Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 14 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 14 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ate Institute. His first business venture was
in the mercantile line, as a member of the firm
of McConkey Brothers. A stronger attraction,
however, was that of the service of the Pullman
Car Company, and for a number of years he
was one of their most faithful employees, re-
ceiving promotion until he had become assis-
tant superintendent at Philadelphia.

Senator McConkey's marriage in 1891 to
Annie, daughter of David Strickler, of York,
changed the course of his business life and
made him a resident of York. Mr. Strickler
was secretary' and treasurer of the Farmers'
Fire Insurance Company of York, and Mr.
McConkey, becoming interested in the com-
pany, succeeded to Mr. Strickler's office at his
death, in 1900. He is also interested in the
York National Bank, being a director of that
strong financial institution, and is also on the
directorate of the York Water Company, the
York Gas Company and the Guardian Trust
Company.

The Senator's grandfather was one of the
leaders of the Whig party in York county. His
father, originally a Whig, in 1856 became one
of the founders of the Republican party in
York county and was always actively inter-
ested in public affairs. From his honored
father and grandfather Senator McConkey in-
herited strong" intellectual endowments and
learned by training and association to advocate
and support the same political policy and prin-
ciples as his ancestors. He always voted the
Republican ticket, but not until 1902 did he
take an active part in politics. It was during
that year that the Republican party of York
county invited him to accept the nomination for
.State Senator. Although the county had pre-
viously sent a Democratic representative to
the State Senate since the organization of the
Republican party, Mr. McConkey accepted the
nomination. An active and vigorous campaign
followed, in which he was one of the chief par-
ticipants. It resulted in his election by a hand-
some majority. He served with credit in the
State Senate, taking a prominent part in all
the deliberations of that body. His active ex-
perience in the business and financial aft'airs of
York had eminently fitted him for this position
and he performed his duties with entire satis-
faction to his constituents, serving on the com-
mittees on Banks and Building and Loan As-
sociations, Judiciary, Education, Appropria-




K/\r\y^^^-Cr-^



^



BIOGRAPHICAL



69



lions. Street Railway, and others equally prom-
inent. He also performed important duties at
tlie extra sessions of the Legislature held in
1906, and at the close of the session received
a personal letter of congratulations for his in-
teilir;-ent efforts from Gov. Pennypacker.

Mr. and Mrs. McConkey, together with their
two daughters, Mary Elizabeth and Hannah
H., reside in a delightful home on East Marker
street, York. They are prominent in the social
life of York, and he is a member of Riverside
Lodge of Masons, the Country Club, the Order
of Elks, and the Bachelors Club He is also
a member and has served as president of the
Laf.'ivette Club, one of the leading social organ-
izations of York.

During the Revolution William McCon-
key, a brother of Senator McConkey's great-
grandfather, resided in Pennsylvania above
Trenton, near the Delaware river. On the
night of Dec. 25, 1776, before he crossed the
Delaware and won the decisive battle of Tren-
ton, Gen. Washington stopped at the McCon-
key mansion with his intimate friend, William
McConkey. According to the newspapers, last
winter the Washington Society of Trenton, N.
J., crossed the Delaware river at the same spot
as Washirfgton.

JOHN H. YEAGLEY, M. D. This is a
familiar and honored name, dating far back in
the history of Pennsylvania. The bearer of
the name, John H. Yeagley, has for many
years gone in and out before the people of
York in the busy life of a practicing physician,
and has ever evidenced a disposition to sacri-
fice his own comfort in order to ameliorate the
sufferings of others. He comes of a family of
practitioners and is well and favorably known
as a physician. He was born in Johnstown,
Pa., in 1852. His grandfather, Henry Yeag-
ley, was a well known farmer of Fayette coun-
ty, this state, and his father was Dr. Henry
Yeagley, for many years a prominent practi-
tioner of Lancaster, Pa. He formerly practiced
medicine in Johnstown, Pa., and in Berlin and
Waterloo, Canada. Referring to Dr. Henry
Yeagley, who was a very eminent practitioner,
a well known medical journal says :

