Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 131 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 131 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Shives' Sons, undertakers and furniture deal-
ers. TwO' and one-half years later he resigned
his position and returned to Baltimore, where
he again entered the employ of Stuart & Mow-
en, but one year later he returned to York and
purchased the undertaking branch of L. A.
Shives' Sons and engaged in busiijess on his
own account. In this line he has been long
identified, and when he opened his present un-
dertaking establishment his wide acquaintance-
ship and correct business methods resulted in
his securing a due portion of the local patron-
age. He has a fine office and large and well-
ecjuipped warerooms, and in all the departments
of his business his facilities are of the best.

In politics Mr. Bittner gives his support to
the Democratic party, and while he is essen-
tially loyal and public-spirited he has never had
aught of ambition for the honors or emolu-
ments of public office. In a fraternal way he is
affiliated with York Lodge, No. 266, F. & A.
M.; York Lod,ge, No. 213, B. P. O. E. ;
Waynesboro Lodge, No. 219, I- O. O. F., and
with the local Encampment, No. 71 ; and York
Conclave, No. 124, Improved Order of Hep-
tasophs. Both Mr. Bittner and his wife are
active members of the First M. E. Church of
York.

On Dec. 29, 1897, Mr. Bittner was united
in marriage to Miss Florence T. Cook, a daugh-
ter of William A. and Mary P. (Tuttle) Cook,
well-known residents of the city of Baltimore,
Md., where she was reared and educated. Mr.
and Mrs. Bittner have no children.

WILLIAM SMITH was born in AA'indsor
township, Fell. 2, 1846, on the farm now owned



i

I



BIOGRAPHICAL



by Andrew B. Hough, son of William, Sr., and
Rebecca (LeberniglitJ Smith.

William Smith, Sr., was born in Lancaster
county, at or near Petersburg. He was reared
as a tai'mer's boy, received a common-school
education and at eighteen came to York coun-
ty and was employed by various farmers of
that section. He married Miss Lebernight and
iinally located near Freysville. His last days
however were spent with his son David, who
was clerking in Red Lion, and he died in 1899,
aged eighty-seven. His wife passed away m
Red Lion, Aug. 28, 1897, at eighty-two years
of age.

As a boy, William Smith had only
limited opportunities for an education, for,
while he was a pupil at the Freysville public
school, he could never attend very regularly
and even at best was obliged to work hard be-
fore and after school hours. From the age of
thirteen he made cigars for his father, his
quota being fifty every morning before school
and one hundred every evening. From his six-
teenth to his nineteenth year he worked out as
a farm hand, his wages of seven dollars per
month going to his father. He next learned
to make shoes and worked for Peter Ahl two
years, but did not like the trade, as he was kept
busy early and late, and could make a little ex-
tra money only when the others were asleep.
So' he returned to cigar making and was em-
ployed in various factories until 1868. In that
year he decided to begin the manufacture of
cigars for himself, and at first undertook it in
addition to his duties as a clerk in Henry Se-
christ's store at Holtz. He was thus engaged
for two years, and meantime gradually ob-
tained control of other factories, so that in 1870
he felt he was in a position to devote his entire
attention to cigar making, and in that year he
located with his father and employed a number
of hands.

When Mr. Smith commenced his business
career in 1868, he had only twenty-four dol-
lars capital, and that was out at interest where
he could not get it for several months. At that
time the manufacturefs .bought tobacco dii'ect
from the farmers, and as he found he could not
obtain the necessary help, Mr. Smith decided
to buy his tobacco on credit and begin opera-
tions. He succeeded in establishing himself on
a firm basis, but it took ceaseless care and vigi-
lance and proved from the first the mettle of



the man. In 1873 he bought a h<jme property
near Freysville, on which was a factory, and
he conducted both this and the one at his fath-
er's place until 1898, when he closed out the
latter. Three years later he disposed of the
other also, and has since been clerking in the
store of his son-in-law, M. C. Holtzinger at
Holtz.

