Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 160 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 160 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


returned to York, again entering the 'York
Manufacturing Company. He occupied vari-
ous positions with this concern until April i,
1904, when he was made assistant superin-
tendent. After one year's service in the ca-
pacity of assistant superintendent he was
made superintendent of the entire works,
which responsible position he now holds. He
is well-fitted for the duties, and is a favorite
with his men, as well as with his employers.

On Oct. 19, 1899, Mr. Vogel was united
in marriage with Ida Holman, of England,
daughter of Charles and Mary Holman, form-
erly of England, but now of Philadelphia.



Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs.
Vogel : James Holman, and Carl Stephens.
In religious matters Mr. Vogel is a Methodist.
In politics he is a Republican, although as yet
he has taken no active part in public afi:airs.
He is enterprising, reliable and thoroughly
competent, possessing a pleasant, courteous
manner, which wins him friends on every side.

EDWARD THOMAS KEYWORTH.
second son of Charles A. Key worth (son of
Thomas Key worth of York) and Mary Jane
Castor (daughter of Peter Castor of Frank-
ford, Philadelphia), was born in the City of
York Feb. 23, 1870. After attending the pub-
lic school and the York Collegiate Institute
Mr. Keyworth took a course in architecture in
the University of Pennsylvania. He began his
oflice practice under Arthur P. Rosser and
later went in the office of J. A. Dempwolf.
In 1903 he entered the ofiice of Hamme &
Leber.

At the beginning of the Spanish-American
war Mr. Keyworth helped to organize, became
a member and was appointed second sergeant
of, a volunteer company for active service in
the United States Army. Later this became
Company F of the nth Regiment of the Na-
tional Guards of Pennsylvania, being
thoroughly equipped for State and national
service. Mr. Keyworth was elected second
lieutenant of said company, and later was ap-
pointed adjutant, of the Second Battalion, nth
Regiment, to Major A. H. Raber, by Colonel
Louis A. Wateres, of Scranton. Mr. Key-
worth participated in the military part of the
inauguration of Governor W. A. Stone, and
the unveiling of ex-Governor Hartranft's
statue, and the funeral obsequies of Briga-
dier-General Magee, of Wirightsville.

Mr. Keyworth married, Sept. 19, 1900,
Irene Louise Rapalee, twin daughter of Miners
Rapalee and Rowena Spooner of Penn Yan.
N. Y. Mr. and Mrs. Keyworth have one
child, Donald Rapalee, born April 25, 1902.
During Mr. Keyworth's childhood he was as-
sociatecJ with Zion Lutheran Sunday-school,
but later, in 1884, joined Calvary Presbyte-
rian Church. On attaining his majority he as-
sociated himself with the Republican party,
and he takes an active interest in its politics.

CHARLES AUGUSTUS KEYWORTH.
youngest son of Charles Augitstus Keyworth



BIOGRAPHICAL



837



and Mary Jane Castor, was born in the city of
York Oct. 2, 1874. When a boy he attended
the piibhc schools and later the York Colle-
giate Institute. After leaving school he stud-
ied architecture in the oiBce of Arthur P. Ros-
ser, and remained with him until Mr. Rosser]s
death, and several years with his successor.
In the year 1895 he opened an office of his own
in his native town, and is practicing his profes-
sion with success. When he became of age he
affiliated himself \\'ith the Republican . party,
and takes some active interest in furthering
its' principles.

Charles A. Keyworth, his father, was born
in York Feb. 24, 1837, and died in the same
town Feb. 24, 1876. He was educated in the
public schools of his native town and at the
York County Academy, but the more import-
ant part of his education was obtained through
self tuition and attrition with people and
places. Fle was a wide and diverse reader of
literature, refined tastes and safe business in-
stincts. He succeeded his father in the jew-
elry business at No. 8 East Market street,
York, which he conducted successfully until
the time of his death. In addition to his duties
in connection with his main occupation, he in-
vested largely and judiciously in real estate,
which in after years yielded a comfortable
legacy in itself. He was a director in the York
County National Bank, in whose affairs he al-
ways manifested an active and intelligent in-
terest. He was also president of several build-
ing and loan associations, was one of the first
promoters of the Peach Bottom railroad and
the York and Chanceford turnpike, and sus-
tained important relations to a number of
other industries in York and environs. In
politics he was a Republican, and served for
some time as a member of the school boaixl,
and took a very general interest in educational
affairs and the moral improvement of the com-
munity. He was a member and officially con-
nected with Zion Lutheran Church throughout
the greater portion of his life.

