Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 152 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 152 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


with Mr. Fitz about nine months, after which
he passed the winter in the parental home. In
the spring he hired out to Benjamin Heindel, a
farmer of Windsor township, with whom he
remained three years, after which he was with
Joseph Kauffman for two years, and with Ben-
jamin Deitz for three years. He then was for
a brief interval in the employ of John Stoner,
of Hellam township, and thereafter was em-
ployed for ten months by Eli Kindig, of Wind-
sor township, thus early learning the lessons
of consecutive industry. After he began to
earn wages, even though small, he had the
good sense to save his earnings, finally ac-



cumulating sufficient money to enable him to
engage in the butchering business, in Windsor
township, but he soon withdrew from this field
of enterprise and began farming and gardening
in York township, on the Wambaugh and
Myers farms, later working on other farms in
the same line, either by renting land or by di-
viding the products of his labor with the owner
of the property. Finally he purchased the old
Wambaugh farm, of ninety-five acres, in York
township, and there continued to be actively
engaged in general farming for seven years, at
the expiration of which he sold the property,
soon after the death of his devoted wife, in
1888, who had been a true helpmate and co-
adjutor. Thereafter he lived for one year in
the home of his father-in-law, in 1889 renting
a farm where he continued for nine years. He
spent three years with the York Water Com-
pany, and in 1899 he purchased his present fine
farm of fifty-four acres, finding a good mar-
ket for his garden products in the York mar-
kets. In politics Mr. Hunt in a stanch supporter
of the policies of the Democratic party, and
he served most acceptably as supervisor of
York township, for one term, having been
elected in 1891. He is a communicant of St.
Mary's Roman Catholic Church, in York, and
takes much interest in the parish work, his wife
likewise having been numbered among the
communicants of this parish.

On Oct. 24, 1876, was solemnized the mar-
riage of Mr. Hunt to Miss Alary Koch, who
was born in Manchester township, April 8,
1848, daughter of John and Kate (Harkley)
Koch. She died Dec. 18, 1888, the mother of
the following children; George A., unmarried.
is a blacksmith by trade and resides in York ;
Minnie resides in the city of Harrisburg ; John
Curtis is a motorman on the street-car lines of
the city of Philadelphia ; Sadie is the wife of
Samuel Barnhart, a farmer of York township ;
and Francis, Mary, Roman, Edward and Al-
bert all remain with their father on the home
farm.

SAMUEL HALL, a venerable citizen of
East Hopewell township, York Co., Pa., comes
of an old English Quaker family, of Chester
county. On his paternal side he is of English
descent, while on the maternal side he is ^^'elsh.
Both sides of the family came to this country
before the Revolution.

The Hall and Davis families joined the



BIOGRAPHICAL



79S



Quaker colony, and because of their faith cHd
not take part in the Revolution. Isaac Hall,
the father of our subject, was born in Chester
county, in 1803, and died there in 1844. He
was a carpenter by trade, and became well
known as a contractor and builder. He mar-
ried Rachel Davis, of Chester county, who died
at the age of eighty-five years, having borne
her husband these children : Thomas and
Mary died in Chester county ; William mar-
ried Mary Ann Rambo, and died in Chester
county; Davis, diejd at the age of fourteen
years ; Lewis, who married Margareft Ellen
White, farmed the place our subject now owns,
and died in Hopewell township ; Isaac, li\'ed
and died in Chester county, and there married
Miss Cox; Hannah married Webster Miller
and died in Chester county ; Sarah, married
Henry Null ; and Samuel.

Samuel Hall was born near Waynesburg,
Chester county, June 12, 1831. He was edu-
cated in the public schools, and ever since boy-
hood has evinced a great fondness for good
literature, having, however, in his early life,
poor chances to appease his literary appetite.
He learned the carpenter's trade with his
father, and followed that occupation until
1856, in Chester county, when he removed
from that county and came to York county,
renting for one year the farm at what is now
MitzeFs Mill, and the next eight years farmed
as a tenant near Stewartstown. At the end of
that time he returned to his old home in Ches-
ter county, where he resided for twenty-one
years. At the end of this time he again located
in East Hopewell township, purchasing his
present farm, where he has since resided. This
farm, which consists of forty acres, was pur-
chased from his brother, and he has made won-
derful improvements in the way of new build-
ings, etc.

Mr. Hall was reared to the Quaker faith,
but is a member of no church. He has been a
lifelong Republican.

WILLIAM FRANKLIN KOHR, who re-
sides on his well improved farm of 108 acres
in Manchester township, York county, is one
of the leading farmers of the section. Mr.
Kohr was born in 1861, in Manchester town-
ship, son of Daniel and Elizabeth ( Roth) Kohr.

