Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 127 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 127 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


next to Small's warehouse, July 4, 1840.

Nicholas Frank, the lather of our subject,
came from one of the old and wealthy families
of Ba\-aria, Germany, owning lands on the
Rhine. He served fourteen years in the Ger-
man arm\', se\"en on his own account, and seveir
years for a brother. He was in the cavalry
service, was a fine horseman and was noted for
his skill with the sabre. He came to the United
States with a large fortune, dying here at the
age of seventy-six years. He married Maria
Adelaide Bruggerman, born Aug". 23. 1813,
and she died Sept. 25, 1868. They were mem-
bers of the Lutheran Church. To them these
children were born : Mary, who died in in-
fancy ; John J. ; George Joseph, deceased ; INIary
Ann, deceased; and Adelaide Ellen, deceased.

John J. Frank attended the public schools
in York, and learned the trade of building oscil-
lating steam engines with Marion Gardner,
with whom he remained three years. He thei"E
engaged with Inglefritz & White, car builders
and builders of reaping and mowing machin-
ery. After leaving this firm !Mr. Frank learned
the scale business with Root & Case, proprie-
tors of the York Scale \\'orks. established in
1838. located on West North street, near North
George street, and was soon promoted to be
foreman. On the death of Mr. Case, in 1882,
Mr. Frank purchased a one-half interest in the
business, which was then known as Root &
Frank. A few years later. ^Ir. Frank pur-
chased Mr. Root's interest, becoming sole
owner, and he continued the business for about
ten years, at the end of which time he sold the
buildings to the York Carriage Manufacturing:
Company, and disposed of his machinery and
appliances, selling his patterns and good will
to the Fairbanks Scale Company. In 1892 he



664



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



became general agent for the Fairbanks Scales
Company, and has continned with this firm to
the present time, covering their interests in the
greater part of the State of Pennsylvania.

Mr. Frank was married in i860, in York,
to Miss Elizabeth Banner, who died Jan. 22,
1902, aged sixty-three years. In October,
1904, Mr. Frank married his first wife's sister,
Mary A. Banner. By his first wife Mr. Frank
had these children : Harr}' Emerson, who mar-
ried Sue Hiestand Gable, of Hellam, Pa. ; and
Mazie Adeline, the wife of the Rev. Charles
M. Barnitz, now stationed at Osceola Mills,
Clearfield Co., Pa. Mr. Frank's first wife was
activel} interested in church work, attending
Zion's Lutheran Church, and was prominent in
the Ladies Aid and Missionary societies, and
her sister, the present Mrs. Frank, has been
similarly active. For eighteen years Mr. Frank
has been an elder in this church, which he
joined when a boy, has also been a teacher in
the Sunday-school, and he is treasurer of the
pew collections. Fraternally Mr. Frank is con-
nected with Mt. Zion Lodge, F. & A. M., No.
74, and Mt. Vernon Encampment. He
has been a Republican all his life. Mr. Frank
is a self-made man, having amassed a fortune
through honesty, thrift and industry. He is
one of the largest property holders in the city
of York, and a heavy stockholder in some of
the leading banks, and other large corporations
of York.

SAMUEL W. MYERS, a well known
farmer of Monaghan township, York county,
who has followed the pursuits of an agricult-
urist all, his life, was born in that township
Nov. 16, 1851, son of Samuel and Leah (Kim-
mel) Myers. He worked on the home farm
until he was twenty-four years old, when he
started in life for himself. In 1875 ^^^ rented
a small place, and worked by * the day until
1876, when he went to farming on the place
where he now lives. He farmed for a number
of years and then bought the farm of his
father, consisting of seventy-eight acres, and
by hard work has succeeded in establishing
himself in a comfortable home. In 1874 Mr.
Myers married Miss Matilda C. Taylor, daugh-
ter of John I. and Ellen Taylor, who was born
in New Jersey. Her parents were both natives
of Scotland, and Mr. Taylor was one of the
best mechanics in the State. The children born
to Mr. and Mrs. Myers are as follows : Ira N.,
Leo B., and Milton B.



