Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 123 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 123 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


The other started from home for the United
States, but was never heard from again.

JAMES H. SMALL, secretary of the
York Gas Company, belongs to one of the old-
est and most prominent families of York
county. His g'randfather, David Small, was
chief burgess of York at the time of the Rebel
invasion under Gen. Jubal Early, and was at
one time postmaster of York, having been ap-
pointed by President James Buchanan, who
was his personal friend.

James B. Small, father of James H. Small,
died at the age of fifty years. His wife was
Harriet E. Landis, daughter of David Landis
(deceased), a well known merchant. There
were four children born to this couple, as fol-
lows : One who died in infancy; Charles E., a
stationer; David J., an insurance agent; and
James H.

James H. Small was born in York, Jan.
20. 1874, and was educated in private schools
and the York Collegiate Institute. Flis first
occupation was as a drug clerk, at which he re-
mained two years, and then for a like period
engaged in the fire insurance business. He be-
came assistant secretary of the York Gas Com-
pany, Jan. I, 1898, and was promoted to the
position of secretary in June of the same year.

On June 15, 1S98, Mr. Small was married
to Adelaide Noss, daughter of Mr. Herman
Noss, one of York's most prominent manufac-
turers, and two children were born to this
union вАФ Harriet Elizabeth and Sarah Jane.
Mr. Small is prominent in Masonic" circles, be-
ing a member of York Lodge, Howell Chapter,
York Commandery, Harrisburg Consistory and
Zembo Temple of the IMystic Shrine. Socially
he belongs to the Bachelor's Club and the
Country Club. In his religious views he is a
Presbyterian, attending the First Presbyterian
Church, in which for some time he was a Sun-
day-school teacher. As secretary of the Gas
Company Mr. Small has made hosts of friends
by his courtesy and fairness, and no man of his
years in York is more popular in social, fra-
ternal and business circles.

PHILIP LAUCKS, for many years a
farmer of W/5ndsor township, was born in
Lower Windsor township, Sept. 9, 1842, son of
Samuel and Margaret (AIcGuigan) Laucks.



BIOGRAPHICAL



643



Samuel Laucks was burn in Lower Wind-
sor township, and attended the public schools.
He was a farmer's boy and followed the trade
of a collier for several years, after which he
returned to the farm, upon which he remained
until his death, which occurred in 1882, when
he had reached his seventy-second year. He
had been reared in the faith of the Evangelical
Church, while in politics he was a Democrat.
Mr. Laucks' death caused much sorrow to a
large circle of accjuaintances and friends. ]\Ir.
Laucks married Margaret McGuigan, born in
Hopewell township and reared to womanhood
in Lower Windsor township, daughter of Am-
brose and Elizabeth McGuigan. Ambrose Mc-
Guigan was a native of Ireland, while his wife,
before her marriage to Mr. McGuigan, was the
widow of Daniel Lefevre. Mrs. Laucks sur-
vived her husband about eighteen years. They
had been the parents of these children : John,
of Windsor township; Elizabeth, who married
John K. Shenberger, deceased, the late county
treasurer ; Samuel D., deceased, who married
Isabella Olewiler ; Hettie, .deceased in young
womanhood; Philip; Susan, who died young;
Margaret, who married Henry Gilbert, of
Lower Windsor township; Mary, wife of John
C. Broom, of Columbia, Pa.; and George W.,
of Lower Windsor township, who married
Valeria Bull.

Philip Laucks was reared on his father's
farm, and until the age of eighteen years, at-
tended the public schools during the winter
terms of three, four and five months. He
learned the trade of a blacksmith with John
Halleck, of Harrisburg, with whom he re-
mained thirteen months, and then for five
years worked at that vocation in the Harris-
burg car shops. Returning to Lower ^^'indsor
township for three years he was employed on
the family homestead, after his marriage re-
moving to Chanceford, where he had purchased
a farm of twenty-eight acres. This he worked
for eight years, when he sold and moved to
W'indsor township, Locating on a farm of
ninety-seven acres, upon which he remained
nineteen years: After settling there Mr.
Laucks added an adjoining farm of twen-
ty-eight acres, his own being- on Burkholder
road, three miles from Red Lion. Since tak-
ing possession Mr. Laucks has made many im-
provements to the farm, building large barns,
a fine home and substantial outbuildings. Al-
though a member of no religious denomina-
tion Mr. Laucks was reared in the faith of



the Evangelical Church. In politics he is a
Democrat, and has served for nine ^'ears as
school director in Windsor township.

