Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 140 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 140 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


which his widow is a devoted member. His
death occurred Sept. 25, 1898, and the com-
munity felt a sense of personal berea\ement
and loss, while the burden of grief rested
heavily upon those to whom he had been near-
est and dearest in the sacred precincts of tlie
home, which was the center of his hopes and
aft'ections.

In the city of York, York county, March
23, 1884, Mr. Heindel was united in marriage
to Mary E. Seachrist, the nuptial ceremony
being performed by Rev. George W. Enders.
pastor of the Lutheran Church. Mrs. Heindel
was born and reared in that county, having
passed her childhood days in Spring Garden
township and the city of York and being fifteen



vz^



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



years of age at the time of her parents' re-
moval to Windsor township. She is a daugh-
ter of Adam and Matilda (Dammerthal) Sea-
christ, who still reside in Windsor township,
her father being a farmer. Concerning the
children of Mr. and Mrs. Heindel the
following brief record is offered : Harry-
Jacob was born Oct. ii, 1884; Oscar Edward,
born May 14, 1886, is learning the machinist's
trade in the works of the Farquhar Manufac-
turing Company, at York ; Norman Elmer was
born June 15, 1888; Mamie E., born June 3,
1890, died March 10, 1892; Walter W. was
boim Sept. 2, 1892; Claude James, born July
22, 1894, died March 18, 1895; Warren Ells-
worth and Robert Gideon were born Dec. 1 1 ,
189s; and Annie Kate, was born March 8,
1898.

WTLLIAM EDWARD WISE was born
on the farm adjoining the one he now owns
in Chanceford township, July 25, 1848.

Jacob Wise, his grandfather, settled on a
farm near the river in Chanceford township,
and died on the place now owned by George
Hough; it, adjoins W. E. Wise's farm on the
west, and was owned by Grandfather Jacob
Wise at the time of his death. It is not known
whether Jacob Wise was born in Germany, ii.
Lancaster councy, or near Philadelphia. He
was a soldier in the war of 1812, and to him
and his wife these children were born : George
died in Chanceford township ; John was ■ the
father of William E. ; Mary, who married
David Workinger, died in Chanceford town-
ship; and Katie, died in her youth. After the
death of his first wife, Jacob Wise married
Mary Nicoll, by whom he had Jacob and An-
drew, both sons dying in Chanceford town-
ship. Jacob Wise followed distilling in con-
nection with farming, finding a market for his
goods in Baltimore. In religion he was a Luth-
eran. In politics he was always connected with
the Democratic party.

John Wise was born in York county, and,
with his parents, lived about one mile from
the Susquehanna river, receiving an ordinary
education in German and English in the town-
ship schools. He married Margaret Work-
inger, a sister of the late Jesse Workinger (ex-
sheriff of York county) and daughter of Peter
Workinger, a farmer and miller of Hopewell
township. Mrs. Wise died in 1874, at the
age of sixty-five years. She had been a kind



and devoted mother, and a good Christian
woman, and her death was mourned not only
by her family, but by the entire community.
After his marriage John Wise settled on one
of his father's farms, which he worked on
shares for two years, and then purchased it.
There he died in 1887, aged eighty-two years.
He was a Lutheran as had 'been his wife. He
was a Democrat in political faith, but never
sought public office. The children born to Mr.
and Mrs. John Wise were as follows : Jacob
died in infancy; Margaret died young; Sarah
Ann married John Curran, of Chanceford
township; John A., deceased, married Mary
Ann Erb; Mary Elizabeth resides with Wif-
liam E., and William Edward.

