Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 129 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 129 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


died young; one who died in infancy; and
Leah, who died young.

Michael Malehorn, father of John B., was
born Eeb. 22, 1823, in Manchester township,
where he received a common-school educa-
tion. For a number of years he worked by the
day among the farmers of his township. In
March, 1847, he married Sarah Bull, daughter
of John and Catherine (Brenner) Bull, and
alter marriage spent a few years in Conewago
township. In 1898 Mr. Malehorn removed to
]\It. Wolf, where he and his wife are living
Avith their son Levi, retired from activity. The
children born to Michael Malehorn and his
worthy wife are" as follows : John B. : Levi
married Emma Rodes, and lives at Mt. Wolf;
Eliza died in 1901 ; Catherine died young;
William married Mary Metzger, and removed
to Salunga, Lancaster county; Jacob married
Amanda Nye, and resides at Mt. Wolf; An-
drew married Caroline Hartman, deceased, and
lives at York Haven; Elijah died at the agei
of seven years; Leah married William Rich-
creek, and lives at York; Annie married Ben-
jamin Myers, and resides in North York
borough; Emma died in infancy; Henry died
at the age of seven years ; and Samuel died at
the age of four years.

John B. Malehorn received his education
in the township schools of Manchester town-
ship. In September, 1864, he enlisted in Com-
pany D, 200tli P. V. I., and served eleven
months, engaging in the battles of Fort Stead-
man, Petersburg, Butler's Front and several
smaller engagements, and while in battle re-
ceived a wound in his left side. After the
war Mr. Malehorn returned to Pennsylvania,
and worked among the farmers until 1869,
and was later employed by the Northern Cen-
tral Railroad for six years. Fie then resigned
bis position and went to toljacco farming in



JManchester township, and about that time was
assessor and tax collector of Manchester town-
ship. He entered the employ of the York
Haven Paper Company, in 1885, as a laborer,
but in 1900 was made foreman of the oil house,
which position he still holds.

In 1870 Mr. Malehorn married Anna
Rodes, daughter of Daniel and Susan ( Palmer)
Rodes, of Manchester township. Mrs. Male-
horn's parents are both deceased. The chil-
dren born to Mr. and Mrs. Malehorn are as
follows : Albert Henry, who lives in Phila-
delphia ; Edward Harvey, who lives at York
Haven, and is employed by the Pennsylvania
railroad ; Ellen, who married Wilson Bailey,
and lives at Mt. Wolf; John F., a paper maker,
who resides in Philadelphia ; Laura, who mar-
ried Joseph Swiler, and lives at Harrisburg;
Sadie, who married W. S. Shelley, and lives at
York Haven; Clarence, a clerk at Phila-
delphia; Annie K., who married William
Dietz, and lives at York, Pa.; Charles C, at
home'; and Cora E. and Emma E., who re-
side at home.

In politics a Republican, ]Mr. Z\Ialehorn
has been very active in party affairs, and from
1897 to 1 90 1 was postmaster at York Haven.
He was the first chief burgess of York Haven
borough, serve.d three years, was constable
three years in the township, and has collected
State, county and school tax. He has been a
member of the United Brethren Church for
many years, and has been trustee and church
treasurer. Mr. Malehorn has the reputation of
being a man of integrity and honesty. He is
■\'ery well known and highly respected through-
out the community.

JOSEPH WILHELM STRASBAUGH
is a grandson of John Strasbaugh, a farmer of
Spring Grove, York county, and a son of Peter
and Elizabeth (Wilhelm) Strasbaugh. The
former, who was a farmer, died in 1902, in his
eighty-first year, and the latter belonged to a
prominent East Manchester township family.
Three children were born to Peter and Eliza-
beth Strasbaugh : Albert, who is in the cigar
business at Perkasie, Pa. ; Emma E., who mar-
ried Robert Yingling; and Joseph Wilhelm.

