George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 162 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 162 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

a memiaer of the school board, and has served
two terms as township assessor and as judge of
election and inspector. He is a director in the
Southern Mutual Fire Insurance Co., of York,



which is one of the strongest in the State, and
is a directoi" of the Horse Thief Detection Co.
Mr. Kroiit has for the past several years en-
gaged in the sale of cream separators, being the
agent for his district of several large manu-
facturing companies.

WILLIAM S. BROSE, a prominent
farmer and large landowner of Railroad bor-
ough, Shrewsbury township, York Co., Pa.,
was born in Hopewell township, York county,
in i860, a son of Adam Brose and a grandson
of Philip Brose, formerly a substantial farmer
in Hopewell township. The children of Philip
Brose, besides Adam, were : Joseph, Henry,
David, Katie, Elizabeth and Susan.

Adam Brose, father of William S., was
born in Hopewell township, where he was edu-
cated in the common schools. He owned a
farm of eighty-seven acres in Hopewell town-
ship, where he engaged in farming until his
untimely death. In May, 1858, he mar-
ried Catherine Wilmiller, who was a daughter
of John Wilmiller. Hc'f death occurred in
February, 1890. Both she and her husband
were buried at the Sadler Church, in their na-
tive township. They were good Christian peo-
ple, who lived cjuiet, sober, virtuous lives. They
were members of the Reformed Church. Their
children were : John and William S. John
married Annie M. Keeney and owns the old

William S. Brose was educated in the
township schools, attending until twenty-one.
His father died when he was two years old,
so he was obliged to make his own way in the
world with little assistance. He worked for
his mother until he was twenty-four years old,
and then for neighboring farmers,, being em-
ployed by tlxe day for about five years. Having
saved his money, he invested it in 1889 in a
fine farm of seventy-four acres, which he
bought of James Markel, in Railroad bor-
ough. Later he purchased thirty-seven acres
of the estate of Dr. Gery, in Shrewsbury town-
ship, adjoining his other property, and after-
ward added another tract, which he bought of
Ferdinand Helb. Mr. Brose now owns 120
acres of very valuable land, on which he has
erected fine buildings. He takes much interest
in his home and devotes all his attention to

In 1890 Mr. Brose was married to Emma
J. Miller, a daughter of Edwell and Mary B.
(Folkomer) Miller. They have had children

as follows : Minnie J., Gerry, Myrtle, Zerva,
Rhoda, Annetia, and Spurgeon and Ah-in,
both of the latter being deceased.

In politics Mr. Brose is a Democrat, and
has served his borough in the office of coun-
cilman and as judge of election. He is one of
the stockholders in the Shrewsbury Furniture
Factory. In religion he is a member of the
Reformed Church, and he is one of its deacons.

JOHN HAMM, one of York county's
representative citizens, engaged in agricultural
pursuits on his fine farm in North Codorus
township, was born in Adams county, Pa.,
July 5, 1845, son of George Hamm. His
grandfather was a farmer of York county,
where he died, being buried at Strayer's
Church, in Dover township. He married Miss
Magdalena Spahr, and they had children,
Daniel and George.

George Hamm was born in York county,
but remo\'ed to Adams county, where he en-
gaged in farming. Later in life he returned to
York county, and, locating in North Codorus
township, spent the remainder of his life there.
He died in that township Dec. 7, 1877, aged
sixty-six years, and was buried. at Strayer's
Church, in Dover township. George Hamm
married Sarah Straj^er, a member of one of
York county's oldest families, who died Feb.
9, 1882, aged sixty-eight years, and they had
these children : Jacob, of Seven Valley ; Eliza,
the wife of Jacob Klinedinst, living near York
New Salem : Catherine, the wife of Granville
Glatfelter; John, our subject; Henry: Daniel,
who married Mary Henrv ; and William, of

John Hamm recei\'ed a common-school
education in North Codorus township, having
come from Adams county with his father when
he was six years old. He married Annie Mary
Hess, daughter of Samuel Hess, deceased, who
was a prominent farmer in Springfield town-
ship. Mr. Hamm purchased his father's farm
of loi acres and also bought fourteen acres
adjoining, made extensive improvements,
erected modern, substantial buildings, and now
has one of the finest farms of his township. Be-
sides his fine property in North Codorus town-
ship Mr. Hamm is the owner of a fine piece of
land consisting of 120 acres, in Springfield

Mr. and Mrs. Hamm have these children :
Clayton, who attends a school in Brooklyn, N.
Y., studying to become an electrical engineer;



Harry, at home; Spencer, a stenographer in
Philadelphia; and Robert, Charles and Ellen,
all at home. In politics Mr. Hamm is a Re-
publican. He is a member of the Reformed


ANDREW STROHLE, who is well
known to the residents of York as the proprie-
tor of the "Grape Hotel," was born in Klein-
erslingen, Goppingen, Wurtemberg, Geninany,
July 20, 1 85 1, son of Andrew and Rosie
(Gemmenheim) Strohle, both natives of Ger-
many, where the former was employed in a
paper mill. They had two children, our sub-
ject and a daughter who resides in Germany.
Mr. Strohle's father and mother both died in
their native country.

