Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 166 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 166 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of whom married Geneva Patterson and re-
sides at Red Lion, and the latter married
(first) Ida Strayer and (second) Annie Cam-
ber; and Leo F., of North Hopewell township.

Harry A. Miller attended school from the
age of seven years in his native locality, and
when Winterstown became a borough he be-
came a student at the Miller school, which
stood on a part of the homestead. He lived at
home on the farm until he was nineteen years
old, and then went to Middletown, Pa., where
he hired out for one year for $12.50 a month.
He drove a team and worked in a gristmill one
mile out of Lancaster City, there making four-
teen dollars. After his return to York county
he farmed tobacco for two years for Andrew
Duncan and J. H. Myers. Mr. Miller then
took a trip to the W^est and worked for a time
in Muscatine, Iowa, driving and teaming, and
from there went to New Mexico, where he
worked in a brickyard at Albuquerque for a
time. After all this wandering and many ad-
ventures he reached home safely, and for the
following year farmed tobacco, later renting
a small farm which he operated for four years.
He then farmed land owned by P. A. and S.
Small for five years. In 1893 he moved onto
the old homestead, which he bought as stated,
and where he has made many excellent im-
provements of a substantial character.

Mr. Miller was married June i, 1883, to
Miss Agnes Mellinger, born in Windsor town-
ship, daughter of Milton and Martha Ann
f Hellenburg) Mellinger. Jacob Mellinger, the
paternal grandfather of Mrs. Miller, lived first
in Windsor township, and then moved to the
city of York, where he died. Mrs. Miller's
parents were born in Windsor township, the
father in 1840 and the mother in 1842. After-
ward they settled in Harford county, Md., and
after marriage they moved to \Vinterstown,
York county, and then to Windsor township



Mr. Mellinger farmed William Anstine's farm
for four years and then the King farm in Hope-
well township from 1871 until 1903. They
now reside in Shrewsbury township. They
have had children as follows : Agnes, Mrs.
Miller, the eldest ; Wiley, of near York, mar-
ried to Lizzie Stark ; James, on the Dr. King
farm in Hopewell township, who married Lou-
isa Wolf; Landis, of Adamsville, married to
Clara Faulkner; Arabella, Mrs. William Stark,
of Glen Rock ; Jacob, deceased ; Alice ; and
Maggie, wife of James Attick. Mr. Mellinger
is a strong Democrat.

Mr. Miller was reared in the Union Evan-
gelical Church. He has served as school di-
rector for the past five years and is a man well
and favorably known all over the township.
His family consists of three children : Florence
M., Milton H. and Latimer.

MARTIN LUTHER HONSERMYER
was born in Berlin, York county, Oct. 31,
1864, of German ancestr}^ his parents, Charles
and Mary Honsermyer, having been born and
married in Germany, near the city of Bremen.

Charles Honsermyer had two sisters, Mary,
the wife of Henry Baughman, and Charlotte,
wife of Christian Strater, both now deceased.
He and his wife came to America in 1855, set-
tled at York, Pa., and there passed the remain-
der of their lives on a small farm. They died
within a year of each other, Mr. Honsermyer
in 1887 and his wife in 1888. Their children
were: Martin L. ; Mary, the wife of Albert
Swantzer; Sarah, Mrs. William Ottmyer;
Emma Jane, who married Frederick Blae-
baum ; Kate, wife of Christian Hentze ; Charles
H., who resides in York township, married to
Amanda Inners ; and Louisa, married to Henry
Hurst, of York.

Martin L. Honsermyer was sent to the pub-
lic schools of York township for about four
months each year during his boyhood, but at
an early age he was compelled to go to work
and first learned cigarmaking. After working
at that for several years he took up the
butcher's trade, which he followed for some
time. He next tried carpentry for a while and
then in 1889 settled down to farming on prop-
erty which he purchased in York township.
He tilled that place successfully for ten years
and then in April, 1903, bought his present
farm, formerly known as the Hartman prop-,
erty, situated close to the southern limits of



BIOGRAPHICAL



869



York, on the old Powder Mill road. He has
greatly improved the place, while its fine loca-
tion renders it still more valuable.

