Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 13 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 13 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Hiestand and his wife Ann Fitz, was born in
April, 1797, in Heidelberg township, and grew
to manhood on his father's farm. In 1822 he
married Elizabeth Sultzbach, daughter of
Henry and Elizabeth (Bowers) Sultzbach, of
Hellam township. After his father moved to
Spring Garden township John Hiestand con-
tinued the business of farming and distilling at
the home owned by his father in Heidelberg
township, until the year 1830. He then moved
to Spring Garden and took charge of the "Hie-
stand Hotel," which he conducted for nearly
forty years. Besides conducting the hotel bus-
iness with success, John Hiestand was a
prominent farmer and distiller at his home in
Spring Garden township. He was active in
Democratic politics and in 1836, when Van
Buren was candidate for President of the
United States, he purchased a large silk ban-
ner, which he carried at the head of the Spring
Garden delegation in political parades in Lan-
caster and elsewhere, during the campaign.
In 1906 this historic banner was presented by
his son, John S. Hiestand, to the Historical So-
ciety of York County.

Mrs. Hiestand was born Aug. 2, 1805, and
died Feb. 15, 1897, aged ninety-one years.
For a period of seventy-five years she was a
member of the Reformed Congregation at
Kreutz Creek. The children of John and
Elizabeth Hiestand were: Abraham S., Henry
A., Annie and John S. Abraham S. was born
Dec. I, 1824, married Annie Detweiler, of
Wrightsville, and died Oct. 10. 1882; they had
four children : Sarah, Lillie, Mary and Joseph
D. Henry A. was bom May 29, 1826, mar-
ried Susan Loucks, of Spring Garden, and had
four children : Elizabeth, Harry B., Emma and
Alfred. Annie was born Dec. 11, 1828, and
died July 17, 1882; she was married to Alfred



C. N. Matthews, of Baltimore, and they had
nine children, six of whom are living: John
W., Annie E., Francine, Tillie, Frank and
Nowland.

GEORGE JACOB LAFEAN, member of
the firm of Lafean Brothers, manufacturers of
candy and confectionery, was bom at York,
Jan. 25, 1869, son of Charles F. and Charlotte
(Kottcamp) Lafean. He obtained his educa-
tion in the public schools and then entered the
office of his father, a prominent coal dealer and
active in the business affairs of York. After
remaining in this position one year he was as-
signed to duty as a clerk in the wholesale con-
fectionery store of Peter C. Wiest. Here Mr.
Lafean at once made himself useful because he
was attentive and alert, and after serving two
years as an employee he purchased, in company
with his brother, Charles F. Lafean, the entire
wholesale interests of P. C. Wiest, then con-
ducting business at No. 25 North George
street. John R. Lafean became a part of the
firm of Lafean Brothers in 1889, when they
enlarged their business and began the manufac-
ture of candies on College avenue, along the
Northern Central railroad. Later they moved
their factory to a building in Clark alley, to
the rear of their wholesale establishment. Dur-
ing the past sixteen years the Lafean Brothers
have done an extensive manufacturing and
wholesale business throughout Pennsylvania
and adjoining States. The members of the
firm being energetic and intelligent young men,
the business has grown ' and developed until
the Lafean Brothers are widely known to the
trade throughout the country. Within recent
years the candy business has been continually
on the increase and the Lafean Brothers have
taken advantage of every opportunity afforded
to the trade in this country. They are enter-
prising and progressive in all their methods,
and thus have become prominent and influential
in the manufacturing interests of York.

In 1 901 G. Jacob Lafean, with his brother,
Charles F. Lafean, established the Lafean Pa-
per Company. In 1903 this company was in-
corporated, with Charles F. Lafean, president,
George Jacob Lafean, secretary and treasurer,
and John R. Lafean, director. The capital
stock was $50,000. They engag-ed in the man-
ufacture of roofing and building paper, and the
annual product has been increased to 2.50Q
tons, sold throughout the United States, Can-
ada and South America. In 1906 G. Jacob



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Lafeaii disposed of his interests in the Lafean
Paper Company for the purpose of devoting
his entire time and attention to the wholesale
department of the extensive business of Lafean
Brothers, manufacturers and wholesale dealers
in candies and confectioner}-.

Mr. Lafean is an ardent supporter of the
policy and principles of the Republican party,
has been active in politics, and has frequently
represented the Fourth ward in city and county
conventions. He is a member of Christ Lu-
theran Church, and of the beneficial organiza-
tion of the Knights of Malta. He resides in
the Fourth ward with his mother and sister, on
South Beaver street.

