Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 139 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 139 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the North Trinity United Evangelical Church,
in Lower Windsor township, and in that body
M'r. Ruby has served as trustee, steward, su-
perintendent of the. Sunday-school and as an
exhorter. He is a member of the directorate
of the Lower Windsor Fire Insurance Com-
pany, of which he is assistant secretary.

In the year 1872 Mr. Ruby was united in
marriage to Susan Anstine, who was born and
reared in Lower Windsor township, a daugh-
ter of John and Eliza (Kise) Anstine, and of
this union have been born three children name-
ly : Delia, who is the wife of Charles Warner,
of Hellam township ; Charles, who married
Matilda Kizer, and who resides in York ; and
Flora, who remains at home.

JESSE KNAUB, contractor and builder
in stone and brick, at York, was born in Spring
Garden township, York county, March 16,
1846, son of John Rnaub.

Jacob Knaub, his grandfather, was a native
of York county and was a school teacher by
profession, but engaged also in farming in
Spring Garden township. To him and his wife,
who before marriage was Elizabeth Bashore,
were born : Mrs. William Nisely, who died in
Spring Garden township ; Airs. 'Elizabeth
Bashore, who lives in York township at the
age of eighty-four years; Leah (deceased) who
was the wife of Christian Seiple; John, the
father of Jesse, and Jacob, of Perry Co., Penn-
sylvania.

John Knaub was born in- Spring Garden
township, in 1813, where he received a com-
mon school education and was reared to be
an agriculturist. He farmed in his native
township during his entire life, owning about
300 acres of land near Brillinger's Mill. He
married Sarah Zellers, both husband and wife
dying in 1891, within a few days of each other,
and being buried at Mount Zion cemetery in
Spring Garden township. They were mem-



BIOGRAPHICAL



727



l;ers of tlie Reformed Church in wliose
work they took an active part. In politics Mr.
Knaub was a Democrat, serving; on the elec-
tion board, and as township supervisor and tax
collector. The children born to this worthy
couple were as follows : Henry, who was killed
on the Northern Central railroad, at Reynold's
Alill, York county; Samuel, a farmer of J\lan-
chester township ; John, deceased ; Jesse ; ^Vil-
liam, a farmer of York township; Mary, who
died in Windsor township ; and Susanna, the
wife of Emanuel Bellinger living in York
township.

Jesse Knaub attended the district school of
Spring Garden township until sixteen years
of age, and assisted his father on the home
farm until 1868, when he married Sevilla Jane
Wilt, born in Conewago township, York coun-
ty, and daughter of George Wilt, a farmer.
After their marriage they resided for a few
years with Mr. Knaub's father, the j-oung hus-
band learning the stone and brick-mason's
trade which he has followed since 1871. In
1885 he built his present home, at No. 695 East
Philadelphia avenue, and among other build-
ings erected under his contract may be men-
tioned the plant of the York Manufacturing-
Company, the York Safe & Lock works and
reservoir at York, the construction of which
gave employment to a large force of skilled
workmen.

Three children have been born to Mr. and
Mrs. Knaub — Katie, Florence and one infant,
all of whom are deceased. He is a Democrat.
He is a valued member of the St. Mark's
Lutheran Church of York, and is highly es-
teemed as a man of honesty and integrity.

FREDERICK GERKENSMEYER, the
founder and one of the members of the firm
known as the Codorus Planing Mill Company,
has for over twenty-five years been a resi-
dent of the city of York, but all the earlier
part of his life was spent in Germany, where,
in 1852, he was born near the town of Bunde,
Prussia.

Philip Gerkensmeyer, father of Frederick,
left his native Germany, where he worked as
a day laborer. Thrice married, the only child
born of his first union was Frederick, our sub-
ject. The children born later were Mary,
Elizabeth, Annie, Louise and Frederick (2),
the last named being now in the shoe business
in Germany. The father died at the age of
seventv-five vears.



Frederick Gerkensme_\'er was educated in the
public schools of Germany, and after finishing
the required courses, began learning the car-
penter's trade. He was employed in one of the
largest plants in the world, wdiere thousands of
skilled workmen are regularly engaged. In
time the young man decided to try his fortunes
in America, and so left Germany, stopping en
route in London, England, where he remained
for a short stay. On June i, 1879, he landed
in New York, remaining in the city only from
morning to evening, and then proceeded to join
a friend at Columbia, Lancaster Co., Pa. After
a week there he located permanently at York.
He was employed at his trade by different con-
tractors and builders for many years, but
finally, in 1902, founded the Codorus Planing
Mill Company, in which he is a stockholder
and director. H. M.' Williams is the presi-
dent and Daniel Lauer, the secretary. The
company is located on West College and Stone
avenues, and does a thriving business as con-
tractors, builders and dealers in lumber.