"Among the honored names of early and
successful eclectic medical men of recent times,
that of Dr. Henry Yeagley is worthy of a con-



spicuous place. The popularity of eclecticism
now, in the section of country where he labored
in its interests, is an evidence of the successful
manner in which he discharged the duties of
a reformer. Thus, it will be seen, he was one
of the pioneers in disseminating the principles
of liberal ideas in the medical world. It must
be remembered that when he began to practice,
in 1848, the dominant school was using calo-
mel, and blood letting ad libitum — until re-
cently familiar to all with memories dating
back that far. This irrational treatment has
long since been abolished and the credit of
this and many other reforms is largely due to
the commanding influence of the homeopathic
and eclectic schools of medicine." Dr. Henry
Yeagley died in Lancaster, May 2, 1902. He
married Miss Sarah Dibert, a daughter of John
Dibert, a merchant and tanner of Johnstown,
Pa. Their family numbered five children, as
follows: John H., now of Y'ork; Lizzie, wife
of John Shaub, a shoe merchant of Lancaster;
Dibert Lincoln, a farmer and stock-raiser of
Kansas ; Rella. wife of Finley H. Torrence,
city clerk of the department of public works in
Pittsburg; and Dr. James M., of Lancaster.

Dr. John H. Yeagley, of York, was edu-
cated at University College, in Cobourg, Can-
ada, and at Hahnemann Medical College, Phil-
adelphia. He graduated at the latter insti-
tution in 1878 and at once took up the practice
of medicine in York, where he has since con-
ducted a large practice. On April 20, 1892,
the Doctor was united in marriage to Rebecca
Elizabeth Buckingham, a daughter of John
W. Buckingham, a retired merchant of York.
Three children were born of this union: Re-
becca Buckingham, Henry and John Dibert
Yeagley.

Dr. Yeagley is ex-president of the Goodno
Homeopathic Society and holds high rank
among the members of his profession. He has
been the pioneer in York in the use of the
X-Rays and electricity, being equipped with the
latest and best in the scientific world, and it is
not strange, therefore, that his practice is a
ven.' large one, for, like his lamented father,
he has always occupied advanced ground in the
pursuit of his learned and honored profession.

As a member of the First M. E. Church he
is a well known worker, and brings into his



70



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



every-day life the precepts set forth by his
church. For many years as a member of the
board of trustees he has worked for its best
welfare and upbuilding. He has given to this
cause not only of his time and labors, but most
liberally of his means.

HENRY A. EBERT belongs on both sides
of the family to stock that dates farther back
than the Revolution, and is identified with
Pennsylvania's early history, while his wife's
lineage is equally ancient.

The Ebert family was originally German,
and the first American ancestor, Michael, came
from Wurtemberg about 1742, and settled in
York county, where he took up 600 ot 700
acres of land along the Codorus. The popular
Highland Park was a part of this tract. Alar-
tin Ebert, son of Michael, secured the best
portion of his father's possessions, by purchase,
and in the next generation the old homestead
descended to Adam, who spent most of his life
there, but finally retired to York and there
died.

Henry Ebert, son of Adam and father of
Henry A., was the next in line. He lived in
the old home in Manchester township where he
was born, for the greater part of his life, but
after giving active participation in agricultural
pursuits, he lived in York for a time. He soon
tired, however, of the new surroundings and
went back to his old home for the remaining
seventeen or eighteen years of his life, and
there passed away in 1884, aged seventy-five
years. Henry Ebert married Sarah Smyser,
daughter of Jacob Smyser, of West Manches-
ter. She traced her descent from the original
Smyser, who settled in York county, in 1735.
Henry and Sarah Ebert had five children : ( i )
The eldest, Charles A., died Jan. 16, 1904, in
Kansas City, Kansas, where he had moved
thirty years before, and become a successful
real estate dealer. (2) Anna Maria and (3)
Martin Luther make their home together on
West Market street. (4) Sarah Jane married
the late Rev. Charles C. Lanius, of the Mora-
vian Church. (5) Henry A.

Henry A. Ebert was born on the family
home.stead, Dec. 10, 1841. He received his
education in the public schools of York, in the
York City Academy and in Peiffer's College,
Oxford, Adams county. On entering busi-



ness life he chose a mercantile career, and for
fifteen years followed that line, but at the end
of that time retired from it to undertake the
management of his own property and that left
by his father, of which latter he and his broth-
er, Martin Luther, were trustees. On looking
into affairs, the brothers conceived the idea of
developing a portion of the tract into a suburb
of York, and at once proceeded to carry it into
execution. Beginning with but two houses,
the old Ebert mansion and a tenant's house, the
settlement grew rapidly until it numbered fully
200 dwellings and included a prominent man-
ufacturing plant. It was known as Eberton,
and became so important that a trolley line was
built to the suburb, which in turn increased its
growth until the region was formed into "West
York Boro." By the residents, however, and in
fact by people generally, it continues to be
called Eberton.