M. D. MARTIN, president of the Martin
Carriage Works, and also president of the
Guardian Trust Company, of York, is a con-
spicuous figure in the manufacturing and finan-
cial life of that place, and his life is a happy ill-
ustration of what energy, industry, courage
and honorable business methods may accom-
plish.

Mr. Martin's ancestors came from Ger-
many in the latter part of the seventeenth cen-
tury. His grandfather, Jacob Martin, lived
in Lower Windsor township. York county, and
his father, Hiram Martin, a retired farmer, is
living- in York township.

M. D. Martin was born in York county,
Nov. 23, 1859, was educated in the public
schools, and worked on his father's farm until
he was twenty-one years old. Soon afterward,
in 1882, he established himself in the carriage
business, originally as a member of the firm of
H. Martin & Son. In 1888 the Martin Car-
riage Works was established, and in 1896 was
begun the erection of the present commodious
works, which are among the finest in the
United States. In 1900 a stock company was
organized, capitalized at $300,000, and to-day
this concern employs from 350 to 375 skilled
workmen, and does a business of from $500,-
000 to $600,000 annually. Mr. Martin, the
originator and promoter of the business, served
as president of the company.

We have already traced the steps of Mr.
Martin's progress from the time he began car-
riage building, in 1882, as a member of the
firm of H. Martin & Son ; through the organ-
ization of the Martin Carriage Works in 1888;
and the organization of the present company
June I, 1900. The record of nearly unbroken



success may be credited almost entirely to Mr.
Martin's superior management and judgment,
and he deserves the many tributes of confidence
and complimentary evidences of respect which
he receives from his business associates and
fellow citizens generally. The present im-
mense establishment, completed in 1897, was
built by him single-handed and alone.
The works cover six acres, and the output in-
cludes pleasure carriages, buggies, spring and
delivery wagons, in fact all manner of vehicles
known to modern carriage builders. Ship-
ments are made not only to all parts of the
United States, but to almost all civilized parts
of the globe, the company having patrons in
England, Germany, South Africa, Mexico, Au-
stralia and the South American States. The
capacity of the works is 20,000 vehicles per
annum. The History of York County would
indeed be incomplete without due mention of
this great enterprise and the view (See Volume
I) of the works whose products have carried
the name of York to so many distant climes,
and which have been the means of distributing
many thousands of dollars annually through
the avenues of trade in the thriving city of
York.

Mr. Martin was one of the promoters of
the Guardian Trust Company, of York, which
was organized June i, 1903, with a capital of
$250,000, M. D. Martin president. This com-
pany is recognized as one of the foremost finan-
cial institutions of York, and already has de-
posits amounting to almost $200,000.

Although the president of two such import-
ant corporations, Mr. Martin finds time for
much quiet enjoyment in his elegant home on
East Market street. He is a most affable and
kindly gentleman, remembering his own early
struggles in attaining the enviable position he
now occupies, and is ever ready to lend a
helping hand to others.



The factory of The Martin Carriage
Works is the largest carriage factory in the
East. It is four stories high and has a floor
space of fully six acres. It is complete in
every detail and equipped with the best and la-
test improved machinery. As to protection
against fire the equipment is second to none.
It is completely installed with automatic
sprinklers and the buildings and lumber
yards are encircled with water lines and
hose houses. Two large steel tanks with a




p.#



lf\\ Cr,>v^a^.




.It- _



BIOGRAPHICAL



6^



capacity of thirty thousand gallons of water
connected with an Underwriter's pump with a
capacity of seven hundred and fifty gallons of
water a minute are installed on the premises
with automatic adjustments for immediate ser-
vice in case of fire. The factory is located on
the W. M. R. R. and P. R. R. lines, has ample
shipping facilities, and because of this advan-
tageous location with a thirty-foot wide alley
on the opposite side is afforded the very best
possible light and ventilation. The absence of
either one of these advantages would be detri-
mental to good workmanship and injurious to
the health of the employees.

The capacity of this plant is twenty thous-
and vehicles annually, and its product is
shipped to all parts of the world. The main
part of this factory was erected in 1897. The
total amount of the annual output is from five
hundred to six hundred thousand dollars, and
as an evidence of the popularity of the product
of this factory at home the dealers and con-
sumers in Pennsylvania alone buy annually
one-fourth of the entire output.

