Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 130 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 130 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


field township, where Mr. Myers is very well
known and highly respected. He has devoted
all of his time to farming, in which occupation
he has won success, and he is considered one
of the substantial men of his township, and is
sober, industrious and hard-working.

To ]\Ir. and Mrs. Jacob L. flyers, the fol-
lowing children have been born : Bertha 'M..
who died when seven months and twent}^ days
old ; Joseph H., at home, assisting his father
in his agricultural operations; Samuel K.; who
died when two months, two days old; Jacob
E., attending the Elizabethtown Business
school; and ;\Iabel J., at home. In his political



views Air. Myers is a Republican, and ha?
served as judge of election, and as inspector.
Both he and his estimable wife are members
of the German Baptist Church, where he has
served for some time as deacon, and he is con-
sidered one of the pillars of the Church. Both
the Alyers and Keeney families are considered
among the pioneer families of this sectiijn.

AVILLIAM LESTER AMNION, a worthy
representative of one of the older families of
York county, and one whose early ancestral
line on the maternal side connects it directly
with that of Augustine Washington, sire ot
the immortal "Eather of his Country." is a
young and rising member of the York County
Bar, born in Lancaster county, March 4. 1868.

Briefly stating a few of the salient facts
concerning the ancestral line of our subject,
it is noted that William Ball, son of William,
of Lincoln's Inn, England, was one of the four
attorneys in the office of Pleas in the Depart-
ment of the Exchequer. William Ball, of Atil-
lenbeck plantation, came to America in 1657,
He was the father of three children — \\'illiam,
Joseph and Hannah. Of these, \A'illiam had a
son Samuel, of Culpeper Courthouse, \'ir-
ginia, whose daughter, Ann Ball, married John
Campbell. One of the sons of this union. John
by name, had a son John who became the fath-
er of Elizabeth Campbell, the grandmother of
our subject. Elizabeth married John Haw-
kins and their daughter Mary married \\'illiam
Ammon, son of George, and father of our sub-
ject.

The connection with the Washington family
comes through AA'illiam Ball, brother of the
Samuel heretofore mentioned. His son Jo-
seph Ball was the father of Mary, who. in 1730
became the wife of Augustine AA'ashington, and
two years later the mother of our illustrious-
first president. Thus it may be seen that our
worthy subject may well be proud of 4:is an-
cestry.

A\'illiam L. Ammon, who forms the sub-
ject of our review, was brought to York coun-
ty by his parents when but three weeks old,
and is therefore entitled to be looked upon
"as native here." The foundation of his
education was laid in the public schools of the
count)', and was supplemented by courses in
York County Academy and Pennsylvania Col-
lesre at Gettvsburg, from which institution he



68o



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY,. PENNSYLVANIA



graduated in 1893. He then entered the law-
office of Geise, Zeigler & Strawbridge, and
after a creditable examination Avas, Aug. 27,
1894, admitted to the Bar of York County.
At a later date he was admitted to practice in
the Supreme, Superior and United States
Courts.

The success of Mr. Amnion in his chosen
profession is based upon his [: enchant for close
and hard work. He attacks his cases metho-
dically and does not rest until he feels able t'..'
convince a jury of the justice of his client's
claim. He has built up an extensive and lu-
crative practice and is looked upon as one of
the best lawyers at the Bar of the county.

Mr. Ammon is a family man, having mar-
ried Nov. 4, 1897. Miss Nettie M. Reichley,
daughter of ^^'illiam G. Reichley, now de-
ceased, formerly a merchant of York. To the
union one child has been born, AVilliam Bronly ;
and as a member of tlie family there is also an
adopted son, George Lester.

Our subject is a Democrat in politics, '.uid
is more or less active in the campaigns of that
party'. He served the city as solicitor during
1896-97, this being the only public office in
which he has officiated. His name is found
among the membership of the Lutheran
Church, and in the fraternities he is a member
of the Odd Fellows and the Heptasophs. The
career of our subject in York has been entirely
creditable, and his friends confidently pred'.-^t
a solid and suljstantial future.

