Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 141 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 141 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


that he has been engaged in it has been steadily
raising the grade of the work from the com-
paratively rough state of the first efforts to
the present high standard of perfection.

The parents of Mr. Lehman, Francis and
Cecilia (Dull) Lehman, were natives of Baden,
Germany, where they grew to maturity and
married. Li 1850 they embarked on a sailing-
vessel for America and were fourteen weeks
on the water. After the vessel was within
sight of land, it encountered a severe siorm
which drove it again back to the Fatherland.
When the newcomers finally set foot on Amer-
ican soil, they located in the city of York and
took their first dinner in George street on a
store box, for Mr. Lehman was penniless when
he landed in this country. He soon moved
into the countiy, and for several years was en-
gaged as a laborer in the vicinity of Emig-s-
ville. Later he returned to York and secured
employment in the carpenter department of
the York Car Shops, where he continued to
work for the remainder of his life, thereby
accumulating considerable property. His
death occurred in 1882 at the age of sixty-
five years, but his widow is still living-, and
is eighty years of age. They wei'e members
of St. Mary's Catholic Church. The children
born to this couple were : Julia, widow of the
late Antonio Frank, a resident of York;
Rachel, wife of Lewis Dull, of Bellefonte,
Center county; Basil, a mechanic in Philadel-
phia ; Frank ; and Mary, who married Harry
W. Sprosen, of Philadelphia.

Frank Lehman was born near Emigsville,



Aug. 10, 1857. During his boyhood and
youth he attended school, while his summers
from the time he was eight until he was
twenty-two were spent working in a brick-
yard. He then went into his present business,
and was the first contractor in York to lay
concrete paving. Some of the contracts which
he has handled are those for the court house,
post office, the Penn Park school buildings,
and for a number of other structures, both
public and private. The present firm of F.
Lehman & Co. was formed in 1898, and con-
fines itself to work in York and the outlying
districts, taking contracts for granolithic walks,
concrete reservoirs, cisterns, etc. The firm
employs from eighteen to twenty men, and
has its offices at No. 616 South George street.
On April 18, 1885, occurred the union of
Frank Lehman and Miss Jennie Horn, daugh-
ter of George Horn, of York. There is one
child living, Cecilia, while a son, Edward,
died in March, 1903, aged eight years, eight
months and three days. The family are mem-
bers of St. Mary's Catholic Church, and are
active in the work of the parish. Their home
is a handsome residence at No. 616 South
George Street. Mr. Lehman is a stanch Dem-
ocrat, and takes an active part in party work,
having served as a delegate to three county
conventions. In his chosen line of business he
has met with much success, and he is highly
respected by his many friends and associates.

AARON BOYER resides in Dover town-
ship, where he was born Sept. 15, 1849,
son of Solomon Boyer. He attended the town-
ship schools of Dover until about nineteen
years of age and then learned the wood-work-
ing trade in York, which he pursued for about
four years. In 1874 he married Susan Smith,
born in Codorus township in 1853, daughter
of George and Mary (Xoss) Smith. Mrs.
Boyer's father was born in North Codorus
township, and when a )-oung man learned, the
carpenter's trade, which he followed for a num-
ber of years, later engaging in farming. He
and his wife died in North Codorus township
and are buried at Wolf's church in West Man-
chester township.

After his marriage Wx. Boyer located in
Dover township, along the Dover road, where
he remained three years, ren-ioving in 1877 to
his present home, where he is still engaged in
farming. He is the owner of two fine farms in



738



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Dover township — one of no acres and the old
Boyer homestead, on which he resides, which
consists of 115 acres. 'Xhe buildings are in
fine condition and the soil is very productive,
making Mr. Boyer's farms two of the best in
the communit}'.

To jNIr. and Mrs. Boyer children as fol-
lows have been born: Halleck E., who mar-
ried Ellen Linebaugh and lives in Jackson
township along the Berlin road; Annie E.,
married to Edward Lauer and living in Dover
township: and ^Minnie L., and John S., at
home. The family are consistent members of
Strayers Lutheran Church, in which Mr.
Boyer has been a deacon. Mr. Boyer is a
Democrat, and has very acceptably filled the
offices of auditor and township clerk. He is
known to be a man of strict integrity and re-
liabilit)^ and no one in Dover township stands
higher in the public esteem.

JOHN KINARD is now living practically
retired, making his home in Lower Windsor
township. He is a native of York county, a-
member of one of its pioneer families, and is
one of the loj'al sons of the old Keystone State
who went to the front in defense of the Union
during the war of the Rebellion.