Peter Kohr, the great-grandfather of Will-
iam F., was born in Lancaster county and, com-
ing to York county, located in West Manches-



ter township, where he bought about 200 acres
of fine land, later removing to East Manches-
ter township, and he died at Emigsville at a
ripe old age. To Peter Kohr and his wife the
following children were born : Thomas, Mi-
chael, Lewis, and two daughters.

Lewis Kohr was born in 1801, in Lancaster
county, and came to York county with his
father, when about twenty years of age. Here
he learned the milling business, and followed
this line in East Manchester township, at My-
ers" Mills, later buying a mill along the Harris-
burg turnpike, near Emigsville. The mill,
which is known as the old Schultz Mill, is over
100 years old and is still standing in a reason-
ably good condition. Mr. Kohr devoted about
thirty years to milling and farming, and was
the owner of five farms of 156, 151. 121, 60
and 2 acres, respectively. He married a Miss
Westheffer, daughter of Conrad Westheffer,
and they both died in Manchester township,
where they are buried. The children born to
this couple were as follows : Henry ; Daniel ;
Leah, who died in Decatur, 111. ; Reuben, living
in York. Mr. Kohr's second wife was Re-
becca Westheffer, a sister of his first wife, and
to them these children were born : Adam, who
married May Fink, and died in Manchester
township; Louisa, who married William Nei-
man and lives in York ; Lewis, who married,
and is a United Brethren preacher, living in
Hanover; Louise, who married George Sheaf-
fer; Mary, who married Fred Neiman, and
lives in Manchester township ; Jacob, who mar-
ried Ellen B. Brown, of Macon Co., 111. ; and
Zacharias.

Daniel Kohr was born Feb. 27, 1827, in
Manchester township, and received a common
school education. He married Elizabeth Roth,
daughter of Christian Roth, and then located
in Manchester township, where he followed
farming. Mr. Kohr bought over 300 acres of
land in Springetsbury township which he di-
vided into three farms, also owning two fine
farms in Manchester township of 108 and 155
acres, respectively. He was a very prosperous
farmer, and his whole life was devoted to agri-
cultural pursuits. His death occurred in
Springetsbury township, where his wife also
died, and where they are both buried. ^Ir.
and ]\Irs. Kohr were the parents of the fol-
lowing children : Annie Julia married Franklin
Keller, and resides in Springetsbury township;
John married Sallie Myers, and lives in Spring-



7g6



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



etsbur_y township ; Lewis li\-es in the same
township ; Ellen married Zacharias Horn, and
lives in Yoe ; William Franklin; Emma, mar-
ried a Kauffman, and lives in York city; Syl-
A-ester, single, lives in Manchester township ;
Daniel married Leah Herbst, and resides in
jManchester township ; Alice married E. Spren-
kle, and now resides in Hellam township ; and
Alfred and Jane died in infancy.

William Franklin Kohr received his edu-
cation in the schools of Springetsbury town-
ship, supplementing this with a course in the
graded schools of York, and taught school for
eleven years in York county, achieving quite a
reputation as an educator.

Mr. Kohr married Lillie Sipe, born in
York county, daughter of John Sipe. After
marriage they located in Springetsbury town-
ship, and in 1899 removed to Manchester town-
ship, where Mr. Kohr had fallen heir to one
of his father's farms. The farm consists of
108 acres of fine land, which Mr. Kohr has
cultivated to a high degree. He makes im-
provements every year, and devotes his entire
time to farming.

To Mr. and Mrs. Kohr these children have
been born : Roger ; Grace ; and Annie, who died
at the age of two years. Mr. Kohr is a stanch
Democrat, and has held the offices of township
clerk and inspector of Springetsbury township.
Mr. Kohr is a member of the Reformed
Church, while his wife is a member of the
United Brethren Church.

DANIEL SPANGLER, of Red Lion, was
born Oct. 24, 1861, in Springetsbury township,
York county.

William Spangler, his grandfather, was
born and reared in Springetsbury township,
York Co., Pa., and died there. He married
Catherine Eckert, and they had a family of
twelve children.

John E. Spangler, father of Daniel, was
born in Springetsbury townshp, where he fol-
lowed farming all his active life, and now lives
retired. He married Sarah Doran, a native of
Hellam township. Both Mr. and Mrs. Spang-
ler have reached the age of sixty-eight. They
reared a family of twelve children. John E.
Spangler is identified with the Republican
party. He is a member of the Lutheran Church,
and his wife belongs to the U. B. Church.

