Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 157 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 157 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


eran Church, of which their fi\'e children like-
wise are members.

On Dec. 5, 1872, was solemnized the mar-
riage of Dr. Charles A. Eisenhart to Miss
Emma C. Pfahler, who was born and reared in
York county, daughter of Charles and Cather-
ine (Weiser) Pfahler. Mrs. Eisenhart died
Sept. 2, 1898, at the age of fifty-two years, and
she is survived by her- five children, all of \yhom
still reside in York, namely: William S.,
Luther P., Jacob C, Harry W. and M. Herbert.
Dr. William S. Eisenhart was born in the
family residence, on W^est Philadelphia street,
in the borough of York, April 2y, 1874, and he
had the advantages of a cultured and refined
home, as well as those afforded in the public
schools of his native city. He completed a
course in the high school, in which he was
graduated as a member of the class of 1892.
He then passed one year in the study of den-
tistry in the office and under the direction of
Dr. Herbert Smith, one of Massachusetts' lead-
ing practitioners, afterward matriculating in
the dental department of the University of
Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, where he com-
pleted the prescribed curriculum in both opera-
tive and laboratory departments, and gradu-
ated a member of the class of 1-896, receiving
his degree of D. D. S. He forthwith opened
his present attractive and handsomely appoint-
ed offices on West Market street, in the city of
York, where he has built up a representative
practice, having the best of mechanical and
other facilities and being recognized as an able
and progressive member of his profession. He
is a member of the Alumni Association of
Pennsylvania University, and is identified with
the State and district dental associations,while
in a social way he holds membership in the
Bachelor's Club and the York Country Club,
being especially popular in the social life of his



BIOGRAPHICAL



821



native city, where his circle of friends is equal
to that of his acquaintances. He is a member
of the directorate of the York Telephone Com-
pany and the City Building & Loan Associa-
tion. In politics the Doctor gives his allegi-
ance to the Republican party, and his religious
faith is indicated by his membership in St.
Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church, and in the
council of that organization.

ROLAND F. SEITZ, who has been
known to the citizens of Glen Rock, Shrews-
bury township, as a composer and teacher of
music, was born June 14, 1867, ™ Shrewsbury
township, son of William and Magdalene
(Zeigler) Seitz, the former of whom died when
our subject was three years old.

Roland F. Seitz attended the public schools
of Shrewsbury township, and later learned the
printer's trade, which he followed for aboLii
five years in the Item ofifice at Glen Rock.
From boyhood his musical talent has been
marked, and he has given much attention to
the study of music and the development of his
talent. When quite a young man he began to
write and teach music, and in 1894 he entered
Dana's Musical College at Warren, Ohio, from
which he graduated in 1898, having taken a
regular course of study. After receiving his
musical education he returned to Glen Rock,
where he has since been engaged in teaching,
composing and publishing music.

Some of Mr. Seitz's compositions have met
with great success, having a large sale in nearly
every State in the union as well as in Canada.
Two compositions which have been particularly
successful are those entitled "Institute" and
"Brooks' Marine Band," having had a large
sale since their publication. Mr. Seitz does
quite a large business in the sheet music line,
his name as composer being known in all parts
of the country. For four years he was leader
of the Glen Rock Band, an organization of
high musical ability.

On Jan. 2;^, 1902, Mr. Seitz married Miss
Mattie Heathcote, daughter of Charles Heath-
cote, and one child has been born to this union.'
Mrs. Seitz is a member of the Lutheran Church.

EDWARD B. NEWMAN, justice of the
peace and high school teacher in Glenville, Co-
dorus township, is a selfmade man, who se-
cured his education and fitted himself for his
present position in the face of obstacles that



might well have discouraged him. He was
born in North Codorus township ?ilarch 16,
1868.

The Newman family is of Scotch origin,
and the great-grandfather came from Scotland
to Maryland and settled on a farm in Wash-
ington county, where he died. His five chil-
dren were John, Daniel, Jacob, Michael and
Catherine.

John Newman was a farmer like his father,
and lived on a tract of 100 acres in Heidelberg
(now Penn) township, near theborough of Han-
over. He operated his farm till he was about
sixty years old, and then moved into the town,
where he died eleven years later. He married
Elizabeth Bortner, daughter of Michael and
Elizabeth Markel, who died when only thirty-
seven years old, leaving one child, John B.
John Newman is buried in Hanover, while his
wife is buried at FisceFs church, in Shrews-
bury township.