Mr. Keyworth was united in marriage
with Mary J. Castor, a daughter of Peter Cas-
tor, of Philadelphia, and by her had six chil-
dren, namely : Mary Leah, wife of Dr. Niles
H. Shearer, wholesale druggist of York; Bes-
sie Anna, who died in 1884, at the age of
eighteen years ; William A. ; Edward Thomas,
draughtsman with Hamme & Leber ; S. Louise
and Charles Au2;ustus.



HARVEY A. GROSS, a representative
of the younger contingent of the members of
the Bar of York county, is engaged in the
practice of his profession in the city of York,
and through his ability and close application
to business is gaining unmistakable prestige.
He is a native son of York county and a scion
of one of its sterling pioneer families, the lin-
eage tracing back to stanch German origin,
AN'hile representatives of the name which he
bears were numbered among the first settlers
in the old Keystone State.

Joel Gross, his grandfather, passed his en-
tire life in Washington township, this county,
having been a wagonmaker by trade and vo-
cation.

Joseph Gross, father of Harvey A., was
born and reared in Washington township, and
there learned the wagonmaker's trade under
the direction of his honored sire, while he se-
cured a liberal education and was for twenty-
eight years a successful and popular teacher in
the schools of Washington township, where
he also was incumbent of the office of justice
of the peace for a period of twenty-seven years.
He was private in Company E, 200th P. V. I.,
and lost his left leg at Fort Steadman March
25, 1865. He is now living retired in York,
Pa., having attained the age of sixty-two years
(1905). His wife, whose maiden name was
Maria Walker, was likewise born and reared
in York county, bejng a daughter of John
Walker, who was a prominent and infli'iential
farmer of Warrington township. Joseph and
Maria (Walker) Gross became the parents of
seven children, all of whom are living, namely :
Olive, wife of David M. Everhart, of York ;
Anna, who is a graduate nurse ; Lewis, bag-
gagemaster of the Dallastown street railway,
of Dallastown, this county; Charles W., a clerk
in the office of the Pennsylvania Railroad Co.
at Altoona ; Kate, a teacher in the schools of
North York borough ; Daisy, a teacher in the
York city schools; and Harvey A.

Harvey A. Gross was born on the old home-
stead farm in Washington township, this
county, Jan. 21, 1880. and after completing the
curriculum of the public schools he continued
his studies in the State Normal School at
Kutztown, Berks county, where he was gradu-
ated as a member of the class of 1898. There-
after he devoted two years to successful teach-
ing in tlie public schools of Washington town-
ship, and in 1900, he \\as matriculated in the



838



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



law department of Dickinson College, at Car-
lisle, where he completed the prescribed course
and was graduated as a member of the class of

1903, receiving the degree of Bachelor of Laws,
and being admitted to the Bar of his native
State Jan. 19, 1904. He at once opened an of-
fice in the Security Title & Trust Co.'s build-
ing, in York, and is meeting with gratifying-
success in the early period of his professional
yi^ork. In politics he is an uncompromising ad-
vocate of the principles of the Democratic
party, and his religious views are in harmony
with the noble tenets of the Society of Friends,
with which the famih' has been identified for
several generations. Fraternally he is identi-
fied with the Patriotic Order of Sons of
America.

EVANS M. FREE, M. D., of Stewarts-
town, was born there Jan. 30, 1877, son of Dr.
John L. and Annie (Wiley) Fi"ee. His pa-
ternal grandfather, Peter Free, was a farmer
of York county, while his maternal grandfather
was David W. Wiley, a native of Harford
county, Md., who was of French and English
ancestry.

Dr. John L. Free, the father of Evans M.,
was a prominent figure in southern York coun-
ty, having been actively engaged in the practice
of medicine for about fifty-eight years. He
graduated from Washington University in
1847, ^rid, selecting Dillsburg as the field of
his professional labor, remained in practice
there for five years, at the end of that period
locating in Stevvartstown, where he remained
until his death, which occurred in September,

1904. Dr. Free took an active part in religious
work and was one of the most prominent mem-
bers of the Stewartstown M. E. Church for
more than fifty years, becoming well and fa-
vorably known throughout the southern part
of York county and the border counties of
Maryland not only as a skillful physician, but
as a man of high Christian chraacter. He was
a general practitioner, and was very successful
in many complicated cases. The Doctor won
the confidence and affection of the community
and enjoyed as much practice as he was able
to handle. His children were : Howard, who is
deceased ; Jennie, who married John H. Kurtz ;
Dr. Evans M. ; Nora E., who married James
Gerry; and Elizabeth E., who married Prof.
Arthur Carver.

