Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 154 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 154 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


to York county and settled in Newberry town-
ship. Although he learned the trade of cigar-
making he did not follow it continuously, soon



BIOGRAPHICAL



805



taking- up peddling, a business that was very
lucrative in those days before transportation
was made easy, so that the country people could
reach business centers. Mr. Bair followed ped-
dling through Dauphin and Perry counties for
thirty-five years, having his regular customers,
but kept his home in Newberry township. After
he retired from traveling he was elected jus-
tice of the peace in Newberry township and
served most capably in that office for a period
of fifteen years, or until his death, in 1896, at
the age of seventy-five years. In 1842 he mar-
ried Annie Rudy, daughter of George Rudy,
whose wife was a Miller. Mrs. Bair also died
in Newberry township, where she and her hus-
band are buried. In politics Mr. Bair was a
strong Democrat, and he served as school di-
rector for a long time.

The following children were born to Ben-
jamin Bair and his wife: David, who died aged
four years; George, who died young; Mary,
who died aged seventeen years ; Jacob, deceased
who served in the army during the Civil war ;
William, a farmer in Newberry township, who
married Kate Burns ; Elizabeth, who died aged
twenty-one years ; Kate, deceased, wife of Wil-
liam Basehore; Charles E., of this sketch;
George, foreman in a cigar factory, who mar-
ried Henriette Groom and lives at New Cum-
berland ; Sallie, deceased, who was the wife of
Isaiah Dugan; Benjamin, deceased, who mar-
ried Ellen Jennings; Leah, who died aged fif-
teen years ; Annie, who died aged seven years ;
Harry, deceased, who married Emma Cook;
and Rachel, wife of Jacob Sutton, who lives at
New Cumberland.

Charles E. Bair attended the public schools
of Newberry township until he was thirteen
years of age and then was placed with a cigar-
maker to learn the trade. He worked at that
business in Newberry for five years and then
removed to a point near Newberry and con-
ducted a business there for nine years, subse-
quently engaging in business in Newberry,
where he carried on large operations, having a
factory where he employed fifty skilled work-
men. Finding a better field at New Cumber-
land, he moved his factory there, taking with
him a force of ninety people, and for two years
he operated one of the largest industries of the
kind in that place. Then he sold the business
to John C. Herman and returned to Newberry
township, but a year later removed to Golds-
boro, where, in 1899, he bought a site and erect-



ed a fine cigar factory and handsome residence.

Mr. Bair has been a very successful manu-
facturer. He has a large established trade and
deals both wholesale and retail. In addition to
his great factory at Goldsboro, where he keeps
some fifty skilled workmen employed at all
times, he has a wholesale and retail store at No.
24 North 4th street, Harrisburg. He makes
a specialty of the Gen. Hartranft brand, and
through the excellence of his product is ready
to meet all competition.

In 1 87 1 Mr. Bair married Ellen Basehore,
daughter of Daniel and Mary (Fink) Base-
hore, both members of old and honorable fam-
ilies of York county. These children were
born to the union : AVilliam, who married Eli-
zabeth Herman, and resides at Mechanics-
burg; Fillmore, who married May Adlinger;
Annie ; Harvey, who married Nettie Rider, and
lives at Harrisburg ; Daniel, at home ; Vernon,
who died aged seven months ; Ross, who mar-
ried Elnora Pfisterer and lives at Goldsboro ;
Mar}', Charles, Orville, Benjamin and Ella,
at home; and Edwin, who died aged one year
and three months.

In politics Mr. Bair is a Democrat. He is
serving as one of the borough's worthy coun-
cilmen, is also a school director, and is promi-
nent in everything that concerns the well-being
of his community. He has been very promi-
nent for years in religious work, being- a valued
member of the Church of God, in which he is
an elder, and while he resided at Newberry was
Sunday-school superintendent for nine years.
It was mainly through his efforts and financial
help that a new church was built at New Cum-
berland.

FRANCIS LITTLETON BAIR, of
Spring Garden township, formerly of York, be-
longs to a family of German descent which has
been prominent in Lancaster county for almost
two centuries.

His paternal grandparents, Isaac and Jen-
nie (Sangry) Bair, had- a family as follows:
Benjamin, deceased; James: Peter: and Eliza-
beth, wife of Leander Vaughn.