Mr. Strohle attended the public schools of
the Fatherland until fourteen years of age, and
then learned the locksmith's trade at which he
served three years, later learning the machin-
ist's trade which he followed until 1881, when
he came to the United States. He sailed from
Antwerp to New York, on the SS. "Switzer-
land," and after landing in this country came
straight to Lancaster, where he remained a
short time and then located in York, and se-
cured work in the E. G. Smyser Co. plant,
where he remained until 1891. He then en-
gaged in the hotel business at the old Peach
Bottom station, remaining until 1894, when
he bought the hotel he conducts at present, the
"Grape," from George Heckler. Mr. Strohle
proves to be a genial host, and his hotel is one
of the finest in the city.

Andrew Strohle was married in Germany
to Lovina Schuler, born Sept. i, 1852, daugh-
ter of Jacob and Maria Schuler, who died in
their native country, Mrs. - Strohle being the
only member of the family to come to the
United States. Mr. and Mrs. Strohle are
members of the Christ Lutheran Church. In
politics he is a Democrat. Fraternally he be-
longs to the Heptasophs. He also belongs to
the Laurel Fire Department of which he has
been a member for seven years, and is also con-
nected with the Firemen's Relief Assocaition.
One child has been born to Mr. and Mrs.
Strohle, Minnie, now the wife of William

LEVI W. HENRY is successfully en-
gaged in farming in Chanceford township, cul-
tivating a fine sixty-eight-acre farm located
about three miles south of Brogueville. He

was born June 18, 1861, on an island in the
Susquehanna river which is part of Lancaster
county, son of Frederick Henry.

Mr. Henry obtained a country school edu-
cation, and spent the greater part of his boy-
hood and young manhood at Shenks, where he
attended school in the winter, assisting his
father, and in the summer months hired out
among the farmers. Mr. Henry was very in-
dustrious, and success crowned his efforts.
After his marriage he and his wife located in.
Chanceford township, and for two years Mr.
Henry worked out by the day. He then rented
a small twenty-one-acre farm in Chanceford
township on which he remained for two years.
They then removed to Lower Chanceford,
where he was employed on the Michener farm
until it was sold, when he removed to Peach
Bottom township and located on one of the.
Sample Fulton farms, for five years. He then
spent five years farming one of the James C.
Fulton farms, in Chanceford township, and
then bought the farm upon which he now re-
sides. It is situated about three miles south of
Brogueville, and is devoted to farming and to-
bacco raising.

Mr. Henry's home, a very interesting old
mansion known as the old ^Vilson homestead,
was built upward of eighty years ago. It was.
first built of unburnt brick, of various sizes,,
some being as heavy as ten pounds, while
others only weighed about six pounds, and the
clay for which was secured from the farm by
the builder, one of the Wilsons. It was a two-
story house, built on sound rock, the kitchen
being built on at the rear, and a large chim-
ney, measuring over four feet across, gracec^
the rear. Inside there is an old fireplace in the
kitchen, and the only way to reach the upstairs
rooms is through the kitchen, the stairs being
built there. The outside was weather-
boarded, and, the house as it stands to-day is.
one of the most substantial in the township :
Mr. Henry remodeled it in the summer of

Mr. Henry's religious connection is with
the Methodist Church. He joined Bethel M.
E. Church in 1890, later becoming a member
of the M. P. Church at Peach Bottom, and
since locating in Chanceford township he has
been attending the Chanceford Presbyterian
Church, in Lower Chanceford. In politics he
is a Republican, but he has never accepted

On Jan. 26, 1888, Mr. Henry married



Maggie Smith Wallace, who was born in
Hopewell township, daughter of William and
Mary (Heaps) Wallace. Mr. Wallace has
been a merchant, farmer and sawyer, and still
resides in Hopewell township. To Mr. and
Mrs. Henry have been bom children as fol-
lows : Ellwood, Ralph, Walter and Ethel Mary.
Both as a farmer and a citizen Mr. Henry is
held in high esteem, and he is considered one
of the substantial, representative men of
Chanceford township.