EDWARD BLAUSER, contractor and
builder at York, Pa., has well appointed offices
at No. 678 East Market street, and is one of the
city's leading business men.

Mr. Blauser was born Oct. 5, 1836, in
Spring Garden township, son of Jacob and
Ann(ie (Myers) Blauser. The former was
born in 1800, in Spring Garden township, and
died at York, Dec. 19, 1862. Jacob Blauser
was one of the leading farmers of Spring Gar-
den township, was an active member of the
Whig party in politics, and was one of the
stable supporters of the German Reform
Chvu-ch. His parents, Nicholas and Susan
Blauser, were born and married in Germany,
and they established the family in York county,
where Nicholas Blauser owned a farm of 100
acres. They had eight children.

Jacob Blauser, father of Edward, married
Annie Myers, Ijorn in Lancaster county, Jan.



25, 1802, who died Jan. 13. 1903, at the home
of her son, Edward. The children of this
union were : Henry, a retired farmer of York ;
Eliza, widow of Daniel Freed, of York; Ed-
ward, of this sketch ; Samuel, a carpenter in
York ; Annie, deceased wife of Solomon
Freed ; Ellen, deceased wife of Henry Ilgen-
York ; and Emma, wife of Allen Shetter, of
York.

Edward Blauser was reared on the paternal
farm and was educated in the common schools
until the age of thirteen years when he began
to look out for himself, and worked on the
farm until 1854, and then learned the carpen-
ter's trade with Jacob Miller, of York. He con-
tinued to work for this employer for thirteen
years, on and off, as during this period he also
gave a year's time to the service of his country.
On Sept. 13, 1 86 1, he enlisted in the 87th P.
V. I., under Capt. Frey, and became a member
of the band, and was mustered out Sept. 22,
1862.

Upon his return to York ^Ir. Blauser re-
sumed w^ork with his old employer and later
with a brother of the latter. It was about 1874
when he began contracting and building on his
own account. His success rs attested by the
many substantial and imposing structures
which he has erected, among these being : St.
Mark's Lutheran Church; Second Presbyter-
ian Church on Philadelphia street; Betliany
Chapel ; Cross Roads Presbyterian Church in
Chanceford township; the Vinton Welch resi-
dence on West Market street; the Reaser
houses which are some of the best buildings in
the city; and a large building on the corner of
Franklin and Philadelphia streets. He rebuilt
the "Merchant's Hotel" and the "Marshall
House,'' and built the pumping station for the
cit3^ water works and the great filter plant.
This business gives constant employment to
from thirty to thirty-five men.

Mr. Blauser is one of the notably pro-
gressive and public-spirited men of the city,
and has numerous business connections. He
is a director in the Ferrystown Mutual Fiie
Insurance Co.., and is a member of the Spring
Garden Relief Association. Of this he was
one of the organizers, was its first vice presi-
dent and remains a member.

It would be impossible to name the York
fire department or the Spring Garden band,
without recalling Mr. Blauser. For forty-six
years he has been an active member of the



BIOGRAPHICAL



68 1



former, his association witli this brave body of
men beginning witli the old Good Will com-
pany, and he has irlled every position in the de-
partment aside from chief, serving^ fourteen
years as assistant chief, an office he has but re-
cently resigned. He has been a delegate to
the various conventions of this organization
for the past ten years, and in October, 1904,
he was elected vice-president of the Etate Fire
Association.

Air. Blauser was one of the charter mem-
bers of the Spring Garden band, which was or-
ganized in 1855 and has never been disbanded.
The original membership was nineteen, and
ten of its charter members still survive. The
organization enlisted in the 87th regiment, in
1861, and enjoyed many marks of appreciation
as a body. Upon the return of President Bu-
chanan to his home in 1861, after President
Lincoln assumed charge at Washington, this
band formed an honorable escort to the ex-
president from York to his country residence
in Lancaster county. In September, 1892,
when the Grand Army of the Republic con-
vention met in the city of Washington, this
band, then containing thirteen members, was
given the post of honor, leading the procession,
preceding sixty-seven other bands. When its
now gray-haired members were in their prime,
it was considered a very talented musical bod)^
and has always been considered an admirable
addition to any occasion which it will consent
to serve.