Joseph Wilhelm Strasbaugh was born on
the old homestead, the old Smyser farm in
Spring Grove, July 30. 1864, and was edu-
cated in the schools of Windsor township. He
was reared to the life of an ao'riculturist. work-



BIOGRAPHICAL



67=



ing on his father's farm until he was twenty
years of age, when he went to cigar making
and packing, being thus engaged from 1884
until Sept. i, 1904. He then became manager
for the Wheeler & Wilson Sewing Machine
Company in York, and the business has grown
rapidly under his efficient management, the
well-known and time-honored Wheeler & Wil-
son machine having, through his efforts, found
■ an extensive market in York county.

Mr. Strasbaugh was married Dec. 13, 18S5,
to Ellen Naylor, daughter of Robert Naylor,
a well-known hotel-keeper of Weigelstown,
York county, and one child has been born to
this union, Annie, who married William Storm,
a molder of Hanover. Mr. Strasbaugh fra-
ternally is connected with the Odd Fellows, and
belongs to the Myers & Adams Beneficial As-
sociation. In his religious views he is identi-
fied with the Reformed Church. In politics
he is a Democrat.

JOHN KUNTZ, a preacher and revivalist
of York county, and also a man of large and
varied industrial interests, is of German de-
scent, and of the second generation l^orn in
America.

Philip Kuntz, grandfather of John, was
born in Germany, but came to this country and
settled in York county, Pa., on land near the
township line of Franklin and .Carroll, a tract
now owned by the Breneman's, Benders, and
Bettingers. He was by trade a millwright,
but also followed farming. He died in 181 5,
advanced in years. His wife's maiden name
was Shimp, and she bore her husband eight
children : ( i) Michael, a resident of Mt. Rock,
Cumberland county, was a teamster and
farmer, and died in 1880. He left an only
son, William, who lived near New Kingston,
married a Miss Brannon, and had three chil-
dren, viz. : William ; Annie, who became the
wife of Mr. Fortenbaugh, now deceased, of
Middlesex; and Mary, living in Middlesex. (2)
Philip, a farmer and millwright in Franklin
township, married Mrs. Andy Mumper, whose
maiden name was Seidle. Philip died in 1862,
aged seventy-nine, and his wife died in 1882,
at York Springs. They had the following
children : John, of Nebraska ; Lizzie, wife of
William Fickel, of York Springs, both de-
ceased ; Henry, deceased, who married a Miss
Shenk ; Samuel, a well known professor in
Washington, D. C, now deceased. ( 3 ) Jacob



died when twenty-one years old. (4) Eliza-
beth became the wife of Peter HolTman, of
Perry county, near Bloomfield. Both are now
dead, leaving children, George, and Mrs.
Hughes. (5) Mary married Henry Graybill,
of York Springs, and later of Hanover. Both
are deceased. They were the parents of Henri-
etta, late wife of Mr. Keeny, of York; and
Eliza, residing in Minnesota. (6) Rebecca
married George Beltzhoover, whose home was
near Kingston. Neither is now living. Their
children were: Michael, who married Miss
Mary Bricker, of Boiling Springs, and had
three children, Jacob (now deceased, who left
two sons, Frank, a lawyer of Carlisle, Cum-
berland Co., Pa.; and Jacob), Michael and
Alice; and George, of Franklintown, who mar-
ried Miss Elizabeth Kuntz, both deceased. (7)
Susanna married Henry Sidle, a blacksmith
by trade, who settled with his family in Minne-
sota. Their children were : Samuel, who mar-
ried a I\Iiss Camel, and died in Carroll town-
ship ; Jacob, who married Miss Margaret De-
hoff, and moved to Minnesota, and Henry, also
a resident of Minnesota, and married to Miss
Katie Katz. (8) John.

