Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 122 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 122 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


later in Carroll township, York county. His
wife's name is not known, but his children
were : John, Samuel and Mrs. Maria Reed.
Isaac Cook died in the latter part of the eight-
eenth centur}', and he and his wile were
Quakers.

John Cook, the grandfather, lived in Car-
roll township. When Isaac Cook died, the land
he had taken up in Carroll township came into
the hands of John, who in turn gave it to his
son, and the latter his son, W. R. Cook, who
now owns it. John Cook was a prom-
inent man of his day and his death occurred
in 1864, aged eighty-two years, while his wife,
Hannah, died in i860, aged seventy-eight.
They were the parents of these children : Anna
married Daniel Garrison ; Walker, the father
of our subject, -married Martha Gates; John
married Lydia Walker; Mary died at the age
of nineteen years ; Hezekiah died at the age of
twenty-one years ; Hannah married Joseph
Deardorff; and Leah married Jacob Lehmer.
In religious belief Mr. and Mrs. Cook were
Quakers.

Walker Cook was born in Carroll town-



ship in 181 1, and died in 1856. lie was edu-
cated in the rude log school house common in
those days, and received a fairly good educa-
tion. 1-le devoted about twelve years of his
life to blacksmithing, and then purchased a
farm, devoting- the balance of his life to agri-
cultural pursuits. Mr. Cook became very
prosperous, and the property which he owned
is now owned by Henry Speck. Mrs. Martha
(Gates )Cook died in 1892, aged eighty-three
years. The children born to Islr. and Mrs.
Walker Cook were ; Isaac met his death in
a railroad accident ; Anna married ^^^iIliam An-
derson ; Mary married Godfrey Bishop : Heze-
kiah; John married Catherine Pence; Han-
nah married Samuel Arnold; Elizabeth mar-
ried Daniel Pence; Sarah married Jacob Har-
bold; Martha J. married John Aker; Walker
married Mary Kleindenst ; and Joseph married
Elizabeth Evens.

Hezekiah Cook was born in Warrington
township, two and one-half miles from his
present home. He received his education in
the common schools of his neighborhood, and
for a time followed mason work, but at his
father's death he returned home and turned
his attention to farming, which he continued
all his active life, until in 1888 he retired. Mr.
Cook joined the German Baptist Church at
the age of thirty-five, and since 1880 he has
been a minister of the Gospel in that denomi-
nation. Mr. Cook is a well-read man, and a
true friend to the cause of Christianity.

In 1858 ]\Ir. Cook married (first) Eve
Wiley, daughter of George and Catherine
(Burguard) Wiley. Mrs. Cook died in 1885.
aged forty-six years, leaving the following
named children : George W., cashier of the
Dillsburo- bank, married Nancy Beitzel, and
has four children. May, Ralph, Scott and Ray.
Mary C. married Andrew Berkheimer; Ala-
tilda J. married Albert Speck, and they have
had one son, Ray; Oliver ■\\'., a minister of the
German Baptist Church, married Catherine
Wolf, and has had six children, Rc^v D.. \\'al-

ter. Freeman, Albert, Nettie and ; John

E. married Lula .Spohr, and has six children,
Carson, Ruth, Mervin, ^^'ilbert. Paul and
Elizabeth; Margaret A. married Edward Bitt-
ner, and four children have been born to them,
Gretna, Edith, Roy and Lena : Emma D. mar-
ried B. F. Hoffman, and they have three chil-
dren, Norman, Martha and Cathrine; and
Hannah E. married Sah-en Shaeft'er, and thev



6_^.8



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



have one child. Ada Viola. Mr. Cook's second
marriage was to Lena Bui-guard. In his political
belief Mr. Cook was a stanch Whig- and aboli-
tionist, and when the Republican party was
formed he joined its ranks, and has been an
active worker, but never an office seeker. Mr.
Cook is well and favorably known, and is
highly respected throughout Warrington town-
ship.

THEODORE H. WALLICK (deceased),
who was employed for sixteen years in the
York Rolling Mills, and was in the employ of
that company at the time of his death, was
born in Peach Bottom township, York county.
Pa., Nov. 13, 185 1, son of Jacob and Annie
(Steese) Wallick.