JACOB S. RUPERT was born near Ma-
rietta, Lancaster county, in 1864. The family
formerly lived in York county, and its mem-
bers have for the most part been identified
with that section. The paternal grandfather,
Jacob Rupert, was a native of York county,
and was a lifelong farmer there, near Strines-
town, where he died and where his remains are
buried. He and his wife had the following
children : Andrew, who is living in Illinois ;
Lewis, who died in North York borough ;
George, who died in Kansas; Mrs. Amanda
Bond, living in Indiana ; Jacob, of York City ;
and William.

William Rupert, father of Jacob S., was
likewise born in York county, and there re-
ceived his education. On reaching manhood
he went to Lancaster county, and for a number
of years followed farming there, being also en-
gaged for some time in the ore mines near Sil-
ver Springs, although this line of work he dis-
continued after his marriage. He died near
Silver Springs, and is buried there. His wife,
to whom he was united in 1856, was formerly
Elizabeth Souders, daughter of Ezra and Eliz-
abeth Souders, of Lancaster county, and she is
buried at Graybill's Church. In their religious
faith both were Dunkards. Their children
were: Ezra, a resident of Hummelstown,
Dauphin county; Amos, living m Iowa; Mrs.
Rupp, of Lancaster, Pa. ; Jacob S. ; and \\''il-
liam, who went to Kentucky, and has not been
heard from since.

Jacob S. Rupert was educated first in the
schools of Lancaster county, and then in Sprin-
getsbury township, York county, attending un-
til he was fourteen. He was then put out to
work for different farmers, and as he grew
older he continued at similar employment until
he had accumulated enough to start for him-
self. In 1886 he was married to Miss Annie
Hake, daughter of Harry and Catherine Plake,

of York county, and member of an old family
of Manchester township. After marriage the
young couple settled down on a farm at Stony
Brook. About 1891 Mr. Rupert moved to
Manchester township and took a position with
the Manchester Shale Brick Company, as chief
brick burner, and there he has been engaged
ever since, being one of that company's most
trusted and reliable employees. In politics he
is a Republican, and has done considerable-
party service; he has been both township as-
sessor and election board inspector. The mar-
ried life of Mr. and Mrs. Rupert has been
blessed by the birth of three daughters, Mabel,
Carrie and Nora.

CHESTER K. WENTZ, a retired farmer
living at Glenville, was born in Manheim town-
ship, Jan. 8, 1858, and is descended from one
of the oldest families of that vicinity, the first
settler of the name emigrating to Pennsylvania,
from Germany.

John B. Wentz, great-grandfather of Ches-
ter K., built the well-known tannery, in Man-
heim township, which still bears his name. He-
took up about 500 acres of land along the line
of the Western Maryland Railroad, where it
was all woodland and lived there until his

Jesse Wentz learned the tanning business
from his father and after the latter's death car-
ried on the tannery alone very successfully.
He traveled a great deal for that day, usually
on horseback, crossing the Alleghany moun-
tains in that way. He was a shrewd busi-
ness man and prospered greatly, and was very
popular through the county. He married a
Miss Hinkel, by whom he had four children,
John, Sarah, Margaret and Lemanda. Jesse
Wentz and his wife are both buried in Man-
heim township.

John Wentz was born in Manheim town-
ship, and on reaching manhood continued for
a time the tanning business so well established
by his father and grandfather. He bought the
tannery from his father, and ran it for five
years, after which he bought his grandfather's-
farm and worked it until his death, at the age
of sixty-one years. His wife was Lydia H.
Kline, daughter of John and Mary (Haines)'
Kline, of Frederick county, Md. They had-
issue as follows : Chester K. ; Laura, Mrs. G.-
E. i\I. Whesheim, of Maple Grove, Md. ; El-
mira J., wife of J. E. Shearer, of ]\IanheiiTi



township: Lettie V., who married J. A. Sny-
der, owner of the farm in Manheim township,
formerly the property of his wife's great-
grandfather, on which they reside; Amos A.,
deceased, who married Alice E. Armstrong;
and Charles A., who died when eight years old.

Chester K. Wentz received his education
in the public schools. At eighteen he com-
pleted his studies, and from that time till he
was twenty-five he worked with his father. At
that age he married but continued to work at
home for five years, after which he began farm-
ing on his own account. He bought one of his
father's farms in Manheim township, and op-
erated it eleven years. In 1902 he bought his
present home at Glenville, and began working
with the Hanover Produce Company, of that
place, having full charge of the office and the
business in general, until his health failed and
since then he has lived in retireinent.

