Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 15 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 15 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ty-two years. He married Catherine Lau-
master, daughter of Jacob Laumaster, and she
became the mother of four children : John H.,
a carriage-builder, who died in 1890, aged
forty-eight years : Maria L. ; Catherine Agnes,
wife of Luke R. Rouse, retired; and Jacob L.

Jacob L. Kuehn was born March 28, 1836.
in the city of York, and was educated in its
public schools. His first occupation was with
his father, as a carpenter. He then worked as
a machinist, and became superintendent of the
York Gas Works, which position he filled for
forty-two years, for twenty-five years of that
time acting as superintendent of the York
Water Company. Retiring from these offices,
Mr. Kuehn established the plumbing, gas-fit-
ting and house-furnishing business which has
since become so prosperous. He is located on
George street, and one of his specialties is the
erection of all varieties of heating apparatus
and svstems.



74



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Mr. Kuehn was married Nov. i, 1857, to
Anna Catherine Vogel, daughter of Sebastian
Vogel, a well known gardener and ilorist of
Lancaster, and of the four children born to
them, we have record of two, Anna Elizabeth
and Harriet Augusta. The former married
Dr. Gyula UUmann, who has been awarded a
medal by the Paris University for his small-
pox remedies, and who lives and has practiced
his profession for several years in Chester, Pa.
Mr. Kuehn's first wife died in 1890, and in
June, 1 89 1, he was married (second) to Susan
Hyde, daughter of Adam Ruhl, a carpenter of
York; one daughter was born to this union,
Louise Margaret, who is attending the York
high school, being a member of the class of
1907. Mr. Kuehn's second wife died in 1893,
and in March, 1899, he married Caroline
Keiser, daughter of Francis Keiser (deceased),
who was born in Hanover, Germany, but died
in York.

Mr. Kuehn belongs to the Artisans. In
politics he is a Republican. He is a man who
possesses fine conversational powers and a
wonderful fund of reminiscences of the early
and later days of York.

LOGANS OF DILLSBURG. The Logan
family is one of the oldest families of York
county, having settled along the Yellow
Breeches Creek prior to the time the county
was organized. The original settlers were
cousins of James Logan, the secretaiy of Wil-
liam Penn, and who is said to have been second
only to Penn in the founding and developing
of Pennsylvania. The family settled among
the mountains surrounding Dillsburg and gave
the name Monaghan township to that section
of the country, taking the name from their
original home in Ireland. At this time the
Blair, Campbell, O'Hail and McCurdy fam-
ilies — families also of Irish origin — settled in
that neighborhood. The township of Mon-
aghan was afterwards divided, and Carroll
township formed from part of Monaghan
township.

The Logan family is of Scotch origin. Its
history can be found among the records of the
early history of Scotland under the title
"Logan of Restalrig." From the time of Wil-
liam the Lion (12th century) and through
subsequent ages the family was connected with



most of the important events in Scotch history.
[See Tyler's History of Scotland — Buchan-
non's History of Scotland].

One of the family married a daughter of
Robert II of Scotland, and inherited a tract of
land known as "Lands of Grugar." Two
members of the family — Sir Robert and Sir
Walter Logan — were associates of Robert the
Bruce, and together with Sir James Douglass,
were charged with the crusade to convey the
heart of Bruce to the Holy Sepulchre. While
en route to Palestine the Crusaders stopped in
Spain and engaged in battle with the Moors
near Granada (13 13). The heart of Bruce,
enclosed in a casket of gold, was flung by the
Scots in advance of their line into the heart
of the enemy. In the desperate rush to re-
cover the heart, the Logans, together with
Lord Douglass and the greater part of the
Crusaders, fell. [Gross' Antiquities of Scot-
land — Buchannon's History of Scotland].

