Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 159 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 159 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


been quite successful in his professional work,
now residing at Conrad's Cross Roads, where
he has built a comfortable home.

On Sept. 21, 1904, Dr. Shenberger mar-
ried Miss Anna Julia Hessert, the estimable
daughter of John and Mary (Mannj Hessert,
the former of whom, now deceased, was a
merchant in Philadalphia. Mrs. Shenberger
is a graduate of Darlington Seminary, W'est
Chester, class of 1901. Dr. Shenberger is an
attendant of the Evangelical Church. In poli-
tics he is a Democrat, but has never aspired to
hold public office, preferring to devote his at-
tention to his chosen profession. He is a man
who enjoys the esteem of all with whom he has
business or personal relations.

STUART EMERSON GIPE is entitled
to much commendation and unreserved pop-
ular endorsement by reason of the enterprise
which he has manifested in connection with
offering in his native city of York privileges
for the developing of elegant and artistic ac-
complishments under most favorable circum-
stances. The Gipe Academy of Music and
Languages, at No. 301 South George street,
of which he is personally the founder, is one
of the popular and valued institutions of the
city. The family history is recorded in the
sketch of the life of his brother, Morgan E.
Gipe, appearing elsewhere.

Stuart Emerson Gipe was born in the city
of York, and in the public schools he secured
his preliminary educational discipline, while
he early manifested a noteworthy predilection
and taste for music. After leaving the public
schools he was enabled to carry forward his
study of the piano for three years at the Pea-
body Conservatory of Alusic. Baltimore, Md.,
under the direction of Richard Burmeister, a
musician of international reputation, who was
a favorite pupil of the immortal Liszt, and
now director of the Royal Conservatory of



Music in Dresden, Germany. He studied
Theory and Composition with Asger Hamerik,
then director of the Peabody Conservatory of
Music, and now of Copenhagen, Denmark.
At the expiration of the period noted ^Ir.
Gipe went to Berlin, Germany, where he also
studied Theory and Composition under the tu-
torage of Ludwig Bussler and piano with
Professor Alfred Sormann, eminent musi-
cians, the latter being court pianist to the Duke
of Saxe-Coburg. Later he studied coaching
and oratorio work with Wilhelm Heinefetter,
formerly cappelmeister in the Royal Opera, in
Munich. During his years in Germany Mr.
Gipe also made a special study of the German
language, under the able direction of Frau
von Sanden, remaining in the city of Ber-
lin for three years. Prior to his European so-
journ, it may be said, Mr. Gipe studied voice
culture in New York City, with Herbert
Tubbs, director of the New York \'ocal Insti-
tute, and also with Tali Esen Morgan, direc-
tor of the Ocean Grove festival chorus.
Mr. Gipe is in possession of personal recom-
mendations from Richard Burmeister and
others of his distinguished teachers. Burmeis-
ter says of him: "Mr. Gipe studied with me
for three years, and was also for a time my
assistant in teaching, in which branch he had
considerable success. I recommend him as a
conscientious and careful musician and
teacher, and am convinced that those who se-
cure his services will be greatly satisfied with
his work." In his letter of commendation Al-
fred Sormann lays particular emphasis on ]Mr.
Gipe's interpretation of the classical scores.

Mr. Gipe returned to York in 1895, and
soon afterward opened an academy of music
and languages at No. 19 South George street,
where he remained until April i, 1900, when
he removed the institution to its present com-
modious and attractive quarters, at No. 301
South George street, where he gives his undi-
vided attention to the teaching of pianoforte,
voice and theory, as well as the languages,
with special reference to the German. His
studio is a most artistic and attractive one,
offering its quota of enthusiasm to the ambi-
tious student, since its walls* are covered with
portraits of distinguished musicians and com-
posers, and the entire appearance of the studio
breathes of refinement and artistic taste, the
floors being covered with costly rugs, while
tropical foliage and other decorative elements



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



lend to the beauty of the place. The studio,
however, is one in which its director insists
upon earnest and conscientious work both on
his own part and on that of his pupils, and he
is thus adding greatly to his prestige and suc-
cess from year to year, and secures a represen-
tative support. His academy is a valuable ac-
quisition in connection with the artistic and
social life of the community. Mr. Gipe is di-
rector of music in the Union Lutheran church
of York, where he conducts a chorus choir of
twenty-five voices, said choir being justly con-
sidered one of the best in the State. On Jan.
I, 1905, Mr. Gipe organized and became con-
ductor of the Mendelssohn Choral Society of
York, with 250 voices, including the best tal-
ent of the city, the most conspicuous organiza-
tion for concerted vocal music ever known in
the history of York ; and, it is only fair to say
that the citizens of York are to be congratu-
lated on having laid at their very doors the
opportunity to study musical language, in a
way that could only otherwise be done by
going abroad, involving the expenditure of
thousands of dollars.