Mr. Wentz married, in 1883, Miss Al-
bright, daughter of John R. and Julia (Dubs)
Albright, and three daughters have been born
to them. Bertha, Jennie and Elvia. Mr. Wentz
is a member of the "Stone Church" of the Re-
formed Lutheran denomination, and is an ac-
tive worker in it. In politics he is a Democrat
and while living in Manheim township served
as director of the school board for five years.

H. .C. SPAHR, a farmer of York county,
who is actively engaged in the cultivation of
his ninety-acre tract in Dover township, near
Davidsburg. was born in 1852. in Washington
township, son of H. M. and Rebecca (Silkni-
ter) Spahr.

William Spahr, grandfather of H. C, set-
tled in Washington township, where he bought
a tract of land and engaged in farming until a
few years prior to his death, when he retired
from active life. He died in 1882, and was in-
terred in Washington township. The children
born to him and his wife were : William, Cor-
nelius, H. M., George, Caroline Bentz, Mrs.
Kate Smith and Mrs. Elizabeth Hershey.

H. M. Spahr, father of our subject, was
born in 1828 in Washington township, and re-
ceived a common school education, working on
his father's farm until after his marriage. He
went to farming in Dover township, where he
bought a farm near Davidsburg; the house
which stands upon the farm was built by
John and Mary Knisely July 28, 1776. There
he followed farming for a number of years.

and then moved to Davidsburg', where he lived
a retired life and died at the age of seventy-
five years. In 1848 Mr. Spahr married Re-
becca Silkniter, daughter of Jacob and Cath-
erine Silkniter, of Dover township. Mrs.
Spahr died at the age of seventy-three, and she
and her husband are buried at Strayer's Church
in Dover township. Their children were as
follows : M. L., a prosperous farmer living
near Davidsburg, Dover township, married
Sarah Conn; H. C. ; Catherine married George
Rudisill and lives in Dover township ;and Wil-
liam W., born in i860, in Dover township, re-
sides on the old homestead in Dover township,
and is married to Elvina Keller, daughter of
Christian and Maria (Jacobs) Keller, of Dovev

H. C. Spahr was brought to Dover town-
ship when two years of age. He attended the
township scliDols until twenty-one years old,
assisting his father on the farm. In 1884 he
married Emma Keller, a sister of Mr. Spahr's
brother's wife, whose parents were prosperovis
farmers of Dover township. After marriage
Mr. Spahr located on the farm which he now
occupies, which consists of ninety acres of fine
farm land near Davidsburg, the land formerl)'
belonging to Mr. Spahr's father, of whom he
purchased it. The children born to H. C. and
Emma Spahr are as follows : Annie B., Rosa
A., Plenry C, Earl \Villiam, John C. and Otto
E., all at home; and C. Ervin, a very bright
young" man, who is teaching school in Dover
township, having attended the Y. C. N. of the
York Cpunty Academy.

In politics Mr. Spahr is a Democrat, and
is now efficiently filling the position of town-
ship clerk. In the Lutheran Church, of which
he is a consistent and valued member, he has
served as deacon. Mr. Spahr is a man who
commands the respect of his neighbors, and
has a large circle of warm personal friends.
The family is one of high standing in the com-

WILLIAM SHAFFER, a farmer of
Windsor township, York county, was born in
York township, July 8, 1852, son of Jacob and
Elizabeth (Hovis) Shaffer.

Jacob Shaffer, the paternal grandfather,
owned a small farm in Codorus township. He
died cjuite early in life, and his widow married
Jacob Miller, while her childi^en were still



Jacob Shaffer, Jr., was born on the Cotlo-
rus farm in 1820; as he grew older he worked
as a day laborer, and then acquired a farm in
York township where he passed his life. He
married Miss Elizabeth Hovis, born in Spring-
field township. His death occurred in 1866,
and hers in 1894. They were the parents of
ten children, two of whom died young, namely ;
Jacob, deceased ; Josiah ; Barbara, Mrs. Sam-
uel Ryder; Sarah; Malvina; Lucy, Mrs. Henry
Grothe ; Elizabeth, Mrs. Albert Geisleman ;
William ; Caroline, Mrs. Jeremiah Lentz ; and
Emanuel, of York county, who married Miss
Ida Stine.

William Shaffer was sent to the township
schools until he was sixteen years of age, al-
though for the last two years of that time he
was really the head of the family, as his lather
had died. He never enjoyed school and would
always rather work on the farm than go. So
he stayed on with his widowed mother and
managed the farm. In 1882 he bought his
present farm, originally a tract of fifty-
one acres, to wdrich he has added until he now
possesses ninety-six acres. He has made
many improvements on the place, and is a pro-
gressive and up-to-date fanner, with a most
beautiful home.

