Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 132 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 132 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


store. They have had the followoing children :
(i) Harry Strickler, born Sept. 24, 1879, in
Chanceford township, resides in Philadelphia.
After graduating from the gramniar and high
schools of Yovk he taught three years in Hel-



690



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



lam and one year in jNIanchester. He became a
clerk in Smith & Co.'s grocery store, in York,
whence he went to Philadelphia, where he was
employed in a chemical mannfacturing plant.
For three years he was a street car conductor
in Philadelphia, and is at present in one of the
offices of the Rapid Ti'ansit Traction Com-
pany's Frankford Division, Philadelphia, Pa.
(2)' Mervin Clayton, born Nov. 3, 1880, in
Hellam township, lives in Philadelphia. He
attended die pnblic schools, worked on the
farm three years, was employed by \A'illiam
Shafifer, of VVindsor township, and by Edward
Hauser, a coal dealer of Spring Garden town-
ship, and then learned the milling business with
John Alitzel, of Hellam township. He ran Mr.
Helb's mill at Railroad, Pa., near Shrewsbury,
for a year, then went to Philadelphia, and was
employed in a chemical manufactory a year,
since when he has been in Mr. Immel's com-
mission house. (3) Carrie Elmira, born Dec.
19, 1882, in Hellam township, graduated from
the township schools,' and the Normal at York,
.and has taken a term in the Millersville State
Normal School. She was always a good stu-
dent and began teaching at seventeen, has
taught five years in Hellam township, and is
considered one of the best teachers in the town-
■ ship. (4) Walter Emanuel, born July 9, 1884,
in Hellam township, is a clerk in C. H. Baer's
department store in York. He graduated from
the common schools, was a clerk two years in
the store of his uncle, J. W. Gable, and for one
year with Blessing & Gable. He then took a
•course in the ]\Iillers\'ille Normal School, after
which he obtained his present position. (5)
George Washington, born Jan. 31, 1886, in
Hellam township, attended the common
schools, and learned the trade of miller. At
present he has a position in Philadelphia with
the Pennsylvania Railroad Company. (6)
Jacob Luther, born [March 26, 1888, in Hellam
township, is at present book clerk with the York
Manufacturing Company of York. (7) Paul
Hively, born July 13, 1890, is at school. (8)
Helen Grace, born Nov. 7, 1892, is attending
school.

MeHnda (Hively) Gable, wife of George
Frederick, was a daughter of Amos and Har-
riet (Strickler) Hively, the former a native of
Windsor, the latter of Hellam township. Amos
Hively was a miller and worked nine years in
Strick'ler's mill at Hellam. He was in business
for himself at Detwilers for two years, and for



one year was at Christ ]Musslemen"s, at
Chickies, Lancaster county. Twenty-five
years ago he bought a farm in Chanceford
township, which he carried on until 1902,
wdien he retired from acti\-e life, and he now
resides in Hellam aged seventy-one years. He
has always been a Republican, and served as
constable in Windsor township many years
ago, as supervisor, tax collector and judge of
elections. In religion Mr. Hively is a Lutheran ;
his wife subscribes to the Dunkard faith. She
is now sixty-six years of age. Their children
were as follows ; Ellen, who died young ; Cal-
vin, who died young; Melinda, who married
George Frederick Gable; Harvey and Emma,
who died young; Amos, who married Nettie
Tosh, and lives at Hellam ; John, who married
Edith Rohrer, from Strasburg, Lancaster
county, and lives at Hellam ; Annie and ^lag-
gie, who are at home unmarried ; William, who
is married to Iva Curran, and is at present
engaged in farming.

Mr. Gable has been actively interested in
politics since he cast his first vote for Garfield.
He has voted for every Republican Presidential
candidate since then, and has taken consider-
able part in local politics. For nearly twenty
years he served as assistant postmaster at Hel-
lam, and in December, 1902. was appointed
rural free delivery carrier, a position he still
holds. His religious faith is that of the Lu-
theran Church. The comfortable family home
was built by Mr. Gable in 1884.

GEORGE B. TROUT, a successful
farmer of York county, now living retired in
Chanceford township, was born Nov. 13, 1842,
on the home farm in Chanceford township,
where he received a common-school educa-
tion, attending school from the age of six
}"ears until twenty-one, and spending one year
at the jNIurphy academy. He farmed with his
father until his marriage, after which
he lived at the Brogue for lour or five years,
following carpenter work, which trade he had
learned with Jesse • Warner of Collinsville.
He became a carpenter contractor and erected
manv fine residences and barns in the township.
Later Mr. Trout ceased carpentering and went
to farming, cropping by the half share for six
years, after w'hich he bought 100 acres of the
home farm, which he cultivated until 1899,
and then built his present home on a part of
the farm, on which he has since lived retired.



