Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 144 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 144 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


died in 1886 and was buried at Bethel M. E.
church. Mr. and Mrs. Micajah Posey were the
parents of the following children : David, who
married Mary Groff, managed the York fur-
nace for John Baer & Co, and for a while was
a partner in the concern ; he and his wife were
the parents of B. F. Posey, who is mentioned
elsewhere. Rebecca married Peter Ward, and
emigrated to Biggsville, 111., where her hus-
band died, and where she still resides. George
W., a mason by trade, enlisted in the 76th P.
V. I., and served until the charge on Fort AVag-
ner, S. C, where the Union forces captured the
hill, which was recaptured by the re-enforced
Confederates, when he dropped out of sight
foreve/r. Robert A. enlisted at the age of
twenty years in the 130th P. V. I., under Cap-
tain Small of York, participated in the battles
of Antietam and Fredericksburg, was wounded
at the latter and was taken to the hospital at



J



BIOGRAPHICAL



753



Washington, D. C, where he contracted ty-
phoid fever; he was taken home by his father,
and died after a convalescence and a relapse.
William J. is mentioned below. John B. en-
listed at the age of sixteen years in the 21st
Pennsylvania Cavalry, being a runaway school-
boy, served through the battle of Cold Harbor,
from consequent exposure was taken sick with
brain fever, and died at the hospital in Wash-
ington, D. C, whence he was brought home
and laid beside his brothers in the Bethel ceme-
tery. Maria lives in Virginia. Mary Jane mar-
ried Jacob Keeports, of Lower Chanceford
township. Jacob S., justice of the peace of
Lower Chanceford township, married Mary M.
McSherry.

William J. Posey was born Dec. 6, 1844, at
Cecil Furnace, Cecil Co., Md., and when two
years old was brought by his parents to Lower
Chanceford township, where he attended the
public schools until eighteen years of age and
then pursued a two-years course at the Air-
ville Academy, under Professor Pierce, and
later under Professor McKdvey. He com-
menced to teach at the stone schoolhouse in
Lower Chanceford township, where he re-
mained for one year. He then located in Mon-
mouth, Warren Co., 111., taught for one year,
and then returned to York county. He taught
in Chanceford and Lower Chanceford town-
ships for the next twenty-five years, acciuiring
quite a reputation as an educator throughout
the county. Mr. Posey was the local preacher
in the Bethel M. E. Church from 1884 until
1892, and from the latter year until 1897 again
taught school. In 1897 he commenced farm-
• ing on the old family homestead, which he had
purchased in 1882. Mr. Posey united with the
Bethel M. E. church at the age of twenty-seven
years and has been a devout and consistent
member ever since. He has been superin-
tendent of the Sunday-schools throughout the
neighborhood for several years, and is a char-
itable, Christian man. In politics he has al-
ways been a Republican, and has served as
township auditor.

On Oct. 7, 1865, William J. Posey married
Miss Sarah E. Kerr, Avho was born at Pequea,
Lancaster county, daughter of Joseph H. and
Catherine (Mundorff) Kerr. Joseph Kerr had
been a resident of York, Chanceford and Lower
Chanceford townships, and died at Mr. Posey's
residence in 1892. By trade he had' been a
blacksmith. Mrs. Kerr was the daughter of



Peter Mundorff, a fisherman-farmer who
owned an island in the Susquehanna river, op-
posite Lockport. He later moved to Chance-
ford township, where he died. The following
children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Posey;
Catherine Frances married William D. Jones,
of Delta; John J., a farmer of Lower Chance-
ford township, married G€rtrude Wright;
George M., a farmer of Lancaster county, mar-
ried Sarah Simmers; Elizabeth, a graduate o£
a Philadelphia school for nurses, is now lo-
cated in that city ; Mary Jane married William
Patten, of Altoona; Anna M. married H. W.
Crawford, of Lancaster; z\lbert is bookkeeper
for William J. Fisher, a real-estate dealer of
Wilmington, Del. ;Silas R. is teller in the Dills-
burg National Bank; Olive M., who attended
the public schools, and graduated from the
York academy in 1903, began teaching in 1900
at Miller's school in Chanceford township, and
has since spent two years at the York Fur-
nace school and one year at the Pleasure Hill
school.

William J. Posey is a worthy representa-
tive of the old family of which he is a de-
scendant. Many of its members have settled
in different sections, but wherever found
they are thrifty, intelligent and honorable.