Peter Bair married Sarah, daughter of
Frederick and Lydia (Whitman) Schenberger,
and to their union were born : Rev. Isaac, pas-
tor of an Evangelical Church in Northumber-
land county. Pa.; Beniamin Oscar, of Delta;
Elmer, of Delta ; Charles, a grocer at Laurel ;
Horace R., a divinity student, who died m



8o6



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



1895 : Lottie, wife of D. W. Detwiler, of York
county: Amanda, Mrs. Thomas Harris, of
Wrightsville ; Susan, who married (first) Ar-
thur P. Smith, and (second) James Adair, of
Red Lion; and Francis Littleton. Mrs. Sarah
S. Bair had one brother, Adam Schenberger, ot
Kansas, and a sister, Isabella, who married
(first) a Mr. Schenberger, (second) a Mr.
Wilkinson, and (third) Henry Lephart. _

Francis L. Bair was born in Lower Wmd-
sor township, York county, June 30, 1853. He
was educated in the public schools of South
Chanceford township and after finishmg his
education learned the carpenter's trade under
William Helder, of East Prospect. He was
thus engaged until 1884, when he gave up car-
pentry and went into the grocery busmess m
York on East Market street. Later he removed
to a location on Pirie street, in the same city,
and finally in 1900 moved beyond the city lim-
its entirely, and opened a business to the south-
ward, on Spring-dale avenue, in Spring Garden
township. Until September, 1904, he conduct-
ed his establishment there and met with the
greatest success, but at that time he disposed of
the business, and has not been actively engaged
in any other since. Mr. Bair owns considerable
property suitable for building sites, in the vicin-
ity of his last location, and has also put up a
number of substantial dwellings there.

In 1874 Mr. Bair was united in matrimony
to Miss Octavia Moody, the daughter of Will-
iam P. and Matilda (Young) Moody. To their
union have been born the following children:
Elsie M., the wife of H. C. Kellar ; Edward E.,
a druggist in York, who married Miss' Emma
May Fleming; Harry D., who married Miss
Minnie V. Henry, of York, and Robert M., at
home. Mrs. Bair was one of a family of eight
and had four brothers and three sisters, viz. :
Lyman B. ; John Milton; Edward E. ;_Young;
Ella, deceased; Ada, the wife of J; B. Bentz ;
and Amanda, the wife of John Rittenhouse.
Francis L. Bair, belongs to the I. O. H., and
in religious belief is connected with the Meth-
odist Episcopal Church, on South Duke street,
York, in which he is a trustee and an influential
member. He is an honorable, upright man and
good citizen and is greatly respected.

HENRY F. MARSHALL, of Paradi.se
township, York county, who has lived retired



for the last four years, was born in Adams
county, Feb. i, 1821.

John Marshall, his grandfather, died in
Adams county, aged ninety-nine years.

Samuel Marshall', father of Henry F., was
a native of Adams county, and was a saddler
and farmer by occupation. He died when
twenty-seven years of age. He married Sarah
Fuller, and their children were : Martha, de-
ceased, married a Berkheimer; Samuel, whoi
resides in the West; Miss Susanna; Rush, who!
resdes in the West; Herman, who died in York]
in 1901 ; Henry F. ; and two that died in m^
fancy. After the father's death, the mother wasj
married in that township to Henry Graff, thenj
removing to the farm now occupied by ourj
subject. She died at Abbottstown.

Henry F. Marshall was one year old when
his fatlier removed to Abbottstown, where a
short time later he died. Young Marshall grew
to manhood, attending the subscription schools
in Abbottstown and Paradise township, and left
school at an early age to learn the blacksmith's :
trade with Frederick Wolf, of Abbottstown.
This trade he followed in Abbottstown, Hamp-
ton and Oxford, and then worked at it for him-
self at the first named town, after which he en-
gaged in farming for his step-father.

Mr. Marshall was married to Miss Mary
McFarland, who died in 1888, in the faith of,
the Lutheran Church, to which our subject alsoj
belongs. He is a Republican and has served as f
school director for three years. Four years ago]
Mr. Marshall retired from farming, and since
that time his finely cultivated tract of 100 acres
has been cared for by others.

GEORGE INNERS (deceased), who for
thirty-five years was employed by the well
known firm of E. G. Smyser's Sons & Co., of l
York, as a patternmaker, was born in York
township, son of George and Lena (Evert) In-
ners.

Mr. Inners attended the common schools of ,
York township, and learned the carpenter's]
trade, and later the millwright's trade, at the;
latter of which he worked for several years. He
then engaged with E. G. Smyser's Sons & Co.,
where he was employed until his death, in July
1904. He was one of the firm's oldest employ-
ees, and one of the most skilled patternmak-
ers in the business, having the advantage over,
others of having first learned the carpenter's



BIOGRAPHICAL



807-



'trade. Mr. Inners was interred at Greenmont
cemetery, York. He was a Democrat, but only
took a good citizen's part in politics. In his
religious sympathies he was connected with the
Zion Lutheran Church of York. George In-
ners was a sober, industrious, honest citizen,
and was highly esteemed in York for his ster-
ling traits of character.