In 1873 Mr. Smith was united in marriage
to Louisa F. Haines, sister of ex-Senator Har-
\-ey Haines, and by this union there were three
children, viz. : Mary Ellen, Mrs. M. C. Holtz-
mger, of Holtz; Cora Irene, Mrs. Charles W.
Tyson, of Red Lion; and Thomas H., conduc-
tor on a trolley line in Philadelphia, who mar-
ried Jessie Mason. On March 4, 1895, Mr.
Smith's home was left desolate by the death of
his devoted wife, whose remains were interred
in the Freysville cemetery. Since the age of
forty-three Mr. Smith has been a member of
the United Evangelical Church. In politics he
is a Democrat and has served one term each
as township auditor and school director. He
IS a man of much energy, industrious and hon-
est, and a good citizen, and the struggle by
which he has won his present place has given
him an assured position in the respect and es-
teem of his fellows.

WILLIAM C- HIVELY, a lifelong resi-
dent of Springetsbury township, where he is
a well-known and influential farmer, was born
there on the family homestead, Aug. 17, 184 1.

The Hively family were identified with
York county a number of generations back, but
Jacob Hively, great-grandfather of William C.
in middle life left his Pennsylvania farm and
with all his household removed to Ohio, mak-
ing the journey in a wagon drawn by four
horses. One of the grandsons, John, remem-
bers seeing the stump of the tree under which
the party camped the first night after starting.

John George Hively was the only one
of the children taken to Ohio who returned to
his native State. Returning to what is now
Springetsbury township, then Spring Garden,
he rented property for a while, afterward buy-
ing- a small farm where he lived a short time,
when he purchased the present homestead, a
place containing 128 acres. His death occur-
red in 1833, at the age of forty-five, only two
years after settling in his new home. He mar-
ried Miss Mary Rath, of Lancaster county, and



686



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



they had four children: Samuel; John, of
Alanchester township; Susan, who died many
years ago, wife of Daniel Kendig; and one that
died in infancy. Mr. Hively was a member of
the Lutheran Church.

Samuel Hively was born in 1817, in the
township where he still lives, and has passed
there a long and useful life, engaged in farm-
ing, in which he has been very successful.
\A'hen he was only sixteen, his father died, and
the burden of managing- the homestead fell
upon him, but he proved fully eq^ial to the re-
sponsibility and has added many valuable im-
provements to the place. He owns considerable
real estate in addition, and has been a man of
affairs general^, prominent in advancing any-
thing that would benefit the community. He
Avas the organizer of the Spring Garden Fire
Insurance Company, in which he served as
president until he was incapacitated by illness,
and he w'as also a promoter of the Spring Gar-
den Building and Loan Company; of York. In
this company he was treasurer until his ill
health compelled him to resign, his son, Enos
F., succeeding him. He likewise assisted his
sons in establishing their milling interests. All'
his life he has been a member of the York Lu-
theran Church, and has been not only a liberal
contributor but active in an official capacity.
Another field in which he has done service was
as director of the poor. In all these lines Mr.
Hively proved himself a capable and trust-
worthy man, and he has earned the deepest
respect and confidence of his fellow citizens.
Mr. Hively was married tO' Miss Sarah Miller,
daughter of John Miller, of Springetsbury
township. Four children were born to them,
namely : George, a Manchester farmer, who
died leaving a widow and three children : Will-
iam C. ; Enos F., a retired farmer of Spring-
etsbury township ; and Jane, deceased wife of
George ]\Iiller. of Spring Grove.

William C. Hively was given a public
school education and then went to work on the
homestead, remaining there in charge of it un-
til his retirement in 1903. About 1890 he and
his brother Enos purchased the Diehl mill_, lo-
cated just outside the city limits of York, and
have been operating it ever since, doing both
custom and commercial work. Since' they
bought the property it has been remodelled,
and a complete set of new roller process ma-
chinery put in. Mr. Hively is also prominent



in financial affairs, and after his father's re-
tirement from the presidency of the Insurance
Company, was elected treasurer of it; he is a
director in the Building and Loan Company,
and in the Eastern Market House, and is like-
wise a stockholder in both the City National
Bank, of York, and the Guardian Trust Com-
pany.

