Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 138 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 138 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


township, where he died at the age of eighty-
four years. He married Henrietta Newhouse,
who died aged but thirty-six years. They both
were buried at \A'interstown. Their children
were: John N., Michael F.. Joseph M., Conrad,
Andrew, Maria, [Maggie, Laura and Sarah.

John N. Zeigler, the father of William H.,
was born in Hopewell township, where he at-
tended the local schools and then learned the
carpenter's trade. He followed this trade for
about six years, and then turned his attention
to milling, following that for ten years, when



his health failed, and he went to farming.
After four years devoted to agricultural pur-
suits he resumed milling, buying a mill prop-
ert}' in Hopewell township, where he also had a
cider and hominy mill in operation. He was a
man of business capacity and enterprise, and
in connection with his other interests he was a
successful merchant. He died in middle life,
when fifty-six years of age, and he was
laid to rest at Winterstown. He is recalled
as a man of much ability and his loss was not
only felt by his family but by the whole com-
munity. John N. Zeigler married Leah
Strayer, daughter of John and Elizabeth
(Grim) Strayer. Her father, known as "Lan-
caster County John Strayer," was born in
Hopewell township, but moved to Lancaster
county and followed farming near Mt. Joy,
for a number of years, finally returning, how-
ever, to the homestead in Hopewell township.
They had issue as follows : Henry, Wesley,
William, Benjamin, Mary, Leah, Elizabeth
(deceased) and Susan (of Kansas). To Mr.
and ]\Irs. Zeigler were born : William Henry ;
M. Frank, who operates the rural mail de-
livery out of New Freedom, and who married
Mary Wilson; John M., clerking in New Free-
dom, and residing at home; ^Maggie, wife of
Leo Miller, of Hopewell township ; and Sadie,
wife of Isaac Gill, of Shrewsburj^

William Henry Zeigler was educated in
the schools of Hopewell township, and when
his schooling- was completed he went into the
mill and worked at milling in the same town-
ship for about eight years. At the end of that
time he turned his attention to agxiculture and
farmed the V. K. Keesey farm at New Free-
dom for about six years, an I then accepted a
position with the Standard Oil Company, at
New Freedom. He remained in the employ
of that great corporation for three and a half
years, when he became interested' in the New
Freedom Sewing Compau}-, becoming one of
the stockholders, a member of the board of
directors, and has been made manager and
treasurer of the company. This company has
one of the large industries of this section. It
is capitalized at $10,000, and has a large plant
here. The factory is 50 by 100 feet in dimen-
sions, and is equipped with all the latest im-
proved machinery and appliances. Employ-
ment is given to seventy-five hands and the
daih^ output of completed garments is 100
dozen shirts. The sole line is the manufacture



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



of men's and boy's shirts and the factory is
taxed to its highest capacity ah the time. The
large brick building, one' of the largest of its
kind in the country, was equipped with elec-
tricity in 1892. since when tliat has supplied
all the power.

Mr. Zeigler has a xevy pleasant home here
and a happy domestic circle. He married
Lydia M. Zellars, a daughter of Daniel Zellars,
an old resident of Hopewell township, and they
have three children : Erna, Irene and Beatrice.
In politics Mr. Zeigler is a Democrat, and for
years has taken a very active part in public
matters in this locality. For the past seven
years he has served as a justice of the peace, for
six years was in the council and secretary of
the board, for six years served as secretary
of the board of school directors and has served
in other positions where a man of responsibil-
ity and integrity was needed. His services as
conveyancer have been frequently called into
requisition. On. a number of occasions he has
been sent as a delegate to political conven-
tions. He is one of the active and liberal mem-
bers of the United Evangelical Church. In all
ways Mr. Zeigler may be considered a repre-
sentative citizen of liis community.

SI ]MON PETER KLINEYOUNG, a sub-
stantial and representative agriculturist of
York county, operating a fine tract of 1 14 acres
of land in East Hopewell township, was born
in Qianceford township, at Shenk's Ferry,
Aug. 20, 1844.

Gustavus Klineyoung was born in Ger-
many, came to America, and settled at Shenk's
Ferry, where he first engaged as a pilot on log
rafts on the Susquehanna river. He followed
this occupation for several years and then en-
gaged in farming. He married Elizabeth
Tome, a sister of Jacob Tome. Jacob Tome
started life a poor boy. He tended bar at
Marietta, and engaged in the lumber business
there, later removing to Port Deposit, Cecil
Co., Md., becoming that county's wealthiest
man ; he was greatly interested in banking, and
was prominently identified with all the great
business enterprises of the section. Mr. Kline-
young's mother died at Shenk's Ferry when
he was a small boy. Gusta^'us Klineyoung
married (second) Catherine Tome, a second
sister of Jacob Tome. Mr. Klineyoung and
his wife died at Shenk's Ferry, he being in his
sixty-seventh vear. They were Methodists in



religious faith, and he was a Democrat in
politics. The children of Gustavus Kline-
young and his first wife were: Ann Elizabeth,
JNIrs. Thomas Smith of Red Lion, Pa. ; Simon
Peter ; and two or three who died in infancy.
One child was born to the second union, Ade-
line, a resident of Red Lion.