Mr. Kinard was born on the farm now
owned by Samuel Leiphart, in Lower Windsor
township, Feb. 5, 1836. His father, Henry
Kinard, was likewise born and reared in the
township, and there passed his entire life, be-
ing a farmer during his active career. He at-
tained the venerable age of eighty-four years,
and died at his old homestead, in Lower Wind-
sor township. He was first a Whig and later
a Republican in his political affiliations, and
both he and his wife held membership in the
Evangelical Church, being earnest, industrious
and God-fearing- persons, altogether worthy of
the esteem in which the}' were so uniformly
held. Henry Kinard married Elizabeth Shue,
who was born at Red Lion, York county, dy-
ing in Lower Windsor township at the age of
seventy-six years. In their family were nine
children, namely : Michael and Henry, both
of whom are deceased ; Catherine, who became
the wife of Joseph Dellinger and who also is
deceased, as are also George, Eliza (Mrs.
George Burg), William, and Simon; Mag-
dalena, the wife of David Shultz, of Wrights-
A-ille; and John, \\-ho is the }-oungest of the
children.



John Kinard early learned the lessons of
hard work and personal responsibility, since
he began to depend largely upon his own re-
sources when a mere boy. The family was a
large one, and such were the exigencies that
each had to contribute his c^uota toward main-
taining himself and assisting in the farm work.
When but twelve years of age John Kinard
was hired out as a teamster, never attending
school and being denied all regular educational
advantages. He has, however, in the course
of a long, worthy and useful life, mastered the
practical lessons offered by experience. In
1868 he began farming on the place of Michael
Shenberger, receiving half of the returns from
the produce raised under his supervision, and
later he conducted the farm of Daniel Leber
about three j^ears, on the same plan, in the
meanwhile carefully husbanding his resources,
in order that he might secure a homestead of
his own. In 1869 Mr. Kinard purchased a
tract of forty acres in Lower Windsor town-
ship, and thereafter was actively engaged in
its operation and improvement until 1889,
when he purchased his present comfortable and
attractive residence and retired to enjoy the
fruits of his former toil and endeavor.

When the dark cloud of Civil war cast its
pall over the nation Mr. Kinard tendered his
services in defense of the Union, enlisting in

1862, in Company B, (Capt. Glesner), 130th
P. V. I, commanded by Col. Zinn. Mr. Kin-
ard continued in active service until the ex-
piration of his seven-months' term of enlist-
ment, when he received his honorable dis-
charge, having participated in the battles of
Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Antietam and
various minor engagements. At Antietam he
received a minie-ball wound in his right arm,
and he was for a time confined to the hospital
at York in his native county, having made
the trip there on foot, in company with Adam
Fitzkey, who had received a bullet wound in
the forehead. Mr. Kinard has shown a con-
tinued interest in his old comrades, and is an
appreciative member of Lieut. R. W. Smith
Post, No. 270, Grand Army of the Republic,
at Wrightsville. In politics he has ever given
a stanch allegiance to the Republican party, in
whose ranks he has been found from practi-
cally the time of its organization.

In Lower Windsor township, in the year

1863, Mr. Kinard was united in marriage to
Susan Campbell, who was a native of that



BIOGRAPHICAL



739



township and a daughter of Samuel and Cath-
erine (Craley) Campljell. She proved a de-
voted wife and mother until summoned to her
reward on the 4th of April, 1889. Of the
twehe children born to Mr. and Mrs. Kinard
two died in infancy, and of the others the fol-
lowing brief record is offered : Eliza is the
wife of Titus Suavely, of Yorkana, York
county; Franklin, who married Angeline Leip-
hart, is a successful farmer of Lower \\'indsor
township; Emma died at the age of twelve
years; Charles, who married a Miss Gohn, is
a farmer of Hellam township ; Fanny is the
wife of Noah Hoffman, of Lower Windsor
township ; Daniel died while young ; William,
who married a Miss Strickler, is a farmer of
Springetsbury township; Elme'r died at the
age ot two years ; John, who married a ]\Iiss
Crumling, is likewise a farmer of Springets-
bury township; Helen died at the age of six
years.

CORNELIUS S. SNYDER, of the firm
of Kohler-Snyder Cigar Company, manufac-
turers of high-grade cigars at Yoe and other
points in York county, is recognized as one of
the progressive young business men of his
native county, while he has in all respects up-
held the prestige of the name which he bears
and which has been long and prominently iden-
tified with the history of this favored section
of the Keystone State.

