George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 147 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 147 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

sure absolute -thoroughness. Among his more
important contracts are those for the Maul
buildings on George street, the Country Club,
Claude Graver's residence, a row of eighteen
dwellings on Hayes street, and the Mayer
building. He has also done much remodelling.

The family residence was built in 1900, and is
a model modern house.

In 1886 occurred Mr. Werner's marriage
to Miss Augusta Webel, daughter of August
Webel, and to this union ten children have
been born, of whom three — Charliei,' Louise
and Florence — have died. The living are
George, John, Frank, Julia, Walter, Clarence
and Willie. Mr. and Mrs. Werner are mem-
bers of the German Lutheran Church, and the
former belongs to the Heptasophs.

master at Woodbine, and also agent for the
Adams Express Company at that place, comes
of good York county stock.

William Ilgenfritz, his father, was born in
York in 1812, son of Daniel and Elizabeth
(Deitch) Ilgenfritz. At the age of fifteen, hav-
ing acquired a substantial training in the rudi-
ments of an education, he became clerk for his
uncle, Mr. Barber, who was then prothonotary.
He afterward succeeded to that office, and for
two terms filled it with great credit. In 1864.
he removed to Lower Chanceford and pur-
chased a 500-acre farm on the present site of
Woodbine, on the Peach Bottom railroad. On
Nov. 28, 1839, he married Elizabeth B. Don-
aldson, of Baltimore, and they had three chil-
dren: Alice C, who married Cyrus Calvin,,
and is deceased; William J., who married, Jan.
II, 1883, Annie J. Boyd; and James Edward.
William Ilgenfritz, the father, died in 1877. In
politics he was a Democrat, and socially be-
longed to the I. O. O. F. Mrs. Elizabeth B.
(Donaldson) Ilgenfritz died April 17, 1893, a.
faithful communicant of St. John's Episcopal
Church at York.

James Edward Ilgenfritz was born in York
City March 4, 1852, and his native city was his
home until he was nearly fourteen years old.
Then he accompanied his parents to Woodbine,
and on the farm there grew to manhood. His
early teachers were James Kell and Mr. Austin,
and his education was completed by four terms
in Pleasant Grove Academy, in Lower Chance-
ford. After leaving school he spent four years
in car building in the Empire Car Works and
with Schall & King, his uncle, George W.
Ilgenfritz, holding a large interest in the lat-
ter firm. Returning home, he was appointed
postmaster, station agent and express agent.
Seven years ago he resigiied as station agents
but still holds the other two positions. Mr.



Ilgenfritz is industrious, and as he owns and
manages a large amount of. property inherited
from his father, his industry is put to a thor-
ough test.

In 1876, at Woodbine, Mr. Ilgenfritz was
married to Julia C. Blaine, of Fawn township,
daughter of Moses and Sarah (Bulette)
Blaine, both now deceased. Two children
were born of this union : Joy A., who married
Ivan White, of Bel Air, Md., and has two chil-
dren, Juliet A. and Janet M. ; and Bayard List,
living at home. Mr. Ilgenfritz was reared in
the Episcopal faith in York, and although after
the removal of the family to Woodbine they
found no parish of that church there, he has
joined no other denomination. Like his father
he is a Democrat, stanch and true, and always
interested in his party's success. He is hon-
orable and upright in his methods, and merits
the good will accorded him.

