Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 16 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 16 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


a business college in the city of Balti-
more, Md., where he completed a course
of study and was graduated in 1889.
For the ensuing eight years he was a suc-
cessful and popular teacher in the public
schools of his native county, and at the expira-
tion of this period, in 1897, became bookkeeper
in the City Bank of York. In 1900 he was ap-
pointed assistant cashier, a just recognition
of fidelity and efificient executive service on his
part. He enjoys marked popularity in the
business and social circles of his home city,
and is a member of the Lafayette Club and the
Country Club. He is a communicant of St.
John's Protestant Episcopal Church, for the
past several years has been a member of its
vestry, and since 1900 has been treasurer of
the parish, being known as a thorough church-
man and taking great interest in all branches
of the parish work. Mrs. Baird likewise is a



communicant of and zealous worker in thi
church. Mr. Baird gives his allegiance to th(
Republican party, and though he is a loyal and
public-spirited citizen he has never been an
aspirant for political ofifice of any description.

On Sept. 12, 1900, was solemnized the
marriage of Mr. Baird to Miss Isabelle Mc-
Lean, daughter of James McLean, a promi-
nent dry-goods merchant of York, and to this
union have come three children, Elizabeth,
Helen and Isabelle.

WILLIAM FROELICH. With a record
of half a century's connection with the busi-
ness interests of York, and that in the same
business, and practically in the same firm, Will-
iam Froelich, of the firm of William Froelich &
Son, merchant tailors, becomes at once an in-
teresting subject for the biographer. In this
connection will also be mentioned the "Son"
of the firm, William A. Froelich, one of the
choice business spirits of the city, and re-
cently the honored president of the Merchants
Association of York. William Froelich &
Son have their place of business in Odd Fel-
lows Hall, at Nos. 100-107 South George
street.

Froelich is a German name, this branch
of the family having been brought to the
United States by William Froelich, who ar-
rived here May 15, 1850. He started the
present business in 1862, in 1868 forming a
co-partnership with F. A. Stieg^ and they were
together under the name of Stieg & Froelich
until 1869 when the co-partnership was dis-
solved, Mr. Froelich continuing alone until
1888, when the change to the present name
was made.

Mr. Froelich was united in marriage -to
Miss Pauline Stieg, a daughter of Frederick
A. Stieg, and their family consisted of eight
children, two of whom died in early childhood.
Those living are: William A., partner with
his father in the business of mercliant tailor;
Walter -S., a druggist in Philadelphia : Philip
H., a clerk in his father's store; Minnie S.. the
wife of Henry P. Palmer, an insurance agent
of York's social circles, being prominent in the
the latter a graduate of the York Collegiate
Institute, and of the State Xormal School at
Millersville, class of 1905.

William August Froelich. the son and



HISTORY OF YORK CO'UXTY, PENNSYLVANIA



partner, was born in York Dec. 22, 1864.
With the advantages of the public schools he
secured a good business education, and then
entered his father's store as a clerk, continu-
ing in this relation until 1888, when he was
made a partner, and the firm name changed to
that of William Froelich &. Son. The son has
developed a splendid aptitude for business, and
has put much life and energy into the firm.
The combination of his youthful energy and
the father's long experience has resulted in
building up a business of large and profitable
proportions.

William A. Froelich took unto himself a
wife, in 1895, in the person of Annie S.,
daughter of Frederick A. Beck, warehouse
manager for P. A. & S. Small. They have
had two children, Mary and Virginia.

William A. Froelich is a popular member
of York's social circles being prominent in the
Elks and other fraternal organizations in the
city. He has interested himself, however, to
a greater degree in the line of business develop-
ment of the city. He was one of the organ-
izers of the Merchants Association in 1897,
and evinced such an intelligent interest in its
growth and welfare as to cause his election in
the spring of 1904, as its president, he being
the third to hold this honorable position. Dur-
ing the Sesqui-centennial of the city, one of
the greatest successes in the line of business
displays ever given in York, Mr. Froelich had
the honor of being a member of the executive
board of the General Committee which planned
and carried the program to its successful frui-
tion.

Of the father it may be said that while his
life has not been a spectacular one he has met
his opportunities fairly and squarely and has
made the most of them, in that open, honest,
persistent way that always wins success. No
man stands higher in business circles today in
York, and he and his family are held in high,
regard.

