Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 167 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 167 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


common school education and grew up on Kis
father's farm. He followed farming until
1895, when he moved to Glen Rock, where he
now resides. He married Servilla Warner,
and their children were : Levi ; Mary, wife of
J. F. Lentz, a passenger fireman on the North-
ern Central Railroad; and Henry A., a car-
penter at Glen Rock.

Levi Gerbrick attended school in Codorus
township, and was a pupil of the Rohrbaugh
school until he was nineteen years of age. He
then entered upon railroad work, becoming a
brakeman for the Northern Central Railroad,



and followed that for several years. He then
accepted the position of fireman for the Glen
Rock Wire Cloth Company, at Glen Rock, and
continued there about ten years. He was one
of the original stockholders of that company.

In August, 1905, Mr. Gerbrick bought tlie
"Jackson House," at Railroad. Under his
management this is becoming one of the best
hostelries along the line. Mr. Gerbrick has
modern ideas and he has just completed the in-
stallation of steam heat and has equipped the
whole house with a system of baths, with hot
and cold water. He has thirteen desirable
rooms, and he makes it his pleasure to have his
guests comfortable.

Mr. Gerbrick was married (first) to May
Greenplate, who died in 1894. His second
marriage was to Rebecca Trout. He is a mem-
ber of the Red Men and of the Heptasophs.

SAMUEL I. HOFF, for many years
prominent in real estate and insurance circles
in York, is one of the most unique figures in
York county. He was born in York, May 11,
1 86 1, son of Isaiah Hoff, a wagon builder of
that place, who was killed June 23, 1864, in
front of Petersburg, Va., while gallantly bat-
tling for his country as a member of Company
C, 87th Regiment, P. V. I. Mr. Hoff's mother
was Katherine Kreider, daughter of Jacob
Kreider, a farmer of York county, and de-
scended from the Weigels, an old family of
York county, the settlement of Weigelstown, in
Dover township, having been founded by them.
Mr. Hoff's paternal line is as old in Pennsyl-
vania as the maternal, an island in the Susque-
hanna, still known as Hoff's Island, having
been owned and named by his great-grand-
father.

Mr. Hoff was an only son, and having been
bereft of his parents at a tender age he ran
away to Kentucky, where for a time he carried
water to workingmen for twenty-five cents a
day. He next became assistant in a store in
Illinois, and then found employment on a farm
at Wolf Creek, Tenn., at three dollars a month.
After that, while still a mere lad, young Hoff
made his way to New Orleans, and found em-
ployment as cabin boy on the sailing ship
"Hagerstown," at five dollars a month. On
this stanch old vessel he made an extended voy-
age, touching at Callao, Peru, Liverpool, Eng-
land, and Shanghai, China, and came back to
the Peruvian coast ; from there went to Dover,



874



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



England, and London, Calcutta, and finally
San Francisco, Cal. He has sailed over the
North Atlantic, South Atlantic, North Pacific,
South Pacific,Mediterranean, Red Sea — in fact
has made ports in every country that flies a
flag. Having been honorably discharged after
a term of years, Mr. Hoff returned to York,his
birthplace, on a visit, but remained only a few
days, his roving disposition taking him once
more from the place of his nativity. He found
his way to Galveston, Texas, and became em-
ployed herding cattle on the Brazos river, be-
ing a cowboy for several years, at the end of
which time he returned to York. Remaining
but a very brief time, however, he went to Phil-
adelphia and joined the sailing vessel "Jennie
V. Strickler," as seaman. Leaving the sailing
vessel after a time, Mr. Hoff joined the crew
of forty-five men on the American ship
"Star," which foundered off the River Plate, in
the Pacific ocean, and for eleven days the sur-
vivors were without food or drink. Of the crew
of forty-five men Mr. Hoff and a companion
were the only two saved. They were picked
up by a Norwegian bark and carried back to
the English coast. Finding his way to Liver-
pool, Mr. Hoff joined the White Star Line of
passenger steamers, and successfully took
the post commander's examination when only
nineteen years of age; he served for one year
as second officer on the "Germanica," one of
the White Star Line ocean passenger steamers.
At the expiration of this service Mr. Hoff again
returned to York, but still possessed of the rov-
ing spirit, he went to Washington, D. C, and
enlisted on a United States monitor, serving
under First Lieutenant York Nole. Finally
he became a railroader on the Illinois Central,
subsequently entering the service of the North-
ern Central, and later the Pennsylvania Rail-
road Company. He continued in the railroad
service until Dec. 5, 1883, when he lost his
right leg in a wreck.