Evans M. Free attended the public schools



of his native place, and later the Stewartstown
Collegiate Institute. His medical studies were
prosecuted under his father, who prepared him
for entrance to the College of Physicians and
Surgeons, at Baltimore, from which he was
graduated in 1899, in the same year beginning
practice at Stewartstown. At the death of his
father Dr. Free assumed his large practice, and
he is regai-ded as one of the most prom'ising
and skillful young physicians in the county.
He gives most careful attention to his patients,
sparing himself in no way when life or health
are in the balance. He is a close student, and
has associated himself with the best medical
organizations, among them being the York '
County Medical Society. He takes advantage
of every opportunity to learn new methods in
the controlling and conquering of disease.

Dr. Evans M. Free married Miss Almeda
Edie, of Harford county, Md., in the year
1902. He is an ofiicial member of the M. E.
Church, and, like his father, takes an active
part in the work of that denomination. If Dr.
Free has a hobby it is a love of good horses,
an appreciation which no modern mode of
quick transportation can overcome.

CORNELIUS H. SEITZ, of Glen Rock,
was born in September, 1877, in Shrews-
bury township, son of Henry and Celinda
(Frey) Seitz, and is a descendant of one of the
old families of York county. Samuel Seitz,
the grandfather, was a farmer of the county,
and had the following children: Henry, Ed-
ward K., James, Francis, Samuel, George, and
two daughters. Henry Seitz, the father of
Cornelius, was a butcher of Glen Rock, and
is deceased. He had five children : Two daugh-
ters who died in infancy, Oscar, Herbert and
Cornelius H.

Cornelius H. Seitz attended the public
school at Glen Rock, and later took a course of
study at the business college of York, graduat-
ing in 1894. He then engaged in the carriage
business with W. C. Koller, at Glen Rock, be-
ing clerk and salesman for six years, when he
bought the Glen Rock Novelty Works and be-
gan the manufacture of magnifying photo-
graph frames, paper weights and novelties of a
similar nature. Mr. Seitz is thoroughly prac-
tical and has advanced to the front by his nat-
ural adaptability and strict attention to busi-
ness.

Mr. Seitz has been called upon by his party



BIOGRAPHICAL



839



to fill the offices of town inspector and commit-
teeman, and in these capacities he has served in
a most satisfactor}' manner. Fraternally he is
affiliated with Shrewsbury Lodge, No. 423, A.
F. & A. M., the Red Men and the Heptasophs.
He is highly regarded as an enterprising and
public-spirited business man.

WILLIAM ISAAC KOLLER, secretary
and treasurer of the Rockdale Powder Com-
pany, and treasurer and general manager of the
Rockdale Railroad Co., was born in the bor-
ough of Shrewsbury, York Co., Pa., April 29,
1 87 1, son of John William Koller, farmer, and
Isabell Loucks Koller, daughter of Z. K.
Loucks, Sr., of Spring Garden township, York
Co., Pennsylvania.

j\Ir. Roller's mother died when he was but
two years old, when his grandparents on his
mother's side concluded to ha^'e him come and
live with them at their country residence in the
vicinity of York, known as Loucks' ]Mill. From
their home he attended the country schools in
Manchester and Spring Garden townships until
he attained the age of fourteen years, and then
took a two years' academic course at the York
County Academy, which was then in charge of
Professor Stauffer. This constituted the ex-
tent of his education, with the exception of a
brief business course at the York Commercial
College, where he graduated in 1888.

Being anxious to earn his own livelihood,
he, through the influence of his grandfather.
]\Ir. Loucks, secured a position as billing clerk
in the freight department of the Northern Cen-
tral Railroad Co. On July 2, 1888, he was
tendered the position of messenger at the First
National Bank of York, which position he also
secured through his grandfather, jNIr. Z. K.
Loucks, Sr., who was at the time, and up until
his death, president of the bank. He gradually
rose from messenger until he was appointed
assistant cashier on June i, 1900, which posi-
tion he resigned May 2, 1904, to assume active
duties as secretary and treasurer of the Rock-
dale Powder and Rockdale Railroad companies,
which positions he holds at the present time.
He is also a member of the firm of Myers,
Thompson & Koller, general insurance agents.

"Sir. Koller is a member of the Royal Fire
Company, the York County Historical Society,
the Lafayette Club, the Out Door Club, the
Country Club, Chosen Knights Commandery.
Knights of Malta, No. 174, and also York



Lodge, No. 213, Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks. He is a Lutheran in religious
faith, and is a deacon in the Zion Lutheran
Church of this city. He is in politics a stanch
Republican.

