Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 145 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 145 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


maturity on the home farm. He recei^■ed a
common-school education and at the age of



758



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



seventeen years left his home to enter mihtary
service. He enlisted at Carlisle (Pa.) bar-
racks, in the spring of 1865, joining Company
F. 149th Regt., P. V. I., and served until the
close of the war, when he was mustered out,
receiving his discharge at Harrisburg, Pa. He
returned to York county, and went to work as
a farm hand, which occupation he followed for
ten years.

On Dec. 27, 1871, Mr. Montgomery mar-
ried Mary A. Taylor, daughter of Thomas R.
and Mary (Pitts) Taylor, born in Lower
Chanceford township, on the Taylor home
farm, where she remained until marriage, at-
tending the common school. Thomas R. Tay-
lor was a well known farmer of his day, and a
member of the Presbyterian Church. In poli-
tics he was a Democrat. He was the son of
Ellezor Taylor, a farmer, whose father was a
native of Ireland. Mrs. Montgomery's mother
was the daughter of Michael Pitts, a farmer
of German descent, and Elizabeth (Swisher)
Pitts, of Chanceford township. Thomas R.
Taylor died Aug. 29, 1885, aged eighty years,
while his wife passed away in July, 1874, six-
ty-six years of age.

After his marriage Mr. Montgomery
farmed on shares for a few years, and then
bought his present home of 121 acres. He
erected a new home and substantial out-build-
ings, and has since successfully carried on gen-
eral farming and tobacco raising. When Mr.
Montg'omery left home he was the possessor
of $2.50, a strong will, tireless energy and a
jtrong pair of hands. Whatever he has ac-
complished, whatever success he has attained,
has been through the force of his own industry.
He is a self-made man, one who has climbed
the ladder of success, round by round, and
reached the top unaided. He has an honorable
war record, and is very highly esteemed in the
community in which he resides. In politics he
has always been a stanch Republican, but has
invariably refusesd to acce^pt public position.
Mrs. Montgomery is connected with the New
Harmony Presbyterian Church, and has been
very active in its work, especially in its Sun-
day-school. She is also a member of the home
and foreign missionary societies.

The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Milton
Montgomery are as follows: William T., of
Chanceford township, married Molly Warner;
John A., of Lower Chanceford township, mar-
ried Lizzie Posey ; Marian E. married Porter



Warner, of Chanceford township ; and Clar-
ence H. resides at home.

REUBEN T.' SMITH, cigar manufacturer
at Red Lion, was born May 10, 1853, in Wind-
sor township, York county, son of Samuel and j
Maria (Shope) Smith. M

Samuel Smith was born in Windsor town- ■
ship in 1832, and after completing his educa- 1
tion in the common schools engaged in farm-
ing, which occupation he followed through life.
His last years were passed in retirement at
Windsorville, where he died in 1893, aged six-
ty-one years. In politics he was a Democrat,
and served as township supervisor several times
and as school director. He married Maria
Shope, born in 1852 in Windsor townsh'ip, J
daughter of Peter and Kate (Lebenight) ■
Shope. Mrs. Smith still survives, having
reached the age of seventy-four years. Their
children were as follows : Reuben T. ; Frank,
of ^Vindsorville ; Rebecca Jane, who died aged
twenty years; Samuel S., a merchant at Wind-
sorville ; and Amanda, Mrs. Edwin Sprenkle.

Reuben T. Smith was reared on the home
farm and commenced his schooling at "Wind-
sorville, his first teacher being Jacob Flinch-
baugh. He completed his education under
Grier Barnett, at the age of fifteen years. When
he was eighteen years old he began to learn
the milling business under W. G. Meads, in
AVindsor township, following that vocation for
four years and operating the Jacob Allison
mill. He then made cigars for ten or twelve
years and later worked at cigar packing for
seventeen years. Thus Mr. Smith became
thoroughly experienced in the business, and
was well prepared for competition with other
business men when he started in for himself
in 1 90 1, in the factory now utilized by F. B.
Shindler, at Red Lion. In the fall of 1903 he
mo\'ed into his present commodious, well-ap-
pointed factory, where he keeps twenty-five
hands constantly employed, making a medium
grade principally and shipping to all parts of
the country. After leaving the mill he resided
at Windsorville until 1889, when he settled at
Red Lion.