FRANK C. HIESTAND, proprietor of a
livery and sales stable at Spring Grove, Jack-
son township, and one of the substantial busi-
ness men of the community, was born on a farm
in Heidelberg township, York county, Nov.
20, 1857, son of William and Rebecca (DoUj

William Hiestand was born in Spring
Garden, York county, in 18 14, and was a pro-
gressive and successful farmer, who died in
1892 and was buried in York cemetery. His
farm, which contained 200 acres, was situated
in Heidelberg township, and was justly rec-
ognized as one of the best in that portion of
York county. He was a man who took a lively
interest in the raising of high-grade stock : and
he supplied his farm with the latest improved
machinery, and conducted it upon modern
methods. The excellent house, barns, outbuild-
ings and fences, were all erected by him. His
principal crop was wheat, of which he was an
extensive grower. Throughout York county,
Mr. Hiestand was widely known and uni-
versally esteemed for his many sterling traits
of character. Mrs. Hiestand was also born in
York county, in the vicinity of New Salem, in
1 82 1, and she is still living, making her home
in York with her daughter, Mrs. Dietz. She
is a daughter of Henry and Barbara Doll. The
following children were born to William and
Rebecca Hiestand : Herbert, of Red Lion ;
Annie, wife of Alexander Dietz; Mary, wife
of Jacob Liebenknight ; Frank C. ; Byrd J., of

Foustown ; and Maggie, wife of George

Abraham Hiestand, his grandfather, was
also a native of York county, and a farmer, al-
though in his earlier days he was a distiller.
His farm was well-stocked, and one of the
model ones of his day. His family was a large
one and he was three times married.

Frank C. Hiestand was reared upon the
farm, and attended the school of his district
until he was eighteen, when he commenced as-
sisting his father on the farm, thus continuing
until he was twenty-five years of age. Then
he married, and settled in Heidelberg town-
ship to engage in farming and stock-raising.
At the time of the death of his father he pur-
chased the old homestead of 200 acres, situated
two miles west of Spring Grove in Heidelberg
township. The farm is a magnificent one, sup-
plied with good buildings, well stocked and fur-
nished with excellent machinery. Mr. Hiestand
devotes much of his time to buying and selling
horses and mules, many of which he gets from
Kentucky and sells to farmers and other horse
dealers. In addition to his other interests, Mr.
Hiestand is a stockholder and director of the
First National Bank of Spring Grove. Taking
a deep interest in educational matters, he has
served on the school board, and is a man
widely and favorably known, standing very
high in the community.

In 1881 Mr. Hiestand married ]\Iiss Emma?'.
Yingerj of Manchester, Pa., a daughter of John,
and Nancy (Good) Yinger, and a native o£'
York county. The Yinger family is a . very
old one in America, as is also the Hiestand
family. The American founder of the latter
was Abraham, who at an early date emigrated
from his native land, Germany, to America and
became one of the pioneer settlers of York
county, Pa. Since that time the representa-
tives of the famil}' have been honorable, up-
right, Christian gentlemen, whg have enjoyed
widespread respect and esteem, and who have
been successful in the several lines of business
with which they have identified themselves. Mr.
Hiestand is a stanch Democrat, as were his an-
cestors before him. Fraternally he is a member
of the Knig-hts of the Mystic Chain and of the
fraternal insurance order known as "True

29, 1862, in Rowlandville. Cecil Co., Md., son



of Moses N. and Margaret (Moore) Gillespie.
His boyhood was Spent in Maryland, and he
learned the laundry business at Baltimore, with
C. A. Wysong, who operated the People's
laundry in that city. Mr. Gillespie then de-
cided to embark in business on his own account,
and came to York in 1891, as a stranger, and
on April 15th of that year, established the busi-
ness at No. 242 West Market street. He re-
mained there lour years and then purchased
the property on which he is now located at
No. 270 West Market street, the building being
reconstructed in 1904. It is known as the
People's Laundry. Mr. Gillespie erected his
first laundry in 1895, the building being
40 X 1 5 feet, two stories in height, the present
structure being built in 1901 ; it is a three-story
brick building, 1 10 x 15 feet, and is ecjuipped
with all modern machinery. Mr. Gillespie has
a full corps of employees and operates a number
of outside agencies, extending- to some of the
northern counties of Maryland. His business
is a decided success, and he is a thoroughly
competent man in his chosen line.