Daniel Spangler was reared on his father's
farm, and attended school in Windsor town-
ship until the age of seventeen years. He was



nineteen years old when he went to learn the
carpenter's trade with William Stabley, of
Yoe, and this trade he followed for nine years,
for eighteen months engaging in contracting.
About 1885 1^^ embarked in the cigar business,
beginning with one assistant, but his business
has g'rown until he now employs as many as
one hundred hands. In 1892 he removed his
business to Red Lion and built a factory on
High street, which he later converted into a
dwelling when he built his present large fac-
tory. He manufactures a medium' brand of
cigars, a demand for which has been created,
and in one year he has shipped seven hundred
cases. His business has prospered through his
own intelligent efforts.

Mr. Spangler has also been energetic in
promoting the affairs of the borough. His in-
fluence has been felt in almost all of the public-
spirited movements of the town. He assisted in
the organization of the electric light companj
and was one of its directors for several years;
he helped to organize the water company, and
was one of its directors for years ; was also
one of the founders of the First National Bank
of Red Lion, of which he w^as a director for
years, and was one of the main promoters of
the Red Lion Fire Company.

Mr. Spangler has been a lifelong Republi-
can, casting his first vote for Harrison. He
was one of those who helped to organize the
village into a borough, and the first office to
which he was elected after the change was that
of judge of elections. He has done much for
educational advancement here, serving as
school director since 1902, and throughout that
time • has been secretary of the school board.

In 1 88 1 Mr. Spangler was married, in Red
Lion, to Fanny Reisinger, of Wrightsville,
daughter of Frank and Barbara (Walleck)
Reisinger. They have two children : Gertrude,
who attended Patrick's Business College at
York ; and Florence, a student in high school.
Both young ladies are well educated.

Mr. Spangler is one of the leading mem-
bers of the Lutheran Church at Red Lion, sec-
retary of the council and joint council of the
church, one of the deacons and a valued teacher
in the Sunday-school. Fraternally he is con-
nected with the I. O. O. F. and the Encamp-
ment at Red Lion ; and is also a member of the
Knights of Pythias.

SAM E. S. STONEBRAKER, for several
years the manager of the "Colonial Hotel," at



BIOGRAPHICAL



797



York, Pa., has been identified with the hotel
business for some time. Mr. Stonebraker was
born Feb. 5, 1873, at Hagerstown, IVId., son of
D. Hewitt and CaroHne (Windei's) Stone-
braker, who were of old families of Mar3dand.
Mr. Stonebraker's early life was spent in his
native State, and he was reared on his father's
farm. At an earl}? age he engaged in the mer-
cantile business, taking the management of a
department store when only fifteen years of
age. At the age of twenty-two years he en-
tered the employ of the Government, being in
the secret service of the Department of Mail,
with his headquarters at New York City, and
remained in this service for four years. He
then took charge of the "Hotel Hamilton" at
Hagerstown, Md., from which place he came
to York, and in 1898 began managing the "Co-
lonial" for Mr. Campbell, continuing at that
place quite successfully. Mr. Stonebraker is
a member of the F. & A. M. of York, No. 266;
Howell Chapter, No. 199; and the B. P. O. E.,
No. 213.

JOHN J. FULTON, a highly respected
citizen and retired farmer living at Shrews-
bury borough, was born in Peach Bottom town-
ship, York Co., Pa., in 1832, a son of John
Fulton.

John Fulton, father of John J., was a prom-
inent teacher in York county, following the
profession for some twent3?-five years. He also
owned a farm of 300 acres of fine land. He
married Elizabeth Cursell, who died in 1865.
He survived until the age of seventy-three, and
both were buried in their native township at
Slate Ridge. They had these children : David,
Robert, John J., A. J., Elsie J. (who married
a McCurdy), and Mary A. (who married
William Evans). All have passed away except
John J.

John J. Fulton spent his school days in his
native township, close to Delta, and continued
a student until he was about eighteen years
old, when he became his father's main help on
the farm. After the death of his father, he
fell heir to 108 acres of the homestead,
and he lived there, farming with much
success, until 1888. He then moved to
Stewartstown and ran a temperance hotel for
three years, during the period of the construc-
tion of the Stewartstown railroad. Then lie
returned to his farm which he sold two and a
half years later. For two years he resided with



his father-in-law, but in 1890 he bought his
present property, consisting of ten acres all
within the borough of Shrewsbury, where he
has made many impro\-ements.