In 1900 a stock company was organized,
capitalized at three hundred thousand dollars.
This concern now employs from three hundred
"nd fifty to three hundred and seventy five
workmen. The location of this factory is a
natural output to the centers of trade and
commerce, and is very well located for ship-
ments abroad.

N. SARGENT ROSS, senior member of
*' legal firm of Ross & Brenneman, and one
of the most prominent members of the York
county Bar, is a son of Rev. Joseph Alexander
and Mary Jamison (Harvey) Ross, and was
born in Northumberland, Northumberland
county. May 3, 1858.

Mr. Ross's paternal ancestors came from
Sco 'and to the United States, some time prior
tt e Revolution ; one of them, James H. Ross,
Sv. ed as an officer in that war. After the close
of the war for Independence, Mr. Ross, who
had rendered that patriotic service, settled
down as a civilian in Mifflin Co., Pa., where he
became a man of influence and means. Law-
yer Ross's progenitors on the maternal side
were among the oldest and most notable settlers
of Luzerne county. Pa. The Harveys are of
English stock, Mr. Ross's grandfather, Ben-



jamin Harvey, of Harveyville, Luzerne coun-
ty, having founded the place which bears his
name, and having been prominent as a pros-
perous farmer, mill owner and merchant. De-
scendants of this family have occupied con-
spicuous positions in the professional and busi-
ness life of Luzerne county, and have been
identified with many of its industrial enter-
prises and material improvements and develop-
ments. In religion the Rosses were Scotch
Presbyterians, while the Harveys were affili-
ated with the Methodist Episcopal Church.

One of the descendants of James H. Ross
was the Rev. Joseph Alexander Ross, father of
N. Sargent Ross. The former was born in
McVeytown, Mifflin county, July 4, 1816, and
spent his early years and received his elemen-
tary education at that place. He subsequently
studied theology and entered the ministry of
the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which he
labored faithfully and with signal success for
many years. Shortly after his installation he
was assigned to several churches successively
in Pennsylvania and Maryland, and in i860
and 1 86 1, was pastor of the Beaver Street
Methodist Church of York. A short time af-
terward he removed to Carlisle, Cumberland
county, and while pastor of the Methodist
Episcopal Church there he was appointed chap-
lain in the Regular Army of the United States
and remained in the federal service during the
Civil war. After his retirement from the
army in 1866, he again entered the itinerancv,
filling Various appointments in the Central
Pennsylvania Conference of the M. E. Church.
He continued active in the labors of the min-
istry until about two years before his death,
which occurred on his farm near East Water-
ford, Juniata county, Feb. 14, 1888, after fifty
years of active, consecrated service in the cause
of Christianity. He was followed to his grave
by a large concourse of people.

N. Sargent Ross was born in Northumber-
land county, but removed from that place soon
after, the father's place of residence changing
from time to time, by the various assignments
of the M. E. Church. He received an academic
and collegiate education and subsequently read
law in the office of Judge Jeremiah Lyons of
Mifflintown, and was admitted to the Bar of
Juniata county in 1882, and later, on October
4th, of the same year, was admitted to prac-



66



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY. PENNSYLVANIA



tice in the courts of York county. He moved
from Mittimtown in March, 18S3, to become a
resident of York. Subsequent to his removal
to York he went into the office of Edward W.
Spangler, and has occupied offices with Mr.
Spangler ever since. His present alhance with
H. C. Brenneman was formed under the firm
name of Ross & Brenneman in 1896.

On April 12, 1890, Mr. Ross was united in
marriage with Miss Sue W. Sanks, daughter
of Rev. James Sanks, of York. To this union
was born one child: Ruth C, who died July
12, 1892.

In the political fiekl, Mr. Ross has always
been an active Republican. In 1885 he was
•elected a delegate to the Republican State con-
vention, and in 1892 he was made the nominee
of his party for its representative in Congress
from the Nineteenth Congressional district.
The traditional Democratic majority was large
and immobile, and he was conseciuently de-
feated by the Hon. F. E. Beltzhoover, late
Democratic representative from Carlisle, Cum-
berland county. While devoting his best time
to his professional business, Mr. Ross has been
interested in a number of business enterprises.
He is a director of the City Bank of York ; has
various minor business interests, and has al-
ways manifested a commendable degree of ac-
tivity in the public welfare, material progress
and moral improvement of his adopted city.
He is a member of Harmonia Lodge, I. O. O.
F. ; a charter member of Crystal Lodge,
Knights of Pythias, and of York Lodge, B. P.
O. Elks; and also belongs to Codorus Council,
Jr. O. U. A. M., York Conclave, I. O. H., and
the K. O. T. M. He is also a prominent
Mason, being past master of York Lodge, No.
266, Free and Accepted Masons ; past high
priest of Howell Chapter, No. 199, Royal Arch
Masons ; past eminent commander of Geth-
semane Commandery, No. 75, Knights Tem-
plar; and a member of Lulu Temple, Ancient
Aral>ic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine,
Philadelphia, cf which he is at present one
■of the directors.