R. HATHAWAY SHINDEL, the cap-
able and efficient cashier of the First National
Bank of York, whose thorough understanding
of finance has won him enviable standing in the
banking world, is the eldest son of Jacob G.
and Abigail (Hathaway) Shindel, and was



born at Selinsgrove, Snyder Co., Pa., Sept. 29,
1850.

Hon. Jacob G. Shindel was born in 1818, in
Northumberland county, of German descent.
He was educated in his native county, and there
spent the earlier years of his life. Subsequently
he removed to Selinsgrove, and for a time
engaged in general merchandising, but later
pursued the drug business in which he con-
tinued for many years. He was an old-time
Democrat, but being a man of unusual popu-
larity, was elected associate judge on the Dem-
ocratic ticket in a county strongly Republican.
He was one of the stalwart men of his county,
useful in both public and private life. He mar-
ried Abigail Hathaway, whose father, Reuben
Hatha-way, was of English descent, and re-
sided in Snyder county. Three children were
born to Mr. and Mrs. Shindel : R. Hathaway ;
James C, a Lutheran, clergyman of Newark,
Ohio; and Susan M., wife of Simon L. Kamp,
a resident of Millmont, Delaware Co., Penn-
sylvania.

R. Hathaway Shindel grew to manhood in
his native village, receiving his education in the
public schools and the missionary institute now
known as the Susquehanna L^niversity. When
he laid aside his text books, he became a clerk
in his father's drug store, where he remained
for six years. Leaving the drug store he was
appointed station agent at Selinsgrove for the
Sunbury & Lewiston Railway Company,
whose, service he left some years later to be-
come teller in the Snyder County Bank. He
was subsequently promoted to the position of
cashier, and served the bank in that capacity un-
til 1876, when he removed to York and became
bookkeeper in the First National Baitk, of that
city, a position he held until 1887. In that
year the City Bank of York was organized, and
he was elected to the position of cashier in that
institution. In further recognition of his abil-
ity as a banker, Mr. Shindel was June 4, 1900,
elected cashier of the First National Bank of
York, of which his father-in-law, the late Ja-
cob D. Schall, was president. On Feb. 14,
1905, he was elected a director to fill the va-
cancy caused by the death of John H. Smill,
and at the organization of the board was ap-
pointed vice-president and cashier. During his
many years of banking, Mr. Shindel has been
a careful student of banking institutions and



BIOGRAPHICAL



8i



systems, and has pro\'ed himself a conscientious
and capable otiicial. He is recognized as a con-
servative financier, of undoubted integrit}- and
fine intellect. After coming to York, Mr.
Shindel interested himself in a number of its
business enterprises outside of the bank with
which he is connected, preferring to aid the
progress of home industry and home enter-
prise, even when it seemed more advantageous
to indulge in foreign investments.

Mr. Shindel is a member of the Masonic
fraternity in high standing, and also of several
secret and beneficial organizations, among
which may be mentioned the Benevolent &
Protective Order of Elks. In matters of re-
ligion Mr. Shindel is affiliated with the Episco-
pal Church, of which organization in York he is
a vestryman and warden. In politics he is an
earnest advocate and supporter of Republican
policies, and under the first charter of York
was elected a member of the common council,
and in 1889 was made city treasurer. After
serving one year in the latter capacity, the law
then regulating the election of city officials in
the State of Pennsylvania was declared uncon-
stitutional, and after the requisite legal change
was made, he was re-nominated and elected for
a term of three years under the declared con-
stitutional requirements. Mr. Shindel is pres-
ident of the Sixth Ward Republican Club, and
was made vice president of the Republican
State League when it met at York, in 1895, and
again in 1896 when that body convened at Erie,
Pa. He was elected a delegate to the Repub-
lican National Convention which met at St.
Louis, Mo., in June, 1896, was an ardent sup-
porter of McKinley, the successful candidate
for President, and in that year a Presidential
elector for this district. In 1900 he was dele-
gate to the National Republican convention
which met in Philadelphia to nominate Mc-
Kinley and Roosevelt.

In December, 1872, Mr. Shindel was united
in marriage with Mary B. Hummel, a daughter
of L. R. Hummel, of Selinsgrove, Snyder
county. Mr. Shindel's first wife died in Au-
g'ust, 1880. In 1882. he married Lizzie M.
Schall, the estimable daughter of the late Ta-
crb D. Schall, who was president of the First
National Bank.

