George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 134 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 134 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Catherine (Rife) Hays, both of whom were
likewise born in York county, being represen-
tatives of stanch pioneer stock. The father of
our subject was born in Newberry township,
in 1843, ^"d his vocation in life has been that
of farmer. He is now living in York. His
wife, also born in the year 1843, was a daugh-
ter of Henry and Lucy Rife, and she was
summoned into eternal rest Noy. 2, 1903. John
Hays, grandfather of our subject, was a car-
penter and millwright by trade, and was a
man of prominence and influence in York coun-

ty in his day and generation. He mai:ried Jane
Morris and they reared a large family of chil-
dren, having many descendants in York county
at the present time.

H. Samuel Hays secured his preliminary
education in the public schools of Newberry,
this county, and after completing the curricu-
lum of the same he entered York County Acad-
emy, and a normal school at Valparaiso, Ind.,
where he remained as a student until he had at-
tained the age of nineteen years, when he put
his scholastic attainments to practical use and
■test by engaging to teach in the district
schools of his native county, being thus iden-
tified with the pedagogic profession for eight
consecutive terms and meeting with gratifying
success in his work. _ Upon abandoning his
labors in this line Mr. Hays secured a clerkship
in 1898 in the office of the late George A. Bar-
nitz, one of the most 'extensive coal and
wood dealers of York, and he has ever since
remained with the concern, having been made
manager of the enterprise in 1901. He has
well upheld the prestige of the business and is
known as one of the able and progressive
young business men of the county. In politics
Mr. Hays is a stanch advocate of the principles
of the Democratic party ; fraternally he is aifil-
iated with the Patriotic Sons of America and
the Knights of Malta, while he also holds mem-
bership in the York Democratic Club : and both
he and his wife are valued members of St.
Paul's Lutheran Church.

On Dec. 5, 1895, was solemnized the mar-
riage of Mr. Hays to Miss Carrie D. Patterson,
who was born and reared in York county, being
a daughter of William E. and Maria Patterson,
well known citizens of York.

DAVID CUNNINGHAM, a lifelong res-
ident of Springetsbury township, is the sec-
ond of his family in the county, in line of de-
scent, and was born there Oct. 12, 1839.

John Cunningham, father of David, was
born in Maryland, Jan. 22, 1800, and died
June 29, 1866. He came from his native State
to York county in early manhood and settled
just east of York city, in what was then Spring
Garden township. At first he worked as a day
laborer, then was employed in the construc-
tion of .the Wrightsville railroad, and later
turned to farming. His first purchase was a
small property but he soon bought the place
now owned by his son David, consisting of 104


acres twcj and a half miles northeast of York.
This tract was entirely wild, but Mr. Cunning-
ham with the help of his sons cleared the tim-
ber, put up buildings and generally improved
it, making farming his permanent occupation.
His property was all acquired through his own
industry and he was liberal both of his means
and time in furthering the progress of his com-
munity. He assisted largely in the erection of
Mount Zion Lutheran Church and was in e\'er}'
wa)' progressive and public-spirited. Gifted
with the faculty of ingratiating himself with
all, he had a large circle of friends and many
warm admirers. He married Miss Elizabeth
Spangler, daughter of John and Christine
( Shultz ) Spangler, who w'as born Oct. 1 7,
1812, and survived her husband till March 7,
1883. They had children as follows: William,
deceased; Susan, deceased wife of William
Nye ; George and John, twins, both deceased ;
Lucinda, who died unmarried ; Eli, of
Spring'etsbury township ; David ; and Eliza-
beth, Mrs. Henry Shultz, of the same tf.iwnship.
David Cunningham was given a limited ed-
ucation in the public schools and began early
to assist his father on the farm. On reaching
manhood he decided to make farming his vo-
cation and has always devoted himself to that
calling. He owns sixty-seven acres of the old
homestead and also two good residence prop-
erties. On his farm he has a tine peach orchard
of 400 trees and is a wide-awake, energetic
farmer and business man. He is a strong-
Democrat and always ready to do his utmost
for the public welfare. He was married Feb.
26, 1869, to Miss Kate Kohler, daughter of
Henry and Mary (Cramer) Kohler, and to this
union eight children have been, born, viz. :
Elmira, Mrs. Samuel Hess, of York township ;
Charles, yard boss at the York freight depot of
the Pennsylvania railroad, who married Miss
Emma Stough, of Springetsbury township ;
James, a molder, who married Miss Lizzie
Sheughberger, of Lancaster, Pa. ; Nettie, Mrs.
Henry Moul, of Eberton ; Luther, who mar-
ried Miss Emma Boyer, of Eberton; Susan,
Avho taught school seven years prior to her mar-
riage to Edward Heikes, of ^Manchester town-
ship ; George and William, at home. The fam-
ily are all connected with the Lutheran Church,
in which Mr. Cunningham is an elder.