LEWIS AHRENS, senior member of the
firm of Lewis Ahrens & Co., of York, Pa.,
dealers in cattle, hogs and sheep, is one of the-
self-made men of that locality, and through,,
energy, native ability and business foresight,,
has become a very prominent factor in the
commercial life of the city. Mr. Ahrens was
born in West Manchester township, June 17,
1849, son of Ernst and Louise (Hazelman)
Ahrens, both natives of Maryland. For some
years the parents were residents of Baltimore,
but eventually removed to York county. Pa.,
locating on a farm, where the father passed
away in 1894. The mother died in 1877.

Lewis Ahrens was reared upon a farm,
and received but a limited education, making,
however, the best of his opportunities, and
when he lett home at the age of twenty-five
years, he embarked in the business of handling
hogs, cattle and sheep. At first his operations
were conducted upon a small scale, but later
he dealt in car lots and shipped to Balti-
more and Philadelphia. In 1888 he established
himself in the stock business in York, where he
has been very successfully engaged ever since.



754



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



and now has extensive yards for the accommo-
dation of his horses, cattle, hogs and sheep, at
the same time profitably operating an extensive
farm. In 1902 Mr. Ahrens associated himself
with W. A. Little, and the present firm style
was adopted. The reputation of the house ior
fair and honorable dealings is unimpeached,
and its volume of business shows a steady and
-healthy annual increase.

When twenty-one years of age Mr. Ahrens
was married to Miss Susan Peters, of York
township, a daughter of William and Mary
(\\'illiam) Peters. The following children
have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Ahrens : Ed-
ward E., a butcher; Samuel L. ; Harry W., in
business with his father; Jane, wife of Oscai
Stoner; Sadie, wife of Bert Husson; and Alice
May and Emma, at home. In addition to his
•other interests, Mr. Ahrens has valuable realty
holdings in Buffalo and York. Fraternally he
is a member of the Knights of Malta. His re-
hgious affiliations are with Christ Lutheran
Church. In politics he is a ■ Democrat, and
-gives uncjualified support to the candidates of
that party. In every respect Mr. Ahrens is a
Tnodel citizen and an upright business man.

JACOB H. MYERS. Among the best
known agriculturists of Monaghan township is
Jacob H. Myers, who owns a fine farm of
€ighty-three acres. He was born Dec. 20,
1850, in Warrington township, York county,
son of Jacob and Margaret J. (Gray) Myers.

Mr. Myers received his education in the
•common schools of Monaghan township. His
mother having died when he was but three
years of age, he lived with his grandfather,
Jacob Myers, until he was eight years old,
when his father remarried, and' the boy went
to live with him until the ag-e of thirteen. He
then made his home with his vuicle, George
Myers, remaining wnth him two years, when he
returned to his grandfather, and at the age of
twenty-two started out in an independent ca-
reer. With nothing but a pair of willing hands
and a good stock of ambition as capital, he
embarked in an occupation that has proved to
be his fortune. He commenced market garden-
ing, which he followed for one year and then
bought a farm of twenty acres, which he im-
proved and added to from time to time, until
when he sold the property, it consisted of fifty-
six acres. He then (in 1891) purchased the
farm which he now owns, the Jacob G. Myers



property, which at that time consisted of about
seventy-five acres. Mr. Myers has, at times,
both increased and decreased his farm, and
now it comprises about eighty-three acres,
forty of which are of timber land.

Mr. Myers devotes his time to general
farming and fruit-growing, and in 1897 raised
5,000 bushels of peaches of the choicest va-
rieties, while his son raised 3,000 bushels on
an adjoining farm. It would seem by the
above figures that (this land was especially
adapted to horticulture. Mr. Myers' fruit and
vegetables both find a ready market in Har-
risburg, Philadelphia and New York City.

In 1872 Jacob H. Myers married Annie
Grove, born May 31, 1854, daughter of John
Grove, and the children born to this union are :
John R. ; Catherine E., w^ho married Lloyd
David of Mt. Pleasant; Thomas R., deceased;
William E., deceased; M. Edith, a graduate of
Shippensburg State Normal School, and now a
teacher in the district schools' of the county;
Sarah Ida, at home; Elsie E., at home; Ray-
hiond A.; Virdie J.; Mabel E., and Warren
E. In religion the family belong to the Church
of God. Mr. Myers is a firm Democrat, and
has held the ofiice of supervisor for two years.
He has also been school director for twelve
years, for three years being treasurer and for
seven years president of the board. Mr. Myers
has taken an active part in educational mat-
ters and has given his children the advantages
of a thorough mental discipline. In every
sense of the w^ord, Mr. Myers is a self-made
man, having fought his way, almost unaided,
to his present high station. He is a man who
commands the respect of his neighbors, and
has a wide circle of warm personal friends. He
is one of the trustees of the cemetery and his
son, John R., has been a deacon in the Church
of God for the past three years.