William Edward Wise developed into man-
hood on the home farm in Chanceford town-
ship, and attended school from the age of six
years to sixteen. He spent most of this time in
Fairview school, his principal teacher having
been Sarah Bigler, sister of Dr. Bigler, and
the wife of Dr. B. F. Porter, of Brogueville.
Mr. 'Wise was reared a farmer's boy, and has
ever followed agricultural pursuits. He
bought his father's farm three years before the
latter's death, and has added to it, until now
he is the possessor of 165 acres of fine land, all
in a good state of cultivation. Mr. Wise has
never married. He was reared in the faith
of the Lutheran Church, and was formerly a
member of St. Luke's Lutheran Church. His
vote supports the Democratic party. Mr. Wise
has a number of financial interests, and since
its organization April 3, 1903, has been a di-
rector in the Farmers' & Merchants' Bank of
Red Lion.

George Wise, a cousin of William Edward
Wise, was. born near Collinsville, Chanceford
township, July 20, 1835, the only child of
George and Elizabeth (Runkle) Wise, both of
whom died in that township. George Wise,
the father of George, was born on the Wrights-
ville road, back of Brogueville, where he was
a farmer, and died a short time before our
subject was born. He married Elizabeth
Runkle, who became the wife of David Arnold
after Mr. Wise's death. Mr. Wise attended
the Murphy school until nineteen years of age,
being reared a farmer's boy by his grandfather,
John Runkle, a farmer of that section. There
were no reapers or binders in those days, the
first threshing machine being a four horse
power, lever machine. Mr. Wise worked with



BIOGRAPHICAL



733



a cradle and Dutch scythe and was considered
a very guod hand. He remained with his
grandfather until he was twenty-three years of
age, and then settled on a part of the old iarm
(jwned hy his grandfather, Jacob Wise, located
one mile from Brougeville near the Wrights-
ville road. There he remained for twelve
years, and then sold the property and bought
the tract of about lOO acres now owned by
\VilIiam Smeltser. This farm he worked un-
til eleven years ago, when, considering" that he
deserved a rest from his labors, Mr. Wise re-
tired from active life, selling his farm and
buying his present place which consists of fif-
teen acres. There he established a store, which
he has since continued. Mr. Wise has been
a life-long Democrat and has served as judge
of elections, as school director and as county
commissioner. He is a member of the Lu-
theran Church. In his younger days he had
been a member of the Evangelical association
and was largely instrumental in the building
of the church in the neighborhood. This edi-
fice was abandoned and later occupied by the
M. E. Church, of which Mr. Wise became a
member.

Mr. Wise married (first) Miss Sarah Run-
kle, by whom he had these children : Lucinda,
who married Samuel Miller, deceased; Mrs.
Edward Crusen ; John AA'estley, of Lancaster
county, and a fourth that died in infancy.
Mr. Wise's second wife was Sabina McCleary,
and his third, Susan E., widow of John Crusen.

WILLIAM JAMES DYER (deceased)
was born in York city, June 8, 1862, son of
Jesse C. and Louise (Young) Dyer.

Jesse C. Dyer died at his home on West
King street, York, from disease contracted in
military service, having been a member of
Company H, 200th P. V. I. His funeral was
a military one, as he had been a faithful and
loyal soldier. " His widow sur\'ived until Jan.
24, 1890, both now resting in the Prospect
Hill ceme'tery. They had these children :
George W., born July 16, 1853, ched June 6.
1880; John, born Jan. 7, 1856, resides in Bal-
timore; Annie M., born April 14, i860, was
the wife of Dr. Samuel Wiltbank, and died
Oct. 13, 1889; William James; and Mary L.,
born July 15, 1864, died June 6, 1868.

William James Dyer was educated in the
common schools of York and in the Sol-
diers' Orphans' School at White Hall, Cum-



berland county, where he remained until the
age of sixteen years. He then learned the
!-iakery business, in which he was engaged for
a nuir.ber of years, and then removea to Hobo-
iven,__N. J. For two years he served as a clerk
there, but returned to York, and in 1890 es-
tablished a grocery on the corner of Penn
street and College avenue. Here, by strict at-
tention to business and upright and honoraljle
dealing, he built up a large trade, and had a
longer life been granted him, would doubtless
have become one of the substantial men of the
city. His death occurred Sept. 23, 1898, and
his burial was in Prospect Hill cemetery. In
every way he was a good and worthy man, and
for years he was active in the M. E. Church, of
which his father and his family are also mem-
bers. Here Mr. Dyer was particularly missed,
as he had been superintendent of the Sunday-
school and was beloved by all who knew and
appreciated his services.

