Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 148 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 148 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Gilbert had four brothers in the Civil war,
namely: (_i) George Hunter served six
months. (2) Joseph Hunter, sergeant of
Company C, 5th Pa. Cav., was captured at the
last siege of Richmond, and taken to Anderson-
ville prison, where he was confined several
months. Sick and emaciated — a mere skele-
ton of his former self — he was removed to the
hospital at Florence, where he died Oct. 4,
1864. (3) John A. Hunter served four years
as a private of the 7th Pa. Reserves, belonging
to Company K. He was captured in the first
fight before Richmond and taken to Belle Isle,
where he was detained six months, until he was
exchanged. At the second fight before Rich-
mond he was again captured, being in Ander-
sonville prison from July until December, at
which time he was again exchanged. He
reached home a total physical wreck. John A.
Hunter still survives, in spite of his terrible ex-
periences, and lives at Rising Sun, Md., where
he is known as one of the best millwrights in
the country. (4) James McCammon Hunter,
of Clarion, Pa., was first a private of Com-
pany I, 107th P. V. I., and was wounded at
the battle of Fair Oaks. He re-enlisted in the
5th Artillery, was again wounded and was
sent to the hospital, from which he again joined
his regiment, serving until the close of the
war. He carries two bullets to this day, one in
the right shoulder, and the under his left arm.

MICHAEL ENGLE, contractor and
builder at York, began life a poor boy, with no
capital save brains, energy and courage, and he



774



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



has become one of the prosperous citizens of
the county. He was born Oct. i6, 1849, within
a short distance of the place where he is now
residing in York, son of Joseph and Catherine
(Bucher) Engle.

The Engle family is of French origin.
Joseph Engle was born in York. He was the
son of Joseph, Sr., and Barbara Engle, the
former of whom died in middle life. Joseph
Engle spent his entire life in York, and died in
1 90 1, at the age of seventy-eight years. Fie
made a business of lime burning, and he and
his brother, Jacob, controlled the bulk of that
business in this section of the State, operating
extensively and shipping to various localities.
their kilns being where Prospect Hill cemetery
is now located. Joseph Engle was a public-
spirited man, and was active in the ranks of the
Republican party. In religion he was a mem-
ber of the Moravian Church. He married
Catherine Bucher, who was born in Germany,
and came to America with her parents when
eleven or twelve years old. She is still living
in York, being now upwards of eighty years
old. To Joseph Engle and wife were born the
following children : Jacob, a resident of Grant-
ley street, York, and in the employ of the city ;
Michael; Margaretta; Joseph, a contractor-
plasterer of Philadelphia ; Thomas, a cement
contractor ; Barbara, the wife of Eli Byerts, of
York ; and three that died young.

Michael Engle attended the public schools
until fourteen years old, when the necessity of
self-support compelled him to exchange study
for labor. Until he was nineteen years of age
he worked with his father in the stone quarry,
and then began to learn the trade of a plasterer
with Weigel & Slonaker. At the expiration
of his apprenticeship he associated himself
with Mr. Slonaker, his former employer, under
the firm name of Engle & Slonaker, which
partnership continued for three years, after
which Mr. Engle assumed the business himself.
He conducted it successfully and extensively
for twenty-seven years, during this period hav-
ing some of the heaviest contracts in the city,
among the buildings he has contracted to plas-
ter and finish being the old High School ; Judge
Black's residence; M. B. Spahr's large store;
the Huber corner ; the E. G. Smyser residence ;
the Y. M. C. A. building; two fine residences
for Ed. Chopin ; and the Presbyterian, the First
United Brethren, the Trinity Reformed, the
German Lutheran, the Freystown, St. Paul's



and North York St. Peter's churches. In addi-
tion to those mentioned, he has handled many
others in and around York. Michael Engle
has a business record of which he may well be
proud. He-has always met his obligations
promptly, and never asked his creditors lor an
extension, nor compromised an obligation.
About 1894 Mr. Engle retired from the plas-
tering business and engaged in that of cement
contracting, for the laying of granolithic pav-
ing, in which line he has extensively operated.
Although Mr. Engle has employed a large force
of men, he has always given the detail work
his personal attention. He also engaged in
new line, in connection with his other inter-
ests, having purchased the old York Manufac-
turing plant, where he commenced the manufac-
ture of furniture under the firm name of the
Engle Furniture Works, located at Pennsyl-
vania and Clark Alley. This he sold and pur-
chased a plant in Gettysburg, Pa., where he
has been located since February, 1905. He
employs about twent3'-five hands.