The Rouse family is one of the oldest in York
countv, where the first one of the name in

Pennsylvania settled in Spring Garden town-
ship, in 1747. Eor ox'er a century and a half
nis descendants have been prominent in vari-
ous walks of life, some in the Christian minis-
try, some in manufacturing, some in mercan-
tile life and some in agriculture. Whate\-er
their stage of action, they have acted well then
parts. Edward Ellswovth Rouse, the \\ell-
known carriage manufacturer, was born in
Spring Garden township, Feb. 6, 1866, son of
Juhn and Lydia (Tyson) Rouse.

John Rouse was one of three children; the
brother who was named Jacob, died, and the
sister, Magdalena, married John Becker and
lives in California. John and Lydia (Tyson)
Rouse were the parents of five children also :
John C. ; Charles H. ; Edward E. ; Rosa; and
Maria J., deceased wife of Jacob Andrew.
John Rouse died Oct. 26, 1865, and in 1886
his widow married Phineas Palmer. She .was
again left a widow in 1901, and has since then
lived at Violet Hill, Spring Garden township.
She is now seventy-nine )-ears old.

Edward E. Rouse attended the public
schools of his native township, and after com-
pleting his education he started to learn the
blacksmith's trade with Alexander [Nlarklev,
but finished his apprenticeship under Phineas
Palmer. Later Mr. Rouse engaged somewhat
extensively in the ice business, but in 1890 em-
barked in his present occupation at Violet Hill,
South George streeet, and while the location
is rather removed from the center of trade, he
has by his thorough and practical knowledge
built up a business of large proportions, equal-
ing, if not excelling, any similar concern in
rural York count}-. In the beginning he had
but one anvil, but now he employs eight me-
chanics and turns out over 200 vehicles annu-

Mr. Rouse chose for his first wife ;\Iiss
Eugenia Croll, daughter of \\'illiam Croll.
and to their union one child was born. Charles
E. Left a widower, Mr. Rouse was married in
February. 1896, to Miss Elizabeth ^^■under.
daughter of John Wunder. Her one brother
died in 1904, and her sister Mary, is :\Irs.
Henry Bier. By his second wife Mr. Rouse has
had one daughter. Helen R. The family home
is an old stone house, adjoining Mr. Rouse's
shops, and it is one of the oldest residences in
the county. Mr. Rouse is a member of the
Fraternal Order of Eagles, of the Foresters
of America, and of the Improved Order of


JOHN K. FISHER is one of the old resi-
dents and highly respected citizens of New-
market, Fairview township, York county. He
was born Feb. 14, 1834, in Newberry town-
ship, this county, son of John and Sarah '(Kirk)

David Fisher, his grandfather, was of Ger-
man descent. He died in Newberry township,
leaving children as follows : Jacob, David,
Samuel, Daniel, Abraham, Nancy and John.

John Fisher, the father of John K. Fisher,
was born in York count}^ and followed farm-
ing, first in Newberry township, later remov-
ing to Fairview township, where he continued
farming until his death. He married Sarah
Kirk, daughter of Solomon Kirk, and she died
in Fairview township, both she and her hus-
band being buried there, at Salem Church.
They were the parents of the following named
children : Samuel, who died in High Spire,
■ Dauphin county ; Mary, who died at the same
place ; John K. ; William, who lives on the old
homestead in Fairview township; Zacharias,
who died in Fairview township ; Sarah Ann,
who died in Decatur, 111., and is buried at Har-
risburg ; Barbara, living in Indiana ; and Lu-
cinda, who lives in High Spire, Dauphin

John K. Fisher attended the public schools
of Fairview township until about twenty years
of age, and was then employed in the steel
works at Steelton for about twenty-five years.
In 1850, he settled in Newmarket, where he
follows farming and trucking, and he is one
of the oldest residents of that place. On Feb.
15' 1857, Mr. Fisher married Elizabeth Wist-
ler, daughter of Joseph and Mary (Musser)
Wistler, of York county. Mr. Wistler was a
miller by trade and ran the old Eyster mill for
a number of years. To Mr. and Mrs. Wistler
the following children were born : Harry,
Jacob, Joseph, Samuel, Adeline, Martha,
Alary, Elizabeth, Susan and Anna.