Later the Laird of Logan became possessed
of a large estate near Edinburgh. Within the
domains of this estate was located Restalrig
Church, where Mary, Queen of Scots, was
married. During the time of James VI of
Scotland and I of England [Robertson's His-
tory of Scotland and Bucker's History of
Scotland] the Crown of Scotland coveted the
estate of the Logan clan, and falsely caused
charges of treason to be brought against a
dead Baron of the house, who had died un-
suspected of treason some years previous
thereto. The bones of this Baron were dis-
interred, brought into court and by false tes-
timony condemned, the descendants attainted
and corruption of blood decreed. The lands of
the Logan family were forfeited to the great
profit and lasting disgrace of the Scottish
Crown, and the family driven in exile to Ire-
land.

The Logan coat of arms will be found
among the books of heraldry, and, referring
to the heart of Bruce, has this motto — "Hoc
Majorum Virtus." The Logan clan Tartan
is also of record as is the Logan plaid.

The first settlement of the family in Ire-
land was at Luigam. John Logan, the immedi-
ate progenitor of the Logan family of Dills-
burg, was born at Cout Hill (Koot Hill),
County Monaghan, Ireland, in 1712. He was
married in Ireland to Ann, otherwise Agnes,



BIOGRAPHICAL



75



who was born 1700 and died 1799. About the
year 1746 John Logan, with Ann, his wife,
and five others — making seven in all — sailed
for America. After a voyage of fourteen
weeks, during which time one of the number
died and was buried at sea, the survivors
landed in this country. They came at once to
the Cumberland Valley, and prior to 1750
settled in Carroll township, York Co., Pa.
Here they secured lands which, with others
afterward secured, were patented under the
name of Logania, and which have continued
in the possession of the Logan family to the
present date.

At the time the Logans settled near Dills-
burg, the country was practically a wilderness.
A few of the well-to-do families kept negro
slaves. Indians roamed at will, and deer were
in abundance. The nearest market was Bal-
timore. Practically the only thing that the set-
tlers were able to take to market was corn-
whiskey. This made necessary the erection of
a "still" house by nearly every farmer. The
settlers were nearly all Irish and mostly Pres-
byterians. Monaghan Presbyterian Church
was built at Dillsburg, and was said to have
been the centre of forty "still" houses within
a radius of three miles.

While the settlers considered themselves
well-to-do, they lived very simply. For ex-
ample, the house built by John Logan was a
small log affair with a dirt floor. The first
floor was divided into two rooms. A ladder
led to the second floor. A partition of logs
about four feet high divided the second floor
into two rooms. No door was ever sawed be-
tween these two rooms. Entrance was had in-
to the back room by climbing ove:.- the parti-
tion. In this house two generat'ons of the
Logan family lived.

Tv.'o of the women belonging to the fam-
ily were carried into captivity by the Tuscarora
Indians during the French and Indian War.
Both the women returned, one after a captivity
of eighteen months. Another member of the
family was lost with Braddock's Expedition.
The members of the family lie buried in the
old Dillsburg grave-yard.

Henry Logan, son of John Logan, was
born in Ireland in 1738, and died Aug. 3,
1825. He was married to Su.sanna Blair (B.
1743 — D. 1817), who was a daughter of Bryce



Blair. The Blair family at that time were prom-
inent owners of land in York county, and gave
their name to several hills in Carroll township.
One of the descendants (James Blair) was a
Deputy United States Consul to Brazil under
President Cleveland.

Henry Logan left to survive him the fol-
lowing children, all of whom were more or less
prominent in their day and generation, namely :
Eleanor, wife of Robert Lynch; Sarah, wife
of Matthew Lynch and grandmother of the
Abraham Dehufif family of York, and also
grandmother of Lyman D. Gilbert, now of Har-
risburg, an ex-Attorney General of the Com-
monwealth; James; Henry; and William.

