Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 126 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 126 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


York county, near Kohler's Mill, an old buhr-
mill. which is located on the Little Codorus,
son of Jacob and Lydia (Husson) Kohler.

(I) Baltzer Kohler was a soldier in the
Revolutionary war, and a man of some promi-
nence in his locality.

(II) Jacob Kohler was born in York
•county, and engaged in farming. In politics
he was a Democrat, and he served as commis-
sioner of York county. In religious faith he
was a Lutheran. His wife's maiden name was
Seachrist, and they had the following chil-
dren: George; Catherine; Jacob, a farmer
and miller; Mary, John; Adam; Eli; and
Charles.

dll) Jacob Kohler (2), father of Henry



F., was born in York county, near Windsor
Station, in April, 1837. He was a farmer,
miller and carpenter, and followed all these
vocations until his retirement. His wife,
Lydia, was born in 1840, daughter of Frank
Husson. Fivec hildren were born to Jacob
and Lydia Kohler : Ada ; Wesley, of Dal-
lastown ; Jacob, of Seven Valley ; Sedon, at
Jacobus, York county, a cigar manufacturer;
and Henry F. The mother of these died in
1870, and Jacob Kohler married (second) Miss
Ellen Hildebrand, of York county, daughter
of Jeremiah and Friederica ( Reincker) Hilde-
brand, and sister, of Ida, Amy, Lizzie and
Susan. By this second marriage children were
born as follows : Wilbur J., who was educatea
at the York Academy and, later, at the West-
chester State Normal School, and is now a
minister of the Reformed Church ; Gordon E. ;
Paul E. ; Ella F., wife of Robert Beockei; and
Charles H., a cigarmaker.

(IV) Henry F. Kohler received a good
comnaon-school education at the Kohler
schoolhouse, and later went to the Jacobus
schoolhouse, in Springfield township, leaving
school in his eighteenth year. At that time he
began to learn the trade of cigarmaking with
Miller & Williams, at Jacobus, and when he
had completed his course traveled as salesman.
In September, 1889, he embarked in his busi-
ness at Jacobus, where he continued nine years,
when he sold the factory to G. A. Kohler, who
has continued it. He then superintended the
cigar factory of Bear Sprenkle Co., at West
Manchester, about four years. In March,
1901, Mr. Kohler located at Nashville, opening
a factory, and he engaged extensively in manu-
facttu'ing cigars, giving employment to from
ninety to one hundred persons. The product
of his factory is sold principally through the
western states, and the cigars are noted for
their superior quality. His special brands are
144, Happy Jim, William T. Hall, Spinoza,
Andrew Johnson, Benjamin Chew, Judge
Shepherd, Home Run, George Ste\'enson and
Heroic.

On Oct. 30, 1888, J\Ir. Kohler married I^Iiss
Isabel Shaffer, of Glen Rock, York Co., Pa.,
daughter of Edward and Ellen (Eppley) Shaf-
fer. Four children were born to them : Clar-
ence E. ; Norman V. ; Carl K. ; and Horace
Ellwood. In politics Mr. Kohler is a Demo-
crat, .and takes an active part in local, county
and State politics. He, his wife and two sons



BIOGRAPHICAL



659



are consistent members of St. Paul's Evangel-
ical Lutheran Church at Spring Grove. So-
cially he belongs to the Knights of Malta. He
is a thorough man of business., successful, en-
terprising, and one who commands the unqual-
ified respect and esteem of all who know him.

JOHN H. DECHERT, general agent at
York, Pa., for the Ec^uitable Life Insurance
Company, is one of the most prominent and
successful men in his line in the city. He was
born Dec. 31, 1863, at Chambersburg, Pa., son
of J. L. and Helen (Seiders) Dechert. Daniel
Dechert, the paternal grandfather, was a hat
manufacturer in Franklin county, a man well
known and held in high esteem.

J. L. Dechert, father of John H., is still a
resident of Chambersburg, engaged in the fire
insurance line. He married Helen Seiders,
daughter of John Seiders, who was born in
Germany, and died in 1886, at the age of
ninety-five years. Mrs. Dechert, our subject's
mother, died in 1900, aged sixty-two years.
Her three children were Maud, wife of Morris
E. Eyler, a druggist of Baltimore; Helen I., at
home; and John H., of York.