In 1889 Mr. Honsermyer married Amanda,
adopted daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry
Shleeter, and their union has been blessed with
seven children, namely : Charles L., Ada M.,
Paul H., Ruth M., William Earl, Clarence A.
and Emma Grace. Mr. Honsermyer has been
a member of the Salem Lutheran Church of
Paradise, Springfield township, since he was
seventeen years of age, and is a man held in
high esteem in the community in which he
lives.

ALBERT C. BOLL, proprietor of the
Ebner Cafe, and a well known citizen of York,
York county, was born April 29, 1863, son of
Jacob W. and Mary (Brasch) Boll, and grand-
son of Jacob Boll.

Jacob Boll, the grandfather, came to York
from Germany, settling at Penn Park, where
he carried on a shoemaking business all of his
life, dying about 1870, aged seventy-three
years. Unto him and his wife were born four
children: William, Jacob W., Henry and
Catherine. In religious belief he and his wife
were German Catholics. In politics he was a
Democrat.

Jacob W. Boll was born in York county,
and was educated in the old common schools.
When a young man he engaged in the gro-
cery and liquor business at No. 232 South
George street, continuing therein for many
years. He finally sold out this business, and
for some years previous to his death engaged
in the sale of musical instruments on West
Market street, where McFall's haberdashery
is now located. Mr. Boll died in 1881, aged
forty- four years. To him and his wife nine
children were born, as follows : Elizabeth,
John, Albert, Mary, Victoria, Clara, Edward,
Cecelia and Lewis. In religion he was a Cath-
olic. After the death of her husband Mrs.
Boll married Mr. Edward Ebner, who at that
time owned Ebner's Cafe, which had been
doing business for twenty-seven years. No
children were born of this union. iVIrs. Ebner
died in 1891, aged fifty-six years.

Albert C. Boll was educated in the common
schools of York, and St. Mary's Parochial
school. When still a lad he entered Ebner's
Cafe as a waiter, was later employed as a sales-
man for this institution, and at Mr. Ebner's



death he purchased the cafe, which he has op-
erated to the present time. He has one of the
best operated cafes in Pennsylvania, all kinds
of game being served at all times, and his wine-
list is as complete as is to be found anywhere
in the State. Under Mr. Boll's able manage-
ment the cafe has done a flourishing business^
and it may be truly said that Ebner's Cafe is a
place "where every bite's a relish."

Mr. Boll was married in 1884 to Miss Car-
rie Shillow, of Cohmibia, Pa., daughter of
Charles Shillow, a prominent business man of
that city. One child has been born to this
union, Charles E. In his political views Mr.
Boll is a Democrat. He has been vice-presi-
dent of the Vigilant Fire Co., and also served
out the unexpired term of L. T. Deminger, de-
ceased, as president. Mr. Boll belongs to the
Knights of St. Paul, being one of the ten orig-
inal members ; the York Volunteer Fireman's
Relief Association; the Washington Fraternal
and Beneficial Society No. i ; and the Frater-
nal Order of Eagles, of which he was one of
the five men who founded the Order in York.
He represented the latter society in four states,
viz. : Minneapolis, Minn., New York, Balti-
more, Md., and Denver, Colo. He is a past
worthy president and district deputy grand
president of York Aerie, No. 183, and belongs
to the Grand Aerie. Mr. Boll also belongs to
the Merry Band Camping Club, which was or-
ganized in 1876; the Homeless 26, of Pitts-
burg; and the Oriental Club, of York. In
all of these associations Mr. Boll has taken an
active part, and he is very popular in all organ-
izations. He is a member of St. Mary's Church
in which he is an active worker. He was chair-
man of the committee in charge of a picnic held
in July, 1905, which netted the church over
$1,000, something never known before in any
church in the county. Mr. Boll has traveled
a great deal, and is but lately returned from a
trip to Los Angeles, Cal., and as far north as
Seattle, Washington.