Mr. Engle is a Republican and has been
elected assessor from a ward heavily Demo-
cratic. Notwithstanding his active business
life, Mr. Engle has never been too busy to serve
his city. His predominant quality is to ac-
complish- whatever he undertakes, and his suc-
cess has been marked. In his private life he
belongs to the best element in the community.
He was married Dec. 2^. 1879, to Miss Caro-
line W. Neff, daughter of Charles H.. and Mary
A. (Gist) Nefif. Mrs. Engle's father died May
31, 1903, at the age of sixty-nine years, ten
months and seventeen days, while her mother
passed away Dec. 29, 1884. at the age of forty-
six years and seven months. Charles H. Nefif
was a carriag-e builder of York, where he spent
his entire life except a short time before his
death, which occurred in Florida where he had
gone to recover his health. Mrs. Engle's par-
ents were blessed with three children : T.
Harry, a resident of Columbus, Ohio, is a con-
tractor for the Frick Manufacturing Company,
of Waynesboro ; H. Edith ; and Caroline W.
is the wife of Mr. Engle.

Mrs. Engle's grandfather was Henry Nef¥,
son of Henry Neff, the founder of the family
in York. The elder Henry Nefif established a
carriage-making plant at York on Beaver
street, where the Central market stands. After
his death, his son Henry erected a second story
to the shop and operated it until his son, Charles



BIOGRAPHICAL



775



H., the father of Mrs. Engle. took the estate,
this being about 1855. Here Charles H^ Neff
remained for a time and then built a carriage
shop on Philadelphia street, the largest in York.
After a time he sold both places, retired from
active life and moved into the country. He was
a Republican, although his father was a mem-
ber of the Democratic party. Mr. NefT was one
of the progressive men of the city, being a pro-
moter of the first building and loan association
of York, which was established in 1869. ■ At
one time Mr. Neff was the secretary of seven
building and loan associations and for years
was the main factor in the local organizations.
He was a member of Mt. Zion Lodge, of the
York I. O. O. F., and of St. Paul's Lutheran
Church. Mr. NefT married the daughter of
Thomas W. and Harriet (Smith) Gist, of Bal-
timore Co., Md. The grandmother Xeff was
a Miss Henrietta M. Knoderer. born in France,
where her father was a wea\-er. After leaving
her home near Mont Blanc, France, she came
to America and settled in York county.

Mr. and Mrs. Michael Engle are the par-
ents of four children : Charles J., a machinist,
and Mary E., Paul E. and Henrietta NefT, all
■living at home. They are members of St.
Paul's Lutheran Church, and their youngest
son, Paul E. Engle, has a record for attendance
at the Sabbath school of which he may justly
be proud, having never missed a service in a
period of eleven years. Mr. Engle is a mem-
ber of Mt. Zion's Lodge No. 474, I. O. O. F. ;
Mount Vernon Encampment, No. 14, I. O. O.
F. ; Livingston Council, No. 925, Junior Order
LTnited American Mechanics ; the Chosen
Knights Commandery, Knights of Malta, and
Good Shepherd Lodge No. 4, Star of Bethle-
hem. He has been identified with these numer-
ous fraternal organizations for manv years,
ha\-ing especially filled the chairs of Odd Fel-
lowship, and has always been noted for the zeal
with which he has promoted their objects and
lived up to their rules.

McC. B. KRAFT,, station agent for the
Pennsylvania Railway Company at Spring-
Grove, York coun/ty, is decidedly the right
man in the right place, so popular is he not only
with the road, but with all its patrons, because
of his courteous and obliging ways, and his
thorough capability. His birth .took place in
York county, in the vicinity of Jefferson, July
3, 1863, and he is a son of Jesse and Lucinda
(Baughman) Kraft.



George Kraft, father of Jesse and grand-
father of McClellan B., was also a native of
York county, Pa., and a farmer and merchant
widely known throughout Heidelberg town-
ship. Jesse Kraft was born in \'ork county,
Aug. 5, 1828, and became a farmer, miller and
merchant, operating for many years wh.nt is
known as Kraft's mill in Heidelberg township.
Now he is living retired, highly respected by
all. His wife, Lucinda Baughman, was born
near Lineboro, York county, in 1832, a daugh-
ter of Henry and Elizabeth (Bricker) Baugh-
man, and she died in 1875. They were the
parents of nine children : Emma. .Mice, George
A., Sarah, Mary, McC. B., William G., Annie
and Ellen, all living.