In 1 88 1 Frederick Gerkensmeyer was
united in marriage with Elizabeth Lipper, a
daughter of Conrad and Catherine (Sultzer)
Lipper. She was born in Germany in 1854,
and came to America at the age of twenty,
landing at Baltimore, Md. Mr. and Mrs.
Gerkensmeyer are the parents of three chil-
dren, Elizabeth, Philip and Adolphus, and the
family reside in a handsome home, at No. 577
West College avenue, which was built in 1902.
Mr. Gerkensmeyer has also erected a number
of fine dwelling houses in the Ninth ward.
In political matters he is not active, but is a
supporter of the principles of the Democratic
party. In religion he is a member of St..
John's Lutheran Church, and for three years
served on the church council. Mr. Gerkens-
meyer is a man whose opinions and influence
command consideration, both in business and
church circles, and he is among the most highly
esteemed residents of the city.

SAMUEL S. SAIITH, a farmer and busi-
ness man of Windsor township, was born on
his father's farm in that section, Feb. 10, 1859.
son of Samuel and Maria (Tschopp) Smith.
The Smith family originated in England and
the first to come to America was the great-
grandfather, who located temporarily in York
county ; but later, as the family annals relate,
he moved west\\-ard, traveling on an old gray



728



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



horse who carried laoth him and his younger
son. The older son, Daniel, remained in Wind-
sor township, where he spent most of his life
farming, although he was a weaver by trade.
He married a Miss Schmuck, and they had a
large family, as follows : Polly, Mrs. Sampson
Emenheiser, the only surviving child; John,
who moved to Cumberland county in his youth ;
Jacob, who died in Hopewell township ;
]\Iichael, who died in Paradise, York county;
Catherine, Mrs. Benjamin Paules, of York
township; Daniel of Windsor township; Wil-
liam, of Clearfield county. Pa. ; and Samuel.
Both parents died in Windsor township. Mr.
Smith was a Democrat, as the word was ap-
plied in his day.

Samuel Smith was born in 1831, and was
given a common-school education. He learned
the carpenter's trade, but was occupied for the
most of his life in farming. He was always
interested in local politics ; was elected town-
ship supervisor, and in both local and national
afifairs supported the Democratic party. He
belonged to the United Brethren Church. His
wife was Maria Tschopp, born in Windsor
township in 1833, daughter of Peter and Cath-
erine fLevernight) Tschopp. Her father was
a farmer in that region, and there died. The
children born to Samuel and Maria Smith
were : Reuben, of Red Lion ; Franklin, of
Windsorville ; Samuel S. ; Rebecca Jane, who
died unmarried; and Amanda. Mrs. Edwin
Sprenkle, of Freysville. Samuel Smith passed
from this world in 1893. The estate which he
left was settled by his son Samuel S.

Samuel S. Smith was educated almost en-
tirely in the Windsorville school, but spent
one term in the Miller school in Windsor town-
ship. His first teacher was D. W. Maish, and
his last one, J. A. Miller. He left school when
he was nineteen, and for the next four years
worked on the farm, after which he was em-
ployed for two. years in similar work for John
Gable. He had learned carpentry, and his next
step was to establish himself in Windsorville
in that trade. He built a residence there, but
at the end of two years sold it and returned
to farming. He bought his present place of
seventeen acres, formerly owned by John
Gable, and gave most of his attention to it,
although he frequently did carpenter work and
for a period of four years was engaged in pack-
ing cigars for his uncle, S. L. Tschopp. He
has also carried on cigar making in a small



way since 1881. In 1900 he decided to go into
business and opened the store which he is still
conducting. He commenced with a good stock
and has been very successful in the enterprise.
He has recently built a handsome brick house
just west of his store, one of the finest homes
in the town.

AVlien twenty-four years old Mr. Smith
chose for his wife, Jane Knisley, who like him-
self was born in Windsor township. Her
father, William Knisley, who died in 1902, was
a prominent farmer ; her mother whose maiden
name was Spatz, now makes her home in Yoe,
with her son Reuben. Mr. and Mrs. Smith,
who were married in September, 1882, became
the parents of six children, namely : Perry Al-
vin, who was born Jan. 13, 1884. but did not
live; Sainie I., born April 14, 1885, now Mrs.
Harry Creek, of Windsorville; Ernest C,
born Oct. 26, 1887; Raymond H:, born March
2, 1896; Preston Miles, born Jan. 13, 1901,
who died in infancy; and Charles Clair, born
Nov. 5, 1902.