SMYSER WILLIAMS, a son of David
F. Williams and Anna Margaret (Smyser)
Williams, was born in the city of York, Pa.
His father, a newspaper publisher and editor,
was L^nited States collector of internal revenue



for the York district during sex'eral terms, and
was presment of York County National izianK
oi \ ork tor a number of years prior to his
death in 1881. His motner was a daughter
of Michael bmj'ser and a descendant of Micnael
bmyser, a colonel in the American army dur-
ing the war of the Revolution.

Mr. Williams began his education at the
York County Academy and graduated from
the York high school in the class of 1873. He
subsec[uently entered Amherst College, but did
not remain until the end of the course. He
studied law with Hon. Thomas E. Cochran and
William Hay, Esq., and was admitted to the
Bar of York county, Pa., on Sept. 15, 1879.
In 1883 he formed a partnership with Richard
E. Cochran, Esq., under the name of Cochran
& Williams, in existence at the present time
(1906). He was a referee in bankruptcy from
1898 to 1901.

Mr. Williams has been vice-president of
the York Trust Company since its incorpora-
tion in 1890, and has been a director in the
York National Bank of York and Secretary
of the York Water Company for many years.

Mr. Williams married Henrietta C. Hersh,
a daughter of the late G. Edward Hersh, who
during a long and successful career was prom-
inently identified with the business life of York.
Their two children are Henry Cuthbert Will-
iams and Eleanor Hamilton \\^illiams.

EDWARD SMALL RUPP (deceased),
who for many years carried on a very profi-
table business in York, was born there Jan.
22, 1829, son of Daniel Rupp and grandson of
Gotlieb Rupp, who died in York City.

Daniel Rupp, the father of our subject, was
a native of York, and a well-known butcher,
and died here at the age of eighty-six years.
He was one of the first members of Trinity
Reformed Church. He married Lydia Small,
a cousin of Philip and Samuel Small (both of
whom are deceased), and she died also at a
ripe old age. They had the following named
children : David ; Catherine, Mrs. Cornelius
Garrison ; Daniel ; Margaret, Mrs. Granville
Hartman, who is the only surviving member of
this family and, now resides in York ; Edward
S. ; Mary, who died young; and Rebecca, who
married Dr. Roush and died in York.

Edward S. Rupp was educated in the pub-



BIOGRAPHICAL



67



lie schools of York and learned the butcher
business with his lather, and when the latter
died he took up the business and continued it.
Alter marriage he lived in and bought the old
homestead, and later the home in which Dr.
Yeagley now lives. Here Mr. Rupp died,
June 4, 1892. He was at one time very active
in church work, having been one of the
deacons in Trinity Reformed Church in years
gone by. In politics he was a Republican.

Mr. Rupp was married in 1861 to Miss
Elizabeth Spangler, who was born in York,
'daughter of Charles Spangler, who died in that
city; he was a hatter by trade. Mrs. Rupp's
mother, Sarah (Shultz), also died here. To
Mr. and Mrs. Rupp children as follows were
born : Mary and Margaret, at home ; Sarah,
Mrs. Franklin Myers; who resides near Pitts-
burg; Henrietta, a school teacher in the York
high school; Frances, a clerk in P. Wiest's
Sons' store in York ; and Daniel, at home.

I. C. GABLE, M. D., one of the leading
and successful medical practitioners of York,
who stands deservedly high in citizenship as
well as professional life, is the son of Valentine
and Mary (Miller) Gable, and was born June
26, 1849, ill Windsor township, York county.
He comes of Colonial ancestry on both sides
of his family, his great-grandfather, Valentine
Gable, having been a commissioned officer m
the Revolutionary war under Gen. Anthony
Wayne. Dr. Gable's father was for many years
a teacher in the schools of York county, and
also engaged in agricultural pursuits.

