Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 158 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 158 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


within a very short time prior to his death,
which occurred June 5, 1900. He was a man
of the highest integrity in all the relations of
life, was well and favorably known through-
out the county, while he ever manifested a
zealous and intimate interest in all that
touched the welfare of his home city, to whose
commercial and civic precedence he contrib-
uted in no small measure. He was a stanch
Democrat in his political procli\-ities. and his
religious faith was that of the Lutheran
Church. His wife, whose maiden nam- uas
Catherine Heindle, was born and reared in
York, being a daughter of Jacob Heindle, a
member of one of the prominent pioneer fam-



826



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



ilies of York county, and she still retains her
residence in York, where she has long been
prominent in social affairs and where she is
surrounded by a wide circle of friends. Mr.
and Mrs. Reichley became the parents of two
children, the subject of this sketch being the
younger, while his sister, Nettie M., is now
Mrs. ^VilIiam L. Aumon.

William J. Reichley was born in the city
of York, on the 15th of October, 1878, and
after completing the curriculum of the public
schools he entered his father's mercantile es-
tablishment and learned the business in all its
details, so that he became amply qualified to
assume the responsibilities which devolved
upon him when his father was summoned from
the scene of life's endeavors. He continued to
be actively identified with the carrying on of
the business until the death of his father, in
1900, since which time he has had entire
charge of the business, managing same
with distinctive discrimination and ability, so
that in a personal way he has proved himself
well fitted to take up the work so long and
ably carried forward by his honored father.
On April i, 1906, the entire stock of groceries
was closed out, and the hardware and edge
tool business has been continued in the ad-
joining room. His present business establish-
ment is located at No. 379 West Market
street, the building having been erected in
1894, and being a substantial brick and stone
structure of three stories, with lateral dimen-
sions twenty by seventy-two feet. In ad-
dition to the accommodations afforded in this
large building, two large and well equipped
warehouses have been utilized for the storing of
stock, the business being one of the most im-
portant of the sort in the county and its rami-
fications being so wide as to offer decisive,
proof that the city of York is a most eligible
distributing and wholesale center. In politics
Mr. Reichley gives his allegiance to the Dem-
ocratic party, and both he and his wife are
enrolled as members of Mount Zion Lutheran
Church, in their home city.

On Aug. 29, 1900, William J. Reichley
was united in marriage to Miss Fannie (Fran-
ces) Emigh, a daughter of George C. and
Hannah (Mosel) Emigh, of Roaring Springs,
Blair Co., Pa. Of this union two sons have
been born : William G., born May 5, 1901, Avho
died Feb. 17, 1902; and Robert Garrett, born
April 3, 1903.



OLIVER L. STUCK is one of the repre-
sentative contracting electricians of the city of
York, having a well equipped establishment on
South George street. He has gained a reputa-
tion for marked ability in his chosen field of
endeavor and as a careful and reliable business
man, so that his enterprise has shown a con-
stantly expanding tendency from the time of
its inception.

Oliver Stuck, his grandfather, was one of
York county's prominent and influential citi-
zens and wielded much power for good in con-
nection with public affairs, having been the
editor and publisher of the York Press, at the
county seat, with which he continued to be
identified until the time of his death. Oliver L.
Stuck was born in the city of York, Nov. 22,
1876, and is a son of William L. and Olivia M.
(Rudy) Stuck, the former of whom was a
printer by vocation, having been for a number
of years engaged in the printing business at
York, Pa. His wife was a daughter of Daniel
Rudy, who was a well known carpenter of
York. They became the parents of two chil-
dren, of whom Oliver L. is the elder. His
brother, Frederick Rudy Stuck, is hkewise an
electrician by vocation, and resides in York.

Oliver L. Stuck, whose name introduces
this sketch, secured his early educational train-
ing in the public schools of York and supple-
mented the same by a commercial course in
Patrick's Business College, in his home city.
His practical experience in electrical work was
secured in establishments in York and Harris-
burg, and he is a thorough workman in his line
and well informed in regard to the scientific
principles involved and applied, so that he is
admirably equipped for the management of his
present business in all its details. On the 26th
of August, 1903, he engaged in business on his
own responsibility, establishing his headquar-
ters in the Hartley building, on East Market
street. Pronounced success has attended his
venture and he has filled important contracts.
Among the more notable buildings in York
for which he has done the electrical work may
be mentioned St. Mary's Catholic Church,
Jacoby & Brother's furniture factory, and the
"fine residences of S. Morgan Smith, George
Small and Elmer Smith, but his work has not
been confined to York county, since he has se-
cured and executed desirable contracts in Car-
lisle, Middletown, Harrisburg and other towns
and cities, invariably gaining high commenda-



BIOGRAPHICAL



827



tion for reliable and high class work, while he
is looked upon as one ot the rising young busi-
ness men of his native city.