Mr. William C. Hively married Miss Mary
Lloke, daughter of Jacob and Catherine (Nei-
man) Floke. She passed from this world Jan.
II, 1904, aged sixty-one years, nine months,
ten days. She was the mother of two daughters :
Flora, who married Dajvid Myers, a machinist
of York, and who has four children, Albert,
Annie, Mary and Raymond; and Katie, wife
of Stewart Myers, a machinist of East York.
Mr. Hively is a member of Mt. Zion Lutheran
Church, and has served for a number of years
in an official capacity, either as deacon, elder
or trustee. , Whatever the work in hand Mr.
Hively's opinion carries great weight, and he
occupies a position of influence and responsi-
bility in the community.

GEORGE W. ROCKEY, who enjoys the
distinction of being the local historian of New-
berry township, was born Oct. 28, 1821, in
Fairview township, son of Samuel and Leah
(Kilmore) Rockey.

Frederick Rockey, his grandfather, came
from Germany with his two brothers, Jacob
and Leonard, and settled in York county, where
Red Lion now stands. He followed brick lay-
ing and was a very successful and skillful me-
chanic. Although he lived to be an old man,
twenty years prior to his death he had a very
serious accident, falling from a scaffold and re-
ceiving injuries which nearly resulted fa-
tally, but the noted Dr. Speck of Lancaster
City, Penn., brought him back to health. Fred-
erick Rockey is buried in the Lutheran ceme-
terv on George street, in York, Pa. He mar-
ried Elizabeth King, and the children born to
them were: Sarah x\nn, who married Samuel
Downs, died near Newberry, and is buried at
the Paddletown cemetery, Newberry township ;
Samuel ; Jacob died at Red Lion ; and John
George died in Conewago township.

Samuel Rockey, the father of our subject,
was born at Red Lion, in 1798. He received a
common school education, and followed farm-
ing in Fairview township. He married Leah



BIOGRAPHICAL



687



Kilmore, daughter of David and Elizabeth
(Malone) Kihnore, of Washington township,
and after his marriage removed to Newberry
township and rented a farm of Matliias Boyer.
Later he bought eighty acres in the same town-
ship, where he followed farming^ until his death
which occurred in 1872. He is buried at the
old Aliller burying ground in Newberry town-
ship, where his wife is also buried, she having
passed away in 1889. Samuel Rockey was a
stanch Democrat in politics, while his relig-
ious connection was with the Lutheran Church
of York. The children born to Samuel and
Leah Rockey were ; George W. ; Maria Eliza-
beth married Joseph Myers and lives in New-
berry township; Henry died in York, at the
time of his death living a retired life; Angeline,
who married Henrj' Stettler, died in Newberry
township and is buried at Paddletown; Sarah
Ann married Abraham Wolf, and resides at
Lewisberry borough; Rachel married Joseph
Strawbaugh, deceased, and resides on Phila-
delphia street, York; Lydia died at the age of
fifteen 3'ears, and is buried at the Miller grave
yard; Leah died young and is buried in New-
berry township ; and Jacob died in infancy.

George W. Rockey received but a limited
education, attending school only a few weeks
each year until he was fourteen years old. On
March 16, 1845, ^^ married Amy Forten-
baugh, born Aug. 22, 1819, daughter of Henry
and Sophia (Burger) Fortenbaugh. Mrs.
Rockey's grandfather, Andrew FortenbaugH,
was born Sept. 16, 1765, and died Dec. 12,
1822, while his wife, Annie, was born May 20,
1765. and died June 20, 1845.