The education of McClellan B. Kraft was
accomplished in the public schools of Heidel-
berg township, city of York, and at the Cum-
berland Valley Normal school, where he re-
mained two years, after which he taught school
in York county for three years. At that time,
he entered the employ of the Pennsylvania
Railway Company as a clerk in the superin-
tendent's office at York. This institution is
quick to i^ecognize true ability, and the ambi-
tious young man was ad\-anced step by step
until he was given the responsible position of
clerk to Superintendent J. B. Hutchinson, at
York. In that capacity he discliarged his du-
ties in so acceptable a manner that he was pro-
moted to the agency at Spring Grove, which
position he has held for a number of years.

In 1892 Mr. Kraft married Lucy K. Glat-
felter, a daughter of Edward Glatfelter, super-
intendent of one of the departments of the Glat-
felter Paper mill. The mother of Mrs. Kraft
bore the maiden name of Sarah A. Harman,
and both she and Mr. Glatfelter are natives of
York county, where Mr. Glatfelter was born
May 31, 1839. Mr. and ]\Irs. Kraft settled
in Spring Grove after their marriage, and have
since resided there. They ha\-e one daughter,
Flelen Lucille. Fraternally. Mr. Kraft is a
member of Hanover Lodge, A. F. & A. M. Fie
and his wife are affiliated with St. Paul's Lu-
theran Church, in which they are highly valued
members. Mr. Kraft is a stockholder in the
People's National Bank of Hanover, Pa., and
a stockholder in the First National Bank of
Spring Grove, and owns considerable very val-
uable real estate in the city.

JOHN CASPAR HECKERT. That hon-
est and well directed eft'ort nill o\-ercome seem-



776



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



ingly insurmountable obstacles is aptly illus-
trated in the life of John C. Heckert, who was
left an orphan at the age of nine years, and
has ever since fought the battle of life unaided.
He was born in Hochstadt, Germany, July !•],
1862, son of Philip and ,Vnn Mary ( Eibels-
hauser) Heckert.

Mr. Pleckert received his earliest instruc-
tion at home and this beginning was sup-
plemented by a term at the Hanau school,
in Germany. \Vhen he was fourteen he left
school and served for the following three 3'ears
as an apprentice at the trade of shoemaking.
On completing his term, in 1880, he crossed
the ocean to seek his fortune in America, and
went directly to Dallastown, York Co., Pa.,
where relatives of his mother lived. Of the
family left in Germany, one brother, Peter, has
for over forty years held a very important and
responsible position with one of the great rail-
roads of the empire.

After arriving at Dallastown, Mr. Heck-
ert's keen discernment convinced him that the
manufacture of cigars was destined to become
the leading industry of the community, and
therefore he learned the trade immediately, at
the same time improving his knowdedge of
English under a private tutor. In 1884 he felt
himself in a position to begin the business on
his own account, and he started with a force
of six employees. His success is attested by
the fact that to-day he employs in his factories
at Dallastown and Stewartstown about one
hundred people.

A man who has shown such ability in the
direction of his own affairs has naturally been
connected with many of the enterprises of the
town; he is vice-president of the First National
Bank, which he helped to found; is treasurer
and director of the Dallastown Cigar Box
Company; president of the Water Company,
and one of the owners of the Dallastown Mar-
ket House, while his interest in other affairs is
demonstrated by his position as trustee of Leb-
anon Valley College, at Annville, Pa., and also
as trustee of the United Brethren Church. In
every capacity he displays the same strength
of character and executive ability and com-
mands universal respect. He has never given
much time to political matters, but casts his
vote and lends his influence in favor of the
Republican party.

Mr. Heckert was married April 22, 1884,
to Miss Elizabeth Jane Ka'uffman, daughter



of Solomon and Rachel (Dougherty) Kauff-
man, of York township. Nine children have
been born to them, of whom the following seven
are living: Benjamin H., Sadie V., Chauncey
A., Nettie E., Rachel G., John C, and Florence.

ALBERT REHMEYER, who has ad-
vanced from a modest beginning until he is now
one of the largest mill operators of York
county, was born in Shrewsbury township, Oct.
17, 1 87 1. The paternal grandparents were
Christopher and Mary Rehmeyer, the former
of whom died in 1900, and the latter, in 1905,
her decease occurring in Shrewsbury township,
at the age of eighty-seven years. Their chil-
dren were as follows : Charles, father of Al-
bert; Henry, of Shrewsbury township; Will-
iam, of Baltimore ; John, of Hopewell ; Ed-
ward and Augustus, of Shrewsbury; Mary,
Mrs. George McCann, of York ; and Leah, Mrs.
Amos Sweitzer, of Hopewell. Charles Reh-
meyer married Mai-y Sweitzer, the first-born in
a family consisting of the following other mem-
bers : Amos, of Hopewell ; Frank, of York ;
Wesley, of Hopewell ; Catherine, Mrs. Henry
Newhouse; Martha, Mrs. Frank Hildebrand;
and Ellen, who married Joshua Gladfelter, and
died several years ago. The family born to
Charles and Mary S. Rehmeyer numbered
five, namely : Albert ; Saloma, Mrs. Curtis
Krout, of Shrewsbury township ; Clara ; Ed-
ward ; and Wilson.

