Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 124 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 124 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and high schools, after which he began his pro-
fessional study under the preceptorship of Dr.
Charles G. Hildebrand, then engaged in prac-
tice in Winterstown, but who is now a success-
ful practitioner in the town of Loganville, Pa.
In 1884 Dr. Snyder matriculated in the Col-
lege of Physicians & Surgeons in Baltimore,
where he was graduated as a member of the
class of 1887, with his well earned degree of
Doctor of Medicine. The same year he passed
a successful examination at the Western Penn-
sylvania Medical College, Pittsburg, Pennsyl-

Dr. Snyder initiated the active work of his
profession by locating in Jacobus, York county,
where he built up a most successful business,
there continuing his earnest labors for the
period of fifteen years, at the expiration of
which he came to the city of York, -where he
has since continued in the active work of his
profession, and where his success has been
equally pronounced and gratifying, his practice
being of a distinctively representative char-
acter. He is a progressive and puljlic-spirited



648



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY. PENNSYLVANIA



citizen, and is held in high esteem in both busi-
ness and social circles.

Dr. Snyder is a stanch Republican in his
political proclivities, but has ne\-er been a
seeker of official preferment; in religion he is
identified with the Evangelical church, of
which ]\Irs. Snyder likewise is a devoted mem-
ber. In a professional way the Doctor is en-
rolled as a member of York County Medical
Society, of which he was first vice-president
in 1905; the Pennsylvania State Medical So-
ciety and the American Medical Association.
At one time he was assistant surgeon for the
Mahoning Valley Railroad, the Buffalo,
Rochester & Pittsburg Railroad, the low grade
Division of the Allegheny Valley Railroad, the
Bell, Lewis & Yates Coal & Iron Co., and the
Adrion Islan Coal Co. He is medical ex-
aminer for the Equitable Life Assurance So-
ciety (New York), and the Northwestern of
Milwaukee. He was a member of the board of
Congressional Conferrers of the 20th Pennsyl-
vania Cong-ressional District in 1896. Dr.
Snyder is also affiliated with the Benevolent
& Protective Order of Elks, the Patriotic Sons
of America, the Ancient and Illustrious Order
of Knights of Malta, and the Knights of Mystic
Chain. He is a member of Good Will Fire
Co. of Jacobus; was president of the Alumni
Association of the College of Physicians and
Surg'eons, Baltimore, in 1903, and is a member
of the American Motor League.

On June 27, 1895, at Elmira, N. Y., Dr.
Snyder was unied in marriage to Miss Ada
E. Loucks, who was born and reared in this
county, a daughter of David M. and Emeline
(Peeling) Loucks, honored residents of Ja-
cobus, Pa., the former an ex-member of the
Pennsylvania Legislature. Dr; and Mrs. Sny-
der have no children.

JOHN H. FRITZ, who was well-known
throughout the State of Pennsylvania for the
great and good work he accomplished as a
minister of the Gospel, was a resident of York
at the time of his death.

Mr. Fritz was born in Germany in 1820 or
1 82 1, and was brought to the United States
at the age of eight years, the party consisting
of the father, the stepmother and three chil-
dren. Air. Fritz had attended school in his
native country for a short time, and on locat-
ing in York, attended the public schools. On
completing his preliminary education he be-



came engaged in the study of law, but, al-
though being admitted to the Bar, he never
followed that profession. At about this time
Mr. Fritz was married, and his Avife influenced
him to study for the ministry. He was
obliged to prepare himself as he had for the
law, and he entered the Episcopal seminary, in
or near Washington, D. C. After leaving this
institution he completed his studies with Dr.
Lochman, of York, and was ordained. His
first pastorate was Butler, Pa., where he re-
mained for eleven 3'ears. He then was called
to Millville, N. J., where he remained for three
years; to Water Gap, Del., for three years,
and, after three years at Doylestown, Pa., his
health failing, he was dbliged to give up his
ministerial work. He came back to York to
rest, fully intending to resume the work, but
instead of improving, his health grew worse,
and he passed away in York in 1897, Mr.
Fritz finished building a hew church in Doyles-
town, his last parish, and also in Millville, N.
J. He had no children of his own, but he
and his estimable wife adopted two children,
whom they educated and reared. Mr. Fritz
was a member of the I. O. O. F. before enter-
ing the ministry, but afterwards withdrew his
name.