In politics Mr. Blauser is a stanch Demo-
crat, and he has filled a number of local offices,
including those of assessor and tax collector.
His fraternal connections are numerous. He
is a member of the A. & I. O. Knights of Malta,
Sandilands Commindery, No. 152, and is one
of the first in this section to have traveled all
the degrees, reachiug the 77th, side degree; is a
member of the Fireman's Relief Association ;
and of General Sedgwick Post, No. t^j, G.
A. R.

On Jan. 25, 1859, J^I''- Blauser married
Mar}- Ann Runk, daughter of John Runk, and
they have six children: Allen J., a carpenter;
Lizzie, wife of Charles M. Landis, who is a
machinist; Ida, wife of Jacob Deitch, also a
machinist ; Harry E., a carpenter, married to
Jennie Hatter; Lillie Mary, wife of George
flatter, foreman of the York Alanufncturing
Co.; Ferdinand A., an electrotyper, who mar-



ried Bertha Hake. The fami
Reformed Church.



belong to the



JONATHAN CASSEL was born June 17,
1854, in Dauphin county. Pa., son of Rufus K.
and Elizabeth (Miller) Cassel. The first an-
cestors of the Cassel family in America were
three brothers, Heinrich, Johannes and Yillis
(or Julius) Cassel, who came hither on the
ship "Jefries," Nov. 20, 1686, from Kreishdim,
in the Palatinate. They accompanied William
Penn on his third trip from the old world, Penn
having held religious meetings and preached to
the citizens of their town. The Cassels, being
of the Mennonite faith, were very much im-
pressed by Penn, who told them he had secured
a grant of land from King Charles II, and
promised them religious freedom if they would
accompany him. Upon their arrival they were
granted land in the vicinity of Germantown,
Pa., and there built a ^Mennonite meeting-
house.

John or Johannes Cassel, the great-great-
great-grandfather of Jonathan Cassel, came to
America from Rotterdam in the ship '"Friend-
ship," Oct. 16, 1727, and for a time lived at
Skippack, Montgomery Co., Pa. Thence he
moved to Lancaster county, settling in Hemp-
field township.

Abraham Cassel, the great-great-grand-
father of Jonathan, was born about 1750 in
Rapho township, Lancaster Co., Pa. He mar-
ried Esther Weiss, and they had three children,
Henry, Maria and Abraham.

Abraham Cassel, the great-grandfather of
Jonathan, located at Marietta, Lancaster coun-
ty, and was a prominent business man there,
being president of the old ;Marietta Bank. He
married Catherine Nefif.

Da\'id Cassel, the next in the line of de-
scent, was born May 8, 1800, and died Sept.
20, 1877. He was a resident of Marietta,
where he was an inn-keeper for oxtx fifty years.
He married Catherine Myers, of Berks county,
and after her death wedded Eliza Aluma.
Seven children were born to each union, those
by the first being Rufus K.,, Hiram, David,
IMargaret, Elizabeth, Abraham and Elmira,
and those by the second being Catherine, Anna
M., Susan E., Delilah. Emily, Aldema and Jo-
seph.