John Wallick lives in Pleasureville, York
county. He followed carpentering for many
years, but is now living practically retired. His
wife died in 1903, in her seventieth year. She
was a member of the United Brethren Church,
as is Mr. Wallick. He is a Democrat in politics.

Theodore H. Wallick was educated in the
common schools of York county. When a
young man he was employed for several years
in a flom- and feed mill in Peach Bottom town-
ship, operated by his uncle, George Shaffer. He
then turned his attention to iron ore mining,
which he followed for some time, when Ije
again changed his occupation, securing a po-
sition with the Northern Central railroad, first
as brakeman, and later as a fireman, following
this for some time. He was then promoted to
be conductor, and he continued to follow rail-
roading until 1886, when he left the road to
accept a position in the York Rolling mill,
where he was employed until his death in 1902.

In 1881, Mr. Wallick was married to Miss
Clara J. Patterson, daughter of Andrew Pat-
terson, a native of Whitehall, Cumberland
county. To this union were born seven chil-
dren : Jennie, deceased, who married Abner
Wolfgang; Theodosia, who married George
.Shenberger ; Roy ; Mabel ; Emory ; Clara, de-
ceased ; and Myrtle. Mr. Wallick was a mem-
ber of the Rolling Mill Beneficial Association,
and in politics was a Republican. Mrs. Wal-
lick resides at No. 257 Chestnut street, York.

JACOB TYSON owns and conducts a fine
farm of sixty-five acres in Springfield town-
ship. He was born Feb. 2, 1832, in Windsor
township, York county, son of John Tyson.



Jacob Tyson, the grandfather of our sub-
ject, was a farmer of Windsor township, where
he died, being buried at the Lebanon Church.
He married Elizabeth Lehman, of Lancaster
county, and they had children as follows : Ja-
cob, Benjamin, Nancy, Sallie, Rebecca, Pris-
cilla and John. John Tyson was born in
Windsor township, and there received a good
common school education. He followed farm-
ing in Windsor, York and Springfield town-
ships, and died at the age of forty-seven years.
He married Lyda Flinchbaugh, and she died
aged sixty-seven years, and both were buried
in the Goodling cemetery in Springfield town-
ship. They had these children : John ; Jacob ;
Charles; Henry; Benjamin; Levi, killed in the
battle of Winchester during the Civil war;
Mary, the wife of Adam Diehl ; Leah, the
widow of John Stormer, living at Glen Rock;
and Lydia, the widow of Henry Hildebrand, ,
making her home in Ohio.

Jacob Tyson attended the schools of York
and Springfield to\\'nships until eighteen years
of age, at which time he started to learn the
carpenter's trade with Henry Ehrhart, in
Springfield township. He only followed that
trade for six years, however, and then, in 1855,
he engaged in the milling business, where he
now resides. This mill was built by Jacob
Rinehart in 1828, and is one of the oldest in
the township. The house upon the farm was
built in 1826, and is still in a good state of
preservation, the shingles still remaining on the
roof. Mr. Tyson did a large and lucrative
business in milling, grinding in one year 5,000
bushels of corn, oats and rye for the William
Forest Distilling house. In 1853 he married
Leah Seitz, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth
( Miller) Seitz. Mrs. Tyson is a very skilled
weaver, and still follows that occupation oc-
casionally. Mr. Tyson purchased his present
farm of sixty-five acres, from his father-in-
law. The old mill on the farm has a history
connected with it, one of its sills having been
removed from a building which stood in York
Sc|uare, where the Spahr building now stands.
Mr. Tyson has also engaged in the sawing
and manufacture of cart saddles, having been
engaged in that business for fifteen years, find-
ing a ready market for his goods in Baltimore,
York, and the surrounding country.

To Mr. and Mrs. Tyson have been born :
Malinda, the widow of J. K. Tyon, lives in
Ohio ; and Sarah A. is the wife of Howard



BIOGRAPHICAL



639



Ehrhart, a farmer of Springfield township.
In politics i\Ir. Tyson is a Republican. He at-
tends the E^-angelical Church, in the work of
which he takes a ver}' active part. Mrs. Ty-
son's people are members of an old York
county family.