In 1857 Mr. Fritz was married to Louisa
F. Miller, born in Lancaster, Pa., in 1818, who
has made her home in York since she was one
year old. Her father, the Rev. John Con-
stahtine Miller, was born in the Kingdom of
Saxony^ Germany, and came to America in
1 80 1, with three Moravian preachers. The
vessel upon which they were making their
journey was caught in a terrible storm, and
when repaired made port at Philadelphia.
From there the party went to the Moravian
settlement in Bethlehem. Mr. ]\Iiller was soon
after sent to Lancaster, and while there was
married in Lititz, Pa., to Anna Sophia Crist,
of Nazareth, Pa. He was next sent to York,
where he died a few years later. His wife
survived him many years. Of this union ]Mrs.
Fritz is the only living child.

PROF. JAMES W. GOSNELL, one of
the leading educatoi's, substantial men and
prominent citizens of East York, Pa., was born
June 2, 1868, in Shrewsbury- township, York
county, a son of Francis and Emma (Clark)
Gosnell.

Richard Gosnell, the paternal grandfather.



BIOGRAPHICAL



649



ivas burn in Baltimore county, Aid., in 1797,
of English parentage, and resided in that coun-
ty until his death, in 1877, his business being
that of a saddler. His children were : Sarah,
Charity, Ephraim, Francis, Dorcas and Ann.

Francis Gosnell, father of our subject, \Yas
born in 1827 in Baltimore county, Md., where
he was reared and educated. In 1864 he re-
moved to York county. Pa., and engaged in
farming in Shrewsbury township, and in 1870
removed to Newberry township, buying a farm
of 100 acres on which he erected buildings and
made many improvements. He died in 1894
and was interred at Paddletown cemetery.
Francis Gosnell married (first) Henrietta Se-
christ, who died in 1853, ^^d is buried in New
]\Iarket cemetery, Baltimore county, Md. His
second marriage was to Emma Clark, who died
here in 1895 and is buried in Paddletown cem-
etery, in Newberry township. There was one
child of the first marriage, John, who married
Lucinda Linebaugh, and is a farmer in Balti-
more county, Md. ; and the children of the
second marriage were : Henrietta, wife of Ja-
cob L. IMickey, who lives near Yocumtown, in
Newberry township; Kate, wife of Christian
J. Miller, of Newberry township ; Alice, who
died aged four years in Baltimore countv, Md. ;
Noah, married to Elsie Brenneman and living
on the old home in Newberry township; Ben-
jamin, now deceased, who married Bertha A.
Kise : James Wright, of this sketch ; and Mary,
wife of Kirk Shelley, of Steelton, Pennsyl-
vania.

James Wright Gosnell attended the For-
tenbaugh school in his neighborhood until he
was sixteen years old, and then enjoyed one
summer session at a graded school at Golds-
boro, taught by Prof. J. P. Hayes. This was
followed by one term under John M. Wolfe, of
Hanover, one spring term at Manchester, Md.,
two spring terms at Shippensburg, and six
weeks at Millersville. During these school ses-
sions Prof. Gosnell not only secured a superior
education, but gained a wide acquaintance and
made innumerable friends. After completing
his education he began to teach, his first at-
tempt being one term at the Redland school, in
Newberry township, followed by three terms
at the Diehl's school, in the same township. He
was then secured by the Goldsboro grammar
school, where he taught for four terms. In 1893
he came to Lewisberry, where he has taught
for thirteen terms as principal of the school.