Mr. Shaffer was married, in 1881, to Miss
Rachel Dietz, daughter of Jacob Dietz, of
Springetsbury township, and they are the par-
ents of two children, Mazie D., and Chauncey
W. In politics Mr. Shaffer is a Democrat,
and in religion he has been, since the age of
nineteen, a member of the Lutheran Church.
He has made his own way in the world by
honest toil and perseverance, and has gained
the respect of the entire community.

MYRON S. SULLIVAN, of York, is a
descendant of Cornelius Sullivan, who was
born in 1749, and emigrated from Ireland to
the Province of Maryland. He enlisted in the
Maryland Line, from Frederick county, Md.,
Dec. 25, 1776, and served gallantly throughout
the Revolutionary war. After the war he lo-
cated near Manchester, Carroll Co., Md., where
he died, being buried in Kreider's churchyard.
He was married, but the number of children
born to him and his wife is not known to a
certainty, though it is thought that there were
three, Jacob, Daniel and Cornelius by name.

Jacob Sullivan married a ]\Iiss Hoffman,
and they had ten children, one of whom, lacob

(2), married Margaret Ann King, whose
grandmother was a sister of Capt. John Bear,
a commander in the Pennsylvania Line during
the Revolutionary war, and whose other sister
married the father of Daniel Boone, the cele-
brated Kentucky pioneer. Jacob Sullivan (2)
was the father of ; Nicholas King ; Jesse Clay ;'
Theodore Jacob ; Amos G. ; Albert C. ; two
daughters who died in infancy; and Mary E.,
who married James St. Clair, a Kentuckian,
who died in Carson City, Nev., his wife dying
a few years later at her father's home in Peru,

Jacob Sullivan (2) had learned the car-
riagemaking business in Maryland witii A.
Caylor, and had conducted a business there, and
upon removing to Peru, Ind., went into busi-
ness at that place with his son, Theodore Jacob,
until his death, which occurred in 1887, when
he was aged seventy-eight years, six days. The
business was merged into what is now known
as the Sullivan & Eagle Carriage Co., Peru.

Nicholas King Sullivan was born at Wake-
field, Md., Jan. 28, 1834, and learned carriage-
building with his father, succeeding to the busi-
ness at Wakefield. Here he remained until
1865, when he removed to Peru, Ind. After
a stay of only two years there, however, he re-
moved to Baltimore, Md., and in 1879 came to
York, Pa., where he made his home and en-
gaged in the blacksmith's trade, retiring some
years ago. The family affiliated with the Pres-
byterian Church. In 1862 Mr. Sullivan mar-
ried Miss ]\Iary Elizabeth Lambert, daughter
of Jesse and Julia (Mitten) Lambert, of New
Windsor, Carroll Co., Md., and they became
the parents of the following children : Jessie
Correna, who married S. J. Greenwalt, of
York; Myron Seward; Elsie Alma, at home;
Julia E., the widow of William J. Nes, of
North Beaver street; Sterling St. Clair; Homer
DeWitt ; and one child who died in infancy.

Myron Seward Sullivan, of the baking firm
of Sullivan Bros., was born in Wakefield. Md.,
Nov. 20, 1865, and received his education in
the public schools. At the age of thirteen years
he started to learn the baking business with
Herman Sauppe, of York. He worked at the
trade as journeyman until 1899, when the pres-
ent firm of Sullivan Bros, was formed, and the
business established on South George street,
where they remained six months. 'Thev then
removed to Penn street, for one vear, and
thence to Philadelphia street, where thev re-



mained two years. Their next removal was
to South Water street, their present location
being at Nos. 222-226, which place they pur-
chased of Amos E. Reiker, with whom they
were formerly employed. Here they have
built up a flourishing trade and represent the
best in their line of business. They are among
the most active young business men of York.

In 1885 Myron S. Sullivan married Sallie
C. Angell, of Taneytown, Md., and they have
four children : Mearl Irwin died in childhood ;
James Walter died in childhood ; William Ells-
worth and Margaret Irene are at home.

Sterling St. Clair Sullivan is engaged with
his brother Myron Seward in the baking busi-
ness of Sullivan Bros. He was born in Price-
ville, Baltimore Co., Md., July 20, 1876, and
received his education in the public schools of
York. At the age of twelve years he became a
carrier for the York Gazette, being one of that
paper's first carriers. When fourteen years old
he secured a position at Pentz' Photograpn
Gallery as general utility boy, and soon after
worked as office boy. He was then employed
by the York Daily, as carrier, and then went
to learn the baking business with his brother.
He was employed by Fox & Bro. prior to the
establishment of the present firm of Sullivan

In religion Mr. Sullivan is a member of the

Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 162 of 201)