On jNIay 22, 1881, Mr. Dyer was married
to Isabella A., daughter of Michael and Caro-
line ( Golden) Spangler. The children were :
Mabel A., born March 17, 1882, who is a very
fine musician and a popular teacher of music
in York; Wilson E., born March 9, 1884, who
died July 4, 1887, aged three years, three
months and twenty-five days; Edna May, born
Sept. 25, 1888, now at home with her mother;
Pauline A., born in 1895, a school girl. Mrs.
Dyer continues the operation of her late hus-
band's store at the same location, being a
woman possessed of excellent business judg-
ment.

Mr. Dyer was a member of the I. O. O. F.,
the Knights of the Mystic Chain and of the
Sons of Veterans, of the last named having
been captain and judge advocate. He was a
kind, good, just man; one who will long be
remembered by a devoted family and many
warm friends.

JACOB F. BORTNER, while retired
from active life, is serving the borough of Win-
terstown as tax collector. The Bortner familv
comes from Germany, three brothers landing-
in America and settling in Codorus township,
York county. Pa., whence one went to Hope-
well township, same county, \\-here he died
aged ninety-six years, and another to Lan-
caster county, Pennsylvania.

Jacob Bortner, the grandfather of Jacob
F., was born in Hopewell township, where



734



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



thi'oughout life he was engaged in farming.
He -was married three times — first to Miss
Snyder, who became the grandfather of Jacob
F. ; his third wife was a Miss Hess.

John Bortner, the father, Avas born in
Hcpewell township in 1822, where lie reached
maturity on a farm. He learned the shoe-
maker's trade, but after marriage commenced
farming, purchasing the place now known as
the Engle farm in North Hopewell township,
upon which he died in 1871. He married Mar-
garet Fishel of Hopewell township, daughter
of Michael and Lydia (Hershner) Fishel, his
wdfe dying in 1903. Of the children of this
union, Mary married S. V. Reddiford, and
both died in Dallas, Texas ; Jacob F. ; William
is deceased; Wiley, of Baltimore, Md., mar-
ried a Miss Earhart; Belle died single; and
Frank is a resident of Darlington, Wiscon-
sin.

Jacob F. Bortner was born in Hopewell
township, Nov. 24, 1849, ^^'^^ attended the
common schools until he was sixteen years old.
He was reared on the home farm, upon which
he remained vmtil his seventeenth year, and
then for three years served an apprenticeship
at the blacksmith's trade under S. S. Shefifer,
afterward engaging in business lor himself,
and operating a shop for twenty-five years in
Winterstown borough. About 1897 he aban-
doned active work, since which time he has
lived retired. Mr. Bortner was reared in the
faith of the M. E. Church. In political prin-
ciples he is a stanch Republican, has served as
school director and on the town council, and at
present is acceptably discharging the duties of
a tax collector.

Mr. Bortner was married in North Hope-
well township, in 1871, to Harriet Snyder,
daughter of Joseph and Susan (Strayer) Sny-
der, and to this union have been born the fol-
lowing children : Cora, who was educated in
the public schools, the York County Normal
School and the Millersville State Normal
school, and was a teacher for twelve years in
Hopewell township and New Freedom, is
now the wife of Dr. James L. Yeagle of New
Freedom ; and Minnie, who is at home, was
■educated in the public schools, the York Coun-
ty Academy and the Shippensburg Normal
school, and is a graduate of Potts' Shorthand
College, of Williamsport, Pennsylvania.

HOWARD BOWER, who is engaged in
cultivatin"- his fine farm of 106 acres in New-



berry township, was born in Conewago town-
ship, Dec. 26, 1853, son of Henry and Mary
Jane (Keister) Bower. George Bower, his
great-grandfather, came from Germany and
settled in Newberry -township when a young
man, engaging in agricultural prirsuits until
his death. He was buried at the Cassel grave-
yard, near York Haven, in Newberry township.