Mr. Snyder was born in the borough of
Yoe, York county, Jan. i, 1874, son of Aaron
Snyder. He secured his education in the pub-
lic schools and in a well-ordered summer
school maintained at Dallastown, this county.
When about eighteen years of age he entered
upon an apprenticeship at the factory of
the Kohler Cigar Company, at Yoe, where he
became an expert workman and a competent
judge of stock, also learning all details of the
practical business, including the packing of
ciga'rs. In 1896 he became associated with
Messrs. George A. and Adam W. Kohler in
the same line, under the firm name of the
Kohler-Snyder Cigar Company, with head-
quarters in the borough of Yoe. In 1898 A.
W. Kohler retired from the concern, and in
1900 G. A. Kohler also withdrew, jNIr. Sny-
der assuming entire control in the latter year,
since which time he has individualh^ carried
forward the enterprise, which has grown to be
one of wide scope, its trade extending into



divers States of the Union. The business is
still conducted under the title of the Kohler-
Snyder Cigar Company, and aside from the
large and well equipped plant at Yoe, about
ten branch factories are maintained in York
county, a large quantity of the best local pro-
duct of tobacco being utilized in these estab-
lishments. An idea of the extensive scope of
the business may be gained when it is stated
that in the main factory, at Yoe, a corps of
about forty-five employees is retained and kept
busy in the manufacture of excellent grades
of cigars, which are shipped throughout the
Union. Mr. Snyder is an alert, reliable and
discriminating young business man, as is
clearly indicated by the character of the thriv-
ing enterprise with which he is thus prom-
inently identified. He is also a public-spirited
citizen, loyal to all civic duties and responsi-
bilities. He is a stanch adherent of the Repub-
lican party, and has served as a member of the
borough council of Yoe, and is a school di-
rector of this borough. He has also been a
member of the election board of the township.
Both he and his wife are d:.^'oted members of
the United Brethren Church, in which he is a
trustee, being active in all departments of the
church work.

On June i, 1892, Mr. Snyder was united
in marriage to Miss Sarah Lehman, who was
born and reared in Springfield township, York
county, a daughter of Jacob Lehman, a promi-
nent and influential resident of that section.
To Mr. and Mrs. Snyder have been.Jsorn five
children, of whom Aaron Winfield and another
died in infancy, being laid to rest in the ceme-
tery at Yoe, as was also May, the fourth in
order of birth, who died at the age of eight
months. The two surviving children are :
Curwin Arthur and Salada E.

Aaron Snyder, father of the immediate
subject of this review, was born in Hopewell
township. York county, in 181 8, and was a
son of Philip Snyder, who was likewise a na-
tive of the county and had two sisters and five
brothers ; the names of the brothers were :
Jacob, Michael, John, George and Abraham.
Philip Snyder was numbered among the ^■ery
early settlers in Hopewell township, where
he was a man of influence and prominence,
having been a successful school-teacher in the
pioneer days and having also served for a. num-
ber of years as justice of the peace: in addition
to farming, he did a considerable amount of



740



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANL/\



excellent work as a surveyor. He married Eva
Stabley, a representative of another of the old
families of York county, and both passed the
remainder of their lives in Hopewell town-
ship, where they were laid to rest many years
ago. Of their children is entered the following
brief record : Elizabeth died in Yoe, York
county ; Aaron was the father of Cornelius S. ;
Susan, wife of a Mr. Sheaffer, died in Hope-
well township; Mary, wife of a Mr. Reiker,
died in Chanceford township; Joseph died in
Hopewell township ; Kate in Enon, Ohio ;
Philip in York township ; William in Hopewell
township; Lydia, wife of a Mr. Shenberger,
died in Hopewell township; Annie, wife of a
Mr. Gibson, died in Yoe ; and Sallie, wife of a
Mr. Reiker, resides near Stewartstown, York
county.

After receiving a common school educa-
tion Aaron Snyder learned the blacksmith's
trade in Chanceford township, and after- the
completion of his apprenticeship removed to
Florin, Lancaster county, where he was en-
gaged in the work of his trade for a number of
years. He then returned to York county and
located near Springvale, Windsor township,
where he was actively engaged in business for
the long period of forty years, at the expira-
tion of which, in 1875, he became a resident of
the present borough of Yoe. Here he operated
a sawmill for a few years and then retired
from active labor, continuing to reside in Yoe
until his death, in 1896, and being buried in the
cemetery of that borough. He was a man of
sterling character and ever commanded the
esteem and confidence of all who knew him.
In politics he was originally a Whig and later
a Republican, and his religious faith was that
of the Evangelical Church, of which he was
a devoted member.