In 1903 Mr. Gillespie was. married in York
to Miss Sarah Isabelle Barrett, daughter of
James and Sarah Barrett, and they have one
child, Nellie C. Mr. and Mrs. Gillespie are
members of Grace Reformed Church of York.
Fraternally he is affiliated with the Royal Ar-
canum, Codorus Council, No. 2091.

manufacturer of Lower Windsor, township,
York county, was born July 30, 1866, on a
farm in Yoid-: township, son of Jacob R. and
Angelina (Peters) Wambaugh. He was edu-
cated in the township schools, his first teacher
being George Dunlap, who is a Lutheran
preacher ; his education was concluded at the
age of nineteen years vmder Arthur Sechrist.
While a young man Mr. Wambaugh learned
the cigar making trade with Henry Wise, and
began business for himself in 1894, at what is
now Golden, his force consisting of three em-
ployees. Mr. Wambaugh engaged in the mer-
cantile business at Golden and Yorkana for
about three years, and then, some two years
ago, returned to the manufacture of cigars,
which he has since continued. Since he was
twenty-four years of age, Mr. Wambaugh has
been active in politics, casting his first vote
for President Cleveland. In religion be is
connected with the Evangelical Church, of

which he is a valued member. He is considered
one of the well-to-do, up-to-date business men
of the township in which he is generally known
and most highly respected.

On Aug. 4, 1890, in Springetsbury town-
ship, Mr. Wambaugh was married to Miss A.
Ream, who died Feb. 16, 1900, leaving one
child, Helen Ruth. His second marriage was
on May 25, 1902, to Virginia M. Thomas,
daughter of Jacob Thomas, and they have had
two children — Martha May and Mary Ellen.
Jacob Thomas, the lather of Mrs. Wam-
baugh, was born Dec. 20, 1824, in Hellam
township, son of Jacob and Mary (Young)
Thomas. Mr. Thomas attended school until
the age of nineteen years, assisting on the
farm during his spare time. He learned
the carpenter's trade with P. W. Keller,
of Lower Windsor township, and fol-
lowed that vocation for thirty or forty
years, for about twenty years of the period be-
ing a contractor and building some of the finest
residences and barns in the township. Mr.
Thomas lived in various places until 1882,
when he located in Lower Windsor township,
on the York road, near Delroy, and remained
here until 1895 when he started to build the
home which he now occupies. He has twenty
acres of land, which he has under a fine state
of cultivation, being a successful farmer and
contractor of thirty years' f^xperience. Mr.
Thomas was reared in the faith of the United
Evangelical Church. His political faith finds
its best expression in the Republican party's

On Dec. 18. 1856, Mr. Thomas married
in Hellam township, Rebecca Crumling, daugh-
ter of Adam and Magdalena (Sloat) Crum-
ling, of Hellam township, and these children
have been born to the union : Clayton, of
Lower Windsor township, married a Miss
Leber, daughter of Jacob Leber ; Weston Seth,
of York, married a Miss Paules ; Elmer E.
married a Miss Big-gings ; Emma married El-
mer Miller, of York; Virgie May is the wife
of Mr. Wambaugh ; Annie married Frank
Reisinger, and resides at home ; Abner resides
in York; and two died in infancy.

LIN, although a resident of York county for
less than a decade, has in that time proved him-
self an enterprising business man. A descendant
of Scotch ancestrv, his grandfather emigrated



to Canada and there the father, Alexander A.,
and in turn his son, Alexander E., were born.

Alexander A. McLauchlin was a large land
owner and real estate dealer, who also carried
on an extensive tanning and shoe business and
later in life was interested in lumber and mill-
ing. His death occurred in February, 1896,
during- a tour through Canada, at a town called
Oakwood, Ontario. His wife, whose maiden
name was Edna Pearson, followed him in May
of the next year, and both are buried at Oak-
wood, in a cemetery that he gave to the town.
The children born to them were : William E. ;
George, who died in infancy ; Susan C. ; Flora
J. ; Joseph H., who died at Brandon, Canada,
in 1898; Alma E. ; Bayard T., who was
drowned at the age of seven ; Alexander E. ;
Ida, who was killed in childhood by the fall of
a shed; Cora B. and Alice C. (twins) ; Edgar
E. ; and Ada M.