This is a rather remarkable record for so young
an educator. During this period he has turned
out sixty-three teachers. In a way. Prof. Gos-
nell has been handicapped, on account of a very
serious accident from which he suffered on
May 15, 1884. This was during the demoli-
tion of an old barn, when he was caught under
some falling timber and suffered such injury to
his good right arm as necessitated its amputa-
tion. In this affliction, Prof. Gosnell had the
earnest and sincere sympathy of everyone in
the community. In spite of this misfortune,
he has accomplished a great deal both in his
profession and in taking a citizen's place in
public affairs. He served one year as auditor
of Newberry township, and has been judge of
elections, the youngest man who has ever here
held that office. Ever since coming to the
borough of Lewisberry he has been town clerk.
His Republican friends nominated him for the
office of county prothonotary, but his duties
prevented his making a canvass and the elec-
tion resulted in a defeat on this account.

In 1890 Prof. Gosnell was married to Mary
Ellen Kise, a daughter of Henry and Sophia
Kise, of East Prospect, Pa. Sophia Kise died
July 26, 1 891, and her husband in March, 1899.
Mr. and Mrs. Kise had three children, namelv :
Flora, wife of William Brubaker, a barber,
paperhanger and painter at East Prospect;
Mary Ellen, wife of Prof. Gosnell; and Ber-
tha, wife of Benjamin F. Gosnell. Prof. Gos-
nell and wife have these children : Noah R.,
born 1890; Walter Wright, born 1892; Rus-
sel Reid, born 1894; Frank Kise, born 1895;
John Henry, born 1897; Mabel Elva, born
1899. Russel Reid died 1894. Prof. Gosnell
bought his fine home in East York in Decem-
ber, 1904. It is a very attractive place and
beautifully situated.

In politics our subject is prominently iden-
tified with the Republican party and he has
served as a delegate to a numJoer of county
and State conventions. For a long time he has
been an active member of the M. E. Church, a
trustee, class-leader, superintendent, assistant
superintendent of the Sunday-school and" is
president of the local Epworth League. His
fi-aternal association is with the Jr. O. C. A.
M., of which he is a charter member of Lodge
No. 1012, of Lewisberry, in which he has held
all the offices. He is a man who commands
the respect of all who know him.



6^o



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



JOHN SHELLY, a lifelong resident of
the beautiful Shelly Island in the Susquehanna
ri\-er. was born there on his father's farm,
jNIarch i6, 1831, son of John Moses and Lydia
(_ Herman) Shelly. Shellys Island, including
about 210 acres, was deeded by the Penns to
John Shelly's great-grandfather, and it was
the family homestead from that time, although
Mr. Shelly's grandfather died in Dauphin
county. John Moses Shelly was born there
[March 21, 1799, passed his whole life there as
a prosperous farmer and with his wife was
buried on the island that he loved so well. His
marriage occurred April 6, 1824, to Lydia Her-
man, who was born April 10, 1808, in Lewis-
berrv, York county, and the following children
were born to their union : Ann, born Aug. 7,
1825; Herman, born Sept. 13, 1827; Levi,
born Sept. 21, 1829, was a Methodist minister;
John, born March 16, 1831 ; Benjamin Frank-
lin, born Jan. 18, 1833; Moses, born Oct. 20,
1835, a hotel keeper in Goldsboro, married
(first) Matilda Hanelon, and (second) Mrs.
]\Iary Huston; and Lydia became Mrs. Det-
wiler.

John Shelly grew up on Shellys Island, re-
ceiving his education there, and after marriage
settled there, eventually purchasing the land
from the other heirs. Mr. and Mrs. Shelly
were both exceedingly hospitable and fond of
company, and the ideal situation of their home,
with the warm welcome always waiting, drew
their friends there frequently. Mrs. Shelly
was formerly Agnes May, born in 1833. Her
paternal grandfather came from Germany, set-
tling in York county, where he died. Her
father, Bernard May, was a butcher in Har-
risburg, who died there from smallpox before
Mrs. Shelly had reached four months of age.
Her mother, Mrs. Jane (James) May, after-
ward married Amos Waidley, of Cumberland
county, and she lived to be eighty-two years
old. \Ir. and Mrs. Shelly were married at
]\Iiddlesex, Cumberland county, July 12, 1852,
and their children, all born on Shehys Island,
were as follows: Ida S., born Aug. 25. 1854,
married James Southern, a banker in Sidney,
Neb.; Franklin, born July 21, 1856, died at
the age of four months ; Robert May, born July
12, 1857, died unmarried at the age of twenty-
eight; Latimore S., born Dec. 28, 1859, a man-
ufacturer of patent locks at Lancaster, mar-
ried Miss Tripple, of Safe Harbor, and died
at the age of twenty-nine; John S., born Sept.