Mr. Ebert is very unostentatious and avoids
publicity as much as possible, but he, neverthe-
less, is known better to the York public as a
whole than most of the citizens. He is a Re-
publican in his political belief. Although he
has never been induced to seek or accept office,
he is a loyal supporter of his party ai^d always
ready to promote the real welfare of the com-
munity. He has belonged for many years to
the Union Lutheran Church, of York, and does
his utmost to further its efforts for the moral
uplifting of the city. He has been a faithful
worker in it, in various departments, serving
as elder for twenty-two years, treasurer of the
Sunday-school for thirty-five, and as a teacher
in the latter for forty years. He was also one
of the organizers of the Y. M. C. A. and was
for years on its board of managers.

On June 7, 1870, Mr. Ebert was united in
marriage to Miss Mary Sheller, daughter of
the late Dr. Adam Sheller, a prominent phy-
sician of Mt. Joy. Lancaster county. Three
children have been born to this union : Anna
Laura, at home, having completed her studies
in the Young Ladies' Seminary, of York, and
the Lutherville Seminary; Ella V., wife of J.
Wilbur Yeats, in Philadelphia; and Harry S.
The son is a prominent real estate agent, with
his office on Market street, is a' member of the
board of managers of the Y. M. C. A., a trustee
of the First Presbvterian Church and very ac-
tive in whatever field he is interested.



BIOGRAPHICAL



71



Mrs. Mai'y (Slieller) Ebert traces her an-
cestry to Major Abraham Scott, through his
grandson, Hugh Peden. Capt. (afterward
i^ieut. Col.) Hugh Peden fought at Brandy-
wine and Gerniantown, serving first as captain
of a company under Col. Lowrey, and later as
major in Col. Jacob Cook's battalion. He was
one of the "flying corps" of both Col. Gal-
braith's and Col. Lowrey's battalions. He
formed in 1775 the first company in Rapho
township, Lancaster county. Mrs. Ebert pos-
sesses quite a wealth of historical matter of
Revolutionary date, and among her interesting
relics is a bill rendered by Dr. Hand for pro-
fessional services. Dr. Hand afterward be-
came General Hand, and his old home in the
suburbs of Lancaster is a historical spot of
much interest. Mrs. Ebert is a member of the
D. A. R.. and might justly claim admission
to the Colonial Dames, as her ancestors, the
Scotts, came to America in 1730, and held
various offices under the Colonial government.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Ebert are zealous
church workers, though the latter is a member
of the First Presbyterian Church, instead of
the Lutheran, and does her share through its
agencies. She is a woman of beautiful Chris-
tian character, and is thoroughly in accord
with her husband's charitable and philan-
thropic enterprises.

WILLIAM S. BOND, treasurer of the
Weaver Organ & Piano Co., which conducts
one of the extensive and important industrial
enterprises of the county, is a native of York,
born in that city May 9, 1863, son of William
H. and Elizabeth (Slegel) Bond.

William H. Bond was born in Maryland,
of Scotch-Irish lineage, and came to York in
1861. Here he engaged in the grocery busi-
ness, with which he continued to be success-
fully identified for many years, being one of
the county's honored citizens. He was sum-
moned to his reward in 1893, at the age of
sixty-five years. His wife, whose father was a
prominent farmer of North Codorus township,
still resides in York. Their seven children
were : The first-born died in infancy ; Allen
died in 1890, at the age of thirty years; Will-
iam S. was the third ; Emma J. is the wife of
Dr. Chnrlps Lenhart, a successful veterinary
surgeon of Dover, this county ; Frank is en-



gaged in the general merchandise business in
the west end division of the city of York; Lu-
ther is constructing engineer for the York
Manuiacturing Co. ; and .Bertha E. is the wife
of John Rosenfeld, a traveling salesman of
York.