Mr. Inners was united in marriage with
Annie Elizabeth Mitzel, daughter of Henry and
Barbara (Hanighan) Mitzel, and to this union
were born: Nettie D. (a stenographer), Jen-
nie B., Bessie C, James C, and Annie AI. Mrs.
Inners resides at No. "^44 ^^^est King street,
York.

Among other specimens of ]\Ir. Inners"
work may be mentioned the pattern made by
him for the famous Brooklyn bridge, which
testifies to his skill as a patternmaker.

ISAAC HARRINGTON, the efficient and
highly esteemed passenger agent of the North-
ern Central Railroad in the city of York, is a
native of Delaware, having been born in the old
homestead, near Harrington Station, on the
Delaware Railroad, in Kent county, Jan. 16,
1849. The family was early established in that
locality, and the station mentioned was named
in honor of the ancestors of our subject. He is
a son of Peter D. and Elizabeth (Hamilton)
Harrington, both of whom are deceased, the
father having been a prosperous farmer of Kent
county, Del., while his also was the distinction
of having served as a valiant Union soldier dur-
ing the war of the Rebellion. He enlisted as
a private in the 6th Del. V. I., taking part in the
various engagements in which his command
was involved, and receiving his honorable dis-
charge at the expiration of his term of enlist-
ment. He w-as a Republican in politics, and
both he and his wiie were devoted members
of the Methodist Protestant Church. Their
children were as follows : David is a farni^i- of
Kent county, Del. ; Mary A. is the wife of Sam-
uel Graham, a retired farmer, and they reside
in Greenwood, Del. ; Maria is the wife of
Charles H. Jones, a farmer of Sussex county
Rebecca B. is the wife of George Outten, a
farmer of Kent county, D^l. : Bessie E. is the
wife of John H. Tones, who is likewise a suc-
cessful farmer of Kent ; and Isaac.

Isaac Plarrington passed his boyhood days
on the home farm, and his earlv educational



training was secured in the public schools of
his native county, after which he continued to-
assist in the work of the home farm until he
had attained his legal majority. Thereafter
he was for twelve years employed as clerk in a.
store and railroad office in Freeland, Md., and
in 1882 he came to York and became a clerk
in the freight office of the Northern Central
Railroad, retaining this position until 1890,
when he was transferred to the Northern Cen-
tral and Pennsylvania railroad ticket office,
where he served as ticket clerk for a num-
ber of years, while in January, 1897, h^ was
given full charge of the office, and has since
served in this capagjty, his course having been
such as to indicate the wisdom shown in pro-
moting him to the responsible office. He is
popular in the railroad circles, and also with the
general public, and is one of York's well-known
and honored citizens. In politics Mr. Har-
rington is a stanch Republican in so far as na-
tional issues are involved, but in local afifairs he
maintains an independent attitude and is lib-
eral in his views, as is he in all other relations
of life. He is affiliated with the local organi-
zation of the Sons of Veterans, and both he and
his wife are valued members of the Union Luth-
eran Chinxh, in which he has served as elder
since 1898.

On April 8, 1879, was solemnized the mar-
riage of Mr. Harrington to Miss Sarah 'M.
Cochran, daughter of John ^^^ Cochran, a
prominent farmer of Carroll county, Md., while
her mother, whose maiden name was Urith
Brown, was a lineal descendant from Lord
Cornwallis. Mr. and Mrs. Harrington have
two children, Alma Urith. wife of Andrew J.
]McLauren. who is engaged in the insurance
business in York. Pa. ; and Delmar Clvde, who
is assistant ticket clerk in the office of the
Northern Central Railway in York.

HARRY H. JONES, M. D. In no other
land on the face of the globe is there accorded
so perfect and consistent a recognition of in-
dividuality as in America. Here only has it
been possible to overcome the prejudicial ani-
mus against admitting the ability and capacity
of youth, and to afiford to the individual a full
province in which to exercise the most potent
functions of which he is capable, regardless of
the fact that ovev his head may not have passed
as many years as represent the respective ages



8o8



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



of those with whom he comes in competition
in an)' of the fields of human endeavor. An ex-
ample of the potentialities of comparative youth
in connection with one of the highest and nob-
lest of professions is afforded hi no uncertam
■way in the career of Dr. Jones, who is a repre-
sentative member of the medical profession in
his native county, being one of the popular and
successful physicians and surgeons of the city
of York. Dr. Jones was born in the borough
of Jefferson, York Co., Pa., July 12, 1872, son
of Dr. Henry Z. Jones.