Rufus K. Cassel was born Alarch 11, 1825,
in }ilarietta. Lancaster Co.. Pa. In his vuunger



682



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



}-ears he was extensively engaged in the cat-
tle and hor.;e business, and also operated farms
in Dauphin and York counties, being consider-
ed very successful. He is now living retired,
making- his home on King street, in York, Pa.,
and though he and his wife have both attained
advanced years they are in excellent health. Mr.
Cassel was married Feb. 15, 1849, to Eliza-
beth Miller, of Dauphin county, Pa., and to
them have been born the following children:
Carrie C, who is unmarried; David M., now
a resident of Springfield, Ohio; Jonathan, of
York county ; Daniel, of Mt. Holly, Pa. ; Levi
A., of Dillsburg, York county; Emma, of
York; Anna, of Lehigh county, Pa.; Harry C,
deceased ; Alice, of Harrisburg, Pa. ; Hiram,
deceased; and Mary J., of Reading, Pa. The
family are all Lutherans in religious belief, and
Mr. Cassel is a Republican.

Jonathan Cassel was a small boy when he
moved with his parents to York county, and he
remained at home, assisting his father in his
farming pursuits, until he was twenty-six years
old. He then purchased the farm known as
the "Comfort Tavern" stand, on the State
road, and there engaged in farming and stock
dealing on his own account. Meeting with un-
usual success, he decided to branch out more
extensively in both lines, and accordingly sold
his first place and bought the property he now
occupies, a farm of 295 acres of valuable land
in Warrington township, situated near Round
Top Mountain, about one and a half miles west
of Rossville. This property was formerly a
part of the McClellan estate, the original es-
tate comprising at one time about eleven hun-
dred acres. Rufus K. Cassel purchased this
295-acre tract, his son Jonathan buying same
of him. Here he has carried on general farm-
ing very successfully, and has also dealt ex-
tensively in cattle and horses, in the latter line
being one of the best known men in this section,
where he is considered an expert buyer and ex-
cellent judge of horses and mules. He is strict-
ly a business man, and though a stanch Repub-
lican takes no active part in the workings of
the party and has no official aspirations.

Mr. Cassel married Miss Sarah E. Stam-
baugli, the only child of Peter Stambaugh, a
highly respected farmer of Warrington town-
ship, and to this union have come the following
named children : Carrie, now Mrs. Joseph
Stoner: Ivy, who married John Zeigler and has
two children, Ralph and Clara; Jennie, a type-



setter, employed on a Dillsburg paper; Annie;
Gretna, and Ruth. The family are all Luth-
erans.

JACOB P. LEVERGOOD, who lives in
Wrightsville in the same house in which he
was born, comes of a family that has been set-
tled in Hellam township for over a hundred
years.

On Sept. 28, 1733, Hans Jacob Lebegood,
great-grandfather of Jacob P. Levergood,
came from Germany to Philadelphia as one of
a company of fifty-three from the Palatinate,
and their families, in all 173 persons. They
sailed from Rotterdam, touching at Plymouth,
England, in the brigantine "'Richard and Eliza-
beth", of Philadelphia, Christopher Clyner,
master.

Peter Lebegood, grandfather of Jacob P.
Levergood, came to Hellam township, where
he spent most of his life in farming. His last
days were spent in retirement at Columbia, Pa.,
where he died May 15, 1825, at the age of six-
ty-nine. His first wife, whose maiden name
was Yocum, was of Swedish descent She died
Dec. 19, 1 8 19, aged fifty-eight years, ten
months, and he married (second) Hannah
(Gardner), widow of Adam Litzenberger. His
children, all by his first Vv'ife, were as follows :
Peter, who died in Johnstown, Pa. ; John, who
died in Iowa ; Jacob, father of Jacob P. ; and
Henry, owner of Levergood's Mill in Lan-
caster county, where he died. Peter Levergood,
son of grandfather Peter Lebegood, was one
of the first settlers of Johnstown, Pa. He served
as State commissioner, and a street in Johns-
town is named for him. He gave the Luth-
eran congregation of the town its building site,
and contributed all except $300 of the money
used in building the church, which was of brick.
\\^hen, se\'enty years later, a fine new church
replaced this old one, the first child brought to
the baptismal font was Edith Louise ^IcKee,
a descendant of Peter Levergood.,