Mr. Fulton was married (first), in 1861, to
Sarah A. Heapes, daughter of John Heapes, ol
Harford county, Md. She died in 1876, and is
buried at Slate Ridge. Three children were born
ot this union: William John, Hugh M. and
Charles C, both of the latter being deceased.
The eldest son attended the York Collegiate In-
stitute and an educational institution at Eas-
ton, for three years, and after graduating read
law with Judge Fisher of York, and was ad-
mitted to the Bar at York in 1883. Mr. Ful-
ton was married (second) to Hannah A. H.
Johnson, daughter of John Johnson, of York
county.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Fulton are Lutherans.
Mr. Fulton is a Democrat, but takes no very
active part in political contests. He is pass-
ing the evening of life in his beautiful home
which has one of the finest locations in this
town, standing on an eminence overlooking the
surrounding country.

THOMAS PROWELL SWENEY is a
native of Fairview township, where he was
born Aug. 2, 1841, son of Charles Sweney.

Patrick Sweney, grandfather of Thomas P.,
was a farmer of York county, where he died,
leaving children : John, Francis, Daniel, Gracie,
Charles, Margaret and Susan.

Charles Sweney was born Jan. 27, 1801,
and received a common school education. He
followed farming in Fairview township, where,
Feb. 27, 1834, he was united in marriage with
Catherine Smith, who was born Nov. 27, 1809.
daughter of John Smith, the well-known cab-
inet maker of Lewisberry borough. Mrs.
Sweney died Jan. 23, 1889, while her husband
died Aug. 14, 1879, and the remains of both
rest in Mt. Olivet cemetery in Fairview town-
ship. A man of sterling worth of character,
Mr. Sweney was very highly respected in the
community in which he made his home for so
many years. Mr. and Mrs. Sweney were the
parents of children as follows : Anna May, born
May -6, 1835, died young; John Henry, born
March 18, 1838, died July 18, 1899: Thomas
Prowell; and William A., born April 4. 1846,
married Rosa Graft, and lives in Clearfield
county. Their son, Charles F., is a bright youno-
civil engineer, located in Belmont, New York.



798



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PF^NNSYLVANIA



Thomas P. Sweney attended t'^c schools of
Fairview township until eighteen years of age,
and from that age to the present time he has
followed farming. From 1885 to 1889 he
served in the revenue service, fulfilling his du-
ties faithfully. In 1883 he purchased the Henry
Mosey farm, which is situated on the road lead-
ing from New Cumberland to Lisburn, where
he is now located, carrying on general farm-
ing and dairying. Mr. Sweney's farm consists
of forty-five acres of good land, and his dairy
business is quite extensive, he selling his milk
at wholesale. His vote is cast in favor of the
Democratic party, and he has served on the
election board, and has been tax collector of his
township.

WILLIAM N. AUGHENBAUGH, a re-
tired farmer of North Codorus township, is
an honored veteran of the great Civil war. He
was born in Newberry township, Sept. 16,
1838,, son of Simon, and grandson of George
Aughenbaugh.

George Aughenbaugh was a farmer of Con-
ewago township, where he died, being buried
at a place called Aughenbaugh School House.
He had children : George, David, John and Si-
mon.

Simon Aughenbaugh was a farmer of New-
berry township, and married (first) Miss Nail-
er, by whom he had the following children :
Henry, John N., William N., Catherine,
George, Levina and Levi. After the death of
his first wife he married Elizabeth Nye, and
they removed to Cumberland county, near Car-
lisle, where he purchased the Nobel farm of
142 acres of land, and where he died a short
time after, at the age of forty-two years. Ten
months later the family returned to York coun-
ty, locating in Manchester township. ,

William N. Aughenbaugh received most
of his education in Newberry township, al-
though he also received some schooling in
Manchester township. As his father had died
when he was still a very small boy he was sent
out among strangers to make his own way,
being hired out in Spring Garden township for
one and one half years. In 1861 he enlisted
in gallant Company E, 87th P. V. I., tak-
ing part in all of the engagements of that reg-
iment except one. He served until Dec. 10,
1864, when he was discharged with the rank
of corporal. Although never receiving any



dangerous wounds, Mr. Aughenbaugh was tak-
en prisoner and held as such for ninety-one
days, and his experiences, as often related by
him, were thrilling in the extreme.

In 1865 Mr. Aughenbaugh married Mary
Gentler, daughter of Peter Gentler, of West
Manchester township. For one year after mar-
riage Mr. Aughenbaugh hired out in that tou'n-
ship, whence he went to Jackson township, be-
ing" employed there in a stone quarry for three
and one-half years. At the end of this time
he returned to West Manchester township, and
purchased the farm of Jacob Baer, where he re-
mained twenty-eight years. In 1897 he located
on his present home of four acres, which he
purchased of George W. Brenneman, near York
New Salem, and here he has resided to the pres-
ent time. To him and his wife were born the
following children : Catherine, the wife of A.
M. Glatfelter, who is farming in North Co-
dorus township ; Lydia Jane, married to M. G.
Emig, of the same township; and Allen Mon-
roe, now located in Allentown, Pennsylvania.