2, 1861, married Miss Hummel, of Hummels-
town, and resides in Llarrisburg; Charles B.,
born Oct. 12, 1869, died at the age of
twenty-eight; and Herman James, born Dec.
25, 1879, is at home. John Shelly's death oc-
curred May 26, 1892, and he was laid to rest in
Mt. Olivet cemetery, Fairview township, York
county. He was widely known and had a high
standing in the community. In politics he was
a Republican. Mrs. Shelly continued to re-
side on the island for four years more, having
lived there longer than any other woman. She
now occupies a handsome home in Goldsboro,
where she gathers around her a large circle of
friends. She is remarkably well-informed, and
is a woman fond of the best literature. During
the flood of 1904 she experienced much trou-
ble, but her life is now flowing again in its
usual channels.

HUMPHREY R. LLOYD. The growth
and prosperity of the borough of Delta have
been very largely due to the development of
the slate quarries in that vicinity, and its prog-
ress has now covered a period of half a century
or more. Among those who have done the
most for the town, and had the most faith in
its future, has been Humphrey R. Lloyd, whose
own success has been coincident with that of
Delta. He was born in Festiniog, in the north
of Wales, in 1840, son of Robert and Jane
Lloyd, and had six brothers, all now deceased
except Edward, of Delta.

At the age of sixteen Mr. Lloyd emigrated
to the United States and located first at Slat-
ington, Lehigh Co., Pa. Thence he migrated
West, but soon returned to the East, spent a
short time in Vermont, and in 185-8 settled in
Delta. For a number of years he worked in
the slate quarry, in 1866 beginning operations
on his own account in the Miles quarry, manag-
ing that and various others until 1889, and
during these two decades doing much to de-
velop the hidden wealth of the Peach Bottom
district. Simultaneously with his opening of
the Miles quarry, Mr. Lloyd embarked in the
hotel business, and took charge of "Hotel Ban-
gor," which he continued for three years; in

1869 he also conducted another hotel at the
Mine Hill, which he managed for a year, in

1870 building the "Hotel Delta," now the
"Auditorium," the first modern hotel in the
village. This house he personally conducted
until 1885, while the ownership remained in



BIOGRAPHICAL



651



his hands until 1900, when he sold the prop-
erty. On relinquishino- the actiye management,
in 1885, he erected his present residence, which
is one of the handsomest homes in Delta and an
ornament to the town.

Mr. Lloyd is also closely associated with
the business and banking interests of Delta.
When the Miles National Bank was projected
in 1890, he gave ready and hearty support to
the proposition, and in conjunction with S.
B. Miles perfected the organization and in-
corporated the institution. In 1900 he was
one of the organizers and incorporators of the
People's National Bank, was its first vice-
president, and has filled the office continuously
since. He has been one of the largest builders
in the town, and has erected many of the finest
structures, which" have added greatly to the
importance of the place and increased its
wealth. The first Masonic hall in Delta was
built by Mr. Lloyd, for he is an enthusiastic
Mason, being a member of the A. F. & A. M.
Lodge, No. 1 76, Delta, and of Adoniram Chap-
ter, No. 21, and Monumental Commandery,
No. 3, K. T., of Bahimore.