After his recovery Mr. Hoff occupied him-
self as a clerk, and later was the proprietor ,of
a livery and exchange stable. Retiring from
the latter business he opened a real estate and
insurance business, in which venture he has
been eminently successful. Mr. Hoff has, in
his office, a frame containing four discharges
from the ocean service, and in the center of
these discharges a picture of the first vessel
on which he sailed as a boy. Tie rejoices in
the possession of twelve honorable discharges.



for in addition to thirteen years at sea and two
years in the United States Navy, he served as
a member of Company A, 8th Regiment, P.
N. G.

Mr. Hoff was married to Miss Virginia
Hildebrand, daughter of Reuben Hildebrand,
a car builder of York.

In fraternal circles Mr. Hoff is very well
known, belonging to several very prominent
orders. He is also a member of several for-
eign orders into which he was admitted in his
traveling days. Mr. Hoff, owing to his busi-
ness acumen and his untiring efforts, together
with his adaptability and quick recognition and
acceptance of business opportunities, is recog-
nized as rapidly approaching the front rank
among the financiers of York county. He has
won an enviable reputation as a business man
of integrity and as one who is always ready
to endorse measures that promise to be of per-
manent benefit to the community.

JACOB WILLIAM TROUT, of Chance-
ford township, is a son of Judge Valentine
Trout, and was born on the home farm in
Chanceford township. May 10, 1847.

Mr. Trout attended the public schools of
his day, but as the war came on at the time
his education was in progress his advan-
tages in that line were rather limited. He re-
mained at home on the farm until twenty-one
years of age, and then left home and worked
for Dr. B. F. Porter, with whom he remained
one year. His next employer was A. K. Fry,
for whom he worked in his store at Brogue-
ville, being the latter's first clerk. He then en-
gaged in carpentering for part of a year.
After his marriage he settled on his father's
place where he remained twenty years, in 1892
locating on his present farm of 131 acres,
which he has taken "right out of the woods."
His present residence was built in 1896, his
barn ten years previous to that time, the tim-
ber being taken off the farm. Mr. Trout fur-
nished the timber for the present New Har-
mony Presbyterian Church, with which he
united when a young man, and in which he
has been an elder for many years. In poli-
tics he is a Democrat.

On Jan. 4, 1872, Mr. Trout married Miss
Susan Miller, and they became the parents of
the following children : J. Thomas, a farmer
of Lower Chanceford township, who married
Miss Annie Atkins; Valentine C, of Phila-



BIOGRAPHICAL



«75



delphia, wIid married Miss Jane Ldiig-; Lizzie
J., at home; Ada M., a schuol teacner; and
James Kerwin, at home.

Philhp Miller, Mrs. Trout's grandfather,
was a native of Maryland, whence the fam-
ily removed to near York, and after his mar-
riage came to Chanceford township, where he
died. His wife.who had been Elizabeth Young,
died at the age of eighty-two years in the same
township. John Miller, son of Phillip, and
father of Mrs. Trout, was born near Brogue-
ville Station, Chanceford township, and lived
within two miles of his native place all of his
life. He had received but a limited education,
being eight or nine miles from a school house
when young, and all of the geography he
knew was studied after his sixtieth year. In
spite of handicaps Mr. Miller became a well
informed man, having a most retentive mem-
ory. He was a close Bible student. He had
learned the cooper's trade at Cross Roads,
Hopewell township, and followed same many
years. His first religious affiliations were
with St. Luke's German Reformed
Church, which he attended when a boy.
After his marriage he united with the Round
Hill Presbyterian Church, and later was one
of the organizers of the New Harmony Pres-
byterian Church, at the Brogue, and helped to
build the first church there. He was a devout.
God-fearing man. In politics he was a Demo-
crat. Mr. Miller's death occurred in his eighty-
eighth year. He married Catherine Shaull, and
they were the parents of the following children :
Elizabeth, who married Charles Wolf, of Hope-
well township; Catherine, who married John
Patterson, of Chanceford township ; Agnes,
who married Thomas J. Douglas, of Chance-
ford township ; Sarah, who married John R.
Saylor, of the same township, and Susan, Mrs.
Trout.