John B. Newman was born in Shrewsbury
township, Oct. 26, 1836, but was reared in Co-
dorus township and North Codorus township,
where he attended the public schools till he was
sixteen. He then learned the blacksmith's
trade under George Markel, and after working
with him three years and a half, went to Seven
Valley. There he followed various occupa-
tions, working as a farmer, a miner and an em-
ploye of the Northern Central Railroad. His
residence in Seven Valley covered the period
of the Civil war, and Mr. Newman witnessed
Stewart's charge there. The war has always
been a topic of much interest to Mr. Newman,
and he is remarkably well informed on it. espe-
cially on the events occurring in and around
Seven Valley. In 1869 he opened a blacksmith
shop near Glenville, on the road leading to
Glen Rock, and conducted it for thirty-live
years and eight months, but Nov. 22, 1904, he
moved into Glenville, making his home with
his son. He still has a shop, however, and in
spite of his age can shoe a horse as well as any
one in the county.

The wife chosen by John B. Newman bore
the maiden name of Lemanda Brenneman, and
was born in old Codorus township, April 13,
1837, daughter of Christian and Christine
(]\Iarkel) Brenneman. She was married to
Mr. Newman Feb. i, 1855, by Rev. Jacob
Sechler, and they have passed more than half
a century of wedded life together. Their chil-
dren were born as follows : Sarah, born Feb.



822



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



17, 1856, died Feb. 18. 1859; Lucy Ann, born
April 13, 1857, died Aug. 14, 1857; John F.,
born March 31, 1858, died Sept. 9, 1858; Be-
linda, born Feb. 22, i860, died Aug. 7, i860;
Emma J., born May 27, 1861, married John
D. Bortner and hves near Bortner's mill, Codo-
rus township; Julian E., born June 8, 1864, is
the wife of William Bahn, of West Philadel-
phia; Mary Catherine, born Aug. 21, 1865,
married John B. Beek, of Spring Grove; Wil-
liam Henry, born Jan. 4, 1867, died Aug. 16,
1867; and Edward B.

Edward B. Newman first attended the Bort-
ner school in Codorus township, then went to
Glen Rock Academy for three terms, when it
was taught by Prof. R. R. Rodes, and also
spent three spring terms at the Glenville Acad-
emy under Prof. John E. Bahn. His educa-
tion, however, was secured by his own hard
toil, as his lack of means necessitated his work-
ing in any way available to earn the money
for his schooling, which generally was enjoyed
one term at a time. He learned his father's
trade, and worked with him for over five years.
His experience as a teacher has been quite ex-
tensive, and it began in Manheim township,
where he taught two years ; he then taught four
years in Codorus township, one in Glenville
Academy, six in Codorus again, and since 1902
has been at Glenville, which has the only town-
ship high school in the county. Mr. Newman
is principal of the Normal Department, and is
well qualified for the position, meeting its de-
mands most satisfactorily. In 1900 he was
elected justice of the peace, and re-elected in
1905.

On Aug. 23, 1 89 1, Mr. Newman was mar-
ried to Miss Elizabeth Cornelia Rinehart,
daughter of Henry and Mandilla (Herbst)
Rinehart, who was born Feb. i, 1874. The
wedding ceremony was performed at the home
of the bride's parents Aug. 23, 1891. Two
daughters have been born to them, viz. : Annie,
March 26, 1893 ; and Dora, Nov. 4, 1894. The
family reside on a small farm which Mr. New-
man bought March 31, 1905. It contains
twenty acres, and ninety-six perches of land,
and during the summers he takes a part in the
farm work, in addition to the other demands
upon his time.

Air. Newman is a Democrat in politics, and
a Lutheran in religious belief. He is active in
the work of the Stone Church, has been deacon,
both teacher and assistant superintendent of the
Sunday-school, and for the past ;ight years has



bee'a the superintendent. Before coming to
Glenville, he had for five years been superin-
tendent of the Fair's Union Sunday-school in
Codorus township.

BRANTLY F. PARKER, M. D., who is
engaged in the practice of his profession in the
city of York, is one of the representative young
phvsicians and surgeons of the county, and,
within the comparatively brief period of his
professional endeavors in this field, he has
gained a prestige which bespeaks his ability and
also his personal facility in winning confidence
and esteem of a popular order. He is an ex-
emplar of the Homoeopathic school of medicine,
whose beneficent principles and system have
won the highest recognition and are gaining
new endorsement, scientifically and popularly,
each succeeding year.