Mr. Fisher enlisted Feb. 25, 1865, in Com-
pany K, I92d Regiment Pennsylvania Volun-
teers, at Harrisburg, and was discharged Aug.
24, 1865, at Harper's Ferry. He has an hon-
orable war record. In politics a Republican, he
has never aspired to public office. To him and
his wife the following children were bom :
Edward, who married a Thorby, lives at New
Cumberland, Cumberland county ; Joseph, a
machinist of Chicago, 111. ; Ida, living at New

Cumberland, whose husband was drowned in
the Susquehanna river; Mary, married to
George Heffelberger and living in New Cum-
berland ; Sadie, married to Samuel Snell and
living at Newmarket; Russell, who married
Mary Flesher and lives at New Cumberland;
and Ellsworth, who married Bertha Alitchell
and lives at New Cumberland. There are thir-
teen grandchildren.

GEORGE KABLE, a retired merchant
i-ailor of York, who was for many years en-
gaged in business in that city, was born April
II, 1841, in Germany, son of J. Leonard

J. Leonard Kabel (as the name was then
spelled), was born in Germany, where he en-
gaged in vineyard pole making. He married
Eva Elizabeth Olt, born in Germany, daughter
of George, a tailor by trade,, and for many
years burgomaster in Breitenbrunn, Grand
Duchy of Hesse Darmstadt, Germany. Mr.
Olt came to America and settled near Dallas-
town, where he lived retired until his death
Feb. 24, 1870, at the age of eighty- four years,
eleven months and five days; his remains were
interred in the Union cemetery in Dallastown.
J. Leonard Kabel died in 1855, during a great
small-pox epidemic in Germany, and- on April
27th of the same year, his family landed in
America^ first at New York, having been on
the water forty-seven days. From New York
the family removed to York Co., Pa., settling
near Dallastown. The widowed mother died
at York, at the home of George Kable, Sept.
15, 1872, aged sixty years, four months and
twenty-two days, and was buried at Prospect
Hill cemetery. She was the mother of four
children: Georg-e, our subject; Dorothy, who
preceded the family to America, accompanying
her grandfather from Germany, and who is
now keeping" house for her brother George;
Philipp, who died at the age of seventeen years ;
and J. L., merchant tailor on West Philadel-
phia street.

George Kable attended the schools of Ger-
many and was fourteen years of age when
brought to America by his mother. On Oct.
15, 1855, hs was bound out to Jacob Brown to
learn the tailor's trade, and at the time of the
big fire in York, the latter's place was de-
stroyed. Mr. Brown removed his place of
business to the county jail, northeast corner of



George and King streets, until he rebuilt on
South Queen street and in April, 1862, Mr.
Kable engaged in business for himself on West
Market street. Here he remained four years
and then removed to the present site of the
\\'estern National Bank. In 1868 Mr. Kable
bought his present • property, No. 264 West
Market street, of John Boreing. This he re-
built and conducted a business therein until
Jan. 16, 1903, when he retired from active life.

Mr. Kable married Barbara Breitling, who
was born June 24, 1844, at AVurtemberg, Ger-
many, daughter of Gottleib Breitling. She died
Sept. 17, 1876, and was laid to rest in Pros-
pect Hill cemetery. The children born to this
union were as follows : J. William, born July
I, 1862, married Lula Ross, who died April 5,
1904, and he is now engaged in the merchant
tailor business at his father's old stand ; Charles
Philip, born March 20, 1864, married and is
proprietor of the White Rose Laundry of
York; George W., born Jan. 6, 1866, is mar-
ried and resides on Beaver street, and has been
a letter carrier of York for thirteen years ;
Leonard, born Sept. 6, 1868, died at the age of
seventeen years; Paul Olt, born Sept. 26, 1870,
is a merchant tailor of Massachusetts ; and Cor-
delia is the wife of Frank Beck of York.

On November 21, 1905, Mr. Kable again
married, the bride being Mary M. Fuhrman,
representing an old and respected family of

Mr. Kable is a Republican in politics. He
has been a member of the First Moravian
Church of York for seventeen years, and is a
good citizen and an upright man. He has never
let anything in the way "of discouragements in-
terfere with his success, as during the flood in
York, his loss was great, his place being situ-
ated then, as it is now, near Codorus Creek.
This did not daunt Mr. Kable, however, and
except for a slight pause, his trip to success
was not interfered with in the least.

and successful hotel-keeper in Wrightsville,
Avas born in that town Oct. 22, 1862, while his
parents were residing just opposite the present
site of his hotel.