George Bower, fhe grandfather of How-
ard, was born in Newberry township and was
a farmer and miller in Manchester township.
He married Eva Fink, and they both died in
Cone'wag'o township and are buried in the
Union cemetery at Manchester borough. The
children born to this couple were : John, a
farmer, died in 1847, ^^ Conewago township;
George died in Conewago township and was
buried at Manchester; Mary married Peter
Spahr, and died in Manchester, meeting her
death by drowning in a swollen stream ; Flenry,
was the father of Howard; William, a retired
farmer, lives .in Conewago township; Caro-
line married Abraham Reeser, and died in
Manchester borough; Mary, living in Man-
chester, married John Metzger; Jacob, a re-
tired wagon-maker, lives in Decatur, Illinois.

Henry Bower was born Oct. 14, 1820, in
Manchester township, where he received a
good education. He remained at home assist-
ing his fathei', until his marriage in 1848 to
Mary Jane Keister, daughter of Henry and
Tacey (Hart) Keister. After their marriage
Mr. and Mrs. Bower located in Conewago
township, where they remained for eight years,
and then bought the Henry Keister estate, a
farm of 106 acres of fine soil, upon which Mr.
Bower built a large stone residence and a sub-
stantial barn. The house is one which does
credit to the builder, the architect and the
community in which it stands. Until 1879
Mr. Bower was engaged in farming; in 1893
he removed to Newberry, where he lived re-
tired until his death, Aug. 2, 1897, at the age of
seventy-six years, nine months, nineteen days.
Mrs. Bower was born in 1827, and died May
7, 1900. They are interred in the Paddletown
cemetery, Newberry township. As an earnest
Democrat Henry Bower took a great interest
in his party's success. The children born to
these good people were : George, a farmer,
living in Fairview township, married a Miss
Miller; Sarah Jane married George Spahr, a
farmer of Newberry township; Howard is
mentioned below ; Maggie, married William
Eppley, a merchant of Newberry ; lela married



BIOGRAPHICAL



IZl



August Ruljy of New Cumberland, Cumber-
land cuunty ; Katie married John Baker, died
in Washington township, and is buried at
Paddletown ; Clara married Mills M. Hays, a
cigarmaker and farmer of Newberry; Eva re-
sides in ^Vashington, D. C. ; Mary married
George W. Myers, of Newberry.

Howard Bower attended the public schools
until about eighteen years of age, meantime as-
sisting his father at farming. In 1878 he mar-
ried Emma Gross, daughter of Daniel and
SaEah (Bruah) Gross, and they located on the
old home, which he bought at the time of
his father's death. Two bright boys — Roy 'and
George — have been born to this union, and
they are both attending school. Like his
father, Mr. Bower is a Democrat, and he has
been called upon to fill various offices, among
them those of auditor and inspector. He
spends most of his time on the farm and has
cultivated and improved it year by year until
now he has one of the fine properties of the
township.

GEORGE M. RYNICK, of York, is the
agent for the Mutual Life Insurance Company
of New York. His paternal ancestors came
from Germany, his maternal from Scotland.

Jacob Rynick, his great-grandfather, em-
igrated from Saxony, Germany, and fought
on the side of his adopted country in the war
of the Revolution.

John Rynick, son of Jacob, was a soldier
in the war of 1812-14. It is said that at one
time he owned all the land now known as the
Van Schriver estate at Philadelphia. He had
two sons : John, who married Anna Shuster,
daughter of Jacob Shuster, a soldier in the war
of 1812; and Jacob S., father of George M.