REV. DAVID S. CURRY, pastor of the
First Presbyterian Church, of York, Pa., is



of Scotch-Irish ancestry, that race which our
historians declare has played such an import-
ant part in our country's progress.

The mother of David is Mary Elizabeth
Stewart Curry. The father is William Curry.
Both are Presbyterian Church members and
are descended from Presbyterians. William
has been for fifty years owner and a successful
manager of one of the largest farms in the
vicinity of Belfast, Ireland. From boyhood it
had been the purpose of William Curry to give
himself to the Gospel ministry, but being the
only son of his parents no way was opened up
whereby he could attain the cherished ideal of
his life. That purpose Providence effected in
ways other than he had originally planned, for
two sons, Samuel and David S., felt called of
God to enter upon that life-work which had al-
ways been so near to the heart of their father.
The former is now a leading Presbyterian
pastor in Clones, Ireland, where he has labored
successfully for eight years. The latter is
pastor in York.

David Stewart Curry received his educa-
tion in the schools of his native country, at-
tending for two years the Model School at
Coleraine, also the Coleraine Academy for five
years, and the Queen's College, Galway, for
three years.

It was in 1898 that he graduated from the
Royal Univei''sity of Ireland, in Dublin, with
the classical degree of A. B. Among the hon-
ors won by him in connection with the
Queen's College and the Royal University
were the following: prizes in the College Ath-
letics, especially in football and tennis; a first
class honor in English in the entrance exami-
nation for the University, being fifth among-
about two thousand competitors; the money
prize each year, for three successive years, in
open competition in three annual examina-
tions; the Senior Scholarship money prize in
History and Political Economy; the "Sir
Thomas Moffett Medal for oratory and com-
position," 'founded that same year and pre-
sented to Mr. Curry as its first recipient by the
president. Sir Thomas, in connection with the
Queen's College Debating Society.

But Scotland and America were destined,
in some respects, to play parts of still greater
moment in his history. In order to pursue hi.s
studies for the ministry he crossed to Scotland,



go HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, 'PENNSYLVANIA

the historic fountain head of Presbyter ianism, well as the gifts for the current expenses of the
and there in Edinburgh, the seat cf Scottish church itself.

lore, "Scotia's Darling Seat," he studied in the It was on March 12, 1900, that a most im-

New Colleo'e of the Free Church, coming under portant event occurred in the life of the pastor
the influence of such men as Professor Marcus — ^his marriage to Aliss Catherine Barclay
Dods, Professor A. B. Davidson, Reverends Eraser, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas
Alexander Whvte, Hugh Black, and George Fraser, of Edinburgh, Scotland. In virtue of
Matheson. ' ^^^i' beautiful and lovable personality, her win-

Turnino- his attention in his middle year ning manner, and her capacity to form and re-
toward Princeton, where his brother had tain friendship, she has been from the begin-
studied a few years previous, he spent his sec- ning a great help and inspiration to her hus-
ond and his third theological years at its band, not in the Manse alone but also in the
Seminar}', coming under the influence of men church and its work, both among young and
such as' Professors Green, Paxton, Purves, old. The people of the church have shown
Warfield and Davis, graduating in 1900. their devotion to the Rev. ]\Ir. Curry and his

Immediately after graduation, which oc- gifted wile in many ways and on many oc-
curred on May 8th. Mr. Curry came to York casions. To them two sons have been born :
as assistant to the late lamented Rev. Henry George Fraser in 1902; and David \\'illiam
E. Niles, D. D., in the First Presbyterian in 1905.

Church, having been elected in February, four Rev. Mr. and Mrs. Curry paid a xisk to

months before graduation, and having been England, Scotland and Ireland in 1903. On
ordained (by the Presbytery of New Bruns- Jan. 2, 1905, Mr. Curry renounced for ever his
Avick) a minister of the gospel before leaving allegiance to King Edward. VII. and became
Princeton. No sooner had Mr. Curry became a citizen of the United States of America,
located in York than he entered on his work as Mr. Curry has been an officer several times in
assistant. Owing, however, to the fact that the ^Ministerial Association, was a Commis-
Dr. Niles died a few days after 'Sh: Curry's sioner to Pennsylvania Synod in 1904. is a
arrival, the latter labored as "Acting Pastor" trustee of the Collegiate Institute and Presi-
for six months. It was on Oct. 18. 1900, at a dent of the York County Sabbath Association,
congregational meeting, that Mr. Curry was and was a Commissioner to the General Assem-
called to assume the duties of the full pastorate bly in Des Moines, Iowa, in 1906.
of the First Church, founded in 1790, by Rev.