Catherine (Shaull) Miller was born in
Chanceford township, where her father, George
Shaull, owned the farm which is now divided
into three farms, owned by Harry L. Grove,
Samuel Anspacher and Mr. McClure. George
Shaull married Barbara Swisher, and they had
the following children : John, who married
Catherine Heffner; Elizabeth, who married
George Hubbard, and died in Hopewell town-
ship; Sarah, who married George Spear, (they
migrated to Cadiz, Ohio, where Mr. Spear fol-
lowed his trade of blacksmith, later removed to
Crawfordsville, Ind., and thence to Washing-



ton, Iowa, where he kept store, and to Berlin,
Iowa, where he was also a merchant, and where
he and his wife died leaving two children — ( i )
Amelia, Mrs. William Bowers, who has three
children, Fleta, Mrs. Samuel Rathbone, of
Red Oak, Iowa, Mildred, a teacher at Eldora,
Iowa, and Ella, Mrs. Roland Heard, of Gran-
ville, Iowa; and (2) Helen, Mrs. Luther Allen,,
of Ames, Iowa) ; Henry, who married twice,
his second wife being Mary McCoe (he died at
their home in Cumberland county. Pa.) ; Cath-
erine, the mother of Mrs. Trout ; Barbara, who
married William Workinger, and died at her
home in Hopewell township ; and George, who
died in 1903 in Hopewell township, (he mar-
ried Rebecca Wolf).

DAVID H. STRAYER is the owner of an
excellent sixty-four-acre farm in North Hope-
well township, York county, upon which he
was born Nov. 20, 1857, son of David W. and
Lydia (Strayer) Strayer, and brother of A.
F. Strayer, deputy revenue collector of York.

Mr. Strayer attended the Duncan public
school near his home, under H. H. Snyder,
until he was thirteen years old. At the age
of fourteen he left home to find work, having
fourteen cents in his pocket — a cent for each
year of his life. He found employment with
Benjamin Strickler, two miles from Columbia,
and worked through harvesting, the following
year attending school. From Mr. Strickler,
Mr. Strayer had received the high wages of
two dollars for harvesting, and one dollar for
general work. When school closed the follow-
ing spring the boy was employed by Ben Mus-
ser to drive a milk wagon in Columbia, and
for this work he received fifteen dollars per
month. After one and one-half years of that
employment he went to Chicago to see the city.
There he remained but a short time, returning
to Columbia, and being employed for a time as
a bowsman on a canalboat. He then returned
home and for one year worked for his father,
at the end of which time he went above York
to help take out timber for Edward Smyser.
continuing at that occupation for a short timt.
and then re-locating on the family homestead.
Mr. Strayer remained at home until liis mar-
riage.

On May 29, 1881, Mr. Strayer married
Ellen E. Grim, of North Hopewell township,
daughter of Daniel F. and Rebecca (Phillips)
Grim. After his marriage Mr. Straver re-



876



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



moved to a small twelve-acre tract close to the
home farm, which he worked for one and one-
half years, and then operated the home place on
shares for several years. In 1899 he purchased
the homestead, consisting of sixty-four acres,
remodeled the residence, built additions and
made genei'al improvements, and transformed
the place into an attractive and valuable prop-
erty.

Mr. and Mrs. Strayer are members of the
Evangelical Church, and he is a teacher in the
Sabbath school. In politics he is a consistent
Republican, and has served in a number of
township offices. To Mr. and Mrs. Strayer
have been born: Claudia A., Mrs. A. F. Sny-
der, of Winterstown ; Naomi R., a student of
the Millersville Normal school, and a teacher
in the public schools of North Hopewell town-
ship; Marvin E., who lives at home; and Lydia
Lovella, deceased.

In 1878 Mr. Strayer joined the Felton
band and continued to be a member of that or-
ganization four years, three years of which
time he was its leader. In 1883 he joined the
Loganville band, remaining with them until
1898 and playing several of the instruments
at different periods. He is a first-class musi-
cian and has an excellent reputation as a band
leader.

JOHN WESLEY HORN, of Yorkana,
who is engaged in the manufacture of cigars
upon an extensive scale, was born near York-
ana Jan. 29, 1854, a son of John and EHza
(Shapp) Horn.

John Horn, his father, likewise was born
and reared in York county, where he learned
the blacksmith's trade in his youth, continuing
to follow it for many years. After the close
of the Civil War he purchased fifteen acres of
land near Yorkana and there took up his resi-
dence. He erected a small shop on the place
in which he continued to follow the work of
his trade until he had attained the age of three-
score years and ten, when he received a para-
lytic stroke which caused him to be practically
an invalid until his death, in 1897, at the ag,e
of seventy-four years. He was a man of im-
pregnable integrity, loyal and earnest in every
relation, and ever commanded the regard and
confidence of all those whose life lines crossed
his own. He was a stalwart Republican in
politics and his religious connection was with
the United Evangelical Church, of which his



venerable widow also has long been a devoted
member. Mrs. Eliza (Shapp) Horn was born
in what is now the village of Yorkana, Lower
Windsor township, being a daughter of Jacob
Shapp, a blacksmith by trade and long identi-
fied with the agricultural interests of that town-
ship. The maiden name of his wife was
Slenker. Mrs. Horn makes her home in York-
ana, where she is held in affectionate regard
by her wide circle of friends. She is past sev-
enty-six years of age at the time of this writ-
ing. Of her children is presented the follow-
ing brief record : Alexander married Elizabeth
Leiphart and is a representative farmer of
Lower Windsor township ; Lavina and Amanda
died in early childhood; John W. was the
fourth in order of birth; Albert and Arthur
are deceased ; Eliza remains with her mother ;
Ida is the wife of Frederick Snyder, of York-
ana ; and Morris, who married Alice Keller, is
a resident of Yorkana.