Mr. and Mrs. Myers, in religious belief, are
connected with the Church of God. As a
stanch Republican Mr. Myers has been c]uite
prominent in politics, having been judge of elec-
tions and served as a juryman. Whatever suc-
cess he has gained has been honestly earned,
and he is highly esteemed as a good farmer, a
desirable neighbor and a first-class citizen.

JOHN HENRY SINNER, of Washing-
ton township, was born in Manheim township,
York county, March 25. 1845, son of John H.
and Barbara (Bear) Sinner.

The grandfather of John Henry Sinner,
also named John H., was born in Hanover,
Germany, and came to America in 1835. land-
ing at Baltimore, Md. After a few years he
removed to Pleasant Hill, in W^est Manheim
township, York Co., Pa., where he bought a
small farm of eight acres of land, and he con-
tinued to live there until his death, which oc-
curred when he was aged eighty-seven years.
Both he and his wife Catherine are buried at
Sherman's Church in the same township. In
his native land he was a tailor, but followed
farming in America. His two children were
John H. and Sophia.

John H. Sinner (2), son of John H., and
father of our subject, was born in Germany,
attended school there, and prior to coming- to
America with his parents served his allotted
time in the German army. He crossed the
ocean in another vessel, however, as his terin
had not quite expired when his father sailed,
and he did not reach Baltimore until 1840.
Like his father he was a tailor in Germany,
but farming possessed more attractions for him
after coming to the United States. He fol-
lowed farming- in Manheim township until his
death at the age of forty years. He married
Barbara Bear, a daughter of Michael Bear,
who lived near Hanover, Pa. She and her
husband were interred at the Sherman Church
burying ground. He was a highly respected
man, one who was honest and upright in all
his dealings. The children of the above union
were : Katie, wife of John Biddle, of near
Hanover ; John H. ; Jeremiah, deceased, who
married Susan Kehr, and resides in Spring
Grove, Pa. ; and Sophia, wife of Christian
Hoke, of Weigelstown, Bover township.

John H. Sinner, the third to bear the name,
attended the schools of Manheim township
until thirteen years old, and then spent his
summers working for neighboring farmers, and



BIOGRAPHICAL



665



his winters in a machine sliop in East Berlin,
taking a great deal of interest in the blacksmith
business. He also drove cattle to Baltimore in
the fall and winter seasons on some occasions.
In 1864 he enlisted in the United States serv-
ice, entering Company I, 209th P. V. I., and
served faithfully until he was mustered out at
Alexandria, June 22, 1865. He took part in a
number of battles, including Fort Steadman
and Petersburg-, in all of which he bore himself
as a brave and loyal man and courageous
soldier.

After the close of the war, Mr. Sinner re-
turned to York county, working a part of the
time aS a day laborer, and for three years was
in the employ of John Hoover, in Adams coun-
ty, and was with George Heiks one year. In
1870 he opened a blacksmith shop at Porters
Sideling, where he lived for twenty-four years,
working as a blacksmith for sixteen years, and
during the remaining time was in the produce
business. On Dec. 14, 1893, he came to his
present home in Washington township, which
consists of a tract of sixty-nine and three-
tenth acres, which he bought of John Shell.
When Mr. Sinner purchased this farm it was
in a very neglected state, and it required much
hard and persevering- work to make it what it
is to-day, one of the best farms in the town-
ship. He engaged first in a produce business,
and had a marketing route in Baltimore, Md.,
but for the past few years he has given his at-
tention entirely to general farming.