Robert Cathcart, D. D., also of Coleraine, Ire- GEORGE FREDERICK IMOTTER,

land, rebuilt in its present beautiful style in whose sudden demise is still fresh in the mem-
1860 under Rev. Dr. Street, a stronghold of ory of his fellow-citizens of York, was torn
Presbyterianism for over a century, second to Oct. 23, 1838, in York county, at the Motter
none of all York churches in influence for homestead on the Wrightsville Pike. For the
good, advanced to its present prominence by last few years of his life he had lived retired,
the blessing of the Almig-hty on successive but he had been for many years prominent in
generations of pastors capable and faithful, business circles and in the development of var-
and cf people loyal, generous, and devoted to ious interests in the city, and he accomplished
the church and its progress. much that is destined to be of enduring value

Rich Divine blessing has attended the Rev. to the community.
Mr. Curry's efforts and these of his people, as Mr. Motter came of a family whose mem-

seen in the manifest growth in membership, bers have been identified with the history of
attendance on public worship, interest in this section of Pennsylvania from the early
church work, and gifts during his pastorate, days of York and Adams counties. The first
the church membership having increased from of the name to come to this country were Fred-
450 in 1900. to 620 in IQ05, and the already erick, Henry, George and Louis iSIotter. who
generous annual gifts for benevolences of over emigrated from Germany. They settled in
$3000 ha\'ing been increased considerably, as Pennsylvania, near the :\Iaryland Ime, and



BIOGRAPHICAL



83



their descendants have since maintained high
standing among the substantial residents of
that section. Henry Motter was the grand-
fatiier of George F. Motter, whose name intro-
duces tliis sketch. He Hved in Adams count}-,
and reared a large family, namely : Samuel
Henry, Joseph (who served in the ^Mexican
war), Daniel, Jacob, Jesse, Lewis, Frederick,
Catherine, Martha and iMargaret.

Col. Daniel Motter. father of George F.
Motter, was born March 21, 18 14, and mar-
ried Catherine Klinepeter, who was born April
6, 1814, daughter of .Frederick and Christina
Klinepeter. They had a family of nine chil-
dren, all now deceased but two, namely:
Martha, who was the wife of William Stah-
ley: Lewis; George F. ; IMirah J., wife of \A'il-
liam Smyser; ]Mary C, who is the wife of Ed-
win I. Kraber, who is in the plumbing business
in York; Catherine A., widow of George Ross,
of Homer, N. Y. ; Louisa A., deceased; Daniel
Joseph, who died young; and Alice ]M. The
mother of this family died in York at the age
of seventy-three years.

When a young man Daniel ]\Iotter learned
the tanner"s trade, but he did not follow it
long. He was best suited to affairs that
brought him into constant contact with his fel-
lowmen, and so he made a success at auction-
eering, at which he continued for some time,
becoming well known in that line. In the late
forties he moved into the citv of York, and
there owned and conducted the "Motter
House," becoming very popular- in that con-
nection. Indeed, there were few men in York
in his day who were better known or had more
friends. The nature of his business gave him
social opportunities which were entirely con-
genial to his disposition. He was a man who
bore the utmost goodwill toward all his fellow
creatures, and his desire to help others, no less
than his native energy, made him active in
many lines outside of his actual personal in-
terests. He took considerable interest in pub-
lic afifairs, and was captain of the York
Washington Artillerists and president of the
Vigilant Fire Company, both of which organ-
izations mourned in his death the loss of a
most able officer, and one whose efforts had
done much to promote their efficiency and high
standing. Col. Motter served in many official
positions, and in everv case discharged his



duties in the most conscientious and satisfac-
tory manner. On June 10, 1854, shortlv be-
fore his death,, at a meeting held in the court-
house by the friends of the York, Dillsburg,
Shippensburg & Greencastle railroad, he was
appointed one of a committee composed of in-
fluential citizens who were to wait upon the
people of York county to solicit subscriptions
for the road. Though he died at the early
age of forty, Aug. 2, 1854, after a protracted
illness, he filled a place in the communitv not
often attained by men whose years covered
much more than the allotted span. \\'ith all
of his many interests of a purely personal or
social nature, and to all of which he attended
faithfully, he was a man of marked business
capacity, and by his own efforts he won success
and attained an independent position, which,
unfortunately, he was not long permitted to
enjoy. Naturally robust, and possessing a
hardy constitution, the long illness which pre-
ceded his death was very trying, and he con-
tinued at his work and bore his increasing
afflictions with a fortitude which was wonder-
ful. His funeral, which was conducted by Hu-
mane Lodge, I. O. O. F., the York \\'ashing-
ton Artillerists and the Vigilant Fire Company,
was one of the largest ever known in York.