In the public schools of his native city
William S. Bond secured his early education,
and he later took a course of study in the Na-
tional Normal University, at Lebanon, Ohio,
after which he was for three terms a successful
teacher in the public schools of his native coun-
ty. Not desirmg to follow pedagogy as a vo-
cation, he became bookkeeper in the office of
the York Daily, retaining this position three
years, at the expiration of which he opened a
retail music store in York and built up a most
satisfactory business, in which he continued for
six years. He then sold out and in 1891 ac-
cepted the position of treasurer of the Weaver
Organ & Piano Co. Three .years later he was
also made secretary of the company, and he has
since given his entire time and attention to the
exacting duties of his dual office. The industry
is one of the most important in the city, the
output of the works being four hundred or-
gans and fifty pianos per -month, which repre-
sents a large increase in capacity, while the
capital stock has been increased from the origi-
nal thirty thousand dollars to the notable
amount of four hundred thousand. Of the im-
mense output of the Weaver establishment it
is pleasing to note that fully one thousand or-
gans are annually exported to Europe, South
Africa, New Zealand, and other foreign coun-
tries. Mr. Bond has been an important factor
in the building up of the great enterprise, which
has marked bearing on the general prestige
and material welfare of the city and county.
In addition to his association with this con-
cern Mr. Bond is also a member of the direc-
torate of the York Silk Manufacturing Co..
and he is known as a progressive and public-
spirited business man and loyal citizen. In
politics he gives his support to the Republican
party, and in 1901. for a term of four years,
was elected a member of the board of school
control of York, as representative of the
Ninth ward. He was elected for a second
term of four years by an increased majority
in 1905. In this office he has brought to bear
the same discrimination and executive power
which have conser\-ed the success of the busi-



72



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



ness entei'prises with which he is or has been
identified. After serving on other committees
for two years he was appointed chairman of
the Finance committee, which position he now
holds. Both he and his wife are zealous and
prominent members of the Union Lutheran
Church, and since 1 900 he has served most ac-
ceptably as superintendent of its Sunday-
school. Mr. Bond was one of the principal
supporters of the pastor, Rev. A. G. Fastnacht,
D. D., in the raising of $23,000 for the new
Sunday-school building which was dedicated in
June, 1900, and under his superintendency the
Union Lutheran has become one of the largest
and most successful Sunday-schools in the city
of York, as well as in the General Synod of the
Lutheran Church of the United States. The
membership has already almost doubled since
the beginning of his superintendency, now
numbering ovc 1000.

Mr. Bond ser\«ed six. years, from 1886 to
1892, as director of the Y. M. C. A., being
treasurer the last three years mentioned. He
is now a member of the board of trustees of
the same institution, having- served in that ca-
pacity since 1899.

On May 16, 1888, Mr. Bond was united
in marriage to Miss Sallie S. Loucks, who was
born and reared in this county, daughter of
the late Franklin Loucks, an honored and in-
fluential citizen of York, where he was long
engaged in the grain, flour and feed business,
while he was also a member of one of the
county's old and influential families. Of the
children of Mr. and Mrs. Bond, AValter was
a member of the class of 1905 in the York
high school, and is now taking a four years'
course in the Wharton School of Finance and
Commerce, of the University of Pennsylvania :
Urban is a member of the class of 1907: and
Mary and Anna are likewise attending the
public schools. The family home is a center
of gracious hospitality, and Mr. and Mrs. Bond
are Drominent in the social life of the com-
munity.

DANIEL K. TRIMMER, attornev-at-law,
and prominently engaged in the real estate busi-
ness at York and elsewhere, was born in Dover
township, York county, Sept. 10, 1846. His
parents were Daniel B. and Elizabeth (Kaufif-
man) Trimmer, and his ancestors on the pa-
ternal side were formerly residents of New



Jersey, but for the past five generations have
been identified with the life and interests of
York county, Pennsylvania.

The first of the family to settle in York
county was George Trimmer, who purchased a
large tract of land in Dover township. Wil-
liam Trimmer, great-grandson of the settler,
was an influential citizen in his day, and a lead-
ing Bishop of the German Baptist Church in
York county. His son, Daniel B. Trimmer, the
father of Daniel K. Trimmer, was born on the
homestead farm in Dover township, in 1809,
and died in 1873. Early in life he married
Elizabeth Kauffman, a representative of an
early Pennsjdvania family, prominent in York
and Lancaster counties, who died in 1 900. They
had eleven children, of whom are surviving:
William, of York ; Reuben, of Goshen, Ind. ;
Nancy, wife of George B. Stauffer, of Dills-
burg, York county; Elizabeth, wife of John R.
Altland, residing on the Trimmer homestead in
Dover township, which has been in the Trim-
mer name for five generations ; Alice, of York ;
and Daniel K. Both the parents were earnest
and devout members of the German Baptist
Church, to which their ancestors had belonged
for several generations. In politics the fathei
was a Whig and later a Republican.