BIOGRAPHICAL



691



George B. Trout married (first) Sarah C.
^\'orking■er, who died on the farm Aug. 30,
1882, by whom he had the following children:
Jesse V. is a farmer; William H., who farms
for his father, married a Miss Andrews ; Anna
Bertha married Robert C. Andrews, of
Chanceford township; Maggie E. married
Jacob H. Lyons; and George. Mr. Trout's sec-
ond marriage^ which occurred Sept. 25, 1885,
was to Mary A. Wise, who was born in Lower
Chanceford' township in 1845, daughter of
Jacob and Rebecca (Urey) Wise, both of
whom are deceased. The only child of this
second marriage, Emma Rebecca, died in in-
fancy. Mr. Trout is a stanch Democrat, and
was appointed county tax collector in 1885,
being elected to that office again in 1890. He
is a devout member of the New Harmony
Church, Presbyterian, of Brogueville, with
which he united at the age of twenty-seven.
Mr. Trout is unfortunately afflicted with bad
hearing, which prevents him participating in
church or public affairs, as his talents would
have permitted.

George B. Trout is a survivor of the Civil
war. He enlisted at Harrisburg, in March,
1865, in Company A, 103d P. V. I., and served
until the close of the war, being stationed at
Harrisburg, Pa., and later at Norfolk, Va.
He was mustered out of service at Harrisburg,
Pa. Mr. Trout is noted for his industry and
honesty, and is one who deserves the name of
a first-class citizen. He has lived an upright,
industrious life, and now can enjoy the fruits
of his labor.

Jesse V. Trout was born at Brogue\-ille,
Feb. 14, 1869, and received his education in the
public schools of the township. At the age of
five years he \vas taught by Miss Sarah An-
dreson, and finished his education at the age
of nineteen years with Abe Spidel and a Miss
Fry. Mr. Trout has been a farmer all his life,
working for his father until the age of twenty-
nine, when he bought twenty-one acres of land
close to Brogueville, where he has since been
actively engaged.

THEODORE B. SEIP (deceased) was
for many years one of the leading farmers
and esteemed citizens of Conewago township,
where he also followed cigar making. IMr.
Seip was born Aug. 4, 1847, in Strinestown,
Conewago township, son of George Seip.

George Seip was born in York county.



where he was a school teacher. He was twice
married, having by his first wiin these chil-
dren : Robert, Oliver, Jacob and Theodore.
By his second wife he had these children:
Peter, William, Augustus, Charlotte, Susan,
Leah and Michael.

Theodore Seip was given the best educa-
tion afforded in the district schools of the time
and place, and learned the cigarmaking trade,
which he followed in conjunction with farm-
ing in Conewago township. He married Mag-
dalin Zorgar, daughter of Michael and Mary
Ann Zorgar, the former of whom died in
Newberry township, York count}', while the
latter died at the home of Mrs. Seip in Strines-
town. Both were buried at Pleasant Grove,
Newberry township. The children born to
Mr. and Mrs. Zorgar were : Daniel, Martin,
Lydia Ann, O. Anne, Lauretta, Eliza, Mary
and Magdalin.

After his marriage Theodore Seip located
in Newberry township, where he followed farm-
ing for about ten years. He then came to
Strinestown and bought a fine home, and fol-
lowed his trade in the township. Mr. Seip
was an invalid for about three years before his
death, which occurred in 1897, caused by can-
cer. He was buried at Pleasant Grove ceme-
tery.

On Feb. 15, 1864, Mr. Seip enlisted in
Company M, 7th Pennsyh-ania A^olunteers,
and served until Aug. 23, 1865, when he re-
ceived his honorable discharge. During ser-
vice he was wounded, losing the middle finger
of his left hand. Mr. Seip suffered greatly
from some disease of the back, contracted, no
doubt, from exposure while in the service. He
had an honorable war record, and one which
any man might have been proud of, and he
possessed the respect of all who knew him. He
was honest and upright as a citizen, and was
devoted to his family. For many years he was
a consistent member of the United Brethren
Church, and was unusually liberal in his sup-
port of all moral and religious movements. He
took great interest in public events and voted
the Republican ticket, being quite active in his
support of that party during his 3'ounger days.

Mr. Seip was the father of two sons — Al-
vin and Lake G., who are engaged in the cigar
business at Strinestown. !Mrs. Seip is well-
known, and is noted for her many amiable
characteristics and for her generous liospital-
itv.