At Windsorville, in 1875, Mr. Smith was
married to Lizzie E. Herman, of Windsor
township, daughter of Samuel E. and Sarah
(Bull) Herman, and these children were born
to this union : Burt C, of Red Lion, who mar-
ried Sadie Grim ; Irene, Mrs. C. E. Smith, of



i



BIOGRAPHICAL



7S9



Red Lion; Thomas C, of Red Lion, wlio mar-
ried Sadie Roser; Augustus; Daisy Belle;
Edwin H.; Maggie G. ; Harry C.; Reuben
Roy; Earl, deceased; Verna Romaine; Leone;
and Mina. Mr. Smith and his family belong
to the U. B. Church. He believes in the prin-
ciples of the Democratic party, and is serving
his second term on the school board. For the
past quarter of a century he has been a mem-
ber of the I. O. O. F., and is past grand
of his lodge.

DANIEL S. GROSS is a carpenter in
York, and is employed at Herman Noss's
planing- mill. He was born in West Manches-
ter township, June 4, 1843, ^on of Samuel M.
Gross.

Daniel Gross, the grandfather of Daniel
S. Gross, was a native of Manchester town-
ship, where he was a lifelong farmer. He
married Miss Elizabeth Myers, and they had
these children: Benjamin; Daniel; Eliza, who
married Andrew Hake; Louisa, deceased, who
lived in Manchester borough ; Samuel M., the
father of Daniel S., and Sarah, who married
John Shettel.

Samuel M. Gross was, like his father, a
native of Manchester township, where he was
born in 1814. There he was a farmer and
miller, and died at the age of thirty-three years,
leaving his widow, who had been Elizabeth
Shettel, with these children : Daniel S. ;
Amanda, wife of Peter Schindle, of Golds-
boro ; Caroline, wife of S. L. Glatfelter, of
Conewago township ; and William S., who is
employed with Hench & Dromgold.

Daniel S. Gross attended Bear's school in
Conewago, where he received a fair education.
He followed farming until Aug. 24, 1864,
when he enlisted in Company D, 200th P. V.
I., in the nine months service. On his discharge
he returned to Conewago township, where he
learned the carpenter's trade. On Nov. 24,
1868, he married Salome C. E. Hake, daughter
of Henry and Emma (Vandersloot) Hake,
afterward locating in Harrisburg for a year
and working at his trade. He then returned to
Conewago township, where he was occupied
in agricultural pursuits on the we'll laiown
Hake farm, remaining there thirty years and
coming to York in 190 1. Since that year he
has been engaged with Herman Noss, and
makes his home at No. 219 Carlisle avenue,
York. The children born to Mr. and JNIrs.



Gross have been : Emma Isabella, the widow
of Daniel G. Neiman; Laura H., wife of J..
Allen Altland, who lives in West York bor-
ough, and Annie H., at home. In politics Mr,
Gross is a Republican. He is a member of the
Union Lutheran Church, of York. His fra-
ternal connection is with York Post, Xo.
2i7, Grand Army of the Republic.

Frederick Hake, the grandfather of Mrs.
Gross, was a resident of Conewago township,
and kept a hotel there, and, although there is
no hostelry there now, the place is still called
"Hake's Hotel." Mr. Hake was also a farmer
and a manufacturer of cigars. His children
were Henry, John, Andrew, Elizabeth, Julian
and Sallie. Henry Hake, the father of Mrs.
Gross, also kept the hotel in Conewago town-
ship, and, like his father, also engaged in farm-
ing, being a very large land owner. Prior to
his death he lived retired for a number of
years. Both he and his wife are buried at
Ouickel's churchyard. They left these children :
Salome C. E., who became Mrs. Gross; Emma
Isabella, who died at the age of eighteen years;
and Louise H., the wife of Franklin Reeser, ot
York.