On Dec. 24, 1873, Philip Lau'cks, in Wind-
sor township, married Susan Anstine, born at
Anstine Mill, Windsor township, daughter of
Simon and Mary Ann (Kohler) Anstine. To
this union these children have been born:
Harvey A., born in 1874, married INIiss 'Mav-
garet Slaugh, and is a farmer and cigar-maker
in \Vindsor township; Mary, born in 1880,
married Bert Raub, and resides in Windsor
township; and Samuel E., born Oct. 2^. 1885,
was educated in the Windsor public schools,
graduated from the Red Lion High school,
class of 1903, and then took one ferm at the
York Collegiate Institute, afterward teaching
the Fairview school in Windsor township, as
well as Grims' school, and he now engaged as
a cigarmaker.

Besides his large agricultural interests, ^Ir.
Laucks is connected with the Farmers & ^ler
chants Bank of Red Lion, of which he is a
stockholder. His home is on Broadwav, in
Red Lion.

GEORGE E. STABLEY, manager of the
exchange and testing station of the American
Telegraph & Telephone Company, at Dallas-
town, is one of York county's native sons, and
one of its representative young business men,
while he is also a member of one of the ster-
ling pioneer families of the county, the name
which he bears having been intimately linked
with the history of this section ever since the
days when here was initiated the march of
civilization. The lineage traces back to sturdy
Swiss origin, and the original representatives
in the new world were two brothers who left
the fair little mountain republic and came to
America to establish homes, this being in the
Colonial era of our national history. One of
the brothers settled in ^Maryland, and the other,
the great-great-grandfather of the subject of
this re\-iew, took up his abode in York county,
Pa., where he passed the remainder of his life
and where he left a number of descendants to
perpetuate a worthy name. It should be noted
that members of the family were found render-
ing valiant service as soldiers in the Conti-
nental line during the war of the Revolution.
The brother, who settled in Baltimore countv,
]Md., likewise left descendants, and numerous
representatives of the name are found in that
State at the present day.



644



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



George Emanuel Stabley, to whom this
sketch is dedicated, was burn in Hopewell
township, this county, Feb. 12, 1876, son of
Emanuel and Leah (Seachrist) Stabley, the
latter of whom was a daughter of John and
Susan Seachrist, Avho were honored residents
of Chanceford township and members of ster-
ling pioneer families of the county. Emanuel
Stabley was likewise born in York county, and
here he has ever since continued to reside, while
he has so ordered his life as to merit and re-
ceive the unqualified respect and regard of
his fellow men. A cabinetmaker by trade, he
devoted his attention to the same as a voca-
tion for a time, but for many years he owned
and opera-ted the Stabley sawmill, one-half
mile southwest of Felton, in Hopewell town-
ship, the section now being embraced in what
is known as North Hopewell township, or-
ganized within late years. He has now retired
from active business and resides in the village
of Red Lion, this county. He is a Democrat
in his political adherency, and his religious faith
is that of the Lutheran church, of which his
wife likewise was a devoted member. She
died June 4, 1904, and her memory rests as
a benediction upon all who came within the
sphere of her gracious influence. Of the chil-
dren. Rev. John F. is a clergyman of the Lu-
theran church, and at the time of this writing
is incumbent of a pastorate at Jennerstown,
Somerset count}^, this State; Annie E. is the
wife of Elmer l^ivingston, of Red Lion, Pa. ;
Carrie B. is the wife of Herman L. Greason,
of Y^ork, Pa. ; and George E. is the immediate
subject of this sketch.

George E. Stabley passed his boyhood days
in his native township, in whose public schools
he secured his early educational discipline, con-
tinuing his studies until he had attained the
age of sixteen years, when, in 1892, he entered
upon an apprenticeship in the art of telegraphy,
in Red Lion, sooji becoming a capable operator,
and within that same year securing a position
in the employ of the Baltimore & Lehigh
Railroad Co., now the Maryland & Pennsyl-
vania Railroad Co., in Muddy Creek Forks,
Pa., where he continued to serve as operator
and station agent until March 10, 1903, when
he resigned the position and came to Dallas-
town to accept his present responsible office,
in which connection he is giving most discrim-
inating and acceptable service in both the tech-
nical and executive departments of the work.



in politics he accords a stanch allegiance to the
Democratic party, and the hold which he main-
tains on popular esteem is indicated in the
fact that he has been called upon to serve as
auditor of the borough of Dallastown. In a
fraternal way Mr. Stabley is affiliated with
Zeredatha Lodge, No. 451, Ancient Free &
Accepted Masons, and Dallas Lodge, No. 1017,
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of which
latter he has been an officer.