Jacob S. Rynick was a coffee roaster and
vinegar manufacturer at Norristown, Pa., and
died in 1879. He married Catharine Mc-
Cauley, who bore him fourteen children, of
whom Harriet, Maggie and Mary (twins),
Elwood and Clara are deceased. The living-
are : Anna, wife of Charles H. Bosset, oi
Philadelphia ; Belle, wife of O. K. Boyer, in
the service of the Pennsylvania Railroad Com-
pany; Lillian, wife of T. J. Sheppard Landis,
lithographer, at Rossville, N. Y. ; Alice, wife
of Charles F. Alsop, artist, at Rossville, N.
Y. ; Harry W., in the street car service in Wil-
mington, Del. : George M. ; and Ida, Ella and
Flora, at home.



George M. Rynick was born in Norristown,
Pa., Feb. 17, 1863, and received a good public
school education. In boyhood he became a
clerk in the Pencoyd Iron Works, at the end of
five years being promoted to the position of
order and receiving clerk. He remained with
that company until he was made general sec-
retary of the Norristown Y. M. C. A., a posi-
tion held one and one-half years, when he was
sent to fill a similar place at Mauch Chunk,
ser\-ing six years there, and finally spending
five and one-half years as general secretai-y
at York. He enjoyed this work and was very
popular with the Association but he felt he
must establish himself in some line of busi-
ness, and so tendered his resignation.

In June, 1901, Mr. Rynick became agent
for the New York Mutual Life Insuvance
Company, and has done very effective work
in the territory assigned to him.

On Feb. 27, 1888, Mr. Rynick was mar-
ried to Saidee K. Lancaster, daughter of ^Vil-
liam H. Lancaster, of Norristown. Two chil-
dren have been born to them : William J.
and George M., Jr. Mr. Rynick is a member
of the First Presbyterian Church at York, and
is a teacher in the Sunday-school. He was an
elder in the Presbyterian Church at Norris-
town when only twenty-three years old. His
fraternal relations are with York Lodge, No.
266, F. & A. M. He is a Democrat in poli-
tics.

WILLIAM ELLSWORTH EDIE. the
proprietor of Springvale farm, has spent his
whole life in Hopewell township, where he \vas
born March 12, 1863, on a farm lying close to
Stewartstown. His paternal g; rand father,
Hayes Edie, was a veteran of the Civil war,
and a resident of Hopewell township, where
he died on what is now called the Sykes farm.
During his lifetime he was a farmer, and also
followed the ti-ade of a carpenter. Twice mar-
ried, his children were all by his first wife,
the second still surviving him.

John R. Edie, father of William E.. was
born in Hopewell township, and as a farmer's
boy received the usual education oft'ered in the
public schools of that day. He married ]\Iiss
Sarah Sutton, daughter of Henry and Sarah
(Zeigler) Sutton, of Hopewell township, and
after his marriage rented farms for a time.
Then he and his brother, Arthur S., bought a
tract together, situated close to Stewartstown.



736



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Later Mr. Edie removed to the vicinity of
Waltmyer's Alill, and thence to Eiil-
ton county, Pa., three miles from Han-
cock, . Md. Buying a farm there he re-
mained seven years and then returned to
Stewartstown. Early in Hfe he had learned
carpentry and, after his last removal, he fol-
lowed that trade in connection with his farm-
ing. Mr. Edie's next location was on the farm
now known as the Samuel Waltemyer place,-
which he rented for a short period and then
moved to property which he owned on the
plank road, now in the possession of Dr. An-
derson. Mr. Edie built there and farmed for
five years, after which he settled in Stewarts-
town, where he resided until his death.

Mrs. Sarah S. Edie died in 1876, while the
family were living on the AValtemyer farm,
and her remains were laid to rest in the Stew-
artstown cemetetry, the first to be interred
there. Mrs. Edie and her husband were both
members of the M. P. Church. They were
the parents of the following children : Thomas
G., who married Miss Nettie Winters and
died in Stewartstown ; William E. ; Alberta B.,
Mrs. George W. Fulton, of East Hopewell
township; Margaret, Mrs. Jacob W) Bow-
man, of Hopewell township; Grace, unmar-
ried; and two who died in childhood. Mr.
Edie was married a second time and his widow
Mrs. Mary (Morris) Edie, still survives.