George W. Rockey first went to house-
keeping at Scholls Road in Newberry town-
ship, where he remained one year and then
bought a small tract of very valuable land near
a spring in Newberry township, and built a
residence and barn. He owns one and three
quarters acres where he resides, and fifteen
acres in various parts of the tow'nship. Mr.
Rockey engaged for a time in hauling stone to
York, Harrisburg-, Carlisle and Shippensburg.
From 1847 to 1888 he engaged in the manu-
facture of cigars, and found ready customers
for his product throughout the State, but es-
pecialh' in Adams county. From 1845 until
1900. Mr. Rockey engaged in butchering, and
in this line was very well known.

Mrs. Rockey died Dec. 30, 1889, and was



buried in Miller's grave )-ard in Newberry
township. To her and ]\lr. Rockey the follow-
ing children had been born : Samuel H., born
Oct. 20, 1846, died May 4, 1848, and is buried
at Aliller's grave yard; Mary Ann, born Aug.
18, 1848, died Feb. 19, 1850; Adeline, born
Oct. 31, 1850, died March 5, 1853; Sarah Ann,
born Jan. 15, 1856, died aged eleven days; An-
geline, born June 22, 1857, married ( first )
David Albright and (second) William F.
Koons, and she and her son now live with her
father; Leah, born April 29, i860, died Dec.
20, 1861 ; and John, born in 1853, married
Emma Catherine Weiser, and died March 7,
1898, at the time of his death being a clerk in
the freight depot at York, and his widow still
resides at York.

In political faith Mr. Rockey is a Democrat
but has never sought office. An interesting
fact about his life is that Frederick Boyer, who
once owned our subject's father's farm, and
who is buried thereon, held Mr. Rockey when
he was christened. Mr. Boyer was a veteran
of the Revolutionary war. Mr. Rockey has in
his possession two very old and rare coins
which he prizes highly, and wdiich bear the
dates of 1803 and 1798. He is a well known
and very popular citizen of Newberry town-
ship; his uprightness of character, his genial
manner and his friendly spirit, have attracted
many sincere friends.

LEWIS O. RADLE. a leading agricultur-
ist of Conewago township, York county, who
is farming his tract of twenty-eight acres, was
born Oct. 9, 1837, son of John and Elizabeth
(Ouickel) Radle.

John Radle was born in Germany, aad came
to America wdien a young man. In 1830 he
settled in York, later locating^ in Dover,
W'hence he removed to Conewago fo\\-nship. He
died in 1837, before the birth of our subject.
Mr. Radle married Elizabeth Ouickel. who
died June 26, 1865, and was interred at Strav-
er's Church in Dover township. John Radle
was a butcher by trade, and followed this call-
ing until his death.

Lewis 0. Radle was the only child of his
parents. He attended the township schools,
receiving a good education. Mr. Radle learned
the carpenter trade with Jesse Ouickel and was
engaged in this line for thirty years. He pur-
chased the farm where he now lives in Cone-



688



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY. PENNSYLVANIA



wago township, and has made great improve-
ments, building a tine home, and good sub-
stantial buildings.

On Dec. 9, 1861, :\Ir. Radle married Eliza-
beth Ernst, daughter of Jacob Ernst, of Ger-
many, and she died Dec. 9, 1899, being buried
at Strayer's Church, Dover township. Mr.
and Mrs. Radle were the parents of fifteen chil-
dren, as follows : William Henry ; Mary Ann ;
Ida, who died young; Amanda J., who died at
the age of thirty years, the wife of Samuel H.
Myers ; Sarah, who died young ; Alice ; Tacey,
who died young ; Flora Eve, who married Jesse
Snellbaker, and lives in Dover township ; Eliza-
beth D. B., at home; Emma Jare, who married
John A. Leckrone, and resides in West Man-
chester township; Lillie, at home; Margie Min-
nie, who died Oct. 3, 1888; Bertha and Martha,
twins, who died when they were young; and
Elsie.