JOHN W. MITZEL, proprietor of Mit-
zel's mills and a successful business man of
East Hopewell township, was born one mile
south of Hellam Station, on the Liephart
farm, Sept. 24, 1863, son of Adam Mitzel.

Adam IMitzel was born in Hopewell tou-n-
ship, York county, and grew up to farm labor.
He went to Hellam township, there married
Mary Ann Sprenkle, and afterward rented a
farm for several years, finally aliandoning agri-
culture and living in York, where he died in
1899. Mrs. Mitzel survived until 1902, when
she passed away, and both were interre 1 at
Kreutz Creek church. In religion the family-
were Lutherans. In his political sympathies
Mr. Mitzel was a Republican. They were the
parents of these children: Jacob F., James E.,
and William H., of York ; Ellen, Mrs. J. W.
Brenneman, living near Yorkana ; John W.,
of East Hopewell township, and George A.,
who located in California.

John W. Mitzel reached manhood in his
native place and attended the township schools
there until eighteen years of age. Although
reared as a farmer's boy, at twenty years of
age he commenced to learn the miller's trade
with George W. Dietz and Flenry Liephart.



760



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



He began milling at tlie Strickler mill in
Chanceford township, and remained there for
one year, at the end of which time he entered
the George Liephart mill, where he spent four
years, after which he remained for eight years
at the Smyser mill near York. While there,
in company with Henry Liephart, he engaged
in the warehouse business, at the Bender ware-
house, York. At the end of six months they
dissolved partnership, Mr. Mitzel purchasing-
Mr. Liephart's interest and removing the busi-
ness to the Joe Miller warehouse, corner of
Philadelphia and Carlisle streets. He was
there but two weeks, when the building was
damaged by a cyclone. When Mr. Mitzel as-
sumed the business at the warehouse, it had
been greatly decreased, but the new manager
put new life into it. To enlarge the business,
Mr. Mitzel, William A. Smyser and William
H. Butts founded the Smyser, Butts & Mitzel
Co., and this association continued for two
years, when Mr. Mitzel sold his interest to his
partners and took charge of the Loucks mill
at Hellam Station. There he remained eight
years. In the fall of 1902 he purchased his
present mill and farm, and since that time has
been successfully engaged in their joint man-
agement. The mill was built over one hundred
years ago. At the time of making the abo\'e
purchase, Mr. Mitzel also bought the Rainbow
mill and farm, one-quarter of a mile from his
home. This latter mill was erected by William
Mitzel, one of his relatives, about fifty-five
years ago.

Mr. Mitzel is a self-made man. Lea^'ing■
home at the age of nineteen, to work as a mil-
ler at seven dollars per month, he is now the
owner of 268 acres of farm land, of two mills,
and of a constantly increasing- business. Every
dollar of his present competency has been ac-
quired honestly and laboriously. Fortune show-
ered no special favors on him; he saw business
possibilities and was quick to accept them. He
is very well known in the community in which
he resides, and is highly respected.

Mr. Mitzel was reared to the faith of the
Lutheran Church, and is a member of the or-
ganization at Hellam. He is a stanch Repub-
hcan, and is serving his first year as school
director of his township, having served two
years in that capacity while in Hellam town-
ship. He was formerly a member of the P. O.
S. of A. Mr. Mitzel was married in York,
Feb . 26, 1888, to Miss .Vlberta C. Beecher,



born in Adams Co., Pa., daughter of Calvin
Beecher, and to this union the following chil-
dren were born : Daisy Maude ; Nora Ann,
who died at the age of six years ; Mabel
Beecher; and Paul Edgar. Mrs. Mitzel died
May 27, 1 901, and is buried at Kreutz Ci'eek
church, Hellam township.