Dr. David Jones, the Doctor's great-grand-
father, was a native of Wales, and on his emi-
gration to America located in Maryland, where
he attained to distinction in his profession.

Henry Z. Jones, Sr., grandfather of Dr.
Harry H., was born in Carroll county, Md.,
vv'hence he'came in an early day to York county,
Pa. Here he passed the remainder of his life.
He was a fanner by occupation.

Dr. Henry Z. Jones, father of Dr. Harry
H.. was born in Manchester, Md., in 1845. He
was a representative of one of the honored pio-
neer families of this section of the old Keystone
State, and became one of the leading members
of the medical profession in York county. He
was a graduate of the Medical Department of
the University of Maryland, and was for many
vears engaged in practice in Jefferson borough,
this county, where his death occurred in 1892,
his memory being held in lasting reverence by
those to whom he so ably ministered during the
long years of a peculiarly successful profes-
sional career. He was a Democrat in politics,
and his religious faith was that of the Reformed
Cliurch. He married Miss Sarah F. Hershey,
who was born and reared in this county, and
they became the parents of six children, of
whom four are living: Dr. Harry H. ; Nora A.,
a graduate of the State Normal School at Mil-
lersville, now a teacher in the York city schools;
Amy H., the wife of William F. Wiest; and
Dr. Pius H., who resides in Sunbury, Pa. Mrs.
Jones survived until 1900.

Dr. Harry H. Jones obtained his rudimen-
tary education in the public schools and later
attended a private school. Continuing his
studies in Leigh Baugher's Academy. Hanover,
Pa., Dr. Jones there prepared himself for col-
lege, duly matriculating in Pennsylvania Col-
lege. Gettysburg, where he completed the clas-
sical and scientific courses and was graduated



in the class of 1892, receiving the degrees of
A. B. and B. S. he is a member of Alpha Tau
Omega Greek letter fraternity. He then took
up the study of medicine under a private pre-
ceptor in Jetferson, and finally took one course
of lectures in the University of Maryland, after
which he completed the full four years" course
in the Medical Department of the University
of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, where he was
graduated in 1895, with the degree of Dbctor
of Medicine. Soon afterward he entered vig-
orously upon clinical and general professional
work in one of the leading hospitals of the city
of Philadelphia, where he remained one year,
gaining valuable experience and thus further
fortifying himself for the practical and success-
ful work of his chosen profession.

After his hospital service Dr. Jones returned
to his home in Jefferson borough, and took up
the practice which had been built up and con-
trolled by his honored father. There he re-
mained successfully established in practice for
a period of four years, at the expiration of
which he came to the city of York, in order to
secure a more comprehensive field of labor, and
one which would enable him to control a larger
office practice. His success in his work has
been most noteworthy, giving him status as a
physician of high attainments and distinctive
discrimination, while he has the high esteem of
his professional confreres, and the confidence
and regard of those to whom he has ministered.
Dr. Jones is one of the active and valued mem-
bers of the York County Medical Society, of
which he served as president in 1903, and he
also holds membership in the Pennsylvania
State Medical Society, the American Medical
Association, the American Academy of Medi-
cine and the International Medical Congress.
In 1902 he rendered efficient service in the of-
fice of county physician. Dr. Jones is a Dem-
ocrat in his political allegiance. Fraternally he
is identified with the Benevolent & Protective
Order of Elks and the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows. He is a member of the Re-
formed Church. He has an attractive home on
East Market street, and is also the owner of
other valuable realty in the county.

HENRY R. KRABER. The old city of
York has long been justly celebrated for its sub-
stantial business concerns, and among the many
lines which have particularly prospered is tint



BIOGRAPHICAL



809



of insurance, on account of the class of men
who handle it here. A case in point is Henry
R. Kraber, who has been in the field in York
for a number of years. Mr. Kraber is de-
scended from one of the oldest families in
Pennsylvania, his ancestors having been verj^
fully referred to in earlier histories of Penn-
sylvania.

Henry Kraber, the father of our subject,
died Feb. 19, 1887, aged sixty-four years, five
months, and twenty-eight days, while his wife,
who was Catherine E. Reichenbach, died in
May, 1881, her remains being interred in Lan-
caster cemeter}', at Lancaster, Pa. Mrs. Kra-
ber was the sister of George W. Reichenbach,
who during his life, was one of the most prom-
inent citizens of Lancaster, and was the found-
er and up to the day of his death, the secretary



while his mother was the daughter of Henry
Keeney.