Alexander E. McLaughlin was born at
Oakwood, Ontario, Nov. 14, 1859. Until he
was sixteen his education was carried on in the
public schools, but after that time he attended
the Albert College at Belleville, Ont., and was
graduated with the class of 1880. Mr. Mc-
Lauchlin's business life began as a clerk, but
after six months in that capacity he went to
Toledo, Ohio, as lumber inspector for G. W.
Hubbard; after a year there, in the latter part
of 1 88 1 he removed to Victoria and Winnipeg
in a similar position, but eventually returned
home and bought a half interest in a large
stone quarry owned by his father. For a year
he gave his entire attention to this enterprise,
then in turn was in Detroit, Mich., in Toronto,
in Port Huron for a year with the Chicago
& Grand Trunk Railway, in Canada again for
three years in a government position, and then
in New York City for eight months. On Feb.
10, 1896, Mr. McLauchlin came to York Ha-
ven as superintendent of the Conewago Manu-
facturing Co., remaining" with that concern
until it suspended business. His next engage-
ment was with the York Haven Paper Mill,
and then in the spring of 1901 he accepted his
present position as secretary and treasurer of
the Suscjuehanna Roofing Manufacturing Co.
His interest in the plant has alwa3's been keen,
as he was one of those who founded it, and he
is a director and stockholder of the company.
Mr. McLauchlin has been very successful in
his enterprises, and is justly ranked among
the substantial men of his communitv.

In 1887 Mr. McLauchlin was united in
marriage to Cecelia M. Wellwood, daughter
of William and Elizabeth (Finley) Well-
wood. Their only child, Wellwood G., was
born July 20, 1901. Mr. McLauchlin is a
member of the United Brethren Church, and is
prominent in its work, as he is secretary of the
Sunday-school, and has been both president and
recording secretary of the Y. P. C. U. He is a
member of the K. of P., I. O. O. F., and
Knights of Maha.

JAMES C. PEELING, proprietor and
manager of a bakery at No. 113 North Queen
street, York, is a native of the township of
York, born near Dallastown, April 20, 1851,
son of James and Sarah (Inners) Peeling.

James Peeling, the father, was born in
1823, and passed his whole life in York county.
At first engaged in farming, he afterward fol-
lowed the occupation of a well-digger and still
later became a hotel keeper. He first conducted
the "Farmers' Hotel" in York, remaining there
two years and a half before removing to the
"Caslow House." While thus engaged Mr.
Peeling was elected sheriff on the county Dem-
ocratic ticket and filled that responsible posi-
tion for three years. The remainder of his life,
which drew to its close in 1895, was passed on
his farm in Conewago township, which con-
sisted of 202 acres and to whose management
he gave his entire attention. An acti\-e worker
in the Democratic party, Mr. Peeling was also
one of the well-known supporters of religious
work, being a member of the Lutheran Church.
Mrs. Sarah (Inners) Peeling, who died in
1871, was the mother of .eight children, viz.:
Sarah (deceased), wife of Theodore Krebs;
Eliza, who married Isaac McDowell, both now
deceased ; Isabelle, Mrs. George Egee, of York ;
Ellen, wife of the late John Cameron, of Balti-
more; James C. ; Isaac, deceased; Alary, Mrs.
Samuel Gallatin, of York; and Rebecca, de-
ceased wife of Frank Westerholts. After the
death of his first wife, Mr. Peeling married
Miss Dorcas Ann Leib, and by her became
the father of seven children, namely: Lucinda,
Mrs. Harry Washers, of York; Joshua, oper-
ator of a stone quarry at Round Town ; Sam-
uel, a farmer in Conewago township; Alfar-
etta, deceased; Martha, Mrs. Ort Falkenrode,
of York; Harris, of the same city; and Ida,
wife of Isaac Bupp.