John Kuntz was born in 1800, in what is
now Franklin township. He learned the car-
penters' trade in his youth, and followed that
calling until his marriage, after which he
turned his attention to farming and carpenter-
ing. He was a Democrat in politics, held
\'arious township offices, and served. as judge
and clerk of elections, while in religion his
affiliations were with the German Reformed
Church, of which he was a member. His mar-
riage occurred in 1822, to Susan, daughter of
Michael Harbold, and they had a large fam-
ily. Mr. Kuntz died in 1879, aged seventy-
nine years. Their children numbered teii :
(i) Catherine and (2) Michael are both de-
ceased. (3) Elizabeth, wife of George Beltz-
hoover, is now deceased. (4) Sarah married
William Filler, and died leaving two children :
Susanna, Mrs. Kapp ; and Sarah, deceased.
(5) Anglehard, deceased, married Miss Cath-
erine Day. The widow now lives in Dills-
burg, the mother of John, deceased ; Susan,
Mrs. Granville Nickey, of Hanover; Eliza-
beth, Mrs. David Evans, of Martinsburg, Va. ;
Philip, deceased; and Mary. (6) John is the
subject of this sketch. (7) Philip married
Miss May Stauffer, and has two children :
John, who married a iMiss Deardorff; and



676



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Annie, Mrs. William Fickel. (8) Susanna,
now deceased, was twice married. After the
death of her trrst husband, Franklin ^Volf, she
became the wife of William Altland, who is
still living. She had one daughter by the sec-
ond union, Cora, who married Clinton Myers,
lives at Big Mount, and has one son, Lloyd.
(9) Polly died unmarried. (10) Eliza Ann,
now deceased, married Henry Klugh, of Frank-
lin township, and had five children : Georgia,
wife of John Heikes, of Mechanicsburg; Mary;
John, now in the west; Harry, living in
Mechanicsburg; and Clara, now deceased.

John Kuntz was born in Reading township,
Adams county, Jan. 22, 1835, and attended
the county schools until he was sixteen. He
then went to Berlin to learn carpentering, and
after mastering his trade followed it for about
a year in the northern part of the State, and
then settled in Carroll township, where he was
occupied both in carpentering and in lime
burning. In 1886 he bought 4,000 acres of
land, 600 of which were in Perry county, and
the rest in Cumberland, and this immense
tract he sold again in 1893 to Philadelphia
capitalists. Mr. Kuntz now resides on the old
homestead, which is a piece of property rich in
a variety of mineral deposits. Besides mining-
great quantities of copper ore, which he has
shipped to Jersey City, he has also developed
rich deposits of spruce and yellow ochre, umber,
buff and white clay, and in the near future
is planning to open up quarries of the fine
marble which his place contains. In connec-
tion with all these other industries, Mr. Kuntz
also runs a shingle mill with a capacity of
10,000 shingles a day, and a chop mill run by
a thirty horse power engine. Another inter-
esting feature of his property is the large -cav-
erns which extend under the mountainous por-
tion of his place, one of which has been ex-
plored a distance of 600 feet.

On Oct. 3, 1858, Mr. Kuntz was married
to Miss Anna Mary Myers, daughter of Bar-
nett and Elizabeth (Elicker) Myers, and
granddaughter of Ludwig Myers. To this
union were born a son and daughter, as fol-
lows : Louis, who was his father's assistant
until his death in March, 1901, married Miss
Sadie Moyer, daughter of George Moyer, and
had three children, Letitia, Mamie and Will-
iam; and Elizabeth died at the age of six. Mr.
Kuntz's granddaughter, Letitia, graduated
from Shippensburg Normal School in June,



1902, and, Jan. 2, 1906, was married to Harry
J. Strayer, of Latimore, Adams Co., Pennsyl-
vania.

In addition to all the responsibilities and
cares entailed by his forty-four years of active
business life, Mr. Kuntz has always taken a
deep interest in religious matters, and was a
minister of the Evangelical Association. Until
recently Mr. Kuntz was quite active, but on
Oct. 16, 1905, he went to Philadelphia on busi-
ness, and while there suffered a paralytic stroke.
His good wife hastened to him, and brought
him home and under her devoted care he is im-
proving, although his left side is still paralyzed.

JACOB B. KUNKEL, of Warrington
township, was born March 12, 1861, at the
old mill property on Conewago Creek, in that
township. His ancestors for many years have
been prominent in the milling business.