Mr. Radle is a Democrat and has served
as assessor. He is connected _ with the
German Reformed Church, in which he has
been elder. In historical matters Mr. Radle is
conceded to be the best posted man in Cone-
wago township. He has always been a man
of industrious habits, and the result of the
same is shown in his present sound financial
condition. He is most highly respected in the
township.

JOHN FLEMING, son of Abraham and
Susanna Fleming, and father of Abram H., was
born Jan. 12, 1835, and died April 26, 1901.
He passed his boyhood on the farm and in
attending school, and in 1864, he assumed
charge of the homestead, comprising 123 acres,
with a good house and barn, which eventually
became the property of himself and sisters. He
was prominent in local aiffairs, was a school
director, and served several terms as town-
ship auditor. By his wife, Catherine Hunts-
berger, who died Jan. 30, 1901, aged fifty-six,
he had four children, besides Abram H.,
namely : William and Ida, who died in infancy ;
Arthur Eugene, a car builder in Harrisburg,
wdio married Miss Maud Robins; and John
Newton, in the cream separator business at
Harrisburg. An adopted daughter, Minnie D.,
died in 1901.

Abram H. Fleming, born in 1876, was
sent first to the district schools, and then to
Dillsburg. On leaving school he took a posi-
tion under J. L. McCreary of Dillsburg, to



learn the bakery business, but pro\-ed to be
physically unequal to the work, so gave it up
and started on a trip through the West. He
was gone nineteen months and traveled through
thirteen states, going as far west as Nevada
in order to view the gold and silver mining
district. Mr. Fleming has subsec|uently taken
three other western trips, and one through the
South. Returning to York county, he went to
school for one year, more, and then again en-
tered business. He has held a number of po-
sitions, filling each creditably. In 1894 he ran
a stationary engine at Fowler, Ind., clerked
for five years in the mercantile establishment
of Latimore Sidle at Steelton, was in the elec-
trical department of the Pennsylvania Steel
Company in that same town for six months,
and ran a stationary engine for them for two
years. To perfect himself further in this last
branch, he took a full course in stationary en-
gineering- at Harrisburg, and is now an expert.
In 1897 and 1898 he was an attendant at the
State Lunatic Asylum in Harrisburg, and then
from 1899 to the spring of 1904 he was em-
ployed as car builder and brakeman for the
Pennsylvania Railroad Company. At present
Mr. Fleming is living on the old homestead, a
place of 136 acres, and is giving his whole at-
tention to farming. In politics he is a Re-
publican.

In 1899, occurred the marriage of Abram
H. Fleming to Miss Florence Brown, daughter
of John Robert and Sarah (Adams) Brown.
Her paternal grandparents were John Robert
and Nancy Jane (Goudy) Brown, and those
on the mother's side, John Ouincy and Re-
becca (Shear) Adams. Mrs. Fleming was the
youngest of four children, the others being:
Miles, who married Miss Nellie Kuhn, and has
one daughter, Mildred ; and Elizabeth and
Clark E., both unmarried.

JACOB T. GOHN, of Chanceford town-
ship, York county, now living retired, is a sur-
vivor of the great Civil -war. He was born in
Chanceford township, on the farm now ad-
joining his own, then the old homestead, June
7, 1843, son of Henry and Mary (Tome)
Gohn.

Daniel Gohn,, the. grandfather of Jacob T.,
came from Dover, York county, to Chanceford
township, where he died. He married Eliza-
beth Tome, who also died in Chanceford town-
ship.

Flenry Gohn, the father of our subject, was



BIOGRAPHICAL



689



a well-known and highly esteemed farmer of
Chanceford township, and at his death the
townshiiJ lost a useful citizen. He married
Miss Mary Tome, a sister of Jacob Tome, a
well known financier and philanthropist of
Port Deposit. Mrs. Gohn died in 1874, aged
fifty-six, the mother of the following children :
Henr}'; Elizabeth, who married John Forry,
of Red Lion ; Mary, who married George Heff-
ner, of Hopewell township ; Jacob T. ; Fannie,
who married Andrew Craley, of Chanceford
township; Catherine, who married Michael
Arnold, of Chanceford township ; and Andrew,
who also resides in Chanceford township.