John H. Dechert was educated in the pub-
lic schools of Chambersburg. He made his en-
trance into business in the capacity of book-
keeper for a fancy grocery house of Philadel-
phia, where he remained three years, and then
became owner of a men's outfitting house at
Chambersburg. There he remained fifteen
years. In 1901 he became agent for the Ec^uit-
able Life Insurance Company at Chambers-
burg", and in 1902 he was made general agent,
still remaining at Chambersburg. In March,
1904, he came to York, opening up an oftice in
Room 12, in the Wiest building, on West Mar-
ket street. He occupies a very responsible po-
sition in the interests of the great corporation
by which he is engaged, his territory, formerly
known as the Southern Pennsylvania agency,
embracing ten counties. The Southern Penn-
sylvania Agency has since been merged with
the Pittsburg agency, and is now known as the
Pittsburg Agency.

On Jan. 17, 1900, Mr. Dechert was mar-
ried to Katherine Price, daughter of John E.
Price, a large dealer in hardware and agri-
cultural implements at Frederick, Md. One
son was born to this union, Howard Price.
The family belongs to the Episcopal Church.
In politics Mr. Dechert is a Republican and



he is a strong uphokler of party principles
without being in any sense a politician. His
fraternal relations ^re with the Masonic Blue
Lodge, the B. P. O. E., the Royal Arcanum,
the Mystic Circle and the Knights of Pythias.

MICHAEL S. SIPE, a prominent citizen
of Springetsbury township, who follows the
carpenter's trade in the village of Pleasure-
ville, was born Sept. 8, 1849, i''^ Pleasureville,
son of George and Mary (Smeltzerj Sipe.

Jacob Sipe, grandfather of Michael S., was
a laborer. He married Elizabeth Knaub, and
had these children : George, Michael, Cath-
erine, Matthew, Eliza, Sarah and Mary.

George Sipe was born in Spring Garden
township, and early in life was a shoemaker,
but later engaged in carpentering. He died in
1900 at the age of sixty-one years. He mar-
ried Mary Smeltzer, who was born in Cones-
toga, ancl died about 1890. Mr. Sipe was a
Republican in politics, and he and his family
were members of the Mt. Zion Lutheran
Church. The children born to George and
Mary Sipe were : John, who resides in Wind-
sor Park, York county, where he follows the
trade of carpenter; Michael S. ; Martin, a
carpenter of Windsor Park; and Alljert E.,
who died at the age of six years.

Michael S. Sipe was reared in Pleasure-
ville, and under his father learned the carpen-
ter's trade. Although Mr. Sipe has given most
of his time to carpentering he is a natural me-
chanic, and can execute work at the tinner's
of gunsmith's bench equally as well as at his
chosen calling. He has also done consid-
erable watch and clock repairing. In politics
Mr. Sipe is a Republican, but has never as-
pired to public office. Fraternally he is afiili-
ated with the Mystic Chain.

On June 21, 1871, Mr. Sipe married Miss
Catherine Kauffman, born in Mancliester
township, York county, daughter of Daniel
Kaufl:'man. These children have been born
to the union : Alvin Edwin, a cigarmaker
by trade, and postmaster at Springet, mar-
ried Miss Mary E. Peters, and they have had
two children, Nettie and one deceased ; Charles
Aaron, a cigarmaker, married Miss Nannie
Spangler, and they have had two children,
Navin (deceased) and Arthur; and William
Martin, a cigarmaker, married JNIiss Annie
Williams, and they have had two children,
Eva and one deceased.



66o



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



]\Ir. Sipe is the owner of a .fine farm in
Springetsbury township, and three good prop-
erties in the village of Pleasureville. He is
progressive and public-spirited, and as a citi-
zen and neighbor Mr. Sipe stands high in the
estimation of the people of Springetsbmy
township. The family are members of the
Lutheran Church.

JESSE STAMBAUGH, who with his
brother, Jonas, takes rank among the prosper-
ous farmers in Jackson township, was born on
the old Stambaugh homestead in that town-
ship, son of Peter and Mary Stambaugh, who
were both also natives of York county.

Peter Stambaugh, Sr., grandfather of
Jesse, was a lifelong farmer in York county.
He married Miss Elizabeth Joseph, and they
had the following children besides Peter, father
of Jesse : John, Jacob, Michael, Henry, Dan-
iel, Fred, Kate, Elizabeth, Susan and Barbara.
The parents were adherents of the Lutheran
faith.

Peter Stambaugh, the younger, was edu-
cated in the subscription schools and was
reared for a farmer's life. He remained at
home for some years, and then became a dis-
tiller of liquors, following that business for
many years, becoming well-to-do. He bought
the old Stambaugh homestead and spent the
latter part of his life there, passing away in
1856, at the age of sixty-one. Mrs. Mary
Stambaugh survived him till 1875, when she
died at the age of seventy-nine. They were
the parents of seven children : Abraham,
Magdalina, Harry, Eliza, Sarah, Jesse and
Jonas. In religion the parents were devout
members of the Reformed Church, while in
politics Mr. Stambaugh was a strong Demo-
crat ; he was active in local matters, being town-
ship supervisor for two years and holding a
number of minor township offices. Highly re-
spected in the community, his death was felt
to be a distinct loss.