Brantly Fuller Parker is a native of Mary-
land, born in Baltimore, Sept. 10, 1877, son of
Rev. .Charles D. and Alverda (Shaw) Parker,
the former of whom was born in Virginia and
the latter in Ohio, while they now reside in
York, Pa., where the father, a clergyman of
the Baptist Church, has a pastoral charge. Dr.
Parker attended the public schools and also a
private school in his native State and later be-
came a student in South Jersey Institute, at
Brighton, N. J., where he remained until he
had attained the age of twenty-one years. He
then took up the study of medicine under the
preceptorship of Dr. A. G. Stevens, of Cape
May, N. J., and in 1899 he was matriculated
in Hahnemann Medical College, Philadelphia,
where he completed the prescribed curriculum,
and was graduated as a member of the class
of 1903, duly receiving his degree of Doctor
of Medicine. Shortly after his graduation he
located in York, and here he is meeting with
gratifying success, and is building up a repre-
sentative practice. He is a member of the
Goodno Medical Society, and the Homoeo-
pathic State Medical Society of Pennsylvania.
In a fraternal way he is affiliated with the Im-
proved Order of Heptasophs, while in his polit-
ical allegiance he is stanchly arrayed as a sup-
porter of the principles of the Republican party.
He is a member of the Baptist Church, in which
faith he was reared.

FREDERICK W. KOTTCAMP, deputy
sheriff of York county, is justl)^ considered one
of the most popular young men of York. Mr.
Kottcamp's h'nth occurred Sept. 28, 1870, in



BIOGRAPHICAL



823.



York, and he is a son of Henry Y. and Sopliia
C. (Neater) Kottcamp.

Henry Y. Kottcamp, who is a retired hme
burner, residing at No. 331 West Philadel-
phia street, York, came to America from Ger-
many, and settled in York. He married So-
phia C. Neater, daughter of Frederick Neater,
who came to York when young. They had
children as follows : Carolina, Mary, George
and Wilhelmina. all died in early childhood ;
Charles E.,a lime burner of York;William H.,
a slater of York ; Jerry F., a machinist at the
A. B. Farquhar works ; and Frederick W.

Frederick W. Kottcamp was educated in
the public schools, but was compelled to give
up his studies on account of failing health. His
first occupation was at lime burning, working
for his father for five years, and he was then
appointed constable of the Fifth ward to fill an
unexpired term. He became his own succes-
sor and was twice elected constable of that
ward for terms of three years each, and at the
last election to that position, in 1902, received
a majority of 136, the greatest majority ever
given in that ward up to that time. After serv-
ing intelligently and faithfully as constable of
the Fifth ward for seven years and three
months, ]\Ir. Kottcamp was appointed deputy
sheriff by Sheriff Manifold, assuming the du-
ties of that office on the first Monday in Jan-
uary, 1905.

Mr. Kottcamp has been a member of The
Vigilant Steam and Chemical Fire Engine
Company No. i, of York, since Dec. 4, 1891,
and also belongs to the Firemen's Relief As-
sociation. As a fireman, he has for years been
prominent, representing his company at con-
ventions, and now being a member of the State
Firemen's Association. He was also a mem-
ber of the detective biu'eau of the police de-
partment of York from the date of its organ-
ization imtil he became a deputy sheriff. He
has for many years taken an active interest in
athletic sports, and for a long time was um-
pire for the Y. M. C. A., and later for the Penn
Park Athletic Association. In politics he is a
Republican, but he has almost as many sup-
porters and friends in the ranks of the Demo-
crats, as he has among the Republicans.

WILLIAM M. FLICKER, editor and
manager of the Dillsburg Bulletin, one of the
leading newspapers of York county, was born
July 27, 1877, son of Aaron B. and Susan E.



(Miller) Flicker, the former of Warrington,
and the latter of Carroll township.

Valentine Flicker, grandfather of our sub-
ject, was a prosperous farmer of Warrington
township for many years. He was a member
of the United Brethren Church, while in poli-
tics he was a Republican.

Aaron Flicker, son of Valentine and father
of William M., was born in Warrington
township, and received his education in" the
common schools and in a local academy. He
taught school for two terms, and then turned
his attention to farming, which occupation he
has followed all of his life, owning and oijerat-
ing an lOO-acre farm in Monaghan township.
The children born to him and his wife were :
Mabel, who married Harry Fahs, of Harris-
burg, now deceased, survived by two children^
Russell W. and Vance M. ; and William M.,
who is the only living child of his parents.
Aaron Flicker is a member of the LTnited
Brethren church, while his wife adheres to the
Presbyterian faith. In politics he is a Repub-
lican, and has held many local offices.