Mr. Smith has always been an ardent
Democrat, and a man keenly interested in pub-
lic affairs. He cast his first presidential vote
for Gen. Hancock, and has voted for every
Democratic candidate for the office since. He
has always done what he could for his party,
but is not at all a professional politician. In
1890 he was elected township assessor for three
years, and, in the spring' of 1904, was chosen
for a three years" term as school director. In
religion he has been a member of the United
Brethren Church since his twenty-fourth year;
has served as Sunday-school superintendent
for sixteen years, and as trustee for twelve.
His life has been consistent with his profes-
sions, for his career has been one of invariable
integrity, both in private and public life, and
he has shown himself an official in whom the
greatest confidence might be reposed. He had
no capital to begin with, but has won his way
to prominence by honest industry, and he is
held in the highest respect and esteem by all.

HENRY BAKER was born in Windsor
township, on his father's old mill property.
May 2, 1849, son of Peter and Margaret
(Miller) Baker.

Peter Baker was born near Berlin, Ger-
many, and was reared and educated in his na-
tive place. After leaving school he followed
distilling, which trade he had learned. He



BIOGRAPHICAL



729



was united in marriage to Margaret Miller,
also a native of the same locality as her hus-
band. In 1836 Mr. and Mrs. Baker sailed from
Bremen to Baltimore, on the vessel "Felix,"
the voyage taking ninetj' days, as the ship was
delayed by an accident. After landing in the
United States, the parents came direct to York,
whence the}- .removed to Windsor township,
where the husband engaged in day labor and
rented a little home. By careful saving" Mr.
Baker was enabled to buy a tract of five acres
of land, and by working- for other farmers ac-
cumulated enough to make other purchases un-
til his farm finally comprised twenty-five acres.
He farmed his property until 1871, when he
sold it and located at Lancaster, where he
passed the remainder of his days, dying in
1891, aged eighty-four years, his wife having
died in 1873, being then in her fifty-ninth year.
In religion this good couple were Lutherans.
Mr. Baker was a Democrat. Of the children
bom to him and his wife the eldest died in
Germany ; David, a market master of York,
who mnrried iMary Reichley ; Peter, an agricul-
turist of Windsor township, married (first)
to Susanna Emenheiser, and (second) to Mrs.
Amanda (Dilling-er) Herr; Margaret, who
married (first) Joshua Oberdorf, and (sec-
ond) Benjamin Craley; Levi, a farmer of
Windsor township, who married (first) Annie
Schofi^. and (second) Ellen M'cKenzie; Henry;
Ang-eline, who married John Chillas, of Lower
Windsor township; Matilda, .who died unmar-
ried ; and Reuben, who died in infancy.

Henry Baker attended the common school
which was located one and one-half miles from
his old home, his first teacher being Reuben
Hengst, and later he had William Keech. The
latter was very strict a man of violent
temper and his willingness to use the switch
caused the boy to leave school at the age of
fourteen years, thereby being deprived of a
learning that he would have readily acquired
under a kinder master. After leaving school
Mr. Baker worked one year in an ore bank
near Hellam station, receiving $1.35 per day,
which wages were collected by his father.
After leaving the ore bank Mr. Baker worked
at dift'erent occupations, and at the age of six-
teen years was employed by David Leber, a
tanner, receiving for his labor $12.50 per
month. Henry remained with Mr. Leber for
three years, and while with him learned the
tanner's trade, continuing thus employed until



he was nineteen years of age. Mr. Baker was
married at the age of twenty, removing then
to Columbia, where for ten years he worked for
Henry Hollinger. He owned a home in that
place, which he sold for $1,000, this money
constituting the first payment on his present
farm, Mr. Baker going into debt for the greater
portion of the property; but by hard work and
perseverance, and with the aid of the money
inherited from his father, he cleared his farm
from all indebtedness. He has now eighty-
six acres (having added to the original pur-
chase), and his land is fertile and productive
of good crops. About 1886 Mr. Baker erected
a new residence, and since then has remodeled
the barn, and built a summer house, a spring
house, a bake oven and a smoke house. In
1901 he erected one of the most complete
tobacco sheds in the county, it being furnished
with a fine cellar and stripping room. The
posts in the curing room are detachable and
may be removed with the rails upon which the
tobacco is hung, thereby converting the shed
into a fine barn. It is certainly a very con-
venient device, the plans of which were ex-
ecuted by Mr. Baker himself.