On Dec. 28, 1873, Mr. Sinner was mar-
ried to Kate A. Hofifman, daughter of Michael
Hoffman, of Codorus township. They have
four children, J. Harry, Emma B., William
Andrew and Emanuel J. The eldest son is a
graduate of the York School of Business, and
is a young man of talent, now engaged as book-
keeper and stenographer with a lumber com-
pany at Hanover. Emma B. married H. H.
Wallace, of Washington township. W'illiam
Andrew is at home assisting his father, and is
the local correspondent of the East Berlin
papers an.d the York Ga:::cttc. The 3'oungest
son is also at home. In politics Mr. Sinner is
a Democrat. The entire family belong to the
Reformed Church, in which Mr. Sinner has
been a deacon for the past four years.

JAMES A. WALKER, in whose charac-
ter is represented the qualities of upright man-
hood, loyalty in citizenship, reliability in busi-



ness, conscientiousness in discharge of the du-
ties of private life — and these are so combined
as to make his a sti'ong personality, command-
ing respect and confidence — is one of the pop-
ular business men of York, where he conducts
a well-equipped establishment as a dealer in
stoves and general house-furnishing goods.
Mr. Walker comes of stanch Scotch-Irish
stock, though the family was early founded in
America and in the State of Pennsylvania.

Robert Walker, grandfather of James A.,
was a millwright by trade, and he died in 1837.

Robert Reel Walker, father of our subject,
was eighty-two years of age at the time of his
demise in 1899. He was a carpenter and mill-
wright, and passed practically his entire life in
Butler county. Pa. His wife, whose maiden
name was Jane H. Wallace, was born in Butler
county, and is still living, now at the advanced
age of eighty-two years. Of the eleven chil-
dren in the family one died in infancy, and the
others were ; Alpheus, a contractor and
builder of Washington, Ivans. ; Asher B., en-
gaged in the oil business in Bradford, Pa. ;
Horace, a driller of artesian wells at St. Au-
gustine, Fla. ; John H., engaged in the whole-
sale paper business in Erie, Pa. ; Samuel R.,
a contracting carpenter of Harrisville, Pa. ;
William W., a banker and oil producer of
Parkersburg, W. Va. ; Innocenza, who mar-
ried John S. Hodil, a wholesale grocer of Alle-
gheny, Pa. ; Jennie and Catherine, at the old
homestead ; and James A.

James A. Walker was born in Harrisville,
Butler Co., Pa., June 11, 1854, and in that
locality he secured his early educational train-
ing in the public schools, which he attended
until he was fifteen years of age. He then en-
tered a country store, and was employed there
until he had attained his legal majority. There-
after he was identified with the g-eneral hard-
ware trade in the city of Bradford, Pa., until
1889, when he came to York, and here engaged
in his present line of enterprise, in which he
has since continued. His establishment has
from the beginning been located at No. 48
North George street, and a select and compre-
hensive stock is carried, while by fair dealing
and correct methods he has built up a most
prosperous business, based upon the popular
confidence and esteem which are so uniformly
accorded him. The attractive family hon-ie is
at No. 422 North Beaver street. In politics
Mr. ^A"alker maintains an independent attitude.



666



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



and fraternally he is a Knight Templar Ma-
son, and is also a member of York Lodge, No.
213, B. P. O. E.

On May 19, 1880, 'Sir. AA'alker was united
in marriage Avith Miss Lizzie G. Elrick, daugh-
ter of Dr. John H. Elrick, a prominent prac-
ticing physician of Harrisville, Pa. Of the
five children born to this union, the first born
died in infancy, not named ; Mary Jane and
James A. died in infancy; Charles E., who is
a graduate of the York Collegiate Institute, is
bookkeeper for his father; and Elizabeth is a
member of the class of 1906, York Collegiate
Institute.

CHARLES A. SPANGLER was born in
Newberry township, in 1867, son of Jacob and
Mary (Krone) Spangler, and at Goldsboro in
hi-s native township is engaged in business.

Jacob Spangler. grandfather of Charles A.,
was born in Lancaster county, and died in
York county.