Albert Rehmeyer attended the public
schools at Mt. Airy and Barren Hill, ' York
count)^, and then worked for a time on his
father's farm, and in 1889 entered upon his ca-
reer in the milling business. He began in the
employ of his uncle, Edward Rehmeyer, a
miller of the old time, and remained with him
until 1892, learning all the details of the in-
dustry. He then took the Shalls mill in Shrews-
bury, and, after operating it for three years,
bought the Allen Run mill in 1895. He re-
mained there in the vicinity of Gatchellville,
and w^as very successful in his operations, but
in 1903 disposed of that property also and
bought the Woodbine mill in Fawii town-
ship. It is one of the oldest and best
known in the county, and has been ex-
tensively renovated and improved by
Mr. Rehmeyer, who has installed complete
modern machinery for fiourmaking, including
three double stands of rolls. The mill now has
a daily capacity of fifty barrels and the "White



BIOGRAPHICAL



777



Loaf" and other brands of flour are very popu-
lar. The farm connected with the estabhsh-
ment embraces a ti-act of 267 acres. In addi-
tion to his private operations, Mr. Rehmeyer
has a stockholder'-s interest in the People's Na-
tional Bank of Stewartstown.

In 1893, Mr. Rehmeyer and Annie Wolfe,
of Shrewsbury, were united in marriage. Mrs.
Rehmeyer was the daughter of Charles and
Ellen (Thompson) Wolfe, and had one sister,
Addie, who married Jesse Eaton, of Shrews-
bury township. The children born to the union
of Albert and Annie Rehmeyer are five in num-
ber — Cora, Reba, Clara, Melvin and John.

HENRY E. SMITH, a native son of York
county who has achieved success in business,
is engaged in plumbing, tinning and general
contracting in York, where he controls a large
and representative trade. He was born in
York, York county, Feb. 23, 1861, son of Will-
iam Wilson and Lydia (Hartman) Smith.

William Wilson Smith was born in York,
in 1 819, and was a member of one of the ster-
ling pioneer families of the old Keystone com-
monwealth. He was a shoemaker by trade, fol-
lowing this vocation from 1844 until 1877,
while he passed the closing years of his life
in the city of York, where he died in 1894.
His father, George Washington Smith, was a
native of Chester county. Pa. Mrs. Lydia
(Hartman) Smith was born in York county,
in 1834, daughter of Adam Hartman, who was
a well known farmer and highly respected citi-
zen of Spring Garden township. She was sum-
moned into eternal rest in 1898. Of the two
children of William W. and Lydia Smith,
Henry E. is the younger ; his brother, Sheldon
F., is also a resident of York. The parents were
devoted members of St. Paul's Lutheran
Church, in York ; and the father was originally
■ a ^Vhig and later a Republican in his political
adherency. He had been twice married, his
first wife having been Charlotte Stair. She
died some years after their marriage, leaving
five children. Of these but two survive, Mal-
colm O., of Hanover; and Carrie, who lives in
York.

Henry E. Smith secured his early educa-
tional training in the public schools of the city
of York, continuing his studies there until he
had attained the age of sixteen years, and hav-
ing completed a course in the Grammar school.
Upon leaving school he entered the plumbing



establishment of the, firm of Getz & Horn,
where he learned the trades of plumbing" and '
tinning, becoming an expert workman, and con-
tinuing in the employ of this firm for a period
of four years, at the expiration of which he
went to the city of Philadelphia. There he fol-
lowed his trade as a journeyman until Septem-
ber, 1884, when he returned to York and es-
tablished himself in the plumbing and tinning
business,beginning operations upon a somewhat
modest scale, but putting forth such well di-
rected efforts that his business soon began to
extend rapidly in scope and importance, while
he gained a high reputation for reliability and
fidelity to contracts. The demands of his busi-
ness led him to soon augment his stock and fa-
cilities, and he added mantels and tiles to his
stock, and also began contracting in the line
of heating apparatus, especially in the install-
ing" of hot-air furnaces, while his well-equipped
headquarters are found at Nos. 203-205 West
Market street. Mr. Smith carries a select and
complete stock of plumbers' supplies and ma-
terials, as well as mantels and stoves, while
he controls a large jobbing business, which ex-
tends into a wide radius of country. He has
secured many contracts in neighboring towns
and cities, and gives employment to three
skilled mechanics.