Aaron Snyder was twice married, his first
union having been with Catherine Yoe, a mem-
ber of the well-known family in whose honor
the borough of Yoe was named. She was born
and reared in Windsor township, and died
when comparatively a young woman. Follow-
ing is a brief record concerning her children :
George married Rebecca Hartman and they re-
side in Yoe. Lydia died unmarried. Elias mar-
ried Anna Mary Snyder and they reside in
Yoe. Leah is the wife of Abraham S. Strayer,
of Yoe. Moses first married Catherine Se-
christ, daughter of Harry and Mary (Yoe)
Sechrist, and the only child of this marriage



is Mrs. Emma L. Slenker, of Yoe. After the
death of his first wife Moses Snyder married
Mary Ann, daughter of Harry and Elizabeth
(Ebersole) Detrich, and they still reside in
Yoe, having four children. It may further be
said that Moses Snyder was practically the
founder of the borough of Yoe, erecting the
first house in the village and laboring with con-
stant zeal for the development and upbuild- ,
ing of the borough. He has ever been fore-
most in the promotion of all worthy enter-
prises and causes, and is a prominent and val-
ued member of the United Brethren Church,
in which he is a local preacher. In every re-
spect he is one of Yoe's most honored and in-
fluential citizens, having a beautiful modern
residence and being also engaged in the cigar
business. Aaron Y., the next of the children
of Aaron and Catherine (Yoe) Snyder, mar-
ried Elizabeth Woods and they reside in
Wrightsville, York county. William H.,
who married Catherine Woods, is likewise a
resident of that town.

For his second wife Aaron Snyder chose
Susan, the daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth
(Spotts) Snyder. She was born in Windsor
township and her death occurred in Yoe, in
1894. She is survived by four children,
namely : John W., who married Sarah Grim,
resides at Dallastown, York county ; Alice is
the wife of John Bortner, of that place; Frank
P. married Leah Horn and they reside in Yoe ;
and Cornelius S.

GEORGE H. WHITELEY, vice-presi-
dent and superintendent of the Dentists' Supply
Company, is the head of the manufacturing" de-
partment of one of the most prominent indus-
tries of York. His birth occurred at Camden,
N. J., Oct. 23, 1857.

Mr. Whiteley's ancestors came from the
North of Ireland about 1840, and settled in
Philadelphia, where his father became a well-
known business man. He married Jane Fox,
also of Irish descent, who became the mother
of twelve children, seven of whom are de-
ceased. The survivors are : Jane, the wife
of James D. Finley, a flour and feed dealer
of Philadelphia; Minerva, the wife of Al-
bert F. Clark, a book publisher of Philadel-
phia ; Ellen ; Frank, connected with the dental
works in York ; and George H.

George H. Whiteley was educated in the
schools of Camden, N. J., and Philadelphia,



BIOGRAPHICAL



741



and after leaving school went to Minnesota,
where he kept a store for four years.' Return-
ing- to the East, he became bookkeeper and
salesman in a manufacturing concern in West
Chester, Pa., where he remained five years,
after which he removed to Denver, Colo.
There he engaged in the stationery and print-
ing business and remained two years. Again
returning to the East, Mr. Whiteley located in
Philadelphia, where for a time he was a manu-
facturer of dental supplies, later going to Wil-
mington, Del, and becoming a stockholder in
and superintendent of the Wilmington Dental
Manufacturing Company. In 1899 Mr.
Whiteley located in New York and engaged
with the Consolidated Dental Manufacturing
Company, in which he was a stockholder, but
shortly withdrew from that firm, and, with
three friends, organized the Dentists' Supply
Company, with the main office in New York
City. They established their plant in York,
where the business has grown so that the force
has increased from twenty-five to three hun-
dred employees, manufacturing among other
articles about four thousand sets of porcelain
teeth daily. The trade covers the civilized
world, the firm shipping their goods to South
America, Africa, China, Japan, Russia and
other distant countries.

Mr. Whiteley was married April 29, 1884,
to Ida V. Osborne, daughter of Joseph H. Os-
borne, a retired farmer of West Chester, Pa.
Two sons were born to this union : George
H., Jr., who is attending- school at Lawrence-
vihe, N. J., and J. Osborne, of the York Col-
legiate Institute (class of 1906). Mr. White-
ley is a member of the First Presbyterian
Church of York. In politics he is a Repub-
lican, and, in all the affairs of life, is an affable,
liberal-minded gentleman.