JOHN ANDREW STROMINGER, of
Fairview township, who devotes his entire time
to ag-ricultural pursuits, was born Oct. 6, 1846,
on the old homestead in the township named
and upon which he now resides, son of John
.and Rachel (Kilmore) Strominger. He at-
tended the public schools of the township until
about seventeen years of age and assisted his
father on the home farm. In 1873 he married
Adeline Eichelberger, daughter of John and
Jane (Eckels) Eichelberger, both of whom
died in Andersontown, where they are both
buried. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs.
Strominger located on the old homestead,
which they bought in 1878. The farm con-
sists of 102 acres of fine farm land, and the
house (which was built in 1854) and the barn
(built in 1850) are both good, substantial
structures of stone. Mr. Strominger has pros-
pered, having devoted all of his life to farming
operations, and is considered one of the sub-
stantial men of his community.

The children born to Mr. and Mrs. John
A. Strominger were as follows : Sibbie Jane,
who died at the age of twenty-five years, is
buried at St. John's cemetery in Fairview town-
ship, and was the wife of Charles Bonner;
and Carrie Elizabeth, who resides at home. In
his political associations Mr. Strominger is a
Democrat! Both he and his wife are very
highly esteemed in the community, and he is
justly reg-arded as a good, useful citizen.

JOHN MEISENHELTER, a retired
farmer of Manchester township, who is now
living in North York borough, has for a num-
ber of years been one of York county's success-
ful men. He was born Jan. 8, 1853, son of
David H. and Mary (Sipe) Meisenhelter.

Henry Meisenhelter, the grandfather, was
born in York county, where he engaged in
farming and distilling in Conewago township
until his death, which occurred in his fifty-
seventh year. He was buried in Conewago
township. The children born to him and his
wife were : George, Levy, Henry, Rebdcca,



BIOGRAPHICAL



761



Mary, Leah, Lovina, Harriet and David H.
David H. Meisenlielter was born in 181 5
in Conewago township, and received very little
education. He followed farming in Conewago
township and died in 1897, at York, Pa. He
married Mary Sipe, who died in 1883. and is
buried at Quickel's Church. The following-
children were born to them : one who died in
infancy ; Margaretta died aged seven years ;
Henry died at the age of seventeen years ; Mary
married (first) J. M. Kilmore, (second) Eli
F. Knaub, and lives in York; and John.

John Meisenhelter received his education
in Conewago township, attending school until
he was seventeen years of age and subsequently
removing to Indiana and Illinois, where he fol-
lowed farming for four years. He then re-
turned to York county and engaged in farm-
ing, was in business from 1882 to 1884, and
th&n moving to Lewisberry borough there
continued his successful mercantile career from
1884 until 1897. He then commenced milling
and farming in Manchester township, and in
1904 located in North York borough, where he
has since lived retired from active labors.

In 1882 Mr. Meisenhelter married Celinda
K. Stouch, daughter of Samuel and Lydia
(Yost) Stouch, of Dover borough, and these
children have been born to them : F. P. married
Flora Grim and lives in North York ; Maggie
married Tempest Baublitz and lives in North
York: William H., who married Lizzie Jor-
dan, is a graduate- of the York County Acad-
emy and a teacher at Lightner's school ; David
S. is a stenographer; Lydia Mabel and Mary
May (twins), Robert Guy, Edna M. and
George Dewey all reside at home. In politics
Mr. Meisenhelter is a Democrat, and while in
Manchester township was school director. The
family are members of the Lutheran Church,
and are active in its support.

ALVIN L. MENGES, senior member of
the firm of A. L. Menges & Brother, mill
proprietors of Jackson township, is one of
the leading business men and orominent
citizens of Meng'es Mills. The mills have .;
history dating back to 1793, when they were
built by a Mr. Hershey, on the waters of the
Codorus creek. They have been in operation
ever since, and for a number of years were
owned by the late Peter H. Menges, father of
the present partners and formerly a substantial
retired business man of Menges Mills. In



1890 a complete roller system was inaugurated
and other repairs made, until this plant is now
one of the best equipped in the county. The
firm does merchant and custom milling, by
water and steam power, and the capacity is
from thirty-five to forty barrels a day.