Gottleib Kunkel, great-great-grandfather
of Jacob B., emigrated to America in 1763, and
landed in Philadelphia, from which place he
made his way to Yorktown, which is now
known as the city of York. From there he
proceeded to Warrington township, and set-
tled on Conewago Creek, the beautiful little
stream which the Indians named Canna Wage,
the meaning of which was that it was too deep
to wade. Being a miller and a millwright,
Gottlieb Kunkel here built a mill, being assisted
by the Indians of the region with whom he
became friendly. This mill structure was of
rough hewn logs, and the apparatus for grind-
ing wheat and corn was of native sandstone.
The power was derived from an undershot
wheel and iron gudgeon, and ironstone was
used for the bearings. In connection with the
mill he took up 640 acres of land. He had
three daughters and two sons, among whom
he divided his property.

Belshur, one of the sons of Gottleib, re-
ceived the mill property, which, at his death,
reverted to his son Peter, who was our sub-
ject's grandfather.

Peter Kunkel married at York, Sarah San-
ders, a native of Ireland, and they had two
daughters and four sons, the latter bearing the
names of Peter, Samuel, Jacob and Elijah.

Elijah Kunkel, son of Peter, purchased
the mill property in 1880, thoroughly remod-
eled it and added two additional stories to the
whole structure. This mill was run steadily
until 1884, when it was destroyed by fire. It



BIOGRAPHICAL



677



was at once rebuilt and was equipped with all
the latest improved milling machinery. Elijah
Kunkel married Mary A. Benedict, daughter
of Peter Benedict, of Warrington township,
and they had four daughters and two sons
boi"n to them, the latter being George L., a suc-
cessful farmer and Jacob B., of this sketch.

Jacob B. Kunkel may be said to have grown
up in the milling business, and, in addition to
owning and operating this fine mill, he owns a
forty-barrel mill at Williams Grove, Pa., which
is operated by J. A. Davis & Son. Mr. Kunkel
is now practically retired, but the mill is kept
running to its full capacity by his son Mearl,
a competent miller, who is keeping up the high
standard of cjuality for which this mill has
always been noted. Its history is more than
usually interesting. In addition to the details
given above a few more words may be de-
voted to what is one of the landmarks of this,
section.

As it has been shown, the Kunkel family
have been its proprietors from the beginning.
The mill is situated in a picturesque spot on
the banks of the Conewago Creek. It was the
first mill built in York county, and its patrons
came from miles away. Durine the time of
the Bri;tish occupation of Philadelphia, the
Continental Congress held its first sessions at
York, and the housewives drew their supplies
from Kunkel's mill. During the time when
Washington and his hungry troops were en-
camped in this neighborhood, from Kunkel's
mill came the flour which furnished them with
food.

Jacob B. Kunkel was married at Lewis-
berry, Pa., to Miss Mary E. Spangler, daugh-
ter of Jacob IT. and Lavinia Spangler, and they
have these children : Mearl E., previously men-
tioned; Lottie B. ; and Mary J. In politics Mr.
Kunkel is a Democrat, but has never sought
or accepted public office. He is the third
heaviest taxpayer in Warrington township.
His home is a beautiful one on the banks of the
Conewago.

SAMUEL F. GLATFELTER. In view
of the nomadic spirit which is growing to ani-
mate all classes of American citizens, it cannot
be other than gratifying to encounter localities
in which are to be found citizens of worth
and prominence who have there passed
their entire lives. In York county are
to be found io-day many representatives



of families whose names have been linked
with the history of this section from the
early pioneer epoch, and among the prom-
inent scions 01 such worthy pioneer stock
is found Samuel F. Glatfelter, who is one of
the successful business men and influential citi-
zens of York, where he is eng-aged in contract-
ing and building, and identified with other en-
terprises of importance, being vice-president
of the Hollywood Brick Co., of York. Mr,
Glatfeiter has well appointed offices !in the
Guardian Trust Building, one of the fine mod-
ern business blocks of York.