George F. Motter, son of Col. Daniel JNIot-
ter, was a worthy successor to his father in the
business life of York. He was about ten years
old when his parents moved to this city, his
father at that time taking charge of the "Mot-
ter House," and he attended the public schools
of the city and the York County Academy. He
commenced work as a clerk in the dry goods
store of John A. \\'eiser, at the southeast cor-
ner of Center Scpiare, and followed that occu-
pation for several years. But merchandising
did not appeal to him, and he went to learn the
trade of machinist at the establishment of
Baugher, Frey & Kurtz, now Eyster. \\'eiser
& Co. This proved to be the principal work
of his life, for he made his greatest success as
a manufacturer of machinery. In time he be-
came a member of the firm of Frey, ]\Iotter &
Co., who had a branch of the \A'est End ■Manu-
factory, this concern doing business for about
ten years, when it was reorganized as Frey &
INIotter, manufacturers of boilers and engines.
The senior member, Enos Frey, died in 1892,
and the business was then assumed by Mr.



84



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Hotter and his sons, under the style of George
F. Hotter & Sons, continuing so until four
years before Mr. Motter's death, when he sold
his interest to his sons, thereafter living re-
tired. Mr. Hotter was always looked upon as
one of the ablest promoters of up-to-date in-
dustrial conditions in York, for though not an
idle theorist or reckless speculator, he was
progressive to the core, and his energy and
thorough executive ability made him recog-
nized as a friend of progress from the time of
his early manhood. He encouraged and sup-
ported many enterprises outside of his own
line, being a far-sighted manager and a shrewd
financier, and at the time of his death was still
serving as a director in the York Safe & Lock
Company, the Farmers Market Company and
the York County National Bank, and was
treasurer of the York Clay Company. He was
one of the originators of the Westinghouse
Light, Heat & Power Company of York. Out-
side of these numerous interests he found time
for the various projects which tend to improve
a city both morally and materially, making a
community self-respecting, safe, convenient
and agreeable as a place of residence. Like
his father he was particularly interested in the
Vigilant Fire Company, of which he was a
member for many years, and at one time en-
gineer, and although he was not in the active
service for several years before his death
he personally attended fires and looked after
the steamers. For a number of years he was
one of the trustees of the Prospect Hill Ceme-
tery Company.

Fraternally Mr. Hotter united with the
Artisans and the Freemasons, and his relig-
ious connection was with Trinity Reformed
Church, of which he had been a member of the
Consistory for many years prior to his death.
He passed away at his home quietly and sud-
denly, at a quarter to seven in the morning of
March 15, 1906, while reading his newspaper,
without any warning that death was so near,
for he arose that day apparently in his usual
good health. Though he had lived retired for
the four years preceding his demise his sudden
taking away affected many interests, and he
was widely missed and as widely mourned,
and there were many expressions of sincere
regret from his associates in the different re-



lations of life. In "Pulpit and Pew," for
April, 1906, appeared the following:

At a meeting of the Consistory of Trinity Re-
formed Church, held March 15, 1906, the following
resolutions were •adopted in memory of Mr. Geo. F.
Motter:

With sorrow the Consistory of Trinity Re-
formed Church has learned of the very sudden
death of Mr. Geo. F. Motter, and would hereby
record its high appreciation of the personal worth
and valuable services of the departed.

Mr. Motter was all his life a member of Trinity
Reformed Church and for thirty-seven years a mem-
ber of the Consistory, serving first as Deacon, and
later as Elder and Trustee. In all these offices he
acted for the betterment of his fellowmen and tht:
welfare of Trinity Reformed Church.

By courtesy and kindness, as well as by purity
of life and character, our departed friend has se-
cured the love, esteem and confidence of his co-
workers in this church and elsewhere. We express
our deep sympathy to the family of our deceased
brother in their great loss and bereavement.



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 16 of 201)