In York, in 1869, Mr. Baker was married
to Mary Klinestever, born in Germany, daugh-
ter of George and Katrina (Garrick) Kline-
stever, natives of Germany, now deceased.
Mrs. Baker's parents came to America when
she was but three years old, and settled at
Chestnut Hill, Lancaster county, where the
father worked in an ore bank, and later re-
moved to York county. The following chil-
dren have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Henry
Baker : Milton, a resident of Miller, above
York, was married to Clara McCoy: Reuben
died at the age of seventeen years ; Harry, a
farmer of Lower Windsor township, married
Ida Kinard ; and Minnie, who married ]\Ioses
Olewiler, resides in Lower Windsor township,
where her husband is a farmer.

While Mr. Baker is a member of no re-
ligious denomination, he subscribes liberally to
all church movements in the locality. His wife
is a valued member of the Lutheran Church,
to which his family also belong. In politics
Mr. Baker is a steadfast Democrat, but has
never consented to hold public ofiice, preferring
to devote his time and abilities to the cultiva-
tion of his farm, and the raising of good crops.
Mr. Baker has the reputation in the commun-
ity of being a man of honestv and progress.



730



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANL\



and liis knowledge of matters agricultural is
conceded to be far above the average.

EjMAXUEL HERMAN comes of one of
the good old families of this county. His
great-grandfather, Emanuel Herman, born
]\Iay I, 1745. died ]May 25, 1796, and
his Avife Catherine, •who was born March
2, 1754, passed away March 12, 1833.
They were the parents of these children :
Adam, born Nov. 18, 1775, died July 9, 1814;
Mary, born Nov. 5, 1778, married Emanuel
Smyser, and died March 16, 1814; Sallie, born
Aug. 7, 1781 ; Christian, born June 7, 1783,
died Aug. 15, 1843; Emanuel, born Nov. 18,
1785 (married March 11, 181 6, Leah Laucks,
who died Dec. 14, 1847), c^i^d July 2, 1851;
Jacob, the grandfather of our subject, born
Feb. 24, 1788, died March 13, 1872; Cath-
erine, born Dec. 13. 1789 (married Herman
Hoke), died March 12, 1833; and Sarah, born
March 11, 1792 (married Daniel Smyser),
died Dec. 26, 1868.

On April 13, 181 5, Jacob Herman, the
grandfather, was married to Sarah Laucks,
who was born May 15, 1796, and died Dec.
26, 1868. Jacob Herman was reared in West
Manchester township on the old homestead,
learning the tanner's trade, but early in life
commenced farming there. This homestead
contained several hundred acres, and here he
followed agricultural pursuits until his retire-
ment from active life, when he located in York,
the place of his death. He was one of the
public-spirited men of the county, and his ad-
A'ice was sought by many in the community,
as he was a man of rare judgment and di'scern-
ment. Li York he was identified with many
of the banking institutions of his day, being- for
many years a director in the York National
Bank and generally very prominent in finan-
cial circles. He was originally a Whig and
afterward active in the ranks of the Republi-
can party, but he never sought public office.
He and his wife were members of the Lutheran
Church. They had a family, as follows : Adam,
born Jan. 26. 1816, died March 30, 1888;
Sarah, born June 19, 182 1, married Daniel
Smyser, Nov. 25, 1841, and Margaret Cath-
erine, born Dec. 9, 1826, married Jacob H.
Shetter, Oct. 18, 1849.

Adam Herman, the father of Emanuel,
was born and reared on the Flerman home-
stead, where he remained throughout life,



operating the farm during his acti\e years,
and after his retirement superintended the
farm, and burned lime. He was active in local
politics, and a member of the school board,
as well as a director in the York National
Bank. He was a stanch Republican, and in
religion he and his wife were connected with
the Lutheran Church, in which he was a mem-
ber of the official board. Adam Herman was
married Nov. 25, 1841, to Miss Catherine
Eyster, who was born March 6. 1822, a
daughter of Michael and Catherine (Spangler)
Eyster. Mrs. Herman died Feb. 18, 1878, be-
ing the mother of five children : Charles An-
drew, born Sept. 16, 1843 (married Amanda
Hake, still living), was a farmer and proprietor
of a large livery in York, and died Dec. 30,
1903; Emanuel, born June 28, 1844; Sarah
Ann, born Feb. 16, 1846, married Edward
Gladfelter, of Spring Grove, York county;
Jacob, born June 22, 1849, is a farmer and
stock-dealer of West Manchester; and Wil-
liam H., born June 28, 1859, resides on a part
of the old homestead in West Manchester
township.