Jacob Levergood, father of Jacob P., was
born in Hellam township in 1796. He was
brought up to farming- and followed that oc-
cupation all his life. In politics he was a Whig.
He married Fanny Litzenberger, who was born
in Manor township, Lancaster county, in 1803,
daughter of Adam and Hannah (Gardner)
Litzenberger. Mrs. Levergood was one of two
children, the other being Mary, who married
Ebenezer Richardson, a miller of York. Jacob



BIOGRAPHICAL



683



Levergood died in 1850, in Wrights ville, where
he had Hved in retirement for several years.
When the Confederate troops raided this
part of the country, in 1863, Mrs. Lever-
good's house was struck by a shell.
She died at her home in Wrights vi lie,
March 3, 1893, in her ninetieth year. She was
a member of the Lutheran Church. The chil-
dren of Jacob and Fanny (Litzenberger) Lev-
ergood were as follows : Maria, who died
young; Hannah, who died in Wrightsville in
1900 (she was married first to Elias Raab and
second to Prof. Horace Maxwell) ; Jacob, who
died at the age of four ; John, a physician, who
died at Lancaster, Pa., in 1894, at the age of
sixty-seven; Fanny, who married C. B. Wal-
lace (deceased), a prominent attorney of York,
where she still lives; Caroline, who is the
widow of David Wilson and lives in Baltimore ;
Phoebe, who married Dr. C. G. Polk, of Phil-
adelphia; William H., of Philadelphia; Jacob
P., who is mentioned below ; and Gardner, who
died young.

Jacob P. Levergood was born March 13,
1846, in Wrightsville, in the house which has
ever since been his home. He grew up in his na- '
tive town, and attended school there, and also
went to the York County Academy at York,
and the Millersville Normal School. He began
the study of medicine with his older brother,
John, a practicing physician in Lancaster, but
after a year and a half ran away to enlist in the
United States navy. He entered the service
March 30, 1864, at Philadelphia, and was on
the United States steamers "Mingo," Capt. J.
B. Creighton, and "Cunerone," Capt. Wilson,
under Admiral Dahlgren of the South Atlantic
scjuadron. He was in the battle of Honey Hill,
and numerous minor engagements, and receiv-
ed his discharge at Washington, Sept. 21, 1865,
returning to Wrightsville. The following year
he entered the Eastman Business College in
Poughkeepsie. On completing his course he
came back to ^Vrightsville, where he was in the
grocery business for a year. He then took the
position of foreman in a cigar factory, which he
held for several years, -after which he spent
some years in the cigar business on his own ac-
count. For a short time he was one of the en-
gineer corps surveying a line for the projected
Lancaster & Delaware River Railroad, which
was never built. He is at present rural mail
carrier, a position he has held for the past two
rears.



Mr. Levergood has always taken a keen in-
terest in military affairs, and in 1872 he organ-
ized a militia company. Company I, 8th Pa. V.
I., of which he became second lieutenant. He
was afterward adjutant of this regiment, hold-
ing the latter position for eight years. He was
with the regiment at the Homestead riots, at
Pittsburg, and at Mahanoy City, though he
se\-ered his connection with the regiment in
1890.

The marriage of Mr. Levergood to Isabella
■ Kreidler, of Wrightsville, took place March 13.
1867. ^'J^rs. Levergood is a native of \\'rights-
ville, daughter of Martin and Mary (Ryder)
Kreidler. The two children of Mr. and' Mrs.
Levergood are: John L., a druggist of
Wrightsville; and Phoebe, Mrs. Morris Se-
christ, of Philadelphia.

In politics Mr. Levergood is a Republican,
and he takes an active interest in party matters.
He has been secretary of the school board eigh-
teen years. He was appointed justice of the
peace to fill the remaining year of the unex-
pired term of Col. Frank Magee, and then con-
tinued in the office, having been elected to the
position for five years; but at the end of the
second year he resigned to accept his present
position.