HENRY HOFF, a retired farmer of York
county, who resides in North Codorus town-
ship, was born in 1829, in Adams county, son
of Henrv Hofif, Sr., and grandson of Adam
Hoff.

Adam Hoff was a farmer of North Codorus
and attained a ripe old age. He and his wife
were interred at Lesher Church in that town-
ship.

Henry Hofif, Sr., was born May 18^ 1786,
and his death occurred Jan. 13, 1850. His
wife, Susan, was born Jan. 29, 1796, and sur-
vived her husband two years, dying March 3,
1852. Both were buried at the Ziegler Church
in North Codorus township. After their mar-
riage, they spent a few years in Adams county,
and then removed to Codorus township, near
Lesher Cluirch, where he had a farm of 219
acres. Their children were as follows ; John,
Adam, Mary, Elizabeth, Henry, Lydia, Caro-
line and Louise, all deceased except Henry,
Caroline (who resides at Hanover, Pa.) and
Adam (who resides in North Codorus town-
ship).

Henry Hoff came to Codorus township
from Adams county, with his father, when a
boy, and received his education in the town-
ship schools. In 1850 he married Rosanna
Emig, daughter of John and Catherine (Car-
baugh) Emig, of Chambersburg-, Franklin Co.,
Pa. They located on the home farm and after
his father's death, Mr. HofT took charge of
the home place, where he remained until 1903,
in which year he purchased a small, two-acre
place, upon which he erected a home, and here
he has made his residence to the present time,
retired from active life.

To Henry Hoff and wife were born chil-
dren as follows: Henry, Jr., a contractor and
builder of York ; Isabella, wife of Henry Shef-
fer of York; and Susan, wife of Nathan Glat-
felter, the well known cigar manufacturer of
Seven Valley. In politics Mr. Hoff is a Dem-
ocrat, and for over forty years has been town-
ship treasurer. He is a member of Ziegler's
Lutheran Church, in which he has served as
deacon and elder, and he has been active in
the work of the Sundav-school.



DAVID E. SAIALL, one of York's most
prominent business men, has been engaged in
business in that city for a number of years,
and holds various positions of trust with sev-
eral large concerns. Mr. Small was born there
Oct. 21, 1867, at at old homestead. No. 153
Market street, and received his education at
the York Collegiate & Commercial Institute,
and at New Haven, Connecticut.

Mr. Small's first business experience was
gained as a clerk in McClellan & Gotwalt's
hardware and grocery store, where he re-
mained two years. He engaged in the manu-
facture of sandpaper for two years, and then,
in company with W. F. Ramsay, engaged m
the real estate and insurance business, trading
as Ramsay & Small. He assumed charge of
the business in 1893, continuing it under the
same name, and was highly successful, repre-
senting the highest grade companies and many
lines of insurance — fire, boiler, accident, health
and liability. Mr. Small is a director of the
Ruth Machine Company, for the manufacture
of hosiery knitting machines, etc., the company,
which is capitalized at $40,000, having an ex-
cellent export trade, and the capacity per an-
num being 1,000 knitting machines, and 2.000
automatic stop motions. Mr. Small is also
secretary and treasurer of the York Automatic
Scale Company, manufacturing automatic
weighing devices for sugar, coffee, seeds, flour,
grain, etc., which machines are greatly in de-
mand among millers and packers.

"Sir. Small was married Nov. 15, 1894, to
Harriet M. Spahr, the youngest daughter of
Air. AI. B. Spahr, whose sketch will be found
elsewhere. Four children have been born to
this union, one dying in infancy. Those living
are: Henry Spahr Small, David E. Small
(HI) and iNIichael Spahr Small.

Mr. Small lielongs to the Outdoor Club, of
which he has been treasurer for ten years. He
also is a member of the First Presbyterian
Church, a teacher in the Sunday-school, and
chairman of the executive committee.