Jesse Stambaugh grew up on the old home-
stead, in what was then known as Paradise
(now Jackson) township, and attended school
there in the old log schoolhouse. He re-
mained at home until 1887, when he and his
brother Jonas purchased their present farm,
situated a mile and a half east of the Stam-
baugh place, where they have worked in part-
nership ever since. This homestead is situated
along the Western Maryland railroad, about



one-eighth of a mile from Nashville Station,
G. E. Sprenkle's warehouse, store, postoflice,
and creamery. Jesse Stambaugh has never
married, but Jonas was united to Miss Lydia
Taylor, whose death occurred in 1902, and
since then the two brothers have been even
more dependent upon each other than before.
They are both held in very high esteem and
have a large number of very warm friends.
They are members of the Reformed Church,
and both are Democrats in political sentiment.
Jesse Stambaugh has held the office of school
director.

A. WALTER ORWIG, of York, where
for more than twenty years he has been train-
master of the Northern Central Railroad Co., is
one of the best-known railroad men in this sec-
tion of the State of Pennsylvania. He was born
June 4, 1853, in Shrewsbury, York county, and
is a brother of Mrs. Margaret A. Myers, of
York, whose sketch will be found elsewhere.

Mr. Orwig was educated at the Shrews-
bury Academy, and made especial preparation
for business life by learning telegraphy in the
offices of the- Pennsylvania Railroad system at
York, in 1871. After considerable experience
in this line in various States, he was on March
I, 1879, promoted to the position of train dis-
patcher, and on June 12, 1886, he was still
further promoted, being given the position of
responsibility he now holds — trainmaster and
division operator.

On Sept. 17, 1876, Mr. Orwig was married
to Laura Hinkle, daughter of Daniel Hinkle,
of York, who for many years was connected
with the Northern Central railroad service at
York, where he still resides, at the age of over
eighty years. Mr. and Mrs. Orwig have two
children, viz. : Robert H., assistant super-
visor of the Pennsylvania railroad, born Aug.
10, 1877; and Grace Margaret, a member of
the class of 1905, in the York high school.
The family belongs to Trinity Reformed
Church.

In politics Mr. Orwig is a Republican. His
fraternal connections are with the I. O. O. F.
(lodge and encampment), the B. P. O. E. and
the Pennsylvania Relief Association.

Although Mr. Orwig is a man who leads a
strenuous business life he has found time to
become something ihore than an amateur
photographer and also is not unknown in the
literary world. His friends recognize his con-



BIOGRAPHICAL



66 1



tributions in the various journals, under his
cognomen of "Retlaw Wigro,"' and they are
read because they are interesting as well as
for their literary excellence. Personally Mr.
Orwig is a pleasant man to meet, and he en-
joys the esteem of a very wide circle of
friends.

LEVI PINKERTON was born in 1815 in
Dauphin county, Pa. He was married in 1837
to Catherine Ollise, and to them eight children
were born, four of whom were living when he
moved to York, namely: Harriet (now mar-
ried and living in Ohio), John W., William
W. and George McC. After the death of his
first wife Mr. Pinkerton was again married,
this time to Augustine Harner, in i860. To
them four children were born, only one of
whim is living, Charles M.

Levi Pinkerton's father was a miller by
trade, and Levi worked with him till grown
up, when he interested himself in the coal
business and became a successful coal pros-
pector, developing several coal mines and
breakers for different companies. He was
head boss of same, having at times three hun-
dred men and boys under his employ, with un-
der bosses to assist him. He left the coal re-
gions about 1866, on account of the rough-
ness of the miners, who belonged to the notor-
ious Molly Maguires. Although not afraid of
them he thought best to leave on account of
his family, his first wife having been fright-
ened to death by the "Mollies," who stoned his
house. On several occasions his life was
threatened, but on account of his fearlessness
and square dealings with the men he escaped,
while a number of the bosses were killed. He
moved to Reading, Pa., intending- to enter the
coal business, and all plans were laid for a suc-
cessful venture, but before he got started the
larger dealers of the city cut the prices of coal
to about cost and thereby drove _the small deal-
ers out of business. Accordingly he dropped
that idea, and turned his attention to the dray-
ing business, in which he was successful until
he contracted tO' dray iron ore for a company
which failed, Mr. Pinkerton losing heavily.
He was then engaged to take charge of an
ore mine at Hiestand, about five miles from
York, by the superintendent of the defunct
compau}-. This also failing, he again lost
heavily. It being in the fall of the year 1868
he moved to York to remain until spring, when