■ William M. Flicker was educated in the
common schools of York county. He is what
is commonly termed a "self-made man," hav-
ing made his own way in the world, and much
of his success may be attributed to the fact of
his being able to see opportunities and gras^
them. At the age of thirteen years he engager!
with the York Daily, with which paper he re-
mained for about five years. He went to Car-
lisle in 1896, and engaged on a daily sheet
there, but in 1897 came to Dillsburg, purcha.s-
ing an interest in the Dillsburg BuUctiu. In
1900 the remaining interest was purchased by
his mother, Mrs. S. F. Flicker. This paper
was founded in 1876 by G. W. Nichols, was
successfully operated by him for several years,
and has been a very popular paper up to the
present time. Since our subject has taken sole
charge of the paper it has lost none of its savor
— in fact in no part of its history has it thrived
as it has under Mr. Flicker's management. It
deals in current and local topics in a just and
able manner, and has an average circulation of
1,200 copies weekly. Besides the management
of the paper, Mr. Flicker has charge of the job
printing- department, from which nothing but
first class work is turned out, this work having
been more than doubled under Mr. Flicker's
management.

Mr. Flicker was married June 7, 1900, to



824



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Miss Nettie S. Stauffer, daugliter of D. Frank
and Cevilla Stauffer, of York. One daughter
has blessed this union. Margaret C. In reh-
gion ]\Ir. Flicker adheres to the Presbyterian
doctrines, wliile Mrs. Ehcker belongs to the
German Reformed Church. He is associated
with the Heptasophs and Woodmen, in which
orders he is extremely popular.

CHRISTIAN WILLIAM ALBERT RO-
CHOW. For many years the courts of York
county have been the arena for beginners many
of whom ha,ve become gifted attorneys at law.
It has only been a few years since the gentle-
man whose name appears above was heard in
debate for the first time before the courts of the
county, and there are many who remember his
first efifective efforts, and have followed with
interest his continued successful career.

Mr. Rochow is of German descent, his
father, William Rochow, a former resident of
Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Germany, having been
born in that country in 1829. Migrating to
America from Germany, he settled in Co-
lumbia, Lancaster Co.. Pa., where he becaftie
a well-known dealer in hides. Here, in his
adopted country, he passed the rest of his life,
Avinning the respect and esteem of neighbors
and friends, and his death, which occurred in
1901, at the advanced age of seventy-two,
brought sorrow to all who knew him. The
mother of Christian W. A. Rochow was also
of German birth, her maiden name being Miss
Ro^a Knob. Her father. Christian Knob, was
also a native of Germany.

Christian ^V. A. Rochow was born in Co-
lumbia, Lancaster Co., Pa., Feb. 3, 1876. His
earlier education was received in the public
schools of his native county, and later he at-
tended the Dickinson Law School, from which
he graduated, afterward,, in 1897, taking a
post-graduate course at the same institution,
having been admitted to practice in the same
year in the courts of Cumberland county. Two
years later found him an attorney in York
county, where he was admitted to practice
in the courts of the county in 1898, and soon
after to the Superior court.

Mr. Rochow was married, in 1902, to Miss
Maude A. Hackman, daughter of ]\Iorris
Hackman, the well-known wagonmaker of
Carlisle', Pa. Tb this union .one child has
come, a son, William Morris Harry Rochow,
whose birth occurred Jan. 9, 1903.



Socially Mr. Rochow is a member of the
Old York Club, among whose members he is
a favorite, and he attends St. Paul's Lutheran
Church, in which he holds membership. In
politics he is an unflinching- Democrat, stand-
ing firm for the principles of his party at all
times, and working for its best interests, and
in the spring of 1904 he was strongly urged
as a candidate for the office of district attorney
of York county.

Gifted with a genial disposition, and hav-
ing many qualities which conduce to popular-
ity, the future of Mr. Rochow is not hard to
prognosticate. In the line of his profession he
has shown marked ability.

BERNARD W. SHIREY, M. D., a suc-
cessful physician and surgeon located at York,
and a leading citizen of that place, is a mem-
ber of one of York county's old families, the
Shirey ancestors having made that county
their home for generations.

