Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 136 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 136 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


•county and his name has ever stood S3mony-
mous with integrity and inflexible honesty of
purpose, so that he has at all times com-
manded the confidence and high regard of his
fellowmen. In politics he is a stanch advocate
of the principles of the Republican party, and
his religious faith is that of the Lutheran
Church, of which his wife likewise is a devoted
member, both having been for many years
prominent in the various departments of the
church w'ork.

On Feb. 12, 1863, was solemnized the mar-
riage of Mr. Bahn to Sarah Ann Sprenkle,
who was born in Windsor township, Oct. 6,
1843, and was there reared to maturity. The
marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Bahn w-as solem-
nized by Rev. J. Oswald. Mr. Bahn and his
devoted wife have no children of their own, but



BIOGRAPHICAL



they have adopted two children, to whom they
have given good educational advantages and
the kindly affection of true foster parents. Of
these children we record that Hiram Grant
Bahn, who married Emma Keller, is a resi-
dent of Dallastown ; Sarah Ann Bahn, who be-
came the wife of Jacob Slenker, is now de-
ceased.

BENJAMIN FULTON PAYNE, one of
the prominent citizens of Hopewell township,
York county, is a direct and worthy descend-
ant of a family which was established in Penn-
sylvania in the days of William Penn. Its
record of family mo\'ements, attainments and
numerous descendants is of a most interesting
character. A few records may be included in
the sketch of our highly esteemed subject.

The earliest settlers of the Payne family in
Chester county were Josiah and Martha ( Shep-
ard) Payne, natives of Eng'land, and devoted
adherents of George Fox and Elias Hicks.
They came to the Penn settlement mainh' to
escape English persecution. It is presumed
that they later moved to Harford county, Md. ;
probably some of their children settled near
Darlington or Fawn Grove, York county. Pa.
Their children were : Martha, George, Jesse,
John, Eleazer, Alice, Hannah, Elizabeth and
Ruth. John and Eleazer married Mary and
Elizabeth Manifold. The parents of the [Mani-
fold sisters were old and respected residents,
Quakers also, of New Garden township, Ches-
ter county, and Benjamin Manifold was one of
the first settlers in Fawn township, York
county.

George Payne had children : Henry ; Jesse,
Hannah, who married Robert Hartzel ; ]\Iary,
who married Benjamin Manifold; Martha,
who was a tra\'eling preacher, married to
Abraham Smith ; Rachel, who married Abra-
ham McClery ; Sarah, who married John
Scpib ; and Alice, who married Levi Smith.
George Payne and his wife settled near Fawn
Grove, York county, but subsequently moved
to Berkeley county, A^irginia.

The great-great-grandfather of our subject,
John Payne, was of English parentage, being
a son of George Payne, the first of this line to
come from England, whose wife's name was
Martha. They were Quakers and settled in
Chester county. Pa. The son John subse-
quenth' came to York county and bought a
farm in East Hopewell township. This prop-



erty is now owned by our subject, and it has
been in the Payne iamily since in 1769.

John Payne had two children, of whom
Benjamin, was our subject's great-grand-
father. By his marriage to a woman of
Scotch-Irish descent a Presbyterian element
entered into this old Quaker family, which, up
to this time had religiously followed the tenets
of the latter faith. Benjamin Payne united
with the Presbyterian Church, and it is re-
corded that he became prominent in this body.
Always a man of Christian life and conduct,
the change in his form of worship did not make
any material change in his conduct. Benjamin
Payne had four children, namely: Benjamin
F. ; Eliza Betsey, wdio married Robert Ander-
son; Mary A., who never married ; and Lydia
who never married. Benjamin Payne died in
1856 and his wife in 1845.

John Payne, father of our subject, taught
school during his early manhood, prior to set-
tling down to farming. He was reared in the
Presbyterian Church, but after his marriage-
he became identified with the M. E. Church
and was very prominent in its work. He was
always a man of high standing in his commu-
nity and possessed many sturdy traits of char-
acter. After a long and useful life he died in
1899, at the age of eighty-one 3'ears. He mar-
ried Mary Eshelman, born in Lancaster county,
and they had three children: Benjamin Ful-
ton ; John W. ; and Charlotte, who married
Abraham Leister, of Maryland.

Benjamin Fulton Payne was born in De-
cember, 1845, ill Delaware county, Ohio, with-
in six miles of the city of Delaware. He was
educated in the schools of Lancaster county.
Pa., and Carroll county, Md., and he continued
to work the home farm, at the age of
forty years purchasing the property. He
made farming his business until 1903, when
he was appointed to the responsible office of
deputv revenue collector of the Fifth Division
of the Ninth District of Pennsylvania, and the
duties pertaining to this office have since
claimed his entire attention.

