Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 156 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 156 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and secured the position of night foreman in
the car barns of the York County Traction
Company. He remained incumbent of this po-
sition until April, 1895, when there came a
gratifying official recognition of his ability and
fidelity, in his being made superintendent of the
entire system, in which capacity he has since
continued to render most effective service, gain-
ing the unqualified approval of the public and
of the company by which he is employed. He



is also distinctively popular with the employees
of the company, having supervision of the
work of more than one hundred persons. He
was reared in the Mennonite faith but both lie
and his wife are now members of the Lutheran
Church. In politics he accords a stalwart al-
legiance to the Republican party, though he
has never been an active worker in the party
ranks nor has sought official preferment of any
description.

On May 8, 1899, Mr. Mellinger was united
in marriage to Miss Elmira Eyster, who was
born and reared in Lancaster county, a daugh-
ter of the late Elias Eyster, who was for many
years engaged in the hotel business in York.
Mr. and Mrs. Mellinger have no children.

WILLIAM GREEN, one of the enterpris-
ing business men of Railroad borough, York
county, was born in Shrewsbury township in
1864, son of Christian Green. The latter came
from Germany and settled in Shrewsbury town-
ship, where he bought a farm of seventy-five
acres, on which he lived until his death, at the
age of seventy-three years. He married Chris-
tine Brown, who died in 1889, and they were
both interred at Shrewsbury. Their children
were: Elizabeth, Louise, .Mary, Barbara and
William.

William Green received a good common-
school education, and then learned the tinning
business at Shrewsbury, with J. H. ]\Iaskel.
This business he followed for some six years,
after which he went to farming. He followed
agricultural pursuits for ten years, and also
ran the cars of produce for Edward Helb, at
Railroad borough, from that point to Balti-
more, and was so engaged for four years. In
1895 he married Mary Helb, daughter of the
late Frederick Helb, of whom extended men-
tion will be found elsewhere. She was reared
in Shrewsbury township, and attended the local
school, also the seminary at Lutherville, Alary-
land. '

Since his marriage Mr. Green has resided
at Railroad borough, and has been one of its
leading business factors. He is engaged in
building a new tannery there, on the site of
the one formerly owned by his father-in-law.
This will be a modern, well-equipped establish-
ment and will add to the business of the place.

Mr. and Mrs. Green have one daughter,
Rhoda. The family belong to the Lutheran
Church at Shrewsburv.



8i6



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



GEORGE F. SAUBEL, whose official po-
sitions have enabled him to come in close touch
with a large number of the citizens, has been
associated chiefly with Codorus township, but
his acquaintance is by no means limited to that
section.

George Saubel, his paternal grandfather,
was of German parentage. He was a land-
owner and farmer in Manheim township, and
died there when eighty-three years of age. He
married Lydia Geiselman, and their children
were : Mary A., and Lucy, both of whom were
married to Adam Kaltreider; and Michael.

Michael Saubel was a lifelong farmer in
Manheim township. A Democrat in his poli-
tics, he was very active in township affairs, and
was chosen by his fellow citizens to fill various
offices connected with the administration of
the township. In religious belief he was a
Lutheran. Mr. Saubel was twice married, but
his children were both by his first wife, Eleanor,
daughter of Joseph Leader. She died in 1885,
and afterward Mr. Saubel married Matilda
Rohrbaugh, daughter of Henry Z. Rohrbaugh,
of Manheim township. Michael Saubel died
in 1900, and was buried in the graveyard of
the Stone Church in Codorus township, where
his first wife is also interred. He is survived
by his two sons, George F. and Joseph M., the
latter of whom married Maria Bortner, and
lives in Shrewsbury township.

George F. Saubel was born in Manheim
township, Jan. 18, 1859. He first attended the
district schools and then a graded school at
Glen Rock. Always a good student, when he
was sixteen he began teaching in his home
section, and was so occupied for six terms. A
period of three years was then spent in the
mercantile business, but at the end of that time
he returned to his former vocation and taught
in Codorus township for sixteen years. In
1900 he became clerk of the courts for York
county, beginning his duties the first Monday
in January, and until January, 1903, filled that
office to the greatest satisfaction of his con-
stituents, for he observed the greatest accuracy
in every detail, becoming very popular, not
only in the city of York but throughout the
county. For some seventeen years he had also
filled the office of justice of the peace, and
March 24. 1903, was appointed notary public,
and is still discharging the duties of that posi-
tion, in connection with his work in surveying.