Llis son, Jacob Sjaangler, Jr., was born in
Lancaster county, where he was a laborer.
Locating in i860, in Newberry township, York
county, he followed fence making and farm-
ing, and died in 1891. His wife was Mary
Krone, daughter of George Krone, and she
is now living at GoldsborO' with our subject.
The children born to Jacob and Mary Spang-
ler were : Alfred, who married Ida Mansberger,
and they live on the old homestead in New-
berry township ; Francis, who married Barbara
Mann, and they live at West Fairview, Cum-
berland county, where he follows farming;
Zacharias, who died young ; George, who died
at the age of eighteen years ; Edward, who mar-
ried Lydia Gensler, and lives in York; Harry,
who married Annie Zinn, and follows farming
in Cumberland county ; Charles A. ; and Dora,
who married Louis Gross, an undertaker and
furniture dealer of Goldsboro.

Charles A. Spangler attended the Mt. View
school of Newberry township until eighteen
years of age, and then went to Clay county,
Iowa, where he followed farming five years, at
the end of that time returning to Newberry
townshiji In the years of 1901 and 1902 Mr.
Spangler had charge of the flour mill of P. A.
& S. Small. At this time he engaged in the
wholesale and retail flour, feetl, grain, and
salt business, whicl: he has continued up to the
present time, and has been very successful in
this undertaking. Lie has a large warehouse



along the Northern Central railroad at Golds-
boro, and finds ready sale for his products in
the community.

Mr. Spangler has never been married, and
lives at home with his mother. In politics he
is a Republican, and has served very accept-
ably as councilman and borough treasurer. He
is a member of the Church of God, in which
he is deacon, and has been very active in Sun-
day-school work. He is very highly esteemed
in the community, and counts his friends in
hosts.

George Krone, Mr. Spangler's maternal
grandfather, was born in York county, near
York, son of John Krone, who was a shoe-
maker by trade, and died in York county.
George Krone followed farming in Newberry
township, and died near York, where he is
buried. Mr. Krone married Dorothy Mickey,
daughter of John Mickey, and she died in York,
being interred at Quickel's Chuixh, Conewago
township. The children born to A-Ir. and Mrs.
Krone were as follows : Henry, who died in
York in 1900; Sarah, who married William
Bowers, and lives in York county; Mary,
mother of our subject; Catherine, who married
Zacharias Miller, and died at Spring Grove;
Caroline, who married John Willis, and
died at Goldsboro; John, living in Adams
county, near Gettysburg; George, living
in York city; Emanuel, who died at York
Haven ; Jacob, a resident of Baltimore ; and
William Fritz, a 'half-brother to Mrs. Spang-
ler, who lives in Conewago township.

CHARLES C. KOTTCAM'P. We have at
this point the privilege of entering a brief re-
view of the career of one of York county's
exemplary citizens and successful business men
— one who has in a significant sense been the
architect of his own fortunes, but who has
not hedged himself in with selfish personal in-
terests, but has ever proved loyal to the duties
and responsibdities of citizenship in time of
peace, while in the war of the Rebellion he
went forth to do A^aliant service in defense of
his country. Mr. Kottcamp is senior member
of the well-known firm of C. C. Kottcamp &
Son, which has a well-equipped establishment
in the city of York, and which controls a large
business in plumbing, gas-fitting, slate roofing,
spouting, etc., while carrying also a full line of
stoves, ranges and supplies.

Charles C. Kottcamp was born in Germany



BIOGRAPHICAL



667



May 13, 1846, and was there reared to the
age of seven years, when his mother, Regina
(\V'eiiTian) Kottcamp, emigrated to America,
the father having died in Germany. They
landed in ^ the city of Baltimore, Md., and
settled in York, Pa. The devoted mother
passed away in 1887.