Colonel Henry Logan, M. C, son of Henry
Logan above referred to was born April 14,
1784, died Dec. 26, 1866. He served in a regi-
ment commanded by General Thomas C. Mil-
ler, of Gettysburg, during the War of 181 2,
and was present at the battle of North Point
during the defense of Baltimore at the time
the British General Ross was killed. He was
made Captain of the loth Company, 19th Regi-
ment, 2nd Brigade, 5th Division of the Penn-
sylvania Militia, and afterward (Aug. I, 1814)
Lieutenant Colonel of the same regiment. In
1 81 8 and 1819 he represented York county in
the Pennsylvania Assembly, and in 1 828-1 831
in the Pennsylvania Senate. In 1841 he was
elected commissioner of York county. From
1831-1835 he represented York county in Con-
gress at Washington. He was a hard Demo-
crat, and .1 strong politician. He was accus-
tomed to say toward the end of his life that he
had gone lO Congress when it was an honor to
go, and that he had never solicited an ofiice or
asked a single person to vote for him. He was
a membei' of the American Colonization So-
ciety, whose object was to transport the ne-
groes to Liberia. He was a member of the
original Masonic lodge organized in York City,
Pa., and which was suppressed in the days of
anti-Ma^onry. He was a successful farmer,
and at the time of Jiis death owned more than
seven hundred acres of land in Carroll township
and vicinity. He married. Feb. 22. 1825. Mar-
tha O'Hail, daughter of Edward O'Hail. a
Revolutionary soldier and an elder of the ?iIon-
aghan Presbyterian Church. Her mother was
Jane Richey. The children of Henry Logan
were: Susan, wife of \\'illiani Beetam, of



76



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Carlisle, Pa. ; James Jackson (born 1830 — died
1902), of Carroll township; Mary Ann, wife
of Abraham Williams, owner of the Granger
Picnic grounds near Dillsburg, Pa. ; Martha ;
Josephine, wife of Dr. William D. Bailey, of
Dillsburg (Dr. Bailey was a son of Colonel S.
N. Bailey, 12th Pennsylvania Reserves, and
was himself Major of the 87th P. V. I., during
the Civil war, while his brother, Hon. John
;M. Bailey, deceased, was President Judge of
Huntingdon county, and another brother, D.
B. Bailey, was a member of the York Count)^
Bar) : Rev. William H., now of Wilmington,
Del. ; and John N.

John N. Logan, senior member of the law
firm of Logan & Logan of York and Dillsburg
and son of Col. Henry 'Logan, was born April
17, 1846. He was reared on his father's farm
and attended the local schools. He afterward
attended Tuscarora Academy, entered Prince-
ton College and received the degree of A. B.
in 1869. In 1 87 1 he commenced the study of
law. About that time he accepted the position
of cashier of the Dillsburg National Bank,
which position he held for more than twelve
years. In 1889 he was admitted to practice at
law at York, Pa. From 1870 to 1880 he served
as justice of the peace in Carroll township. He
served as elder of the Monaghan Presbyterian
Church from 1871 to 1898, and was superin-
tendent of the Sunday-school for more than
twenty years. It was largely through his ef-
forts that the Dillsburg branch of the Cumber-
land Valley railroad was built in 1870-1872.
He is the owner of certain magnetic iron ore
lands in Dillsburg, and has devoted many years
to the study of minerals.

In 1874 Mr. Logan married Ella M.
Coover, who was descended on her father's
side from Dietrich Kover (Coover) of the
Palatinate on the Rhine, who sailed on the Ship
"Thistle" of Glasgow from Rotterdam, and ar-
rived in Philadelphia Aug. 29, 1730. Her
father was Jacob Coover, born 181 6 — died
■1899; and her mother was Lydia A. Welty,
daughter of Frederick Welty, and Sarah Eich-
elberger, and grand-daughter of John Welty
of Emmitsburg, a Revolutionary soldier, born
at Eppigen in 1722 — died at Emmitsburg in
1817. [Maryland Archives, Vol. 18, pp. 258-
395.] Through the Eichelbergers, she is de-
scended from Matthias Smyser, the elder, of



York. To John N. and Ella M. (Coover)
Lugan were born children as follows : James
J., Frederick W., Helen M., Caroline E., Henry
and Eleanor.