FRANK L. MILLER, a resident of Fair-
view township, represents a substantial type
of citizen, such as constitutes the real strength
of the nation. Although still young he has
established a good trade as a butcher, is known
for the honesty and fairness of his dealings,
and manifests the active and intelligent interest
in public afifairs which the country may justly
look for in its sons, but does not always find.



870



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Mr. Miller belongs to a family long resi-
dent in Fairview township, where his grand-
father, Jonas Miller, was one of the early set-
tlers. Ha owned the farm which is now the
property of George Bower, and was engaged
in its cultivation till his death. His wife,
w'hose maiden name was Nancy Berger, was
buried beside him at Mt. Zion cemetery. The
children born to them were : Andrew S. ;
Henry and John, both living in Fairview town-
ship; Jane, Mrs. Frank Miller, of Harrisburg;
Mary, Mrs. Peter Hoover, of Lisbon, Cum-
berland county; Lucinda, the wife of George
Bower, who lives in the old Miller home in
Fairview township ; and Annie and Susan, un-
married, who live in Lewisberry.

Andrew S. Miller was born Oct. 26, 1836.
He was given a common school education, and
on reaching an age to choose his occupation,de-
cided to become a butcher. He learned the
business at Lisbon under Peter Seidle, and fol-
lowed it about five years. He then moved to
Fairview township, bought a place of seventy-
eight acres situated near the Navoo school and
there followed farming till his death, which
took place in 1894. He married Miss Sarah
Ann Sheaffer, who was born Oct. 16, 1839,
and died Feb. 24, 1903. Both are buried in Mt.
Zion cemetery. Mr. Miller was a Democrat in
politics, and in religious matters a member of
the Lutheran Church, in which he took a very
active part. Andrew and Sarah Miller were
the parents of ten children, namely : Alice,
born Dec. 11, 1858, who married John Leach
and died; Ida, May 8, i860, and Flora, Oct.
18, 1862, who both died young; Rebecca, Oct.
27, 1864, who died aged twenty-three; Nancy,
Aug. 8, 1866, living at New Cumberland;
John L., Jan. 15, 1868, who married Miss
Jeannette Kreutzer, and lives in Fairview
township; Jacob S., Oct. 31, 1869, who mar-
ried Miss Rosa Smith, and lives in the same
locality; Katie, Oct. 9, 1870, who married
(first) Mr. Pencil, and (second) James Wise,
of Harrisburg; Frank L. ; and Charles, July
5, 1879, who married Miss Rebecca Sherman,
and lives in Lisbon.

Frank L. Miller was born in Lower Allen
township, Cumberland county, Sept. 30, 1872.
His education was received in Fairview town-
ship, where he attended the Navoo school till
he was about nineteen. From his father he
learned to be a butcher, and worked at that
trade at home for five years, after which he



spent five more in the employ of John K. Tay-
lor on Slate Hill. In 1898 he moved to his
present location, and went into business for
himself, putting up new buildings and making
a thoroughly up-to-date establishment, one of
the best in the county. He kills hogs and calves
and attends the Broad street market in Harris-
burg.

Mr. Miller was united in marriage Oct. 11,
1896, to Miss Myrtle Drawbaugh, daughter of
Henry and Naomi (Yencel) Drawbaugh, of
Fairview township, the former now deceased.
To this marriage no children have been born.
Mr. Miller is a Democrat in politics, and has
served efficiently as inspector of the election
board.