Charles C. Kottcamp early found it in-
cumbent upon him to aid in the maintenance
of the family, so that his educational advan-
tages were limited to the district schools, which
he attended until he had attained the age of
twelve years. He then began the practical
work of life, while he has never failed to profit
from the valuable lessons to be gained in the
school of experience. He entered the employ
of Daniel D. Doudle, with whom he learned
the tinner's trade, serving" a three years" ap-
prenticeship in York. In July, 1864, Mr. Kott-
camp, who was then about eighteen years of
age, enlisted as a private in Company H, 200th
P. V. I., commanded by Col. Deven, and with
his regiment he continued in active service until
the close of the war, receiving his honorable
discharg-e in May, 1865. He was assigned
principally to garrison duty and was stationed
at Fort Steadman, Va., taking part in several
battles and skirmishes in that locality. On
March 25, 1865, while with the reserves in the
rear at Fort Steadman he was wounded and
taken to City Point Hospital, later to Armory
Square, Washington, whence he was ordered
to Camp Curtin for his final discharge.

After the close of his military career Mr.
Kottcamp returned to York and completed his
apprenticeship at the tinning trade. In 1867
he started in business on his own account, in
the lines to which he is now devoting his at-
tention. He has built vip a fine industrial enter-
prise, one of the principal ones of its kind in
this section. The headquarters of the firm are
located in a substantial frame structure at No.
515 West Market street, the building being
two stories in height, and 16x75 feet in dimen-
sions, while it is well-stocked in all depart-
ments, and well-equipped for the easy handling
of a large business. In igoi Mr. Kottcamp
admitted his son, Harrj' E., to partnership, and
the present firm name was adopted at the time.
The junior member of the firm is an energetic
and capable young business man and proves a
capable coadjutor to his father. Mr. Kott-
camp's course of action in all the relations of
life has been such as to gain and retain the un-



qualified confidence and regard of his fellow-
men. In politics Mr. Kottcamp is a stanch Re-
publican, but he has never sought official pre-
ferment. Both he and his wife are prominent
and valued members of the First United
Brethren Church, with which he has been
identified for more than two score of years.

In 1868 Mr. Kottcamp was united in mar-
riage with Miss Sarah Rudisill, of York,
daughter of Rev. Abraham Rudisill, who was
a prominent member of the clergy of the United
Brethren Church. Mrs. Kottcamp passed to
the life eternal in 1890. Her children were:
Myrtle C, bookkeeper and stenographer in her
father's establishment; A. Francis, a druggist
in Brooklyn, N. Y. ; Dr. Edward C, a graduate
of the Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia,
now engaged in practice in Philadelphia ; Harry
E., associated with his father in business; Her-
bert A., a skilled electrician employed at his
profession in Baltimore, Md. ; John P., a grad-
uate of State College, near Bellefonte, Center
Co., Pa., and now an instructor; and Horace
A., a student. In 1892 Mr. Kottcamp was mar-
ried to Miss Sallie Reisinger, of York, daugh-
ter of William Reisinger. Mr. and Mrs. Kott-
camp have one daughter, Regina M., who is at-
tending the city schools.

WILLIAM E. SPRENKLE, one of the
substantial and representative farmers of
Jackson township, was born in West Manches-
ter, York county, Feb. 16, 1857, son of George
W. and Sarah (Emig) Sprenkle.

David Sprenkle, grandfather of our sub-
ject, was born on a farm in York county, and
followed agricultural pursuits all his life. As
a man he was a model citizen, and owned one
of the finest farms of West Manchester, which
is nov\^ owned by the Sprenkle family. He
married Lydia Witmer, daughter of early set-
tlers, the family being well known in this
county.