During Ixiyhood Mr. Taylor attended the
public schools of Shrewsbury and York town-
ships, and then continued his education at the
Normal schools. During his last two years at
the Normal he also worked in several printing
ofiices, acquiring the rudiments of the printer's
trade. After he left school in 1884 he secured
employment with the Herald Printing Com-
pany, in Dallastown, learned his trade thor-
oughly, and remained there until 1891. In that
year he established a job printing office in town,
and succeeded so well that in 1894 he enlarged
his field greatly and established the Dallastown
Advocate. The paper was a success from the
beginning and has steadily extended its sphere
of usefulness and grown in public favor until



of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to it now has an assured place among the very



Animals. Our subject's only sister died in in
fancy, while his only brother, George B., is con-
nected with the Farmers' Insurance Company,
of York.

Henry R. Kraber was born in York, Nov.
6, 1854, was educated in the schools of York,
and at Lafayette College, at Easton, in the lat-



best weekly newspapers of the county. Inde-
pendent in its politics, it stands for the indus-
trial and moral progress of one of the most
prosperous and cultured communities in that
part of the State. Mr. Taylor is an able and
progressive journalist and sets a high standard
in his publication. Mr. Tavlor also carries a



ter institution being a member of the class of '^''§'^ 'j"^ °f up-to-date calendars, fans, blotters.



1876. In 1877 he went to Lancaster, and for
several years was in charge of a new and sec-
ond-hand book store. Returning to York, Mr.
Kraber read law with the late W. C. Chapman,
and then entered the insurance business. In
addition to the insurance business, Mr. Kraber
has been for many years a notary public, hav-
ing held commissions for that office from Gov-
ernors Pattison, Hastings, Beaver, Stone and
Pennypacker.

Mr. Kraber has been an active member of



novelties, and a variety of imported goods,
which he sells at the most reasonable prices,
and he is in a position to compete with any
house in the country. Mr. Taylor takes an ac-
tive part in municipal affairs and is now serving
his fifth term (fifteenth year) as a member of
the Dallastown council, and for seven years has
been treasurer. Fraternally he belongs to the
I. O. 0.. F., Dallas Lodge. No. 1017, and to the
Encampment branch of the same order ; to the
Independent Order of Americans, Washing-ton



the First Presbyterian Church of York, since ,^; S' ^^ ^^ ?^ ^■' ''"'^ ^''^ Independent Or-
der of Heptasophs.

Mr. Taylor was united in marriage Mav



1872, and has been a teacher in the Sunday
school from that time to the present, as well as
serving as deacon many years. He also takes
an active part in the Y. M. C. A., of York, and
has been a member of the York Oratorio So-
ciety since its organization. In politics he is
an earnest Republican.

DANIEL K. TAYLOR, editor of the Dal-
lastown Advocate, was born in Shrewsburv,
York county, Aug. 8. 1864, to Henry F. and
Annie Y. C Keeney) Taylor. His paternal
grandparents were John 'and Sarah Taylor,



26, 1889, to Miss Lovina E. Hildebrand, of
York, daughter of John H. and Leah Hilde-
brand. They have a family of four children,
Archibald E., Clinton M., Beatrice E. and Ger-
trude L.

^^^ASHINGTON LAIRD bears a name
long known and honored in Pennsvlvania,
where the family has been established for a cen-
tury' or more. The Lairds were originallv of
German stock, and the first to come to Amer-
ica was John, great-grandfather of Washing-



8io



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



ton, and on arriving in the New World he set-
tled in Lancaster county, Pa. He had a large
family, born as follows: John, Aug. 7, 1772;
William, Feb. 7, 1774; James, May 12, 1776;
Mary, May 26, 1778; William (2), Aug. 6,
1781; John (2), Feb. 2-], 1785; and Jane,
Julv 22, 1792.

'jchn Laird, son of the emigrant, moved
from Lancaster county to York, and settled m
Warrington township, where he became the
owner of about 200 acres of land. He married
Miss Barbara Ashenfelter, born June 10, 1784,
and their children were as follows : John, who
died at Pinetown; Polly, Mrs. John Sutton,
who died at Pinetown ; Elizabeth, Mrs. Daniel
Sutton, who died in Monaghan township ; Will-
iam ; Katie, Mrs. Daniel Hart, who died at Me-
chanicsburg; and Jacob, born in 181 1, who was
in the army for seventeen years, serving m both
the Mexican and Civil wars, a blacksmith by
trade who died in Fairview township. The
father of this family lost his life by falling from
a load of hay, the fall breaking his neck. He
was buried at Emanuel Church.

William Laird, born March 12, 1803, was



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 154 of 201)