On Aug. 6, 1898, Mr. Stabley was united
in marriage to Miss Alice B. Conaway, who
was born and reared in this count}', being a
daughter of Samuel A. and Priscilla (Hart-
man) Conaway, of Dallastown. Mr. and Mrs.
Stabley have three children, namely : Paul C,
Mildred F. and Ruth N.

CHARLES STEINER, general superin-
tendent of the mills of the York Silk Manufac-
turing Company, is one of the most progress-
ive men connected with the silk industry of
York. His father, who was a raw silk broker,
died in Zurich, Switzerland, in 1884, aged
forty years, and his mother, Emily Bert-
schinger, was a daughter of John Bertschinger,
of Zurich, who was connected with the raw silk
industry there. There were five children born
to the parents of Charles Steiner, one of whom,
Herman, died in 1894, aged twenty-five years.
The survivors are: Emily, the wife of Fritz
I'reudwiler, owner of a coffee plantation and
grower of rubber plants in Sumatra ;' Emma,
at home ; Henry, a chemist in Zurich ; and
Charles, of this sketch.

Charles Steiner was born in Zurich, Switz-
erland, March 22, 1873, and was educated in
the high school of that city, from which he
was graduated, as well as from the Textile and
Weaving school of Zurich, in 1894. Before
attending the litter, however, Mr. Steiner
spent three years studying the silk industry in
the office of Stehli & Co., at Zurich. After
his graduation from the textile school, Mr.
Steiner was employed two 3'ears as goods ex-
aminer, and came to America in December,
1896. His first occupation in this country was
with an extensive silk mill in West Hoboken,
N. J., remaining there five months, and then
removed to Philadelphia, where he was con-
nected for fourteen months with the Sanquoit
Silk Manufacturing Company. His next po-
sition was that of superintendent of the Penn-
sylvania Silk Company, at Carlisle, Pa., where



BIOGRAPHICAL



645



he remained nine months and then removed to
Bloomsburg, where for three years he was
superintendent of the silk mill at that place.
On June 15, 1902, Mr. Steiner came to York
to fill the position of general superintendent of
the plants of the York Silk Manufacturing-
Company, with two mills in York, one in
Carlisle and one at Fleetwood. The combined
annual output is valued at $2,500,000, and the
products find a ready market all over the
United States. The company employ 550 peo-
ple in the two York mills, and 400 in the other
two. When Mr. Steiner became superintend-
ent of this company they had 200 looms and
tl.eir weekly output was 14,000 yards. Now
they have 700 looms and an output of 45,000
yards per week.

Mr. Steiner was married Oct. 2, 1897, to
Emma Kundig, daughter of Joseph M. Kun-
dig, a harness manufacturer of Arth, Switzer-
land, and two children have been born to this
union : Charles Herman arid Paul Hugo. Mr.
Steiner belongs to Zwingli Reformed Church.
His political sympathies are with the Repub-
lican party. He is a traveled gentleman and
a fine conversationalist. In addition to his
tra^'els in this country, he visited his old home
in Zurich in April, 1902, and in April, 1905,
his wife and two children returned to that
city on a five months' trip.

P. ANSTADT & SONS, printers and
publishers at No. 117 East Princess street,
York, are among the best known printers and
publishers of that city. The business, was es-
tablished by Rev. Peter Anstadt, deceased, who
was a prominent clergyman of the Lutheran
Church, and it is now being- conducted by Rev.
Henry Anstadt and Charles P. Anstadt, under
the old title of P. Anstadt & Sons.

Rev. Henry Anstadt was born in Selins
Grove, Snyder Co., Pa., June 18, 1869. and
was educated in the public schools of York, the
York Collegiate Institute, the Pennsylvania
College at Gett_vsburg (class of 1890), and the
Theological Seminary at Gettysburg- (1894),
receiving the degree of A. M. in 1893. Mr.
Anstadt was assistant pastor of Trinity Lu-
theran Church in Allegheny City, and then,
coming to York, became associated with his
father in the printing and publishing business.
He took the first honor at the York Collegiate
Institute, that of valedictorian, and at the
Pennsylvania College carried off fourth honors



in a class uf thirty-five. He belongs to the
Thirteen Club, better known as the York Junta,
a literary. club composed of congenial spirits.
In politics he is a Prohibitionist.

GEORGE A. HOFFMAN, president of
the Consumers Box Board and Paper Co., of
Lititz, Lancaster Co., Pa., was born Feb. 17,
1868, in Baltimore county, Md., son of Wil-
liam D. and Elizabeth (Armacost) Hoffman.

William D. Hoft'man, Sr., grandfather of
George .\., was a paper maker by trade, and for
a number of years was superintendent of the
mills in Baltimore county, Md. He was a cap-
tain in the Revolutionary war, and had a fam-
ily of nine children.