Mr. Saubel is also interested in farming



as he bought a fine place of seventy-five acres
in Codorus township, owning in addition
another tract of twenty acres, on which
in 1903 he built his home. The buildings on
the place are all new and modern in style, and
his view is one of the finest in the county.

Mr. Saubel married Miss Lavina Bricker,
daughter of Gejjrge and Catherine ( Shue)
Bricker. The three children born to thdm
were: Rosa E., who died in infancy; Annie
C, wife of Robert E. Hamm, of Codorus town-
ship; and Lettie May. In his political affilia-
tions Mr. Saubel is a Democrat, and in religion
is a Lutheran, a member of the Stone Church.
He is active in all the church work, but par-
ticularly in the Sunday-school.

WILLIAM J. SCHALL was born on
North George street, York, Pa., July 5, 1857^
son of Joseph E. and Maria (Gardner) Schall.

Joseph E. Schall, Sr., grandfather of our
subject, for many years kept the hotel known as
the "Black Horse Tavern," which was located
between the Pennsylvania and Western Mary-
land railroads on North George street, but re-
tired from this business some years before his
death, which occurred when he was eighty-
seven years old. He married Mary Emmet,
born in York, and these children were born to
them; William; Joseph E. (2): Annie, who
became Mrs. T)uncan, died in Baltimore; Jane,
who married Henry Eichelberger, also died in
Baltimore ; Sophia married Alexander Fry, and
died in York.

Joseph E. Schall (2) was born at the corner
of Philadelphia and George streets, and spent
his entire life in York Cit3^ By trade he was a
carpenter, and helped to build many buildings-
in this city. He died at his home on North
George street, June 26, 1894. Mr. Schall mar-
ried Maria Gardner, daughter of Jacob Gard-
ner, and she is still living, aged seventy-nine
years. The children of this union were : Mary,
who married Charles Ebaugh, of York ; Will-
iam J. ; and Charles, of York.

William J. Schall ' received his education
between the ages of six and seventeen years,
and then started to learn the plumbing trade,
with D. D. Doudel, which apprenticeship laste(
three years. He then followed this trade as a
journeyman for four years, when he opened a
shop for himself at the corner of North and
George streets, where he remained three years.
At this time he removed to the lower end of



BIOGRAPHICAL



817



South Queen street, also operating his shop
on South Ge(jrge street, where he remained
nine years, and then located at his present place
of business, No. 336 South Queen street, turn-
ing the stable that stood on the rear part of the
lot, into a shop. Here he has become ver\r suc-
cessful and he enjoys a large business and the
confidence of the people. He is painstaking in
his work, as the excellence of the latter testi-
fies, and never fails to give satisfaction.

Mr. Schall was married in York, in 1880,
to Miss Rebecca Landis, daughter of Reuben
and Lydia Landis, both of whom are deceased.
One child was born to this union, Daisy May,
who died at the age of fiiteen years. Mr.
SchaJl is a member of the First Reformed
Church. In politics he is a stanch Democrat,
and has been active in the ranks of that party
since he attained his majority, casting his first
vote for Governor Andrew H. Dill, while his
first presidential vote was cast for Llancock. In
fraternal circles, Mr. Schall is well known, be-
ing a popular member of Keystone Conclave,
No. 12, of the Heptasophs.

SOLOMON F. ROSER, a merchant lo-
cated at Green Ridge Station, on the Western
Maryland railroad, is a worthy descendant of
one of York county's oldest families. He was
born June 24, 1870, in Codorus township, son
of Levi E. and Lucy Ann (Rohrbaugh)
Roser.

Lawrence Roser, the first of the family in
America, came from Germany and settled in
York county, and then moved to Adams county,
Pa., but in a few years returned to York county
where he died. His children were : George,
John, Philip, Elizabeth, Barbara, Christina, Re-
becca and Lawrence.

Philip Roser, great-grandfather of Solomon
F., was born in Codorus township. In early
life he followed the trade of a weaver, but later
engaged in farming in Codorus township,
where he died at the age of seventy-five years.
He married Christine Brenneman, who died
at the age of forty-five years, and both are
buried in Codorus township. Their children
•were: John, David, Jesse and ]\Iary (who mar-
ried George ]\Iarkel).

John Roser was born in Codorus township,
where he followed farming. He married
(first) Julia Eppley, daughter of John and
Mary (Breeker) Eppley. She died aged sixty-
two years, and was buried at the well-known



Stone Church in Codorus township. He mar-
ried (second) Barbara Fishel, wIkj still resides
at York. The children of the first marriage
were: Levi E. ; Mary, wife of Jacob Miller;
and Ephraim, Julian, Lydia and Sarah, all de-
ceased. The children of the second marriage
were : John, Paul and Bert. John Roser was
a very prominent farmer in his locality for
many years, living retired the latter part of
his life. His death took place at the age of
sixty-nine years, and he was laid to rest in the
Stone Church cemetery.