George W. Sprenkle, the father, was born
in 1828, and still resides in West Manchester,
living a retired life on his farm of 140 acres,
which is in a high state of cultivation. His
years of active life are now over, and he is now
surrounded by all that makes life dear — affec-
tionate friends, devoted descendants, ample
means and a wide circle of estimable fellow cit-
izens who hold him in the highest regard. His
wife, Sarah, was. born on the old Emig home-
stead in Jackson township, in the vicinity of



66S



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Nashville, in 1830, daughter of Valentine and
Rebecca (Loucks) Emig. William E.
Sprenkle is one of a family of five children, the
others being : Amanda, wife of William Yost,
resides in North York; Franklin E. is a pros-
perous farmer ; William E. ; Isabella, is now
]\Irs. Lightner, and a widow ; and George E.
is a prosperous merchant and postmaster at
Nashville.

William E. Sprenkle received his education
in the district schools in West Manchester
township, and at the age of seventeen started
working on the home farm, assisting his father
until he was twenty-three, at which time he
commenced farming- for himself, locating on
the old homestead farm of Valentine Emig in
Jackson township, which contained 190 acres.

In 1 88 1 Mr. Sprenkle was married to Miss
Mary Brillhard, of Springfield township, York
county, daughter of Jacob and Rebecca (Yost)
Brillhard. Mr. Sprenkle passed away in 1899,
a faithful wife and loyal friend. She was a
devout member of the Reformed Church, and
was buried at the Wolfs Church cemetery.
On April 18, 1905, Mr. Sprenkle was married
(second) to Miss Mary L. Stump, of Womels-
dorf, Berks county, daughter of Wayne and
Emma (Marshall) Stump. Mrs. Sprenkle is
a member of the Reformed Church of Womels-
dorf.

ilr. Sprenkle is the owner of two goo.d
farms aggregating some 400 acres, all in a
high state of cultivation, upon which there are
good, modern, substantial buildings. He also
owns some ten houses in Nashville which he
rents, and a cigar factory. In poHtics he is a
Democrat, and a member of the school board.
In religion he is a member of what is known
as Wolf's Reformed Church, in which he has
been both a deacon and elder. Mr. Sprenkle
took to agricultural pursuits at an early age,
and has followed that occupation throughout
life, meeting with great success. He is a care-
ful business man, manages his affairs judi-
ciously, and is possessed of tireless energy. He
has many friends througliout the community
and is exceedingly popular.

WILLIAM A. BUBB, a prominent mer-
chant in Codorus township, York county, was
born in 1858, in that township, son of Lewis
D. Bubb, and grandson of Lewis Bubb.

Lewis Bubb was reared in Se\-en Valley,



and when a young man learned the shoemak-
ing trade, later in life working in Codorus
township, where he died in 1844, and was
buried at the Stone Church. He married Polly
Dugan, and they had these children : Amos ;
Flenry ; Lewis D. ; Edward ; Samuel ; and
Leah, who married Noah Gantz.

Lewis D. Bubb, father of William A., was
born in Codorus township, July i, 1833, and
there learned the blacksmith's trade, which he
followed for fifty years. He then retired from
active work, and since July 10, 1902, has lived
a quiet life at Bonair. Mr. Bubb married
Sarah Ann Shearer, daughter of Daniel
Shearer, of Maryland, and she died in Septem-
ber, 1902, being buried at Fiscel's Church, in
Shrewsbury township. He is a Lutheran, and
has served as deacon and as leader in the choir.
For thirty years Mr. Bubb has been connected
with bands, being first with the Codorus Union
Band, and later organizing- the well-known
Bonair Band, of which he was leader for
twenty-five years, and which started with six-
teen members. Few men are better known in
York county musical circle's than he. Mr.
Bubb's children are as follows: Lewis H., of
Codorus township ; William A. ; Elmer B. ;
Daniel F. ; Martha; Lydia A._; Alphus C. ;
Emanuel and Phoebe M.

William A. Bubb attended the township
schools until sixteen years of age, and then
worked for his father at farming until twenty-
three years of age, when he purchased a fine
farm of sixty acres near Bonair. He also
built and operated a creamery, and has been in
that business since 1898, sending his butter to
Baltimore, where he finds a ready market. In
February, 1903, he was appointed manager of



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 127 of 201)