On Jan. 6, 1902, Mr. Stuck was united in
marriage to Miss Mary R. Westick, of York.

REV. ISRAEL S. LEIBY, pastor of the
Glen Rock Reformed Church, was born July
10, 1869, in Schuylkill county, son of Daniel
and Mary (Steigerwelt) Leiby, who were na-
tives of the above county and of German an-
cestry.

Daniel Leiby, the grandfather, was a Penn-
sylvania farmer, and married a Miss Lichty,
by whom he had the following children : Dan-
iel ; Jacob ; Nathan ; Reuben ; Annie, who mar-
ried Daniel Gerber; Sarah, who married a Mr.
Riegel ; Daniel ; and one daughter who married
a Mr. Daubenspeck. The family were mem-
bers of the Reformed Church. The maternal
grandfather was Daniel Steigerwelt, a farmer,
who married a Miss Hufifman, and had these
children: Daniel; Peter; Hannah, married to
a Mr. Whetstone; Matilda, married to a Mr.
Troxel; Mrs. Hess; Flora; Catherine, and
Mary.

Daniel Leiby, the father of Israel, followed
farming during his life, and passed away in
1 90 1. His children were: Emma, who
married Adolph Berner; Sarah, who married
C. John Schaller; Dennis; Daniel; Jonathan;
Amanda; Maiy, married to Thomas Schock;
Israel S. ; Alwena ; Elias ; and Susan, who died
young. The mother of our subject died in
1877. She was a member of the Lutheran
Church, while her husband was connected with
the Reformed Church.

Israel S. Leiby attended the schools of his
native county and worked on his father's farm
until he was eighteen years old, when he en-
tered the Keystone Normal School where he
remained for one term. He then learned the
trade of house painting and paper hanging, at
which he was apprenticed three years, and then
he began study for the ministry. Mr. Leiby
went to Catawba College, at Newton, N. C,
from which he graduated in 1897. In the
meantime he had spent one year at Calvin Col-
lege, Cleveland, (Dhio, his ministerial studies
having covered five years. He passed three
years in the seminary of the Reformed Church
at Lancaster, Pa., when he received the call
to Glen Rock Reformed Church, and was or-
dained at the time he took charge in 1900. In



his congregation Mr. Leiby has about 400
members.

in 1900 Mr. Leiby married Miss Anna E.
Rieman, and one chdd вАФ Grace E., has been
born to this union. Full of charity and thought
for others, Mr. Leiby has hosts of friends,
while his sound judgment and sterling char-
acter have won him a place in the front rank
of men of refinement and education.

. GEORGE W. STEWART, a native son
of York county and representing, in both the
agnatic and maternal lines, sterling pioneer
families of the county, Mr. Stewart is well-
entitled to consideration in this compilation,
while personally he is one of the popular and
capable young business men of York, being the
efficient superintendent of freight for the York
County Traction Company. His father, John
Stewart, now lives retired in West Manchester
township, where he was long and prominently
identified with agricultural pursuits; and the
mother's family have long been identified with
the civic and industrial life of North Codorus
township. Of the nine children born to John
and Isabelle Stewart three are deceased : Wil-
liam Henry, who died at the age of twenty-
two years; John, 'at the age of nineteen; and
Katie, aged fifteen. The survivors are :
Amanda, wife of Elmer Clinedinst, of West
Manchester township ; Sarah, wife of Charles
Stover, of Spring Grove, this county ; Eliza-
beth, wife of Albert Harold, of North Codorus
township; Emma, wife of John Strasbaugh, of
Jefferson township ; Clementine, wife of Ed-
ward Huett, of Seven Valley, this county: and
George W.

George W. Stewart was born in North
Codorus township, Dec. 14, 1867, and in the
public schools of the locality he secured his early
educational discipline, while he continued to
be associated with the work and management
of his father's farm until he had attained the
age of twenty-six years. He then entered the
service of the \\'estern ^Maryland Railroad Co.,
with which he remained about two years, after
which he erected a building in the city of York
and there opened a grocery. One year later he
sold out, and thereafter he was stockkeeper in
the York Card & Paper Co., until May, 1903,
when he accepted his present position as super-
intendent of freight for the York County Trac-
tion Company, in which office he has proved
himself admirably placed, having done much to



828



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



facilitate the work of his department of the ser-
vice, and standing" high in the esteem of the
company and the general public. In politics
he accords a stanch support to the Republican
party.