John W. Horn obtained his early educa-
tion in the common schools, yet such were the
exigencies and conditions that his attendance
was desultory and of brief duration ; but hi.s
alert mentality has enabled him to make good
progress despite the handicap of his youth, for
he has learned valuable lessons under that wisest
of all head-masters — experience. From boy-
hood up he assisted his father on the farm, and
when his services were not thus required
worked for other farmers. He received thirty
cents a day when a boy and was permitted, as
were his brothers, to keep all that he was able
to earn when not needed at home. He continued
to be thus engaged during his early youth,
while for three years prior to his mar-
riage he worked at the carpenter's trade, and
learned the manufacture of cigars under the
direction of Samuel Shearer. When twenty-
one years of age Mr. Horn married, having
saved $600 as a basis for his domestic career.
The second year after his marriage he pur-
chased a house and ten acres of land in York-
ana, and early in the eighties engaged in the
manufacturing of cigars on his own responsi-
bility, utilizing the basement of his house for a
shop and employing only one assistant for some-
what more than a year ; thereafter he gradually
increased his facilities and corps of workmen,
in proportion to the gratifying expansion of
his business. For some time he sold his entire
product in the local market, but he now ships
goods (principally five-cent) to the most di-



BIOGRAPHICAL



877



verse sections of the Union, having gained a
high reputation for the various brands of cigars
which he manufactures. In the third year after
starting his enterprise Mr. Horn erected a httle
shop, 16 feet square and one and one-half
stories in height, which stood on the site of his
present office. About five years later he found
his quarters so inadequate that he built a
two-story addition to his factory, the new-
building being 32 feet in length. Two years
later he was again compelled to enlarge his
establishment; so he tore down the old build-
ing and erected his present finely equipped fac-
tory, the structure being 35 x 24 feet in di-
mensions and three stories in height. Mr.
Horn's force of operatives varies from twenty
to forty hands, according to the demands of the
trade, and his factory represents one of the im-
portant industrial enterprises of his section of
York county.

As a public-spirited and progressive citizen
Mr. Horn has ever manifested a deep interest in
local affairs, and his political allegiance is
given to the Republican party. He and his
wife are zealous and valued members of the
United Evangelical Church at Yorkana, in
which he has held various official positions, in-
cluding those of trustee and treasurer.

On Dec. 23, 1875, was solemnized the mar-
riage of Mr. Horn to Mary Ferree, who was
born and reared in York county, daughter of
Andrew and Elizabeth (Fauth) Ferree, the
former of whom, now deceased, was a repre-
sentative farmer of Lower Windsor township;
the latter now resides at the home of her daugh-
ter, Mrs. Horn. Children as follows have been
born to Mr. and Mrs. John W. Horn : Dora
May is the wife of William Seachrist, of York-
ana; Howard Grant remains at the parental
home and is employed in' his father's factory;
Lillian is the wife of Charles Heindel, of Low-
er Windsor township; Arthur is a resident of
Shrewsbury, York county; Mary, Elmira,
Daisy, John, Kerwin, Stella and Paul still re-
side with their parents.

HENRY C. MILLER was born Oct. 2,
1849, 'n Newberry township, where he now re-
sides, son of Henry Shetter and Mary Ann
(Groom) Miller.

John Miller, his great-grandfather, came
from Wales and settled along the Yellow
Breeches Creek, in Cumberland county, where
he was in the milling business, making cloth.



liis son, Abraham, was born Feb. 13, 1792, in
Cumberland county, received a common-school
education, and learned the milling business
from his father. He located at Roxboro, New-
berry township, and built a mill along Ben-
nett's Run, where he manufactured cloth, flour
and feed. He also engaged in distilling and
was the owner of about 400 acres of land. At
the time of his death he was a merchant there.
He died March 10, 1873, aged eighty-one years,
one month and two days, and was buried at
the old Miller burying ground which was then
on his farm. He was married (first), Aug.
19, 1814, by the Rev. J. G. Shoemaker, to
Mary Shetter, born Sept. 7, 1793, daughter of
John and Esther Shetter. She died Feb. 15,
1 861, having had these children : John S., born
July 15, 1815; Henry S. was the father of
Henry C. ; Solomon, born Jan. 22, 1819, died
when one year, two months old; Lydia, born
March 10, 1821; Daniel, Jan. 7, 1823; Philip,
Feb. 15, 1825 ; Louis, Feb. 5, 1827; Eliza, June
17, 1829; Mary, Nov. 21, 1834; and Abraham
S., March 11, 1838.