George Fleckenstine, father of John W.,
was a native of Saxony, born in February,
1832. He received his education there, and
was twenty-six years old when he came to

America. After a sixty days voyage on a sail-
nig vessel he landed at Baltimore, and from
there made his way to York county, Pa. At
first he secured employment on Mr.' Rouser's
tarm near York, but later, after his marriage,
was engaged in the lumber yard of the Henry
James Company, in Wrightsville. His wife
was a native of Germany, born in Saxony in
1835, accompanied her parents to America in
1859, and settled in York. She died in 1899
She and her husband were both members of
the German Catholic Church in Columbia. Mr.
Fleckenstine is a Democrat in his political

John W. Fleckenstine attended the public
schools until he was fifteen years of age for
the greater part of this time under Prof '^ Gard-
ner. After leaving school he entered the em-
ploy of Loomis & Brillinger in their lumber-
yard, and for three years worked there for
fifty cents a day, his wages going to his par-
ents. He then became an apprentice with the
Wrightsville Hardware Company, to learn the
molding trade, and spent the next three years
m their foundry, after which he spent 'four
years in Waynesboro, Franklin county work-
mg as a journeyman. Returning to AVrio-hts-
ville at the expiration of that time, Mr Fleck-
enstine was made foreman for his former em-
ployers of the Hardware Company, and re-
mained there two years. He then spent eight
years with the Keeley Stove Company, Colum-
bia, Pa. Still pursuing his trade, he worked
successfully in Danville, Limerick and Read-
mg, but since 1892 he has been occupied wi!h
the hotel business instead of his former em-
ployment, taking charge of the hotel owned bv
his wife.

J\Ir. Fleckenstine was married in April,
1892. to Mrs. James McLaughlin (^vhose
maiden name was Catherine Miner), of Co-
lumbia, Lancaster county. Mrs. McLaughlin
had come into possession of the hotel property
at the death of her first husband, and for the
five years previous to her second union had
been conducting the house herself. Mr. and
Mrs. Fleckenstine have made extensive im-
provements in the hotel, in particular adding
a forty-five foot brick addition to the rear of
the structure, which affords nine more rooms.
They well understand the art of making their
guests comfortable and spare no pains to ren-
der their hostelry as satisfactory and com-



plete as possible, an effort fully appreciated by
their patrons.

To the union of Mr. and ^Irs. Fleckenstine
one son has coine, Carol Stewart, born April
I, 1895, while Mrs. Fleckenstine has two
daughters by her first marriage, namely:
Emeline, aged twenty-three, and Pauline, aged
eighteen. The mother is a member of the
Lutheran Church, as are also her daughters,
while her husband belongs to the German
Catholic Church.

Mr. Fleckenstine has long taken an active
part in local politics and wields considerable
influence in the Democratic ranks. He has
been on the county committee several times,
and has been a delegate to six county conven-
tions. He is now serving his third term as
councilman from the First ward, and the hand-
some majorities by which he has overcome a
nominal Republican majority of one hundred
well attest his popularity and fitness for the
office. Mr. Fleckenstine was one of those who
started the agitation for dividing the borough
into wards, which was accomplished during
February, 1900, since which time he has served
his ward continuously. He is also a charter
member of the Wrightsville Fire Company,
has been its chief for the past six years and has
also taken an active interest in the State affairs
of firemen, so that he is well known, and is as
widely respected as he is known.

LEVI BANGE, one of the leading busi-
ness men of Glenville, has been engaged for
the past thirty years in selling sewing ma-
chines, but has also found time to pursue some
other lines as well, and has by his energy and
good business qualities become one of the sub-
stantial men of Codorus township.

Jacob Bange, grandfather of Levi, was the
first of the family to leave Germany, and he
settled in Manheim township among the early
residents of York county, passing the rest of
his life there. By his wife, Elizabeth (New-
comer) Bange, he had two sons : Jacob, who
died at the age of seventeen, and John N.

John N. Bange was born on the home farm,
and spent his whole life there, dying when
seventy-three years old. His wife, Elizabeth
(Umberger) Bange, lived to be seventy years
of age, and the remains of both are buried at
the "Stone Church" in Codorus township.
They had a large family, as follows: Levi;
John; Noah, deceased; Aaron, of Harrisburg;

Le\'ina, wife of Henry Sterner, of Codorus
township; Lydia, Mrs. Emanuel Stremmel, of
Penn township; Caroline, deceased wife of
Charles Rinehart, of Manheim township;
Elizabeth, Mrs. Valentine Wildasin, of Penn
township; and Katie, Mrs. Ephraim Messin-
ger, of Paradise township.