On May 15, 1894, ]\Ir. Stewart was united
in marriage to Miss Katie J. Kumerant, daugh-
ter of Lewis Kumerant, of Gettysburg, this
state, where she was reared and educated.

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN POSEY, M.
D., physician and surgeon of Chanceford, was
born Feb. 22, 1872, at York Furnace, Lower
Chanceford township, York county, son of
David C. and Mary (Groff) Posey.

David C. Posey was also a native of York
Fiirnace, and died when his son Benjamin was
but nine years of age. He was connected for
sevaiteen years with the mercantile concern of
John Baer & Co. He supported the principles
of the Republican party and in religious faith
was a member of the M. E. Church. He mar-
ried Mary Groff, who was born in Lancaster
county, but reared in York county, and the
children born to this union were : Emma, mar-
ried H. M. Stauffer of Safe Harbor, Lancas-
ter county; Robert A., died at the age of
twenty years; Harry W., educated in the pub-
lic schoolSj Millersville Normal School, gradu-
ated from the Maryland Medical 'College of
Baltimore, Md., married Maggie Riale, and is
now a practicing physician at Slab, York
county ; Fannie D. married A. C. Murphy, and
died in Chanceford township; Benjamin F. ;
and Sue married R. T- Remlev, of Lancaster
City.

Benjamin F. Posey remained on the old
homestead until he was twenty years of age.
At the age of five years he commenced to at-
tend the public schools of his township, being
first taught by Mrs. Agnes Campbell, and con-
tinued his general education until the age of
twenty, when he was taught by an uncle, Wil-
liam Posey. He began clerking at the age of
fifteen years in the store of his uncle, John
Baer, with whom he remained until twenty
years of age, when he removed to McCall's
Ferry and followed that occupation in the sum-
mer for Samuel D. Fry, entering the Univer-
sity of Maryland in the year 1893. After pur-
suing one course in that institution, in the fall
of 1804 he entered the Baltimore Medical Col-
lege, from which he was graduated in April,
1897. While at the latter school he took a



course in philosophy and attended the Loyola
College at Baltnnore, where, in 1896, the de-
gree of M. S. was conferred upon him, being
honored in the same year with the degree of
A. B. Dr. Posey also took a course in clinical
instruction in diseases of women, under Prof.
T. A. Ashby of the University of Maryland,
and a similar course under Dr._ Howard A.
Kelley of Johns Hopkins University, of Balti-
more. Dr. Posey passed the Pennsylvania
State examination at Philadelphia, in June,
1897. He had previously located at No. 841
North Howard street, Baltimore, where he be-
gan the general practice of medicine while
pursuing his studies in his specialty, the dis-
eases of women.

In May, 1897, Dr. Posey removed from
Baltimore to his present location, which was
formerly the homestead of Dr. B. F. Porter^
first renting the property, and in 1900 pui'-
chasing it from the heirs of Dr. Porter's es-
tate. Dr. Posey's farm consists of 100 acres
of fine land. The Doctor enjoys a large prac-
tice, which has grown encouragingly, as his
ability has become widely recognized, while his
pleasing personal characteristics have won him
numerous friends. He has gained the confi-
dence and good will of all citizens and is a close
student, a careful practitioner, a clear-headed,
and steady-handed surgeon, and in frequent
demand as a consulting physician. He is a
membea' of the Pennsylvania State Medical
Society.

On Sept. 18, 1901, in Pine Grove Church,
McCall's Ferry, Lower Chanceford township,
Dr. Posey was married by Rev. J. L. Hynson
to Miss Lydia A. Fry, born at McCall's Ferry,
the estimable daughter of Samuel D. and
Emma E. (Bennington) Fry, the former of
whom is a merchant there, and one child,
Charles Fry, has been born to the Doctor and
his wife. Mr. and Mrs. Posey are members
of the Chanceford Presbyterian Church. The
Doctor is a stanch Republican, and cast his first
vote for President McKinley in 1896.

REV. JESSE C. KOLLER, D. D., was
born Oct. 24, 1839, "'i Springfield township,
on the farm which was the birthplace of his
father, Henry Koller, who was born in 181 1.
He married Miss Annie M. Cramer, who was-
born in Codorus township, York county, in
May, 181 7, daughter of Henrv Cramer, pu old
resident and highly respected citizen of that



BIOGRAPHICAL



829



township. To Henry and Annie AI. (^Cramer)
Koller were born seven children, namely :
Jesse C; Henry, who I'esides in Ohio; Catn-
erme, wife of JJavid Cunningham, of York
county; Eli, a resident of Glen Rock; Ellen,
wile 01 Alexander Gotwalt, of York, Pa.; Re-
becca, wife of H. S. Steck,- of Y'ork County;
and William, deceased. The father died m
1852.