In 1880 Mr. Payne was married to Marthr?
E. Roop. of Carroll county, ]\Id., and they have
had three children, viz. : Hilary, who died in
August, 1903 ; Annie E., who is the wife of
Dr. D. C. [Martin ; and John \\'ilber, of Hope-
well township. The religious membership of
the family is with the Presbyterian Church.

Mr. Payne has always been closely identi-



712



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PEXXSYLVANIA



fied with the Repuljlican party. His ancestors
were strong Whigs, but later became just as
closely affiliated with the Republican party.
He has held numerous offices, filling the vari-
ous duties with the capacity only possible to a
man of his high character and unquestioned in-
tegrity. His fraternal relations are with the
Free Masons and the Knights of Pythias.

JOSEPH ANDERSON, whose success as
. a faVmer is attested by his fine, well improved
farm of 159 acres, in ^^lonaghan township,
York county, which he has been operating since
1882. was born Feb. 17, 1840, in that township,
son of William N. and Mary (Wiley) An-
derson.

The founder of the family in America was
, Rennix Anderson, an Irishman by birth, who
farmed for many years in Cumberland county.
and later in York county, where he founded
Andersontown. His son, Alexander Ander-
son, the grandfather of our subject, was also
a farmer, who, with his father, moved from
Cumberland county to York county, and was
a very prosperous man. He married and be-
came the father of James, John, Samuel, Rob-
ert, Joseph and William. Alexander Ander-
son was a Whig in politics. He and his wife
died wdien our subject was a child.

William Anderson, the father of our sub-
ject, was born in Cumberland county, but later
moved to York county. He was educated in
the schools of York county,, and early in life
engaged in farming. He came into possession
of the farm now owned by his son, our sub-
ject, through his father-in-law, Michael Wiley,
who had purchased it from a Mr. May. Here
he and his wife lived until a few years before
his death, when they moved to Lisburn, Cum-
berland county, and there he died. His chil-
dren were: Sarah, Caroline, Joseph, George,
Jane, William, Emma. In religion he was a
member of the Church of God, having joined
that faith in 1842. In politics he was an ac-
tive member of the Republican party, and
served as a school trustee. His death occurred
in 1882, at the age of seventy-two years, and
his wife died in 1883 in her seventy-third year.
Joseph Anderson has always li\'ed on the
old home farm, 1>uying it after his father's
death from the heirs of the estate. Mr. An-
derson has been a very successful farmer, and
under his management many improvements
have been made. He has recent! \' suffered



from a paralytic stroke, and is enduring his
affliction with Christian fortitude. Mr. An-
derson is one of the leading and substantial
citizens of his neighborhood, and is. a worthy
representative of a fine old family.

In 1866 Mr. Anderson married Mary
Boak, daughter of Lewis Boak, a native of
York county. Four children have been born
to this union, namely, Ira, Harry, Jennie and
Edith. Mr. Anderson's political sympathies
are with the Republican party, but from pref-
erence he has kept out of politics, declining to
serve in almost all of the local offices. In
religion he is a consistent member of the
Church of God in which he has been an official
for about twenty-five years.

EDWIN F. HIVELY, one of the leading
business men of York, Pa., who is very promi-
nent in the building and contracting line, with
which he has been identified here for the past
twelve years, was born NovL 30, 1862, in
Spring Garden (now Springetsbury) township,
York county, son of George S. and Lydia Ann
(Strickler)'Hively.

The father of our subject was a son of
Samuel Hively. He was a farmer all his life,
and died at the age of forty-three years, and
was survived until four years later, by his
widow. They had these children : Edwin F. ;
Bird W., a grocer in York; Albert, wdio died
in infancy; and Annie J., wife of Joseph Al-
many, of Springetsbury township.

Edwin F. Hively was educated in the
schools of his native township, and in 1882
started to learn a self-supporting trade, making
choice of that of mason, and entering the em-
ploy of W. H. Sipe. After he finished his ap-
prenticeship he worked as a journeyman until
1892, when he began contracting and building
on his own account. That he was thoroughly
competent is proved by his work, and by the
position he fills at present, that of the leading
man in his line in York county. Some of his
completed jobs are: The Norway Steel plant;
the York Haven Water and Power Company's
plant; the Art Factory; the Morton Manufact-
uring Plant: the York Carriage Plant; the
New Freedom Wire Cloth Works; the Mt.
Wolf Furniture Factory; the York Cold Stor-
age Plant: and the York Candy Company's
Plant. In addition to these large enterprises,
Mr. Hively builds from forty to fifty dwell-
ings a vear, and keeps a force of fifty work-



BIOGRAPHICAL



713



men einplo3-ed. The fine stone church at
Spring Grove, in this county, is his work, as
is also the beautiful gate lodge at Prospect Hill
cemetery. Mr. Hively was also contractor of
the lime kilns of the York Valley Lime Co.,
and also contractor of lime kilns for S. O.
]\Iiller, Thomasville, Pennsylvania.