Emanuel Herman was born on the old
homestead, in West Manchester township, of
which he is the owner of 125 acres, and there
he has spent most of his life. He also carried
on the lime-burning industry. After his re-
tirement from active life, in 1880, he super-
intended the work on the farm for twelve years,
also operating a sand bank. Mr. Herman is a
Republican, but has never sought office. He
is a member of the Lutheran Church, and has
served on its official board.

Mr. Herman married Miss Amanda
Loucks who was born in Springetsbury town-
shiy, in 1842, daughter of Daniel and Eliza
( Diehl ) Loucks. To this union were born the
following children : William J., born May 8,
1 87 1, a member of the firm which controls the
York Shoe Manufacturing Company, of
York ; and Luther D.

Luther D. Herman, the senior member of
Herman & Smith, operators of the Star laun-
dry, was born in York county, Aug. 22, 1873.
Tie was educated in York, and when eighteen
years of age learned the trade of a machinist,
which he followed for six years. He then
entered the employ of the Standard Oil Com-
pany, as assistant manager of this section and
held the position for two years. The partner-
ship was then formed with Mr. Smith, and



BIOGRAPHICAL



they established the Star laundry in which they
have continued with success ever since. Luther
D. Herman is a member of the Jr. O. U. A.
M., No. 505 ; the I. O. O. F., No. 47 ; the Royal
Arcanum, No. 2091, Codorus Council; B. P.
O. E., York Lodge, No. 213. He is a mem-
ber of the Bachelor Club of York, and of the
Royal Fire Company. His religious connec-
tion is with St. Paul's Lutheran Church.

CLAYTON J. HEINDEL. It is fitting
that in this compilation be incorporated a trib-
ute to the memory of Mr. Heindel, who
passed his entire life in York county and
who was summorted into eternal rest in the
very prime of his young manhood. He had
proved himself a loyal and public-spirited citi-
zen, being prominent and influential in local
affairs; was successful as a farmer and stock-
grower; and was signally true and faithful in
all the relations of life, imbued with the spirit
of unswerving integrity and tolerant and kind-
ly in his attitude to his fellow-men.

Clayton J. Heindel was born on the old
homestead in Hellam township, York county,
June 15, 1861, son of Edward and Elizabeth
(Sprenkle) Heindel. His father was a suc-
cessful farmer and blacksmith in Hellam town-
ship, where he died a few years ago, having
been one of the well known and honored citi-
zens of the county. The mother is still living
with her son in Hellam township. The fam-
ily name has been linked with the annals of
that section of the Keystone State ever since
the early pioneer days, and Mr. Heindel was
related, through intermarriages, to a number
of the oldest and most prominent families of
York county. He was the eldest of six chil-
dren, the others being as follows : EHen, who
died at the age of twenty-one years ; Milton,
who is a successful farmer of Hellam town-
ship; Flora, who became the wife of Amos
Grimm, and who died- in that township;
Bertha, who died at the age of fifteen years ;
and Elmer, who is likewise a prosperous
farmer of Hellam township.

Clayton J. Heindel secured his early edu-
cational discipline in the public schools of his
native township, and early manifested a dis-
tinctive predilection for study and the reading
of good literature. It was his wish at one
time to become a teacher )3ut he followed the
course of duty and gave his attention rather
to assisting in the work and management of



the several farm properties owned by his
father, while in the meantime he continued
his studies for one or more terms in the pub-
lic schools in the city of York. At the age
of seventeen years, in company with his sister
Ellen, he came to Lower Windsor township
and there took charge of a farm owned by his
father. The property comprises 125 acres, a
portion of which was then covered with the
native timber^ and he manifested much dis-
crimination and ability in pushing forward the
work of developing, improving- and cultivating
the farm, erecting a barn and other good build-
ings, and making the place a model in its evi-
dences of thrift and prosperity. He in-
herited this farm from his father's es-
tate, and continued to make it his home
until he was summoned from the scene
of life's endeavors. He was one of the most
progressive, energetic and substantial farmers
of that section and his well directed efforts
were attended with a full measure of success.
He was a radical and uncompromising Repub-
lican and an active worker in the local ranks
of the party. He was for many years a school
director, and was largely concerned in bring-
ing about the rebuilding of the schoolhouse in
Yorkana. He was a member of the director-
ate of the Home Fire Insurance Co., of Lower
Windsor township, and genial and whole-
souled, was a man who won friends wherever
he went, while he never failed to retain the
esteem and good will of those with whom he
was associated in either a business or social
way. He ever manifested a high appreciation
of the spiritual verities and Aug. 25, 1898.
just one month before his death, he was bap-
tized in the faith of the Reformed Church, of



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 139 of 201)