Dr. Gable, after receiving his preliminary
education in the public schools of his native
township, took a literary course at the Penn-
sylvania State Normal School at Millersville.
In 1867 he became a school teacher, devoting
himself to this honorable vocation until 1874,
during which time he taught school in Penn-
sylvania. Ohio and Indiana. He began the
study of medicine under the preceptorship of
Dr. James W. Kerr, and, after a preliminary
course of reading, in 1875 entered the Medical
Department of the University of Pennsylvania,
from which he was graduated with honors
March 12, 1877. While attending the univer-
sity he pursued a special course of reading un-
der Dr. Charles T. Hunter, who held the chair



of Clinical Surgery, and subsequent to gradua-
tion took a post-graduate course at his alma
mater, devoting most of his time to the special
study of general surgery in that institution and
in the Pennsylvania Hospital.

In 1878 Dr. Gable opened an office in York,
where he speedily advanced in his profession
to a commanding position, being a thorough
student of medical literature, thoroughly ag-
gressive, progressive and up-to-date in his
ideas, and with the harmonious development
that results from practical skill united with
high intellectual attainments. He is a member
of the York County Medical Society ; has been
twice vice-president of the Pennsylvania Med-
ical Society, and served for many years as
a member of the State Medical Legislative
Committee, and for seven years was its chair-
man. During the period of his service on the
committee the present statutory enactment
known as the State Medical Act of Pennsylva-
nia was passed.

In 1894, at a meeting of the State Medical
Society in Philadelphia, Dr. Gable was ap-
pointed to deliver the annual address on "Med-
icine," in Chambersburg, the following year.
He has contributed other valuable articles to
the Society, which have been widely circulated
in the published proceedings of that body. For
twelve years Dr. Gable was a member of the
lx)ard of trustees and judicial council of the
State Medical Society, during five years of that
time being its president. He has been promi-
nent in national as well as State medical coun-
cils. In 1880, in a meeting held at New York
City, he became a member of the American
Medical Association, and was made chairman
of the Pennsylvania delegation at the meeting
of that organization held in Milwaukee, Wis.,
in 1 89 1. Dr. Gable is a member of the Pan-
American Medical Congress, and was a member
of the auxiliary committee appointed for the or-
ganization of that body. He is one of the censors
of the Medico-Chirurgical College of Phila-
delphia. He is County Medical Inspector to
the State Department of Health, and is an ac-
tive member of the American Public Health
Association. Aside from these more strictly
official relations. Dr. Gable is medical exam-
iner for many leading life insurance companies
represented in this city, and has a professional



68



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



practice in the various departments of medi-
cine and surgery enjoyed by but few in this
district.

Dr. Gable was married Dec. 15, 1888, to
Miss Eva A. Fon Dersmith, of Lancaster, Pa.,
who is descended from one of the oldest and
most highly honored families of that county.
One son has been born to this union, Ray-
mond F.

I

HON. EDWIN K. McCONKEY, Repub-
lican State Senator from York county, is of
Scotch-Irish lineage. His ancestors came from
the northern part of Ireland, the original emi-
grant leaving there in 1756, and on arrival in
America settled in Lancaster county. Early in
the history of York county, members of the
family purchased land in what is known as
Peach Bottom, and here the name has been
handed down from generation to generation.
His great-grandfather, Hugh McConkey,
served in the Revolution from York county,
and grandfather James McConkey passed
his life here, a merchant by occupation,
he having been in the mercantile trade at Peach
Bottom for a period of over fifty years. He
was a veteran of the war of 1812, responding
to the call of the Government for troops at
the time Baltimore was threatened. He was a
man of large influence and very active in the
public life of the county, serving as a Whig in
the State Senate from York county from 1836
to 1840.

William McConkey, son of James and
father of Senator McConkey, broke the as-
sociations at Peach Bottom, removing to
Wrightsville, where he became associated with
David E. Small and Michael Schall, of York,
in the ownership of the Aurora Furnace. He
was also interested in other business enter-
prises, and was for many years prior to his
death, which occurred in 1880, president of
the First National Bank of Wrightsville. He
took an active part in politics, and in 1855 was
elected by the Whig party to represent York
county in the Legislature. He married Susan
Silver, of Silver Mount, Maryland.

Edwin K. McConkey was born at \\'rights-
ville in 1864. Reared in a refined and culti-
vated home atmosphere, he passed his boyhood
in the pursuit of an education in the public
schools, graduating from the Wrightsville high
school, and later finishing at the York Collegi-



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 13 of 201)