AMOS ALBERT LEBER. The Leber
family was settled in York county in the latter
portion of the Eighteenth century, and the
name has been conspicuously identified with the
civic and industrial affairs of the county from
that early pioneer epoch to the present time.
In the sketch of Jacob H. Leber, appearing
elsewhere are given detailed genealogical
data. Amos A. Leber is a representative of
the fourth generation of the family in York
county, while it has been his ably to uphold
the prestige of the honored name which he
bears, since he is one of the reputable and pop-
ular citizens of his native township of Lower
Windsor, where he has passed his entire
life.

Peter Leber, son of Conrad and Maria
Leber, was born on the paternal homestead
farm, at Butcher's Ore Bank, Lower Windsor
township, Oct. 12, 1798, and his education was
secured entirely in the German schools main-
tained in the locality in that early era of the
county's histor}'. In his youth he learned the
milling trade, which he continued to follow as a
vocation for twenty-seven years, in Oberdorf's
mill, now known as Anstine's mill. He was
three times married. The name of his first
wife is not recorded. His second was Mrs. Eliz-
abeth Blymyer, widow'of Grimm Blymj'er ; and
his third marriage was to Miss Eugenia Miller.
The children, of the first marriage were as fol-
lows : Israel, who died in youth ; Mary Ann,
wife of Hon. George Howenstine, died in Lan-
caster county; Catherine, wife of Elias Rice,
died in Mount Joy, that county, leaving one
son, Eli ; Miss Susan resides in the city of
Philadelphia; and Miss Leah resides in York.



BIOGRAPHICAL



871



The following brief record is given of the chil-
dren of the second marriage : Peter, who
served three years as a member of a Pennsyl-
vania regiment during the Rebellion, having
participated in the battles of Gettysburg and
other prominent engagements, later removed
to Fremont, Ohio, where he married and
where he still resides; Elizabeth became
the wife of Henry Beck, and was a resident of
Wrightsville, this county, at the time of her
death; Amos Albert, subject of this sketch, was
next in the order of birth; and Granville, who
resides in Fremont, Ohio, married (first) Miss
Mary Ann Craley, of Lower Windsor town-
ship, a sister of Aaron Craley.

After retiring- from the milling business
Peter Leber purchased about one hundred
acres of land at East Prospect, this county,
and there engaged in agricultural pursuits,
while he also assisted in the laying out of the
town of East Prospect, a portion of which is
located on his farm. He platted this addition
and sold the lots, while he also sold from his
farm the land now comprised in the cemetery
of the village mentioned. He died on this
homestead in 1870, and his third wife survived
him by about a decade. He w"as a prominent
and valued member of the Evangelical church,
in which he served as classleader, exhorter, etc.
He was originally an old-line Whig in politics^
later espousing the cause of the Know Nothing
party and finally identifying himself with the
Republican party at the time of its organiza-
tion, ever afterward supporting its principles.
His second wife, mother of our subject, died in
1840.

Amos Albert Leber was born in the family
home near Oberdorf's mill. Lower Windsor
township, this county, April 24, 1841, his
father being in charge of the mill at the time.
His early educational discipline was secured
principally in the common schools at East
Prospect, the family having removed to the
farm there when he was about six years old,
and he early began to lend his aid in the prose-
cution of the work of the farm, attending
school during the winter terms only. In 1862,
a few months after attaining his legal majority,
he was married, and for the four ensuing years
he lived in the home of his father-in-law, in
Lower Windsor township, his wife having
been housekeeper for her widowed father for
about eleven years. During the time of his
residence on this farm, Mr. Leber had charge