Mr. Gipe is a member of the Bachelor Club
of York, but his devotion to his art is such
that in his work center his ambition and en-
thusiasm, so that he has little time to accord to
extraneous affairs. He enjoys marked popu-
larity in his native city and is accomplishing
here a work of notable value and significance,
for the solid foundations are not alone de-
manded in the scheme of life, but also the em-
bellished superstructures, represented in the
refined arts.

JOHN E. INNERS, M. D., established in
practice in Yorkana, was born in York town-
ship, this county, April 18, 1875, and his boy-
hood days were spent on the farm, where he
waxed strong in mind and body under the
grateful and invigorating discipline of agri-
cultural labors.

■ Daniel Inners, his father, was born in the
same township, July 31, 1848, and was there
reared and educated, his scholastic opportu-
nities being such as were offered in the com-
mon schools of the period and locality. At
the age of fifteen he entered upon an appren-
ticeship at the blacksmith's trade, becoming
a skilled artisan and continuing to follow same
for the long period of thirty years. About
1900 he withdrew from the sturdy trade which



had so long engrossed his attention and he has
since been engaged in farming in York town-
ship, being one of the highly esteemed and
substantial citizens of his native county. In
politics he is a stanch Democrat, and both he
and his wife are members of the United Evan-
gelical Church. Daniel Inners married Cath-
erine Sipe, who was born in Springetsbury
township, York county, daughter of John and
Rebecca (Lehman) Sipe, both of whom are
deceased ; the father was a farmer in the town-
ship mentioned. Daniel and Catherine Inners
have had ten children, all of whom are living
except two : Emma died at the age of three
years ; John E. was the next in order of birth ;
Minnie is the wife of Dr. Emanuel H. Bupp,
of York; Sally is the wife of Edward Gruver,
of that city; Margaret died in childhood; and
Sadie M., Ada, Charles, Claude and Verna
still remain at home.

Daniel Inners, Sr., grandfather of the
Doctor, died in York township, at the age of
eighty-five years. He followed the black-
smith's trade during the major portion of his
active business career. He and his wife had
eight children. Noah is a representative
farmer of York township, and a veteran of the
Civil war; he married Agnes Livingston.
Amos, now a blacksmith in Springetsbury
township, served during the entire period of
the Rebellion, as a member of the 87th P. V.
I., and during his military career participated
in a number of the most important battles of
the great conflict, including the Wilderness
and Appomattox, was imprisoned for a time
in Andersonville, and w'as wounded several
times ; he married Lucy Sipe, a sister of his
brother Daniel's wife. Solomon, a farmer of
York township, was likewise a loyal soldier in
the Union army during the war of the Rebel-
lion ; he married Catherine Rapp, who is now
deceased. Daniel, father of the Doctor, was
the next in order of birth. Sarah is the widow
of Alexander Sipe and resides in York. Mary,
unmarried, resides in York township. Samuel
removed to Illinois in the eighties and later
migrated further West, nothing having been
heard from him by the other members of the
family for the past several years. Amanda is
the wife of Henry Honsemeyer, of York
county. The great-grandfather of the Doc-
tor came to this country at a very early day,
passing the remainder of his life in York
township, where he died at a patriarchal age.



BIOGRAPHICAL



833



John E. Inners secured his preliminary ed-
ucation in the district schools and later con-
tinued his studies in the Dallastown high
school and the York County Academy. His
father had a small farm, and when Dr. Inners
was seventeen years of age he assumed prac-
tical charge of it, receiving half of the pro-
ceeds derived from its cultivation. He thus
continued for several years, in the meanwhile
carefully husbanding his resources, as he had
determined to prepare himself for the medical
profession and depended upon his efforts to
defray the expenses of his technical training.
After leaving the York County Academy he
again became a student in the public schools,
in the meanwhile devoting as much time a^s
possible to the study of the various branches'
of medical science. In 1898 he was matricu-
lated in the College of Physicians and Sur-
geons in the city of Baltimore, Md., where he
completed the prescribed course, being grad-
uated, with the degree of M. D., April 29,
1902. The Doctor at once opened an office
in Yorkana, and his success has been pro-
nounced, as he has established a large and rep-
resentative practice, while he is held in high
regard in the commvmity, both professionally
and socially. He is a member of the York
County Medical Society. In his political pro-
clivities he is a stanch Democrat, and he was
reared in the faith of the United Evangelical
Church.