William D. Hoffman, the father, was born
in Baltimore Co., Md., in 1826, and received
a common school dducation. Learning the
paper making business he was made superin-
tendent of the W. H. Hoffman & Sons' mills,
which position he held for a number of years.
He spent a short time in York county along
the plank road, and in 1888 retired from active
business life. His death occurred in 1899,
while his wife, Elizabeth Armacost, survived
until 1901. The children born to this worthy
couple were as follows : Lucinda, Annie,
Emma, Joseph and George A.

George A. Hoffman attended the schools
of Baltimore county, Md., and later a high
school, then District No. i, from which he was
graduated when seventeen years of age. From
his father he learned the paper making business
remaining with the latter five years. For a
number of years Mr. Hoffman was employed
at various places, being boss of the machine
room in the mill at Rockdale for five years,
spent a short time in West Virginia, and
finally, in 1892, came, to York Haven. He
was made foreman of the finishing room, and
held that office until July, 1904, when he re-
signed. At present Mr. Hoffman is interested
in the Consumers Box Board & Paper Co., of
which he is president. The company has a
capital of $15,000 and intends to build one of
the finest plants in the State at Lititz, Lan-
caster county.

In March, 1892, Mr. Hoffman married
Laura Hoover, of Baltimore county, Md., and
she died in November, 1893, having had one
child, Evna. Mr. Hoffman's second wife was
Miss Jennie Abel, daughter of John Abel, of
York the children of this union being: Hazel



646



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



;\I., Ina E., Aliriam and George, Jr. In poli-
tics Mr. HoiTman is a Democrat, but has
never accepted public office other than school
director, a position he has held for three years.

THOMAS SHIPLEY, general manager
of the York Manufacturing Co., is of Scotch-
Irish descent.

Samuel Shipley, his father, who was a
shipwright by occupation, came from England
about 1840 and settled in Jersey City, where
he died in 1872, aged sixty-two years. He
married Elizabeth McFall, daughter of a
farmer in the North of Ireland. Her death
occurred in 1888. She had eight children, three
of whom died in infancy. The survivors are :
John H., a shipwright of Jersey City ; Samuel
J., and William, mechanical engineers of New
York City, associated in their professional
work, and trading as S. J. Shipley &
Co., representing the York Manufacturing Co-
in New York City; Elizabeth, who married
Samuel P. Cottrell, a farmer of Monmouth
county, N. J. ; and Thomas.

Thomas Shipley was born in Jersey City,
June 30, 1 86 1, and was educated in its public
schools and the Cooper Institute of New York,
in the latter institution taking a course in me-
chanical engineering and graduating in 1881.
His first regular employment was with the
Morris & Cummings Dredging Co. of Jersey
City, and after serving as an apprentice ma-
chinist and filling various positions there he was
promoted to the position of draughtsman. Dur-
ing 1883-84 he was employed by them in the
erection of a dredging plant, spending one year
in the Government em]3loy in Brazil. His next
venture was in building ice machines, the firm
trading as Wood & Shipley. This was in
1884, and in the fall of 1886 Mr. Shipley went
to Waynesboro, Pa., where he became con-
nected with the Erick Company, as mechanical
engineer and expert in ice refrigerating ma-
chinery. In 1892 Mr. Shipley severed his con-
nections with the Frick Company, and for
three years was engaged in the operation of
two ice plants, one at Steubenville, Ohio, and
another at Pittsburg. In 1895 he returned to
the service of the Erick Company, becoming
manager of the ice making and refrigerating
business. In 1897 Mr. Shipley came to York,
and became general manager of the York Man-
ufacturing Co., which was at that time em-
ploying only fifty people. How well Mr. Ship-



ley has managed the business may be inferred
from the fact that the works now employ 1,000
people, and cover five times as much ground
as in 1897.

Mr. Shipley was married Dec. 28, 1-887,
to Sarah Hunt, daughter of Samuel Hunt, a
contracting carpenter of Jersey City. Eour
children have been born to this union : 'Ray-
mond T., Samuel Hunt, Howard Vernon and
Dorothy Sybil.

Mr. Shipley belongs to the American So-
ciety of Mechanical Engineers, and is a mem-
ber of the Masonic fraternity (from the Blue
Lodge to the Mystic Shrine), and of the La-
fayette Club. In politics he is a Republican.
His home on Linden avenue is one of the
handsomest in West York. In fact, it is one of
the finest in all York, and an interesting fact
connected with it is that Mr. Shipley, in order
practically to illustrate the scope of the vast
industrial concern of which he is the manager,
had all the work done on the building by the
skilled mechanics of the York Manufacturing
Co., even to the gas and electric fittings, and
thus Mr. Shipley's home may be said to be an
enduring monument to the skill and possibili-
ties of the establishment with which he has
become so prominently identified.