of its cultivation and management to a large
extent. In the spring of 1869 he located on
his present fine farm of forty-five acres, in
Lower Windsor township, where he has ever
since maintained his home. He purchased the
property from George Paules, who had secured
the same from David Hengst. The latter
erected the present dwelling on the place in
1847, a"d also a store and other farm build-
ings, having here conducted a general mer-
chandise business for a number of years, after
which he removed to the West. Mr. Leber
has improved and remodeled the residence, and
in 1892 he built his present large and well-
equipped barn, the former one having been de-
stroyed by fire, enkindled by lightning, in the
same year. He is one of the progressive and
successful farmers of the county, and everj'-
thing about his place bespeaks thrift and pros-
perity. In politics Mr. Leber has ever given
an unqualified allegiance to the Republican
party, having cast his first presidential vote for
Abraham Lincoln, in 1864, and having ever
since done his part in supporting the party
cause. He was reared in the faith of the
Evangelical church, of which his wife is a
member, and which he regularly attends. In
a fraternal way he is identified with Winona
Lodge, No. 944, I. O. O. F., at East Prospect;
and with Aurora Council. No. 304, Jr. O. U.
A. M., in the same town.

On Christmas day, 1862, Mr. Leber was
united in marriage to Miss Matilda Kline, who
was bom in Lower Windsor township,
July 8. 1842, daughter of Peter and
Mary Ann (Flory) Kline, the former of
whom died in 1867, the latter having
passed away in 1852, after which Mrs.
Leber kept house for her father, as be-
fore stated. In conclusion of this resume we
enter brief record concerning the children of
Mr. and Mrs. Leber : Mary Ann, born in
1863, became the wife of Daniel S. Baer, and
her death occurred at their home, in Chance-
ford, this county, in 1891, her husband and
three children surviving her. Arvilla, bom
Oct. 8, 1864, is the widow of Simon W. Kisc
and resides in East Prospect, having four chil-
dren. Peter Harrison, born April i, 1866,
died in infancy. George Henry, born Oct. 4,
1867. married Fannv Kraft, and they have
three children. He is employed as clerk in a
general store at East Prospect. The fifth child
died in infancv. unnamed. Edwin C, born



872



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Feb. 16, 1872, has attained marked success as
an educator. He secured his rudimentary ed-
ucation in the district schools, which he at-
tended until he had attained the age of sixteen
years, after which he spent two years in the
York County Academy and the next two years
in the Northern Indiana Normal School, at
Valparaiso, Ind., being there graduated as a
member of the class of 1894. Soon afterward
he entered the normal school at Millersville,
Pa., where he was graduated in 1896. He be-
gan teaching in the district schools of his home
county before entering the York County
Academy, later taught for three years in the
Will school, in Lower Windsor township, ami
an equal period in the village schools at York-
ana. While holding the position last noted he
taught one term also in the York County
Academy. Later he held the principalship of
the schools at York Haven for two years, and
then, in the autumn of 1902, assumed his pres-
ent incumbency as superintendent of the pub-
lic schools at Dauphin, Dauphin county, Pa.
He remains a bachelor at the time of this writ-
ing. Arthur, born July 31, 1873, a manufact-
urer of cigars at Red Lion, this county, mar-
ried Savilla Smith and they have two children.
James Irving-, born Jan. 3, 1875, is engaged in
the bakery business at Red Lion. He married
Octavia Detwiler and they have four children.
Matilda Angeline, born Nov. 23, 1876, re-
mains at the parental home. John, born Sept.
29, 1877, is a baker by trade and resides in
Red Lion. Clara, born April 20, 1879, i^ the
wife of Edward Garner, of East Prospect, and
they have no children. Bertha, born April 28,
1883, and Virginia, born April 19, 1887, are
still beneath the parental rooftree.

FREDERICK BENTZ, a well-to-do
agriculturist of Warrington township, York
county, was born Aug. 15, 1851, son of Jacob
L. and Elizabeth (Slothour) Bentz.

Jacob L. Bentz was born in Dover town-
ship, this county, and was educated in the com-
mon schools. He took up farming when young
and followed that occupation all of his life,
owning a farm of 155 acres in Warrington
township, and was considered a prosperous
farmer of his day. His first wife, Elizabeth
Slothour, bore him eleven children, as follows :
John ; Michael ; Susan, deceased, who married
Henry Arnold ; Mary, deceased, who married
John T. Wireman ; Jacob; Lewis; Rebecca,



married to Samuel Deardorff; David; Leah,
married to Rudolph Saunders; Adam; and
Frederick. In religious belief Mrs. Bentz was
a Lutheran, and she died in that faith in 1851,
at the age of forty years. Mr. Bentz afterward
married Susan Hartman. His death occurred
in 1873, when he was aged seventy years.