In 1863 Humphrey R. Lloyd was united
in marriage to Jane Williams, daughter of
Hugh and Winifred (Jones) Williams, who
were among the first Welsh settlers in Delta,
where they arrived in -1843. They had two
other daughters : Winifred, who married Elias
Roland, and resides in the State of Washing-
ton, and Ellen, Mrs. John W. Jones, of West
Bangor, Pa. Mr. Williams' death occurred in
1865, and that of his wife in 1884. Three chil-
dren have been born to Humphrey R. and Jane
Lloyd, of whom the youngest, Hugh, died at
the age of four years. The oldest, Robert,
born June 18, 1865, in Harford county, Md.,
married Ida May Smith, of Baltimore, daugh-
ter of John W. and Catherine Smith, and they
are the parents of three children. They reside
in Delta, jvhere Robert is in business with his
father. In 1891 he was appointed notary pub-
He by Gov. Robert E. Pattison, and has been
re-appointed three consecutive times. He is
a member of Esdraelon Lodge. No. 176, A.
F. & A. M., of Delta; of Concordia Chapter,
R. A. M., No. I, of Baltimore; and of Monu-
mental Commandery, No. 3, of the same city.
Humphrey R. Lloyd's only daughter, Jane W.,
married Edward Hughes, a native of Delta.
For a number of years he was employed as a
slate dresser, but is now in the milk business



at Delta and resides on the former homestead
of Rev. Samuel Park, adjoining the farm. }ilr.
and Mrs. Hughes have two children.

Humphrey R. Lloyd began his career in the
humble capacity of a quarryman, but by indus-
try and wiselv directed effort has advanced to
the front rank among the citizens of his
adopted town, and has made himself an im-
portant factor in the development of the place.
He has fairly earned his position of influence'
and honor, and the town may well te proud to
have his name identified with its interests. He
is a Republican in his political belief and was
on the first board of councilmen of Delta bor-
ough.

EDWIN S. ZIEGLER is secretary and
treasurer of the Hoover Wagon Works Com-
pany, of York, where the works are located.

Mr. Ziegler's great-great-grandfather came
from Germany, and his grandfather, John K.
Ziegler, was a farmer of Codorus township.
York Co., Pa. His father, Israel K. Ziegler,
who was born on the old homestead, was also
a farmer, and his mother, who was Anna M.
Stick, was a daughter of Henry M. Stick, from
Stick's Tavern, a noted hostelry thirty miles
from Baltimore kept by E. S. Ziegler's grand-
father. Three children were born to the par-
ents of Edwin S. Ziegler: J. Clayton, of In-
dian Head, Md. ; Jennie, the wife of J. K.
Klinefelter, of York; and Edwin S., with
whom this sketch chiefly deals.

Edwin S. Ziegler was born on the old
homestead, 3ilay 17, 1878, and received his ed-
ucation in the York Collegiate Institute. He
then entered the wire fence business with his
father, becoming connected with the office of
the Hoover Carriage Works in 1899, and in
1903 being elected secretary and treasurer.
The entire plant of the company was destroyed
by fire on March 9, 1904, but was completely
rebuilt and ready for occupancy and operation
by Sept. 1st of that year. The new works
cover seventy thousand square feet of floor
space. Over one hundred and fifty people are
employed, and the express and delivery wagons
of which the company makes a specialty find
a market all over the world, including Africa,
Australia and other distant sections. The offi-
cers of the company are : C. H. Dempwolf,
president; Hon. D. F. Lafean, vice-president;
Edwin S. Ziegler. secretary and treasurer, and
I. >^. Ziegler and C. C. Frick. directors.



652



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Mr. Ziegler was married Feb. 22, 1900, to
j\Iiss Jennie Sultner, daughter of Charles Sult-
ner, of York, and one child has come to this
union, Charles Israel, born Nov. 25, 1902. Mr.
Ziegler belongs to St. Matthew's Lutheran
Church, where he is a teacher in the Sunday-
school. He is a Democrat in political faith.

NOAH ROLLER. Among the represen-
"tative farmers of York county, Noah Roller
stands prominently as a good citizen, enterpris-
ing business man, and first-class farmer. He
resides on his well-improved farm in Spring-
field township. He was born in Shrewsbury
township, March 4, 1849, son of John W.
Roller.