Simon Peter Klineyoung" attended school
from the time he was six years old. He was
reared a farmer boy and stayed with his father
until the latter's death. After their father's
death our subject and his sister kept house.
Mr. Klineyoung in 1884 removing to his
present place, of 114 acres, part of the
John R. Prall farm, which was purchased by
Jacob Tome, and presented by him to our sub-
ject. Mr. Klineyoung carries on general
farming and raises good crops. He was reared
in the faith of the M. E. Church, which he at-
tends at Shenk's Ferry. In politics he is a
Democrat.

Mr. Klineyoung married, in Airville, in
1876, Miss Hettie Mehaffey, of York Furnace,
and to this union have been born : Christi Le-
Fevre, of Harrisburg, a fireman on the Penn-
sylvania R. R., married Emma Lutz ; Gustavus,
a fireman on the Pennsylvania R. R., resides at
Harrisburg, and married Carrie Heffner ;
Maude M. is Mrs. Curney Gemmill of the town-
ship of East Hopewell; Adeline Ellen is at
home; Howard Clayton: Walter ]\Iontreville :
Harry Reisinger; Catherine Viola; Elsie Irene;
and Williarti Grier and Roy died in childhood.

EMANUEL FALKLER, a cigar manu-
facturer in Windsor township, was born July
5, i860. John Falkler, his father, was born
in Germany in 1824, and emigrated to Amer-
ica in early manhood. He was a day laborer
all his life. He married Miss EHzabeth
Heindle, who was bom in York county in
1 83 1, daughter of John Heindle. Mr. Falkler
w^as killed in 1865 by a falling tree, and his
widow afterward married Peter Kelley, who is
also deceased. She is now living with a daugh-
ter in Dover, about seventy-five years of age.

Emanuel Falkler was left an orphan at the
age of five, and a year later he was taken into
the family of Henry E. Sechrist, of Windsor
township, where he remained twelve years. He
attended the township school, his first teacher
being David Maish, and his last Joel Kauff-
man. He learned to make cigars under Mr.
Sechrist, and afterward was employed by him



BIOGRAPHICAL



7^?,



for two years. In 1880 Mr. Falkler was mar-
ried t(5 Mary Jane Olewiler, who was born at
New Bridgeville, daughter of Henry G. and
Leah ( Waughtel) Olewiler. Her father was
born in Lower Chanceford township, was a
farmer all his life, and is now residing in
L(jwer Windsor township, aged sixty-seven.
After his marriage Mr. Falkler remained in
Lower Windsor township for two years mak-
ing cigars at Bittersville, and then purchased
his present property of forty acres, which was
then owned by different parties. There he has
been engaged in the manufacture of cigars for
the past twenty-three years. At first his home
was the old stone house built on the place fifty
years ago by the late William Heller, of Hel-
1am, but in 1891, Mt. Falkler built the resi-
dence in which he has since lived.

To Emanuel and Mary J. Falkler eight
children have been born as follows: Bert A.,
born in 1881, who married Miss Jennie Abel,
and lives at Mountville, Lancaster county ;
Harry C., born March 17, 1883, at home;
Flora and Margie, who both died in infancy ;
Arthur, born Aug. 30, 1886; Clarence, April
21. i88g; Ivan, Sept. 27, 1891 ; and Edith
May, May 13, 1893. Mr. and Mrs. Falkler
are both workers in the Evangelical Church,
but are not members. Mr. Falkler is a stanch
Democrat, and he cast his first vote for Grover
Cle\'eland. He is a public-spirited citizen, a
successful business man, and one whom his
friends and neighbors all esteem highly. He
belongs to several fraternal orders, being a
member of York Lodge, No. 47, I. O. O. F.,
also of the Encampment and of ^^'ashing•ton
Lodge, P. O. S. of A.

DAVID G. DEARDORFF, proprietor of
a livery stable in York, owner of several
farms, and with interests in both local busi-
ness concerns and in Colorado mining prop-
erties, stands as a marked example of what
may be achieved by intelligent and undeviating
attention to one's work in life.