Frederick Bentz was educated in the com-
mon schools of Warrington township, and has
devoted all his life to farming. In 1879 Mr.
Bentz purchased his present home, which con-
sists of 115 acres, and he has cultivated it until
it is at the present time one of the finest in the
township.

Mr. Bentz married, in 1875, Miss Laura E.
Frick, daughter of Christian P. and Matilda
J. (Speck) Frick, and four children have been
born to this union: George E., Harry F.,
Orie B. and one that died in infancy.

In their religious belief Frederick Bentz
and his wife are devoted members of the Ger
man Reformed Church. In politics, while
never seeking public office, Mr. Bentz has al-
ways voted the Democratic ticket, and watches
with interest the success of his party. He is
considered one of the substantial men of his
township, and his knowledge of things agri-
cultural is conceded to be far above the av-
erage.

CHARLES G. MYERS, who is a promi-
nent and industrious farmer of Codorus town-
ship, was born in that township, son of Elias
H. and Amanda Glatfelter (Stover) Myers.

John Myers, his grandfather, was born in
North Codorus township, York Co., Pa., and
had a large tract of land which he farmed in
North Codorus and Codorus townships. He
married Estra Henry and they had children as
follows: Elias H.; Jesse, deceased; Lydia,
living in Springfield township; Levi, living in
Codorus township ; Harriet, deceased ; Naomi ;
Edward ; and Mary. The mother of these chil-
dren died at the age of seventy-five years, and
the father at the age of sixty-seven years. Both
are buried at Shuster's church in Springfield
township.

Elias H. Myers, father of Charles G., at-
tended the schools of Codorus township, and
assisted his father at farming. In 1859 he mar-
ried Amanda Glatfelter, a daughter of Jacob
and Nancy Stover, and located where they
now reside, on his father's farm. They have
a fine farm of 130 acres of good land in the



BIOGRAPHICAL



873



northern part of the township, which he has
built up and farmed well. For the last four-
teen years, however, he has lived a retired life,
which he has justly earned. To Mr. and Mrs.
Myers came children as follows: John H.,
who married Neeley Weaver, is the well
known merchant tailor, of York. Edward G.,
a graduate of the University of Maryland, and
admitted to the bar Jan. 8, 1900, now practic-
ing in York, married Emma Glatfelter. Agness,
who is the wife of William Stover, is living in
North Codorus township. Charles G. is the
subject of this sketch. Annie, the wife of
Charles Diehl, a Lutheran minister, is living
at Chambersburg, Franklin Co., Pa. Harvey
J. is a tailor of Chicago, Illinois.

Charles G. Myers attended the township
schools and assisted his father at farming. For
thirteen years he farmed his father's farm, and
in 1903 bought the Levi brothers' farm of
forty-five acres, upon which are many fine
buildings. This farm is situated a short dis-
tance from his father's, and is well kept.

Mr. Myers married Clara Holtzapple, a
daughter of Israel and Annie Lecrone. Their
children are: Lloyd, Paul, George and Naomi.
Mr. Myers is now serving as school director
of his township, in which he is a well known
and respected citizen. In politics he is a
Democrat.

LEVI GERBRICK, proprietor of the hotel
at Railroad borough, York county, was born
in Shrewsbury township, in 1867, son of Noah
Gerbrick, and grandson of John Gerbrick.

John Gerbrick was a carpenter by trade and
this he followed for a number of years, and
then engaged in farming. His children were :
William, Jacob, Noah, Levi and Lydia.

Noah Gerbrick, father of Levi, was born in
Shrewsbury township, where he received a



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 166 of 201)