Alvin L. Menges is a native of York coun-
ty, being born on the old Menges homestead
in Heidelberg township, Dec. 13, 1870, and is
the second son of Peteir H. and Catherine
(Hinkle) Menges. His mother was born in
Columbia, Lancaster Co., Pa., April 27i, 1837,
eldest daughter of Isaac and Elizabeth (Mc-
Gile) Hinkle, natives of Lancaster county.
Mr. and Mrs. Peter H. Menges settled at
Menges Mills the same year that Alvin was
born. The Melnges originated in Germany,
the Hinkles in Germany, and the McGiles in
Scotland, and the brothers of the present firm
appear to have inherited many of the virtues
and excellent characteristics of these nations,
although they are true Americans.

Alvin L. Menges was educated in the dis-
trict schools and the Baugher Academy of
Hanover, a private school, spending three
years at the latter institution. He then took
a commercial course at the Bacheldor's Busi-
ness College, York, and, thus equipped, as-
sisted his father in the conduct of the mill.
Later, Peter H. Menges turned the manage-
ment over to his son, and in 1896 the present
partnership, under the existing style, was
formed, the junfer member being William H.
Menges. The senior partner is a thoroughly
practical miller, is conversant with every de-
tail of the business, and is well and favorably
known to the trade. The mill is conveniently
located in one of the best wheat belts of Penn-
sylvania, and commands a large business.

On Feb. 25, 1896, Mr. Menges was mar-
ried to Eva L. Tanger, of Hanover, daughter
of David and Elizabeth (Hersch) Tanger.
Two children have been born of this union,
David L. and Elizabeth, but the latter is now
deceased. In politics Mr. !\Ieng'es is a Repub-
lican, but has no time to aspire to public office.
He and his wife are consistent members of
St. Paul's Lutheran Church, of Spring Grove.
In addition to his milling business. Mr.
Menges operated his father's farm of one
hundred acres, while the elder Menges li\-ed;
it is now operated by his three sons. As al-
ways, he is a very busy, enterprising man.

William H. Menges, the junior member



-62



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



of the milling firm of A. L. Menges & Bro.,
Avas educated in the district school in Heidel-
berg township, and later attended the Baugher
private academy, at Hanover, for one year.
The following two years he passed at the York
County Academy, York, where he prepared
for the college at Gettysburg. Entering the
classical course he was graduated therefrom
in the class of 1896. Returning home, he en-
tered into partnership with his brother, as be-
fore stated. For years, he was at Spring
Grove, in charge of the warehouse there, and
he has proved himself thoroughly conversant
with business methods.

The business house of A. L. Menges &
Brother enjoys an enviable reputation for
straightforward dealings, and the product
turned out by the mill is of such superior qual-
ity that a ready market is found at all times.

HENRY KNAUB, salesman of musical
instruments, was born in Manchester township,
York county, in 1848, son of George Knaub.
His great-grandfather came from Germany
and settled in Conewago township, York Co.,
Pa., being the founder of the Knaub family
in this country. He was a farmer by occupa-
tion and died in Conewago township.

Daniel Knaub, his son, was a stone-mason
by trade living in Newberry township, near
Newberrytown, and many barns and houses
still stand in that section as evidences of his
good workmanship. He die(i in Conewago
township, at the age of seventy-three years,
and was buried at Ouickel's Church. Daniel
Knaub married Eva Brunner, who died aged
about seventy-nine years. They had these
children : George, Elizabeth, Mary, Sarah,
Katie, Lydia, Annie and Daniel, all of whom
are deceased except Daniel, a resident of Man-
chester township.