692



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



HENRY FORTENBAUGH (deceased),
who served as justice of the peace of New-
berry township, York county, tollowed farm-
ing for a number of years on the farm which
formerly was owned by his grandfather, and
later by his father. Mr. Portenbaugh was
born Nov. 7, 1839, in Newberry township,
son of Peter and Elizabeth (Brubaker) Forten-
baugh.

The first of the Fortenbaugh family to
come to America from Germany were two
brothers, one of whom settled along the Sus-
quehanna river, near Goldsboro, the other, of
whom not much is known, settling in Dauphin
county.

Andrew Fortenbaugh, the grandfather of
Henry, was born in 1764, and was a local
preacher of the Evangelical faith. On April
II, 1800, he took up a tract of land consist-
ing of 149 acres in Newberry township, near
Yocumtown, purchasing it from John Bax-
ter and his wife. On June 2, 1810, Mr. For-
tenbaugh traded one-half acre of his land, upon
which was built, probably about this time, an
old mill, which is still standing at this time.
Andrew Fortenbaugh married a Miss Kauff-
man and they both died in the home in New-
berry township. Their children, all now de-
ceased, were : William ; Andrew ; Henry ;
Peter; and Nancy, who married Jacob Burger.

Peter Fortenbaugh was born June 7, 1796,
in Newberry township, where he received a
common-school education. He married Harriet
Grimes, who died June i, 1838, and is buried
in Newberry township. The children born to
Mr. Fortenbaugh and his first wife were :
Lydia died young; Leah, deceased, married
David Ort; Anna, deceased, married D. B.
Kister; and John died in infancy.- Mr. For-
tenbaugh's second wife, the mother of our sub-
ject, was Elizabeth Brubaker, daughter of Con-
rad and Elizzajjeth (Zeigler) Brubaker, and
she died about 1893, and is interred in New-
berry township. The children born of this
union were : Henry ; Martin, deceased, who
married Adeline Prowell, enlisted in Com-
pany C, 130th P. V. I., and was wounded in the
wrist at the battle of Antietam ; ■ Flarriet mar-
ried Joseph Updegrafif, and lives in Newberry
township; John married Miss Wetzel, and lives
in Randolph Co., Ind. ; Mary married John W.
Prowell, and lives in Newlierry township;
Susan married Hays Eppley. and both are
deceased ; Lydia died young; and Peter L., who



married Henrietta Good, is a justice of the
peace at Goldsboro.

At his death Henry Fortenbaugh owned
the farm, which his grandfather purchased in
1800, and here he remained for thirty years, at
that time removing to his late home, wdiere he
lived a retired life. In 1864 Mr. Fortenbaugh
married Julia Prowell, daughter of James B.
and Susan (Wilt) Prowell. Mrs. Prowell
died in 1856, while her husband survived until
1896, and both are buried at the Salem Church,
in Fairview township. The children born to
Mr. and Mrs. Fortenbaugh were ; IMaggie,
\A-ho married William Kohler, and lives on the
old homestead in Newberry township ; Susan,
who married Dr. Robert Swiler, and lives in
Harrisburg; Elizabeth, who married Benjamin
Fisher, and lives in Fairview township ; Abra-
liam, a graduate of the Palms Business Col-
lege, Philadelphia, and now bookkeeper for the
United Ice & Coal Co., at Steelton; Annie, who
died at the age of three years ; and James P.,
who is a painter by trade, in New Cumberland.

In 1867 Mr. Fortenbaugh was elected jus-
tice of the peace for a term of five years, and in
1901 was appointed by the. governor to fill out
a term of one year. In the spring of 1902
Judge Fortenbaugh was again elected for a
term of five years. In political matters Mr.
Fortenbaugh was a Republican, and took a
lively interest in his party's success. For seven
years he was school director, and was also
called upon to fill the office of auditor for two
years; assessor for three years, and township
treasurer for two years. Mr. Fortenbaugh's
many local positions of trust, tendered him
without solicitation, were filled by him with
care and honor. He was one of the most
popular and public-spirited citizens of New-
berry township, was identified with many local
improvements, and all through his public career
wielded' a wide influence. The Fortenbaugh
family is well known and very highly esteemed
in the community.

EDWIN INNERS, owner of one of the
fine farm properties of York township, where
he is living practically retired, though still ac-
cording a general supervision to the place, was
born on the old home farm, in York township,
Oct. 26, 1843, son of George and Leah (Evert)
Inners, both of whom passed their entire lives
in York county, being members of sterling"
pioneer families.