Mr. Aughenbaugh is a stanch Republican,
and when in West Manchester township served
as assessor, tax collector and supervisor. He
is a member of Wolf's Lutheran Church.

JOHN AMBROSE TROSTLE is en-
gaged in cultivating his farm in Paradise town-
ship. He was born in Adams county, near Ab-
bottstown. May 10, 1846.

John Trostle, the grandfather of our sub-
ject, came from Germany, and settled on a
farm near Holtz-Schwamm Church, where he
died. He married, and had a large family of
children, among whom was John (2), the
father of our subject.

John Trostle (2) was born in Adams
county, where he spent most of his life. He
followed farming from early manhood until
his death near Berlin. In politics he was a
stanch Democrat. He married Miss Eve Shet-
ler, and she also died in Berlin.

John Ambrose Trostle grew to manhood in
the neighborhood of East Berlin, and attended
the township schools, his first teacher being
Professor Brown. He left school at the age
of eig-hteen years, and remained with his fath-
er until of age, when, at twenty-one years of
age, he commenced to work out among the
farmers, and also at times worked at painting.
He was married in Paradise township, in 1874,



BIOGRAPHICAL



799



to Aliss Maria Ferrer, daughter of John and
Leah Ferrer, both deceased, who owned the
farm which now belongs to our subject. Al-
ter marriage Mr. Trostle rented this farm,
which became his on the death of his father-
in-law. This was in 1886, and since that time
]\Ir. Throstle has made many improvements,
including the erection of a new barn, 75x46
feet, and other buildings. Mr. Trostle is a
member of the Upper Conewago German Bap-
tist Church, in which he is very active. He is
a Democrat in politics, and has served as school
director. The children born to Mr. and Mrs.
Trostle are as follows : Minerva ; Jennie, who
married Bert Stambaugh, of Adams county,
and Edith.

SAMUEL F. ROCKEY, of York, was
born Nov. 29, i860, in Newberry township,
York county, at the Ball Hills, son of Henry
and Louise (Fobs) Rockey.

Frederick Rockey, the great-grandfather,
came from Germany with his two brothers —
Jacob and Leonard — and settled in York coun-
ty, where Red Lion now stands. He followed
brick laying, and was a very successful and
skillful mechanic. Although he lived to old
age, twenty years prior to his death he had a
very serious accident, falling from a scaffold
and receiving injuries which nearly resulted
fatally: but the noted Dr. Speck, of Lancaster
City, Pa., by his skill brought him back to
health. Frederick Rockey is buried in the
Lutheran cemetery on George street, in York,
Pa. He married Elizabeth King, and the chil-
dren born to them were : Sarah A., who mar-
ried Samuel Downs, died near Newberry, and
is buried in the Paddletown cemetery, New-
berry township : Samuel ; Jacob, who died at
Red Lion ; and John and George, who died in
Conewago township,

Samuel Rockey was born at Red Lion in
1798, received a common school education, and
followed farming in Fairview township. He
married Leah Kilmore, daughter of David and
Elizabeth (Malone) Kilmore, of Washington
township, and after his marriage removed to
Newberry township, renting a farm of Mathias
Boyer. Later he bought eighty acres in the
same township, where he followed farming un-
til his death, which occurred in 1872. He is
buried at the old Miller burying-ground in
Newberry township, where his wife, who passed



away in 1889, is also buried. Samuel Rockey
was a stanch Democrat in politics, while his
religious connections were with the Lutheran
Church of York. The children born to Sam-
uel and Leah Rockey were: George W., of
Newberry township; Maria Elizabeth, who
married Joseph Myers, and lives m Newberry
township; Henry, who is mentioned below;
Angeline, who married Henry Stettler, died
in Newberry township and is buried at Paddle-
town; Sarah Ann, married to Abraham ^^'olf,
and residing at Lewisberry borough; Rachel,
widow of Joseph Strawbaugh, residing on Phil-
adelphia street, York; Lydia, who died at the
age of fifteen years, and is buried in the Miller
graveyard ; Leah, who died young, and is bur-
ied in Newberry township ; and Jacob.

Henry Rockey was born in Newberry town-
ship and his education was received in the pub-
lic schools. He was married while young and
I)egan at once as a fanner in the same vicinjtv,
becoming well known and honored there. La-



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 152 of 201)