Mr. Deardorff was born in Washington
township, York county, June 11, 185 1, son of
David and Margaret (Giese) Deardorff, and
is of German ancestry. The early years of
his life were spent on his father's farm and
until he was seventeen he attended the public
schools. At that ag-e he began teaching, but
followed that profession for only five terms,
AN'hen he turned his attention to farming and



stock-raising. He also served two terms of
five years eAch as justice of the peace of Wash-
ington township. In 1881 he commenced the
tanning business in his native township, but
after a two years" trial removed to York and
opened a livery stable on Mason alley near
the courthouse. He made a very modest be-
ginning, having only two horses, two buggies,
a spring wagon and one sleigh. But he ap-
plied himself zealously to his business, did his
own work at first, and took advantage of every
device that would improve his stable, so that
his patronage gradually but steadily increased.
His stock now comprises five hearses (two
white and three black), eighteen closed car-
riages, three large picnic wagons and a full line
of top buggies. His teams are often in de-
mand for weddings, while by far the mo.st of
the calls for funeral carriages come to him,
his twenty years in the business, all in all. hav-
ing been marked by a most remarkable ad-
vance.

The other business interests of Mr. Dear-
dorff are both many and varied. He owns
three farms, which he conducts personally,
two located in Washington township and the
other in Jackson. On the latter he has a cus-
tom chopping-mill, while much of the other
farms consists of blue grass land, where an-
nually graze large herds of cattle and horses.
These horses he buys and fattens for the
eastern market ; he also fattens a large number
of hogs ; and in all these ventures he has been
very successful financially. In addition to his
farming properties, Mr. Deardorff owns seven
residence lots in York, and is a stockholder
in several of the leading business enterprises
of the city, while he has always taken a lead-
ing part in the promotion of every project
for the public advantage. He is also ex-
tensively interested in mining stocks in
Colorado.

Not only in business affairs, but in social
organizations as well, is Mir. Deardorff promi-
nent. Lodge work has always appealed to him,
and he is an active member of the B. P. O. E.,
York Lodge, No. 213; of the I. O. O. F.,
Flarmonia Lodge, No. 187: of the K. of G.
E., White Rose Castle, No. 182; and of the
Heptasophs, Keystone Conclave, No. 12, while
he is also an enthusiastic member and the treas-
urer of the York City Gunning Club. Mr.
Deardorff is a great lover of sports, is a
special enthusiast in the hunting of large game.



r-4



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY. PENNSYLVANIA



and makes annual trips to favorite ground in
Maine or the Rockies, besides gomg yearly
to North and South Carolina for quail and
duck.

In 1871 Mr. Deardorff was married to
Miss Sarah E. Grove, a native of York coun-
ty, and they have had five children. The only
daughter. Bertha, died at the age of seven.
Harvey G., the oldest son, is now in business
in Vineland, N. J., but previous to the spring
of 1903 was located in Philadelphia where he
carried on a cigar store and manufactory.
He is now operating a lumber yard and planing
mill and carries on an extensive business,
since he purchases large tracts of timber both
for cutting and marketing. His wife was
formerly Miss Susanna Givens, of York. The
second son, Kurvin C, was educated in York,
and is still at home. Although a jeweler by
trade, he is now engaged as bookkeeper in
the offices of the York Gas Company. Arthur
E. Deardorff, also educated in York, assists
his father in his business ; he was married, in
1 90 1, to Miss Sadie Heckler, daughter of
George Heckler, and they had two sons, George
D. and Lloyd C. (deceased). The fourth and
j-oungest son. George, formerly a bookkeeper
in a dry-goods store, in Denver, Colo., and
later employed in a similar capacity in the York
County National Bank, at York, died March
3, 1905-

HENRY S. TYSON. The fcamder of the
Tyson family in America was Benjamin Tyson,
who emigrated from England and became a
permanent settler of the Buckeye State. He
was a man of mighty stature, towering six
feet four inches, and was one of the courtly
gentlemen of that day. He was the father of
two daughters and one son.