James J. Logan, son of John N. Logan,
and junior member of the law firm of Logan
& Logan, was born in Carroll township Jan.
24, 1876. After attending the country schools
of the neighborhood, he received an appoint-
ment to West Point in 1893, but failed to enter.
In 1894 he entered the York Collegiate In-
stitute, and in 1896 Lafayette College, receiv-
ing the degree of Ph. B. with the class of 1900,
and the degree of M. S. in 1903. He was ad-
mitted to practice law at the York County Bar,
Sept. 9, 1901, and to the Supreme Court of
■ Pennsylvania in 1904. He is also a member of
the United States District Court. During the
Spanish-American War he served as sergeant
of Company I, 4th Pennsylvania Volunteers,
and was in Porto Rico.

JAMES BUCHANAN ZIEGLER. A
continuous practice for forty years before the
courts of York County and southeastern Penn-
sylvania, a period unsurpassed but by two
members of the York County Bar, made the
late James B. Ziegler a familiar figure. He
was the grandson of John Ziegler, a native of
Union county. Pa., and the son of Samuel
Ziegler, the latter a former well known busi-
ness man of York. Two brothers of Samuel,
Jacob and Daniel, were well-known clergymen
of the Reformed Church.

The father's life was spent in York, where
he was engaged in the saddle and harness busi-
ness. He married Miss Charlotte Danner,
whose father was identified with the tobacco
trade of York. The father died Jan. 27, 1867,
at the age of fifty-one, the mother's death oc-
curring several years later. The Ziegler fam-
ily consisted of eleven children ; five of this
family are deceased, those living being:
Sarah, who is the wife of Adam Wis-
man, of Marietta, Lancaster county; Laura,
wife of William Llewellyn, of the same place
and county; Emma, wife of James E. Mun-
dorf, postmaster of Mt. Holly, Cumberland
County, Pennsylvania ; Catherine, wife of Ja-
cob Krug of Hanover, York County; Daniel,
also of York County, who lives in Hanover;
and Edward, who is traveling.



BIOGRAPHICAL



77



James Buchanan Ziegler was born in York
Dec. 2, 1838, in tlie old home that stood on
the site of the present opera house on South
Beaver street. His education was received at
the York County Academy and at the Frank-
hn and Marshall College at Lancaster, Penn-
sylvania. Later he became a law student in the
office of J. W. Bittenger, now President Judge
of the Courts of York County. Mr. Ziegler
was admitted to the Bar Aug. 24, 1864, and
later to the Supreme and Superior Courts.
From that time until his death he sustained
a splendid reputation, not only as a successful
practitioner, but as a broad minded, public-
spirited citizen, seeking to encourage the phe-
nomenal progress of the race as it works out
the problem of civilization.

Mr. Ziegler's marriage to Miss Catharine
Getz, occurred Oct. 4, 1864. She was a daugh-
ter of George Getz, of Lancaster county, now
deceased. He was well known throughout the
county by that peculiar»phrase which expresses
so much, "a genius." and was related to Charles
Getz, a noted scenic painter of Baltimore. To
Mr. and Mrs. Ziegler three children were
born: Arthur G., of York, is the Supervis-
ing Principal of the King Street School ; Her-
bert S., a printer, and George P., a florist, re-
side in York.

The citizenship of Mr. Ziegler was marked
by many acts evidencing loyalty to duty
and his sincere desire to ameliorate the ills of
mankind. As a member of the common coun-
cil for some three years, he was always alert
to the interests of his constituents of the Thir-
teenth ward, and he aided in carrying out sev-
eral important reforms in the city government.
As a member of the fraternal organization
known as the Heptasophs, he evinced his
interest in his fellowman socially; and as a
worker in the Trinity Reformed Church and
for long years an efficient and faithful Sun-
day-school teacher, his ^influence among the
young people was a benison to the community.
He passed away in 1906.