Mr. Hively is one of the substantial citi-
zens of York. He owns his own comfortable
home, and has a number of other dwellings in
course of erection on his own property.

In 1883 Mr. Hively was married to Alice
J. Ferree, daughter of Samuel C. Ferree, of
Hellam township, and they have a family of
nine children, namely: George S., who mar-
ried Flora Wilt, is a silk weaver and resides
at York; Erwin C, a silk weaver; Emma E.,
at home; William N., engineer for his father;
and Edwin F., Florence C, Dora I., Charles
A. and Katie JNI. Mr. Hively has done well
by his children, giving them educational
chances and setting an excellent example to
them. lie is a member of the Lutheran
Church, while his wife belongs to the United
Brethren. In politics he is a Democrat. He
belongs to Zeredatha Lodge, F. &. A. ]M.,
No. 451: A. O. K. of M. C; Jr. O. U.
A. I\I., Sikes Council, Xo. 182; and York Con-
clave, Xo. 124, I. O. H.

FREDRICK MILLER, a well-known res-
ident of York, is one of the old and trusted em-
ployees of the building and contracting firm of
Billmyer & Small. He was born in Yoi"k
Jan. 2"]. 1847, "^"^^ son of George Miller.

George Miller was born in Baiern, Ger-
many, and came to America in his early man-
hood, settling first in Baltimore, whence he
came to York, where he was employed as a day
laborer. He died in York at the age of eighty-
five years, in 1895. George Miller married
Julia Koline, who died in 1895, at the age of
se\-enty-seven years, and both she and her hus-
band were buried at Prospect Hill cemetery, in
York county. They had these children : Bar-
bara, the wife of Albertus Craft, lives in York;
John, who married a Miss Boxwell, lives in
A'irginia, where he carried on coachsmithing;
Fredrick is our subject; Annie, deceased, was
the wife of John Smith ; Elizabeth became the
second wife of John Smith (a molder by trade)
and they live on East South street, York.

Fredrick Miller attended the common
schools of York until thirteen vears of age,



when he learned the trade of carpenter with
Charles Schatzberger, of Freystown, with
whom he remained four years, the last year
of that time working as a journeyman. In
1867 he engaged with Billmyer & Small, in the
car shops, where for ten years he was fore-
man. He is still in the employ of that firm,
being employed at the sash and door factory.
Mr. Miller is a skilled mechanic, and being a
man of good judgment is very valuable to his
employers.

In 1893 ^'-'-''- Miller was united in marriage
with Lizzie Loose, a daughter of Charles Al-
bert and Caroline Loose, of Baltimore, ]\Id.,
and to this union these children have been
Ixirn : M'arie C, who died at the age of se\'en
months ; George E. ; Rieda V. ; Albert Dewey,
who died young; Barbara E. ; Herbert Fred-
rick and Lester W.

Mr. Miller is a Republican in politics. He
is a faithful member of the Reformed Church,
to which his family also belong. The home
in which Mr. Miller and his family reside was
built by his father, and was one of the first
to be put up in the community. Mr. Miller
purchased the home, which is located at X'o.
42 East South street, in 1896.

JESSE SCHWARTZ (deceased) was one
of the substantial farmers of Jackson township,
where his whole life was spent. He was born
]\Iarch 17, 1842, a son of Henr}^ and Catherine
(Geiselman) Schwartz. Both parents were
natives of York county, born in 1800, and were
descended from good old German ancestry.
Henry Schwartz was a farmer and carpenter
and followed those occupations all his life. In
religion he and his wife were of the Lutheran
faith. In politics he was a lifelong Democrat,
but never an officeholder or active along those
lines. His death occurred May 14, 1872, while
his wife reached the age of eighty-four years.
Their children were Detrich, Henry, Harriet,
Isaac and Jesse.

Jesse Schwartz was born on the homestead
where his widow still resides and was edu-
cated in the township schools. He lived at
home, working on shares with his father until
the latter's death, and then purchased the
homestead, a valuable property of 100 acres,
which he improved and cultivated until the
time of his own demise.