George Knaub, the father of Henry, was
born in 1820, in Conewago township, where
he was a farmer, and for a number of years
followed teaming to Baltimore. He married
Elizabeth Ort, daughter of John and Sarah
(Wilhelm) Ort. After marriage he worked
the George Smyser farm in Manchester town-
ship; then spent two years on George New-
man's farm, located in Conewago township
near Ouickel's church, and afterward moved
to the Henry Smyser farm, aljout four miles
from York, where he died in 1853, and was
buried at Quickel's church. His wife died



Feb. 27, 1902, and is interred in the Prospect
Hill cemetery. Their children were : Wil-
liam, a carpenter by trade, who married Re-
becca Ruby, and resides in California; Henry;
George, an engineer, who died in February,
1903, leaving a widow, formerly Amanda Got-
walt.

Henry Knaub attended the schools of
Manchester township, the Brillinger school and
the York County Academy, and was then em-
ployed by P. A. & S. Small from 1869 to 1873.
At that time he engaged in the mercantile busi-
ness in York, at the corner of Penn and Mar-
ket streets, where he remained three and one-
half years, and later with E. C. Beck, at No.
19 West Market street, in wholesale and retail
groceries and liquors. He was then with a
Mr. Bender for over three years, and from
1879 to 1884 was employed by Mr. Hoffman
at the One Price Clothing House of York. In
1884 he engaged with the Weaver Organ &
Piano Company, with which firm he remained
twenty years, selling organs and pianos
throughout Pennsylvania, Delaware and Mary-
land, and doing- a large business in seventeen
counties of those States. Mr. Knaub had a
fine record, selling at retail $285,000 worth of
goods, drove 100,000 miles and traveled by
rail 120,000 miles. Mr. Knaub is well known
throughout the surrounding country, and is
very highly esteemed. In 1905 he severed his
connection with the Weaver Organ & Piano
Company, since which time he has been selling
musical instruments around York. Mr. Knaub
resides at No. 433 West Philadelphia street,
in the house which he remodelled to suit his
own taste.

In 1872 Mr. Knaub married Ameatha
Martin, daug'.-ter of Abraham and Louisa
(Menges) Martin, and to this union have
been born : Charles H., who learned the ma-
chinist's trade with A. B. Farcjuhar and the
York Manufacturing Company, is now located
in New York City, engaged in the automobile
business; Luther M., a painter and paper
hanger by trade, resides in Long Island, N. Y. ;
Saide E., the wife of Otto W. Gertz, lives at
Williamsport, Pa. ; and Warren G., died at
the age of five years and seven days and was
l)uried at Prospect Hill cemetery. In politics
Mr. Knaub is a Republican, but has never
sought office. He is a member of the Luth-
eran Church, in which he has filled all of the
offices. Mr. Knaub is strictly temperate in his



BIOGRAPHICAL



7^^7>



habits, having never used tobacco in any form,
nor indulged in strong drinks or intoxicating
liquors. He is very highly respected wher-
ever known for his many sterling traits of
character, and he possesses a reputation for
honesty and fair dealing that might be envied
by any man. A good citizen, a practical busi-
ness man, and a Christian gentleman, Henry
Knaub is surely a representative of the best
type of York county's citizens.

NOAH MARKEL, manufacturer and
dealer in fertilizers at Seitzland, York coun-
ty, was born Sept. 21, 1844, in Shrewsbury,
that county, a son of Henry and Catherine
(Kunkle) Markel. Peter Markel, the pater-
nal grandfather, was an old resident of York
county who was well and favorably known
throughout Shrewsbury township, being the
owner of considerable land and a farmer there
for many years. Of his children, his sons
(Henry, Peter and John) were all well known.
One daughter married William Fair ; another,
Michael Bortner; a third, Samuel Fair, a
brother of William, and a fourth, a Mr. Shue.
On the maternal side the grandfather was
Henry Kunkle and he was also a farmer in
Shrewsbury township. His three children
were : Joseph Charles, Catherine, and Susan,
who married a Mr. Hershner. Henry Markel,



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 145 of 201)