he would again move to Reading, and engage
in draying. But he went out on one of the
hills of York and viewed the surrounding coun-
try and decided that in so rich and fertile a
land no man need starve if he had push and
pluck. So he looked around for something to
do, and having been crippled in one limb by
falling from a high trestle some years Ijefore,
at the mines, he turned his attention to busi-
ness, and the following spring started to at-
tend the market at Center Scjuare. His sons
John W. and William \Y. obtained employ-
ment, and Levi Pinkerton and his son George
McC. started business. They turned their at-
tention to selling things not generally handled
by other people at that time. In the fall of
1869 they started selling hot coffee, a venture
which seemed doomed to failure, for only
about three cups were sold' in the morning. So
used were the market people to depending
upon intoxicating lic^uors to keep them warm
that it was considerable trouble to get them to
change, but year after year they held on, the
business increasing until in a few years they
were overcrowded with trade. As they in-
creased their accommodations the business also
grew until they had all they could attend to,
with the limited space allotted, carrying as side
lines wrapping paper and bags, and smoked
fish (of their own curing), which were their
leaders in trade. A few years before the mar-
ket sheds were destroyed they obtained per-
mission to erect a booth under the sheds, in
which they carried on business between
market hours and had a thriving trade.
They then started the manufacture of ice cream,
which business is still carried on at the factory,
located at the rear of No. 539 East King sti'eet,
the ice cream now being sold in small blocks,
wrapped in paper, and vended on the streets
by boys at one cent a block. In engaging in
that business George Pinkerton found the pro-
duction would have to be cheapened and the
labor lessened, and to that end he invented h
machine to mold and cut the blocks cheaply
and cpiickly. It is called the ice cream block
molding and cutting machine, and is an en-
tirely new device, turning out over two thous-
and per hour. It can be operated on the street
with success as a money maker.

George McC. Pinkerton was born in
Schuylkill county in 1856, and atteniled the
public schools for some years after removing to
York, when he left to help his father in busi-



662



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



ness. They were in partnership until the death
of the father, in 1892. In December, 1900,
George ]\IcC. Pinkerton was married to Mrs.
Harriet C. (Mason) King, who has a son,
Edward jNI. King, now attending school.

HARRY E. KLINE, a successful practic-
ing- veterinary surgeon of York, was born Oct.
10, 1836, near Strasburg, Lancaster county,
son of George and Mary (Shenk) Kline, the
former of Avhom was a veterinary surg-eon of
Lancaster county, where he was born and
where he died in 1850. The wife and mother
died in Northumberland.

At the time of ■ the death of his father,
Harry E. Kline was a lad of fourteen years.
He had attended the Strasburg public schools,
but after losing his parents he was thrown
upon his own resources, and forced to obtain
his education as best he could. He secured a
position as clerk in a store at Safe Harbor,
Lancaster county, and, saving his money, was
enabled to attend a school at York under Pro-
fessor White, from which he was graduated in
bookkeeping in 1858. He then took up the
study of veterinary surgery, which he had
studied for a time with his father before the
latter's death, and he began the practice of this
profession in 1862 in Northumberland.

Harry E. Kline married (first) in York
county, Katie E. Kline, only daughter of Rev.
Daniel Kline, and she died in 1861, the mother
of two children, both deceased, Elgeworth E.
and Edwin. Mr. Kline's second marriage was
to Isabelle J. Bacon, daughter of William R.
Bacon, deceased, and to this union were born
children as follows: Katie E., who married
David Fans, of York; William, of York Ha-
ven; Mayme, who married Edward B. Snod-
grass, of Sunbury ; Sarah, the wife of Edward
Hubly, of- East York; Mildred, at home; Cora
B., Mrs. George Miller, of Lancaster ; and
George W. Kline, deceased.

After his second marriage Mr. Kline lo-
cated near York, where he practiced twelve
years, and then to Sunbury, where he remained
fifteen years. He then located in York, where
he has since been engaged very successfully.
Mr. Kline was reared in the faith of the M. E.
Church, but later joined the United Brethren
Church. In politics he has been a lifelong
Republican. In fraternal circles he is con-
nected with Council No. 945, Sunbury, Royal
Arcanum.



FRANKLIN FLINCHBAUGH, who is
one of the progressive and successful farmers
and horticulturists of York township, is a scion
of one of the honored pioneer families of York
county, where he himself has resided from the
time of his birth, so there are many points
which make consistent a consideration of his
career in this publication.