Henry Tyson, son of Benjamin, was born
and reared in Ohio. When a young man he
moved to York county, Pa., where he bought
a farm in North Codorus township, living
thereon for the balance of his days. In con-
nection with his farming he did some vet-
erinary work. In politics he was an old-line
Whig, devoting himself to the cause of the
colored race and assisting many slaves to es-
cape to Canada. He was a member of the
Lutheran Church. Mti'. Tyson reached the ad-
vanced age of eighty-one years. His wife was
a Miss Susanna Shultz, a native of York coun-
ty, who lived to be eighty-six. She was a



daughter of John Shultz, a farmer of York
county who came from Germany. The chil-
dren born to Henry and Susanna Tyson num-
bered ten, all reaching maturity, but only three
are now living. Joseph was a farmer and liotel
keeper in York county. Emanuel, a lifelong
farmer, now aged eighty-six, resides at Glen
Rock. Susanna married George AValter, a car-
penter of York county. Sallie became the wife
of Peter Bentz, a farmer of North Codorus
township. Elizabeth married x\braham Green-
wait, a "butcher in York. Henry S. is the sub-
ject of this sketch. Lydia is the widow of
John Raush, a farmer of Spring Garden town-
ship. John and Benjamin were twins ; the
former enlisted in the 87th Pa. Vol. Inf., served
three years as a dispatcher during the Civil
war, later re-enlisted under Gen. Custer, and
is supposed to have been massacred by the
Indians with his ill-fated command. Benja-
min also served three yeai's in the 87th Pa.
Vol. Inf., and after the expiration of his term,
v\ent to Gettysburg, Pa., married a Miss Read-
ing, of that city, and settled there permanently
as a butcher. Edwin, whose death occurred
at Philipsburg in 1900, had learned the butch-
er's trade in York under his brother-in-law,
Mr. Greenwalt, and then settled at Bellefonte,
where he followed that occupation for sixteen
years. Moving to Philipsburg, he passed the
remainder of his life, there, the last seven years
in retirement.

Henry S. Tyson was born Oct. 8, 1829,
and was reared on his father's farm. Although
he attended the district school, his education
was limited, and, to quote his own words, he
"graduated from the brier and stone field."
At the age of nineteen he went to York,
learned the carpenter's trade there under E. C.
Lowman and then, returning to North Codorus
township, built a sawmill which he operated
for two 3'ears. The next two years were spent
in the dry-goods business at Smyser's Station,
when he married and located at Hanover Junc-
tion. After spending some years on a small
farm there, he moved to his father-in-law's
homestead and for two years took charge of tlie
distillery which Mr. Hoke had conducted on
the place. Mr. Tyson's next location was in
Cumberland, where he superintended the Ege's
Forge farm about two years. Returning to
Mr. Hoke's farm in York, he burned lime there
for a time, and then for three years managed
the homestead of his widowed sister, j\Irs.



BIOGRAPHICAL



Rausli. The next se\'en years were spent as
superintendent of Small's ore bank, after which
he retin'oed to York and kept a livery stable
for a year. Two years were spent on Jacob
Brilling-er's farm in Spring Garden township;
the next period he was in charge of the York
City Hospital, was a short time manager of the
waterworks, and then was located for six
years on P. A. & S. Small's farm, operating
335 acres of land and feeding large herds of
cattle. Afterward for three years he super-
intended George Small's farm, at Grantley
Place, that tract consisting of 200 acres, and
finally returned to York to take up his abode
on property which he owns at No. 336 South
Duke street.

Mr. Tyson's marriage took place May 28,
1857, and his bride was Miss Leah Elizabeth
Hoke, who was born Alarch 9, 1834. To this
union only two children were born : Herman,
who died when one year old; and !Mary J.,
who married E. G. Quickie, employed at the
Spangler Manufacturing Works in York.
There are two granddaughters : Lillian, a stu-
dent at the Lutherville Seminary or Maryland
College ; and Mary Louise, who is in the York
public schools. Mr. Tyson is now a stanch,
active Republican, in his earlier days being an
old-line Whig.

Mrs. Tyson was a daughter of Herman
and Elizabeth (Free) Hoke, both now de-
ceased. Herman Hoke was born Oct. 9, 181 1,
the oldest of three sons, Herman. Emanuel and
John. The parents were John and Catherine
(Harmon) Hoke, natives, respectively, of
Adams county and of West ^Manchester town-
ship, York county, and the paternal grand-
father was Conrad Hoke, born in Germany.
Herman Hoke was married Sept. 19, 1832, to
!\Iiss Elizabeth Free, of Hopewell township,
and a family of seven children w'ere born to
them, as follows: Leah E., Mrs. Tyson; Adam
H., who married Miss Sarah Smyser, and died
March 17, 1901 ; Sarah A., Mrs. Noah Ness;
Catherine and Rebecca L., residing at the old
homestead ; Emma J., who married Samuel
Rutter, and died Oct. 28, 1901 ; and Mary A.,
deceased. Mr. Hoke passed away Dec. 20,
1891, while his wife ended her earthly pilgrim-
age July I, 1888, aged eighty years and eleven
months.