James C. Peeling was sent to the public


schools, and while still a boy, learned the trade
of basket-weaving. Afterward he worked for a
time on the farm, assisted his father as a well-
digger and a hotel keeper, and, after the latter's
election as sheriff, was appointed turnkey.
A\'hen the term of ofifice was completed, Mr.
Peeling entered upon the business which has
since occupied his entire attention, and in 1890
opened a bakery on South George street. There
he succeeded so well that in 1897 he moved to
his present location, where he built a brick
structure, combining his residence and shop,
with a bake house and stable in the rear. He
does a general bakery business, and also fills
orders for weddings and parties, while for the
delivery of his bread-stuffs he keeps three
wagons, so great is the demand upon his sup-
plies. He has been very successful and is one
of the leading bakers in York.

In 1876 Mr. Peeling was united in mar-
riage to Miss Sarah Jane Dick, daughter of
Jacob H. and Charlotte (Wilt) Dick. They
have brought up an adopted child, a nephew,
Charles, the son of William Dick, who, in
1903, was married to Miss Annie Cameron,
by whom he has one child, James. Mr. and
Mrs. Peeling are) members of the Lutheran
Church. In politics Mr. Peeling is a Demo-
crat, and an active member of the party. He
also belongs to the I. O. R. M., of York.

JESSE GILBERT comes of ancestors who
settled in Lancaster county at an early day and
were descended from John Gilbert, who lived
in the west of Cornwall, England, whence, be-
ing a Quaker, he was banished in 1663 on ac-
count of his faith. For some time he was
imprisoned in Lancaster jail, and then with
others of his faith emigrated to America. Soon
after the grant of Pennsylvania to William
Penn the party of which John Gilbert was a
member settled near what is now Perkasie,
Bucks county. John Gilbert had brought his
wife, Florence, and his two sons, John and
Joseph, the latter being about seven or eight
years old ; and after landing in America an-
other son, Joshua, was born. It is believed
that John Gilbert did not leave the Society of
Friends with the deluded followers of George
Kent. In 1695 he purchased 600 acres of land
from Nicholas Redrone, located in Byberry,
Philadelphia county, Mr. Redrone having
bought it from the original owner and sur-
veyor, Thomas Holmes. Part of this land John

Gilbert sold to John Carver, dividing the re-
mainder between his sons, John and Joseph.

Joseph Gilbert married Rachel Loegy, of
Abington or Lower Dublin, and settled on the
tract of land left him by his father, where he
died Aug. 8, 1765, aged ninety years. After
bearing him several children his first wife died,
and he married (second) Sarah James. JH

Benjamin Gilbert, the youngest son of^^^
Joseph, was born in 171 1, and in June, 1731,
married Sarah, daughter of Benjamin Mason.
By this marriage he had eight children. He
and his wife settled on a tract of land pur-
chased by Mr. Gilbert's father in Richland,
Bucks county, but in 1748 he removed to a
mill in Wakefield, in 1755 removing to his
■father's homestead. His first wife died in
1759, and in 1761 he was ag'ain married, his
second wife being Elizabeth Peart, widow of
Benjamin Peart, and daughter of Benjamin
Walters. Benjamin Gilbert, after settling the
homestead on his sons John and Joshua, re-
moved with the balance of his family to the
wilderness west of the Blue mountains, on lands
he had purchased on Mahoning creek, North-
ampton county, nine miles from the Lehigh
river, this being- Pennsylvania's frontier settle-
ment. There he built a dwelling, barn and
grist and sawmill. Benjamin Peart, the son
of Mr. Gilbert's last wife, had also gone there
to reside, as well as Mr. Gilbert's sons, Thomas
and Jesse, the latter of whom had married a
Bucks county girl. The settlement was sud-
denly surprised by a band of Indians, April
25, 1780. Benjamin was seized and bound
with a strip of bark, which was wound around
his neck and crossed behind his shoulders and
around his arms to deprive him of the use of
his hands. The balance of the men were cap-
tured, the houses and mills plundered, and the
prisoners taken to Niagara, where their release
was purchased by English officers, and they
were sent to Montreal. Benjamin Gilbert died
on the passage down the St. Lawrence, was
taken ashore, and buried June 5, 1780. The
remainder of the family made their way to
Montreal in safety.