JOHN A. WILSON, a practical farmer of
East Hopewell township, York covmty, was
born on his grandfather's farm at Dolf, East
Hopewell township, Dec. 25, 1856, son of the
late William S. Wilson.

William S. Wilson was also a native of that
township, born on the old homestead, Jan. 29,
1825, where he grew to manhood. He was
educated in its common schools, and was reared
to the life of a farmer, which occupation he
followed all of his life. He married Ellen Ann
Anderson, born at Dolf, June 6, 1838, daugh-



BIOGRAPHICAL



755



■ter of William and Ellen (Morrison) Ander-
son. After marriage Mr. and Mrs. Wilson
settled on a loo-acre tract, most of which was
in the woods, and there, hy the opening of
spring, he cleared a place. In 1857 he erected
a honie thereon, in which he spent the remain-
der of his life, dying Oct. 2, 1903, Mrs. Wilson
still surviving. He was a faithful member of
the Hopewell Presbyterian Church, in which
he was an elder for thirty years, and there he
was buried. He was a lifelong Republican and
served as school director for several terms.
The children of Mr. and Mrs. Wilson were :
Maggie, Mrs. A. G. J. Hyson, of East Hope-
well township; Ella, Mrs. J. B. Grove, of York,
twin sister of Nettie, the wife of Dr. Glessick,
of New Freedom; Mary A., living at home;
Lizzie, deceased wife of Porter Anderson, of
East Hopewell township ; Amanda, deceased,
wife of F. O. Beard, of Hopewell township ;
William E., of East Hopewell township, who
married Minerva Miller and resides in the same
township; Olive C, at home; Emma L. and
Edna L., twins, both at home; Anna, who died
in infancy; and John A.

John A. Wilson attended the public schools
during the winter terms until eighteen years
of age, but did not have much opportunity to
gain an education, being the eldest in the fam-
ily and his services at home being most in de-
mand. He worked on his father's farm until
his marriage, when he lived for a time on his
father-in-law's place, and then (about 1894)
bought his present homestead. This consists
of ninety-one acres of the finest land in East
Hopewell township, comprises one of the most
beautiful homes in the section, and has one of
the finest, most up-to-date residences to l)e
found in the township, erected by Mr. Wilson
in 1896. It is equipped with all modern im-
provements and conveniences and is well sit-
uated and substantially and beautifully built.
Mr. Wilson joined the Hopewell Presbyterian
Church in 1883 and has been a devout member
ever since. In politics a Republican, he was
elected to serve as school director, and as-
sumed the duties of that office the first Monday
:n June, 1905.

On Feb. 18, 1886, Mr. Wilson married
Miss Emma H. Hyson, daughter of John and
Margaret (Miller) Hyson, and to this union
have been born : Charles Alexander, Harry
C, and Marguerite Ellen, all residing at home.



CHARLES H. SULTNER, who has won
for himself a substantial place in the business
world of York, and a no less prominent place
in musical circles, is one of the most popular
men in the county. He is a son of Charles and
a grandson of Christian Sultner, who died in
Spring Garden township in i860, aged sixty-
five years. Mr. Sultner was born April 10,
1855, ^""^1 l''is early life was spent on a farm.
The public schools afiforded him opportunity
for. an education — an opportunitj' of which he
was not slow to avail himself. At the age of
twenty-two years he established' himself in the
meat business, and for almost thirty years has
continued in that line, conducting the business
alone until in April, 1902, when he admitted
his son as his partner, the firm name being
changed to C. H. Sultner & Son. He does
all his own killing, selling no meat over his
counter which he has not himself butchered.
His trade is strictly retail, and his customers
come from far and near because of the excel-
lent quality of meat to be procured in his es-
tablishment. He is thoroughly up-to-date in
all particulars, and has made a considerable
success of his work. He has also become a
property holder, being the owner of one of the
best properties on the WeSt side, which he pur-
chased and then remodeled, and he has erected
several buildings in the city, thus contributing
his share to its growth and prosperity. His
business affairs have always been conducted
on a high plane, and this is a fact so well known
that his representation of his goods is accepted
as final.