SAiMUE-L BARTON RUBY was born
IMarch 8, 184.9, '" Lower \\'indsor township, in



the house in which he now resides, and is a son
of Samuel and Catherine (^Schenberger) Ruby.
His father was likewise born in Lower Wind-
sor township, the year of his nativity being
1815, and the place of his birth the farm now
owned by Isaac Hinkle. He received a com-
mon-school education and passed his boyhood
days on the farm, while in his youth he learned
the blacksmith's trade, beginning his practical
apprenticeship when a mere child. He fol-
lowed his trade during the major portion of
his long and worthy life and ever commanded
the imqualified esteem of those who knew him
and appreciated his sterling character. He died
on his old homestead Dec. 15, 1865. In poli-
tics he was an old-line Whig, and later a stanch
Republican, taking an intelligent and unvary-
ing interest in the issues of the day and being
prominent in public affairs in his locality. In
the memorable campaign of 1841, when "Tip-
pecanoe and Tyler too" was the slogan of his
party, he enthusiastically participated in local
politics, being a skillful fifer and finding his
services as such in demand in connection with
the various demonstrations of the campaigns.
His fife is now in the possession of Samuel B.
Ruby and is a highly prized heirloom. Samuel
Ruby was also a captain in the militia of
Lower Windsor township, ha\-3ng been ap-
pointed to this office bj' the Governor. He and
his wife were devoted and prominent members
of the Evangelical Church, in w'nich he served
as class-leader and exhorter, also being an
active worker in the Sunday-school.

Catherine (Schenberger) Rudy, mother of
Samuel B., was born in Lower \\'indsor town-
ship ]\Iarch 9, 1 82 1, the farm on which she
was born having been in the vicinity of \\'ood-
stock Forge and in the localit}' known as Forge
Hill. She was a daughter of John Schen-
berger, who died just before her birth, a fact
which later brought into evidence a peculiar
custom of the early days : Persons came fre-
quently to secure hairs from her head, the be-
lief being that the use of a hair from the head
of a child who never saw its father would
prove eflicacious in curing the whooping-cough,
The maiden name of her mother was Ziegler.
The death of Mrs. Catherine Ruby was a de-
cided loss to her community, as she possessed
many strong and tender traits of womanly
character which earned for her general affec-
tion and esteem. Of her children we have the
following brief record : \\'illiam died in child-



725



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



hood; INIargaret is the wife of Daniel KUne,
of Adams county; Joseph A. married Sarah
Geist and they reside in the city of York, this
county; Samuel B. was the next in order of
l^irth ; John Wesley, who first married Anna
Dietz and after her death wedded Emma Emig,
is now a resident of California ; Emma died in
childhood ; Catherine Delilah is the wife of Al-
bert Bair of Adams county ; George A. like-
wise resides in that county and has been twice
married, the maiden name of his first wife be-
ing Sevilla ]\Iiller; Ida is the wife of John J.
Fry, of York.

' Daniel Ruby, grandfather of Samuel B.,
was one of the sterling and honored pioneers
of Lower Windsor township; his farm was
located near the present town of Wrights-
ville — the property now owned by Isaac
Hinkle. He was the father of seven children,
namely: Polly, John, George, Katy, Samuel,
Daniel and Peter.

Samuel B. Ruby was reared to maturity in
his native township, and his early educational
discipline was secured in school district No.
I — in what was commonly known as the Kline
school — where he continued his studies during
a portion of each year until he had attained
the age of sixteen. For the ensuing two years
he was employed in operating a stationary
engine at Ore Bank. York county. At the age
of eighteen he entered into partnership with
his brother Joseph A., running a blacksmith's
shop in Lower Windsor township, both having
learned the trade under the direction of their
honored father. Thereafter Samuel continued
to be actively engaged in his trade for nearly
a quarter of a century, or until 1890, when he
located on the Daniel Leber farm in Lower
Windsor township, where he was engaged in
agricultural pursuits for the following three
years. At the expiration of that period he re-
sumed his trade, returning to his old home
place, and having since conducted a general
blacksmithing business, giving special atten-
tion to coach and carriage building, and being
known as a very skillful and reliable workman
in the line to which he has devoted so many
years of his life.

Mr. Ruby is a loyal and public-spirited citi-
zen and has ever evinced an abiding interest
in all that has concerned the welfare of his
township and county, while he has been an
earnest champion of the principles of the Re-
publican party since attaining his legal ma-



jority, having cast his first Presidential vote
for Gen. U. S. Grant. He served one term
as assessor of Lower Windsor township, and
for nine consecutive years held the office of
school director, being first appointed to this
position to fill the unexpired term of John Ban-
croft, Sr., and having been retained in it by
successive re-elections. He also served as judge
of elections several years ago, and has since
been again called to that office. He and his
wife are prominent and valued members of



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 138 of 201)