Jesse Gilbert, son of Benjamin, and the
grandfather of the Jesse of today, married
Sarah Harding and settled at Bird in Hand,
Lancaster county, where he farmed and fol-
lowed his trade of plow-making. There he
died, as did also his wife, who had been bed-
ridden for twelve years with rheumatism. This



good couple were Quakers. Their children
were: Amos (born among the Indians), mar-
ried Sarah Kirk, and died in Lancaster county ;
Betsey died in infancy; Benjamin, who died in
Colerain, Lancaster county, married Hannah
Rakestraw; Sarah became Mrs. Henry Bush-
ong-, of Lancaster county ; John died in Lancas-
ter county ; Joshua was the father of Jesse ;
and Caroline died aged sixty-four years, in
Chester county.

Joshua Gilbert was born in 1801, at Bird
in Hand, Lancaster county, and there grew to
manhood, receiving a common-school educa-
tion. He read medicine, but never engaged
in the practice of the profession. He learned
pump-making', which he followed extensively,
also engaging occasionally in work on the farm
which he had purchased in Bart township, Lan-
caster county. There he remained until 1864,
when he sold the property and purchased a 200-
acre farm (with his son, Jesse, as partner) in
Upper Oxford township; after selling this he
removed to West Grove, Chester county, where
he died in 1876, at the home of his daughter,
Mrs. Sarah Hagie. In 1824 he married Eliza-
beth Valentine, daughter of John and Mary
(Taylor) Valentine, the former of whom was
a Whig and an anti-slavery man, being active
in the management of "underground railway"
committees. The mother of Mrs. Gilbert died
in 1838. She and her husband were Quakers.
The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert
were as follows : Lydia, Thomas and Anne,
all of whom died in infancy: Mary, Mrs. John
Owen, of Manayunk, Pa. ; Jesse, whose biog-
raphy is below: and Sarah, Mrs. Benjamin
Hagie, deceased.

Jesse Gilbert was born on the homestead
in Bart township, Lancaster county, Aug. 22,
1834, and received his education in the public
schools of that township. He was also taught
by private tutors at home, completing his train-
ing- at the age of twenty-one years. He began
work on the home farm at the age of fourteen
years, being sixteen when he engaged in pump-
making with his father. At that industry he
continued until 1868, when he located on his
present farm in Lower Chanceford township,
which he had purchased from Mary St. Clair
Johnston. The property at that time was in
very poor condition, but Mr. Gilbert has con-
verted his 180 acres into one of the best farms
in the country. Up to the last few years Mr.
Gilbert operated a dairy in connection with his
farm, but this he has discontinued. He raises

fine cattle and stock, at the present time feed-
ing many head.

Mr. Gilbert is a member of the Society of
Friends, while his wife is a Presbyterian.
While he is a Republican, Mr. Gilbert is not
prejudiced and votes more for the person than
the party. He is a man of strong convictions,
and is highly esteemed in the community for
his many sterling traits of character. He was
married June 3, 1867, to Miss Anna Hunter,
who was born in Bart township, Lancaster
county, June 2, 1835. Mrs. Gilbert was edu-
cated in the common schools and the Millers-
ville Normal, and taught school for five years
in Lancaster county.

Mrs. Gilbert's parents were Alexander and
Mary (Park) Hunter, the former of whom was
a native of Ireland, and came to America when
a boy. Mrs. Hunter was reared in Chester
county, Pa., the place of her nativity. Mrs.

Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 147 of 201)