Henry S. Miller was born April 16, 1817,
at the old home in Newberry township, and
received a common-school education. For a
number of years he engaged in teaming for his
father, and then located on one of his father's
farms in Newberry township where he was a
farmer. There he remained twenty-one years,
and bought the old Thomas Garrison farm of
eighty acres, later adding twenty-one acres to
it, and then bought the old Benjamin Garrison
farm of 140 acres, which was adjoining the
others. Mr. Miller was a man of energy and
a tireless worker, being very successful and
making many friends. His death occurred
Dec. 27, 1 89 1, and he is buried at the Friends
Meeting House in Newberry township. On
Jan. 9, 1840, he married Mary Ann Groom,
daughter of William and Margaret (Reeser)
Groom. She was born Oct. 11, 1818, died
Jan. 9, 1887, and is buried beside her husband.
The children born to this worthy couple were :
(i) Lieut. William R., born Feb. 26, 1841,
married Rebecca Nebinger, deceased, daughter
of Dr. Robert Nebinger, of Lewisberry. He
enlisted Feb. 19, 1862, in Company F, 56th P.
V. I., served three years, lost his left arm at
Spottsylvania, and returned home with the rank
of lieutenant. (2) Eliza Jane, born Feb.
7, 1843, rnarried A. S. Hutton, of Lewis-
berry borough. (3) Margaret, born Aug. 26,



SjS



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



1844, married R. H. C. Nebinger, of Lewis-
berry borough. (4) Julius, born May 20, 1846,
died in infancy. (5) Warren, born May 22,
1847, married Mary Ann Gross, and they re-
side at Newmarket, York county. (6) Henry
C. (7) Lillburn, born July 15, 1850, married
Harriet Kauffman, and they reside at New
Cumberland, Cumberland county. (8) Evan
Groom, born Oct. 13, 1853, is an engineer in
New Mexico. (9) Malinda E., born April 9,
1856, is unmarried and lives at home with her
brother. (10) Jerome, born Dec. 25, 1858,
resides in York.

Henry C. Miller received his education in
the public schools of Newberry township, and
resided at home until he was nineteen years of
age. In 1869 he migrated to the West, stop-
ping first in Ohio, where he remained four
months ; thence removing to Illinois, he resided
there until the following Spring, and then, in
1874, he located in California where he en-
gaged in railroad carpentering and bridge
building. Later he located temporarily in Ore-
gon, Washington Territory, Idaho and again
in Washington, returning to his home in 1885.
In that year he bought the old homestead of
100 acres of land, where he and his sister Ma-
linda have since resided. Mr. Miller is un-
married.

Like his father Henry C. Miller is a Re-
publican. Mr. Miller's father served as school
director and at one time was supervisor of
Newberry township. Malinda, Mr. Miller's
sister, has been active in religious work, it be-
ing through her influence that the old Friends
meeting house was rebuilt. Mr. Miller is very
highly regarded throughout Newberry town-
ship, both as a man and a scientific and suc-
cessful farmer.

GEORGE WASHINGTON FULTON,
who owns a productive farm of sixty acres in
East Hopewell township, which is known as
the "Maple Lawn Farm," was born in March,
1859, near Stewartstown, in what is now
known as Hopewell township. His parents
were David and Jennie (Edie) Fulton.

David Fulton, the father, a son of Hugh
Fulton, was a native of Hopewell township,
and there spent his boyhood and youth. When
the Civil War commenced he was one of the
first to offer his services to his country, but he
broke down under the hardships and privations,
was taken sick at the front and died in the hos-



pital. His remains were brought home and
laid to rest in the cemetery at Stewartstown.
He married Jennie Edie, of Hopewell town-
ship, a daughter of Hays Edie; she died at
Stewartstown in 1872, a consistent member
of the M. E. Church. The children of David
Fulton and wife were : James William, now of
Stewartstown, married Savilla Glessick; Mary,
is the widow of Bates Hendricks ; George W. ;
and Ella is Mrs. George Carman, of Stewarts-
town.

In his youth George W. Fulton had many
hardships with which to contend, losing first
his father and, in 1872, his mother. He at-



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 167 of 201)