Levi E. Roser, father of Solomon F., was
born March 4, 1840, in Codorus township.
The earlier part of his life was spent at home
and he first engaged in farmine". but later was
employed in a mill as chopper for three vears.
In 1895 he bought the old Klinedinst property
with twenty-five acres of land in Codorus
township, and he is still engaged in the milling
business at that point. He is a Democrat in
his political views. He is one of the oldest
members of Shrewsbury Lodge No. 143, I. O.
O. F., having joined in 1865. Levi E. Roser
married Lucy Ann Rohrbaugh, daughter of
Solomon ancl Catherine (Brenneman) Rohr-
baugh. Their chilclren are: John, E., living
near Larue, engaged in farming, married Julia
Diehl, now deceased; Israel, at home: Heister,
who married Savilla Rohrbaugh, and is fore-
man of S. B. Brodbeck's creamery at Green
Ridge, Pa. ; Solomon F. ; ^Villiam H., who
married Ellen Utz, and resides at home assist-
ing his father in the mill ; Sarah, wife of George
Messersmith, of Codorus township: and
Amanda, wife of Chester G. Rohrbaugh, of
New Freedom, York county.

Solomon F. Roser obtained his education
in the township schools, which he attended until
he was fourteen years of age, when he was em-
ployed with S. B.. Brodbeck, being general
utility man for two years on the farm and in the
store, but at the age of sixteen he began to be
a regular clerk in the store, and remained there
for two years, and then came to Green Ridge,
taking charge of both store and warehouse.
On March 15, 1892, Mr. Roser bought out
Mr. Brodbeck, and since that period has been
operating the business on his own account. Be-
ing the only merchant at Green Ridge he has
3. wide field and does an immense business,
carrying a well selected stock of all kinds of
merchandise. He has added a department for
the repairing of clocks and jewelrv, and as he



Si8



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



makes it apparent that he desires to please, his
.trade is constantly on the increase.

Mr. Roser married Lucinda Caslow, dangh-
ter of Jacob and Lucy (Gentz) Caslow, and a
member of a prominent family of York coun-
ty. The great-grandfather of ]Mrs. Roser
took part in the Revolutionary war. Mr. and
Mrs. Roser have two children, ;\Ielvin G. and
Florence.

In politics Mr. Roser is a Democrat. For
a number of years he has been very active in
the various fraternities, being a member of
Rock Council, No. 54. Jr. O. U. A. M., of
Glen Rock; No. 318, K. of P., of Hanover;
Islo. 908, I. O. O. F., of Jefferson; No. 152, K.
•of M., of York; and the Royal Arcanum, of
Hanover. He is a member of the Lutheran
Church.

ISRAEL FREY is a representative busi-
ness man of the city of York, and is also a
member of an old ai^d prominent family of
York county, which has been his home from
the time of his birth. He is president and
treasurer of the Spring Garden Brick Com-
jpany, which was incorporated in 1903, his asso-
-ciate in the enterprise bein"g his brother, Clin-
ton D., who is secretary and general manager
-of the company. The plant of the concern is
operated by steam power, and the eciuipment
throughout is of approved modern type, insur-
ing facility in manufacture and maximum
evenness and perfection in the output. The
-office of the company is located on East King
-street, near the Pennsylvania Railroad, and the
■extensive brick yards are on the Maryland &
Pennsjdvania Railroad, in the same section of
-the city. An average force of about twenty-
■.five men is employed, while a large local trade
us controlled and large shipments made to the
<city of Baltimore, Md., and other points in
'.this section.

Israel Frey was born on the old homestead
farm, in Spring Garden township, this county,
-Aug. 25, 1848, being sixth in the order of birth
-of the eight children born to Israel, Sr., and
'Sarah (Reamer) Frey, both natives of York
■county and members of sterling pioneer fam-
ilies of German extraction, and grandson of
Samuel Frey.

Samuel Frey was one of the early settlers
of Spring Garden township, where he devel-
oped a farm, and continued to reside until his
■death.



Israel Frey, Sr., was born about 1814, and
his death occurred in 1885. He was one of
the substantial farmers and highly honored citi-
zens of Spring Garden township, where he con-
tinued to reside until he was summoned from
the field of life's endeavors. He was a stalwart
Democrat in his political allegiance, and was a
man of strong' individuality and alert mental-
ity, while both he and his wife were devoted
and consistent members of the Lutheran
Church. His wife, Sarah (Reamer), was a
daughter of William Reamer, another pioneer
of the county, and her death occurred in 1856.