JOHN T. OBERDORFE comes of an old
York county family, who for several genera-
tions were well known weavers and shoemakers
in that part of the State.

John Oberdorff, grandfather of John T.,
was the .original owner of the Oberdorff home-
stead, but late in life exchanged it for one be-
longing to his son Samuel in Upper Windsor
township, where he died. He was a weaver
by trade.

Samuel Oberdorff, born on the farm in
1800, was a farmer and weaver all his life and
died on the old homestead in 1872. At first
a member of the Lutheran Church, he later
became a believer in the Evangelical teachings.
He married Elizabeth Emenheiser, who was
born at Craleysville, Lower AVindsor township,
daughter of Jacob Emenheiser ; she died on the
old farm in 1888. The children born of this
marriage were : Reuben, who died young ;
Zachariah, who married Miss Mary Ann
Budd, and died in Lower Windsor township ;
Samuel, deceased in boyhood ; Joshua, who
married Margaret, daughter o^f Peter Baker,
and died in Windsor township; William, of



BIOGRAPHICAL



647-



Windsor township, married Susan Frey ; John
T., and EHzabeth, Mrs. ]\Iilton Smith, of Red
Lion.

John T. Oberdorff was born on the famih-
homestead, ]\Iay 17, 1841. He was sent to
a school situated on the present site of W'ind-
sorville, where John FHnchbaugh's house
stands, and his first teacher was Michael An-
stine. Three terms were also spent in the
Koons school, and at the age of nineteen he
completed his education. LTntil he was twenty
he worked on the farm of his father, but then
he learned to make shoes with his brother
at home, and was so engaged for two
years, still being" employed on the paternal
farm during the summer. Since that period
his whole attention has been given to agri-
culture, at which he has been very successful.
After working with his father two years more,
he married and farmed for himself five years,
until in 1872 he bought a tract wdiich is still in
his possession. In 1894 he rented that place,
consisting of ninety-nine acres, and moved to
his present homestead of forty acres. The first
farm was bought in partnership with his
brother Zachariah, \vhose interests he pur-
chased later. In the beginning he was obliged
to go in debt for the property, but had paid it
all off, and more, before leaving the place.

On Nov. 2.2, 1864, i\Ir. Oberdorff was mar-
ried to Susanna Paules. daughter of John and
Katie Paules. No children ha\'e been born
to them. Mrs. Oberdorff is a member of the
Canadochley Reformed Church, and her hus-
band attends at the Church of God. He is
liberal in his support of that society, as well
as of his wife's church, and the Freysville
Lutheran, and is in every respect a God-fearing
man of truly Christian life. He supports the
Democratic party,' but never has taken an
active interest in political affairs. ' He has made
his way in life .by honest industry and com-
mands the respect of all who have become
familiar with his actions and his personality.

FRANCIS J. SNYDER, 3.1. D., has, in
his successful career as a physician and sur-
geon, given eft'ective rebuttal of the applica-
tion of the Biblical statement that "a prophet
is not without honor save in his own country."
He was born in Winterstown, York county,
Pa., June 28, 1864, son of Lewis and Maria
(Snyder) Snyder, the former of whom was
born and reared in France, and came to this



country at the age of sixteen years. li\ing in
Baltimore, Md., until 1861. For a number of
years Lewis Snyder was engaged in mercan-
tile pursuits in York county. Pa., and
he is now living retired in Winters-
town, one of York county's okl and
honored citizen, being over eight\' vears of
age. He has long been a stanch ad\-ocate of the
principles of the Republican party, and his re-
ligious faith is that of the Evangelical church,
of which his wife likewise was a devoted mem-
ber. The latter was boi-n in York county, this
State, in 1827, a daughter of John Snyder, and
she was summoned into eternal rest in 1889.
being- survived by two children.

John Snyder, grandfather of the Doctor,^
was the founder of the town of Jacobus, York-
county, and was widely and most favorably
known among the early settlers of this section
of the State. He continued to reside in York
county until his death, at the patriarchal age
of eight3'-seven years. It may farther be re-
corded that the Doctor's maternal grandmother
bore the maiden name of Sarah Miller and that'
the maiden name of her mother was Spangjer,
the Spangler family being one of the eldest
and most honored in York county.

Dr. Francis J. Snyder passed his boyhood
days in his native village, and there he duly
completed the prescribed course of the public



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 123 of 201)