On March 16, 1889, Mr. Koller married
Miss Alice Dean Patterson, daughter of the
late Mayor John Dean Patterson and Clara
(Morris) Patterson, of Harrisburg, Pa., and
three children have been born to them : Dorothy
Patterson, Alice Patterson and Isabelle Loucks
Koller.

Mr. Keller's antecedents are all of German
extraction, both on his father's and mother's
side, and he is numbered among York's prom-
ising young men.

ANDREW J. HERSHEY, a rising young
member of the York county Bar, was born near
Menges' Mill, in Jackson township, Oct. 30,
1877. He is a son of Andrew H. and ^lary S.
(Wiest) Hershey.

Andrew M. Hershey, his grandfather, was
a prosperous farmer of Jackson township, who
married ^Magdalena Hoke, a member of a lead-
ing family of York county. He lived to the
advanced age of eighty-seven years.

Andrew H. Hershey, his father, born Nov.
7, 1853, married Mary S. Wiest, a daughter
of John Wiest, a prominent citizen of Jackson
township, who was married to Elizabeth Mans,
of Carroll county, Md., and who li\-ed to the
age of eighty-two years. They had seven
children, Wilson C, Howard Clinton (de-
ceased), Andrew J., Jacob Paul (deceased),
Fostic Charles (deceased), Lloyd Merlin (de-
ceased), and Elizabeth C.

Andrew J. Hershey grew to manhood en
his father's farm, attended the public schools
until he was fourteen j-ears of age, and after re-
ceiving private instructions from his uncle,
Phares H. Hershey, for two years, entered the
York County Academy, wiiere he remained two
years under the principalship of Prof. George
\V. Gross. Having acquired a good preliminary
education he taught school in his native town-
ship for two years, and then began the study
of law under the instruction of Latimer &
Schmidt, one of the leading law firms at York.
Alter two years of diligent study he was ad-
mitted to the Bar on Nov. 2^. 1901. After his
admission to the Bar I\Ir. Hershey remained
in the office of George S. Schmidt. Esq., a
prominent corporation lawyer with an exten-



840



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



sive practice, and assisted the latter in the
prosecution of his business. With these asso-
ciations he had excellent opportunities of thor-
oughly fitting- himself for his chosen profes-
sion. Being- a 3'oung man of good intellectual
endowments he soon acquired a good standing
at the York County Bar. He resides in the
borough of Spring Grove, but has his law of-
fice in York.

Mr. Hershey was married Dec. 26, 1897,
to Katie E., daughter of George H. and Eliza-
beth (Spangler) Myers, a descendant of one
of the earliest families of York county. They
have one child, Andrew Myers Hershey. born
July 18, 1904.

Mr. and Mrs. Hershev are members of Mt.
Zion Reformed Congregation of Spring Grove.
He is a member of the Ancient Order Knights
of the Mystic Chain and the Junior Order of
United American Mechanics. He has been
active and prominent in the affairs of Spring
Grove, serving for three years as solicitor for
the borough, and was one of the organizers of
the People's National Bank, founded in that
borough in the year 1906. Being courteous
and pleasant in his manner, Mr. Hershey has
many friends and has an encouraging patron-
age in his profession.

LEVI M. BAILEY, M. D. This promis-
ing young specialist among the medical fra-
ternity of Hanover is the representative of one
of the old families of York county. He was
born near Hanover Junction, Aug. 20, 1868,
the son of Samuel and Christiana (Markel)
Bailey. His paternal grandfather was Henry
Bailey, who was also a native of York county,
married a Miss Rohrbaugh, by trade was a
stone-cutter and mason, and for many years
was engaged in the service of the railroad
company at Hanover Junction and Glen Rock.
The great-grandfather of Levi M. was Henry
Bailey. Samuel Bailey, the father, was born
in York county in 1836. He married Chris-
tiana Markel, of Neiman, York county, who
was born in 1838, the daughter of George B.
and Susan (Brenneman) Markel. During the
Civil war Mr. Bailey enlisted in the loist P.
V. I., and served his country faithfully. He
■was a prominent merchant of York county,
conducting a general store at Neiman for forty
years, and with his faithful wife is still living
on the old homestearl, retired from the active
duties of his business. To Samuel and Chris-



tiana Bailey were born the following children :
Emanuel ; Amanda J., wife of Frank Lucen-
baugh ; Levi M. ; Rosa, who married Addie
Stabler ; and Allen G., at home.

The youth of Levi M. Bailey was spent in
the village of Neiman, where he attended the
public schools, continuing his studies at Glen
Rock. At the completion of his period there
he began teaching in the country. Acquiring
the art of telegraphy at Hanover Junction, he
entered the service of the Western Maryland
Radway Company as operator, station agent
and express agent, continuing 'for two years.
Dr. Bailey then began the preparation for his
profession, that of medicine, reading with Dr.
John Broadback at Jefferson, Pa. Matriculat-
ing at Jefferson Medical College, he graduated
from that eminent institution in the class of
1897.