EDWARD A. RICE, cashier of the West-
ern National Bank, is a native son of York
county, and comes of a family well known in
the county for generations.

William Rice, grandfather of Edward A.
Rice, was born in Codorus township, where
he lived and died.



William H. Rice, father of Edward A., is
court crier for the courts of York county. He
married Sarah, daughter of Peter Julms, a
farmer of Dover township. The great-grand-
father of Sarah Qulius) Rice came to York
county from Germany, and the land which he
bought, and on which he made his home, is
now the property of his great-grandson,
George D. Julius.

William H. and Sarah (Julius) Rice be-
came the parents of the following children:
Anna M., wife of Jacob Joseph, a farmer of
West Manchester tow:nship; Charles P., D. D.
S., a dentist of York; and Edward A.

On June 14, 1863, Edward A. Rice was
born in Dover township, and he attended the
public schools of York county, and the State
Normal School at Millersville. He was for
thirteen years a teacher in the schools in the
town and county of York, and for six years
he attended the summer terms of the East Ber-
lin Academy in Adams county. Mr. Rice be-
gan his banking career as teller in the Farm-
ers' National Bank of York, where he was
employed from 1891 to 1898. He was then
made cashier of the Western National Bank,
and he still retains that position.

In 1903, Mr. Rice married Mary G. Wiest,
daughter of Peter C. Wiest, a prominent man-
ufacturer of York. Mr. Wiest is president of
the York Corrugating Company, manufactur-
ers of corrugated iron cornices, spouting, etc.,
and his son-in-law, Mr. Rice, is secretary and
treasurer of the company.

Fraternally Mr. Rice is connected with the
Odd Fellows. He is a member of Grace Re-
formed Church, where he has been an elder for
a dozen years or more. He is also superintend-
ent of the Sunday-school, and carries into that
field of endea\-or the same earnest energy and
vital interest that characterize his secular af-
fairs, and which have advanced him in his
banking business. Mr. Rice has made a suc-
cess of all his undertakings from the time he
began teaching school ; his career, already a
credit to his county and town, opens toward
even a brighter future. No life is without its
influence for good or evil, and the community
is fortunate which possesses citizens of the
stamp of Edward A. Rice — clean, strong,
kindly and helpful, an inspiration to the
vounger generation, reaching out for guid-
ance to the highest things of life.



78



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



ISAAC RUNK (deceased); who for
many years was engaged in a mercantile busi-
ness in what is now East York, Hved retired
from 1886 until his death, which occurred
April 5, 1906, at his home in York. He was
born in York township, York county, Dec. 3,
1829, son of John Runk.

The father was born in York county, and
being left an orphan at an early age was reared
to manhood by a Mr. Bollinger who resided in
York county, near Spring Grove. He learned
the shoemaicing trade, which, however, he did
not follow long. He engaged in farming un-
til 1836, in that year purchasing the "Spring
Garden Hotel," in Spring Garden township,
which since his death has been converted from
an old dilapidated building into a fine hotel
structure, with all modern improvements. This
he conducted until his death, in 1845. The
hotel is now owned by the widow of Edward
Witmer. John Runk was a Democrat, and
in religion a member of the Reformed Church.
Mr. Runk married Lydia Sowers, who was
born in York county, daughter of Caspar
Sowers, a representative of one of the pioneer
families of York county. Mrs. Runk died in
1886 at the age of eighty-three years, and was
buried at Prospect Hill cemetery. She and
her husband had children as follows : Isaac,
our subject; Louisa, who married Heiman
Adams, both now deceased ; Levi, who died
young; and Mary Ann, the wife of Edward
Blosser, the well known contractor and builder
of York.