WILLIA]\I HARRISON GABLE is an-
other of York county's able young business
men who is here upholding the prestige of a
name which has long been honored in the his-
tory of the county, and he is at the present
time incumbent of the position of cost clerk
for the York Manufacturing Company. He is
a son of Taylor S. and Julia Alice ( Glad-
felter) Gable, both members of old and hon-



640



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANL\



ored families of the county, and the father
is one of the representative business men of
York, where he is engaged in the wholesale
and retail fruit trade. In his lamily are three
children, — John Morris, who is clerking for
his father; Harry Wayne, who is likewise as-
sociated with his father's business; and Will-
iam Harrison.

William Harrison Gable was born in the
family homestead, in the city of York, May
22, 1872, and his educational discipline was
secured in the public schools, the York County
Academy, in which he was a student about
two years, and in a business college. After
leaving school he became a clerk in his father's
fruit establishment, whei-e he was employed
until May, 1900, when he secured the position
of receiving clerk in the works of the York
Manufacturing Company, being promoted to
the ofifice of time clerk six months later, while
in 1902 he was promoted to his present re-
sponsible position, as cost clerk, in which he
is rendering most effective and acceptable
service.

Mr. Gable is a member of the Union Lu-
theran Church and takes a zealous interest in
its work, being at the time of this writing sec-
retary of its Sunday-school. In politics he is
stanchly arrayed as a supporter of the princi-
ples and policies of the Republican party, in
whose cause he is an enthusiastic worker, and
during the national campaign of 1904, he was
a member of the Eleventh Ward Republican
Club of York.

JAMES KENNEDY, of Lower Chance-
ford township, York county, was born Aug.
I, 1 83 1, in County Tyrone, Ireland, son of
William and Mary Ann (Allen) Kennedy,
the latter of whom died in 1838 in Ireland.

William Kennedy was also born in County
Tyrone, and by occupation he was a linen
weaver and farmer, following the former line
during the winter months. His son James was
about nine years old, when the family decided
to remove to America, and on Christmas Day,
1840, they left Liverpool on a sailing vessel
which completed the voyage to the United
States in six weeks. The party landed at
Philadelphia, and there the father encountered
a Mr. Boyd whose business it was to look after
emigrants, and he took the family to his home
near Havre de Grace, Harford Co., Md., and
Mr. Kennedy worked for him for two years.



\Villiam Kennedy bought a tract of fifty
acres near Havre de Grace, which he improved
with good buildings, and then sold for the
purchase of a larger and better tract, this one
having 140 acres, and he lived there until his
death in January, 1884, at the age of eighty-six
years. His first marriage was to Mary Ann
Allen, who left this family of children at her
death : Malcolm, who left Ireland before the
family did, locating in Canada ; James ; \Vill-
iam, deceased; Mary Ann, deceased; Joseph,
who died aged nineteen years; and Margaret.
He married for his second wife Betsy Scott,
who lived to be about eighty years of age, and
died near Havre de Grace in 1897. The chil-
dren of this marriage were : Eliza Jane ; Will-
iam (2), of Maryland; Joseph (2); Mary
Ann (2), deceased; David; Scott; and George,
of Maryland. William Kennedy -(vas a strict
Presbyterian in his religious belief. In politics
he was a Democrat.

James Kennedy remained with Mr. Boyd
until the latter's death, and then for two years
with his widow, working on the Boyd farm all
that time, and having but few educational ad-
vantages, his schooling covering about one
month. He bought a tract of forty acres in
that vicinity which he later sold, and then pur-
chased fifty-five acres, .where he set out an
orchard and made many improvements, sub-
sequently selling this very advantageously and
buying a farm of 147 acres in Peach Bottom
township. In 1871 he moved to his present
farm of seventy-five acres, and since then he
has made many admirable improvements here,
building a comfortable home and erecting other
substantial buildings.