In his religious belief Mr. Sultner is a Lu-
theran, and he is a member of Christ Luther-
an Church of York, where he has served as a
deacon and is now an elder. The Sabbath-
school has found in him an efficient worker, he
being the assistant secretary ; but it is in the
choir that he has found the widest scope for
his talents, and the high class of music rendered
is the best evidence of his marked ability. He
has been one of the best workers in Christ-
Lutheran Quartette, and his willingness on all
occasions to give his services has won him
many friends.

In the spring of 1877 Mr. Sultner was
united in marriage with Miss Sarah Eyster,
daughter of John Eyster, and four children
have come to brighten their home, namely:
Harvey A., who is now associated with his
father in business; Jennie E., wife of Edwin



756



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



S. Ziegler, of No. 735 West Market street,
York, and the mother of one child, Charles
I. ; Bessie I. and Alvin E., at home. Mr. Sult-
ner takes a good citizen's interest in public
affairs, but he cares nothing for office hold-
ing. He is a member of the Heptasophs.

JAMES KELLER, of Lower Windsor
township, is a representative of one of the pio-
neer families of this section of the old Key-
stone State. The original ancestors in America
came hither from Germany and settled in what
is now Lancaster county. Pa. They were Lu-
therans in their religious faith. In that county
was born Peter Keller, grandfather of James
Keller, and there he was reared to maturity.
As a young man, in company with a relative of
about the same age and name, he crossed the
river and settled in what is now Lower Wind-
sor township, York county, his place of loca-
tion being about midway between Canadochley
church and Wrightsville, while his original
claim of land comprised 160 acres, which he
reclaimed from the virgin forest. He was a
man of strong mentality and indefatigable in-
dustry, and at the time of his death was one
of the wealthiest men in his township, owning
several valuable farms, and he was a man of
wide influence in the community. He was a
pillar in the Lutheran Church, and his days
were prolonged to those of a patriarch, since
he was aged ninety-nine years, two months
and twenty-three days at the time of his de-
mise, April 22, 1873. His first wife, whose
maiden name was Julia Ann Winehold, died
March i, 1823, at the age of forty-five years
and six months. He subsec[uently married a
widow, Mrs. Elizabeth Leber, and she died
Nov. 29, i860, aged seventy-three years, eleven
months and twenty-seven days. Of the chil-
dren of the first marriage Peter, Jr., father of
James, was the eldest.

Peter Keller, Jr., was born on the original
homestead, in York county, Oct. i, 1801. Such
were the conditions and exigencies of time and
locality that, like the average youth of a pio-
neer district, his educational advantages were
very limited in scope ; but this handicap he ef-
fectively overcame by the lessons gained in
the practical school of experience and through
personal reading and application. He married
Saloma Will, and forthwith took up his abode
on a farm in Lower Windsor township — the
property now owned by John Strickler, of



Wrightsville. The place was owned by his
father, from whom he rented it upon thus in-
itiating his independent career. About twelve
years subsequent to his marriage he purchased
the farm now owned by his son James, and
here continued to be actively engaged in agri-
cultural pursuits until his death. He was one
of the solid and highly esteemed citizens of
the township, took a loyal interest in local af-
fairs of a public nature and was an active and
consistent member of the Lutheran Church,
while in his earlier years he was an officer in
a company of local militia. He was called to
his reward March 8, 1874, aged seventy-two
years, five months and seven days, and his de-
voted wife passed away Jan. 4, 1879, in the
seiventy-sixth year of her life. She was a
daughter of John and Catherine Will, well
known pioneers of the county. Peter and Sa-
loma Keller were the parents of eleven chil-
dren, namely : James was the first born ; Julia
Ann, born May 6, 1827, married Jacob Paules,
and after his death became the wife of Michael
Shenberger, whom she still survives ; Peter,
founder of the wagon-gear works at York, was
born Feb. 22, 1829, and died in York, being
still survived by his wife, whose maiden name
was Catherine Young; Simon, born April 23,
1 83 1, married Martha Forry, who survives
him, his death occurring in Chester, Pa.;
Sarah, born July 8, 1833, became the wife of
Henry Eauth. and her death occurred in Lower
Windsor township; Anthony, born Nov. 23,
1835, died in Lower Windsor township, being
survived by his wife, whose maiden name was
Sarah Ann Keller, but who was not of the same
family line; Elizabeth, born April 4, 1837, re-
sides in York, being the widow of David E.
Paules; George, born Aug. 14. 1839, mar-
ried Charlotte Myers and they reside in Lower
Windsor township ; Mary Jane, born Nov. 24,
1841, is the wife of Milton Myers, of the same
township; Maria, born May 19, 1844, married
William Thomas, and her death occurred, in
Lower Windsor township, Oct. 7, 1874; and
Cecelia, born April 12, 1846, died unmarried,
May 15, 1865.