John R. Edie, as well as his brother, Ar-
thur S., enlisted in the army during the Civil
war. The former was in Company B, 209th
P. V. L, I St Brigade, 3d Division, 9th Army
Corps. His company officers were Capt. H.
W. Spangler and First Lieut. Hendrix. Af-
ter completing his first term of service Mr.
Edie again enlisted and was promoted to the
rank of sergeant. He saw much active service
and among other injuries was shot through
the shoulder. Like so many old soldiers Mr.
Edie was a strong Republican in his political
views.

William E. Edie attended the common
and Kurtz schools, in his native township, af-
terward studied in those of Fulton county, and
still later was in the Stewartstown institu-
tions, ending his student days when eighteen
years old. He early began to work in the
farming seasons and was only seven years old
when he hired out in Fulton county for $4
a month. He next worked for Dr. Free in
Stewartstown at $8 a month. Until he was



twenty-one he assisted his father, but after-
ward passed eight years in the employ of Eli
Zeigler. From Mr. Zeigler's place he re-
moved after his marriage to Harford county,
Md., where he rented a farm and operated it
for five years, after which he bought the
homestead upon which he has since resided.
It was called the Luther Hitchcock farm and
he purchased it at a sheriff's sale. It was
then much neglected, but Mr. Edie has made
improvements and transformed it into a pro-
ductive and profitable place. Consisting orig-
inally of ninety-six acres, he has added an ad-
joining five acres in Baltimore county, Mary-
land.

On Jan. 15, 1891, Mr. Edie was united
in marriage to Mary, daughter of William
Thompson, ex-register of deeds for York
county, now deceased. At the time of his
daughter's marriage Mr. Thompson was con-
ducting the "Lafayette Hotel" in York. The
children born to Mr. and Mrs. Edie are three
in number : Russell J., Margaret M. and
Harry A. The mother is a member of the M.
P. Church of Stewartstown, which her hus-
band also attends. Mr. Edie is an ardent Re-
publican, and serves as inspector of elections.
He has been successful in his farming opera-
tions, is one of the substantial men of the lo-
cality and stands high in the public esteem.

JAMES WISE was born in September,
1839, on the McCall farm in Lower Chance-
ford township, and attended the old Chance-
ford school. He lived with his father on the
old Stokes farm until after his marriage, when
he bought his present farm of 112 acres, which
had formerly belonged to his wife's mother,
and here he has carried on general farming
ever since.

On March 27, 1867 Mr. Wise married An-
nie Eliza McElwaine, born in Colerain town-
ship, in September, 1847. Mrs. Wise received
her education in the common schools, and was
brought up on a fann, her father, John Mc-
Elwaine, being a farmer and lime burner. He
died on his farm in Colerain township, Lancas-
ter county, in 1850, at the age of fifty-one.
His wife was Elizabeth Kerr, a descendant of
the Kerrs who were the first settlers in Col-
erain and Bart townships. Mrs. Wise is a de-
scendant of Scotch-Irish ancestors, the Kerrs
as well as the McElwaines being of that na-
tionality. Mrs. Wise is also a descendant of



BIOGRAPHICyVL



717



the Ross family, her grandmother McElwaine
having- been a Miss Ross before marriage,
while her great-grandmother was a Chambers.
Grandfather William Kerr was a soldier in
the Revolutionary war, and served three terms
of enlistment, being twice a volunteer and once
drafted.

Mr. and Mrs. Wise are attendants of the
U. P. Church. In his political sympathies Mr.
Wise was formerly a Democrat, but is now
connected with the Republican party. Three
(children have been born to Mr. and Mrs.
James Wise, all of whom are deceased, Sam-
uel H., Lizzie and Ellen.

FRANK LEHMAN, of the firm of F.
Lehman & Co., contractors in concrete and ar-
tificial stone, was the pioneer in that business
in York, and during the twenty-eight years



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 140 of 201)