Jesse C. KoUer spent the first fourteen years
of his life on the old homestead, after which he
devoted himself to the acquisition of a higher
education. For a time he attended the Shrews-
bury Academy, then taught by Dr. Dinsmore,
and later became a student at Cumberland Val-
ley Institute. Here he completed the prepara-
tory course essential for his admission to col-
lege. Matriculating at Pennsylvania College
at Gettysburg, he graduated from that insti-
tution in 1865. Having decided upon the min-
istry as his life work, the young man then en-
tered the Theological Seminary at Gettysburg,
from which he graduated 'in 1867. It is note-
worthy that in his long career in the ministry.
Rev. KoUer labored in but tw'O pastorates. In
the fall of 1867, shortly after his graduation,
he accepted a call from the congregation at
Gle Rock, where he remained for nine and a
half years. Then in the spring of 1877 he was
called to the pastorate of St. Matthew's Lu-
theran Church at Hano\'er, where his labors
were long uninterrupted. In 1882 the degree
of D. D. was conferred upon him by his Alma
Mater. For years he held a trusteeship in the
Theological Seminary at Gettysburg. He has
held some important appointments on the
Boards of the Lutheran Synod, as well as
among the various other Synods. At present
he is a member of the Lutheran Pul)lication
Board.

In 1870 Dr. Kollei- married Alice G.
Heathcote, daughter of William and Catherine
(Allison) Heathcote of Glen Rock. To Rev.
and Mrs. Koller have been born four children,
namely : Rev. Paul \Y., pastor of the Lu-
theran Church at Hudson, N. Y\, who, in 1902,
married Miss Mary Bollinger, daughter of
Jesse Bollinger, a prominent citizen of Han-
over ; J. Morris, at home ; Leonard, a graduate
of Gettysburg- College and now superintendent
of the Arts and Crafts Department of the I. C.
S., of Scranton, Pa. : and Elsie E.. at home, an
accomplished musician of more than local re-
nown.



JOHN \V. SHEXBERGER, of Xew
Bridgeville, Y'ork county. Pa., was "born May
12, iHGii, on the home rami, son of the late
John Iv. Shenberger, ex-treasurer of Y'ork
county. He grew to manhood in Chanceford
township, attending school at Conrad s Cross
Roads, finishing his education at the age of
twenty years under J. R. W. Wallace. His
early days were spent on his father's farm,
where he worked hard during vacations and
any time that could be spared from his studies.

On Oct. 13, 1893, ^fr. Shenberger married
Miss Ida Moore, of Chanceford township,
daughter of William and Mary (Shaw) Moore.
After marriage Mr. and Mrs. Shenberger set-
tled on the home farm for five years, by which
time he had accumulated sufficient to buy from
the Tome estate his present home, comprising
a farm of 165 acres of fine farm land. In 1902
he actively engaged in selling fine horses and
mules (in which line he had been irregularly
employed since his marriage), and in the
spring of 1904 built a fine sales stable. He does
a large and profitable business and is acquiring
a handsome competence.

Mr. Shenberger was reared in the faith of
the Evangelical Church. In politics he is a
stanch Democrat and takes great interest in the
success of his party. He is a director in the
Red Lion First .National Bank, having held
that office for two years. Fraternally he is
associated with the Jr. O. U. A. M., of East
Prospect; the P. O. S. of A. of Cralevsville,
and I. O. R. M. of Red Lion. To Mr. and Mrs.
Shenberger have been born: Maggie Verna
and Oliver Moore. Owing to his business
acumen and untiring efforts, together with his
adaptability and quick recognition and accept-
ance of opportunities, Mr. Shenberger is recog-
nized as rapidly approaching the front rank
among the financiers of Y^ork Count}^

Lattimer S. Shenberger, brother of
John W. Shenberger, was born May 25, 1878,
on the old homestead in Chanceford township,
which he bought in 1902 and upon which he is
now engaged in farming. He was educated in
the home schools, his first teacher being Lillie
Pope, and at the time of leaving school, at the
age of seventeen years, was being taught bv
H. Shelley. After completing this epoch in his
education he spent about five months at the
Wade Business College. Lancaster Citv. He
was reared a farmer, but learned the painter's
trade, which he followed for about eight vears.