BIOGRAPHICAL



693



George Inners was born in York township,
jNIarch 9, 1805, and was reared to manhood on
the home farm, receiving a common-school
education. In his youth he learned the black-
smith's trade, which he followed as a vocation
for a few years, after which he purchased the
old Hartman farm, of about one hundred and
in farming, while he also erected a grist mill,
ten acres, in York township, and there engaged
which he ecjuipped with the best of machinery
to be had in that period, and the Inners mill
became and remains one of the landmarks of
this section of the county, having been in oper-
ation during the greater portion of the time
since its erection. The mill and the old home-
stead farm are now owned by Henry Inners,
brother of the subject of this review. George
Inners continued to devote his attention to his
farming and milling enterprises until his death,
which occurred Nov. 28, 1876, while his
cherished and devoted wife was summoned into
eternal rest March 19, 1883, both being laid
to rest in the Blimyer church3'ard, in York
township. Mr. Inners was one of the substantial
and influential men of the county, inflexible
in his integrity of purpose, g'enerous and kindly
in his association with his fellowmen and loyal
in all the duties of citizenship, so that he
naturally commanded the esteem and respect
of all who knew him. He was a Democrat
in politics, and both he and his wife were mem-
bers of the Blimyer church. Of their children.
Henry is the eldest and is living on the old
homestead, as has already been stated: Mary
died Nov. 16, 1905; Edwin is the immediate
subject of this sketch ; George and Reuben are
deceased; Caroline is living; Elizabeth is de-
ceased; and William.

Edwin Inners grew up on the farm, as
sisting to a due extent in its work and also
in the operation of the mill, while he continued
to attend the district schools of York town-
ship until he had attained the age of seventeen
years. He was associated with his father in
the work of the farm and mill until 1870. He
then effected the purchase of his father-in-law's
farm of eighty-one acres, in York township,
where he continued to give his active super-
vision to the cultivation of the place until 1902,
when he practically retired from active labor,
though he still resides in the attractive home-
stead. On Feb. 6, 1904, Mr. Inners met with
an accident of most unfortunate order, having
caugb.t his right hand in the machinerv while



engaged in operating a fodder-cutter, and ha\ -
ing so seriously mangled and crushed the mem-
ber as to necessitate its amputation at the wrist.

At the time when the integrity of the
Union \\-as thrown into jeopardy through
armed lebellicn, Mt. Inners manifested his in-
trinsic loyalty and patriotism by enlisting as
a private in Company G, 103d P. V. I., with
which he served until the close of one year's
enlistment, when he received his honorable
discharge, having been in Virginia during the
greater portion of this interval and his com-
mand having there been assigned to guard duty.
In politics Mr. Inners has ever accorded alle-
giance to the Democratic party, while he has
taken a proper interest and part in local af-
fairs of a public nature. Both he and his wife
hold membership in the Lutheran church, be-
ing enrolled as valued members of what is
known as the Blimyer church.

On May 16, 1869, was solemnized the mar-
riage of Mr. Inners to Miss Elizabeth Schlag,
who was born and reared in York township,
this county, daughter of Michael and Mary
(Seiger) Schlag, the former of whom was
born Aug. 9, 1809, and died Jan. 6, 1895,
while the latter was born April 11, 1813, and
died Aug. i, 1880. They died on the farm
now owned by Mr. Inners, Mr. Schlag having
owned the property for many years prior to his
demise, and having been one of the reputable
and honored citizens of this section. To Mr.
and Mrs. Inners have been born children as fol-
lows : Eleanor M. is the wife of Jeremiah
Snyder, a successful farmer and cigar manu-
facturer of York township ; Michael married
]\Iiss Flora M. Beeler, and they reside in Dallas-
town, this county, where he is a contractor and
builder by vocation ; Thomas died at the age
of nineteen years; and Uriah, who married
Miss Jennie Jackson, remains at home and has
the general charge of the old farm. Mazie
Alvertia, daughter of Uriah and Jennie Inners,
died Feb. 6, 1906, aged three years, two
months and five days and was buried at Blim-
yer graveyard.

ED^\^\RD S. FREY is a representative
of one of the old and honored families of York
county, and is at the present time incumbent
of the position of city engineer in the city of
York, being- a popular and able official, while
he has attained no little prestige in his chosen
profession.



654



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Samuel Fhey, grandfather of Echvard S.,
was for many years engaged in the retail
grocery trade in York, being a prominent and
influential citizen and business man.