Mr. Schwartz was married in 1867 to Cath-
erine, daughter of Andrew Hershev, and sister



714



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



oi Burgess Hershey, of Spring Grove. Ten
children were born to this union, eight of whom
are hving, viz. : one that died in infancy un-
named; Janeta; Andrew A.; Harry Hershey;
Maggie H. ; Alberta, who died when three
years old; Jesse Franklin; Paul Alvin ; Amy
Kate, and Edwin Guy.

Mr. Schwartz's death occurred Oct. 27,
1897, and he was buried in Christ Lutheran
cemetery, in Jackson township. His demise
was deeply mourned by a large circle of ac-
quaintances, who sincerely admired and re-
spected his many good qualities. He and his
wife belonged to the Lutheran Church, and he
was a deacon for fifteen years, an elder for
a number of years, and served on the building
committee of that organization. In politics he
was a Democrat, but never took any active
part in such matters, as he found that the suc-
cessful management of his farm absorbed his
entire attention.

EDWARD L. GROVE, a highly respected
citizen of East Hopewell township, was born
in what is now Hopewell township^ at the Sam-
uel Liggett Mill, Jan. 31, 1863, son of Charles
Grove, and grandson of John Grove.

John Grove was a farmer of Hopewell
township, where he spent his active life, and
where he died. He was twice married, and by
his first wife had children as follows : Simon,
who died in Fawn township, married a lady of
Glen Rock; Henry went West and died there;
married a Clemens of Fawn town-
ship, and is still a resident there. John Grove
had two children by his second wife, a Miss
Mary Shiery, the grandmother of our subject :
Charles; and Susan, who married George Mc-
Fettridge of York.

Charles Grove was born in East Hopewell
township in 1834, and there received a com-
mon school education. He learned the carpen-
ter's trade. Mr. Grove married Margaret
Gemmill, daughter of James and Susannah
Mary (Grimm) Gemmill, and after marriage
they located on a farm near Gatchellville, Fawn
township, where they resided for years, five
years also being spent in Fulton county, Pa.
After returning to York county Mr. Grove
located on a farm near Stewartstown, and then
rented several years, removing from town to
town. He has lived retired in Stewartstown
for twenty years. During the Civil war Mr.
Grove served three years, and contracted dis-



ease from which he suffered greatly in after
life. His children were : Ellen, Mrs. Wil-
liam McGinniss of Baltimore county, Md. ; Ed-
ward L. ; James Calvin, of Hanover, who mar-
ried Miss Maggie Becker; Ruth, who married
Dr. Frank Norris, of Airville; Susanna, Mrs.
Samuel Bose, of Stewartstown; George W., of
the State of Washington ; William, a resident
of Illinois ; and Estella May, who has charge
of the Music Department of the Norristown
Hospital, Norristown, Pennsylvania.

Edward L. Grove was educated in the pub-
lic schools of East Hopewell township, and the
Fulton county schools, later going to the
schools of Baltimore county, Md. He left
school at the age of nineteen years, and began
work with the wrecking crew of the N. C. rail-
road, following this occupation for eleven
months, at the end of which time he was em-
ployed in the ore mines at Hanover for one
year. He then went to the blacksmith's trade
with an uncle, Jacob Hild, with whom he re-
mained three years, and then started in busi-
ness on his own account in Hopewell township,
near Zion Church, remaining there for over
two years. At the end of that time he located
at Dolf, where he purchased property and
erected a home, shop, barn and other build-
ings.

Mr. Grove was married in Baltimore coun-
ty. Md., Jan. 18, 1888, to Laura C. Tyson,
daughter of Sampson and Sophronia (Scar-
borough) Tyson, and to this union have been
born : Allen S., Edward Raymond and Ben-
son Chester. Mr. Grove has been a mem-
ber of the M. E. Church since his eighteenth
year. He is a stanch Republican.

JAMES McCURDY, whose death oc-
curred May 21, 1901, was one of the well-
known and prosperous farmers and black-
smiths of York county, located on a fine farm
of sixty acres in Monaghan township. He was
born in Monaghan township, Feb. 11, 1830,
son of Alexander and Nancy McCurdy, who
were of Scotch-Irish parentage, but Penn-
sylvania born.

Alexander McCurdy settled in Monaghan
township at an early day. He was considered
a wealthy man, and at one time owned two fine
farms, but he signed notes for unscrupulous
persons who claimed to be his friends, and he
lost practically everything he possessed. He
died in Monaghan township, as did also his



BIOGRAPHICAL



715



wife, and they were the parents of these chil-
dren : John, Thomas, Alexander, Daniel, Jen-
nie, Margaret, Martha and James. In religion
he was a Presbyterian, while he was connected
in politics with the Repnblican party.