Mr. Kennedy was married (first), in Mary-
land, to Catherine (Latimore), who died in
1864, in Maryland. In 1865 he married (sec-
ond) Mrs. Mary (McNeal) Darragh, who died
on the present home farm in 1883. His third
wife, whom he married June 15, 1884, was
Mrs. Hannah (Wright) McKinley, widow of
William McKinley. Mrs. Kennedy was born
Feb. 13, 1844, in Chester county. Pa., daughter
of Sylvanus Wright, who, in 1850, moved to
the Coates farm near Getchville. By profession
he was a surveyor and also a millwright. Next
he moved to the Harris sawmill in Windsor
township. After the death of his wife on the
Coates farm he broke up housekeeping, and
as his children were all grown, he made his
home with them alternately, and died at the



BIOGRAPHICAL



641



home of iMrs. Kennedy May 10, 1876, aged
seventy-one years. Sylvanus Wright married
IMartha Atkins, born near Downingtown, Pa.,
daughter of Caleb and Mary (Bumbough) At-
kins, and the children of this marriage wgre :
William, of this township; Sarah, who died
young; Hannah, now Mrs. Kennedy; John,
Benjamin and Margaret, all deceased; John
(2), a soldier in the Civil war, now deceased;
and Mary, Mrs. Henry Hayes, near York.

William McKinley, the first husband of
Mrs. Kennedy, was born and reared on the
old McKinley homestead in Chanceford town-
ship (where the ancestors of the late lamented
President McKinley also lived), and there his
death occurred. His parents were Stephen
and Jane (Armstrong) McKinley. William
McKinley and wife had children : Alice M.,
wife of Edward Fitler, of York; George A., a
miller of this township; Anna C, wife of Wil-
liam Montorith, of Columbia, Pa. ; and Syl-
vanus, of Peach Bottom township.

The children of our subject by his first
marriage were : Mary A., who died aged four
years ; William J., a farmer in Nebraska ; Sam-
uel, also a farmer in Nebraska ; Joseph, who
died aged twenty-five years ; and John, a farmer
in this township. The children of the second
marriage were: Annie E., wife of Elva Hess,
of this township ; Mary E., wife of George
McKinley of Lower Chanceford ; Catherine L.,
wife of Henry Wise, of Harford county, Md. ;
and John O. A., who died at seventeen years.
There was no issue by the third marriage.

Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy are consistent mem-
bers of the Salem M. E. Church. In politics
he is a stanch Democrat. For several years he
served as supervisor of Peach Bottom town-
ship, and he has always been a leading man in
public matters wherever he has resided. He
has many friends who regard him with high
esteem.

DAVID KNISELY was born in Windsor
township, Nov. 19, 1855, ^^^ ^^'^s the son of
Bornitz and Mary (OberdorfT) Knisely.

The Knisely family is of German origin,
but the grandfather, Anthony, was born in
Cumberland county. Pa. For some time he
lived in York county, and was there married
to Miss Susan Snyder, but he returned to
Cumberland county, and was a farmer there.
He was killed by a fall in his barn, which he
was clearing for a church meeting. Anthony



Knisely had sixteen children, but the names o?
only eleven are I'ecorded, namely : Bornitz,
William, Peter, John, Henry, Susan (Mrs.
Mountz), Mary (Mrs. Seitz), Betsey (Mrs.
Sutton), Lydia (Mrs. Suttton), Katy (who
died unmarried), and Sally (Mrs. Nickey).