Israel Frey, our subject, was reared to the
sturdy discipline of the farm, while his educa-
tional opportunities in his youth were those
afforded in the district schools of his native
township. He attended school during the win-
ter months, and assisted in the work of the
farm during the summer seasons until he had
attained the age of sixteen years, after which
he learned the carpenter's trade, under the di-
rection of Henry Sleeger, of Freystown, now
of the city of York. After completing his
apprenticeship Mr. Frey followed his trade
until 1879, when he became interested in the
manufacture of brick, as a member of the firm
of Israel Frey & Comp'any, which was suc-
ceeded by the present company, incorporation
having been made to facilitate and expand the
business. The plant of the company is located
on the Maryland & Pennsylvania railroad in
Spring Garden township. Mr. Frey is
a reliable, energetic and progressive business
man, and is known as one of the loyal citizens
of his native county. In politics he is aligned
as a stalwart supporter of the principles of the
Democratic party, and both he and his wife
are members of Trinity United Evangelical
Church, while their pleasant residence property
is located at No. 145 South Duke street,, in one
of the most attractive sections of York.

On June 29, 1873, was solemnized the mar-
riage of Mr. Frey to Miss Louisa Kalb, daugh-
ter of John and Catherine (Schment) Kalb, of
Baltimore, Md., and they have had two sons,
Percy Kalb, born Jan. 27, 1876; and Clarence
Lee, born June 28, 1874, died Dec. 16, 1897.

E. L. APPLE, founder of the E. L. Apple
Company, manufacturers of leather flynets at
Wellsville, York county, one of Pennsylvania's
large industries, which finds a market for its
goods all over the L'nited States, was born



BIOGRAPHICAL



819



March 30, 1848, in Carlisle, Pa. He is a son
of Benjamin F. and Lydia (Heiges) Apple,
and a grandson of Philip and Susanna
(Plouse) Apple.

Ths Apple family is of German origin, and
the great-grandfather of Mr. Apple came to
America from Germany, settling in Pennsylva-
nia. Philip Apple first located in Hanover, York
county, and still later removed to Carlisle,
Pa., where he followed his trade of butcher
and saddle-tree maker all of his active life. He
died in Hanover. He and his wife were the
parents of these children : Charles, Alexander,
Benjamin F., Emanuel, Elizabeth, Emmeline
and Henrietta. In religious belief Mr. Apple
and his wife were Lutherans. It is thought
that he was a Whig in political sentiment.

Benjamin F. Apple was born in Carlisle
Oct. 30, 1822, and his wife Lydia was born
Jan. 20, 1816. He received his education in
Cumberland and York counties. His father
had returned to Hanover, when the son was
fifteen years old, and there Benjamin learned
the cooper's trade, as well as that of brickmak-
ing, which vocation he followed until 1861,
when he commenced farming in Washington
township. From that occupation he retired
about seven years prior to his decease, on Sept.
15, 1890, when he was aged sixty-seven years,
ten months, fifteen days.

On Aug. 26, 1864, Mr. Apple enlisted in
Washington township, York county, for one
year or during the war, in Co. I, 209th Reg., P.
V. I., 9th Army Corps (Capt. John Klugh, of
Franklintown, commanding), and was wound-
ed while in front of Petersburg, the injury in-
capacitating him for the rest of his life. Mr.
Apple served about nine months, and became
a corporal, and his record is one of which any
man might well be proud. He was honorably
discharged at the close of the war by general
orders.

Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin F. Apple were the
parents of the following children: Henrietta,
who married Michael Brown and was the
mother of Emma, Ella and Lucy ; E. L. Apple,
of this sketch; Sarah, who married Calvin
Hinkle, and had these children — Alvin, Clay-
ton, Minnie, Ella, James, Maggie and John;
John A. Apple, of York, who married Cather-
ine Shaeffer ; and George W. Apple, who mar-
ried Alice Crawford, of Indiana, and has three
children — INIarie, Jesse and Mamie. Mrs.
Lydia Apple died in September, 1876. at the



age of sixty years, seven months and twenty-
one days. Like her husband she was a member
of the Reformed Church. Mr. Apple's second
marriage, which took place in 1880, was to
Mrs. Maria (Bupp) Hullinger, widow of Levi
Hullinger, and she is still living in Harrisburg.
In political matters Mr. Apple was a Repub-
lican, bvit he never aspired to public office.