8.SO



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



In August, 1903, All". Shenberger married
Miss Cora Keeports, daughter of Jacob Kee-
ports, of Clranceford township, and one child,
Mary Ehzabeth, has been born to this union.
Mr. Shenberger is a Democrat in poHtics, while
in religious vtews he was reared in the faith of
the Evangelical church. As a good farmer, a
business man and as a citizen he is held in high
esteem in the entire community.

FREDERICK H. SHENBERGER, post-
master at New Bridgeville, York county, Pa.,
succeeding his father in this office, was born
July 21, 1 87 1, son of John K. and Elizabeth
(Loucks) Shenberger, who were among the
honored and esteemed residents of that section
of York county. The family of Shenberger
is an old established one, the grandfather of
Frederick H. having lived and died at the
point known as Conrad's Cross Roads.

John K. Shenberger, father of Frederick
H., was born March 19, 1833, in the old stone
house standing at Conrad's Cross Roads and
his educational opportunities, which were
somewhat better than ordinary, fitted him for
school teaching. This profession he followed
for some years in Chanceford township, also
mastering the carpenter's trade, in which he
engaged for some years. During the latter
period of his life he married, .then bought the
farm which is now owned by Levi C. Frey, and
still later the farm owned by his son Lattimer.
Mr. Shenberger engaged in farming and gen-
eral merchandising, establishing a store on his
place which was a great convenience to the
neighborhood. He was made postmaster at
New Bridgeville, succeeding Michael Bowers,
and held the office for many years. Mr.
Shenberger occupied a prominent place in
township affairs and neighborhood matters,
and in the c^uiet pursuits of farming and mer-
chandising, amassed an ample fortune. In
October, 1902, his death occurred at his home,
and he was buried at the Evangelical Chapel
cemetery. Although not a member of any
church he was a moral man and a very liberal
contributor to religious bodies, especially to
the Evangelical denomination. All his life a
strong supporter of the Democratic party, he
was honored on numerous occasions by elec-
tion to office. For a great many years his in-
fluence was exerted as one of the township
school directors, and some twelve years prior
to his decease, he was ejected treasurer of
York county, an office of great responsibility.



and for three years he faithfully performed
the duties incumbent upon him. Esteemed
and honored he passed away, one of the
worthy men of his day and generation. His
wife, Elizabeth Loucks, was a daughter of the
late Samuel Loucks, a prominent man in
Lower Windsor township. Mrs. Shenberger
still survives. The children of John Shenber-
ger and wife were : Ida, Mrs. James W.
Thompson, of Chanceford township ; Charles,
who died young; John W., extended mention
of whom immediately precedes; Frederick H. ;
Minerva and Alice, who died young; William
J. ; and Lattimer S.

Frederick H. Shenberger was born on the
farm now owned by Levi C. Frey, and his ed-
ucation was secured in the local schools which
he attended until the age of twenty years,
some of his teachers being John Lyon, Mr.
Buckingham, Mr. Wallace, Miss Ida Douglas
and John Robinson. His vacations were usu-
ally spent in farm work and in learning the
carpenter's trade. At this latter vocation he
worked for five years and at odd times clerked
in his father's store. During the first year
of his father's duties as county treasurer he
assumed the entire management of the busi-
ness and in 1895 full charge of the home place
which he managed for eight years.

In the fall of 1902 he began the erection
of the present commodious store, which was
completed Nov. 17, 1903. It is an attractive
and substantial frame structure, two and one-
half stories high, 70x24 feet. Here he carries
a complete line of general merchandise, hav-
ing one of the best equipped stores in rural
York county. As mentioned he is also post-
master. In addition to all kinds of merchan-
dise, selected to satisfy the needs of his coun-
try patrons, Mr. Shenberger was urged to add
farm implements and fertilizers to his stock,
and some five years ago he opened this de-
partment.

In 1900 Mr. Shenberger was married in
Chanceford township, to Maud M. Saylor, a
daughter of John R. and Sally Saylor, promi-
nent residents of this township. They have
one son, Walter S.

Mr. Shenberger is a Democrat and is now-
serving his second term as township auditor.
He is a member of the Reformed Church.

WILLIAM JACOB SHENBERGER.
M. D., of Chanceford township, York county,
Pa., was born Feb. 14, 1876, at the



BIOGRAPHICAL



8.31



homestead in the township named, son of the
late J. K. Shenberger. He attended the pub-
he schools of the district, and later took a
course at the Lock Haven Normal School,
from which he was graduated with the class
of 1898. He then taught at the Gipe school
in Chanceford township for one year, and two
terms at the Bethel school. In 1900 he en-
tered Jefferson Medical College, from which
he was graduated in 1904. Dr. Shenberger
immediately commenced practice, and has



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 158 of 201)