Jacob Roller, the grandfather of our sub-
ject, was a farmer of Shrewsbury township,
York county. He married iliss Eva Winters,
and both died in Shrewsbury township, and
were buried at Fiscel's church. Their chil-
dren were : Lydia, the wife of Emanuel Ty-
son, of Shrewsbury township: Elizabeth, who
married Solomon Hengso, of Glen Rock;
Sarah, widow of Charles Frey, now making
her home with her children; Leah, living at
Glen Rock; John W., father of Noah; Jacob,
deceased; Daniel, living in Philadelphia with
his daughter; and Hqiry and Samuel, de-
ceased. ',-вЦ†

John W. Roller was born in Shrewsbury
township," where he received a common-school
education, also assisting his father at farming.
He married Christene Sheafl'er, a daughter of
John and Grace (Overmiller) Sheaffer. Mrs.
Roller was born in 1823, and is now making
her home with her son, our subject. After
marriage Mr. and Mrs. Roller located in
Shrewsbury township, where he followed
farming, and later located in Springfield town-
ship, where he purchased one of William
Foust's farms, known as the old Philip Hilder-
brand farm, consisting of eighty-four acres.
Mr. Roller owned two other farms in the same
township, one of 103, and the other of thirty-
five acres, having in all 222 acres. He died
on his farm in 1872, and is buried at Glen
Rock. In politics he was a Democrat. Mr.
and Airs. Roller had the following children :
William, who married Lovinia AVarner, is a
retired farmer, living in Springfield township,
near Lome ; Levi died shortly after his father ;
one died in infancy; Noah; Elizabeth, de-
ceased, was the wife of George Lentz ; and
Henrv lives in Glen Rock, Pennsvlvania.



Noah Roller attended the Seitz school in
Shrewsbury to.wnship until nineteen years of
age, and remained with his father until the
latter's death. He then took the farm upon
which he now resides, at appraisement, and is
engaged successfully in general ^arming, rais-
ing the usual crops of his section. He married
Eliza Sterner, daughter of Joseph and Sarah
Hilderbrand Sterner, and she died in 1903,
being buried at Glen Rock. Their children
were as follows : James, who is employed in
the furniture factory at Glen Rock, married
Jennie Hilderbrand ; Elizabeth died when
seven months old ; Mollie is at home ; Eli died
at the age of twenty years, eleven months and
one day; Maggie married Eli Henry, and they
are operating the old farm; John, a farmer of
Spring-field township, married Lillie Dubbs ;
and Harry died in February, 1905.

Mr. Roller is a Democrat, and is among
his township's leading and representative men,
always supporting good movements in the
community,

JOHN RENEDY, who carries on exten-
sive farming and stock raising operations in
Lower .Chanceford township, is one of the rep-
resentative agriculturists of York county. He
was born one mile from Bell's Ferry, Md.,
June 14, 1863, son of James and Mary (Mor-
ris) Renedy.

James Renedy was born in Dublin, Ire-
land, and came to the United States when a
boy. Most of his life was spent in Chanceford
township, where he carried on farming, being
thus engaged at the time of his death. He
married Mai-y Morris, who died when our sub-
ject was eight weeks old. Mr. Renedy's sec-
ond wife was also named Mary. For his third
wife he married Hannah (Wright) McKin-
ley, who survives her husband.

When John Renedy was four years old
his father removed to Peach Bottom township,
and there the youth attended the common
schools, thereby acquiring his education. From
the age of six initil he was seventeen years old
he attended the old Glen wood school, and at
the latter age began farming the home place on
shares. This he continued until 1886, when
he removed to the farm adjoining his present
one, consisting of 50 acres, which he had pur-
chased from his father the year previous. There
he remained two years, when he purchased his
present place, a fine loo-acre tract, from R.
B. Hyson, who had purchased it from Daniel



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 124 of 201)