Samuel F. Glatfelter comes of stanch German
. Swiss stock, being a direct descendant of Cas-
per Glatfelter (originally spelled Glattfelden),
who was born at Glattfelden, Canton Zurich,
Switzerland, July 2, 1709, and who emigrated
to America in 1743, at the age of thirty-three
years on the good ship "Francis & Elizaljeth,"
sailing from Rotterdam, and landing at Phila-
delphia shortly afterward settling as a pioneer
in Springfield township, York Co., Pa. Casper
Glatfelter was a son of Felix Glattfelden (who
was born in 1674, and was married June 22,
1695, to Dorotha Gorias), and a grandson of
Hans Glattfelden (whose wife was Verena
Hauser), thus establishing a lineage to the
middle of the seventeenth century. Samuel
F. Glatfelter is a representative of the fifth
generation from Casper Glatfelder, the orig-
inal emigrant, the line being through Casper's
son, who was also named Casper, and who
served as a soldier in the Revolutionary war;
his son John and the latter's son, Isaac K., the
father of Samuel F. Certainly there were more
children born in each generation, but only the
direct line is here given.

Isaac K. Glatfelter, father of Samuel F.,
was born in York county, in 1S25, son of John
and Elizabeth (Keiser) Glatfelter, early set-
tlers of Shrewsbury township ; and he died in
1895. He was one of the highly honored citi-
zens and representative farmers of the county
and wielded no slight influence in local affairs
of a public nature. He was a stanch Demo-
crat in his political allegiance, and his religious
faith was that of the Lutheran church. As a
young man he married Miss Sarah Feiser, who
was born at Feiser's Mills, Spring-field town-
ship, this county, in 1828, daughter of Jacob
and Mary (Bupp) Feiser, who likewise were
sterling pioneers of the county, 'Sir. Feiser
having been one of the most influential citizens



678



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



of his section, and having long operated the
mills which bore his name. Isaac K. and Sarah
Glatfelter became the parents of five sons and
four daughters, all of whom are living, as is
also the revered and venerable mother, who
now resides in the city of York. The names
of the children are here entered in the order
of birth: Anna M., Isaac J., Franklin P., John
K., Samuel F., Sarah E., Emma C, Louisa F.
and David L. The mother has been a lifelong-
member of the Lutheran church.

Samuel F. Glatfelter was born on the
homestead farm in Spring-field township, York
county, April 7, 1858, was reared under the
invigorating discipline of the home farm. He
attended the public schools of the locality dur-
ing a portion of each year until he had attained
the age of seventeen years, when he left the
farm and became a clerk in the general store
of his brother Isaac, at Big Mount, Paradise
township, York county, retaining this in-
cumbency one vear. He then became a student
in the Normal Department at the old York
Academ}', afterward putting his scholastic at-
tainments to practical test by engaging as a
teacher in the district schools, while later he
was a student for one college year in Pennsyl-
vania College, Gettysburg. He thereafter con-
tinued to devote himself successfully to teach-
ing for a time, but being mechanically inclined,
he preferred the business to the professional
life, and served as an apprentice to learn the
carpenter's trade at intervals. In 1888 Mr. Glat-
felter entered into partnership with G. W. Gil-
bert, H. George and George Reidel (Mr. Gil-
bert being his tutor when learning the trade),
v.'ith whom he was associated in the planing
mill business and contracting and building for
the ensuing twelve years. The firm, whose
headquarters were in York, did much import-
ant work in the city. At the expiration of the
period noted the partnership was dissolved by
mutual consent. In 1901 Mr. Glatfelter be-
came associated with others in the organization
of the Coalinga Oil Co., which is incorporated
under the laws of the State of Arizona, and
he was made treasurer of the company at the
start, and has ever since served as such, the
office of the concern being in York, while its
properties are located in California. Mr. Glat-
felter .is individually engaged in the building
and contracting business in York, doing some
of the most important operations, and at the
same time he has other capitalistic interests of