Isaac Runk received his education in the
■common schools of York and learned the
cigarmaking trade. In 1854 he engaged in a
mercantile business at Freystown, now in the
city of York, or East York, his store being
located on East Market street near his home,
and he successfully continued in that line until
1886. From that time on he held the office
of treasurer of the Eastern Market of York,
also being a stockholder in that enterprise.
Mr. Runk purchased the fine home in which he
resided, at No. 743 I;ast Market street, from
John Bender in 1880 and he was one of the
oldest residents of tl: j East end. He passed
away April 5, 1906, ifter a decline of about
two months' duration and was buried in Pros-
pect Hill cemetery.



In 1855 Mr. Runk married Eliza Frey,
daughter of George and Mary (Spangler)
Frey. She died in 1901, and was buried at
Prospect Hill cemetery. To Mr. and Mrs.
Runk were born: -Ada L., who lived with her
father; Mary A., the wife of William Miller,
a skilled patternmaker of York; Irene A., the
wife of Charles Lichtenberger, a tinsmith of
East Market street, York; and Cora A., the
wife of A. A. Myers, a druggist of Norris-
town.

Politically Mr. Runk was a Democrat, and
he served as township auditor and clerk. He
was one of the leading members of Emanuel
Reformed Church, and was a man well liked
and respected by all with whom he came in
contact. A resident of this section for many
years, he could readily recall the tearing down
and hauling away of the old court house which
formerly stood in Centre Square, in which
work iVIr. Runk took part. Mr. Runk had in
his possession a pair of infant's shoes (turns)
made by his father in 1830, and worn by the
subject of this sketch.

CHARLES P. RICE, D. D. S., a brother
of Edward A. Rice., was born in Dover
township. York county, Feb. 19, 1868. He is,
in education, a product of the public schools of
his home district, his professional education
having been secured at the Baltimore College
of Dental Surgery. Prior to taking this course
in dentistry. Dr. Rice spent some nine years in
the shoe business. The date of his graduation
was 1 89 1, he at once opened offices in York,
and has since continued in successful practice
at this point.

Miss Elizabeth Gallatin became the wife
of Dr. Rice, May 28, 1896. She is the daugh-
ter of D. Y. Gallatin, now deceased, who was
for many years a prominent merchant of Han-
over, York county. To the marriage of Dr.
and Mrs. Rice was born a son, named Edward
Julius Rice.

Dr. Rice is a prominent member of the
Masonic fraternity, having membership in the
Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery, and
also in the Mystic Shrine. He is also a mem-
I)er of the Junior Order of the LTnited Amer-
ican Mechanics. He is an active worker in
ihe Sunday school of Grace Reformed church,
Ijeing at the present time secretary. Dr. Rice



BIOGRAPHICAL



79



is a young man much esteemed m the busi-
ness and social circles of York, where he and
his wife move in the most exclusive circles. _

THOMAS B. BAIRD, assistant cashier
of the City Bank of York, represents one of
the honored pioneer families of York county,
where he has passed his entire life and has not
failed to maintain the prestige of the honored
name which he bears. -i ■ ^r ,

The founder of the Baird family in iork
county was Samuel Baird. who came hither
from Marvland and settled in Hopewell town-
ship where he established a distillery and be-
came a citizen of prominence and influence,
continuing his residence here until his death.
His son, Thomas, father of Thomas B. Baird,
died in 1878. at the age of sixty-five years. He
devoted most of his life to contracting, and
wielded much influence in business and civic
affairs, while his name stood as a synonym of
integrity and honor in all the relations of life.
He married Sarah Hartman, who \yas born and
reared in York county, where she continued to
reside during the entire course of her life, her
death occurring in 1903, when she was seventy-
six years old.

Thomas B. Baird was born June 20, 1866,
on the old homestead farm in Hopewell town-
ship. After completing the work of the public
schools he continued his studies in the
Stewartstown Academy and then entered



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 15 of 201)