Fraternally Mr. Levergood is a member and
secretary of the RiVerside Lodge, No. 503, F.
& A. M., \Vrightsville. and of Chihuahua
Lodge, No. 317. I. O. O. F. He is also a mem-
ber of the Royal Arcanum, and a charter mem-
ber of the Knights of Malta at Lancaster, Pa.
He is past commander of Lieut. R. W. Smith
Post, No. 270, G. A. R., of Wrightsville. He
is a member and trustee of the Methodist
Church, and a faithful teacher in the Sundav-
school.

GEORGE F. W. MILLER, now residing
m Glenville, was born in Manheim townshi)),
Aug. y, 1856.

His paternal grandfather, John IMiller. was
a farmer in Manheim township where he died,
and he is buried at the "Stone Church" in Co-
dorus township. His wife bore him se\-en
children, John, Henry. Francis, Jacob. George
N., Polly and Catherine.

George N. ]\Iiller was born on the farm in
Manheim township, which his son now owns,
and became a shoe maker and farmer. He
married Sophia, daughter of Jacob and Cath-
erine (Smith) Werner, and they became the



684



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



parentb of Edward, of Codorus township ; Car-
oline, who became Mrs. Gabel, of Glenville;
Noah and Annie, twins; and George F. W.
The father hved to be seventy-three 'years old.
and the mother to be seventy-one, and both are
buried in the graveyard at the "Stone Church."

George F. W. Miller attended the schools
of Manheim township till he was eighteen, and
then went to New Freedom to learn cabinet and
furniture making with David Hershey. After
three years with him, he went for a year to
Switzerland, and then in 1881 established him-
self in his present place in Glenville. He built
a shop 40 X 60 feet with a back addition 18
feet in length. Mr. Miller has built up a large
business, and is well-known through the sur-
rounding country. He also owns a farm of
108 acres, lying partly in Manheim and partly
in Codorus township, adjoining Glenville,
where he has put up a fine set of buildings, and
has his land in a high state of cultivation.

Mr. Miller has been twice married. His
first wife, Sevilla Shue, died in 1895, and he
afterward married Miss Minerva Tracy, daugh-
ter of John Tracy, of Maryland. One child
has been born to them, Maiden T. Mr. Miller
is a Democrat in his political opinions, and has
filled the office of inspector. In religion he be-
longs to the "Stone Church" (Reformed), and
takes an active part in its work.

B. BRUCE BITTNER is one of the lead-
ing funeral directors of the city of York, his
well-appointed establishment being located at
^'os. 33-35 South Beaver street, while he is
numbered among the representative business
men and honored citizens of the county's fair
capital city. Mr. Bittner is a native of the old
Keystone State, having been born at Fayette-
ville. Franklin Co., Pa., April 17, 1868.

William H. Bittner, his father, was born in
the same county in 1841, and he died in Cham-
bersburg, that county, in 1881, in the very
prime of life. For a number of years he was
engaged as bookkeeper in a mercantile estab-
lishment in that city, where he was well-known
and held in high regard. He married Miss
Elizabeth J. Kohler, who was bom in Fayette-
ville, Franklin county, in 1838; she died Feb.
2, 1872, the mother of five children : John E.,
a machinist by trade, who resides in Wheeling,
W. Va. : B. Bruce; Elizabeth M.. wife of New-
ton Fraver, who is engaged in farming in
Franklin county; Ella M., who died aged thir-



teen years; and one that died in infancy.

B. Bruce Bittner secured his preliminary
educational discipline in the public schools of
Chambersburg. At the age of thirteen years
he engaged at farm work for George W. Grove,
of Chambersburg, with whom he remained
eight years, attending school during the win-
ter months. He then entered upon an appren-
ticeship with J. T. Crall, in the furniture and
undertaking business, in Waynesboro, serving
three and a half years in that business. In 1892
he left Waynesboro, and went to the city of
Baltimore, Md., where he entered the employ
of the undertaking firm of Stuart & Mo wen,
with whom he remained five and one-half years,
after which, in August, 1897, he came to York
and accepted the position of manager for L. A.



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 130 of 201)