In Yorkana, Feb. 20, 1903, was solem-
nized the marriage of Dr. Inners to Miss Mag-
gie M. Dietz, a daughter of Alexander Dietz,
and of this union has been born one son. La-
mare D.

JOHN R. HEINDEL, a successful
teacher of Codorus township, York county,
was born Jan. 30, 1870, in Manheim town-
ship, near Green Ridge, this county, son of
Aaron H. and Mary (Rohrbaugh) Heindel.

John Heindel, grandfather of John R., was
a well-known farmer and good citizen of Man-
heim township where he passed a long life,
dying at the age of eighty-one years. He
married Rebecca Heise, who lived to the age
of eighty years, and both were buried in the
graveyard at Stone Church in Codorus town-
ship, where they were members. Their chil-
dren were : William, a newspaper man, who
has been employed with the Baltimore Sun
for forty-two years; Jacob, who lives in Buf-



falo, X. Y. ; Elizabeth, of Jefferson; Susan,
wife of Alexander Cramer, of Alesia, Md. ;
and Aaron H.

Aaron H. Heindel was born in Shrewsbury
township, York county. Pa., where he received
a district school education and then engaged
in farming, which occupation he followed
until 1896. He has retired from business ac-
tivity, and resides with a son at New Sin-
sheim, Codorus township. He married Mary
Rohrbaugh, daughter of John Z. and Eva
(Hoover) Rohrbaugh. She died July 14,
1905, and is buried at the Stone Church in Co-
dorus township. The issue of this marriage
was as follows: Eliza, the wife of Valentine
Miller, living at Spring Grove ; John R. ; Eva,
wife of Harry Bricker, of Codorus township;
Charles, who married Celestie Krebs, and lives
at Seven ■ Valley ; and Conelius, who married
Amanda Shue.

John R. Heindel enjoyed excellent educa-
tional advantages, attending the township
schools, and also one session at the State Nor-
mal School at Millers\'ille. Later he took an
academiic course at Glenville Academy. In
1887 he began to teach, spending his first year
in Manheim township, and the following year
at New Sinsheim. In the spring of 1905 he
came to his present field of work, this being
known as the Sheaffer School.

Prior to becoming a teacher j\Ir. Heindel
was connected for a number of years with mer-
cantile interests, clerking first for S. B. Brod-
beck and later for his successor, Lewis Bar-
behenn, with whom he continued for fourteen
years. There are few men better known or
more highly esteemed through this locality
than Mr. Heindel.

Mr. Heindel married (first) Henrietta
Fishel, daughter of John L. and Alaria ( Ta}-
lor) Fishel. She died in 1891, after having
been married a little less than one year, leav-
ing one child, Annie. He married (second)
Maggie Rohrbaugh, daughter of Amos N. and
Sarah (Markel) Rohrbaugh, of Manheim
township. They have three children: Lettie,,
Paul and Claire.

In political sentiment Mr. Heindel is a:
stanch Democrat, and he has frequentlv been!
elected to responsible offices. At present he is
township clerk, has been township auditor and
has many times served as a delegate to im-
portant conventions. Although he is a mem-
ber of the Stone Church congregation, he at-



«34



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



tends the Shaeffer Lutheran Church while his
duties are in this locahty, and wherever he
may be he is one of the leaders in Church and
Sunday-school work, and also in all educa-
tional matters.

JOHN H. BENNETT, M. D., is one of
the latest additions to the medical fraternity
of York, though he has practiced for some
years in York county, and has passed his entire
life within its confines. Dr. Bennett was born
in the rural village of Seven Valley, Feb. 22,

1873-

John Bennett, a mining engineer from
Cornwall, England, and the father of John H.,
settled in Berks county, Pa., in 1878, and con-
tinued to reside there until his death in 1897,
aged fifty-four years. Dr. Bennett's mother
was Sarah Buehler, a daughter of Michael, a
merchant of Seven Valley, and her death
there, at the age of twenty, was coincident
with the Doctor's birth.