Mr. Flinchbaugh was born in Windsor
township, this county, Nov. 10, 1854, and his
genealogy is traced back to stanch German ori-
gin, though the family name has been identified
with the annals of American history from the
Colonial era to the present. John Flinchbaugh,
grandfather of our subject, was likewise born
in York county, being a son of Frederick
Flinchbaugh, who was one of the early settlers
of . Windsor township, where he reclaimed a
farm in the midst of the forest, there passing
the residue of his life. His son John was born
in Windsor township and there continued to
follow farming until he was summoned from
the scene of life's endeavors. He married Re-
becca Tyson, who likewise died in Windsor
township, both being laid to rest in Lebanon
cemetery, Hopewell township. Of their chil-
dren John and Jacob are deceased, while those
living are Daniel, Sarah, Nancy, Elizabeth,
Lydia Ann, Mary, Rebecca Hake and Freder-
ick,the last named being the father of our sub-
ect.

Frederick Flinchbaugh was born in Wind-
sor township, this county, Feb. 26, 1826, and
he was afforded a common-school education,
his final work as a student being done in a
graded school in Windsor township, which he
attended for three terms. He learned the car-
penter's trade in his youth, becoming a skilled
workman, and he was actively engaged in busi-
ness as a contractor and builder for twoscore
years, having to do with the erection of many
important buildings in this section, numerous
residences and business structures in York
county remaining as monuments to his skill.
He was also successfully engaged in farming,
having owned and conducted the fine place now
owned by his son Frederick, with whom he
has made his home since his retirement from
active business. He is a stanch Republican in
politics and has held various local offices of
trust and responsibility, while to him has ever
been accorded the fullest measure of popular
confidence and esteem.

In 1853 was solemnized the marriage of



BIOGRAPHICAL



663:



Frederick Flinchbaugh to ^liss Lydia Gable,
who was born and reared in Windsor township,
daughter of Jacob and Lydia (Saylor) Galjle.
Her death occurred in York township in 1898,
at which time she was sixty-two years of age ;
the interment was in Hopewell township ceme-
tery. Of the children of this union we enter
the following brief record : Franklin is the
subject proper of this sketch : John J. married
Susan Fitz, and they reside in York township,
where he is a prosperous farmer; Benjamin,
who married Ellen Haney. is a farmer ot
North Hopewell township; Levi, a farmer of
Windsor township, married Susan Hake ;
Emanuel, a farmer of North Hopewell town-
ship, married Annie Sentz; Frederick. Jr.. who
resides on the old home farm in Windsor town-
ship, married Ida Smeltzer; Alalinda is the
wife of Titus Knisley, of Red Lion, this coun-
ty; Ellen is the wife of Frank Runkel, of
Windsor township ; \\'illiam and Lydia Ann
are deceased.

Franklin Flinchbaugh, the oldest of the
children enumerated above, passed his youthful
days on the home farm in Windsor township,
while he duly availed himself of the advantages
of the public schools of the locality and period.
At the age of twenty-three years he was mar-
ried, and he soon afterward located in Hellam
township, where he first devoted his attention
principally to the raising of tobacco, but finally
engaged in general farming", being associated
with John ]\Iusser for a period of four years.
He then came to York township and purchased
a farm of ninety acres, securing the property
from the York Trust Company, of York. He
has since given his undivided attention to the
supervision of this fine property, the place being
under a high state of cultivation and de\-oted
to general agriculture, while he has made many
improvements, supplementing those which had
been made prior to his purchase of the farm.
In addition to. the general agricultural products
commonh' grown in this locality Mr. Flinch-
baugh makes a specialty of raising vegetables,
for which he finds a ready demand in the mar-
kets at York, making this a profitable branch
of his farming enterprise. He is a Democrat
in his political faith and allegiance, and is ever
ready to lend his aid in the fiu'therance of en-
terprises for the general welfare of his town-
ship and county. He was reared in the faith
of the Lutheran Church, and his wife is a
member of the Ri\-er Brethren.



On March 18, 1S76, ;\Ir. Flinchbaugh was
united in marriage to Aliss Caroline Kohler,
who was born and reared in York county,
daughter of George and Sarah Kohler, both
of whom are now deceased; her father was a
farmer by vocation. ]\Ir. and JNIrs. Flinch-
baugh ha\-e two children. Ellen and John Fred-
erick, both of whom remain at the parental
home.

JOHN J. FRANK, a lifelong resident of
York, is the general agent for the Fairbanks
Scales Company, representing the company
direct in central Pennsylvania. He was born
on North George street, in the house that stood



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 126 of 201)