The grandfather of Doctor Shirey was a
farmer of Shrewsbury township, where he
passed all of his life. His son, Ephraim Shi-
rey, the Doctor's father, was but six years old
when his father died, and he was reared to
manhood by a family of the name of Sites,
who gave him the advantages of a good com-
mon school education. Later he attended New
Berlin College. For some time he clerked in a
store in Hopewell township, and while there
married Miss Louisa McGuigan, whose grand-
lather came from the North of Ireland ; her
parents were Ambrose and Anna (Miller)
McGuigan. After his marriage Mr. Shirey
removed to Cornwall, Lebanon Co., Pa., where
he clerked in the iron works for three years,
and then went to Felton, where he conducted
a general store for four years. He then
boug^ht a store at Hametown, which he car-
ried on for eight years, but because of failing
health he was obliged to sell, and since that
time he has been successfully engaged in the
commission business. Mr. Shirey also owns
a farm.

Mr. Shirey was reared in the faith of the
Evangelical Church, of which he is a valued
member. In politics he is a Democrat, and
he has held' the office of school director for a
number of years. To Mr. and Mrs. Shirey
the following children have been born : Ber-
nard W. ; Oscar, of Glen Rock, the bookkeeper
for the Glen Manufacturing Company; Anna,



BIOGRAPHICAL



Mrs. Emery Diehl, of Baltimore, j\Id. ; IMal^el ;
Helen; Ambrose; Edna; Floe, and Paul.

Bernard ^V. Shirey was born near Win-
terstown, York county, Jan. 23, 1872, and his
education was obtained in the common
schools, which he attended until fifteen years
of age. Later he went to the academy at
Shrewsbury, then spent a term each at Stew-
artstown and York Academy, and taught
school for two years. Dr. Shirey took up the
study of medicine with Dr. James Geary, of
Shrewsbury, after which he entered the Col-
lege of Physicians and Surgeons, graduating
with the class of 1895, and he began the prac-
tice of his profession at East Prospect, where
he remained several years. He then took a
post-graduate course at the College of Physi-
cians and Surgeons, and private instruction of
Dr. Simon and at Johns Hopkins University.
B'or two months he was physician at the Balti-
more Hospital, and for four months was sur-
geon there. Selecting York as his chosen field
of practice Dr. Shirey opened an office at No.
305 East King street in 1903, in 1905 remov-
ing to 136 East Market street. He is a general
practitioner, with surgery as a specialty, how-
ever, and has been very successful in his treat-
ment of many complicated cases. He gives
most careful attention to his patients, sparing
himself in no way when life or health are in
the balance, and thus he has won the confi-
dence and affection of the community and en-
joys as much practice as he is able to handle.
He is a close student, and associated with va-
rious medical associations of the county and
State, among which may be mentioned the
York County Medical Society and the Penn-
sylvania State Medical Society. He belongs
to the Knights of Malta, in which he is a val-
ued comrade, is a stanch Democrat in political
sentiment, and served in East Prospect as
school director for a three years" term. In
religion he is a consistent member of the Zion
Lutheran Church of York. Dr. Shirey's
skill was recognized by his appointment as
physician of the York County jail, in July,
1904. Ever since locating" in York he has
been the chosen examiner for a number of in-
surance companies, including the Fidelity Life
Insurance Company, of Philadelphia, the Se-
curity Mutual Life Insurance Company, of
Binghamton, and the Protected Home Circle,
of Sharon, Pennsylvania.

Dr. Shirev was married in Chester countv,



in 1896, to Miss Miner\-a Diehl, of Shrews-
bury township, the estimable daughter of
Isaac and Rosa (Klinefelter) Diehl. and to
this union has come one child, Jeannette, born
Maixh 4, 1905.

WILLIAM J. REICHLEY. One of the
leading commercial enterprises represented in
the city of York is that at whose head stands
\Villiam J. Reichley, and it is pleasing to note
that he is ably upholding the high prestige
gained by his honored father, who was one of
the city's prominent and influential business
men and public-spirited citizens, having built
up the important mercantile enterprise now
controlled by his only son, while the business,
that of wholesale and retail dealing in hard-
ware, is still conducted under his name.

This representative enterprise dates its in-
ception back to the year 1868. when \\'illiam
G. Reichley, father of our subject, inaugurated
operations in a store building located on the
lot now occupied by the "City Hotel," in West
Market street, the original establishment con-
trolling a retail business only, in the same
lines later handled on so etxensive a scale.

\\'illiam G. Reichley was born in the city
of York, in the year 1842, and was a represen-
tative of one of the old and influential fami-
lies of this section of the Keystone State, with
whose annals the name has been identified
from an early epoch in its history. ]Mr. Reich-
ley was reared and educated in York county
and became one of the leading merchants of
his native city, while he maintained the high-
est reputation as a reliable and progressive
business man and as a loyal and public-spir-
ited citizen. He continued to be actively iden-
tified with the business which he founded until



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 157 of 201)