Dr. John H. Bennett was reared in Seven
Valley and laid the foundation of his literary
•education in the common schools of that vil-
lage. This was supplemented at Kutztown
Normal College, Pennsylvania College at Get-
tysburg, and by private instruction under the
tutelage of Sylvanus Cobb Kline, A. M. A
formal course at Maryland University fol-
lowed, from which institution he graduated in
1892. Our subject then took up work at Bay
View Hospital, in Baltimore, for a period,
after which he matriculated at Jefferson Med-
ical College. He took his degree of M. D.
there, in 1893, and immediately began prac-
tice at Jefferson, in York county. His coming
to York in March of 1903 was preceded by a
period of study at Johns Hopkins Hospital,
where he took a course in clinical diagnosis.
Thoroughly equipped for the practice of his
- profession and a deep student, whose greatest

■ delight is in the mastery of its varied prob-

■ lems, Dr. Bennett is rapidly securing the con-
fidence of the people of York and building a
practice which bids fair to equal his physical

. ability to meet its demands.

The home of our subject is made happy
by the presence within it of a wife and son,
the son bearing the name of John, and being
the fifth generation to receive such christening.
Mrs. Bennett was Miss Alice C. Crist, daugh-
ter of Michael, now deceased, but for many
years in the life and fire insurance business in



York, the date of her marriage to the Doctor
being Feb. 23, 1893.

Doctor Bennett is alive to the interests of
the community in which he has come to reside,
and is active in its business and social life. He
holds membership in the Masonic fraternity,
is a Knight Templar and Shriner, and on elec-
tion days supports Republican men and meas-
ures. In 1905 Dr. Bennett was elected a mem-
ber of the common council, and was chosen
the first chairman of the Sanitary committee.
He is also a member of Y'ork County Medical
Society, of which he is corresponding secre-
tary, and is a member of the Pennsylvania
State Medical Society, as well as of the Amer-
ican Medical Association. His church mem-
bership still remains at the old Ziegler Luth-
eran church, near Seven Valley, a church for
which he has particular regard on account of
the fact that his great-grandfather, John Bueh-
ler, was one of the men whO' caused its
erection.

VICTOR K. JORDAN. Men of energy
and force of character do not usually settle
down in early life to a business of narrow lim-
its. There is that in human nature which de-
mands an insight into industrial life from sev-
eral view points, and the experience thus ac-
• quired widens and enriches the business acu-
men of the recipient in after life. Victor K.
Jordan, president of the Hanover Steam Bot-
tling AVorks, comes to that executive position
with a fruitful and valuable experience, which,
in the few years since he has acquired the busi-
ness interests named, have conduced to the
progress and prosperity of the company.

He was born near Allentown, Lehigh Co.,
Pa., son of Milton and Deborah (Kline) Jor-
dan. The parents were both natives of Lehigh
county, and by trade the father was a car-
riage manufacturer. Victor K. received his
education in the common schools of Coopers-
burg, and in the same town acquired the mas-
tery of telegraphy, after which he obtained a
position with the Philadelphia & Reading
Railroad Company, which he held for five
years. He then went to Philadelphia and en-
tered the employ of Strawbridge & Clothier,
dry goods merchants, with whom he remained
fourteen months. Returning to Coopersburg
he learned the trade of painting and carriage
trimming and thus equipped he went to Lans-
dale. Pa., and for a year was with L. M. Lan-



BIOGRAPHICAL



835



dis. Mr. Jordan then accepted a position with
the Baltimore & Ohio road, after which he was
for a short tinie interested in the feather ren-
ovation business a.t Quakertown, Pa. Return-
ing to telegraphy, Mr. Jordan was again for
two years in the service oi the Philadelpliia &
Reading road, fohowed by running the "Slate
Valley Hotel," Bangor, Pa. It was in 1899
that Mr. Jordan came to Hanover and pur-
chased the bottling works from John Schmidt.
This business he has since successfully con-
ducted, and is in the enjoyment of an excel-
lent trade. In 1891 Mr. Jordan married Len-
nie C. Weaver, of Center Valley, Pa., the
daughter of V. B. Weaver, a noted veterinary
surgeon. To Mr. and Mrs. Jordan have been
born two children, Herbert Victor and Wilson
Clifford. Mrs. Jordan is a member of the Re-
formed Church.

JOHN J. BOLLINGER, one of the
younger members of the York county Bar,
is a scion of one of the oldest and most hon-
ored families of the county, with whose annals
the name has been identified for more than a
century and three-quarters. The original
American progenitor of the Bollinger family
was born and bred in Switzerland, whence he
emigrated to America and settled in Lancaster
county, Pennsylvania, prior to the year 17 16.
This information is authenticated lay a birth
certificate of that date from Lancaster county,
the interesting and valuable old document
being in the possession of the family at the
present time. In 1728 the family removed
from Lancaster county into York county, and
from that day to this the family name has been
intimately linked with the civic and industrial
afifairs of the latter county.