James McCurdy was educated in the com-
mon schools of Monaghan township, and while
a young man learned the blacksmith's trade,
which he followed his entire life with the ex-
ception of a short period spent in farming prior
to his death. He owned a farm of sixty acres,
which is now owned and occupied by his wife.
Mr. McCurdy married in 1866, Miss Mary
Hartman, born Nov. 11, i844_, in York county,
the estimable daughter of Andrew Hartman,
and these children were born to them : Abra-
ham L., Anna M., James A., Margaret E.,
Bertha A. and Daniel H.

The late Mr. McCurdy was a member of
the Presbyterian Church, in which Mrs. Mc-
Curdy still retains membership. He was a
Republican, in politics, but never accepted pub-
lic office. He was a survivor of the great Civil
war, having enlisted in a Pennsylvania volun-
teer infantry company, and had received a pen-
sion from the government for his three years
service. Mr. McCurdy was a man of the
highest integrity, and held the esteem of all
who knew him. He also possessed more than
the average business ability, and in every re-
lation of life, w"as a man whom it will be hard
to replace.

WILLIAM H. YOUNG, a farmer of
Windsor township, belongs to an old family
of York county, W'here several generations be-
fore him have lived and died.

Jacob Young, grandfather of William H.,
passed his whole life in York township, and
there died. He married Miss Catharine Krout,
who also died there on their farm, and
they had children : Henry ; Jacob, who
died in York township ; Catherine, Mrs. An-
drew Kern, living at Red Lion ; and Granville,
of York, who died in February, 1905.

Henry Young' was born on his father's
farm, Dec. 10, 1827, and was reared to farm
life, as were his sons after him. He worked
for his father until he became of age, after
that farming for himself. He married Miss
Eliza Marks, born near York in 1828, who is
still living, at the age of seventy-six. Mr.
Young died in 1897, at the age of sixty-nine.
Both husband and wife belonged to the Re-



formed Church. In politics he was a Demo-
crat. There were four children born to them :
William H. ; Aaron, of York; Charles C, of
York township; and Adam, of East York.
Mrs. Young, like most of the mothers of that
day, not only made all the clothes worn by her
children, but also spun and wove the very ma-
terial herself. Many were the hours she spent
spinning the flax, and her son, William, as a
child, also learned to spin from watching her
at the old spinning wheel.

William H. Young was born in York town-
ship, Aug. 6, 1856, and attended the schools
of that township for his earlier education.
When he was thirteen years old his father
moved to North Hopewell township, where the
boy continued his schooling until he reached
the age of eighteen. Until he was twenty-one
his father could claim his services, and he
worked for him until that time, generally at
home, though after he was fourteen he w-as
hired out to neighbors. His first wages were
six dollars a month and board, the money all
going to his father. On reaching his majority
he started out for himself, worked two years
for Isaac Fitz and three for Henry Blosser,
and then married and began farming on his
own account in Windsor township, on the
George Fox farm, where he remained for six
years. In March, 1887, he moved to the M.
B. Spahr farm of 124 acres, where he is still
living, and he has since bought a place of
thirty-one and a half acres adjoining.

On March 18, 1880, Mr. Young was united
in marriage to Miss Sarah J. Weitcamp.
daughter of Herman Weitcamp. To their
union six children have been born, namely:
Albert (married to Miss Martha Huist), Ed-
win, Annie, Carrie, Perry and Mayme, all at
home. Mr. Young was at first a Republican,
but has since changed his views and now sup-
ports the Democrats. He is keenly interested
in public afl'airs, and has been on the school
board for some years, having been elected in
the spring of 1899 for a three years' term and
again in 1902 for a like term. He is a member
of the Freysville Reformed Church, and has
been chosen elder. He is a. man of great
strength of character, who has won his own
way in life, and is regarded with much respect
by all who know him.

JOHN E. WEITZEL, one of York coun-
ty's representative men, has been prominentlv



7i6



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



identified widi the business and financial in-
terests of Hellam for a number of years. Mr.
Weitzel was born Feb. 24, 1828, in Hellam
township.

The name of this family was originally
spelled ^\'etzel, three Wetzel brothers — John,
Mark and Harry — coming from Switzer-
land to the New World long before the Revolu-
tionary war. They settled in what is now
AA'est Virginia, among the Indians, with whom
there was constant warfare, in which one of
the brothers was killed. The brothers were
wood cutters, and followed the business of
charcoal burning, a trade which their descend-
ants also followed, around the Colebrook fur-
naces. John W^eitzel, the father of our sub-
ject, was born at Colebrook, Pa., and learned
woodcutting. He received but a meagre edu-
cation, his time being engaged in hard work.



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 136 of 201)