Samuel C. Frey, father of our subject, is
one of the representative members of the Bar
of York, county. Such is his standing in the
communit)^, both professionally and as a loyal
and public-spirited citizen, that no words of
praise need be incorporated in this sketch as
concerning him, but it may be said that he
wields marked influence in public and civic af-
fairs and is a man of high professional attain-
ments. He married Miss Lillie I. Schaffer, of
York, and they became the parents of three
children : Robert S., who is engaged in the
practice of law in the city of York, having
completed his technical reading under the direc-
tion of James G. Glessner, the present district
attorney of York county, and having been ad-
mitted to the Bar of his native county in
November, 1904, in which same month his
preceptor was elected to his present office ;
Hazel B., a member of the class of 1905, in
the York high school; and Edward S.

Edward S. Frey was born in the city of
York, March 19, 1881, and after the public
school, including a course in the local hig"h
school, he continued his studies in the York
Collegiate Institute, after which he matricu-
lated in the Pennsylvania State University,
where he completed the prescribed technical
course in civil engineering-, being graduated as
a member of the class of 1903, and receiving
his degree of Bachelor of Science. After his
graduation Mr. Frey engaged in the work of
his profession under Robert B. McKinnon, city
engineer of York, and in April, 1904, he was
appointed official draughtsman for the city.

In politics Mr. Frey is known as a loyal
and enthusiastic advocate of the principles of
the Republican party, and both he and his wife
are members of St. Paul's Lutheran chuixh.
While a student in the university our subject
was prominently identified with the Sigma
Alpha Epsilon fraternity, while he was for a
time manager of the college baseball team and
also held membership in the football team, be-
ing prominently concerned in the athletic and
literary affairs of the institution. Fle was a
member of the Thespians, a dramatic associa-
tion, and enjoyed marked popularity among his
fellow students, as he does also in the business
and social circles of his native citv.



On June 15, 1904, was solemnized the mar-
riage of I\Ir. Frey to Miss Roxie Irene Snively,
daughter of the late Dr. Andrew J. Snively,
of Hanover, this county, one of the prominent
and honored members of the medical profes-
sion at the time of his death.

KLINEDINST. The Klinedinst family in
America was founded at least two hundred
years ago by David Klinedinst, who came to
this country from Hanover, Germany, and set-
tled in the neighborhood of Hanover, York
county. Pa. The maternal great-grandfather
of the Klinedinsts, now resident of York, was
from Licli, Hesse-Darmstadt, where he was
burgomaster, an office that had been in the fam-
ily for almost half a century. David Kline-
dinst, grandfather of David P., of York, was
a lumber merchant in York.

John Klinedinst, son of David, was a mer-
chant who spent his later years in retirement,
and died in 1875, ^^ the age of sixty-six. He
married Margaret Wagner, daughter of Philip
Wagner, a live stock dealer of York, and two
sons were born of this union : John Ferdinand,
the physician ; and David P., the lawyer. Mrs.
Klinedinst died in 1897, aged fifty-six years.
One of her relatives is Supreme Bishop of the
Lutheran Church of Flesse Darmstadt.

David P. Klinedinst, attorney-at-law,
was born in York, Pa., July 31, 1870, and as
a boy attended the public schools. He studied
at York Collegiate Institute, and then became
a student at Yale, graduating" from the law
school in 1897 and receiving the degree of
LL. B., after which he read law with Stewart,
Niles & Neff. He v.'as admitted to practice in
the Connecticut courts immediately after his
graduation, and to the York County Bar the
same year. From 1899 until May i, 1903, he
occupied the position of cny solicitor for York.

[Mr. Klinedinst finds time for much social
and civic activity, in addition to his exclusive
professional work. He is a member of the
York County Bar Association, being an ex-
member of the Board of Censors in the latter
society, and he is also a member of the Penn-
sylvania Bar Association. He is attorney for
the American Surety Company, of New York,
and for the local branch of the Children's Home
Soci.ety of Pennsylvania. Fie is a member of
the Bachelor's Club, and the Country Club of
York : and belongs to the Yale Alumni Asso-
ciation of Philadelphia. He is one of the board



BIOGRAPHICAL



695



of governors and secretar}' of the York
Oratorio Society and has been one of its most
active officials. He belongs to St. Paul's
English Evangelical Lutheran Church, where
he is a member of the church council, and
secretary of the Sunday school. He is also
one of the i3oar(l of managers of the Y. M. C.
A., and is a life member of the York Hospital
and Dispensary Association, and of the Chil-
dren's Home Society of Pennsylvania. He has
traveled extensively, spending' much time in
Great Britain and Continental Europe, in 1903,
with his friends, iMessrs. Jere Carl and J. G.
Glessner. His travels have also covered the
United States and Canada. Possessed of
literary as well as leg'al knowledge, he is a fine



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 132 of 201)