Mr. Smith is a stanch Republican in his
political proclivities. Both he and his wife are
valued members of St. Paul's Lutheran
Church ; and fraternally he is affiliated with the
Improved Order of Heptasophs, and B. P. O.
Elks, No. 213.

On April 15, 1879, Mr. Smith wedded Miss
Mary E. Lehman, daughter of John B. and Su-
san Lehman, well-known citizens of York,
where she was born and reared, and of this un-
ion have been born two daughters, Caroline B.
and Florence, both of whom are graduates of
the York high school, while both have also
availed themselves of the advantages of the
Woman's College in Baltimore, Md. They are
popular in the social life of York, and are
among the city's prominent young folk.

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN MORRIS, of
Fawn Grove, was born Oct. 11, 1855, in Fawn
township, York county, to Edward and Eliza-
beth (Taylor) Morris. His parents were both
natives of that township, and their children
were : Charles W., of Fawn; John R.. of Har-
ford county, Md. ; Benjamin F. ; E. N. of



778



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANL\



Fawn Grove; Nancy Jane, -widow of Alexan-
der Trout: Mary Catherine, widow of John
Edie ; Rachel. Mrs. William Wilson ; and Lucy,
Mrs. Daniel \\"ilhelm, of Baltimore county,
Md. Edward Morris died in 1897, and his
wife had passed away the previous year.

In boyhood Benjamin F. jNIorris attended
the township schools of Fawn and, when he
was old enough to do a man's work, was em-
ployed for several years on his father's farm.
He then bought a farm of A. Van Zant,' near
Constitution, York county, which he tilled for
a number of years. In 1893 he also purchased
the property of Asa Jones, in Fawn Grove
borough, and has since resided there. A Dem-
ocrat in politics, he has been active in local af-
fairs and has filled various offices. Besides
serving as school director, Mr. Morris has for
ten years filled the position of burgess in Fawn
Grove; elected first in 1893, he has been twice
re-elected and has discharged his duties most
efficiently.

'Sir. ^Morris was married in 1884, being
united to ]\Iiss ]\Iary M. Herbert, of Fawn
township, daughter of Thomas H. and Melissa
J. (Jones) Herbert. The children born to
this union are : Arlington H., Milton T.,
Charles E., Carrie O., Marie and Anetta. On
May 13, 1903, Mr. Morris met with a severe
accident which nearly proved fatal. He sus-
tained fractures of the leg, arm and head, with
other grave injuries, but his hardy constitu-
tion and indomitable will enabled him to re-
cover, although he still suffers from the effects
of the shock. In religious belief he is a mem-
ber of the Methodist Protestant Church of
Fawn Grove. He is a trustee of that organi-
zation, has been class leader, and all the mem-
bers of his family are identified with it.

CHARLES W. HEIM, of East Prospect,
is a native of the old Keystone State, born in
Columbia, Lancaster county, June 25, 1863,
son of George and Christina Heim. His father
was born in Germany in the year 1832, and
in the Fatherland received good educational
advantages, and there learned the shoemaker's
trade. He continued to devote his attention
to his trade until he had attained the age of
twenty years, when he severed home ties and
departed for America, where he felt assured of
better opportunities for gaining success through
his own efforts. His financial resources were
merely nominal at the time of his arrival in the



port of New York City. From the national
metropolis he came to York county. Pa., locat-
ing in the borough of East Prospect, where he
was employed at his trade for the ensuing two
years, at the expiration of which he removed to
Columbia, Lancaster county. There was sol-
emnized his marriage, his wife being a native of
Germany who had come to the United States
at the same time as he, though they did not be-
come acquainted until his removal to Columbia.
After his marriage Mr. Heim continued to fol-
low his trade in Columbia until 1876, when he
purchased a farm in Lower Windsor township,
York county, and thereafter gave his undivided
attention to its cultivation and improvement
until 1886, when he returned to Columbia,
where he has since been engaged in the shoe-
making business, retaining possession of his
farm, which he rents. He is a stanch Dem^^crat
in his political proclivities and his religious
faith is that of the Lutheran Church, of which
his wife also was a devoted member : her death
occurred in 1894. Of the four children of this
worthy couple the following brief data are of-
fered : George, who is a conductor on the
Pennsylvania railroad, maintains his home in
Columbia; John is an engineer on the same
railway line and likewise resides in Columbia ;
Charles W. is mentioned below ; Lily is the wife
of Edward Marley, of Columbia.

Charles W. Heim passed the first twelve
years of his life in his native town of Colum-
bia, Lancaster county, in whose public schools
he secured his rudimentary education. At the



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 148 of 201)