Levi Bange was born in Manheim town-
ship, Sept. 4, 1848, and attended the local
schools till he was twent3^ He remained at
home a short time longer before entering upon
his business career. He became a dealer in
sewing machines and 'also in bug'gies, doing
both a wholesale' and retail business. The first
machines which he handled were the White,
l:ut later he changed to the Singer, and is still
selling that popular make. The firm is known
as Bange & Son, and they are very well-known
through the county, where they have placed
several thousand machines. Mir. Bange has
been located at Glenville since 1902. For ten
years he was also engaged in farming on a
tract of ninety-six acres which he owned in
Manheim township, but in 1905 he sold the
place to his son, George H.

Mr. Bange was married, in 1876, to Miss
Emma Rosa Kraft, daughter of Jesse and Lu-
cinda (Baughman) Kraft, the former the pres-
ent owner of the Heidelberg mill. They have
two children, George H. and Annie. Mr.
Bange is a member of the "Stone Church"
(Lutheran) and is actively engaged in its
work. He is a good citizen, always ready to
promote the best interests of his county.
In politics he is a Democrat.

WILLIAM H. KUHL, proprietor of a
livery and boarding stable at No. 388 West
Mason alley in York, is a native of that city,
born Aug. 23, 1861, to Peter and Elizabeth
(Weist) Kuhl. of Gei'man ancestry.

The great-grandfather of William Kuhl
was the first of the family to leave Germany.
His son Peter was born in America, and for
the greater part of his life was a distiller in
West Manchester township, York county.

Peter Kuhl (2) was born in that town-
ship in 1826, and lived till May 29, 1904.
From the time he was seven till he was seven-
teen he lived with Adam Smyser, and being
given then no opportunity to go to school,
was obl-'ged to get his education by himself
later, as chance offered. Learning the black-
smithing trade under John Winter, he worked



with him for se\'enteen years in \\'est ]\Ian-
chester township, and then after a couple of
years at Kreutz Creek, Hellam township, re-
turned to his old employer for another year.
The ensuing five years were spent wori<ing on
his own account in a shop he buih on land
bought from Wihiam Smyser, but at the end
of that time the shop burned, and instead of re-
building Mr. Kuhl purchased John Winter's
homestead and passed the remainder of liis life
there. For fifty-five years he followed his
trade, but his last six years were free from
such arduous labor. He was a man active in
public affairs, supporting the Republican party,
while in religious matters he was identified with
the Wolf's Reformed Church, and he filled the
offices of elder, deacon and president of the
board. Mr. Kuhl made his first aim in life
to do what was right to his fellowman, and
his kind, considerate disposition and conduct
made him a host of warm friends, while not
one was his enemy. Throughout his life he
was never engaged in a law suit, neither suing
nor being sued ; he was temperate in all things,
never used intoxicants, and he was an example
in every way to his community. He began life
a poor boy, but succeeded in amassing a hand-
some competence.

Peter Kuhl chose for his wife. Miss Eliza-
beth Weist, who still survives him. She bore
him children as follows : Ella, Mrs. Frank
Gross, of York ; William H. ; Alice, ]\Irs. John
Fisher, of West Manchester township; Annie,
Mrs. Israel Fishel, of Codorus township;
George A., a finisher for the York Carriage
Company; Lizzie, who married the late John
Elliker, of York township; Katie, Mrs. Clar-
ence Grass, of West Manchester township ; and
Sallie, who died in childhood.

William H. Kuhl was reared on his father's
homestead, where he remained till he was twen-
ty-four years old, assisting his father in the
smithy. He then bought a piece of property
at Bear's Station, in West Manchester town-
ship, and carried on the blacksmith's business
there for five years before selling the place.
In 1 89 1 he moved into York, worked a year
for P. C. Wiest as candy-mixer, another as
traveling salesman for the Acme Candy Com-
pany, and spent still another twelve months as
agent for the Prudential Life Insurance Com-
pany. During the next six years he served as
constable for the Eleventh ward, an elective
office, and then in March, 1898, embarked in his

present enterprise. As proprietor of a livery
stable the same success attends Mr. Kuhl that
has marked all his previous undertakings. He
carries a full line of livery stock, comprising
si.xteen first-class horses, and he does a large
business, receiving many orders for carriages
for funerals and weddings.

Mr. Kuhl has rounded out the second
decade of his married life. He was united.
May 13, 1885, to Miss Lillie Eisenhart, daugh-
ter of Dr. Herman Eisenhart, of Manchester
township. They reside at No. 452 Park street,-
and are both members of the Lutheran Church.
In politics Mr. Kuhl is an ardent Republican
and active in the affairs of his party. He be-
longs to the P. O. S. of A., Jr. O. U. A. M.,
and Brotherhood and Roj'al Fire Co., of York,
and is a popular member of these organizations.

Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 134 of 201)