Bornitz Knisely was born Oct. 6, 1809, in
Washington township. He was educated in the
subscription schools, and afterward taught for
several terms. He learned the carpenter's
trade, and finally became a contractor, putting
up many of the finest buildings in that section.
Beginning life a poor boy, he did well and be-
came one of the prominent men in his town-
ship. In politics he was a Whig and later a
Republican. He was a member of the United
Evangelical Church, in which he served as
steward, class leader and trustee. Twice mar-
ried, his iirst wife was Miss Sally Sechrist, who
was born in Chanceford township, Jan. 7, 181 1.
Their union occurred Feb. 20, 1831, and they
began life on a farm owned by Mr. Knisely in
Windsor township. There his wife died Sept.
3, 1850, leaving him with the following chil-
dren; John, born Jan. 5, 1832, who went
West and married a Miss Whitmeyers ; Henry,
born Jan. 14, 1833, who married a Miss Mary
Dehoff, and died in Windsor township; Will-
iam, born June 15, 1834, who married Miss
Sarah Spotts, and died at Yoe; Susanna, born
May 27, 1836, deceased wife of John Stabley,
of Windsor township ; Mary Jane, born March
7, 1838, who died unmarried; Jacob, born
June 18, 1840, for nine months a soldier in the
Civil war, who married Miss Sarah Schmuck;
Joseph, born Nov. 15, 1841, who lives on his
father's old homestead, married (first) Miss
Mary Stauffer, and (second) Miss Sarah
Kohler, also deceased; Daniel, born Aug. 8,
1843, who died in infancy; Samuel, born Dec.
13, 1S44, who married Miss Mary Nefi, and
lives at Red Lion; George, born Jan. 30, 1847,
who married Miss Elizabeth Brillhart, and
lives at York; and Bornitz, born Dec. 29, 1848,
who died in infancy.

Mr. Knisely's second wife, to whom he was
united Feb. 11, 1851, was Miss Mary Ober-
dorfif. She w^as born on her father's farm at
Springvale Station, Windsor township, Jan.
10, 1827, and was educated in the public
schools. Her parents were Daniel and Lydia
(Miller) Oberdorfif, the former of whom was
born in Lower Windsor township, was a miller
bv trade, and later a farmer, and died at his



-642



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



heme in 1SO3, aged seventy-one years. ]\Irs.
]\Iary O. ivnisely bore her husband five chil-
dren: Lydia, born April 2t,, 1852, is Mrs.
Wesley Raub, of \\'indsor township; David;
Leah Ellen, born Alarch 15, 1859, is Mrs.
Jacob Flinchbaugh, of Red Lion; James F.,
born March 16, 1861, married Miss Agnes
Flinchbaugh; and Alice Amanda, born Aug.
16, 1864, is Airs. William C. Smith, of Wind-
sorville.

David Knisely was sent to the Cross school
in Windsor township, until he was eighteen,
and after leaving continued to work on his
father's farm, until he married. He then be-
gan farming on the place where he now lives,
working it on shares with his father, who
owned it. At the same time he entered upon
the manufacture of cigars, and has kept up
the business ever since. He has been success-
ful in both lines, is a well known and promi-
ment man in his section, and is very generally
esteemed and honored. He and his family be-
long to the L'nited Evangelical Church, in
which he is a trustee, and has served one term
.as superintendent. In political faith he is a Re-
publican.

Mrs. Knisely was a Miss Sophia Fitzkee,
and was married to Mr. Knisely Feb. 3, 1887.
She has borne her husband two children : Rosie
Etta, born Aug. 2, 1888, and Anthony Bornitz,
July 16, 1892.

Peter Wilhelm Fitzkee, father of Mrs.
Knisely, was a native of Germany, where he
was born Sept. 25, 1824, in Bauden Mine. He
was given a good education there, and at the
age of twenty-four came to America, accom-
panied by a Miss Rosie Baringer, who was
also born near Bauden Mine, March 19, 1824.
On landing at Philadelphia Mr. Fitzkee and
Miss Baringer were married, and they settled
first in the vicinity of Craleyville. There Mr.
Fitzkee learned carpentering and long followed
that trade. Later he bought a farm close to
Craleyville, which his sons assisted in cultivat-
ing. He died Sept. 29. 1903, in the Lutheran
faith. He was a Democrat in politics. Mr.
Fitzkee was a man of unusually fine physiciue.
His wife is still living on their old homestead.
The children born to them, besides Sophia,
who became Mrs. Knisely, were as follows :
Edward, of York, who married Mrs. John Wil-
kinson; Augustus, of Marysville, who mar-
ried Miss Amanda Hibner; Simon, unmarried,
who lives with his mother; Henry, of Dallas-
town, married to Sarah Florv; Leonard, at



home ; and Frank, of Lancaster county, who
married ]Miss Lizzie Riles. Peter Fitzkee had
two brothers, one of whom died in Germany.



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 122 of 201)