E. L. Apple received his education in the
common schools of York county, and was
reared on the farm, upon which he remained
until twenty years old. At that age he was
apprenticed to Daniel Mummert to learn the
harnessmaker's trade, and after two years, hav-
ing completed his apprenticeship, he worked
for Lewis Worley, at Petersburg, Adams
county. In 1870 Mr. Apple opened a shop at
his father's home, where he remained about
one year. He then removed to Rossville, York
county, and opened an establishment which he
conducted until 1880, in which year he started
his present business, the manufacturing of fly-
nets, carrying it on at that place until 1892.
He then removed his plant to Wellsville, and
united with the Wells Whip Company, with
whom he remained one year. When the United
States Whip Company absorbed both the whip
and net manufactories, a new independent net
industry was formed under the name of the
Wellsville Manufacturing Company, remaining
as such until 1902. In that year, on Nov. 15th,
the plant was destroyed by fire. Mr. Apple
had withdrawn in September, 1902, and in
January, 1903, broke ground for his present
manufactory. The building is 126x28, two
stories, attic and basement, and employment is
given to an average of sixty hands. The
trade of the firm is constantly increasing,
three traveling salesmen being steadily em-
ployed. Mr. Apple's management is of the
best, and he is ably seconded by his partner,
Mr. W. D. Brougher.

E. L. Apple was married Feb. 15, 1872, to
Miss Katie Urich, daughter of John Urich, of
Dover township, and these children have been
born to the union : Gertrude married Russell
R. Reiff, D. D. S., of New Cumberland, and
they have one child, Lloyd E. ; Grace E. is a
bookkeeper and stenographer for her father;
John F. is deceased ; Harvey B. works in the
manufacturing department of his father's
plant; Lloyd is also engaged in the factory;
Raymond Dale is deceased.

In relisfious belief the familv are luembers



820



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



of the ]M. E. Church. In his poHtical views
]\Ir. Apple is a Repubhcan, has held the office
of township treasurer of Warrington town-
ship, and has been a school director of Wells-
ville borough for six years. Fraternally he is
affiliated with the Heptasophs.

Mr. Apple is a well c]ualified, practical me-
chanic, and much of the success of the industry
of which he is the head is owing to his careful
supervision, by which the high standard of the
goods is maintained. Besides his connection
with E. L. Apple & Co. he is the heaviest stock-
holder in the Wellsville ]\Ianufacturing Com-
pany's plant.

WILLIAM S. EISENHART, D. D. S., is
following in the professional footsteps of his
father, Avho was one of the distinguished and
prominent members of the dental profession in
Pennsylvania at the time of his death, as well
as one of York county's influential and highly
esteemed citizens.

Charles A. Eisenhart, D. D. S., father of
William S., was born in York county, Feb. 22,
1844, son of Dr. Jacob Eisenhart. His lineage
is traced back to stanch German origin in both
the agnatic and maternal branches. His pater-
nal ancestors settled in Pennsylvania in the
Colonial era of our national history. Dr.
Eisenhart was reared in his native county. He
•was a man of high attainments, especially in
the line of his profession, to which he devoted
the best years of his life, having been one of
the leading dental practitioners of York coun-
ty and well known to his confreres throughout
the State. As a young man he was a successful
teacher in the schools of Manchester township,
and, after preparing himself for his profession,
he removed to Michigan, and located in Mar-
shall, Calhoun county, Avhere, in i860, he en-
tered into a professional partnership with Dr.
Eggleston; this mutually helpful alliance con-
tinuing for a considerable length of time. Upon
its dissolution Dr. Eisenhart returned to York,
where he continued in the active practice of his
profession until the time of his death, which oc-
curred April 23, 1 90 1. He made a special
study of electricity, particularly in connection
with operative dentistry as a substitute for the
dangerous anesthetics, making application for a
patent upon a method for thus applying electric-
ity in extracting and filling teeth. The inven-
tion is wonderfully successful and has met with
a large sale among leading members of the pro-



fession, while the device has brought the name
of its honored inventor into wide repute. Dr.
Charles A. Eisenhart was one of York's most
progressive and public-spirited citizens, and
commanded the high regard of all who knew
him. He was for seven years a member of the
board of education, was a stockholder in the
York Safe & Lock Company, and at the time
of his demise was president of the City Build-
ing & Loan Association and of the York Tele-
phone Company. In politics he was an uncom-
promising Republican, and both he and his wife
were zealous and valued meml^ers of the Luth-



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 156 of 201)