Dr. Bailey began his professional career at
Bandanna, York county, where he continued
in practice for five years, at the expiration of
which period he returned to Philadelphia and
took a post-graduate course in the Polyclinic
Institute. Dr. Bailey then located at 'York,
where he remained for a time. In the spring
of 1902 he settled at Hanover, where in con-
nection with his general practice he has given
special attention to the diseases of the eye, ear,
nose and throat. For this special work he re-
ceived private instruction from Dr. C. A.'
Veasey, of Philadelphia, especially in connec-
tion with the treatment of the eye.

In 1887 Dr. Bailey married Lucy A. Glat-
felter, of Neiman, daughter of Louis K. and
Isabel (Kechner) Glatfelter. Two children
have been born to this union, Jennie M. and
Harry A. Dr. and Mrs. Bailey are members
of Trinity Reformed Church. He is an active
member of the York County Medical Society
and of the Pennsylvania Medical Association.
Among the local fraternal organizations he is
a member of Humane Lodge of York, No.
384, I. O. O. F., of the K. of P., the B. P. O.
E., and the Patriotic Sons of America. In
addition to his skill as a practitioner he is
popular among the people of Hanover and vi-
cinity, and is winning his way to an extensive
and lucrative practice.

HORACE L. CRUMLING, the genial
pro])rietor of the "Flotel Wilson," the lending
hostelry at Wrightsville, York county, was
born in Hellam township, this county, Sept.



BIOGRAPHICAL



841



17, 1857, son of George and Chaiiotta (Poff)
Crumling.

George Crumling, father of Horace L.,
was a very prominent man in Hellam township.
A millwright by trade, he carried on milling
there for a number of years and was also one
of the leading merchants. He was a man of
usefulness in his community, and one whose
judgment was frequently asked and his ad-
vice taken on matters pertaining to the wel-
fare of the neighborhood. He lived to the
age of seventy-one years, sinking into an hon-
ored grave, and was interred in the old Kreutz
Creek cemetery, in Hellam township. His
^•enerable widow still survives, and resides on
the home farm. They had these children : L.
R., who is engaged in a mercantile business at
Hellam; Horace L., of Wrightsville ; George;
Benjamin F. ; William P. ; and five daughters.
The oldest son, Emanuel, and two daughters
died in infancy. The Crumling family is quite
musical.

Horace L. Crumling attended school in his
native township until he was about thirteen
years old, and then began to assist his father
as a clerk in the store, remaining in that ca-
pacity for thirteen years. He then began the
manufacture of cigars and successfully con-
ducted this industry for twenty-one years. In
the meantime, with his brother, L. R. Crum-
ling, he bought the store from his father, and
the brothers continued the business for four
years. He was also interested in other con-
cerns, and for three years was the general
agent of the Great Eastern Map Co., of" Eliza-
beth, N. J. Subsequently he invested in prop-
erty and built the well-known "Hellam Hotel,"
which he operated until 1903, when he took
charge of the "Hotel Wilson."

Mr. Crumling was married to Charlotte
Myers, daughter of George Myers, of Hellam
township, and they have one daughter. Miss
Carrie May, who is a graduate of the Business
College of York. In politics Mr. Crumling is
a Republican. He still retains possession of
the Hellam property and owns other valuable
real estate located at Wrightsville. He is a
director of the Wrightsville and Hellam Fire
Insurance Co. He is a man who counts his
friends by the score, and is one of Wrights-
ville's leading citizens.

C. J. ECKERT, who is actively engaged
in the mercantile business at Pleasant Grove,
York county, was born Sept. zy. 1873, in Mon-



roe township, Cumberland county. Pa., son of
John and Sarah A. (Tripner) Eckert.

Samuel Eckert, the grandfather of C. J.,
was a wagonmaker of Silver Spring, Cumber-
land county, Pa. The children born to him
were: Henry, George, William, Andrew,
John and five daughters.

John Eckert was born Feb. 13, 1839, in
Cumberland county. Shortly after attaining
his majority he migrated to Illinois, returning
to his native county shortly after the Civil
war, where he followed farming. In 1885 he
removed to Warrington township, near \VeIls-
ville, in York county, where he died May 3,
1899, a well known and respected citizen, and
was interred at the Quaker meeting house at
Rossville. On Dec. "5, 1867, he was married
to Sarah A. Tripner, who was born March 7,



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 160 of 201)