At the age of ten years Daniel K. Trimmer
left the paternal home, growing to manhood
in the family of an aunt, who resided in West
M^anchester township, near the city of York.
He obtained his preliminary education in the
country schools, and at York County Academy
(of which he is now a trustee) , in each of which
he excelled as a student. At the age of eigh-
teen years he began the profession of teaching
in the township schools, and later taught a
grammar school at Middletown, Pa., and in
the city of York. During the last years of his
teaching he registered as a law student with
Hon. George W. Heiges, and was admitted to
the Bar of York county Oct. 23, 1874, and later
to the Superior and Supreme courts of Penn-
sylvania and the LTnited States District courts.
For two years he practiced his chosen pro-
fession at Hanover, and then removed to York,
where he has since resided, and where he has
been actively engaged as a lawyer and a, deal-
er in real estate, prospering in both lines. His
professional labors have been almost exclu-
sively devoted to the settlement of land titles
and trust estates, and to corporation work. He





J^ ,^^^y^^>n^4M^



BIOGRAPHICAL



73



has served as vice-president and solicitor for
the York Street Railway Company; was coun-
sel for the eastern extension of the Baltimore
& Harrisburg Railroad Company from the
time of its organization until 1900, when this
road became a part of the Wabash system ; has
been secretary and counsel for the York Hotel
Company, and has been 'dentitied with various
other corporations. He was the pioneer real
estate dealer of York, but his efforts in that
line are now confined to the management of his
own estate and looking after extensive land
deals in association with others. Besides his
real estate interests in York he has interests in
the city of Washington and at Fort Meyer
Heights, Va., on the v/est bank of the Potomac,
opposite the city of Washington. Within re-
cent years a large portion of his time has been
devoted to Orphans' court practice. During
the summer and fall of 1905 he joined with a
number of capitalists of Philadelphia in the
organization and incorporation of the Phila-
delphia Life Insurance Company, of which he
is the vice-president.

Being interested in the material progress
of the city of York, Mr. Trimmer became asso-
ciated with Capt. William H. Lanius in organ-
izing and advancing the interests of the West
End Improvement Company, which has de-
veloped in a remarkable degree the northwest-
ern section of the city. He has been a con-
spicuous figure in the material upbuilding of
the city of York, and is justly esteemed as such
in his community.

In politics Mr. Trimmer has advocated the
policy and supported the principles of the Re-
publican party. In 1878, owing to his activity
in electing the first Republican burgess of York,
he was chosen solicitor for the borough. He
served as chairman of the Republican County
Committee during the years 1879 ^"d 1884.
Throughout his life he has been an active
member of various social, benevolent and fra-
ternal orders. For many years he was devoted
to the interests of the Knights of Pythias; he
is a past grand of the I. O. O. F., and a past
Chief Patriarch of the Encampment : is a past
officer in the Order of Elks: and has taken a
high rank in the Masonic fraternity, being a
past master, past high priest and past command-
er. In the city of York he is a member of the
Lafayette Club and the Outdoor Club, and has
been active in promoting the interests of the



Historical Society of York County, of which
he is a charter member. He has also served
as vestryman in St. John's Protestant Epis-
copal Church, of which he is a member.

Mr. Trimmer was married in July, 1900, to
Miss Louise F. Dezendorf, daughter of Hon.
John F. Dezendorf, ex-member of Congress
from the State of Virginia. They have three
children, Daniel, Mary and Louise.

Jx\COB L. KUEHN is not only one of the
more prominent plumbers and house furnish-
ers of York, but is widely known in other con-
nections. His ancestors on one side, the
Laumasters, settled in America before the
Revolutionary War, some of them being
soldiers in that historic conflict. On the other
side Mr. Kuehn's forefathers, the Becks, had
a similar Revolutionary record.

Jacob Laumaster was a wagonmaker, and
later became well known as a bridge-builder,
the latter business being continued by his sons.
John Xuehn, the paternal grandfather of Jacob
L. Kuehn, came from Leipsic in 181 6, and
settled in York county. John Lewis Kuehn,
the father of Jacob L., was born in Cassel,
Germany, and accompanied his father to York.
He learned the trade of millwright with a
noted millwright, Peter Zorger, following that
occupation for several years, became a con-
tractor and carpenter and later engaged in mer-
cantile pursuits. He died in 1886, aged seven-



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 14 of 201)