Jacob M. Bollinger, grandfather of John
J., was born and reared in York county, and
became a prominent and influential farmer of
Carroll county, Md., where he resided during
the major portion of his long and useful life,
though in his later years he resided in Adams
county, in which latter both he and his wife
died.

Jesse Bollinger, son of Jacob M., is one of
the well-known and highly honored citizens
of York county, and was for many years en-
gaged in the mercantile business in Hanover,
where he is now living retired, having been a
resident of the county during practically his
entire life. His wife, whose maiden name was



Ella E. Bucher, is a daughter of the late
Michael Bucher, a prominent citizen of Han-
over borough, where he served many years as
justice of the peace and conveyancer, while in
this connection it should also be recorded that
his family was founded in this county more
than a century ago. Jesse and Ella E. Bollin-
ger became the parents of four children,
namely : Preston M., who is a salesman in the
city of Philadelphia; Mary E., wife of Rev.
Paul W. Roller, a clergyman of the Lutheran
church and resident of Hudson, N. Y., at the
time of this writing; Anna B., at home; and
John J. The father is a Republican in his
political proclivities, and both he and his wife
are members of the Reformed Church.

John J. Bollinger was born in the borough
of Hanover, this county, Jan. 13, 1878, and
after completing the cru'riculum of the public
schools of his native town he was matriculated
in famous old Franklin and Marshall College,
in the city of Lancaster, where he completed
the classical course, and was graduated as a
member of the class of 1898, receiving the de-
gree of Bachelor of Arts. While in college
he was a popular and appreciative member of
the Chi Pi fraternity, and also the Diagno-
thian Literary Society. After his graduation
Mr. Bollinger began the work of technical
preparation for his chosen profession, entering
the law office of Ross & Brenneman, of York,
under whose effective preceptorship he con-
tinued his studies until eligible for admission
to the Bar. He was admitted to practice in
the courts of York county July 23, 1901, and
later was admitted to practice before the Su-
preme Court of the State. He is meeting with
success in his professional endeavors, and is
rapidly gaining enviable prestige at the Bar
and as a counselor. In politics he is a stal-
wart'advocate of the principles and policies of
the Democratic party, and his religious faith
is indicated in his holding membership in
Emanuel Reformed church, at Hanover. Fra-
ternally he is affiliated with the Benevolent &
Protective Order of Elks and the Knights of
Pythias.

CHARLES W. VOGEL, general superin-
tendent of the York Manufacturing Company,
of York, Pa., and a man known throughout
York county, comes of an old and honored
family, his ancestors being among the pioneer
settlers of Pennsylvania. His birth took place



836



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



in Bedford county, Pa., June i6, 1875, and
he is a son of F, H. and Elizabeth (Shreve)
Vogel.

On the maternal side of the house, the
founders of the family of Shreve settled in
Bedford county, and the maternal great-grand-
father drove the stage from Philadelphia to
Pittsburg in Colonial days.

F. H. Vogel, the father, was born in Ger-
many, but came to America when fifteen years
of age. At present he is a resident of Phila-
delphia, and owner of a furniture factory. He
and his wife have had seven children : Robert
and Julia, who died in early childhood ; one that
died in infancy unnamed; Daniel, in charge of
the complaint department in Wanamaker's at
Philadelphia; Harry L., a member of the offi-
cial staff at Strawbridge & Clothier, Philadel-
phia, for a number of years, and at present
with a pipe-organ concern, also in Philadel-
phia ;• Francis Gilbert, with the Gas Meter
Company, of Philadelphia; and Charles W.,
of York.

After finishing his public school course,
Charles W. Vogel was thoroughly educated
in draughting and business and electrical
methods, studying to be a practical machinist
for four years at Philadelphia. He then took
a private course in business, and then became
connected with a bicycle concern, of which he
was manager of the manufacturing depart-
ment for a year. In 1898, Mr. Vogel became
connected with the York Manufacturing Com-
pany, but after a short period left that com-
pany, and returned to Philadelphia, there en-
tering the employ of the Pennsylvania Iron
Works, where he continued for six months.

During the Spanish-American war Mr.
Vogel was employed in the ordnance depart-
ment of the Midvale Steel Works, and later



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 159 of 201)