importance, including the Hartley Mutual Fire
Insurance Co., of which he is vice-president,
Guardian Trust Co., and Mont Rose Cemetery
Co., of whose directorate he is a member, while
he is a charter member of all of these corpora-
tions. He is imbued with a deep public-spirit
and is progressive in his attitude, so that he is
relied upon to co-operate in all worthy enter-
prises advanced for the general welfare of his
home city and county, while he has so ordered
his course as to command the unqualified con-
fidence and regard of his fellow men. In
politics he is a Democrat, though never a
seeker of office, and both he and his wife are
valued members of Trinity Church, Evan-
gelical.

On June 29, 1879, Mr. Glatfelter led to the
marriage altar Miss Ida Gilbert, of East Pros-
pect, this county, in which she was born and
reared, being a daughter of Daniel Gilbert, a
member of one of the honored pioneer fam-
ilies of the county, and a veteran of the Civil
war, and who lost his life a prisoner in Ander-
sonville prison. Mr, and Mrs. Glatfelter have
no children.

JACOB L. MYERS, of Springfield town-
ship, was born on his present farm, July 30,
1864, son of Jacob Youndt Myers, and grand-
son of Jacob Myers.

Andrew Myers, the great-grandfather of
our subject, was a very large land owner of
Springfield and York townships, owning about
500 acres. He was a minister in the German
Baptist Church, and was buried at the old
Ness burying ground in Springfield township.
His children were: Jacob, Christian, Henrv
and Mrs. Hofif.

Jacob Myers was born on his father's farm
in York township, and, like his father, was a
large land owner, following farming all his
life. He married Sallie Youndt, who died in
Loganville, being buried in the East Codorus
cemetery, while he died in Springfield town-
ship, and was buried in the old Ness burying
ground. He was also a minister in the Ger-
man Baptist Church. To him and his wife
were born : Isaac, who married Annie Mil-
ler, was a minister in the German Baptist
Church; Elizabeth died single; Jacob Youndt;
Daniel, married Elizabeth Brillhart; and Jo-
seph married Katie Bowser, who, after his
death, married Rev. Christian Ness, of Spring-
field township.



BIOGRAPHICAL



670-



Jacob Youndt ]\Iyers was born in 18 13,
and received a common school education. On
]\Iay 13. 1847. 1"'^ ^^'^s married,- by the Rev.
Samuel :Miller, to Nancy Shamberger, born
jNIay 8. 1826, and after marriage located on
the home farm for one year, at the end of which
time he purchased the Painter farm of 119.
acres, now owned by our subject. There he
erected a fine set of buildings, and continued
until his death in July, 1874. He was buried
at the East Codorus Church. His children were
as follows: ( i) Joseph S., born Jan. 6, 1856,
a motorman in York, married Priscilla J\la-
thias, and had two children, Jacob (who died
in infancy), and Nancy G. (2) Elizabeth,
born July 18. 1857, married Henry Ehrhart,
a carpenter, and they are living in York; they
have children: Clara M., Mary E., Lizzie J.,
Esther G., Virgie M., Jacob H., Elsie R., and
Mary, deceased. (3) Susan, born in July,
1859, married George M. Leader, a farmer,
and lives in York township, a sketch of ]Mr.
Leader being elsewhere. (4) Jacob L. After
the death of :Mr. Myers, Mrs. Myers married
Samuel Kreidler, and they reside at No. 663
West Philadelphia street, York.

Jacob L. flyers attended the township
schools until nineteen years of age, and then
assisted his step-father on the home farm for
two years. In 1885 he married Sarah Jane
Keeney, daughter of Samuel and Barbara
(Bowman) Keeney, of Shrewsbury town-
ship, in which township Mr. and Mrs.
Keeney still reside. After marriage Mr. and
Mrs. ]\Iyers resided on the home farm, and
after four years ^Ir. Myers purchased it,
and located about two miles south of Logan-
ville, along the York and Baltimore pike.
It is one of the finest farms in Spring-



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 129 of 201)