James Keller was born on his grandfather's
farm. Lower Windsor township, York county,
Sept. 22, 1825, and was reared to the sturdy
discipline of the farm, while his educational
advantages were such as were offered by the
primitive subscription schools. As he was the
eldest of the children he was called upon to



BIOGRAPHICAL



7S7



assist in the work of the farm to a greater ex-
tent than the others, remaining at home during
the winter terms of school in order to ride the
horses about on the barn floor and thus tram-
ple and thresh out the wheat. His first teacher
was Frederick Faringer, and his entire school-
ing was irregular and desultory. After the
establishment of the free-school system a school
house was built on the farm of his uncle, John
Will, and he was able to there continue his
studies for a few weeks. He early manifested
an appreciation of good books, and throughout
life has been fond of reading and study, so
that he has in a large measure overcome the
educational handicaps of his youth. Mr. Kel-
ler continued to assist in the work of the home
farm until he had reached the age of twenty-
six years, when he made a final settlement with
his father. While he thereafter continued to
remain at home for some time, he worked for
various farmers and also derived considerable
income from the judicious use of his trading
propensities — buying and selling stock, pro-
duce, etc. In 1861 he was married, and forth-
with began operations on the farm which he
now owns and occupies, at first working on
shares and, after the death of his father, pur-
chasing the property from the other heirs. He
continued to farm on shares for about a
decade, carefully conserving his resources,
and thus having a small capital on which to
base further operations. He purchased a
farm on the line between Lower Windsor and
Hellam townships, locating there and continu-
ing to farm on the place until 1884, when he
returned to the old homestead, which he had
purchased at the death of his father, as before
stated. Here he has erected a fine modern
residence, having one of the most attractive
rural homes in the county, and being one of the
successful farmers and influential citizens of
his township. All the buildings on the home
farm are of the best type and the place, which
comprises 160 acres, is under a high state of
cultivation. He also retains his other farm,
which is eighty-five acres in extent.

In his boyhood Mr. Keller united with the
Canadochley Lutheran Church, being con-
firmed by Rev. Jonathan Oswald, and he has
since continued a zealous member of that re-
ligious body, taking an active interest in all de-
partments of its work. Having served
for more than a decade as chairman
of its council, he finally asked to be



relie\-ed from further active ser\-ice in that
line, because of his advancing age, and his
belief that younger men should begin to as-
sume the responsibilities and active labors. In
politics he is a stalwart Republican, and he
has served most acceptably in the various town-
ship offices, though never a seeker of such
preferment.

On Feb. 28, 1861, was solemnized the mar-
riage of Mr. Keller to Leah Dietz, who was
born and reared in York county, daughter of
George Dietz, a representative farmer of Hel-
lam township. Mr. and Mrs. Keller have one
son, Horace Dietz, who was born Aug. 5, 1865,
and who is now one of the interested principals
in the wagon-gear manufactory at York. In
February, 1904, he was united in marriage to
Catherine Wellenseck, of York.

MILTON MONTGOMERY is the owner
of a fine tract of 121 acres in Chanceford town-
ship, and is a veteran of the Civil war.

William Montgomery, his father, was born
in the North of Ireland, where he received a
common-school education, and emigrated to
America when a young man. He married in
Delaware county. Pa., Jane Smith, born in Del-
aware county and daughter of a Revolutionary
soldier. After their marriage they located in
Peach Bottom township, where Mr. Montgom-
ery bought land and followed farming until
his death in 1864, aged about fifty-five years.
His first wife had died when Milton was a
child, and Mr. Montgomery's second wife was
Sarah Shiry, who married again after Mr.
Montgomery's death. William Montgomery
was a Presbyterian in his religious views.
Originally he was a Democrat, but during the
war changed his views and became a supporter
of the Republican party. Mr. Montgomery's
children by his first wife were: IMilton and
Mary Jane, who married Luther C. Manley, of
Philadelphia. To Mr. Montgomery and his sec-
ond wife these children were born : John, of
Fawn township ; Fanny Ann, married and liv-
ing in Baltimore; Julia Catherine, married;
Henry Lincoln, of Lower Chanceford town-
ship, who married a Miss Howard ; William,
who lives on the home farm, and married a
Miss Stevens ; and one that died in infancy.

Milton Montgomery was born in Peach
Bottom township, Sept. 5, 1846, and reached



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 144 of 201)