to York county, and
settled in Heidelberg township, near Menges
Mills. In 1793 he was married to Ann Fitz,
of Hellam township, near the site of Wrights-
ville. He followed the occupation of distill-
ing and farming from the time he was mar-
ried until 1813, when he purchased the Beard
property in Spring Garden township, along
the Wrightsville turnpike, afterward known
as the "Hiestand Hotel." In 1816 he en-
larged the building to its present dimensions,
50x80 feet, then the largest stone house in
York county. He continued the business of
farming and distilling and also owned and
conducted the "Hiestand Hotel," which was a
prominent stopping place for wagoners before
railroads were built. He owned teams and
conveyed his whiskey to Baltimore, and return-
ed with merchandise. Mr. Hiestand traveled
extensively, and on one occasion went on
horseback from his home to visit Niagara Falls.
He was a man of spirit and enterprise, honest
and industrious, a thrifty agriculturist, and by
adding commercial enterprise and industry to
the cultivation of his large farms he in a few
years accumulated what at that day was con-
sidered a handsome fortune. By his first mar-
riage with Ann Fitz, he had the following chil-
dren : John, Abraham F., William F., Baltzer,
Elizabeth, Nancy, Susan and Sarah. Abra-
ham F. was a farmer in Spring-etsbury town-
ship and married Leah Longenecker ; their chil-
dren were : John, Catherine, Sarah, Christian,
Susan, Amanda, Alice, Abraham, Jacob and
William. William F. married Rebecca Doll,
and had the following children: Herbert,
Annie, Mary, Frank, Maggie and Burd.
Baltzer died unmarried, at the age of twenty.
Elizabeth married Dr. Francis Koch; she died
young, leaving one child, who became the wife
of Vincent K. Keesey. Nancy became the sec-
ond wife of Dr. Francis Koch, and had the fol-
lowing children : Dr. Francis A. H., late of
Hanover; William, jeweler; Edward, jeweler,
and major of the 5th Maryland Regiment in
the Civil war; Catherine, married to William
Schley, of Baltimore ; Mary, married to
Thomas H. Belt, of York; and Henrietta, who
died unmarried. Susan married Dr. Jacob



BIOGRAPHICAL



63



Glatz, of Marietta, and had four children:
Keesey, who died in CaHfornia; Margaret,
wife of D. Wagner Barnitz, and later wife of
Colonel Matthews, of Baltimore; A. Hiestand,
member of State Senate and adjutant-general
of the Pennsylvania militia ; and Thomas Burd,
who died young. Sarah married John Wilson,
of Hellam township.

Abraham Hiestand's first wife died in the
year 1824. In 1826 he married Mrs. Susan
Myers, of Hanover, who after the death of her
husband resided at the Hiestand home, in
Springetsbury township, until her death, June
23, 1865, at the age of eighty-five years.

John Hiestand, the oldest son of Abraham



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 12 of 201)