SAMUEL SMITH ZELLERS of Hope-
well township, York county, was born Oct.
14, 1849, 01"^ the homestead in Hopewell town-
ship, son of Levi and Lavina (Lucky) Zellers.
It was on his father's farm that he received his
agricultural training, receiving his education
until he was nineteen years of age in the local
schools and at the Stewartstown Academy.
Among his early teachers he recalls with kind
recollections Abel Kirkwood, Morrison Fulton,
Richard Patterson and Henry Gabel, and
later, Asa Anderson and Ada Ebaugh, some
of whom have happy homes of their own, some



have passed out into the greater world of af-
fairs and doubtless some have crossed the dark
river.

The early work of Samuel S. Zellers was
on the homestead farm, where industry was re-
quired of the sons and daughters. No modern
machinery was then in use, and the grain was
cut with a cradle and the grass with the old
fashioned scythe ; but the training strength-
ened the boy's muscles, so that by the age of
fifteen he was able to perform the duties of a
full hand in the harvest field. He remained
with his father until his brother William as-
sumed the management of the home farm and
the father moved to Stewartstown, when he
accompanied him there and spent a year as
clerk in the store of William Hartman. After
the death of the mother the father returned to
the homestead and for the following five years
Samuel worked as a farm hand by the month,
when he married and located on the tract near
Stewartstown which is owned by William Gem-
mill. There he resided for eleven years and
then bought his present excellent, well-located
farm of 144 acres, where he has since con-
ducted general farming.

In 1883 Mr. Zellers was married to Anna
Mary Duncan, born in Hopewell township,
whose father was William Duncan and whose
mother before marriage was a Miss Wiley.
Mr. and Mrs. Zellers have had these children :
William Levi, and an unnamed babe, both
of whom died in infancy ; Myrtle Amanda
and Samuel Carlisle, living at home ; May-
field : Everett Duncan : Wiley Free ; Allan
Smith ; and John, who died in infancy.

SAMUEL H. SMITH, of Lower Chance-
ford township, has been identified with its agri-
cultural interests, and with its business affairs
to a very large extent. Old deeds held by
Mr. Smith show that the original farm land,
on part of which he now resides, was taken up
by James Evans and transferred to his son
and the widow Mary Smith, who it is supposed
was the daughter of James Evans. The place
consisted of about 430 acres, of which the
widow received half which is the part now
owned by Mr. Smith. The property is still
known as Sweet Spring farm, and was en-
tered in the name of James Evans March 3,
1767; by a later deed, dated Jan. 10, 1769, it
is found that James Evans deeded the tract
to Robert Smith, who, it is supposed, was a



742



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



grandson of James Evans and a son of Mary
Smith. Robert Smith deeded this tract of
land to his sons, Robert and James Leper
Smith, on Feb. 14, 1823. The iirst Robert
Smith had married Mary Leper, and his son
James had for his middle name Leper, his
mother's maiden name. The two sons, Robert
and James Leper Smith, were bachelors and
divided the tract between themselves.

Robert Smith reared his nephew Robert
Smith (the father of Samuel H.), the son of
his sister Jennie, from the age of four years,
and deeded his share of the property to him.
Jennie Smith married James Hume Smith, and
after their marriage they located in Upper
Chanceford township, on the farm now owned
by Jesse Runkle, where Mr. Smith died. Mrs.
Smith died on the James Leper Smith part of
the old Smith farm, in 1873, being over eighty
years old at the time of her death. They Avere
devout Presbyterians. Mr. Smith was a cap-
tain in the Revolutionary war. They had the
following children : ( i ) Samuel Hume married
Louisa Clarkson, a daughter of Rev, Andrew
Clarkson (the first preacher at the Guinston
Church), and died on his farm near Stewarts-
town, which is now owned by Henry Kerns ;
he was buried in Chanceford Church cemetery.
He was a minister of the Presbyterian faith,
having charges at Center, Stewartstown and
Round Hill, and each church has a memorial
window for him. (2) John married Tabitha
Collins, and settled on the James Leper Smith
half of the farm, on which he died. (3) Mary
died in youth. (4) Ann Eliza married Benja-
min Manifold, and died in Hopewell township.
(5) Sarah Martha died unmarried. (6) Mar-
garet lives in Philadelphia. (7) Robert was
the father of Samuel H. Smith.

Robert Smith was born on the grandfather's
farm in Upper Chanceford township. Dec. 25,
1820, and his early education was received in
the subscription schools and in the public
schools, this being supplemented by a course
at the local academies. While still a young
man he commenced teaching in the Manifold



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 141 of 201)