Jacob T. Gohn attended school in the winter
terms until eighteen years of age, and followed
farming on his father's farm. In 1864 he en-
listed at Carlisle, in Company E, 15th Pennsyl-
vania Cavalry, Colonel Palmer commanding,
and after enlistment proceeded to Camp Wo-
hatchee, where they camped for that winter.
On Alarch 8, 1865, he engaged in his first bat-
tle, which was a lively skirmish just beyond
Chattanooga, Tenn., and from that time to the
close of the war the company was almost con-
tinually in active service. Mr. Gohn has an
excellent war record, and participated in one
of the most notable events of the war. While
in pursuit of General Bragg, the 15th Regiment
captured him in a farm house in Tennessee,
and with him was captured one who was sup-
posed to be his wife. General Bragg managed
to get this party through the lines, and it was
afterward found that it was Jefferson Davis,
the president of the Confederacy, who had
been fleeing from the Union troops. A short-
time afterward the 15th regiment ran Mr.
Davis into the hands of the 4th Michigan
regiment. Mr. Gohn was honoralDly discharged
from the service at Nashville, Tenn., at the
close of the war, and returned home to resume
farming with his father.

In 1867 Mr. Gohn married Miss Mary
Magdalena Sangrey, daughter of William and
Susan Sangrey, and after marriage located on
a farm at St. Luke's Church, which he had pur-
chased from Peter Sangrey, and which he sold
in 1869. He then removed to Manor township,
Lancaster county, where he rented a farm and
remained four years, and then returned home
and bought his present home of -seventy acres,
then all brush land, the timber having been cut
down, and nothing but the stumps remaining.
Mr. Gohn improved this land, built a house
and barn, and good substantial out-buildings.



and here he farmed until 1889, \\-hen he re-
tired from active life. Air. Gwlm built his
present home in 1901.

Fraternally Mr. Gohn is a member of Post
No. 260, G. A. R., Pleasant Grove, Lancaster
county. His religious membership is with no
church, but he is ever ready to assist any re-
ligious work, irrespective of creed. In politics
he is a Republican.

Mr. Gohn's first wife died in 1887, leaving
these children : Edward, of Chanceford town-
ship ; Annie, who married John Blouse, of
Windsor township ; Ella, who married Henry
Markle, of Red Lion ; and Lizzie, who married
Elwood Dettinger, and lives in Chanceford
township. Mr. Gohn was married (second),
in 1900, to Miss Lizzie Getchell.

GEORGE FREDERICK GABLE, young-
est son of Jacob and Anna Maria (Jackson)
Gable, was born in Windsor township, York
county, March 9, 1859. He has taken an active
part in politics from early manhood, always
voting the Republican ticket, and has been suc-
cessful in several lines of business. The family
history will be found elsewhere.

The school days of George Frederick Gable
began when he was six years old, and continued
.until he was fourteen. He had the unusual
privilege of finding his first teacher, Amos
Hengst, in the township schools where his later
lessons were learned. His business life began
at the age of fourteen, when he entered the
store of his brother, John Wesley Gable, as
clerk, rema,ining- there for twenty years. On
leaving the store Mr. Gable purchased and
stocked the old home farm, and carried it on
for a year. He then sold it, and in 1896 be-
came travelmg agent for a publishing firm of
Philadelphia ; among other publications which
he handled was the "Royal Scroll," of which
he made a gi-eat success. His next position
was as department manager in C. H. Baer's
department store in York. After a year there
he became floor walker in the store of P.
Wiest's Sons, then returning home to enter the
postal service.

George Frederick Gable married Melinda
Hively, June 11, 1878, and they began house-
keeping in the building adjoining his brother's



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 131 of 201)